Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Aldnoah.Zero Season One
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Jul 26, 2014 4:05 PM

Jul 2013
that dating dialogue was really out of place. it was kinda awkward to watch

this show needs more slaine too.

also, that ost and that ed.

now that the urobutcher's involvement is over it's easier to notice the show's flaws.

Orvieto said:
What reason do they have to 'trust' the princess so openly? Seeing as the Martians have cloaking devices and are shown they know how to use doubles, what's stopping a cloaked Martian from cloaking themselves as the princess, or really any high ranking authority/diplomat, and once led to the HQ broadcasts the coordinates for a direct Martian assault on the Terran leadership?

for your 1st point- i think the reason inaho might trust asseylum is because he knows that asseylum's goal from the start was to come to earth and diffuse some of the tension between the terrans and the martians.

for your 2nd point- the martians might have great mechs but they're no geniuses. on a more serious note, you've got a point
Jul 26, 2014 4:05 PM

Jun 2014
I can see the soundtrack being overplayed
Jul 26, 2014 4:09 PM

Apr 2014
Skraggy said:

It's pretty much the same thing being played every other scene in a different key or scale. It's not really special in any shape or form. Half the time I feel like I'm watching SNK, and of course, that would be because of who's composing it. A little more diversity in the sounds he uses for his composing would be nice, but I'm probably reaching too far.
Nop.
Jul 26, 2014 4:13 PM

Jul 2013
Slaine - curious as to what his next plans are.
Inaho being reckless huh. Very out of character. Wonder why :p
Dat ED. wow.
Jul 26, 2014 4:13 PM

Oct 2007
orchidork said:

now that the urobutcher's involvement is over it's easier to notice the show's flaws.

More like people are just going to be more open to noticing and criticizing the script for it's flaws that have been there since day one now since that guys reputation has to remain absolute perfect for reasons of fanboyism and people needing at least one writer in the industry to worship over like they do Sawano and his white noise music. The only real difference in the way this episode was written that I could see was not all the dialogue is hard wired towards exposition purposes. Though it's more like it went from 100% exposition dialogue to something more like 90%. There's basically just some throwaway banter now to give the sub characters a little bit more personality, but of course that's going to stand out by comparison since it actually exists now.

BullSmit said:
Skraggy said:

It's pretty much the same thing being played every other scene in a different key or scale. It's not really special in any shape or form. Half the time I feel like I'm watching SNK, and of course, that would be because of who's composing it. A little more diversity in the sounds he uses for his composing would be nice, but I'm probably reaching too far.

I'm starting to think he does it on purpose now because it'll remind people of other mega-hyped shows he worked on. I can't count the number of times people have insisted this soundtrack is a masterpiece not because of anything to do with actual composition or demonstrable appreciation of the music, but simply because it reminds them of Attack on Titan or Kill la Kill.
Jul 26, 2014 4:15 PM

Apr 2013
Skraggy said:
Like in every anime using Sawano..
Kaioshin_Sama said:
orchidork said:

More like people are just going to be more open to noticing and criticizing the script for it's flaws that have been there since day one now since that guys reputation has to remain absolute perfect for reasons of fanboyism and people needing at least one writer in the industry to worship over like they do Sawano and his white noise music. The only real difference in the way this episode was written that I could see was not all the dialogue is hard wired towards exposition purposes. Though it's more like it went from 100% exposition dialogue to something more like 90%. There's basically just some throwaway banter now to give the sub characters a little bit more personality, but of course that's going to stand out by comparison since it actually exists now.
Holy fuck you're obnoxious.. "I'm not a hater" lol right.
Jul 26, 2014 4:17 PM

Oct 2007
Sourire said:
Skraggy said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:

Holy fuck you're obnoxious.. "I'm not a hater" lol right.

Just being honest man. Learn to deal with it, not everybody is going to worship everything about these staffers all the time. I'm not putting the kiddie gloves on for these people just because they're hyped through the roof. If they want praise they actually need to earn it rather than be entitled to it.

