Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 24, 2014 1:53 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------

This was an okay episode, felt a bit slow though. I like how they reference some of the strategic thinking with cards. Takuma's rejection to Eiirchou's challenge was freaking hilarious lol.

The match was kinda boring though. I wasn't into it much but Eiirchou's skills looks like it improved again. And not to mention, he has so many graphs to study from. That's what I call dedication.
Aug 24, 2014 4:18 AM

Nov 2013
^ I didn't think the match was boring, a little worrying though. I'm kinda wondering where this series is going to end, with only four episodes left I hope they don't break the steady pace they've established so far. The budget this series got makes me worry for the future of a season 2.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Aug 24, 2014 4:19 AM

Aug 2008
Maruo is sooooo cute when he was convincing Takuma to play against him!I thought that the match was interesting, nice to see how Maruo can keep up with a top player.

Baby Steps keeps getting better for me, I really hope the producers will consider making a season 2!
Aug 24, 2014 4:46 AM

Aug 2010
That was a great episode :D

Really loving the match so far ^^ The way they show Maruo and Nabae's monologues and thoughts is awesome :3

Loved the long rallies. Some parts had not bad animation actually so that's good.

Nxt ep is gonna be even better. Can't wait for Maruo do start using his 1/100 control >.< (Not spoiler since it was in the PV :P)
Aug 24, 2014 7:00 AM

May 2013
Interesting match so far. He is gathering data in his mind while playing against Maruo.
Aug 24, 2014 7:07 AM

Feb 2012
I doubt Maruo will win.
Aug 24, 2014 8:23 AM

Aug 2009
I thought the match was far from boring. I literally was so indulged in this episode it ended quite quickly to me :(
I want Ei-chan to win so bad!! >.<
I truly hope he does, he is up against a difficult opponent.
Makes thing so much more interesting

Aug 24, 2014 10:01 AM

Dec 2011
Great episode....the real match is starting next week and the tension is getting high.New rival is watching Maruo as a potential rival.....4 episodes left to go
Aug 24, 2014 10:12 AM

Dec 2011
4 minutes wasted on some flashbacks from not long ago and the OP... lol...

Damn... Nabae from the first game... that's unlucky and lucky at the same time since he can eliminate the strongest guy around quickly.

So Nabae can adapt his play styke according to each opponent he faces heh.

Ohooo, it's time for Ei-chan to kick some Nabae ass and become the best aroudn B|

Hmmmm, I guess things are going well at the moment for Ei-chan but I think Nabae will turn the tables around :o
"Let justice be done, though the heavens fall."
Aug 24, 2014 10:38 AM

Sep 2011
Of course his first opponent would be the #1 seed. He's playing it well for now, but I really don't see how he can beat that guy. It's like Nabae is an improved version of Maruo. Nevertheless it's another really good match.

And the flashback in the beginning, for a moment I thought I was watching the wrong episode!!!
Aug 24, 2014 10:40 AM
Feb 2014
NHK make pretty good anime for 4 season already (Log horizon from last 2 season, and this for 2 season, and probably 5-6 with LH season 2), both anime have bad animation from limited budget but the story are top notch (not to say that the MC imo even have some similarities: nerd and strategist), i hope baby steps rating will climb up like log horizon

it's the calm before the storm..next episode will be very interesting, with both player is data gathering and all rounder type
Aug 24, 2014 10:45 AM

Jan 2013
This is where it gets good.
Really a great start for Eiichirou.
Aug 24, 2014 12:14 PM
Nov 2008
Matthz said:
And the flashback in the beginning, for a moment I thought I was watching the wrong episode!!!

At least I wasn't the only one you thought that.

It was so long that it surprised me.
Aug 24, 2014 12:55 PM

Jan 2011
I'm wondering if the repeated focus on Ei-chan's conditioning and the transformational body work might not be a hint as to how he can beat Nabae. If they play the same style and are equally skilled, it might all come down to physical stamina in the end.
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Aug 24, 2014 1:14 PM
Jul 2013
_Legna_ said:
Matthz said:

At least I wasn't the only one you thought that.

