Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 10, 2014 2:06 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This almost felt like how Eiirchou first went up against Takuma earlier on in the show. Ike is seriously a powerhouse. The episode felt a bit repetitive but if Eiirchou keeps training like that, maybe he can impress the world with a match against him in the future. Maybe.

The second seed seems to be underestimated a bit but I don't think he's a pushover at all.
Stark700Aug 10, 2014 3:24 AM
Aug 10, 2014 3:23 AM

May 2012
Pro training: START! It's just as intense as I remember when I read the manga.

Never pegged Nabae as someone who'd have slightly blue-tinted hair... I'm not sure how well I like that. Jet black seems so much more serious.
Aug 10, 2014 3:33 AM

Jun 2014
God i know that feel... Had to train intensly before some tournaments just in the same way.

Its hell when you're running and your body is dead at the end x)

Feel bad for Takuma and Natsu :/ They both saw Ike rise so fast, while they train every day so hard, and the same is happening for Maruo little by little !
Aug 10, 2014 3:49 AM
Jan 2014
This is how you handle exposition, great episode.

Souji is a serious player. Eiichirou was no match for him, but he gained a lot of insight on professional players.

Looks like those 2 months are going to be hell for Eiichirou. The intense training he has to indure is going to give him second thoughts on becoming a pro. Coach Miura is correct, Eiichirou has no time to spare if he wants to become a pro. If they pace the training session, it's only going to hinder his performance in the long run.

Takuma still continues to observe Eiichrou as he improves, maybe he already spotted him as a potential rival in the future.

That nightmare though. I couldn't imagine what sleeping over an exam would feel like. To someone as prestigious as Eiichirou anyway.

Is that Takahiro Sakurai I hear as Yu Nabae?
The encounter between Nabae and Eiichrou was interesting, seeing as they're both note takers. I like how Nabae gave his interpretation on tennis, proves how much collecting data can help out. His style is also something to look out for.

Oobayashi and Miyagawa's elimination from the first games of All-Japan Junior definitely proves how much Eiichirou has to train, in order to win it and become a pro.
Aug 10, 2014 4:03 AM

Mar 2008
Love this anime & manga. I started reading the manga(first manga I have ever read) where the last episode left off & am up to chapter 135. It feels weird to know what's gonna happen but I'm also glad to know they are adapting it very well. They did cut some scenes but they weren't major. But man oh man Maruo's training is tough. I really like how they are developing his character. I hope they make more than 25 episodes.
Aug 10, 2014 4:12 AM

Aug 2009
I'm really liking the fact that Ei-chans training is so realistic. That he has to work hard and be determined to get to where he wants to be. I like his analytical skills, as well as his drive to become better. This anime does well in making you feel that you could accomplish anything you set your mind too. You just have to keep trying and never give up. I almost want to read the manga. It's going to be such a great journey ahead witnessing Ei-chans improvements. I'm quite sad this anime only has so many episodes.

Aug 10, 2014 5:23 AM

Dec 2011
I predict that Ei-chan will lose big time against Ike.

At least he managed to get one ball past Ike.

Now that's some hard training Ei-chan has to keep repeating...

LOL, what a dream xD.

Ah, so that notes keeping laptop guy is the 2nd seed :o

So Nabae wants to become an All-A player huh.
"Let justice be done, though the heavens fall."
Aug 10, 2014 5:30 AM

Aug 2010
Great ep :3 Really nice seeing Maruo's pro training start. Man it's tough but it will definitely make him stronger ^^

I actually read the whole manga last week and feels weird to see this again now XD Good adaption though. They skipped a few stuff but not really that important so it's all good :D Nice seeing Kanda and Nabae though ^^

Can't wait for nxt ep to see the results of his training :D I really wonder if they're gonna be going to Florida? S2 PLZ >.< This just isn't enough to reach the epic parts!!
Aug 10, 2014 5:31 AM

Mar 2008
Nice to see Ei-chan's fellow, will be interesting to see how their ideals might differ.
Aug 10, 2014 5:43 AM

Jun 2012
Shit, so thats the training I should be expecting if I start playing now. Itd probably be much worse since im about 4 years older than ei-chan.