I'm sorry this apparently makes me a hater now. I guess it really is either all in or all out to you people nowadays isn't it.
PeacingOutJul 26, 2014 4:21 PM
Jul 26, 2014 4:22 PM

Jun 2014
Sourire said:
Skraggy said:

Except this time it sounds a lot more stale.

He's probably saving the big guns for the inevitable second season of AOT
Jul 26, 2014 4:23 PM

Oct 2007
Skraggy said:
Sourire said:

Well I mean you can only go to the well so many times before it starts to dry up a little and the water doesn't taste as good anymore. That and his style really has changed a lot for the more simplistic and homogeneous ever since Guilty Crowns soundtrack. I'd like to see what he can do with a full orchestra again like he had with Unicorn and some stuff before that but it doesn't look like he's going back to it and prefers the white noise sound now. It also just has to be a lot easier, quicker and cheaper to produce if he's going to be doing every soundtrack for every show that wants to play itself off as operatic and epic now like it's starting to same. To me it's less an issue of him lacking the talent and ability so much as high demand makes it impossible to put his best into every work. That's why I still really like Yoko Kanno as an example. She's used pretty sparingly as a composer and she brings something a little different to fit the work she's handling every time she gets a contract.
TyrelJul 27, 2014 7:04 PM
Jul 26, 2014 4:25 PM

Apr 2014
Skraggy said:

I doubt the second season of AOT will sound anything different from the first.

Kaioshin_Sama said:

I'm starting to think he does it on purpose now because it'll remind people of other mega-hyped shows he worked on. I can't count the number of times people have insisted this soundtrack is a masterpiece not because of anything to do with actual composition or demonstrable appreciation of the music, but simply because it reminds them of Attack on Titan or Kill la Kill.

It's far from a masterpiece, that's for sure. I wouldn't be surprised if you're spot on with your assessment of why he actually keeps using the same programs and sounds to compose his music.

Being someone who's composed digitally, I can understand using the same programs, because you want to use what you know best, but diversity is extremely important too. It'd be nice if one day Sawano could add that to his music, but what you said above again, is likely why. Popularity >>>>>
Nop.
Jul 26, 2014 4:32 PM

Oct 2007
BullSmit said:
Skraggy said:

Kaioshin_Sama said:

It's far from a masterpiece, that's for sure. I wouldn't be surprised if you're spot on with your assessment of why he actually keeps using the same programs and sounds to compose his music.

Being someone who's composed digitally, I can understand using the same programs, because you want to use what you know best, but diversity is extremely important too. It'd be nice if one day Sawano could add that to his music, but what you said above again, is likely why. Popularity >>>>>

The thing is he can though. Here's an example of a Medley from Unicorn being performed live and showing he's perfectly capable of conducting and using an orchestra to it's full effect and doesn't actually need music programs, Mika Kobayashi or Cyua to produce a soundtrack. Like I said above I really do think it's just a matter of high demand and hype for his current white noise sound basically forcing him to use that sound for everything now. It's going to be that way pretty much until people stop buying it en masse and having orgasms over ever track he puts out.
Jul 26, 2014 4:38 PM

Oct 2011
Well,the episode is fairly decent with some good moments making it a decent+.

The action was alright.It's clear that try to use the usual Sawano "BADASS MOTHERF*CKING EPICNESS" style (which he kind of use in a number shows his worked on) to make the action more "EPIC" than it actually is.
The soundtrack is making me think about my opinion of Sawano's work.............not in the good way.He's not bad,but I am starting to notice things.

4 episodes in & the most interesting character is Slaine.I'm more interested in him & his story.The MC is..........kind of uninteresting & boring.I had the same problem with Mahouka.Emotionless,stoic & "cool" protagonists only just don't cover it for me.Unlike Mahouka,there are some other cast members who are more entertaining to watch keeping me around.
My Devianart

Oh & Space Brothers is still the best anime ever,in my opinion.Even when competing with Attack on Titan.
Jul 26, 2014 4:38 PM

Jun 2014
BullSmit said:
Skraggy said:

I wouldn't mind if that was the case. I'm just saying that it doesn't sound like he put much effort into Aldnoah.
Jul 26, 2014 4:41 PM