It was so long that it surprised me.

Same lol

Very good episode. I hope Ei-chan loses, there is no way he could beat the top ranked player.
Aug 24, 2014 1:40 PM
Jul 2018
Nabae vs. Eiichiro was great!

Nabae gathered the data of Eiichiro's play style was pretty impressive.
Aug 24, 2014 2:11 PM
Jan 2014
I'm really worried about Eiichirou now. Not that I doubt his skills, but he pretty much said it himself. Nabae knows him better than he does. They are both data collectors, but Nabae clearly has more experience in this field also. I have a bad feeling Nabae will start scoring fast and Eiichirou won't be able to do anything about it.
Aug 24, 2014 2:32 PM

Mar 2012
Oshoot, #1 seed match-up right from the get-go! @.@ Dang, I really want Maruo to win this one, especially after all the hard work he put in to transform his body.

Regardless of the outcome though, I thought the match was very interesting and I expect it to stay that way. Nabae clearly has the advantage after Maruo's surprising start.
Aug 24, 2014 2:54 PM

Nov 2013
Oh boy it is so on :3

I was really looking forward to these two playing but I never expected it to happen so soon. I mean dayum, the match is great so far, can't wait for next episode ^_^

Stark700 said:
This moment right here was probably the best one this episode imo. I really, really hope that a) this gets a second season b) we see more of Nabae. MOAR NABAE!

PS: Araya, I feel ya man. Must have been very shocking to see Note-kun play like that. I hope we see one of Araya's matches too.

5/5
Aug 24, 2014 3:41 PM

May 2012
Whoo more game next episode! Sooooo happy.
Aug 24, 2014 4:23 PM

Mar 2012
Hajime no Ippo feels right here. Terrifying!
Aug 24, 2014 5:08 PM

Oct 2013
If Ei-chan doesn't win, I guess we'll be back for several more seasons
Aug 24, 2014 5:25 PM

Apr 2014
Ide-kuuuuuuuuun ♥

Okay, he was only there as a match commentator but he is one of my favorite characters in the manga. It's exciting to see him in any capacity. And next to Downer-chan. ♥

I have actually forgotten most of this match so it is all very exciting. And very gratifying, too, as Araya-kun-tachi all, "MASAKA?!" ((((;゜Д゜)))

The short scenes with Takaya and Natsu are a treat-! There isn't enough on-screen Eijuun - Takuma interaction, to be frank, and this little bit is both torture and "utsukushii".
Aug 24, 2014 6:17 PM

May 2012
Man, just 4 more episodes to go.. I hope they will announce Season 2. And loving this episode and their monologues... I really love this anime because of the strategies! Go Eichan!
Aug 24, 2014 6:47 PM

Jul 2011
rodac said:
I'm wondering if the repeated focus on Ei-chan's conditioning and the transformational body work might not be a hint as to how he can beat Nabae. If they play the same style and are equally skilled, it might all come down to physical stamina in the end.

Or, or, realism = Nabae has to forfeit the match for whatever reason. And I think this might be the most realistic approach because I can't imagine Maruo losing the important first match, but he can't win against the #1 seed (two months of training won't improve him to that point).

I was wondering when we would get to see Nabae again; that was quick! And looks like we'll see less of Takuma too. I like Araya's shock, hahaha. I wonder if Maruo could beat him now. This match is exciting too! Both of them are analyzing each other, and Maruo's improvement is awesome! Look at him react to those balls. I especially liked the part where he tried to stretch for the ball that was out, he wouldn't have been doing that two months ago! :D

I really hope for a S2. Else I'm picking up the manga.
Aug 25, 2014 2:56 AM

Aug 2013
Before the match started I felt that this episode is dragging out,it was slow but when the match started,oh boy! I was hooked,how the analyzing each other,how both were playing with different objectives.I really like Nabae's character.

