Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Irregular at Magic High School (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Aug 9, 2014 5:25 PM

Jun 2014
They made a big deal out of a 1km snipe, didn't seem that impressive to me.
Just look at Craig Harrison, he took out two insurgents from 2.5km away, which was 1km beyond the recommended range for his rifle. He actually fired three shots accurately at that range, the third hitting a gun.

Someone even made a 1.5km shot in the friggin 1870s.

1km is like the normal range for most modern snipers.
Aug 9, 2014 5:36 PM

Sep 2011
Silly sniper, you do not mess with Miyuki's Onii-sama and get away with it.

Good start to the new arc. Now it's about something that can store magic sequences, like a philosopher's stone, eh? Well, I'm gonna need to rectify my understanding of what a CAD is, because I thought that was exactly what they did.
Aug 9, 2014 6:37 PM

Aug 2013
a new arc starts and a new villain appears, this arc already excited and started well with some battles, but Tatsuya remains strong and intelligent as always, but this time he has his hands in something that can put your sister in danger, I'm curious about the this arc development ..
Aug 9, 2014 6:55 PM

May 2010
Good english demonstration.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Aug 9, 2014 6:55 PM

Jan 2011
yay new arc already seems far more interesting than most of the series already.

but at this point people shouldn't be surprised by anything Tatsuya does i just remind myself he is pretty much god and move on lol
Aug 9, 2014 7:01 PM
Jun 2014
I'd just like to point out a couple of things that other people have been questioning.

Firstly, the sniper shot. 2,4575m is, indeed, the world record for the longest confirmed kill with a sniper. That's the world record. It takes a sniper bullet 3 seconds to go that distance, meaning that if you have a non-static target you're essentially guessing and praying for a killshot. Even at a distance of 1km killshots are quite hard to pull off.

The army and the police force are trained to shoot for the largest target that is still likely to result in a fatal wound - and that would be the torso, not the head. The only region that would possibly result in an instant death scenario, which would be the only scenario where Tatsuya would effectively die, would be a shot able to rupture the spinal cord. Otherwise, a shot to the head would also effectively be a KO. Since deaths related to spinal cord injury usually occur in the neck, and the military aims for the torso, it is very unlikely a military or police force unit will kill Tatsuya, simply because they are unaware of his regenerative powers.

Which brings up another point. The only reason why Tatsuya is so successful all the time is, indeed, because people don't know who he is. Had the cardinal known he was Silver, his school would probably have won the match. Had the sniper known about his regenerative powers, he would've aimed for the head. And so on.

Some people claim that the veil of secrecy is becoming a running gag of sorts. While I can see that in the way that he keeps getting drafted into competitions that force him to reveal a bit more of who he truly is, the assumption that people aren't aware something's off is erroneous. It is because they're slowly but steadily begging to have a better grasp of who they're dealing with that they keep entrusting him with those tasks. During the final event of the high school competition, one of his classmates correctly concluded that he was, indeed, Taurus Silver (well, at least the Silver part is correct), although the implications of that revelation are, to this episode, yet to be fully realized.

To be honest, the biggest blunder so far this series has committed is providing Tatsuya with opponents that have yet to realize the significance of opposing his high school. It would seem that the criminal organizations have yet to understand that not one but two criminal headquarters that have opposed Tatsuya's high school have been wiped out, and now a third one has entered the fray with no more awareness than the other two. I trust they'll eventually be aware of what is going on, but the way this aspect has been portrayed so far is lacking at best.

Now on to the new arc. The theme this time around is relics for instant magical activation sequences and earth-magic based nuclear energy. The first topic has me slightly confused; it was my understanding that Tatsuya was already able to do what these stones would accomplish through the use of his photographic memory, which would make this project a purely selfless one. Perhaps this implies certain new mechanics that haven't been fully disclosed yet (I'll rewatch the episode after posting this to make sure I'm not missing anything). The second bit, related to earth-magic based nuclear tech is somewhat humorous, as I believe that what they're trying to find a theoretical basis for is the kind of magic used in the very first scene of the very first episode of the series (go rewatch it if you don't remember the finger pistol that triggered a nuke; it is quite a badass moment). That essentially means he might have to reveal that using finger pistols to fire nukes is something that can be accomplished, and try avoid admitting he has done it before. I can't imagine the general will take too keenly on disclosing what is most likely a top secret government weapon, albeit I'm fairly certain it'll fall into the "only 50 or so wizards are able to use it worldwide" loop.

On a slightly unrelated note, was it just me or was there a fragment of a new battle song in this episode? I'm about to go find out what it was, I enjoyed the small piece I listened to.