Nov 2011
i like the MC, All smalll talk and all action
Hate Keeps me warm
Jul 26, 2014 4:47 PM
Oct 2011
I honestly don't get where people are getting this sense of overpoweredness from the Martian Kataphracts. At best, the only thing separating this episode's kataphract from the previous one is a beam sword. It didn't show any insane movement or special bullshit things like invulnerability. If you watched the episode at all, you'd know that all forms of ammo worked on the mech. The martian just had to swing his sword to deflect them all, he wasn't impervious. What long range did the Martian mech have? Throwing his sword? Great he's out of a weapon and vulnerable to all forms of fire. That's why he didn't bother throwing his sword at Inaho.

Each Martian mech has had major downsides along with something that makes them special. The only bad thing I could consider would be Inaho's thinking, but it's honestly not that absurd. Flanking, testing what ammo works, and creating a distraction aren't all outside the realms of believability. You'd think that the Martian could do more, but he really couldn't. He was locked down for most of the fight and had absolutely no way of dealing with long range attacks other than throwing his sword, but who the fuck would throw away their only weapon?

Considering all of that 7/10. Fight scenes are great, music is decent although it might get repetitive, characters are extremely bland.
SheapyJul 26, 2014 4:53 PM
Jul 26, 2014 4:59 PM

Apr 2013
Out of all the characters, I seem to like Slaine the most. Not that it's that impressive as I find the cast of characters quite meh to be honest, but considering the little screen time he gets compared to the others, he at least seems interesting. It's mostly thanks to his voice actor who's given an excellent performance.
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...

Oct 2010
antonn said:
Dat ED is simply orgasmic.

I know right i love the music in this anime. I think this anime and Nobunaga Concert are the best this season. I'm already looking for when the ED releases on cd.

The 2nd half the episode alone made this a 5/5
May 2014
Well that was a good episode, I agree that some tracks are already being overused. Apart from that it was pretty entertaining. I'm interested to see what's going to happen with Slaine and the Princess. 4/5
The anime industry is dead, the otaku fanbase killed it.
Jul 26, 2014 5:43 PM

Feb 2010
Kaioshin_Sama said:
orchidork said:

More like people are just going to be more open to noticing and criticizing the script for it's flaws that have been there since day one now since that guys reputation has to remain absolute perfect for reasons of fanboyism and people needing at least one writer in the industry to worship

You don't need to know that the writer changed to notice that there was a clear change between this episode and last episode.

If someone complains about "flaws" of these new episodes they are clearly not talking about things that were there since the start.
Jul 26, 2014 5:46 PM

Mar 2014
other great episode!! Inoha showing his awesomeness again and looks that
Slaine is gonna join to the war (I saw wtf, but is kinda razonable because he
can't tell to anybody about the princess or they would kill him to keep it as a
secret for the rest of the Vers people and maybe wanna know who were the
ones who tried to kill her)
Jul 26, 2014 5:57 PM

Aug 2008
replay the ED 10000000 times.
Jul 26, 2014 6:07 PM

Jul 2013
Still, these characters just AREN'T convincing me of anything. It was nice to see Calm reasonably pissed off atleast and I hope we get to see his hatred of the Martians put to some use. Everyone save for Slaine seems as cookie cutter as usual.
Slaine is once again intriguing me the most, I really wonder what he plans on doing from here on out, is he gonna take matters into his own hands? Somehow prove that the princess is alive? Or keep fighting for the Martians?

And these villains aren't doing it for me. We get an entire episode dedicated to showing how threatening and powerful these guys supposedly are and now they're a complete joke. I get it if you don't want the main characters dead, fine. But don't bother showing us a scene of Mr. Beam Katana slaughtering a bunch of soldiers if you're just gonna have him bested in 2 minutes by the MC. Honestly, I don't feel the least bit threatened by these guys.
Jul 26, 2014 6:08 PM

Sep 2013
Vanisher said:

You don't need to know that the writer changed to notice that there was a clear change between this episode and last episode.

If someone complains about "flaws" of these new episodes they are clearly not talking about things that were there since the start.

Except that the things people tend to be complaining about this episode have been around since the previous episodes.

