Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Aldnoah.Zero Season One
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (15) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jul 19, 2014 1:46 PM

Dec 2013
Wow, this episode had an unexpected development, at least to me, good to see that Inaho is not a naive idiot MC, the OST is still great.

The scene at the end confused me, I thought Slaine was a bodyguard of the Princess, but by his shaking at the end show me that he isn't a soldier, in the last episode he had already shown his was "weakness", but I thought he just didn't want to kill humans.
Jul 19, 2014 1:49 PM

Dec 2011
Pretty exciting episode. Nice action. Ost is great. Well, waiting for the next episode.
Jul 19, 2014 1:50 PM

Feb 2010
amginex said:
JoaoZangetsu said:

What, so being a high schooler is a handcap to someone do a reasonable plan ?
Even if they're the FIRST fighting that Martian mecha that survived ?

what youre giving handicap to is someone who has more experience.
I don't remember the second episode much, lackluster and typical. but didn't they have that army guy or whatever he is who keeps blabbering on about how much he knows about the martian tech from his experience fighting them 15 yrs ago? so how does this high schooler figure it out if this other guy has been obsessed with them for the last 15 yrs?
anyway, like I said, I don't remember too much of the details from epi1 and 2, this series wasn't interesting until this epi so my questions are genuine (not trying to be a dick).
I also mentioned earlier, that maybe they'll explain how smart this high schooler is.

The one who was owned in his first try and tryed to rescue then instead of trying to fighting it ? do you really think he has the same decision, and therefore the same atitude as the MC to be a reasonable comparison ? i think not.

also, talking that a "high schooler can't do this, only a expert can do" is a type of argumentum ad verecundiam, therefore is invalid.
TyrelJul 19, 2014 11:36 PM
Jul 19, 2014 1:52 PM
Jul 2018
Wow... the princess is alive... what a shocker....
Jul 19, 2014 1:52 PM
Oct 2010
Kaioshin_Sama said:

The clincher for me is the complete lack of any ranged weaponry which could cover for the ridiculous shortcomings of the force field. Something....anything really. Even if there's some contrivance like it not being able to shoot through the force field it could still just flip it off and plink away. Then again this Trillram guy was pretty damn stupid so perhaps not.

Exactly, with it being so slow why would he rely on melee combat? I thought the same as you, why wouldn't he just carry a weapon, turn off the field and use it if he had to? Which circles right back to my initial point, the mech is 100% impractical at least as an offensive unit. no military in the world would green light this.
Jul 19, 2014 2:01 PM

Aug 2013
This was the episode I was waiting for; can finally like both main characters
Jul 19, 2014 2:02 PM

Apr 2013
Nice episode overall. Inaho is quite the strategist was expecting that though. The Princess is quite interesting. Dat ending.... bam bam dead haha. Looks like the blonde guy will be on Earth side probably. Am I the only one who thinks that the mechas are like playmobil? Also I'm so in love with this opening. Truth is I like kalafina a lot but this song is superb.
A Story will always come to it's end. The thing is, will you move on after it's over?
Jul 19, 2014 2:08 PM

Oct 2013
Dam this episode felt like it was 10 mins long
PIMP mech down get REKT
dam good episode
Love the soundtrack for this anime
[/quote]
Jul 19, 2014 2:16 PM

Apr 2013
Awesome episode! The strategy they used to take down that guy was pretty clever. The scene after the ending was a bit surprising.
Jul 19, 2014 2:17 PM

Mar 2013
I think I came more than a little while watching that episode.
Jul 19, 2014 2:17 PM
Nov 2007
this anime seems good so far, only thing that could ruin it is its size, atleast if they dont make more seasons.
Jul 19, 2014 2:18 PM

Jul 2011

I'm liking this show more and more after each episode.
Jul 19, 2014 2:20 PM
Mar 2011
JoaoZangetsu said:
amginex said:

what youre giving handicap to is someone who has more experience.
I don't remember the second episode much, lackluster and typical. but didn't they have that army guy or whatever he is who keeps blabbering on about how much he knows about the martian tech from his experience fighting them 15 yrs ago? so how does this high schooler figure it out if this other guy has been obsessed with them for the last 15 yrs?
anyway, like I said, I don't remember too much of the details from epi1 and 2, this series wasn't interesting until this epi so my questions are genuine (not trying to be a dick).
I also mentioned earlier, that maybe they'll explain how smart this high schooler is.