I'd still rate the show a 9.5/10.

(well that's a long reply)
Aug 9, 2014 7:15 PM
Jul 2014
@invalidcharacter
I'm pretty sure hes just been wiping out criminal branches so far, not the headquarters. Last episode (18) he had to ask for their boss's name.
Aug 9, 2014 7:18 PM
Jun 2014
@datboishagg

Sorry, I meant to say the headquarters of the branches, but the word "branch" slipped my mind as I was typing that.
Aug 9, 2014 7:57 PM

Jul 2013
when miyuki showed off the apron the ost was from an old bollywood song and the lyric translated to "my heart" which made things awkward to watch.

also that relic looks like a tape dispenser
Aug 9, 2014 8:04 PM
Oct 2012
invalidcharacter said:
Which brings up another point. The only reason why Tatsuya is so successful all the time is, indeed, because people don't know who he is.

Yeah, this probably should have been better established from the start. They focused too much on his supposed low magical rank and not enough of clan elitism at the beginning. I mean it is one of the most important points to the series so this should have been driven home.

invalidcharacter said:
it was my understanding that Tatsuya was already able to do what these stones would accomplish through the use of his photographic memory, which would make this project a purely selfless one.

Yes, but remember his goal is to be able to have a spell work without needing the magician to constantly activate it (even with his using memory, it still requires him to cast it). There could be a lot of selfish reasons for him to want this, one of which is that he could better protect Miyuki with this ability (he wouldn't always have to be by her side then).

I am a bit curious though how he is going to reconcile his "peaceful" desire for his technology with the obvious fact that everything he makes is also a weapon. This ties into your point about the General not being too thrilled to release that sort of information.

So far this worldview has been where the show has been fairly childish, I can't image why flying wasn't immediately classified.

None of the problems above or the natural conclusions from them though are unresolvable, indeed if this series goes where I think it is going, it will be. A simple clue was how Tatsuya thought to put a spell into flying to protect the magician, so I think the writer has an idea, he just needs to execute it.
Aug 9, 2014 8:09 PM
Oct 2012
orchidork said:
also that relic looks like a tape dispenser

Ah, so it does, never really thought of it that way, but you are right.

You probably know this, but those were popular pieces of jewelry that dates back over 2,000 years. In Japan they are generally associated with the supernatural.

Something I didn't quite get the first time around is that in this world magic always existed, ancient magic is what we would call magic today, it requires long incantations to do (think of D&D and spell books). Because modern magic has been automated with CAD's people think that modern magic is more powerful than ancient magic, but that is not the case.
Aug 9, 2014 8:17 PM

Mar 2012
F*ck

This arc is way worst than the previous one.
Do you play Azure Lane?
Then please join my fanclub
https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=74907
Aug 9, 2014 8:32 PM
Jun 2014
I'm 99% sure that relic was 1/2 of a yin yang symbol.
Aug 9, 2014 8:42 PM

Apr 2008
Zeta986 said:
F*ck

This arc is way worst than the previous one.

Calling that from the first episode huh. How about you shut up and wait and see instead of jumping to conclusions like a fool
Aug 9, 2014 8:48 PM

Jul 2013
creepy smiling dude at the end seems to be a new villain.. let's see how you do against Tatsuya
Aug 9, 2014 8:57 PM
Oct 2012
invalidcharacter said:
I'm 99% sure that relic was 1/2 of a yin yang symbol.

Humm, that is a bit of a chicken and an egg question, but chances are no.

The Magatama predates known Japanese interaction with China, so it is unlikely, though not impossible, that they had any idea of Taoism. As such it would be an example of parallel development.
Aug 9, 2014 8:59 PM

Mar 2012
I just played the onii-sama drinking game with the cousin to this episode. It was about 9 or 10 shots (half shots?). Definitely a great idea though, though had I done this with some of the previous episodes, alcohol poisoning and death would have been a very real possibility. It's starting to hit me now.
Aug 9, 2014 9:21 PM
Oct 2012
DAT ENGRISH! OH GOD I LAUGHED SO HARD
Aug 9, 2014 9:26 PM

Aug 2013
Start of a new arc.

More Tatsuya being a legit badass.
Tatsuya hit in the kokoro, heals and snipes the dude from like a mile away with a pistol.

Miyuki being super assertive this episode. Really brining out that sexiness for her onii-sama.

