Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Barakamon
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Aug 16, 2014 12:02 PM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Lol this episode was silly. At first, I thought it was just about fishing but it turned into a whole load of comedy. Great episode as usual of course.

It also delivers with the charm even with a sport like fishing. Naru sure had her fun as well D:
I think Handa learned more than meets the eye too. Now I want to eat some fish for dinner..
Stark700Aug 16, 2014 12:09 PM
Aug 16, 2014 1:57 PM

May 2013
I laughed when Naru stumbled and all of what she was holding on Hiroshi's shirt.
Aug 16, 2014 2:03 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
Naru was actually very please about his "Sea Bream"...
I'm convinced she is the teacher here.

The village chief left his son and Miwa there. Mean, he could at least have said he'd come back for them...

Shaniyaz said:
Way to ruin Hiroshi's serious scene, Naru. XD . Wait, he's only a Junior in high school? O.o . I though he was at least at college by now.
I'm fairly sure he said third year high school - that means last year.
CratexAug 16, 2014 5:59 PM
Aug 16, 2014 2:17 PM

Jan 2013
For once, I liked Handa's caligrafy. that was indeed impressive.
As always a funny and heartwarming episode.
Those glasses thou.
Aug 16, 2014 2:50 PM
Jan 2014
Not as good as the outgoing episode, but still entertaining.

Fishing time, not the best way to spend your last day on Goto, but it can be if Naru's around. Hiroshi decides not to spend his time playing with the little boys, but to try and catch Hisanio instead.

Miwa looks very manly with that shirt on, I gotta say. In the meantime, Naru is playing around with wharf roaches and harasses Hina. That alone triggers an event of miserable things.

Kawafuji looked pretty funny without his glasses on.
I can't stop thinking about Archer from F/SN when I hear him speak though. Junichi Suwabe's awesome manly voice is embedded as Archer's voice in my head permanently.

Then moment when Naru pushed Handa,Kawafuji and Kousuke in the water was hilarious. Lesson learned, never underestimate Naru's tackle ability.

Didn't have much success while fishing with Naru's obligatory fishing hook, too bad.

Naru picked a really nice souvenir for Kawafuji. Seems that everyone had fun laughing while someone was caught at the metal detector gate.

I don't really think Kousuke will have the guts to visit Goto alone though.

Funny how Miwa and Hiroshi got left out, good thing that they are not that far away from their homes.
Aug 16, 2014 3:13 PM

Jul 2014
naru's tackle, chain reaction, and glasses-mask, that what makes this episode fun hahaha
a dual-sword wielder, fire element in right arm and ice element in left arm
Aug 16, 2014 3:18 PM

Feb 2014
They go fishing and looks like the city guys don't know anything about it, but that's normal.
Then they go to the airport to see those 2 guys off. I'll miss them, but I have a feeling they will come back.
Aug 16, 2014 3:27 PM

Aug 2010
Gonna miss those 2, these eps with them were fun ^^

"Give me back my vacation" Oh Archer Kawafuji XD

Kousuke thinking he's a genius in fishing until he failed epically and went OTL was lol XD

Naru's revenge was so lol pushing all 3 off into the water and threatening Kousuke with her aura when he laughed at her hook later XD

Dat huge FAIL with Naru's hook was lol How all of them laughed out was so fun ^^

Asking Kawafuki if he wanted to take one with him about Naru and Hina XD I want one >.<

Naru's "It's my dyin request" to give the glasses to Kawafuji and Handa praising her was hilarious XD
Aug 16, 2014 3:43 PM

Nov 2007
lol @ KajiKaji's character's expression when fishing. Oh, so KajiKaji's character got stuck in writing, too. Wow @ that breaking.

That writing written by the fishes... Both of them are leaving, and both got "sensored".

lol @ the glasses!!
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Aug 16, 2014 4:18 PM

Jun 2013
Another fantiastic episode. Everyone at one point was at the short end of the joke and I died when everyone laughed off the Snapper who got away. Sensei acting all grown up again and seeing Naru doing their quirky things (like buying those glasses) and Hina's cuteness by doing absolutely nothing makes me want to see the next episode stat!

Aug 16, 2014 4:32 PM
Mar 2013
Gahh this show is amazing. I can never stop smiling! I really love the part where they made fun of Naru. xD

And when they made fun of Kawafugi going through the metal detector! "It's his glasses!" xD
Aug 16, 2014 4:33 PM

Apr 2014
A less fast-paced episode than the others, though watching Barakamon is certainly one of the highlights of my week!

