Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Aug 24, 2014 7:07 PM

Aug 2013
RediceRyan said:
That was an amazing episode. Haven't seen many anime as surreal and strange as that.
Such beautiful animation and scenery.
I want to believe this will all come together in the next 4 to 5 episodes

That is my hope as well.
Aug 24, 2014 7:12 PM

Aug 2013
I think this was my favorite episode in the series. This season is starting to recover from its crappy start. But judging from the preview for next episode, I'm not sure if next episode will be as good as the last three.

I really hope that this episode is actually of importance and wasn't just there to add a more emotional episode. I also hope that Adelie comes back. If these two wishes of mine are met, this could be a really good second season. Sadly, I have a feeling neither will be met. I really hope AT LEAST one of them is!
Aug 24, 2014 8:20 PM
Jul 2014
The episode on mortality has to be unintelligible and visually stunning, it was a damn 24 minute journey. I'll say again, the creative direction of this show is why it should be praised.
Aug 24, 2014 8:31 PM

Dec 2013
wow, that was amazing

does anyone know an anime that's pretty much just like this episode (that isn't mushishi)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 24, 2014 9:22 PM

Aug 2014
This season's on a roll. This episode was beautiful, visually and aurally. I don't care much for the surreal, but I will except planet Limbo.
Sieg Zeon!
Aug 24, 2014 9:26 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
JizzyHitler said:
This is by far my favorite episode yet, it was simply beautifully and the imagery was so impressively dark but creative with a hint of magic to it. This was just a really captivating episode for me

So difficult to describe how I felt about this episode, but this would be the closest to it :)

This episode is definitely my favorite so far. The surreal art style and atmosphere as well as the music, and not to mention the philosophical dialogue here and there somehow makes me want to cry, and I really don't know why.

I really liked the scenery at the end and the ED for this episode. But lol at the band's name "Ogre You Asshole."
Aug 24, 2014 9:45 PM

Jun 2013
Kaioshin_Sama said:
pakoko said:
Like everyone is saying, what a pretty episode to look at. The song choices for this episode were also well composed and unique. I liked having the ending be a montage of Planet Limbo, and not the usual ending song "Too easy game, too easy game, too easy gamuh..." Kind of gave off a Mushishi feel in terms of the atmosphere, mixed together with Shaft-style animation. Loved every second of it.

How was that at all like Shafts style? I hope people don't think Shaft invented bizarre imagery in anime or something.

I probably only said that because Dandy reminded me of Araragi. I think I meant to say Shaft-style character design rather than animation. In terms of animation, this episode was nothing like a typical Shaft anime (no abstract backgrounds or head tilts).
Aug 24, 2014 9:49 PM

Jun 2012
Made no sense but it was quite enjoyable.
Aug 24, 2014 10:42 PM

Oct 2007
This episode really awed and impressed me with visuals, OST, and of course had to have cute planet girl to top the cake off.
Aug 24, 2014 11:05 PM

Aug 2013
I initially thought that Dandy was firebending near the beginning of this episode with how flames bursted out of his mouth as he yelled.
Aug 24, 2014 11:22 PM

Jan 2014
This episode and its souls reminded me of mushi. Limbo even said that it is a place between this and that world like in Mushishi.
Aug 24, 2014 11:46 PM

Oct 2013
Pretty cool episode.

Aug 25, 2014 12:16 AM

Sep 2009
Seriously, this season is kicking major ass so far with a string of amazing episodes.
Aug 25, 2014 12:19 AM

Jul 2014
This episode was beautiful.
Aug 25, 2014 1:03 AM

Aug 2008
So. Dandy choose to revive in the continuity of this episode, at the expense of that girl's "sacrifice".
While at the end, we're shown a different reality where he choose to stay with the girl on that planet instead.

This is the best episode so far in this season. Very interesting. And damn, the girl was cute.
Aug 25, 2014 1:14 AM

Jul 2011
Almost fell asleep, but was another great episode.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 25, 2014 1:42 AM

Oct 2008
Yessss more like this please dandy.
Aug 25, 2014 3:28 AM

Aug 2013
such an awesome ep defs in my top 3
Yo
Aug 25, 2014 5:02 AM

Jun 2010
What a strange and beautiful episode. This season has been fantastic.
Aug 25, 2014 5:42 AM
Apr 2011
Thats feel like a dream, but stillt awseome.
The End Ost was great.
Justus_Aug 25, 2014 5:51 AM
Aug 25, 2014 6:09 AM

Apr 2014
Great episode
Aug 25, 2014 8:40 AM

Jun 2014
That was one visually stunning and deep episode. The music was really nice as well.