And was that Sakurai? :D
Aug 10, 2014 5:54 AM

Jun 2011
Look at Ei-chan's beautiful face

Why, Studio Pierrot, why?

It was a nice episode nevertheless. 4/5. Next episode sounds interesting ^o^
It's already episode 19, huh. I really hope to see a season 2.
xpaulaAug 10, 2014 6:08 AM
Aug 10, 2014 6:23 AM

Dec 2011
Another good episode.....i don't remember the game Ei-chan play in the preview
Aug 10, 2014 6:55 AM

Feb 2012
xpaula said:
Look at Ei-chan's beautiful face

Why, Studio Pierrot, why?.

Oh god, noticed the same thing. How can this be even possible..
Aug 10, 2014 7:39 AM

Jun 2013
Eiirchou is going to have to do a lot of training to be able to do good at that All Junior Circuit.
Aug 10, 2014 7:45 AM

Nov 2010
Eiichiro getting muscle aches with a pro regiment training is quite surprising to me
It's not like he hasn't been moving before
Coach Miura is fortunately strict with his schedule

The conversation between Nabae was very interesting besides the notebook versus laptop part
Aug 10, 2014 9:28 AM

Nov 2013
Animation quality was kicking my ass this episode. This series deserves better...

[quote=xpaula]Look at Ei-chan's beautiful face

the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Aug 10, 2014 12:44 PM
Jul 2018
Eiichiro got owned by Souji so badly.

Eiichiro's new training with Coach Miura was so intense and he got only few second short breaks.
Aug 10, 2014 3:06 PM

Jul 2012
Good episode as always. I like how this anime is completely realistic with Ei-chan's tennis and how he's actually getting tired from training rather than getting shounen power-ups.

-Resident- said:
Is that Takahiro Sakurai I hear as Yu Nabae?

I think so too! :)

Vexper said:
Animation quality was kicking my ass this episode. This series deserves better...

^
Aug 10, 2014 3:06 PM
May 2013
It felt like productuon went down. It was animated horibly. Maybe they had to rush this episode, but cmon to do that so bad. At one point it felt like the figure that should have represented Maruo was completely different character. I wont get started on eyes.
Aug 10, 2014 3:12 PM

Jul 2012
zakuza said:
It felt like productuon went down. It was animated horibly. Maybe they had to rush this episode, but cmon to do that so bad. At one point it felt like the figure that should have represented Maruo was completely different character. I wont get started on eyes.

Yeah I know. :/ A lot of blemishes. I don't notice these things that much either but the eyes... I'm just glad I have to rely on subs and don't have to look at it too much.
Aug 10, 2014 5:42 PM

Apr 2014
Yeah, that was some derp we got there. I'm glad, at least, that we get good animation where it counts -- the tennis, close-up stills, and Ike Souji. XD

Love how they animated Nabae's tennis -- bit of a shock to see him as a blue-haired kid, but I think it's a smart choice to seperate his image from Ei-chan since they are similar in their tennis philosophy.

I guess part of next episode will be anime original?
Aug 10, 2014 6:54 PM
May 2014
Getting chills from this show, it's just so awesome!
Aug 10, 2014 8:37 PM

Jul 2011
Eh, well they had to allocate budget from somewhere for the little bits of well animated tennis. Episodes ain't cheap you know... (like 150,000 USD for 1 ep?) :>

Real shame though, because I think the show is really starting to get interesting now as Ei-chan aims to go pro. Thinking about how strong the players at the All-Japan Tournament are makes me excited: the two opponents that Ei-chan struggled with lost in the first round, and Ei-chan has to WIN that tournament!! I think I got chills for a moment even.

