Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 10, 2014 8:02 AM
Aug 2013
Shaniyaz said:
Rinka put up a good fight but she has a long way to go. Minami's attacks would be rendered futile if they'd just phase through her.

Rinka can only pass through objects, so she can't phase through Minami herself.
Aug 10, 2014 8:50 AM

Jun 2013
If Minami becomes main character, this show will be great!
Aug 10, 2014 10:10 AM

Apr 2013
The show doesn't make any sense. .-.
Hope hay clarify all of it.
Aug 10, 2014 10:47 AM

Oct 2013
Besides the usual bits & pieces from the manga that were cut out,I'm going to say that is where the anime shines more which,if you think about it,is natural when it comes to some intense action sequence assuming they're done well enough or at least decent. This is probably also because there was no need for things to slow down here,making the faster pace of the anime work in it's favor this time. As a result,the episode felt pretty intense,something which reading the corresponding chapter in the manga couldn't deliver as well.

^Now that's for the 2nd part of the episode but I found the rest to be handled nicely as well. That glimpse of Kyoutarou & Minami's past was rearranged & shown to us through her reminiscing instead of his like it was in the manga but it was handled just as well. The same applies for what follows,when Rinka & Kyoutarou have their little conversation on the rooftop,followed by her thoughts about him. Maybe it's just me,but it felt like the anime also knew when to slow down a bit this time.

The "meh" part was probably that they cut out the conversation between Rinka & Kobushi at her workplace where

Another,much longer part was skipped where it show's why exactly did the police come to question Rinka. Basically,

I wouldn't even put these events in spoiler tags but did it just in case the anime decides to show them later. But I don't think there's much chance of that because they'd be pretty hard to rearrange given what was already shown so I'd kind of encourage people to read them.

Not knowing about these events didn't really bother me,but learning about them did enrich my experience,which seems to be the trend for me with Tokyo ESP.
Aug 10, 2014 11:02 AM

Dec 2013
I have no qualms with the Professor being such a bad-ass villain. I love how these evil leaders have certain ideals (however wrong they may be) and uphold them to the end.

Minami is another interesting character. I'm hoping that we'll see real soon as to why she is joining her "dad's" side of her own free will, even though she probably knows that in the back of her head what she's doing is wrong.

I also kind of like how Rinka and Azuma got the shit beaten out of them. Not that I don't support their fight for justice and all that. Just that I don't find their ideals all that believable, or rather I don't believe that their fight can be won on ideals alone, but through the blood and sacrifice of them and their comrades. This episode was well written in that it showed them the limit of their abilities and how hopeless they were when facing a much more experienced, and much more powerful enemy who was ready to make the necessary sacrifices for their ideals. Here's hoping that they learn their lessons and smarten up.

I'm guessing the blondie was Black Widow's little sister? I wonder what exactly her power is, and I wonder who the heck is controlling the levitation of the tanker. That dude is seriously powerful!

Welp... next episode please! I wanna see more development!
HESTIAAPPROVES
Aug 10, 2014 11:20 AM

Oct 2013
So this guy is considered 'Ultimate evil' to the point of the main girl wanting to stop him at all costs, why? Because he wants to establish an ESP Zone which is actually a rather good idea, keeping humans and espers in the same place is a horrible idea, separating them would negate espers being able to run wild like they had been doing with their superpowers and would stop the discrimination....
I am a human.
Aug 10, 2014 11:50 AM

Jul 2012
Flying....Golden Fish that give you Esper powers if they touch you.
Penguins that can fly?! D:
This...is Tokyo ESP...

But, overall this was a good episode. Got to see some fighting scenes, a little bit of a background info on Minami and the "Professor". Also, it seems that....the Espers want there own Zone in Tokyo? owo Whoa....they want to be separated from the humans. :P
Aug 10, 2014 4:55 PM

Nov 2013
The rearranging of events and cutting out of certain scenes is really throwing me off. I'm gonna have to re-read the manga when this is over.

