Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Aug 28, 2014 1:13 PM

Sep 2011
Keten said:
JizzyHitler said:
it saddens me that this show will go so unappreciated though, people just see it as that random comedy show with ass jokes when in reality its a creative playground allowing different directors to create truly unique and crazy works not possible in other shows with settings and ideas you really wont find in another show. This genius episode is just the best example of something that could not work in anything else.

I agree completely(However I can understand why it isn't as appreciated as it should be). I think it also has to do with marketing that the show failed a tad. They basically marketed it at it's most simplistic form, "Referential and vulgar humor revolving around boobs and references." When they should have marketed it in a way that shows how bizarre it is.

I am not going to say it's perfect because there are some weak episodes that drag it down a tad but it is honestly the only anime I have ever seen where I have an incredibly hard time grasping how to rate it. It doesn't have a story at all, it's just episodic nonsense but.. It does so much with it that you can barely call it nonsense. It's characters don't really develop because it's episodic nonsense... but they go into such unique ideas and worlds and come up with fun single episode plot lines. It's like if they took Lupin III and fused it with Panty and Stocking or something, except with Panty and Stocking and Lupin III, they were just simply episodic comedies(And they did a damn good job at being such), but sometimes Space Dandy doesn't even have much humor in it's episodes so it doesn't really have a set "Genre" besides Sci-Fi.

The only way I can really describe Space Dandy is as they put it, "A Dandy Guy In Space" because throughout all the episodes, the only consistent thing is that Dandy... Is a Dandy Guy... In Space... Lol

It doesn't get appreciated because critics expect a good story, good humor, and good development. Space Dandy doesn't do any of that. Nor does it really have any appeal to casuals because it's a really bizarre show that has no consistency.

If I were to TRY and think of a summary of what Space Dandy is though... I guess it would be... A testing ground for ideas and animation... There aren't many anime out there like that... If any at all. The closest comparison I guess would be FLCL for it's blend of animation styles and bizarre form of storytelling.

It's definitely not a show for everyone but it's one of those shows where if someone said they hate it, I would totally understand and if someone said they love it, I would also totally understand.

Maybe I am over-thinking it. I mean the most basic way of describing it really is just Episodic Nonsense, but it certainly gives off a feeling that it's much more than that. Unfortunately it is hit or miss. This episode though is bloody fantastic.
I think you summed it up quite well actually.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Aug 28, 2014 2:09 PM

Mar 2012
Wow...got chills watching this episode. Definitely one of the deepest and most imaginative episodes of an anime I've ever seen. That was quite magical
---
Twitter: @JusticeSoulTuna
Wordpress: JusticeSoulTuna
Youtube: JusticeSoulTuna
I'm literally JST everywhere
Aug 28, 2014 8:17 PM

Mar 2014
MAN! This episode was just beautiful.

I had already been enjoying Season 2, but this has securely boosted it from an 8/10 to a 9/10 on my list, for sure.

Keten said:
It's like if they took Lupin III and fused it with Panty and Stocking or something, except with Panty and Stocking and Lupin III, they were just simply episodic comedies(And they did a damn good job at being such), but sometimes Space Dandy doesn't even have much humor in it's episodes so it doesn't really have a set "Genre" besides Sci-Fi.

I'd say it's like if they blended together Lupin III, Panty and Stocking, Cowboy Bebop, and Paprika... maybe with a little tiny hint of Metropolis.

Keten said:
It's characters don't really develop because it's episodic nonsense...

I don't know if I'd agree entirely... I mean, sure they don't develop in the traditional sense, but I feel like we learn more and more about them with each episode, and they end up being very memorable and having very well developed personalities, even if they don't have any real growth over the course of the series.
vigorousjammerAug 28, 2014 8:34 PM
::End of Transmission::

Aug 28, 2014 9:06 PM

Sep 2013
vigorousjammer said:

I don't know if I'd agree entirely... I mean, sure they don't develop in the traditional sense, but I feel like we learn more and more about them with each episode, and they end up being very memorable and having very well developed personalities, even if they don't have any real growth over the course of the series.

I never said they are bad characters. They are great characters. Just they don't develop because it's episodic nonsense. They get fleshed out though and that's just as important as development. Dandy is basically Spike+Lupin, except more of a buffoon. lol
KetenAug 28, 2014 9:50 PM
Aug 29, 2014 12:08 AM

Dec 2010
Pink Floyd-ass soundtrack here...Pretty good. This ep, along with a couple others in the series, would really be best enjoyed when you're on something, I'd assume...
I'm in a band! Check it here-
https://fanlink.to/tropicvibez
Aug 29, 2014 8:16 AM

Jan 2009
This was a great episode. I loved the visuals, the soundtrack and the atmosphere. What I didn't kind of like was that death-theme.
Aug 31, 2014 11:21 AM

Mar 2012
Everyone saying this was one of the best episodes and I'm here thinking that it was one of the worse ._. Why? It wasn't funny at all.
Sep 1, 2014 5:28 AM

Apr 2009
b1GZZ said:
Everyone saying this was one of the best episodes and I'm here thinking that it was one of the worse ._. Why? It wasn't funny at all.