The one who was owned in his first try and tryed to rescue then instead of trying to fighting it ? do you really think he has the same decision, and therefore the same atitude as the MC to be a reasonable comparison ? i think not.

also, talking that a "high schooler can't do this, only a expert can do" is a type of argumentum ad verecundiam, therefore is invalid.

youre still overreaching. Even if I agree with your quote, that I didn't even imply, no logic in this world would think a high schooler education is better than someone who has yrs of experience. unless of course that high schooler is a prodigy genius. And as I stated earlier, this is one of the anime logic that anime fans has to accept. youre obviously a true anime fan, just don't get out of touch from reality.
TyrelJul 19, 2014 11:37 PM
"....i am the villain in this story"
May 2014
I feel like this is underrated. (As of now, at least.)

So the princess of Mars is joining in the ground assualt against Martians. xD Makes sense.

Assey/Allusia/whatever we are calling her has some form of magical power. Interesting. I wonder what it's orgins are from? She was really brave.

MC is so different from standard MC's. Like a breath of fresh air.
Aug 2008
Kaioshin_Sama said:

I think the question you should be asking is how is he able to receive data from the flying cameras and communicate with Slaine if the barrier supposedly absorbs all radio waves.

kaoshin, the film already explained that. They have transceiver thats not covered by barrier.
Jul 19, 2014 2:21 PM

Dec 2012
Best anime of the season! The OST alone makes me wanna rate it 10/10 <3
Jul 19, 2014 2:27 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
This was better. I really like when the antagonist/villain has superior weaponry and the protagonist has to work hard for his victory and think things through to come up with a good tactic.

Having said that, I'm still not sure about our high school kid being such an accomplished genius and military tactician. I hope to see some kind of background on him on why he's so badass.

Now that the princess has exposed her identity, this might get interesting.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jul 19, 2014 2:29 PM
Aug 2008
in the next episode, Slain and friends will rise a question "if the barrier absorbs all light, why we can see the robots?"

and Eureka! Slain got new idea on how to attack the robot.
Jul 19, 2014 2:31 PM
Jul 2018
Inaho figured the weakness of the barrier.

Slaine killed Trillram at the end.
Jul 19, 2014 2:32 PM

Dec 2013
This epIsolde was awesome and the OST is great as well. It was really cool seeing Inaho's plan in action and that guy get killed like that. 5/5
Jul 19, 2014 2:34 PM

Feb 2010
amginex said:
JoaoZangetsu said:

youre still overreaching. Even if I agree with your quote, that I didn't even imply, no logic in this world would think a high schooler education is better than someone who has yrs of experience. unless of course that high schooler is a prodigy genius. And as I stated earlier, this is one of the anime logic that anime fans has to accept. youre obviously a true anime fan, just don't get out of touch from reality.

What ? i am what ? i didn't give anything in that matter, and we are in a anime forum, obviously you will encounter anime fans, but i don't think being fan of anything has to do to a flawed argument.
Jul 19, 2014 2:35 PM

Apr 2012
skudoops said:
Exactly, with it being so slow why would he rely on melee combat? I thought the same as you, why wouldn't he just carry a weapon, turn off the field and use it if he had to? Which circles right back to my initial point, the mech is 100% impractical at least as an offensive unit. no military in the world would green light this.

I wouldn't quite say that. Against moving targets it may not be a very effective offensive weapon but against static/fixed positions it would be pretty effective. Granted it would make more sense for it to have range support, which I guess they kinda did by giving him Slaine.