Anyway, the episode wasn't bad just disappointing. I don't get why they'd introduce new characters now.. 3/5
Aug 10, 2014 7:45 PM

Jan 2008
Shit really hit the fan with this episode. So the Professor is really Two-face? Damn Kyoutaro, your hand. I'm hoping Kyoutaro comes back stronger, disillusioned, more ruthless, and kills that Professor bastard. I wonder if they'll give him a hook for something?

I thought Kyoutaro and his (adopted) sister were really close from those flashbacks, but I guess all that went down the drain when they attempted to hurt his friends, even having his severed hand as a visual metaphor, showing his bond with her being severed from the time Minami patched up Kyoutaro in middle school.
Aug 10, 2014 8:02 PM
Mar 2013
Nothing more annoying than a MC that talks big then gets their ass kicked. That shit continue to bug the fuck out of me.
Aug 11, 2014 1:43 AM

May 2014
Well his was underwhelming. Due to the rushed pacing they're just playing out the events, but isn't generating effective drama due to the lack of characterization.

Some world building and establishing the antagonist- Magneto. But it's so deadpan and boring it's not even funny.

2/5 Underwhelming. I'm just going to read the manga up to this point.
Aug 11, 2014 5:39 AM

Jun 2008
UndeadSoul said:
Nothing more annoying than a MC that talks big then gets their ass kicked. That shit continue to bug the fuck out of me.

In the manga it's done a lot better - it shows how overconfident Rinka is in her fighting ability and ESP. Everything so far went okay for her and Kyoutaro and she became complacent. Now the reality hits her, hard.
Anime fails to show it though. Probably because of pacing problems.
Aug 11, 2014 6:52 AM
May 2014
Kyoutarou rips his hand through a katana.

I might as well keep watching..
Aug 12, 2014 5:40 PM

Aug 2008
Azuma is such a badass damn. He sliced his hand for Rinka lol, but I think the sword is an illusion. I could be wrong.
Aug 13, 2014 12:55 AM

Jul 2008
Kyoutarou got the most pain handed to him, ouch >.< now we have a better understanding of some of the other enemy esper's ability :)
Aug 13, 2014 1:38 AM
Jan 2014
What the hell, the pacing is all over the place. Quite unfortunate.
This actually has a decent premise and a good OST.
Might have to read the manga, depending on how well adapted future episodes end up.
Aug 14, 2014 6:45 PM

Jun 2014
The villains in this are stupidly overpowered... Everything about the bad guys sucks so far. Terribly Disappointing.
So far I think only the music, White Hair Girl, and the flying penguin are the only reason to keep watching.
But I will keep watching, a LOT can change in a few episodes.
Be sure to message me if you quoted me and want me to respond! Just give me a link to the forum, because usually I leave my comment, then leave the forum.
Aug 16, 2014 4:41 PM

Apr 2008
Denmark-Chan said:
Am i the only one that thought that the Professor looked like Harvey Dent?
Half Red Skull
Aug 21, 2014 1:37 AM

Jan 2014
That blonde girl, the redhead's sister apparently, seemed kinda
unnecessary... Overall, a nice and interesting episode imo ^-^
Aug 21, 2014 10:33 PM

Dec 2011
Oh finally, they are starting the ESP revolution. Can't wait to see more.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 25, 2014 10:34 AM

Jan 2011
Edgy and cliché as shit. Dropped!
3/10.

Story is just too damn disappointing and bland. Q_Q
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Aug 26, 2014 12:22 PM

Dec 2008
OK. I no longer want to have the Professor's babies.

Sent with Mal Updater
Sep 10, 2014 1:37 PM

Sep 2012
That face :o
Sep 14, 2014 6:03 AM

May 2013
Hmm, the Professor is an illusion master. How the heck can they beat that?
So he's the one releasing the flying fish to create an army.
This seems like X-Men with gathering mutants to destroy humans or something.

But the Professor seemed like a good guy before, helping out Azuma.
Speaking of Azuma, Rinka seems to be falling for him.

