Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 25, 2014 10:22 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Saburou is so chill in this series. I don't think he can get over what happened last episode easily though. I find the family talk to be kinda interesting.

Welp, looks like an ambush this episode. Saburou and his musket did come in handy though I guess.
Jul 25, 2014 12:48 PM

May 2014
I like how the plot is developing. Certainly not your average Oda Nobunaga storytelling, yet I have one rant about the episode: I haven't seen or heard a single music related scene.
I was thinking-yet, not hoping- that this would focus more on the musical side. In the end, the way it going is pretty good.
Jul 25, 2014 4:03 PM

Nov 2007
There's someone who is like the main guy from present time! He's actually "near" (in terms of relations) him. He is serious and preparing for future battles, but couldn't save him.

There's also some footage of live-action one, which it says it starts airing on August.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Jul 27, 2014 4:03 AM
Aug 2013
LOL that gun scene was so hilarious. I find it amusing how they avoided getting hit by those arrows and Saburou giving 0 f~cks was just too funny to even take seriously.

In my opinion the animu portrayed Saburou really well and especially using the voice acting greatness of based god Miyano Mamoru. I still cant clear Rin's image when I hear Saburou's voice though. Overall, great episode can't wait for the next ep
Jul 27, 2014 4:31 PM

Sep 2011
Kichou ;_______;
Jul 28, 2014 3:04 PM

Nov 2007
Things have gotten serious now. Except the two idiots who's always fighting, ha.

I didn't expect that twist with Saito Dosan. I'm guessing he didn't have a history book or historical knowledge to "live" as someone either. He probably just lived his life, trying to survive the Sengoku Jidai as best as possible and somehow ended up becoming a large historical figure. What a guy.

Miyano Mamoru continues to an excellent job making Saburo into a MC well worth following.
Jul 29, 2014 11:32 PM

Oct 2010
I wonder who else came from the present. I get the feeling if they do a time skip somebody he knows will come.
Jul 30, 2014 12:04 AM

Jan 2014
When Dousan Saitou (Nagai Shin'ichi) wore his policeman uniform, I laughed. So far, it seems like the show'll be more enjoyable than Nobunaga the Fool
Jul 30, 2014 1:42 AM

May 2014
I didn't expect the twist with Dosan. But it makes me question the time travel aspect even more, making me crave for sci-fi rather than a period drama.

A few of the archer scenes were really silly to be dramatic.

Otherwise a half-decent historical drama with some light hearted moments in between for spice and variety, as a good show should have.

4/5 - Well done, still gorgeous. Wish it had more time to build characters so the tragedies have more impact.
Jul 30, 2014 2:29 AM

Apr 2014
What a great episode. So many elements to balance, both light and dark as well as a few twists, and they were done just right.

You'll be missed, Police-jiisan. (´Д` )♡

The head animation is still really weird sometimes, but damn. That husband/wife scene in the end. Just the right choice of body language to break my heart.

CookieBun said:
Miyano Mamoru continues to an excellent job making Saburo into a MC well worth following.
I know, right? Not that it should be a surprise that he's kicking it. Feeling the epic scene.
currycurryJul 30, 2014 2:33 AM
Jul 30, 2014 2:39 AM
Aug 2011
Didn't see that happening either about Dosan being from the future as well.
Had a chuckle when he was there eating across from Saburou both in their modern uniforms.

This is becoming one of favorites of the season. Let's hope it stays that way. Would hate to see this lose steam.
I don't understand how Saburou can be so badass, serious, silly, and nonchalant at the same time.
I would personally declare him one of the manliest, most daring of the season if not for the entire Sengoku Basara cast.
Jul 30, 2014 3:59 AM

Jun 2009
Probably one of the better Sengoku-period-based series I've seen so far. There's enough emotion, as well as the more comical moments, backed up with what seems to be a promising story.

I really liked the emotional hugging scene between Saburo and Kichou. I really did feel for them. :<

I've seen my fair share of anime starring Miyano Mamoru, but this one feels quite refreshing. Most "mainstream" anime have quite exaggerated emotions (which he handles quite fine, if I may say so), but it's nice to hear how much emotion he can put in the "normal conversation" voice. Go, Mamo~

The only thing I can't quite place is whether I find the animation more fluid or jerky... There are times when the movements almost seem life-like, and moments where they seem rather robotic. None the less, I have no objections against this kind of animation.
Jul 30, 2014 5:01 AM

Aug 2013
So wait...when Nagai Shinichi time-slipped thirty years ago and became Saitou Dosan, does that mean he replaced the real Saitou Dosan or Saitou Dosan really is him? If it's the latter then his time-slip actually altered history. Hmm...probably is the latter I mean Yoshitatsu's betrayal was a significant event during the Sengoku period, there's no way he wouldn't have known that unless the history he knew never had the Battle of Nagarekawa.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Jul 30, 2014 5:01 AM

Jan 2011
Looks like the time travel is actually important after all. I think Toukichirou might be from the future too, or at least be related to the time travel in some way.
Jul 30, 2014 5:37 AM

Oct 2009
Kotowari said:
Probably one of the better Sengoku-period-based series I've seen so far. There's enough emotion, as well as the more comical moments, backed up with what seems to be a promising story.