Loved the kindred spirit part where he meets the second seed. It was nice seeing them so awkward and interested in talking to each other but not quite willing. XD

lovexLuffy said:
I'm really liking the fact that Ei-chans training is so realistic. That he has to work hard and be determined to get to where he wants to be. I like his analytical skills, as well as his drive to become better. This anime does well in making you feel that you could accomplish anything you set your mind too. You just have to keep trying and never give up. I almost want to read the manga. It's going to be such a great journey ahead witnessing Ei-chans improvements. I'm quite sad this anime only has so many episodes.

Got that right. It's pretty damn realistic, I mean, Ei-chan's even vomiting. Doing sports ain't easy physically and mentally, especially if you're not athletic and start exercising/playing sports later in life. Right now Ei-chan is going through hell to try and make up for all those years (like he said: he wishes he started tennis earlier). I knew this series would be great for its realism and I was right. It doesn't invoke excitement or passion like usual shounen sports I suppose, but it has the ability to make you think hard work really does take you somewhere. And in that way it is equally inspiring.

I want a season 2, dammit. I'm really thinking about picking the manga up after the series ends, since I doubt that it'll get any more adaptations and I REALLY want to see Ei-chan's journey.
Aug 10, 2014 9:15 PM
Nov 2010
Seeing him play that pro dude was pretty cool. I noticed in one of the shots he basically jumped into the ball with his whole body, putting his whole body weight into that shot versus just arm/shoulder/torso/leg strength. =o

That was a somewhat awkward point to end the episode. >.< It ended kinda fast for me. I really liked seeing him struggle when the coach first started that training. I haven't played tennis so can't really find anything to related it to but it looked tough since he was aching pretty bad the next day which I CAN relate to xD Can't wait for the next episode!!!

I didn't really notice the drop in quality in animation but I wasn't really paying attention to it either this episode. =X
Aug 10, 2014 11:52 PM

Jun 2012
Boombawks said:
All this training has got to him, his muscles ain't the place where it's spazing.

"please kill me"
Aug 11, 2014 12:53 AM

Oct 2013
Well hopefully Takuma wins the tournament
Aug 11, 2014 5:14 AM

Nov 2010
Wow, that training was so hard to even look at. :D
but then again, if you want to be pro at that age ... i can understand.
Aug 11, 2014 12:01 PM

Jul 2013
In the ideal world this series would have gotten the budget of Haikyuu and Haikyuu would have gotten BS' budget. Then again flashy stories always sell better than the realistic ones.
Aug 11, 2014 2:51 PM

Aug 2009
MoeGod said:
In the ideal world this series would have gotten the budget of Haikyuu and Haikyuu would have gotten BS' budget. Then again flashy stories always sell better than the realistic ones.

Haikyu is pretty realistic as well. There are plenty of people who like it because of that fact, as well as the comedy and the "feel good" feelings they receive after watching it. Must you put down another anime in order to praise one? You sound really pressed. This is suppose to be a forum about Baby Steps. So let's keep it that way.

Aug 11, 2014 10:30 PM

Jan 2013
Great episode, must be saving the animation budget.
I just want this to adapt the whole manga. It only keeps getting better
Aug 12, 2014 1:27 AM

Jul 2013
lovexLuffy said:
MoeGod said:

Haikyu is pretty realistic as well. There are plenty of people who like it because of that fact, as well as the comedy and the "feel good" feelings they receive after watching it. Must you put down another anime in order to praise one? You sound really pressed. This is suppose to be a forum about Baby Steps. So let's keep it that way.

Haikyuu is the most cliche sports anime you can find, it's pretty much a poor copy of Slam Dunk from the characters right down to the story sequence. The comedy was forced & cringe-worthy (Hinata's stupidity, getting jealous of other team's pretty manager, etc) and the drama, oh my God the drama, you won't find high school boys acting like some insecure girls in Baby Steps like in Haikyuu. Sure Haikyuu has realistic action but everything else brought it down.