Because you think GC, SAO and Shingeki are good.

Space Dandy is imho not a comedy, but rather an unusual SoL with comedy elements. And besides that: It was just one of the best stories the show managed to tell with its limited time of 20 minutes.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Sep 1, 2014 7:00 AM
Oct 2013
b1GZZ said:
If you're expecting a lot of laughs like, half of the episodes will not satisfy you at all. It's all up to your expectation and matter of taste. To me this episode is the best out of two cours no matter which aspect I look into.
Sep 4, 2014 6:15 AM
Mar 2012
love the surreal bg art, crazy animation, dandy's dandy hair, the ukulele + all ost's were quite pleasant. Limbo-chan reminds me of mekakucity, and Ferdinand feels like he came from deathnote. Nice to see one of the Dandy's finally dates a girl...planet, not sure if he was dead but the plot was well wrapped and connected to other episodes on Dandy's existential multiverse.
Sep 4, 2014 4:50 PM

Apr 2013
b1GZZ said:

Well if you try to think of this exact episode in humor, it lines more to a black humor itself. Still overall this is not a pure comedy show. It has splashes of it through the episodes, but it is an episodic adventure which plays in all the different genres, and does it wonderfully.

Nidhoeggr said:
And besides that: It was just one of the best stories the show managed to tell with its limited time of 20 minutes.

While I think there a couple other episodes that could be on par with this episode. I feel it was one of the best 20 mins, I have seen in anime in storytelling, and design in a long while.
I am starting my own blog now; but you will probably not like it.

https://goodbadotaku.wordpress.com/
Sep 6, 2014 7:39 AM

Jul 2007
Those weird things reminded me of Digimon and overall not so good ep.
Sep 7, 2014 3:31 AM
Jan 2010
b1GZZ said:

you don't seem like the brightest of the bunch.
Sep 7, 2014 7:34 PM
Mar 2012
Id like to think Dandy stayed there with her and where just picking up on another Dandy in a new dimension , I can dream
Apparently according to Danbooru the girls name is Poe.

Im gonna miss her..
Sep 8, 2014 8:47 AM

Jul 2013
Seeing the preview and all these comments, I was expecting a pretty good episode, and I saw an amazing one.

I like how Watanabe takes advantage of Space Dandy's sci-fi and surreal elements, in order to create an afterlife setting. He doesn't try to preach a certain way to live, but he gives you something to think about after the episode is over. Actually, I would co-relate the themes of this episode to the existential themes in Cowboy Bebop. Putting as(s)ide all the jokes about boobs and ass, sometimes it feels that these 2 shows are different sides of the same coin.

I wonder if Admiral Perry has some connection to this planet, since he looks like a skeleton. Maybe he escaped after losing his soul or something...?
Sep 11, 2014 3:45 AM

Jan 2011
great episode. i had some Ghibli vibes. ^^ very beautiful visuals and the music was also impressive (but some tracks to short, i hope on the OST2 they will be longer).
Sep 11, 2014 7:00 AM

Jul 2011
Such an uneven show, the Dandy is
I absolutely love it's more artistic and serious episodes like this one, and get bored with most of "pure comedy" ones (Like the next one will probably be)...
Sep 11, 2014 10:47 PM

Nov 2010
Holy shit. that was dreamlike. loved it.
Sep 15, 2014 11:44 AM

Jul 2012
it was a nice episode but i didn't feel the hype everyone was going on about. the music was brilliant though and i liked the style. it was just too short to enjoy.

edit - after reading through a few comments, i'm a bit blown away at the context. i'd better rewatch s1 and 2 when they finish airing.

Godtier_Taste said:
Akame ga KILL, Tokyo Ghoul, Tokyo ESP, Aldnoah.Zero, Sword Art Online II, your favorite anime,

all fucking SUCK!

lol you only listed the overhyped ones

Kaioshin_Sama said:
pakoko said:
Like everyone is saying, what a pretty episode to look at. The song choices for this episode were also well composed and unique. I liked having the ending be a montage of Planet Limbo, and not the usual ending song "Too easy game, too easy game, too easy gamuh..." Kind of gave off a Mushishi feel in terms of the atmosphere, mixed together with Shaft-style animation. Loved every second of it.