As for turning shields on and off. Depends on how long it would take to bring the shields back up.

Also given how big the thing already is maybe they didn't add any range weapons because of weight.
Jul 19, 2014 2:35 PM
Jun 2014
Each episode is better than the previous. As always, Sawano never dissapoints in his work, that song played during the battle and the ending were fantastic.

By the way, Inaho is a genius.
Jul 19, 2014 2:47 PM
May 2009
This episode was AWESOME! So much better than I expected after that disappointment of a second episode. More character development, brilliant display of tactics vs. brawn, and more plot development. Brilliant!

Kaioshin_Sama said:
Keten said:
Ya, this episode was much better than the last one, might keep watching after all. I still have quite a lot of problems with it though.

At least Inaho seems to have shown some form of emotion, he smiled twice and said he had fear, (Even though saying it doesn't really mean anything when you very clearly don't have any fear that I can see in your face or actions.) Really hope he gets more expressive later on but I do think he is just going to be that boring character who is not very expressive and just does badass things and is super smart because why not. Also, why did he feel the need to explain how he outsmarted the enemy? Just kill the guy already, you don't need to have a speech about it.

Action was better this time around, but honestly to me it made no sense. Does Inaho just take classes in mechanics, military strategy, theoretical physics and mecha piloting? Does everyone? He's in bloody high school for crying out loud. Yet he outsmarts these trained professionals with a strategy he came up with practically alone with minimum resources in the time of like 5 hours? Lmao. At least they showed most of the process though.

Uhh.. no.. You can't just hang out the side of a truck with a heavy weapon and fire it with no backlash... Her extremely thin wrist should be broken, that's a nitpick though. It's not like I expected much realism at this point anyway.

Love how the girl is like "Wow, you care about people? I am totally interested in you." lol, does she never meet anyone who wants to save people that were forgotten?

Villains are still just a bunch of Super-Nazi's except for Slaine.

All in all, it was alright though. This is more like what I was expecting to me honest, it focused more on the characters(even if there was no actual development) and strategy rather than simple and boring one-sided action. Though honestly this was also one sided to a degree because somehow Inaho is this super-genius mecha piloting expert because why not. Music was better placed throughout the episode, thought it was a big messy the previous one. Animation appeared better for the most part, CG is still So-So, but not bad.

2.5/5

Definite improvement though I'm not a fan of the cheesy as all hell dialogue in a setting that is playing itself deathly seriously (maybe I just expect more cause of my experiences with Gundam) and a lot of the characters and mechanics of the show just come off as incredibly stupid and contrived as opposed to Inaho looking super smart. The cast isn't going to be a selling point of this show aside from their designs is the vibe I'm getting as well as that I might want to check my expectations when it comes to the use of tactics and what not to overcome the opponent.

The one thing I definitely just don't get is all the really terrible drawbacks to the Martian mech. Not being able to see and having to rely on auxiliary cameras that apparently are only now mentioned and readily visible to the protagonists using just binoculars as well as having a barrier that literally absorbs everything and a giant glowing weak point kind of gets question marks out of me. I really don't get that design choice, nor do I get why Trillram had to be such a complete idiot of a cheeseball mustache twirling villain that his defeat doesn't even grant much in the way of satisfaction but I suppose I'll role with it for now because despite all of this it's still one of the more interesting shows airing this season.

I agree with the obvious drawback of the floating cameras. I mean, the MC can't have been the ONLY one in the whole world to have noticed that there were suspicious floating objects appearing at the same time as the Martian mechas. You would think that somebody else would have tried to destroy those things...
Jul 19, 2014 2:49 PM

Nov 2012
Princess alive,as if anyone really thought she was dead.