As I'm sure many have noticed, the experiences and attitudes of Kawafuji and Kosuke match the initial ones of Handa when he first came to the island. Even though it's the same country, and only three hours from the bustling, urban metropolis of Tokyo, it's very different on the island. The lifestyles and outlooks of the people are distinct between the two places, with the city-dwellers having more of an aversion to the laid-back attitude and the willingness to try new things that are embraced by the people on the island. Coming to the island changed Handa's attitude. Even though because of his city upbringing, he can't really fit in with everyone else there, his view of the world has changed and he's much more open-minded. There's a time for work and a time for play, and Handa has begun to realize that it's alright to take a break for leisure.

I thought it interesting that Kawafuji said Kosuke can't see any opinion besides his own. Perhaps that ties into the whole thing about city people being less open-minded. It would seem like city people would more open-minded, seeing as they live somewhere with lots of new things to try, but sometimes, simple experiences can be so foreign as to be frightening for them. I personally live in the suburbs, and some ideas of natural things that people in more rural areas would do, like fishing, just walking up to neighbour's houses, or planting a big garden to grow vegetables are bucolic images that really wouldn't be possible in the suburban areas and thus seem really far away to me.

Another interesting line was that when you reach the top, there isn't anywhere left to go. That might be why Handa stopped trying to further his skills and style in calligraphy and Kosuke has a high-and-mighty attitude and a pompous view of himself. Since they had already reached the top, they thought themselves to be the very best and saw no sense in trying anymore. But when Handa fell from that position, it led him to realize that there's still places to go and things to do, and that's why he needed to change his style. Even at the top, you can still change who you are.

As for the very end, I thought it was particularly poignant when Handa said that he "can look forward to seeing them again", instead of saying that he would miss his friends. This, for me, indicates his change in attitude in a way that really stands out. There's no need to adopt a pessimistic view of the present; an optimistic view of the future is the best thought. As the opening theme states, a life ever changing is the way to go.

[ a ] [ i ] wo atsumete
たくさん の あい お あつめたら
tumblr
ことば で きみ に とどけよう
deviantart
みえない きもち お かたち に したら
last.fm
こころ の なか まで とどく から

Aug 16, 2014 4:43 PM

Sep 2012
swaggahsaurus said:

As for the very end, I thought it was particularly poignant when Handa said that he "can look forward to seeing them again", instead of saying that he would miss his friends. This, for me, indicates his change in attitude in a way that really stands out. There's no need to adopt a pessimistic view of the present; an optimistic view of the future is the best thought. As the opening theme states, a life ever changing is the way to go.

Well said.

Good episode!
Aug 16, 2014 5:23 PM

Apr 2013
Naru’s tackle and the chase scene with the roach were hilarious. The airport part was nice too. Handa has changed a lot by living on the island.
Aug 16, 2014 5:30 PM

Sep 2013
Such a cute episode! Naru is one hell of a clumsy kid but I really like how she is always the one bringing out Sensei's good points. What I mean is, she always finds ways to make the episode beautiful. Remember when she opened the room where Seishuu keeps his works and Hiroshi cried when he saw all this? If I remember well, she also showed the inside of the room to Miwa. And this time again, she was the one revealing Seishuu's recent work, and I think without her, he would have kept it hidden from others. The calligraphy was beautiful, by the way.

PS: Am I the only one missing Tama? They'll probably find some fujoshi reason for her absence haha.
Aug 16, 2014 5:48 PM

Dec 2012
Ebisu!

That was quick. Handa being positive about things. Coming to that island really is worth it.

Kousuke learning something after meeting Handa. It would help him widen his perception on some stuff.

No Tama this episode. I miss her usual antics.
Aug 16, 2014 7:03 PM

Nov 2012
At first I thought this was pretty meh but the last few episodes have progressively got better/become more enjoyable.

Lol'd @ them catching the fish and the hooks ended up falling apart.

"Hey,I was having a serious scene!" lmao.
Aug 16, 2014 7:24 PM

Aug 2009
There's been 7 episodes already and I'm still all "HNNNG NARU IS SO CUTE".