How was that at all like Shafts style? I hope people don't think Shaft invented bizarre imagery in anime or something.

It definitely had the abstract and moving hair thing down. I mean, I know it wasn't even relevant to SHAFT but the style reminded me of theirs.

AcidPunk said:
Dandymonogatari
MayukaSep 15, 2014 11:50 AM
Sep 15, 2014 11:30 PM

Jul 2013
That's so deep I can see Adele rolling
Sep 20, 2014 10:46 AM
▬▬ι═══════ﺤ

Feb 2012
I needed this episode in my life. It was beautiful. The music really stood out too. It was fantastic.
"Be the change you wish to see in the world." ⛩️

Sep 28, 2014 4:56 AM

Jan 2011
I am really torn between "this episode is amazing" and "WTF did I just watch?"
But no regent Dandy is a sexy Dandy :3
夜露死苦
http://mochichandiscoversjapan.wordpress.com/
Visit my Japan adventures' blog. =3
Oct 3, 2014 10:20 AM

May 2012
What an amazing episode, the whole atmosphere had this really interesting and mysterious feel around it and the overall development was just perfect! Really great episode I must say! Let's see what's next.
Oct 4, 2014 11:21 PM

Feb 2014
This to me was the best Space Dandy episode, enough to bump my score of this season from 8 to 9. The music was great, spacey and atmospheric (kind of reminded me of Pink Floyd), and the art, lighting and animation were just beautiful. I can use almost every frame of this episode as my desktop wallpaper. So according to this episode, every Dandy episode so far more or less exists in its own alternate universe.
VhailorOct 4, 2014 11:24 PM
Oct 9, 2014 10:58 PM

Jan 2011
i had almost dropped this showankfully the last 2 eps have been much better an this one in particular was just great, second best Dandy ep imo
great animation as well
Oct 10, 2014 4:50 PM

Jul 2014
the atmosphere & character designs were interesting. I can see this being a series on it own if the content was expanded.
Oct 11, 2014 11:11 AM

May 2009
One thing came to mind: Pink Floyd. This whole episode had the feeling of it.
Oct 18, 2014 3:11 PM
Jul 2018
Something about this episode makes me feel moved. My favorite episode in this show.
Oct 18, 2014 4:07 PM

Apr 2012
Poor Planet Limbo, so lonely, so cute. I also liked the ending (he stays dead and comes back, right? or at least one dimensional iteration of Dandy does).

Great episode, trippy visuals with trippy music, probably one of my favorite episodes of the season with episode 5.
Oct 23, 2014 7:36 PM

Jan 2014
This is certainly the best episode of Space Dandy so far. I was surprised that it was so deep. The show's been so light hearted overall. I loved Dandy's attitude through the episode. I'd totally watch a show just about Planet Limbo.

"You can't have happiness without sadness! They're like cousins or some junk."
Oct 29, 2014 12:47 AM

Mar 2009
wow just wow~ i admired Dandy for coming back~ cant leave a pretty girl alone ain't he?
Oct 29, 2014 6:21 PM

Dec 2013
Im the only one that finds it stupid that after all that Dandy has been trough, he died in such a simple way. And touching ending.
Jan 11, 2015 9:30 AM

Mar 2010
I would have made the same choice as dandy.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Jan 21, 2015 7:42 AM

Jun 2013
"I'm going to boobies, you can take this funeral and shove it."
Best line ever.
Mar 5, 2015 7:44 AM
Jul 2018
Hmm subtle heartwarming episode. Really love its direction
Mar 12, 2015 12:38 PM

Sep 2014
Another weird episode.
It was dark and less comical, but also deep and melancholic.

The artwork was beautiful.
Apr 4, 2015 3:28 AM
Aug 2013
The surrealist style and and soundtrack picks turned this episode into something unforgettable.

Carrol but more dandish and creppy.
Apr 18, 2015 10:19 AM
Mar 2010
Easily the best episode of the entire series. From the atmosphere, music, imagery, designs and animation was top notch almost dreamlike . Made me raise the score from 4 to 5. If only the rest of the series was not such a snore fest. Sigh.
May 4, 2015 1:28 PM

Jan 2012
Shinigami world is sure creepy baby.

May 5, 2015 12:53 AM

Mar 2012
Looks pretty cool with his hair down. Think there was one episode in S1 where his hair was normal as well.
May 24, 2015 4:51 PM

Jul 2014
loneliness. emptiness. melancholy.
this is what I felt throughout the entire episode.
damn, I can;t really explain it, but this episode really made me feel and think. The soundtrack, the art. The imagination of this episode was amazing. Every second had me in awe, seriously. Perhaps it was the whole topic of death - living to die, constantly thinking about death and then dying without ever truly living- that made this episode so memorable...