Baby Steps is pretty unique in that it addresses the sport it's portraying head-on. It's not afraid to delve into technical details, no shounen-ish (often dragged out) drama, no unnecessary gloating & talking down between opponents (this is plenty in Haikyuu), while the matches are constant tactical and technical battles instead of overcoming some corny trauma. I'm within my rights to be pissed that this kind of anime doesn't get the budget it deserves while average stories masked with over-the-top content like Haikyuu or KnB got such a high budget.
Aug 12, 2014 1:42 AM

Aug 2009
MoeGod said:

You seem to be in the minority because many people like the comedy, characters, story, plot progression and etc. from what I can tell...I'm not about to argue with you about Haikyu and whether its good or not. People have different preferences, taste and opinions. But like I said no need to put down something down in order to lift something up. It's distasteful and tactless. You can be pissed all you want it won't change a thing. This anime didn't get the budget that it deserves, I share the same sentiment, but that wasn't for us to decide. I'm sure they tried to get as much budget as they could and this is only what they could muster up.

I like Haikyu and I like Baby Steps. They are both unique within their own merits.

Aug 12, 2014 2:50 PM

Nov 2013
Well, derp faces aside this was a very good episode.

Souji is awesome. I like his playful attitude and his passion for tennis, you could tell he loves the game so much from how many games he played yet was still unsatisfied/disappointed when he was told to call it a day. I'm guessing he is the big boss that Eiiciro will surpass by the end? That will be interesting (and very entertaining) to see if it happens (it seems like this will have an anime original ending which is a shame).

Eiichiro's training is rather ruthless, which makes sense considering what he wants to become and his current level. Takuma was affected by Note-kun's perseverance and now he is fired up and could possibly win the tournament. I wish we could see some matches for both Takuma and Araya and get some insight on what they are thinking of after their development and renewed determination to go pro. But sadly it doesn't look like that will happen judging by the preview, but hey, watching Eiichiro's rigorous training isn't too bad either :)

I was already thinking that the cast is a little big for a 25 episode series, and today they introduced even MORE characters, which was confusing but then I discovered that the manga is around 300 chapters and still ongoing O_O
In any case, all the characters have been fun to watch and none of them really got on my nerves at all. I just hope Kageyama does something in the next episodes other than being a tool through which the author gives advice to our main character, he's cool as he is but still. Also this new Nabae guy seems interesting. Definitely sounds like a good rival of sorts for Eiichiro if they happen to play against each other in the next tournament.

Overall a pretty darn good episode, 5/5
BotatoAug 12, 2014 2:53 PM
Sep 12, 2014 4:58 PM

Mar 2008
Baby steps never fails to deliver... and man, I just love the ED song, so much feels

I pretty much agree with MoeGod in regards to Haikyuu. Only watching it for Oikawa now, really can't stand the MC
Nov 4, 2014 11:06 AM

Sep 2011
Oh god that training regiment was so intense. Ive done something similar for track, but he has to keep his eye on the ball, which is 2x harder! #Much respect
Feb 8, 2015 9:17 AM

Jun 2014
Note taker meets laptop note taker

a fated rivalry begins !!

Mar 8, 2015 6:49 AM

Oct 2014
Good episode, cool to see a new tournament so that the anime widens you're sight on how good of tennis players there actually are. Damn Arya is the 16th seed and Maruo had a very difficult time against him. I wonder who the first seed is.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 28, 2015 5:03 PM
Jan 2015
Loving this anime! I'm catching up now for Season 2!
Mar 2, 2016 3:25 AM

Aug 2013
Fight fight.. I wanna time skip to the next tournament badly.
Apr 4, 2016 6:32 AM

Nov 2013
I'm calling it now! Ei-chan will be an " ALL-A" player..thus he'll still be called Ei-chan ( A-chan ) No joke.
Apr 10, 2016 9:56 PM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
I know that feeling. First time you do crunches or ab workouts, your ab area feels like it got hit so hard. I've had my fair share of exercise routines, it ain't fun at first. And it's true about what they say, once your body is broken down, eventually you'll get used to the exercises and the pain will lessen.

2nd half of the episode was ok. Surprisingly Oobayashi and the other guy lost in the first round.