Also I wonder if that was a Pan's Labyrinth reference I think I saw there?
Aug 25, 2014 9:11 AM

Sep 2013
I'm just speechless.. mindblown(in a goodway)
Aug 25, 2014 11:49 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
great, beautiful.... Amazing stuff. Just feel like serving myself a glass of scotch, putting my feet up and enjoying melancholy Dandy style.

I think Cheesekao's take on what happened this chapter is spot on. That girl/planetary conscience is enabling Dandy to go to another dimension every time he dies. I'm surprised there's a method to the madness.

It might just be me, but I'm pretty sure that the wonderful guitar track towards the end is played by Mono. Please do yourselves a favour and check them out. Wonderful space-rock band. Their instrumental tracks enable you to travel to space without leaving your living room.

Edit: have just found out the music in the second half of the episode is not by Mono, but by a band called 'Ogre, You Asshole' (no kidding, that's the name of the band).
FarabeufAug 27, 2014 2:37 AM
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Aug 25, 2014 3:44 PM
May 2014
That was pretty euphoric...
Aug 25, 2014 4:44 PM

Sep 2013
Dandymonogatari
Aug 25, 2014 6:51 PM

Sep 2013
That was a pretty deep episode, i loved the art style as well.
Aug 25, 2014 7:00 PM

Mar 2013
This episode left me a feeling of emptiness.
That visual design was totally stunning.
I'm impressed, best episode till now.
Aug 25, 2014 7:39 PM

Nov 2012
WolfWood37 said:
That was a beautiful episode to watch, and very mellow. Something you put on to fall asleep.

Agreed. It's by far the best episode of space dandy for me. I love when I can just sit back and really take in the visuals and soothing music. More anime/movies need to do this!!
Aug 25, 2014 7:39 PM

Jun 2013
this episode was amazing
Aug 25, 2014 8:06 PM

Mar 2012
when dandy was with the girl on the gondola, the music that started to play reminded me of pink floyd.
Aug 25, 2014 8:15 PM

Sep 2011
The music in this episode is beutifull, what i can get it from this episode is that ghost planet is a loli girl & dandy is dead.
Aug 25, 2014 11:02 PM

Feb 2008
Hands down my favorite episode of this entire series! Simply amazing!
Aug 26, 2014 6:28 AM

Dec 2010
This was my favorite episode in the whole series! It is simply perfect. And the visuals just keep getting better and better. And Ogre You Asshole playing the ending song was amazing too! loved it.
Aug 26, 2014 7:53 AM
Feb 2013
Cheesekao said:

My take on the episode is that the consciousness of the persona of Planet Limbo, Limbo-chan for short, transcends dimensions. Dandy has died plenty of times and it seems that each time he dies, Limbo-chan sends him to another dimension, which is why there is no continuity in the Dandy-verse. Limbo-chan must have met Dandy countless times already. I inferred this from when Limbo-chan saw multiple images of Dandy in the sky train and said "It can't be!" or something like that. During Dandy's and Limbo-chan's many encounters, Limbo-chan somehow fell in love with him at one point. The Dandy in the suit in the end is probably another dead Dandy and he saw a cute girl and decided to say hi or something. It's either that or he went back to the planet at one point in the future to visit Limbo-chan. Man, this episode was weird as fuck but strangely enjoyable.

Best inference so far; almost depressing, really. Each one of your points sound very likely, but even with the multiple Dandys, her line "It can't be!" signified doubt. As if she had not met him as of yet. Did she really think that she had met Dandy many times before thus confirming her feelings for him? All still too confusing given the Dandy multiverse. It probably would've cued us in more if she kept going---gah, 4deep6me. .-.; Otherwise, not a bad ep. In contrast to everyone else here, I actually felt angered toward the end, haha.

"Did he die? Is he dreaming? Was he sent back to a different universe or is he really dreaming it all? Are Meow and Q.T. really just douchebags for leaving him on the controls?---That shit's uncomfortable, yo."
Aug 26, 2014 6:15 PM

Jan 2014
Definitely weird episode, especially with the considerations on life.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Aug 26, 2014 6:32 PM
Jul 2018
He was...dreaming. I believe that all that we've seen were his (unconcious) wishes. He was near death, so...