Kobushi vs Kozuki. I wonder who'll win in a fight just between them.
Lol, Peggy just rammed straight into Kozuki and made her fall from the tanker.
Everything's an illusion for Azuma. However, will he save Rinka in time?
I’m always searching for something, for someone. This feeling has possessed me I think, from that day… That day when the stars came falling.
Nov 5, 2014 1:33 PM

May 2012
Decent development, some nice action so let's see what's next!
Feb 20, 2015 7:48 AM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
Well that escalated quickly.

- Kyotaro getting stabbed in the neck. Then his hand sliced off as he goes to rescue Rinka.

The Rinka/Minami fight was good. Minami Curb Stomping Rinka, Seth Rollins style xD

Mar 9, 2015 8:07 AM

Nov 2011
First I want to say that, in my humble opinion, this TV series as it has been conceived, has a number of episodes too small; instead talking about the episode, I find it interesting the story today.
Tale full of useful explanations to give the picture of the situation, even if the pace is too fast.
The plot is interesting but it is too synthesized because of the time available, the drawings are very beautiful while the animations are average.
The Character Design and Color Design, I like very much, this time the CG is not bad; the scenarios proposed are of great impact and made really well.
Apr 24, 2015 10:51 AM

Jan 2012
Now that was certainly a packed episode...I can see the argument that they're trying to squeeze in too much too quickly now. I still enjoyed it though. The professor can pull of Aizen level trolling. Felt bad for Kobushi having a sister like that. Enjoyed Peggy taking her down though. I still don't like Minami, unfortunately Rinka's outmatched against her though. Kyoutaro though...went badass trying to save her. Even edited that made me wince leaving quite the cliffhanger.
May 24, 2015 9:44 AM

Feb 2015
New mutants, Prof X, Caliban and uh... that blonde girl (i dont remember or know any mutants with reality wraping that is limited to only objects)

Didn't expect Azuma to injury his hand just to save Rinka, must've hurt.
Dec 20, 2015 3:56 PM

Jan 2013
Decent episode.
If the arrow was an illusion, the sword could be one aswell.
Anything now could be an illusion though, that's the issue with super powers, you dont know what the limits are.
Just like how I mentioned what the limits to Azuma's teleporting power is, apparently he cant just teleport when he's stuck by a sword?

I could go on but it would be to much, not enough info about the powers will make it hard to explain why some stuff works and others dont.

I'm liking the show but it does feel like it's all over the place.
Jan 11, 2016 6:20 AM
Dec 2009
Zeally said:
yea can't help but make xmen comparisons. Telepathic powers / The professor >>. Well the ship confrontation was pretty entertaining.

I was looking for this comment, haha. They even have their own Wolverine...
Mar 5, 2017 11:23 PM

Sep 2013
Really good episode. That illusion power would just mess me up!

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Nov 24, 2021 7:19 AM

May 2008
Finally, something other than circular exposition
Aug 27, 2023 2:18 AM

Sep 2018
ok, so now we have a goofy cheap knockoff of The Count of Monte Cristo from Gankutsuou.
Also why did those middle school delinquents sound like middle aged men?
I don't hate this show but it certainly has... issues...

Ok, I guess I can see the comparisons to X-Men on a very superficial level, but this isn't THAT similar to X-Men...
KristiwazhereAug 27, 2023 2:23 AM
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tokyo ESP Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Revenant_ - Jul 18, 2014

183 by doliwaq »»
Nov 1, 2023 3:30 PM

Poll: » Tokyo ESP Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 11, 2014

328 by Kristiwazhere »»
Aug 25, 2023 6:50 PM

Poll: » Tokyo ESP Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 19, 2014

66 by PKAmmoTroop »»
Nov 29, 2021 3:27 PM

Poll: » Tokyo ESP Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 12, 2014

77 by PKAmmoTroop »»
Nov 29, 2021 2:52 PM

Poll: » Tokyo ESP Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

-Karoshi- - Aug 1, 2014

107 by PKAmmoTroop »»
Nov 24, 2021 6:48 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.