I remember watching the scene where that alien princess plays "Pavane for a Dead Princess" on guitar on Youtube along time ago, and that's actually what got me to watch Space Dandy.
Such a strange, sad feeling I got at the end. Dandy being dead, his hair down, and no comedy. It was such a strange feeling, but not bad by any means. Amazing episode, Space Dandy truly explores the entire spectrum of emotion.

"A World Without Sadness, Baby" ....
ChaoyigonMay 24, 2015 5:01 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 3, 2015 11:55 AM
Dec 2013
Best ep definitely. It reminded me a bit of Courage the Cowardly Dog, and Alice in Wonderland. This episode was memerizing and felt so surreal. o.o
Jun 28, 2015 1:05 AM
Jun 2015
it is already toooooo late for me to reply very late because im late 1 year. But still, this episode, really touches me. i cried cuz of this episode. The first time i saw this i felt nothing and in my mind it's like " What the heck is this episode. Im dissapointed ". then 1 year later after i watched some meaningfull animes i understand the episode its really sad. I cried 3 times because its so sad. Just sayin, this episode is great.
Sep 27, 2015 11:12 PM

Jan 2015
NotJizzyHitler said:
This is by far my favorite episode yet, it was simply beautifully and the imagery was so impressively dark but creative with a hint of magic to it. This was just a really captivating episode for me

Also was it me, or did the ending kind of confirm the different universe dandies theory

Exactly this.
Sep 30, 2015 1:02 AM

Apr 2015
Just finished watching this... absolutely speechless. Probably one of the most creative and beautiful episodes of any anime I've seen thus far. My hat goes off to the creators, just wonderful.
Nov 14, 2015 1:27 AM
Apr 2015
I think this episode is about dandy in a coma situation...he lives in a world where other souls(dead) are together except that girl(she was the same as dandy)
sorry for my english >,<
Nov 14, 2015 5:27 AM
Nov 2015
A) Limbo is a living planet and the old (now dead) inhabitants are ghosts and some how all of this became a magnet for lost souls in the space

1) If we follow the words of Limbo she will send Dandy back but to another dimension where he can maybe still alive
2) so Dandy in this dimension is actually dead or something like that
3) she say he's the "one" and that it's a question with no answer even if already several time was pointed that Dandy was something special
4) in the last sequence when Limbo meet again with Dandy you'll notice that she is wearing the shell necklace, the same Dandy had for all journey, can't say for sure the meaning of it but maybe it could be a sign for the "new dead" (as you can notice no one else was wearing it)
6) and the Dandy that came from the cableway in white suit? well..
a) it's a Dandy for sure
b) Dandy came back?
c) Dandy from another dimension?
d) or.. it's Limbo's "dream" after she died?
z) or maybe all?!?!

Anyhow in this anime dead is something so common and frequent that trying to get a linear explanation is right now impossible (at least till ep 8 season 2) as Dandy say "screw it" and let's go on, couse death or life it's not the point it's what you are in life or dead that really matter!
onetNov 14, 2015 7:00 AM
Dec 6, 2015 5:22 PM

Feb 2010
After all the ordeals Dandy has been through, he trips and then dies. Very Dandy-like

Mar 12, 2016 2:46 AM

Jun 2014
OMG this episode was amazing, definitely one of my favorites. The OST, the atmosphere, the topic, the visuals. Amazing. Space Dandy just keeps on blowing my mind over and over again.

Probably the best episode of the series.
alpha_shadowMar 12, 2016 2:49 AM
:3
May 16, 2016 10:18 AM

Nov 2011
oh my fucking god how the hell does this series keep so damn fresh with every ep???

well no shit that's what happens when you have different figureheads for each ep and just like that i answered my rhetorical question but NIGGA DAMN

THIS IS CANONICAL

seriously, watanabe should stop trying to do serious things all the way like zankyou cos that was bullshit

he should make more space dandy cos DIS, IS DA SHIT
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Space☆Dandy 2nd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 20, 2014

80 by thegoishady »»
Mar 22, 8:53 AM

Poll: » Space☆Dandy 2nd Season Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 6, 2014

123 by Alshai »»
Feb 28, 5:54 PM

Poll: » Space☆Dandy 2nd Season Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 2, 2014

94 by KikiTheDestroyer »»
Jan 21, 6:32 PM

Poll: » Space☆Dandy 2nd Season Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 19, 2014

139 by TrevRockOne »»
Jan 16, 3:53 PM

Poll: » Space☆Dandy 2nd Season Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 24, 2014

191 by bubba460z »»
Dec 7, 2023 11:15 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.