I really like how Sensei (whatever his name is) admitted how he started to want to write calligraphy. I remember the time in my life that wnenever I was drawing I got annoyed fast and nothing inspired me and I treated it more or less like an upleasant necessity.
It's really great that he now WANTS to :D
Aug 16, 2014 7:37 PM
Jul 2014
Fishing is probably one of the more meditative sports/activities out there and Barakamon kind of captured that in this episode. Naru's line and hooks were an amazing metaphor for how unconventional paths can sometimes lead to greater things than just the physical outcome (the fish). Instead, we can laugh about it and enjoy the ride. It's nice to see Handa mature and really grow into an artist that is comfortable with himself.

(I talk more about this in my YT video http://youtu.be/SzXl-BYxSII?list=UU6HUAjzE2TZwJf3W2eWE9qQ No need to click if not interested).

I need to know more about Handa's father and I hope we get to meet him soon!
Aug 16, 2014 7:41 PM

Oct 2013
Yeah agreed Handa's calligraphy was pretty dang good. Definitely has a unique style
Aug 16, 2014 7:42 PM

Jun 2012
Thats a nice way of looking at a parting. Youre not sad to see them go but youre excited for their next visit. Ill have to remember that.
Aug 16, 2014 7:48 PM

Nov 2011
I really liked Kawafuji. The interaction between the city and the country group was fun.
Aug 16, 2014 8:04 PM

Sep 2013
Talk about Naru's death grip when she was begging Sensei :o

Naru always ruining the serious moments aha. Had some laughs, and another relaxing episode.
eunoia33Aug 16, 2014 8:46 PM

Aug 16, 2014 8:27 PM

Jun 2014
When the Hiro's dad asked Kawafuji if he wanted to take one of the kids home, I thought how I would love to have a kid like Naru! She is the best character of this anime. Only 5 more episodes left of the season and I know I'm gonna miss this cast come the fall!

The laughs every episode is what makes this one of the best animes this season!
So glad that I'm not a huge manga reader, because the manga readers WHINE WAY TOO MUCH and have to RUIN every adapted anime for the ANIME ONLY WATCHERS!
Aug 16, 2014 8:29 PM

Jun 2013
The ending song is really growing on me, although the English is terrible.

Loving Barakamon more and more as the series goes on. Although it's mainly focused on the development of just Handa, it's nice to see him maturing bit by bit.

Slow and calming episode.
Aug 16, 2014 8:39 PM

Dec 2011
I knew it, Naru's hooks would catch something, but it failed in the end. Hahaha.

Passing the metal detector scenes was really funny too, while in real life it is not.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 16, 2014 8:45 PM
Mar 2014
Well, no Tama this time, which feels a bit lonely, but Hina and Naru were so cute!
Aug 16, 2014 8:45 PM

Jun 2013
That hideous fish tho.

This show is just so infectiously positive.
Aug 16, 2014 8:46 PM

Aug 2014
Another cute episode!

Naru spilling the drink on Hiro's shirt XD
Aug 16, 2014 9:22 PM
Jul 2014
Ah its so warmhearted and positive. I love it! Going to miss those two, but it seems like they will come back. Handa's calligraphy this time is amazing. With all the little fish.

Kawafuji's mask matches him lol
Aug 16, 2014 9:54 PM

Mar 2012
The warm fuzzy feeling inside me after I watch this show is incredible. Since episode 1 until now, I still get that feeling after completing an episode. ^^

Man, fishing has never looked more fun after this. Also, Naru and Hina make an awesome duo of comedy and mayhem. xD

And that metal detector was hilarious! Kawafuji with Naru's gift was awesome too.
Aug 16, 2014 11:53 PM
Mar 2013
The village mayor: It feels a bit lonely after your friends went home.
Handa: No. I'm now looking forward to seeing them again.

I love this part.
Aug 17, 2014 12:26 AM

Jun 2008
Ohhh~ Love this series so much :3 Makes feel so calm and heartwarming, it just reminds me so much of my childhood ;_; Ahaha I loled so hard at Naru's angry expression when Kousuke laughed at her hooks XD
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 17, 2014 12:56 AM

Jul 2012
Well that was a nice ending to Senei's friends trip to come see him.

Great episode!!!
Aug 17, 2014 1:39 AM
Jul 2018
This was pretty funny episode. "Reelin' in the Earth,huh? Yer real good" was hilarious.
Another great episode.
Aug 17, 2014 1:59 AM

Jul 2013
"Wanna take one with you?" lol... if it was me I'd take both Hina and Naru #nopedo

No fujoshi girl this week but still great as usual. That snapper calligraphy was awesome.