Now I wonder how this will end,Maruo can't lose this match becuase of the deal he made with his parents,but he is up against the #1 seed it will be unrealistic to beat him now and if the match drags on it favors Nabae.

The scene when Takuma rejects Maruo was hilarious.

I hope this and Haikyuu! will get a season two.
Aug 25, 2014 5:11 AM
May 2013
The_ClownPrince said:
Now I wonder how this will end,Maruo can't lose this match becuase of the deal he made with his parents,but he is up against the #1 seed it will be unrealistic to beat him now and if the match drags on it favors Nabae.

Actually, he is still don't need to win this tournament.
This tournament is the kanto indoor qualifiers (november), to all japan indoor (january).
And then, the last 3 tournaments
1) Kanagawa tournament (mar)
2) Kanto (July)
3) All japan (Aug).
Aug 25, 2014 6:03 AM

Aug 2013
Ei-chan just can't catch a break. First match and he got Nabae >__<
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Aug 25, 2014 12:29 PM

Mar 2012
Awesome episode.
Ahahah Nabae already? Hoping that Maruo "destroys" him.
Aug 25, 2014 5:20 PM

Nov 2010
The intensive training shown at the start must have meant the turning point of Eiichiro's tennis career
For him to face off his first seeded twin at the Kanto first round is very interesting

I assume Nabae will change his play style again to spread confusion next and take the first set back
Aug 25, 2014 9:54 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Such luck getting Nabae for first match, but he would have to face Nabae sooner or later. People also learn/improve faster when dealing with difficult opponents.

Love Araya's surprised expression at how much better Ei-chan is moving :))
Aug 25, 2014 10:13 PM
Aug 2011
If he wins then idk what i'll think.

Everyone's eyebrows were strong in this one.
Aug 25, 2014 11:46 PM

Jan 2010
Matthz said:

I scrolled passed the opening just so I could check if I got the wrong episode. lol
Aug 26, 2014 2:57 AM

Oct 2010
(-_- #) ... 25 episodes. Not enough episodes left for the good parts of the story.
Aug 26, 2014 9:18 PM

Jul 2012
Intense!! Come soon, Sunday.

parfaited said:
Everyone's eyebrows were strong in this one.

lol
Aug 27, 2014 10:13 PM

Feb 2008
1lau said:
The intensive training shown at the start must have meant the turning point of Eiichiro's tennis career
For him to face off his first seeded twin at the Kanto first round is very interesting

I assume Nabae will change his play style again to spread confusion next and take the first set back

There's only one set, so if he takes it, that means Maruo loses. Not sure why the announcer said it was a best of three match. Mistranslation maybe? Lazy reuse of inappropriate audio perhaps?
saxmaster4ever said:
Matthz said:

I scrolled passed the opening just so I could check if I got the wrong episode. lol

Same here.
najib90 said:
The_ClownPrince said:

This tournament is the kanto indoor qualifiers (november), to all japan indoor (january).
2) Kanto (July)
3) All japan (Aug).

Exactly, which is why his coach said he should feel lucky. Running into him now means that he'll have an opportunity to learn from losing to him or take him by surprise and knock him out of the tournament early. Its a gamble, but there's really no downside for Ei-chan at the moment.
Aug 28, 2014 2:22 PM
Feb 2014
jacobpaige said:
1lau said:

(end quote) (i'm new to this)

There's only one set, so if he takes it, that means Maruo loses. Not sure why the announcer said it was a best of three match. Mistranslation maybe? Lazy reuse of inappropriate audio perhaps?

It really is 3 sets. It's a bigger tournament.

Maruo beating the first seed would be WAY too early. Nabae analysed Maruo's gameplay and now has all the information he needs to to take him down (based on what he said when they changed sides)
Aug 29, 2014 2:42 AM

Aug 2013
jacobpaige said:
1lau said:

So it is a one set match not three?
najib90 said:
The_ClownPrince said:

2) Kanto (July)
3) All japan (Aug).