I really liked the emotional hugging scene between Saburo and Kichou. I really did feel for them. :<

totally agree with you, i shed my tear too when Dosan Saito in final moment say "He is truly an idiot"

so far this is most underrated anime in this season
Jul 30, 2014 6:09 AM

Mar 2010
So sad ; . ; But loving the anime so far.
Jul 30, 2014 6:32 AM

Nov 2007
This gets sooo good. I mean,it was good from the start but,you know...

I was like...what is happening???when old gyu suddenly showed up in police uniform:')
Jul 30, 2014 8:20 AM

Jun 2013
Saitou was from the future as well as Saburou. Pretty sad that he died at the end there. Felt pretty bad for Kichou.
Jul 30, 2014 8:25 AM
Jan 2014
Shedding manly tears ; . ;
Jul 30, 2014 10:04 AM

Jul 2010
:(
“Are there some unseen roles that we have unknowingly set ourselves into, dictating the rules of engagement whenever we see each other, inevitably leading to us hurting each other?”
Jul 30, 2014 10:04 AM
Jul 2014
Woah another tearcherk episode ;( it's official now, I'm going to put this series to my favorites! <3
this is getting really exciting now :). I can't wait for the future episodes.

(I was giggling when I saw Dousan sitting across Abusou in his police uniform, though it was confusing for a second xD.)
Jul 30, 2014 10:17 AM

May 2012
I pretty sure that shady guy is also a time slipper that explains my confusion last ep..

Great ep.. when they went to rescue its so badass but it ended so sadly..

Jul 30, 2014 11:11 AM

Aug 2012
So much growth for Saburo, losing people he's become fond of. It felt a little rushed but it still had plenty of impact. His potential is limitless, I can't wait to see him in the battlefield once he's truly grown into the role, like the ED depicts.
Jul 30, 2014 2:00 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Dousan in that police uniform, who would've thought?? Was wondering how Saburo could deal with the "Viper" but that was easier than expected. They were hilarious sitting across each other in their uniforms. Damnnn though, was so sad to see Dousan at the end, saying that the thirty years he's built a life for himself, "This place I have made for myself is no longer mine." That was heartbreaking, and I barely even know this character.

Monkey guy is going to try to kill Saburo next episode! How dare you :(
Jul 30, 2014 3:19 PM

Mar 2009
This is shaping up to being the best anime this season more and more.
Who would've expected there was another one from the future.

I just hope this won't just end up being 1cour. :/ Still no news on episode count?
Jul 30, 2014 3:38 PM

May 2012
I was surprised when the old man wore that police uniform. And I just realized but the narrator is voice by the actor Shun Oguri (which is one of my fave Japanese actor by the way)!!! Hehe. I just realized since the narrator since to have a lot of screentime for this episode.
Jul 30, 2014 3:51 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
So, Dousan is also from the future? Quite unexpected, but liked how he immediately figured that Saburo is from his timeline as well.
He looked pretty cool with the police uniform though!

Damn, I really wished he and Saburo would fight together and crush the traitor son. Too bad, his time was cut short..

Shin'ichi Naigai was his actual name. Even though he's no more, he was definitely an awesome old man for as long as he lived. R.I.P.

Good episode. That shady guy at the end again.. Such an annoying face. -.-

Jul 30, 2014 5:18 PM
Jul 2014
Unexpected twist with Dousan but sad end. RIP. Sad scene near the end with Kichou. Really felt bad for her.
Jul 30, 2014 7:16 PM

Mar 2012
I like how this story is still following the original history of Japan despite the main character being from the future, it's an interesting form of "telling" the history of Japan, makes it even easier to understand which is cool.

Good episode.
Jul 30, 2014 7:21 PM

Jul 2010
Wow just wow. This is too good. The drama is perfect, not exaggerated or something.
Also, he has a gun now, that's a frightful weapon, especially for this period. I expect it to be a key item in the future. A death for episode, this looks scary.

Kichou is absolutely the best girl of the season for me.
Jul 30, 2014 8:35 PM

Jul 2011
If only more time-travelling series had potential like this. :/
And it's even logical enough to have more than 1 time traveller.

I keep confusing that ED, thinking it's sung by One OK Rock. Sounds similar to their style. =.="

Great to see character deaths... waiting for Saburo to go to war and see his leadership and character development.
Jul 31, 2014 12:41 AM

Jun 2009
@Dark_Messiah Awesome signature.

Kichou is adorbs, so sad when her dad died. Maybe it's an odd comment to make on such a sad scene but her VA gives good cry. :(
Jul 31, 2014 1:14 PM

Sep 2011
Man this series is a really pleasent surprise, this episode was pretty damn good and its packing quite a lot of content into single episode without feeling rushed like the first episode felt. Definetly been put way higher on my radar than it was at first.

Mirorin said:

I keep confusing that ED, thinking it's sung by One OK Rock. Sounds similar to their style. =.="
My first story's (the guys who do the ed) lead singer is the brother of taka, the lead singer of one ok rock.
JizzyHitlerJul 31, 2014 1:20 PM

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jul 31, 2014 2:22 PM

Mar 2014
My opinion of this show has greatly improved since the start,
Kichous dad dying was pretty sad
Saburou seems like he's gonna get more serious now,
Looking forwards to watching the rest of this.

BTW: can't wait to see how saburou is going to react when he kills someone for the first time.
zunderdog24Jul 31, 2014 2:26 PM