Emotionless main character - check
Boring action due to one side being overpowered or just stupid - check
Cliche cartoony villains - check
Nonsensical character traits (Why are these kids better than experienced soldiers?) - check
"War is bad" theme being SHOVED DOWN OUR THROATS - check
Awkward and exposition filled dialogue(Albeit not as bad as the previous episodes) - check

These are things that were around since the very beginning, it's not like they just SUDDENLY appeared. I am just glad people are starting to pick up on them.
Jul 26, 2014 6:08 PM

Dec 2010
Probably the weakest episode so far on terms of character, and plot progression. But it was still an awesome time!

I'm loving the OST still! I also really enjoy the character designs especially Rayet, Asseylum, and Slaine. Slaine looks incredibly unique, and I like that about him!
cyclone1993Jul 26, 2014 6:13 PM
Jul 26, 2014 6:18 PM

Sep 2013
This whole series is like 15 min okay/average and 5 min awesome and 3min for op & ed.

They want to be or surpass Gundam? XD lol, they better be ready to lose 10's of millions of dollars if they want to solidify the franchise until it gets big.
Jul 26, 2014 6:19 PM

Jan 2009
Slaine will go into battle and investigate who wants to kill the princess i bet, and damn Inaho again showing how smart he is in battle
Jul 26, 2014 6:20 PM

Aug 2013
About MC outsmarting martians, I suppose its plausible cause the martians are op as fuck, so they never bothered with tactics and fought like little kids in the first place.

However, it'd be nice if MC showed a little bit of emotion. There's a limit to how emotionless you can get.
If MC was autistic, That could somewhat explain his emotion and genius-ness.
Heck, that'd explain a lot of characters from other series too.

And it would be nice if the adults would have a larger role. But then again, its because they're kids that they have more leisure time to come up with a plan wile the adults are to busy trying to fly the machine or panicking. It was a surprise attack this episode, so its understandable if the first few pilots couldn't think straight.

Jul 26, 2014 6:24 PM

Jan 2011
Slaine sure is in a tough spot interested in how hes gonna find the traitors

and even though i do like the ost a lot i'm starting to notice it being overplayed mainly the one hype battle song hoping it becomes a little more diverse with the following weeks
Jul 26, 2014 6:27 PM

May 2012
ichii_1 said:
This whole series is like 15 min okay/average and 5 min awesome and 3min for op & ed.

They want to be or surpass Gundam? XD lol, they better be ready to lose 10's of millions of dollars if they want to solidify the franchise until it gets big.

I would rather it not get as hyped as gundam. Gundam fanboys gave me cancer
Sword in hand, a warrior clutches stone to breast. In sword etched he his fading memories In stone, his tempered skill By sword attested, by stone revealed. Their tale can now be told
Jul 26, 2014 6:29 PM

Jul 2010
Won't the security leader that suggested the use of a double know that the Princess is alive?
The Orbital Knights having waited 15 years to take Earth! This makes things a lot harder for Slaine!
The Martian Kataprakts! All that combined effort to make it leave.
Can't wait to see how Slaine would help.
Jul 26, 2014 6:31 PM

Sep 2013
Tommk said:

To be honest, nothing should ever be as hyped as Gundam. I mean... Isn't Gundam practically the mascot of Anime in general? For a company to even suggest or imply they are going to surpass Gundam, that is pretty stupid of them. o.O
Jul 26, 2014 6:34 PM

May 2012
Keten said:
Tommk said:

To be honest, nothing should ever be as hyped as Gundam. I mean... Isn't Gundam practically the mascot of Anime in general? For a company to even suggest or imply they are going to surpass Gundam, that is pretty stupid of them. o.O

SAO for next mascot of anime please. Heh

Anyways, Gundam isn't even the best anime evarrr for me. It's just there for its gunpla, mascot, classic old school where people can talk about it saying how they miss the series.