Love how they just happened to recruit the worlds most intelligent magical genius for this thesis competition. " yea we think Tatsuya is the smartest one for this thesis". Probably since he co-invented his own guns. Invented flying magic and the CAD for it. Invented the gray haired girl's shooting magic. Did all of the research to attempt alchemy, and is the only one capable of replicating a relic. A replicated relic that would also change the entire world of magic if he does it.
Aug 9, 2014 9:33 PM

Dec 2011
Dammit! they skip the best part before this arc start: HONOKA CONFESSED AND WAS REJECTED BY TATSUYA HAHAHA
Aug 9, 2014 9:37 PM
Oct 2012
msnhao said:
DAT ENGRISH! OH GOD I LAUGHED SO HARD

Actually, for a Japanese show, that was amazingly good English.

Its a bit conspiratorial in thinking, but I sometimes wonder if the powers who be in Japan mandate that English be butchered in Japanese shows. They make errors that even a middle school student would not make.
Aug 9, 2014 10:06 PM

Aug 2013
the OP is strong with our lord and savior Jesus-sama ...
Aug 9, 2014 10:39 PM

Jun 2014
The beginning felt way too fast.
I don't read the novel so I don't know if Tatsuya is actually going to do the Thesis Competition, but if he does, First High will wreck them

When they said that Tatsuya was going to quit First High School I had a mini panic ther XD

Miyuki's apron <3

That english sounded like some weird sitcom lol XD

That smile at the end though XD
Aug 9, 2014 10:45 PM
Jul 2011
Tatsuya being sarcastic at Miyuki's apron appearance.
Tatsuya, is he really not romantically in love with his sister? I begin to doubt his true feelings.
Just marry her if you do not want to upset Master Clans any further, since Miyuki is from a Master Clan

Jumonji, as Tatsuya's father in law, is worried about Tatsuya's future so he was already more than will to offer his daughter Mayumi, but if Tatsuya confessed his true feelings that who he loves is actually Miyuki.
What would Jumonji's reactions will be?
Will he faint?
rladls717Aug 9, 2014 11:00 PM
Aug 9, 2014 10:52 PM

Apr 2012
another pistol no scope from miles away lol
get reckt'd

Confirmed: Tatsuya is the Fullmetal Alchemist
More awkward dialogue between the two siblings @_@

Aug 9, 2014 11:07 PM

Aug 2013
Sometimes I can't help but think "why are these bad guys even trying?" then I remember they don't know what Tatsuya's capable of. They didn't read the LN I guess lol.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Aug 9, 2014 11:22 PM

Jul 2012
I'm not this far in the LN but this episode just seemed to have all of the pieces way too easily. Felt more like a synopsis type episode.
Aug 9, 2014 11:26 PM

Dec 2013
The guy was boss. The sister was so cute. I wish I was that guy. Dang. 5/5.
"No one knows what the future holds. That's why its potential is infinite.” - Okabe Rintarou

"El Psy Congroo."

Kirino Kyousake Picture
Aug 9, 2014 11:32 PM

Oct 2013
I guess you have to completely obliterate tatsuya to kill him
Aug 10, 2014 12:23 AM

Dec 2012
Onii-sama is untouchable. Calculating the path of the bullet after being shot.
Aug 10, 2014 12:46 AM

Jun 2013
Woah, looks like the start of a new action packed arc.

Lol at the engrish

Miyuki apron service was good stuffs.

DAYUM Tatsuya got hit ooOOoOOOo
Aug 10, 2014 2:01 AM

Jul 2010
It's kind of sad how hard Miyuki tries... C'mon Tatsuya, give her what she wants ; ) Haha, that engrish was hilarious. Also this episode confirmed that Tatsuya is a god.
Aug 10, 2014 2:06 AM

Jul 2012
New arch and Tatsuya showing his OP skills. He basically got shot and recovered instantly with his godmode ability and tracked down where the sniper is shooting from and killed him in a second.
Tom's Hardware graphics veteran++ (Legacy)
i7 6700K@4.0 GHz, ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING, RTX 2080, G. Skill RipJaws V 3200MHz 16GB,
Noctua NH-D15, CorsairRM 850x, Win10x64, 1920x1080

MyAnimeList!
Aug 10, 2014 2:38 AM

Jul 2012
This arc is gong to be the bomb.

I really cannot wait to see more action in this action.

Great episode!!!
Aug 10, 2014 2:56 AM

Mar 2012
neonBdragon said:
I really cannot wait to see more action in this action.

I feel you bro ^^ This is already epic and the most epic part is coming now, excellent!

I don't know why but I feel like this anime is a bit underrated, in my opinion it is one of the best this year.

What?! Decent english seiyuu's? That's rare.
Nice electronic/dubstep soundtrack.

