Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 13, 2014 1:53 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I thoguht the match itself was okay but damn, Eiirchou needs to calm down. Still I thought overall the episode was fine with Hiroshi. He's learned quite a bit by this point.

I liked how the episode focuses each of his opponents a bit though with some flashbacks.

Jul 13, 2014 4:09 AM

Jul 2010
Takuma willing to tell Araya's weaknesses for a easier match for him.
Araya switching gears and bringing the game back to himself. Those counters and that power with speed!
Araya not going to become pro if he doesn't beat Takuma. Always being after Takuma in a tournament.
Countering a counter!
Jul 13, 2014 5:39 AM

Aug 2010
That was pretty nice :D

Really love hearing Eichiro's monologue and how he deals with each problem step by step. His growth is really amazing me ^^ Bravo.

Lol'd at the underhand serve XD
Jul 13, 2014 5:43 AM
Jan 2014
I thought Eiichirou was going to take the first set, his first game was very good.
Though not all hope is lost for him, that first set was about learning Araya's habits.
Now he's finally putting that knowledge into effect. I wonder how the match will progress onward.
Jul 13, 2014 6:10 AM

Mar 2008
It's a shame that the animators seem to be struggling a little.
Jul 13, 2014 6:23 AM

Nov 2013
Ckan said:

Think the show has a really terrible budget, don't think they have the time for high quality and precision.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Jul 13, 2014 6:35 AM

Aug 2013
I laughed a bit when Ei-chan was intentionally delaying the game by "adjusting" his strings. For someone who's so focused and eager to start the match, it must have really ticked off Araya XD
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Jul 13, 2014 8:35 AM

May 2012
Love Eichan's monologue about countering Araya. And I love to see Araya's pissed off face. Haha.
Jul 13, 2014 10:25 AM

Dec 2011
So Ei-chan is trying to make Araya lose his temper and make mistakes huh.

Araya looks really pissed lol.

Meh, Ei-chan is getting his ass kicked...

I hope he can win and face Takuma in the final.
"Let justice be done, though the heavens fall."
Jul 13, 2014 12:51 PM
Jul 2018
Takuma decided to tell Araya's weaknesses to Eichiro.

Araya is owning Eichiro so badly.
Jul 13, 2014 3:15 PM

Jul 2011
Vexper said:
Ckan said:

Think the show has a really terrible budget, don't think they have the time for high quality and precision.

Hope they're saving it for something HQ later on!

Great episode. Araya is dominating him for sure. If it had been a one-set match Ei-chan would have lost easily, but a 3-set match gives him some chances!
I want to see Maruo win this one!
Jul 13, 2014 3:53 PM
May 2014
I lost respect for Maruo with that under hand serve.
Jul 13, 2014 4:04 PM
Jul 2013
That underhand serve though

Araya kun is pissed off asf.

Let's see if Maruo can winn thisss
Jul 13, 2014 5:02 PM

Apr 2014
Duuuuuude. This is Baby Steps at its best. This is where it kicks another gear.

Natsu and friend being pals~ <3

Doublea said:
Lol what? Was the underhand serve too 'underhanded' for you? Σ (੭ु ຶਊ ຶ)੭ु⁾⁾ i'm sorry
Jul 13, 2014 6:12 PM

Jul 2013
cmon marou, lose already

i really hate this show's attempts at being realistic
lol
Jul 13, 2014 6:34 PM
May 2014
currycurry said:

Doublea said:
Lol what? Was the underhand serve too 'underhanded' for you? Σ (੭ु ຶਊ ຶ)੭ु⁾⁾ i'm sorry

It's just a d-bag thing to do in tennis and I've always hated when opponents I'm playing do it. It's like they are taunting you or don't think you're that good. Makes them kind of seem like they are full of themselves and don't respect you as a player.
Jul 13, 2014 11:19 PM

Oct 2013
Doublea said:

Say that to Michael Chang
Jul 14, 2014 12:06 AM
May 2014
Kitoge said:
Doublea said:

Just watched it, lost some respect for him.

I would never do it myself, just unsportsman like for me.
Jul 14, 2014 12:22 AM

Oct 2013
Doublea said:
Kitoge said:

Haha yeah. It's not the most sportsmanlike thing that one can do in tennis; although, underhand serves aren't considered that bad by most people after Michael Chang popularized it. Don't look at it too badly. Just think of it as an alternative to overhead serves. Beginners who can't do overhead serves use underhand serves hehe :p
Jul 14, 2014 12:38 AM
May 2014
Kitoge said:
Doublea said:

Haha yeah. It's not the most sportsmanlike thing that one can do in tennis; although, underhand serves aren't considered that bad by most people after Michael Chang popularized it. Don't look at it too badly. Just think of it as an alternative to overhead serves. Beginners who can't do overhead serves use underhand serves hehe :p

Yeah it's perfectly legal, it just has that stigma about it. I just find it offensive to me when people use the shot, so I guess its working. I was in this one match where I was close to winning and the kid out of desperation used it. Of course I tried hitting the return even harder cause it annoyed me. He won the point once I hit it long. Though he used his normal serve after that and I broke him. So I dunno, I just don't like it. :P
Jul 14, 2014 6:35 AM

Jul 2010
Doublea said:
Kitoge said:

Really? I think it's pretty legit, and even more when who uses it is a lot weaker than his opponent, and in this case for Maruo-kun this was his best option if he wanted to score as many points as he can. I mean, it makes sense for his style, he doesn't have much power, he needs to resort to these tactical moves.
Jul 14, 2014 4:58 PM
May 2014
Akanezora said:
Doublea said:

Really? I think it's pretty legit, and even more when who uses it is a lot weaker than his opponent, and in this case for Maruo-kun this was his best option if he wanted to score as many points as he can. I mean, it makes sense for his style, he doesn't have much power, he needs to resort to these tactical moves.