Its overhyped :(
Sword in hand, a warrior clutches stone to breast. In sword etched he his fading memories In stone, his tempered skill By sword attested, by stone revealed. Their tale can now be told
Jul 26, 2014 6:37 PM

Aug 2013
Starting to like this anime more :D
Jul 26, 2014 6:39 PM

Sep 2013
Tommk said:

SAO for next mascot of anime please. Heh

Anyways, Gundam isn't even the best anime evarrr for me. It's just there for its gunpla, mascot, classic old school where people can talk about it saying how they miss the series.

Its overhyped :(

I have not seen many Gundam series. I watched the first series beginning to end, and a couple others but never finished them like a decade ago. The first series is pretty good but it most certainly is not the BEST ANIME EVRR. I cannot speak for the rest of the franchise though. At the very least the first series is undeniably better at telling it's war theme than Aldnoah.Zero is and has far better characterization.
Jul 26, 2014 6:42 PM

Aug 2013
very interesting proposal of the anime, I'm curious about your development
I'm also liking the main character, I like characters with this personality, no one of anything for them, but when they need, they go and do what must be done in incredible way, I think his coldness demonstrates its concentration ..
Jul 26, 2014 6:46 PM

Oct 2010
Kaioshin_Sama said:

Well I mean you can only go to the well so many times before it starts to dry up a little and the water doesn't taste as good anymore. That and his style really has changed a lot for the more simplistic and homogeneous ever since Guilty Crowns soundtrack. I'd like to see what he can do with a full orchestra again like he had with Unicorn and some stuff before that but it doesn't look like he's going back to it and prefers the white noise sound now. It also just has to be a lot easier, quicker and cheaper to produce if he's going to be doing every soundtrack for every show that wants to play itself off as operatic and epic now like it's starting to same. To me it's less an issue of him lacking the talent and ability so much as high demand makes it impossible to put his best into every work. That's why I still really like Yoko Kanno as an example. She's used pretty sparingly as a composer and she brings something a little different to fit the work she's handling every time she gets a contract.

Yeah he's my favorite composer but i guess a lot people dont know his other work. I didnt care for his Kill La Kill one bit AOT was ok. What put me on him was Sengoku Basara and it made me go download every ost he's done. He does change but he got a certain tune he uses a lot thats how i can recognize him. Hell he almost sounds like he did some ost for Nobunaga Concerto. Sawano did some great ost work in that JDrama medical show to. Gundam might been some of his best though.

drama_menck said:
very interesting proposal of the anime, I'm curious about your development
I'm also liking the main character, I like characters with this personality, no one of anything for them, but when they need, they go and do what must be done in incredible way, I think his coldness demonstrates its concentration ..

I agree with you i guess a lot of the new anime generation are use to whiny ass brats. He actually reminds me of Heero from Gundam Wing some. They forget the students are actually trained soldiers unlike that other dumb ass in the other mecha show.
bonifideJul 26, 2014 6:49 PM
Jul 26, 2014 6:58 PM

Sep 2013
bonifide said:

I agree with you i guess a lot of the new anime generation are use to whiny ass brats. He actually reminds me of Heero from Gundam Wing some. They forget the students are actually trained soldiers unlike that other dumb ass in the other mecha show.

You are free to enjoy what you like, but if you want me to justify why I dislike characters like this, it is because they aren't remotely interesting or relatable. Due to having no emotion, he has no room for development, because of that he is stuck as a 1-dimensional character. Wanna know the only way he COULD get development? If something happened to turn him into a "Whiny ass brat" as you put it.

Say what you will, but I will take a relatable flawed human being over a perfect emotionless badass any day of the week.

Flaws make characters good. Emotions make characters good. There isn't even any appeal to him because it's not like he's funny or entertaining in any way. Not to mention how lazy it is to write an emotionless character.

Giving a kid training in a camp does not equal them never having emotions or flaws. People have emotions, that is how the world is. War is a touchy subject, it effects everyone, especially those who go into war. You think soldiers are just emotionless machines who are fearless? Hardly, many never are able to get over what they witness, so having a character so insanely not human be a main character is insulting to the theme of war. (That is why Slaine is far more interesting)
Jul 26, 2014 7:05 PM

Oct 2010
Keten said:
bonifide said:

You are free to enjoy what you like, but if you want me to justify why I dislike characters like this, it is because they aren't remotely interesting or relatable. Due to having no emotion, he has no room for development, because of that he is stuck as a 1-dimensional character. Wanna know the only way he COULD get development? If something happened to turn him into a "Whiny ass brat" as you put it.