Tatsuya being badass as always.
Awesome episode as always.
Aug 10, 2014 3:10 AM

Jan 2011
Not even a naked apron, fanservice fail.
Aug 10, 2014 3:36 AM

May 2013
He got shot. Still alive. Poor sniper guy. Good try though.
I like Tatsuya's responses to Miyuki's seduction. So freshly initiated.
Another possibly formidable opponent awaits Tatsuya.
Aug 10, 2014 3:37 AM
Apr 2013
Chabe said:
They made a big deal out of a 1km snipe, didn't seem that impressive to me.
Just look at Craig Harrison, he took out two insurgents from 2.5km away, which was 1km beyond the recommended range for his rifle. He actually fired three shots accurately at that range, the third hitting a gun.

Someone even made a 1.5km shot in the friggin 1870s.

1km is like the normal range for most modern snipers.

You are aware that sniping during nighttime is completely different than sniping at daytime right? You have lower visibility at nighttime, so hitting Tatsuya 1km away at night is impressive.
Aug 10, 2014 3:49 AM

Mar 2013
Hell yeah! New arc!
Philosopher's Stone?
Where are the Elric brothers at? ;)
Aug 10, 2014 4:03 AM

Feb 2014
Onii-sama putting in work as per usual. Not enough harem action here however.
Aug 10, 2014 4:07 AM

Dec 2011
Completely forgot that Toshikazu and Sayuri would be introduced in this episode. That opening scene was quite nice to see.
Aug 10, 2014 4:57 AM

Nov 2012
Gets shot in the chest, continues as if nothing happened.... so boss :P
Aug 10, 2014 5:30 AM

Oct 2013
What I'm personally having problems with is that the people who get to choose what to show and what not to are, a lot of the time, not picking the right stuff. I still don't get why it's important to show Miyuki fawning over Tatsuya for the nth time while removing plot important scenes like the one where Tatsuya tells Mibu about his goal of realizing a Thermonuclear Reactor being the reason why he isn't bothered much by the discrimination she was talking about. Of course, without showing that scene, they couldn't show Ichihara Suzune eavesdropping on that conversation, which directly led to her decision to recommend Tatsuya to the Thesis competition team. While she doesn't know that the reactor is but another step on the path to Tatsuya's ultimate goal, she saw that they shared the same goal and with his previous prowess in mind, she chose him.

I realize it doesn't really change the fact that she did, in fact, arbitrarily choose him but it's things like this that build the context, especially on why Tatsuya was a bit quick this time to accept.

I don't think anyone can claim that the LNs are perfect but sometimes the author's penchant of writing the details of absolutely everything helps to make things a lot clearer, in my opinion.
OpalMidgeAug 10, 2014 5:57 AM
Aug 10, 2014 5:44 AM

Dec 2011
millie10468 said:
What I'm personally having problems with is that the people who get to choose what to show and what not to are, a lot of the time, not picking the right stuff. I still don't get why it's important to show Miyuki fawning over Tatsuya for the nth time while removing plot important scenes like the one where Tatsuya tells Mibu about his goal of realizing a Thermonuclear Reactor being the reason why he isn't bothered much by the discrimination she was talking about. Of course, without showing that scene, they couldn't show Ichihara Suzune eavesdropping on that competition, which directly led to her decision to recommend Tatsuya to the Thesis competition team. While she doesn't know that the reactor is but another step on the path to Tatsuya's ultimate goal, she saw that they shared the same goal and with his previous prowess in mind, she chose him.

I realize it doesn't really change the fact that she did, in fact, arbitrarily choose him but it's things like this that build the context, especially on why Tatsuya was a bit quick this time to accept.

I don't think anyone can claim that the LNs are perfect but sometimes the author's penchant of writing the details of absolutely everything helps to make things a lot clearer, in my opinion.

Not surprised they did that since they even skip one "filler" volumeof the novel that have some important plot like:
-A-chan's presidency
-Mayuki's guess about Tatsuya's true identity. and the explanation about the fate for those who becomes Guardians like Tatsuya (and some more explanation about the 10 master clan)
-AND HONOKA CONFESSED AND WAS REJECTED BY TATSUYA lol
Aug 10, 2014 5:57 AM

Jun 2013
I am suspecting that the author doesn't have a good view on foreigners. First it's chinese triads, then some armed aliens and now some kind of alliance of Asian nations? Which apparently Japan isn't part of.

And why does Miyuki looks like she is ready to be taken then and there everytime Tatsuya pats her?
Missing the times of Rewrite, good times.
Aug 10, 2014 5:58 AM

Jan 2014
Seriously, this shit again?

If we didn't get shit the first time you brought that up, we won't get shit the second.