If you don't do it good enough against a better player they'll just cream you with the return, I guess that's why he's only used it once. It's just my personal opinion and I'd never do it.
Jul 16, 2014 11:54 AM
Dec 2011
If Maruo's balls were any bigger, he'd need a wheelbarrow.
Jul 17, 2014 8:08 PM

Jan 2013
Eiichirou developing his change of pace style.
Jul 19, 2014 2:20 AM

Nov 2010
Haha, Ei chan made a Michael chang move, sadly Takuma's advice only worked for the first game of the match against Araya
He can still beat him now with one set behind, since Araya is so predictable with his moves
Jul 20, 2014 10:44 PM

Aug 2009
Barion-Zara said:
That was pretty nice :D

Really love hearing Eichiro's monologue and how he deals with each problem step by step. His growth is really amazing me ^^ Bravo.

I was just about to say something similar to this. I concur.
Good episode! I enjoy watching Ei-chan improve during the match. Makes it more fun to watch.

Oct 28, 2014 1:19 PM

Sep 2011
That underhand serve killed me. That was pure genius.
Feb 6, 2015 3:25 PM

Jun 2014
I can only do the underhanded serve in tennis ...

Anyways Ei-chan just figuring out what to do next is just so interesting to watch while I eat.

Mar 7, 2015 2:55 PM

Oct 2014
Damn Araya needs to lay of the testosterone..
Maruo was sugoi this episode, as analytical as always. But I'm pretty sure has something else up his sleeve :)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 26, 2016 6:26 PM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
Maruo going for that underhanded serve xD
Many people hate it just as goalies hate the panenkas.

Araya's tennis while it is predictable, Maruo still has no answer to it. But I'm sure he'll gain momentum once he starts getting rolling again.

Mar 1, 2016 7:57 PM

Aug 2013
Wow that underhand serve was nice.
Ei-chan finally starting to look good on court.
Jan 12, 2018 7:25 PM

Jun 2016
Oh, the trouble of playing a loud, arrogant momentum player. I love Araya and seeing little Araya and Takuma in his flashback was adorable. This match is incredible! Alike all the last this one is as insightful as ever.

To beat a momentum player you should
1. attack their start before they've sped up.
2. wear them out and be patient, especially after points.
3. hit shots made to stop momentum and win the endurance match with their options in mind.
4. accept losing points sometimes, it'll happen against this kind of person and when it does it'll be fast.
5. keep the tempo down but throw in surprises to catch them off guard.
6. build up enough of an advantage that you can keep up after losing to their momentum.

But to switch up this game plan, intentional or not, Araya shows off his better mentality by disrupting the match and maintaining his pure concentration, a really admirable skill to have.

So now Maruo has to zone in on what he can compete with by studying the likes of Takuya and observing his opponent while he's losing to pick up on any habits at all and the unorthodox play of Iwasa to prevent Araya from dictating the flow of the match and building momentum. Of course someone like Araya will challenge you rather than change up his game plan while he's being predicted.

The matches in Baby Steps are the best and would honestly rank as some of my favorite shounen battles despite being a sport.

Nat is adorable.
Mar 5, 2019 8:00 PM
Apr 2016
The match is really intense, ultimately Ei-chan is battling him with technique, raw power vs. technique... good episode.
Jul 27, 2019 3:37 PM

Jul 2016
Great stuff. Favorite episode in the series so far! The string adjustment and Araya losing his shit was hilarious.
Nov 23, 2020 6:27 PM

Jul 2017
I like the little bit of cheeky tactics that Maruo implemented to try and throw off Araya's rhythm like the god forbid 'underhanded serve', and time-wasting. He ain't winning fair play awards for that but still, tactically worked early on in getting some points off and even taking a game in the first set. But Araya's too powerful and motivated to be really held back by all of that, forcing his own motivation and hype too when Maruo was all over him at the start. Pretty good match overall so far, excited for the next episode (did wish it looked better though).
Mar 22, 2022 11:10 AM

Jul 2021
I like how they're giving some flashbacks to the side characters to not make them so vague around and damn the match was as intense as ever and Ei-chan is just too good.
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Jul 12, 2022 6:06 AM

Sep 2018
The lack of sportsmanship was kind of funny and I didn't expect the underarm serve to make an appearance lol

Funny how we never saw MC practice his volleys and slice at all throughout these fifteen episodes, and yet I'm supposed to believe that's a competent and confident forecourt player as well? Press X to doubt.

Araya is a left handed player as well, surprised they didn't say anything about it and how advantageous it usually is in tennis. Thank god MC has a double hander or else he'd struggling with those CC forehands even more so lol....

Still though, the actual tennis animation is atrocious to watch.
May 17, 2023 11:21 AM
May 2020
It is great to see him grow as he plays.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 6, 2014

143 by JeremiahOrange »»
Oct 5, 2023 6:50 AM

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 21, 2014

93 by 1Konochi »»
Jun 14, 2023 5:49 PM

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 14, 2014

55 by 1Konochi »»
Jun 14, 2023 2:40 PM

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 7, 2014

54 by 1Konochi »»
Jun 5, 2023 12:04 PM

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 24, 2014

52 by 1Konochi »»
May 27, 2023 10:16 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.