Say what you will, but I will take a relatable flawed human being over a perfect emotionless badass any day of the week.

Flaws make characters good. Emotions make characters good. There isn't even any appeal to him because it's not like he's funny or entertaining in any way. Not to mention how lazy it is to write an emotionless character.

Giving a kid training in a camp does not equal them never having emotions or flaws. People have emotions, that is how the world is. War is a touchy subject, it effects everyone, especially those who go into war. You think soldiers are just emotionless machines who are fearless? Hardly, many never are able to get over what they witness, so having a character so insanely not human be a main character is insulting to the theme of war. (That is why Slaine is far more interesting)

I never said anything wrong with Slaine but I am sick of whiny brats in serious type animes. Plus i know wars affect people i guess i shouldnt compare it the other mecha show this season. I assume something happened in his past to make him this we will find out soon. I dont mind if he gets emotional but i like the fact he kill if he has too. I hate soft people in a war type show who ends being the hero in some lucky way. If you aint notice the most merciless tactics usually win wars in the real world.
Jul 26, 2014 7:12 PM

Oct 2007
bonifide said:
Keten said:

I never said anything wrong with Slaine but I am sick of whiny brats in serious type animes. Plus i know wars affect people i guess i shouldnt compare it the other mecha show this season. I assume something happened in his past to make him this we will find out soon. I dont mind if he gets emotional but i like the fact he kill if he has too. I hate soft people in a war type show who ends being the hero in some lucky way. If you aint notice the most merciless tactics usually win wars in the real world.

Your macho image is making me feel rather intimidated right now.
Jul 26, 2014 7:14 PM

Sep 2013
bonifide said:

You are right, much like the hiroshima and nagasaki bombings in japan. Oh that's right, the people who issued those bombings felt sick and suicidal after giving the order to do that. You make it sound like killing people is badass. When a series is trying to take itself seriously with a war theme, they better damn well get the killing aspect right.

Killing changes people, for the worse. Even if the people they kill are horrible, it still effects people. Even if I shot a rapist or murderer, I would still feel terrible, I would still feel sick, possibly even suicidal because that is what killing does to people. War is not some bullshit, "WOAH LOOK AT THIS BADASS GUN IMMA GUN DOWN THESE PEOPLE CUZ THEY SUCK." sure, some people end up that way, but it isn't because they think they are badass, it's because its escapism from what they truly feel inside, a deep hatred of themselves.

The only people who kill and feel nothing are sociopaths. Aka, people who do not act like humans. REGARDLESS of how much experience, training or how old you are, this is the case.

Not to say killing people can't be entertaining to watch in anime, but that is only the case for shows that do not take themselves seriously which this series clearly is trying to do.
Jul 26, 2014 7:15 PM

Sep 2011
the show is interesting enough. I am not so sure how I feel about the main character... He doesn't seem to show any motivation or interest in well, anything... When there's no context to his behavior, not even when his friend is DEAD, it irks me; hopefully we get some context on why he acts the way he does.

Now for the series itself. I am not liking how the adults were almost COMPLETELY useless. I mean, the Mars Knight mowed down like 4-5 machines in a pretty rapid succession, so why is he so slow and easy with these guys? He wasn't even advancing when confronting Inaho's bullet of explosive rains(maybe it is militarily pragmatic, IDK). Also, I like how they added that effect thing to show off Inaho is OH SO SMART... Still not good characterization, but it was interesting to show off there's some science in that.

I hope this show will get somewhere grand and with buildups, and I hope it won't be a disappointment, as it is one of the first REAL mecha series that I have seen.