Also, might
Aug 27, 2014 12:42 PM

Aug 2013
I can't express with words how amazing this episode was. In terms of visuals and the message it was trying to convey it was fucking flawless. Dream/reality Life/death. It felt like this episode transcended the medium of anime and became reality. For a short time it felt like I was dreaming and I didn't know whether I was actually watching this episode or whether I was just imagining it since I didn't know what was happening. If anyone reads this, I am 100% serious, not joking, this episode was just insane,
Aug 27, 2014 12:52 PM

Jun 2012
Cheesekao said:
My take on the episode is that the consciousness of the persona of Planet Limbo, Limbo-chan for short, transcends dimensions. Dandy has died plenty of times and it seems that each time he dies, Limbo-chan sends him to another dimension, which is why there is no continuity in the Dandy-verse. Limbo-chan must have met Dandy countless times already. I inferred this from when Limbo-chan saw multiple images of Dandy in the sky train and said "It can't be!" or something like that. During Dandy's and Limbo-chan's many encounters, Limbo-chan somehow fell in love with him at one point. The Dandy in the suit in the end is probably another dead Dandy and he saw a cute girl and decided to say hi or something. It's either that or he went back to the planet at one point in the future to visit Limbo-chan. Man, this episode was weird as fuck but strangely enjoyable.

Gotta say that's an awesome way to put it, and I sort of had a similar idea. It seemed sort of out of the blue that she declared her love for him, and I started to think that maybe it wasn't the first time she bought him back to life, which was just confirmed (in my opinion) by the way the planet/husk of a planet seemed really deformed near the end and, plus, when they met, her automatically recognizing him.

Honestly, I took Dandy dying multiple times as a gimmick for the show, "oh he died, he's back next episode, better than ever." This episode just confirmed my back-of-the-mind idea that maybe this show has an overlapping story or idea that it's trying to convey.

10/10 episode for sure, and probably my favorite so far. Really glad one Dandy finally scored!
Aug 27, 2014 1:03 PM

Jan 2014
hibiki6 said:
i think he chose to stay dead. but since that wasn't the last episode,the him that died was the one in the current universe and we will be continuing the show with a different universe dandy.

is this really what happened? because i was soooo confused lol

Cheesekao said:

or maybe it's this...? O.o
laputiaAug 27, 2014 1:06 PM
Aug 27, 2014 2:29 PM

Apr 2009
Yup, you can see all the Angel's Egg influence in this one. Amazing episode.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Aug 27, 2014 2:54 PM

Sep 2011
Nidhoeggr said:
If angel's egg is like this episode then i really need to bump that up on my PTW list pronto

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Aug 27, 2014 3:05 PM

Apr 2013
Nidhoeggr said:

Honestly it reminded me more of Waking Life, with the surreal idealism on what is life and dreaming, like this episode played on life and death, and all the literary nonsense it pushes out.

Although I do have Angel's Egg on my list to watch. so I cannot compare them yet. Still a superb episode that plays on different layers and brings a lot of cohesion to the entire series.

Also, in a way we did see the end of Dandy, since time is relative et all. We literally see Dandy at the end of his story get the girl of his dreams. Honestly this is my favorite episode of the series. I wish we can get more shows like this in the modern times of anime.
I am starting my own blog now; but you will probably not like it.

https://goodbadotaku.wordpress.com/
Aug 27, 2014 3:33 PM

Jul 2010
"Space Dandy is just about senseless comedy and lame jokes"
Now if you still think that after this episode you've clearly gone insane.

The scenary was simply beautiful, I don't know who personally directed this episode but I think this was one of the best episodes so far. The end kinda confirms the parallel worlds theory, I'm just glad they're pulling that theory in.

Also, really good job on the music here. It was outstanding.
What to say? This show is too good.
Aug 27, 2014 3:46 PM

Sep 2011
Snokle said:
Nidhoeggr said:

Honestly it reminded me more of Waking Life, with the surreal idealism on what is life and dreaming, like this episode played on life and death, and all the literary nonsense it pushes out.

Although I do have Angel's Egg on my list to watch. so I cannot compare them yet. Still a superb episode that plays on different layers and brings a lot of cohesion to the entire series.

Also, in a way we did see the end of Dandy, since time is relative et all. We literally see Dandy at the end of his story get the girl of his dreams. Honestly this is my favorite episode of the series. I wish we can get more shows like this in the modern times of anime.
I dont think its just modern times, it really never hit me until this episode but space dandy is a truly unique show, there hasnt quite been a series with this much creative freedom to the point where its a creative playground fore directors to try out their most absurd and unconventional ideas. It saddens me that its almost over but I truly appreciate that we got a show like this. Heres hoping to getting a movie or another season in the future.

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Aug 27, 2014 4:08 PM

Apr 2013
JizzyHitler said:
I dont think its just modern times, it really never hit me until this episode but space dandy is a truly unique show, there hasnt quite been a series with this much creative freedom to the point where its a creative playground fore directors to try out their most absurd and unconventional ideas. It saddens me that its almost over but I truly appreciate that we got a show like this. Heres hoping to getting a movie or another season in the future.