Kawafuji with the glasses at the end reminds me of Persona 4 XD
Aug 17, 2014 2:39 AM

Oct 2012
The Airport scene was funny too but something was a bit weird... That "Wanna take one with you?" changed my face to what the hell?? Good episode though.
I'm learning English so maybe I make mistakes :)
Aug 17, 2014 4:06 AM

Apr 2013
so damn enjoyable

"naru obtained a slightly longish stick"

again an episode that just flew by so fast because it was so good

from the very first scene to the last there is not a thing that is not good. one episode after another

the timing of the jokes is just so perfect
Aug 17, 2014 4:57 AM

Nov 2009
Agree with the xSanox's post.
This anime is truly very hilarious and i love it! It's light and the comedy parts are just right on the time. Everyone is great and i look forward to the next episodeds. The chain reaction with the baits, Handa's fiches and the glasses was the funniest thing i've seen recently. I almost laughed to tears xD.

8/10 for the anime overall.
Aug 17, 2014 5:02 AM

May 2013
Awww, I'm gonna miss Kawafuji and Kosuke

But the credits at the end. lmao.
The world shall know the truth soon.
Aug 17, 2014 6:55 AM

Oct 2012
Ebisu = Kofuku xD
Lol, look at those children
"Wanna take one with you?"

Metal detector.. So much fun for countryside people xD
Lol Miwa-nee & Hiro-nii, reality is just bitter.. right?
Look at the positive side, they are just two of you.. no other people xD

Lol @ the last joke
... Oh I want dat glasses too xD
"Signature removed"
Aug 17, 2014 7:17 AM

May 2013
Naru pushing Kousuke along with Handa and Kawafuji made me give a big laugh. Too bad they didn't catch the Hisanio. They just laughed it off. That was good.
Kawafuji and Kousuke left. They'll certainly come visit Handa again.
Aug 17, 2014 12:53 PM
Mar 2012
swaggahsaurus said:
only three hours from the bustling, urban metropolis of Tokyo
Three hours if you take the plane. It takes me about 2 hours by plane to London and I'm crossing one or two countries on the way.

Anyway, beautiful episode. *sigh* This is such a feel-good anime.

And now I kind of want to have a vacation on a remote island.
I wonder if there's really an island like that and whether they'll have more tourists now?
Aug 17, 2014 2:01 PM

May 2013
AWESOME EPISODE.

Really funny at times xD
Aug 17, 2014 5:05 PM

Jun 2009
May I ask where you guys have been watching the episodes? It's getting harder and harder to find them, including older episodes. It's been taken down on almost all the major sites :(
Thanks to mikan-icon for the awesome one piece icon :)
Aug 17, 2014 6:19 PM

Jul 2010
Slow and calm, every episode is always so enjoyable. I really like how Handa is developing through the episodes. Also, Kawafugi is quite the good character.

I wonder if we'll ever see Handa's father in action? I would like to see him confronting with Handa, but since Kawafuji mentioned him it probably will happen I guess.

@The end with Kawafuji was pure gold.
Aug 17, 2014 8:28 PM

Mar 2014
You can really notice how much Sensei has changed since the beginning of the anime.
MAL: A community that thinks every anime is bad, but rates everything a 7/10.
Aug 17, 2014 11:34 PM

Apr 2014
I like how Handa wrote the word "sea bream". It is so creative using fish stamps to write it.

Is is just me or does it looks like Hiroshi's hair dye is rubbing off? Now I know his true hair color!

The troll sensors are hilarious! XD

Lol at Naru for ruining Hiroshi's character development scene!
Aug 18, 2014 4:06 PM

Oct 2011
I hope they do come visit again.

Hiro nii don't go T____T
Aug 18, 2014 5:20 PM

Dec 2012
Great episode~!
Naru was hilarious lol with the tackle, when she obtains the stick, and spilling juice on Hiroshi
I hope they do come back they were fun!
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Barakamon Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Aug 23, 2014

154 by Karva1 »»
Jun 3, 3:24 PM

Poll: » Barakamon Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 27, 2014

336 by snowykevin »»
May 24, 7:36 PM

Poll: » Barakamon Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 13, 2014

158 by Euonymus »»
Mar 20, 4:06 AM

Poll: » Barakamon Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 5, 2014

399 by Devonnius »»
Feb 20, 10:31 PM

Poll: » Barakamon Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 20, 2014

175 by Softhenic03 »»
Jan 24, 11:29 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.