The awkward moment when you meet your other half lol
That electronic note taker xD

Mar 19, 2017 5:27 PM
Sep 2009
Ah, so I'm not the only one who was bothered by that face XD

While I do understand the rush to train, over tiring your body on daily basis will cause more harm than help.

Break is necessary to let the muscles recover otherwise they'll just break. Quiet often body starts to perform much better after a break. They really should re-think the training menu.

Eijun won't be of much competition if he dies from exhaustion.
Jan 20, 2018 1:08 AM

Jun 2016
In the words of Lord Aris "If you try to beat the good guys you never will, but if you try to beat them in small ways you'll get there", or something like that. The first match was a really cool example of this. Maruo recognized he couldn't remotely win, so what he did was he put in his all to crack the great wall of Soji and score one point. And alike the god Armada, Soji's strength partially comes from his ability to treat every match like it's grand finals and never let up his concentration or skill. And the way Maruo broke the wall by switching up his play and baiting Soji with a fake run was fantastic. He honestly used his weakness as a player physically and technically to his advantage by hitting Soji a ball he would never expect while learning from the last few balls.

Whenever I see training regimens like this... or even much smaller ones I'm always inspired to start one myself, but I shouldn't kid myself. At best I'll work out for a month and then stop. But, I'll still try again because Baby Steps has inspired me yet again.

Maruo and Nabae awkwardly watching each other take notes was absolutely hilarious and adorable. I also loved the way Takuma karate chopped his greeting and revealed that Maruo wanted to go pro like it was nothing. I'm really excited to watch Nabae more, and see him more. His way of play is a really consistently good one and he seems adorable, if not a bit pretentious. So, he should be real fun to watch and I'm curious how he'll be beaten by Takuma or whatever, if he does play him and lose to him that is. I suppose he could lose to someone else first, or happen to beat them, like Araya, and in any case he's another one I want to watch play. Araya is my husbando.
Apr 25, 2019 9:33 AM
Apr 2016
Ei-chan is practicing REALLY hard, damn. Well, I think this is boring honestly...
Feb 11, 2020 5:38 PM
Jul 2018
I thought I was going to be the only one to mention it in the forum, but it seems three or four users already beat me to the punch. Nonetheless, I'll leave these screencaps here:

Nov 24, 2020 7:43 AM

Jul 2017
This show deserves better visuals, the derp faces at times in this episode frustrated me.

Still, at least the meat of the show is still fantastic, and that's the writing. Now that Maruo's focused on becoming a pro, he has to train like one and catch up to the standard where the others are. Given how he hasn't played tennis since he was a kid, he couldn't naturally develop his body and his skills from a young age at a slow, steady rate so the accelerated and more intense training regiment would suck for him to go through. But that's his only option sadly. He also witnesses some players in the tournament and realizes how difficult the tournament and the level of pro tennis could potentially be when playing Ike for a bit too. Guy's like an ant in comparison. Still a long way to go for him but he's definitely determined to work his ass off to get to that stage next year.

Nabae was also introduced now as the 2nd seed of the All-Japan Junior tournament, and he seems interesting, kind of similar to Maruo. He isn't flashy but he's definitely a great player and an analytical one too given his system of breaking down what makes the perfect tennis player (or All-A in his case).
Mar 22, 2022 11:14 AM

Jul 2021
Ei-chan is almost overworking, better do Pomodoro method for once
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

May 24, 2023 12:34 PM
May 2020
Brutal training regimen.
Are they claiming that it isn't possible to become a pro in college?

More topics from this board

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 6, 2014

143 by JeremiahOrange »»
Oct 5, 2023 6:50 AM

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 21, 2014

93 by 1Konochi »»
Jun 14, 2023 5:49 PM

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 14, 2014

55 by 1Konochi »»
Jun 14, 2023 2:40 PM

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 7, 2014

54 by 1Konochi »»
Jun 5, 2023 12:04 PM

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 24, 2014

52 by 1Konochi »»
May 27, 2023 10:16 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.