Yes Dandy is unique, and it will be hard to say if there will be another like it. I just wish we can get more anime like this, in that I mean original/unique. It does sadden me that we this show will be ending soon, with only a handful of episodes left, but knowing that will make it more enjoyable...savoring it to the last minute.

Also yea, I wish we can get another season/movie out of this..since imo it is worth it.
I am starting my own blog now; but you will probably not like it.

https://goodbadotaku.wordpress.com/
Aug 27, 2014 4:41 PM

Sep 2011
Snokle said:
JizzyHitler said:

Yes Dandy is unique, and it will be hard to say if there will be another like it. I just wish we can get more anime like this, in that I mean original/unique. It does sadden me that we this show will be ending soon, with only a handful of episodes left, but knowing that will make it more enjoyable...savoring it to the last minute.

Also yea, I wish we can get another season/movie out of this..since imo it is worth it.
it saddens me that this show will go so unappreciated though, people just see it as that random comedy show with ass jokes when in reality its a creative playground allowing different directors to create truly unique and crazy works not possible in other shows with settings and ideas you really wont find in another show. This genius episode is just the best example of something that could not work in anything else.

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Aug 27, 2014 9:34 PM

Sep 2013
JizzyHitler said:
it saddens me that this show will go so unappreciated though, people just see it as that random comedy show with ass jokes when in reality its a creative playground allowing different directors to create truly unique and crazy works not possible in other shows with settings and ideas you really wont find in another show. This genius episode is just the best example of something that could not work in anything else.

I agree completely(However I can understand why it isn't as appreciated as it should be). I think it also has to do with marketing that the show failed a tad. They basically marketed it at it's most simplistic form, "Referential and vulgar humor revolving around boobs and references." When they should have marketed it in a way that shows how bizarre it is.

I am not going to say it's perfect because there are some weak episodes that drag it down a tad but it is honestly the only anime I have ever seen where I have an incredibly hard time grasping how to rate it. It doesn't have a story at all, it's just episodic nonsense but.. It does so much with it that you can barely call it nonsense. It's characters don't really develop because it's episodic nonsense... but they go into such unique ideas and worlds and come up with fun single episode plot lines. It's like if they took Lupin III and fused it with Panty and Stocking or something, except with Panty and Stocking and Lupin III, they were just simply episodic comedies(And they did a damn good job at being such), but sometimes Space Dandy doesn't even have much humor in it's episodes so it doesn't really have a set "Genre" besides Sci-Fi.

The only way I can really describe Space Dandy is as they put it, "A Dandy Guy In Space" because throughout all the episodes, the only consistent thing is that Dandy... Is a Dandy Guy... In Space... Lol

It doesn't get appreciated because critics expect a good story, good humor, and good development. Space Dandy doesn't do any of that. Nor does it really have any appeal to casuals because it's a really bizarre show that has no consistency.

If I were to TRY and think of a summary of what Space Dandy is though... I guess it would be... A testing ground for ideas and animation... There aren't many anime out there like that... If any at all. The closest comparison I guess would be FLCL for it's blend of animation styles and bizarre form of storytelling.

It's definitely not a show for everyone but it's one of those shows where if someone said they hate it, I would totally understand and if someone said they love it, I would also totally understand.

Maybe I am over-thinking it. I mean the most basic way of describing it really is just Episodic Nonsense, but it certainly gives off a feeling that it's much more than that. Unfortunately it is hit or miss. This episode though is bloody fantastic.
KetenAug 27, 2014 9:51 PM
Aug 28, 2014 10:31 AM

Mar 2009
Well, this was certainly a fascinating episode of Space Dandy. The second season is so much stronger than the first.
Aug 28, 2014 1:03 PM

Jul 2012
Now the WHOLE show makes absolutely sense!
Holy shit!!

9/10
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Space☆Dandy 2nd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 20, 2014

80 by thegoishady »»
Mar 22, 8:53 AM

Poll: » Space☆Dandy 2nd Season Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 6, 2014

123 by Alshai »»
Feb 28, 5:54 PM

Poll: » Space☆Dandy 2nd Season Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 2, 2014

94 by KikiTheDestroyer »»
Jan 21, 6:32 PM

Poll: » Space☆Dandy 2nd Season Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 19, 2014

139 by TrevRockOne »»
Jan 16, 3:53 PM

Poll: » Space☆Dandy 2nd Season Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 24, 2014

191 by bubba460z »»
Dec 7, 2023 11:15 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.