Seriously, don't let the MC be bland. He might be an intelligent sort of bland, and he maintains an assertive role in the series rather than being dragged along by tons of pretty girls into conflicts, but he is without a doubt, still bland.
GodlyKyonJul 26, 2014 7:19 PM
"Justice Never Dies!" - Kenji Endou, 20th century Boys
Jul 26, 2014 7:19 PM

Apr 2013
Keten said:
Tommk said:

A1.. Were talking about the studio who completely butchered one of the bestmanga out there (Magi).
Jul 26, 2014 7:20 PM

Sep 2011
Sourire said:
Keten said:

A1.. Were talking about the studio who completely butchered one of the best manga out there (Magi).

Did they really? I have been hearing nothing but good things about the Anime(I'm a manga reader) from the internet and some of my associates. They did an okay job on Uchuu Kyoudai.

Keten said:
bonifide said:

You are right, much like the hiroshima and nagasaki bombings in japan. Oh that's right, the people who issued those bombings felt sick and suicidal after giving the order to do that. You make it sound like killing people is badass. When a series is trying to take itself seriously with a war theme, they better damn well get the killing aspect right.

Killing changes people, for the worse. Even if the people they kill are horrible, it still effects people. Even if I shot a rapist or murderer, I would still feel terrible, I would still feel sick, possibly even suicidal because that is what killing does to people. War is not some bullshit, "WOAH LOOK AT THIS BADASS GUN IMMA GUN DOWN THESE PEOPLE CUZ THEY SUCK." sure, some people end up that way, but it isn't because they think they are badass, it's because its escapism from what they truly feel inside, a deep hatred of themselves.

The only people who kill and feel nothing are sociopaths. Aka, people who do not act like humans. REGARDLESS of how much experience, training or how old you are, this is the case.

Not to say killing people can't be entertaining to watch in anime, but that is only the case for shows that do not take themselves seriously which this series clearly is trying to do.

Or that they were sociopathic. I think you're right about variety of things regarding to war, but Inaho here hardly flinched at anything. he either is deeply scarred or he just don't give a damn about people/
Jul 26, 2014 7:24 PM

Sep 2013
GodlyKyon said:

Or that they were sociopathic. I think you're right about variety of things regarding to war, but Inaho here hardly flinched at anything. he either is deeply scarred or he just don't give a damn about people/

That is what I ASSUME they are going for with him. Which would make me less angry at his characterization I guess. Regardless though it still stops him from gaining any sort of development. I would rather see him be scarred and go emotionless by the end of the series rather than right off the bat and I don't see why they couldn't have just done that.
Jul 26, 2014 7:42 PM

Apr 2013
laldonkaments said:
drama_menck said:

I'm also a fan of such characters - if they're adult people with a sufficient amount of life experience.
Giving such features to a teenage soldier-trainee babyface-brat is annoying as hell... (well, a piece of the moon probably fell on his parents and now he's a totally composed mad dog, YO!)

i really hope they explain why he is so calm.
Jul 26, 2014 7:45 PM

Sep 2011
Keten said:
GodlyKyon said:

That is what I ASSUME they are going for with him. Which would make me less angry at his characterization I guess. Regardless though it still stops him from gaining any sort of development. I would rather see him be scarred and go emotionless by the end of the series rather than right off the bat and I don't see why they couldn't have just done that.

Well, the series is nowhere close to finishing, so we'll have to wait until that happens. I am not exactly sure why are people supposedly super impressed with this central character. Sure, he is much better than the beta male protagonists that are so common in ecchi-harem series out there, but the way he behaves is just ... too emotionless. And what's more they haven't really been throwing anything obvious as to why he would act this way(maybe it happened in the first episode with him not waking up his sister or something), like a past ... Or a flashback when something he does reminds him of his childhood.

I guess people just aren't questioning these things. But as of now, he's pretty much a wrench in moving the plot to a certain direction. Not sure why he's outsmarting all the Martians either.

And I'm not even gonna question the setting.

Whatever, at the moment, he's a tool; maybe he will grow into something different though.
Jul 26, 2014 7:48 PM

Feb 2010
Keten said:
Vanisher said:

Except that the things people tend to be complaining about this episode have been around since the previous episodes.