Huh, am I the only who wondered why Miyuki would squat before her brother for apparent no reason during his magic lecture? Was she preparing herself to get patted on the head or...?

Nope, I don't wanna think of any other possibility.

Oh, and did I forget to say that Miyuki is a very weird person?

I have no idea how acting insufferably cute is supposed to show your resentment towards your step mother. What kind of logic is this? That's just super awkward. Heck, even Tatsuya's embarassed.
Also, why does she even care? It's not like she said a single word to her father when she and Tatsuya met him a few episodes ago.

Well at least the action was decent. Tatsuya was shot and resurrected himself again. The bad guys are going to have so much fun during this arc.
And of course after a hard day's work Bosstsuya can finally come home and get some tea served by his favorite apron-wearing imouto. This show is trying so hard to make me hate it, it's not even funny.
SapewlothAug 10, 2014 6:55 AM
Proud founder of The Official Anti-Ging Freecss Fan Club Join now!
Kellhus said:
GuusWayne said:
there is a limit to the suspension of disbelief

And it's the fan that did it. Not the smoking porn reading rubik cube genius rape ape with a magic boat.
Aug 10, 2014 6:21 AM

Dec 2011
^
Huh, am I the only who wondered why Miyuki would squat before her brother for apparent no reason during his magic lecture? Was she preparing herself to get patted on the head or...?

She's squatting because she does not understand fully her brother's explanation, which makes her feel down. Knowing this Tatsuya pats her head to make her feels better,.( This was explained in the lght novel, but does not translate that well in the anime)
Aug 10, 2014 7:16 AM

Dec 2011
Those police officers sure seemed strong and who were those guys that came out of the well to be greeted by a butler I'd presume.

Ohoooo, The Philosopher's Stone Tatsuya said huh.

Ah, of course the mighty Onii-sama is chosen to be a part of the team that will compete in that thesis competition.

So that's their stepmother huh.

I find it funny how Tatsuya talkd like a robot and his motivations also seems robot-like.

The discussion tha Tatsuya had with his stepmother was rather interesting.

Those guys were speaking in English lol.

Holy crap... they managed to snipe Onii-sama... SACRILEGE I TELL YOU!

Miyuki sure looked sexy in that apron :3

Ah, another episode that showcases Onii-sama (I've switched to calling him this after calling him Tatsuya) epicness to the max!
"Let justice be done, though the heavens fall."
Aug 10, 2014 7:22 AM

Jan 2014
amc9988 said:
^

She's squatting because she does not understand fully her brother's explanation, which makes her feel down. Knowing this Tatsuya pats her head to make her feels better,.( This was explained in the lght novel, but does not translate that well in the anime)
eh, I guess that sorta makes sense.
Proud founder of The Official Anti-Ging Freecss Fan Club Join now!
Kellhus said:
GuusWayne said:
there is a limit to the suspension of disbelief

And it's the fan that did it. Not the smoking porn reading rubik cube genius rape ape with a magic boat.
Aug 10, 2014 7:28 AM

Sep 2008
Oh look, Tatsuya is going to solve one of the great mysteries. Wow. He must be smart. Oh well, guess I should've come to that conclussion after he solved unsolvable mysteries before.

One day, after Tatsuya decides he's tired of this world and develops faster-than-light travel children will read books about him.
"Tell me Sensei, who invented these Godlike abilities we now use?"
"It is all the work of great Tatsuya my child. We still hope he will return to us one day, and bless us with even bigger technological marvels."

Why is this show constantly making technological breakthroughs? Why is Tatsuya the one solving them all? When are side-characters going to get character development? When is Miyuki going to stop blushing? When is Miyuki going to stop repeating onii-sama and get development?
This is like watching Hellsing ultimate except they didn't show any character developing scenes and just show Alucard going around killing people. Lady Hellsing doesn't get any speeches, just repeats to Alucard "search and destroy".

TL;DR: Give me some bloody character development instead of technological ones. They keep mentioning how ten families are important and even propose Tatsuya marries into one. But that gets 10 seconds of screen while explaining magic with mumbo-jumbo takes 15 minutes. The other 4 are Miyuki blushing.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 30, 2014

248 by Fortunekeks »»
May 15, 6:20 PM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jun 7, 2014

248 by otakuweek »»
May 13, 6:42 PM

» Sooo is there incest in this anime ? (may contain spoilers )

Zyro_Plaze - Apr 26

33 by Champiggy »»
May 3, 8:12 AM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 27, 2014

457 by ExSant0 »»
Apr 19, 2:43 PM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 3, 2014

308 by taifd77 »»
Apr 6, 8:00 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.