The ending with Slaine seems tryhard,like they were trying to make this dark when it isn't.
Jul 19, 2014 3:08 PM

Jul 2013
Call me a MAL pleb or whatever, but man this show is good.
Plot holes and scientific errors aside, great OST and clean and nice visuals deliver it for me.
And characters going edgy are a nice topping.
Jul 19, 2014 3:13 PM

Apr 2013
Great episode!!! OST was beast.
Kaioshin_Sama said:
MAL is going to lose it's shit over this episode considering how edgy it is and depicts a genius protagonist owning the idiot enemy that the other idiot side couldn't even scratch while loud "epic" Sawano music plays in the background. It's literally everything modern anime fandom loves except just in a mecha package for a change.
I can sense the hatred behind this comment.

May 2014
JoksPacifist said:
And characters going edgy are a nice topping.
It's Urobutcher's way of saying "that was fun, bye".

Jul 2013
That Trillram guy is dead. yaaay.
Good on ya for killing him Slaine!
Goes to show how much he cares about the princess.
This episode was better than the first 2.
Jul 19, 2014 3:18 PM
May 2014
Another week, another song it seems. This week's was no-less pleasant.

Honestly, I was hoping they would knock over Trillram's unit so that he'd fall towards the center of the earth. But they managed to defeat him regardless so I'm not complaining.

Slaine earns a betrayal. -1 point for martians. Looking forward to how his loyalties are affected.
Jul 19, 2014 3:26 PM

Mar 2008
Lelouch-esque strategy.
Jul 19, 2014 3:28 PM

Nov 2013
Great episode!
I was thinking maybe water would be a weakness to that kataphract or something, well it wasn't but they used it so I guess I was close enough :D

Inaho for the fucking win. Slaine was a fucking boss at the after credits scene too.

6/5
Jul 19, 2014 3:28 PM

Apr 2012
sillyanny said:

I agree with the obvious drawback of the floating cameras. I mean, the MC can't have been the ONLY one in the whole world to have noticed that there were suspicious floating objects appearing at the same time as the Martian mechas. You would think that somebody else would have tried to destroy those things...

Depends on how big those cameras are and the color of the background behind them. In the previous episode the few soldiers that did go up against the martian mech had no idea to look for cameras and the sky was dark as opposed to being clear in this episode.

Also it doesn't seem that the students were even aiming at the cameras and were instead just blanketing the general area. Now there is a scene where the audience is shown the cameras and then it cuts to the MC looking though binoculars. However, it is unclear if he is looking at the cameras or the mech. So for all we know they probably didn't even see the cameras in the first place

However I do agree that not having any back up cameras on the mech is a bit of design flaw especially if they just get taken out by stray fire. In fact I thought that the lights on the head were cameras. Though if they were cameras it begs to question why he didn't them into he tunnel.
ZetatrainJul 19, 2014 3:34 PM
Jul 19, 2014 3:30 PM

Dec 2010
Awesome episode! We get a great soundtrack, and then we get Inaho proving himself to be a capable leader, who isn't afraid to fight back, in one episode? HECK YES! Plus Asseylum returned to her original form, and Slaine murdered his boss in cold blood. Definitely a great episode.

Best show of the season for me, easily.
Jul 19, 2014 3:34 PM

Sep 2012
Great episode! I like the fact that the MC is actually smart and the scene after the ending was surprising, didn't think that slaine was going to kill him but he got what he deserved.
Jul 19, 2014 3:39 PM

Jan 2013
Hoppy said:
The battle music is awesome as for those pesky barriers those Martian's units have they just take quite a beating but they break all the same with some good old human ingenuity. Trilliam got what he deserved at the end.

Thanks for pointing this out, I had to go back and watch after credits because I missed it.
Jul 19, 2014 3:40 PM

Nov 2011
holy shit that was awesome!
Hate Keeps me warm
Jul 19, 2014 3:40 PM

Sep 2013
What a badass episode. Hugely exceeded my expectations based on the previous eps.