Emotionless main character - check
Boring action due to one side being overpowered or just stupid - check
Cliche cartoony villains - check
Nonsensical character traits (Why are these kids better than experienced soldiers?) - check
"War is bad" theme being SHOVED DOWN OUR THROATS - check
Awkward and exposition filled dialogue(Albeit not as bad as the previous episodes) - check

These are things that were around since the very beginning, it's not like they just SUDDENLY appeared. I am just glad people are starting to pick up on them.

Most people that complain about those things were doing so since episode 1, they don't say that it's because of Urobuchi not writing it anymore.

Oh and "kids being better than experienced soldiers" was plausible up to episode 3, they didn't face the enemy face to face, they beat him with a tactic using information the soldiers didn't get. In this episode Inaho was simply a better pilot than the soldiers.
Jul 26, 2014 7:50 PM

May 2014
I loved this episode and am really enjoying this anime so far. Also, hiroyuki sawano is god....that is all.
Jul 26, 2014 7:54 PM

Dec 2012
GodlyKyon said:
Keten said:

Well, the series is nowhere close to finishing, so we'll have to wait until that happens. I am not exactly sure why are people supposedly super impressed with this central character. Sure, he is much better than the beta male protagonists that are so common in ecchi-harem series out there, but the way he behaves is just ... too emotionless. And what's more they haven't really been throwing anything obvious as to why he would act this way(maybe it happened in the first episode with him not waking up his sister or something), like a past ... Or a flashback when something he does reminds him of his childhood.

I guess people just aren't questioning these things. But as of now, he's pretty much a wrench in moving the plot to a certain direction. Not sure why he's outsmarting all the Martians either.

And I'm not even gonna question the setting.

Whatever, at the moment, he's a tool; maybe he will grow into something different though.

I'm impressed with him because he shows skill at leading battles rather than just at being the biggest baddest dude who is super strong and kills his enemies in a single punch. His character has the potential to serve as a strong and capable lead without needing to devalue the other characters because his methods have so far relied on the capabilities of those other characters, and given the enemies they're facing this will no doubt continue.

And I'm not the least bit surprised he's outsmarting all the Martians. Everything that I've seen in the last four episodes indicates that Martian technology is vastly superior to Earth technology - this combined with the apparent attitude of superiority towards Earthlings leaves me not the least bit surprised that the Martians don't really bother much with tactics. They probably don't believe it necessary.

On the other hand I agree a little - it'd be nice to know more about the main character. It'd be nice to know more about all of the characters.
Jul 26, 2014 7:55 PM

Sep 2011
parfaited said:
Needs less Inaho and more Slaine.

Keten said:
The character dialogue is... awkward sometimes... Like when people are dying because of the new enemy and they are all suddenly happy, "WE'RE FRIENDS I GOT YO BACK :D" ... Dude, there are people dying around you, explosions, terror, I don't think this is the right time to be smiling, just get your head in the game.

Yeah some lines are weird like that one were they were telling the girl that that's why she couldn't get a date.

Slaine and Cruhteo look similar. Watch them be related.

I enjoyed the ED.

Huh... Did Inaho do that to the princess? Because I would dig at a Martian PRINCESS OF AN ENTIRE RACE OF BEINGS who happens to be pretty good looking too.

Those who're questioning why Inaho did not hold the princess hostage: Think about it a bit more. Taking her hostage would antagonize the entire race of Martians EVEN MORE and cause confusion. Inaho already said "humans lack logic" basically, so there was no way he could trust her identity like that with everyone around him(esp when his friends were in a mood to massacre the Martians)

But yeah, Inaho would've served better as not the central character to add a bit of mystery to him...
Pages (10) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Aldnoah.Zero Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 20, 2014

2123 by Softhenic03 »»
Apr 24, 9:01 PM

Poll: » Aldnoah.Zero Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 13, 2014

319 by Softhenic03 »»
Apr 24, 1:22 PM

Poll: » Aldnoah.Zero Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 6, 2014

474 by Softhenic03 »»
Apr 24, 12:50 PM

Poll: » Aldnoah.Zero Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 30, 2014

837 by Softhenic03 »»
Apr 24, 12:04 PM

Poll: » Aldnoah.Zero Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 23, 2014

715 by Softhenic03 »»
Apr 23, 2:10 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.