Exactly, which is why his coach said he should feel lucky. Running into him now means that he'll have an opportunity to learn from losing to him or take him by surprise and knock him out of the tournament early. Its a gamble, but there's really no downside for Ei-chan at the moment.[/quote]Ah ok,that's a good thing to know.
Aug 29, 2014 7:01 PM

Jun 2012
He aint beatin nabae.
Aug 31, 2014 7:21 AM

Feb 2008
The_ClownPrince said:
jacobpaige said:

So it is a one set match not three?

No, it was 3 set, I was just mistaken.
Aug 31, 2014 8:19 AM
Mar 2011
this epi was too short lol the time flew by
"....i am the villain in this story"
Aug 31, 2014 8:20 AM
Mar 2011
monokuma-k said:
(-_- #) ... 25 episodes. Not enough episodes left for the good parts of the story.

that means season 2 is a must!!
"....i am the villain in this story"
Feb 8, 2015 3:41 PM

Jun 2014
So tense, the paper and electronic notes rivalry. At least in class paper notes don't get confiscated, I am betting that Maruo wins.

Mar 8, 2015 7:49 AM

Oct 2014
This was a good episode imo. Felt tension between the two players that are trying analyze each other the same way, but Nabae seems to be confident either way.
Let's see how this unfolds!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 8, 2015 3:04 AM

Nov 2014
Brain vs. brain, that seems interesting.
I think Marau will lose this match, it is really rare to defeat the number 1 player when you are not even ranked! But then what about his dream to be pro? This is his only chance, he can't afford loosing!
Mar 2, 2016 5:40 AM

Aug 2013
Logically if both sides are pron to fundamentals..
Obviously Ei-chan don't stand a chance playing tennis in such a short time.
Let's see how it goes then.
Apr 13, 2016 12:00 PM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
Talk about deja vu during the first couple seconds, I thought I was watching ep 19 all over again lol

The match was boring to me, just lacking in intensity. After all we are talking about the two guys who are dedicated note takers.

Jan 23, 2018 10:17 AM

Jun 2016
I adore the Chameleon style that Nabae has. To be able to completely change your gameplan to counter your opponent is as impressive as it is fun to watch. But, one of the big problems is the beginning of the match before you've gotten your data. Because of that, I'm scared we may have seen the worst Nabae has to offer already and, as he said himself, that he may know exactly how to pick apart Maruo. This is one of the first matches where not only do the players have to ask what is my opponent doing, but how is my opponent analyzing me, and that's awesome!

Seeing all the fans Maruo's getting is fun too. The two seeded players surprised by him, the random audience getting excited for him, and most importantly Araya being outright shocked that he's improved this much is perfect.

Also, we can clearly see now the pro mentality that he lacked before in him now. I thought he had some variation of it in the past, but the way he deemed this match as something he cannot lose no matter what with the determination he had in his eyes really sold it for me.

This is a battle of Chameleons huh. I wonder which will hide better.
Jun 8, 2019 3:18 PM
Apr 2016
Well, Takuma sure was being reluctant, not blaming him though, after all he's going to go pro now. This match sure is interesting, both Ei-chan and his opponent is the analyzing-type. I feel like Ei-chan is going to win, but I'm not entirely sure honestly, anything can happen considering Ei-chan's opponent is the real deal.
Jul 31, 2019 10:37 PM

Jul 2016
Phenomenal episode! It was following the basic sports anime formula of "Wow, Ei-chan is up Love-15 in the first game of set 1!!" but his coach and everyone else understood it was just that.. just one point and now eventually set.

The analyzing back and forth is not boring and more importantly not pretensions. On to the next episode!
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 6, 2014

143 by JeremiahOrange »»
Oct 5, 2023 6:50 AM

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 21, 2014

93 by 1Konochi »»
Jun 14, 2023 5:49 PM

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 14, 2014

55 by 1Konochi »»
Jun 14, 2023 2:40 PM

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 7, 2014

54 by 1Konochi »»
Jun 5, 2023 12:04 PM

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 17, 2014

51 by 1Konochi »»
May 26, 2023 2:42 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.