Also, the music in this series is superb.
Jul 19, 2014 3:49 PM

Jul 2010
I really like this MC, smart and very well knows this is a war (kill or be killed).
Jul 19, 2014 3:49 PM

Jul 2012
Sweet, so they finally took down that big purple bastard of a robot. :P
That was an epic way to take down the mecha, and it was only....3 Training bots that took it down? o-o Nice! x3

Oh! Princess Asseylum is still alive~! :D Yay~! x3 The way she transformed was pretty cool though, LOL! X3

AND......Slaine has murdered Saazbaum.....woot. XD
Jul 19, 2014 3:53 PM
Dec 2013
Cannot wait for OST to come out, will collect all of em.
Jul 19, 2014 4:00 PM
Jun 2010
That ruthlessness,sign of the times. There will be no prisoners during the coming World War 3.
Jul 19, 2014 4:06 PM
Dec 2013
ex_necross said:
Fai said:
Meh, I expected bigger death count. Will give more episodes for shit to hit the fan.

Don't expect it. Butcher only did the first 3 episodes.
Lmao is this a Gargantia joke or are you actually serious?
Jul 19, 2014 4:09 PM
Apr 2013
The cameras could have been a tad more subtle i must say. I am curious if all Mechs use the same technology or not though
Jul 19, 2014 4:10 PM

Feb 2008
did anyone actually expect her to be dead?

we finally have a protagonist who is rational and quick thinking.
Jul 19, 2014 4:12 PM

Nov 2013
kisami said:
did anyone actually expect her to be dead?
The show told us she's alive in episode 2 <_<
Jul 19, 2014 4:14 PM

May 2012
ScazoN said:
ex_necross said:

Don't expect it. Butcher only did the first 3 episodes.

It's real, it will be the FMA , Ga Rei Zero, Ef- A tale of melodies/Memories scripwriter turn :)

Looking forward to it.
Sword in hand, a warrior clutches stone to breast. In sword etched he his fading memories In stone, his tempered skill By sword attested, by stone revealed. Their tale can now be told
Jul 19, 2014 4:29 PM

May 2013
Well that episode knocked it out of the park didn't it? What a great display of actual ingenuity during a battle. Sure using your opponent's advantages against them isn't exactly ground breaking, but I love the effort they put in to show just how the weaknesses were discovered, and how they managed to exploit them -- all while developing our characters simultaneously.

Also, warming to the MC a lot more now that he's showing some actual personality. In fact, the entire cast I've warmed to significantly, this episode did a lot to show us just what they're all made of and how they react to a crisis. It's not Shakespeare, but it's solid stuff.

Villains are still pretty Snidely Whiplash, but I'll hold out hopes we'll be seeing some different dimensions to them. For now.

Also, mad props to Slaine for taking out our mustache twirling idiot villain when the truth is revealed to him -- I'm looking forward to him joining White Base our rag tag group and watching the dynamics unfold.
Jul 19, 2014 4:36 PM

Mar 2014
Inaho and Slaine surprised me in this episode!! Now want to know what will happen
to Slaine (have face to stay in the bad boys side), btw I love the ED~~
Jul 19, 2014 4:42 PM

Mar 2013
Tommk said:
ScazoN said:

It's real, it will be the FMA , Ga Rei Zero, Ef- A tale of melodies/Memories scripwriter turn :)

Looking forward to it.

Don't forget he wrote Boku no Pico too.
Pages (15) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Aldnoah.Zero Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 20, 2014

2123 by Softhenic03 »»
Apr 24, 9:01 PM

Poll: » Aldnoah.Zero Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 13, 2014

319 by Softhenic03 »»
Apr 24, 1:22 PM

Poll: » Aldnoah.Zero Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 6, 2014

474 by Softhenic03 »»
Apr 24, 12:50 PM

Poll: » Aldnoah.Zero Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 30, 2014

837 by Softhenic03 »»
Apr 24, 12:04 PM

Poll: » Aldnoah.Zero Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 23, 2014

715 by Softhenic03 »»
Apr 23, 2:10 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.