Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jul 4, 2014 7:00 AM

Dec 2010
bastek66 said:
DarkDooM2 said:
This would've been better if it didn't try to take itself so seriously.

The relationships in this series are, again, blatantly obvious. The reason why titty-monster joined the JNR is also obviously the MC. Then there's the bitchy tsundere-typish character that just so happens to be a karate master, or something like that.
+ the macho sidekick

Cliche much?

SO FUCKING WHAT?
Execution is more important than clichés.

Are you implying it was executed well?
Jul 4, 2014 7:02 AM

May 2013
All I can say is, that chick's got a rack there.
Jul 4, 2014 7:17 AM

May 2013
For some reason, I don't like the big boobed one.

Sakurai, on the other hand...Is she the main female lead, or is it the other one?
Jul 4, 2014 7:28 AM

Apr 2009
The episode was meandering around, wasted a decent premise with tired characters and was overall not really fun.Dropped for now, hopefully it gets better later.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Jul 4, 2014 7:30 AM

Mar 2012
Very interesting premise and setting.

Very shit cast and it's all over the place. Bad information dumps and just a...

Honestly though, it could've been great if it wasn't for the crappy LN + highschool thing. Ugh.
Jul 4, 2014 7:31 AM

Jul 2010
That was enjoyable.
Sakurai wants to shoot the molesters, can't believe she actually said it out loud!
Wasn't expecting an action scene, that rotating kick!
Jul 4, 2014 7:54 AM

Sep 2010
I liked it enough to watch next episode. Although there was nothing great about it , I never watched anime about trains. I do use them from time to time so it will give me a new view on it.
Jul 4, 2014 8:04 AM

Jun 2013
Very enjoyable first episode, this looks like its going to be a pretty funny show.

Douglas24Jul 4, 2014 8:17 AM
Jul 4, 2014 8:11 AM
Dec 2013
bastek66 said:
Action scenes are fine too
Sakurai my favorite.

This episode was alright, never seen one about trains so yeah
Sakurai already is my favorite and seems to be a tsundere to MC.
I want romance for Sakurai and MC.
UchihaJul 4, 2014 8:16 AM
Jul 4, 2014 8:48 AM

May 2013
I enjoyed this first episode. Looking forward to the next one.
Jul 4, 2014 9:08 AM

May 2014
Overall meh, needs more camp and ridiculousness. It's just weird it being so serious yet doesn't shy away from exaggeration silly overblown action and fanservice. I don't think it will make up its mind.

Call me back for the beach episode when I can finally call this a trainwreck.
Jul 4, 2014 9:10 AM

Jul 2013
Could've been better, but it could've been worse. I enjoyed it. I'll probably stick around for the girls and fanservice. Will keep watching for now.
Jul 4, 2014 9:15 AM

Jan 2009
Don't like the music in the 1st half… it's too enthusiastic

dropped.
俺の命を百合に。
Currently translating Sono Hanabira ni Kuchizuke o - Atelier no Koibito-tachi -- when bored.
Above visual novel is 22.22% translated with progress uploaded to youtube; if you're into yuri VNs, check out my channel.
Jul 4, 2014 9:23 AM
Aug 2011
I don't even know if I can keep watching this.

This anime made me realize that I just don't give a rat's ass about train jargon because all that train talk was really boring to me.

The trains are what's making this show different and that's maybe worth watching but I can see myself not paying attention.

It actually didn't have as much fanservice as that running gif made you believe but the fanservice it might have later seems like it will be all kinds of stupid.
Like "I tripped and your boobs broke my fall and i'm only squeezing one because i'm holding on for dear life!".

Dilemma.
Jul 4, 2014 9:29 AM

Sep 2012
i think it was kinda rushed this 1st episode...it didn't explain how they became so close to each other...only the MC narrates it until the one month class is over...

but even so, it was good...the action scenes, the characters, and the OP and ED themes..i think i'm gonna stick to this show for a little while...

xD
Jul 4, 2014 9:33 AM

Jan 2014
Sorta interesting. Also is it my idea or this is the same studio that made Seikon no Qwasar? Cuz the colouration seems to be the same as in there.

Anyway, series is interesting. So I take it that everybody excels at something in particular and male lead is just average in all?

Those boob-shots there are really far more scandalous than they should have been imo. Not that I'm fully against it, but still exagerated.

On a side note. Satoshi Hino...........what have you done to me!? I swear I cannot listen to you without remembering Vector D:
Jul 4, 2014 9:39 AM

Jul 2012
At first I thought I missed an episode with how everything was kind of thrown at us.
It just seemed all over the place and I couldn't really get into it mainly because of the characters and how they interact its just weird.
Jul 4, 2014 9:51 AM

Oct 2008
Boobz are everywhere!

Jul 4, 2014 10:03 AM

Apr 2010
Not bad, seemed a bit rushed though. Dat ED though.
Jul 4, 2014 10:14 AM
Jul 2018
It was a good episode.

Takayama is working as a Japanese National Railways and assigned as Railways Security Squad.
Jul 4, 2014 10:42 AM

Dec 2012
Boobies!

I guess learning more about trains isn't that bad. Good action scene.

Sakurai really knows how to use a gun.

I guess Koumi and Takayama know/met each other in the past because Koumi said he saved him again(or did I just miss something?).
Jul 4, 2014 10:49 AM

May 2009
Hmm, gonna have to tone down my expectations for future episodes. I was kind of expecting more...I don't know how to say it. Comedy action based on complex train knowledge?

Gonna keep watching though because I like the characters (I've always liked these kinds of cliche character setups) and the concept.

As other people have said, this anime would've been amazing if it was more campy, took itself less seriously, and pulled off more over-the-top stuff.
Jul 4, 2014 11:04 AM
Oct 2012
xchee said:
The train stuff kind of overwhelmed me a bit. I wasn't really getting any of it lol. Are the models they talked about real or did they just make it up? Also, coal trains need 400 kg of coal for 1 km? If that's true then woah. Worthless info but cool to know.

Seems about true. Of course it depends on the type of steam locomotive, but the Union Pacific Big Boys built in the mid 40's and one would imagine pretty efficient compared to trains 30-40 years older, burnt about 220KG of coal per KM. The trains carried 28 tons of coal.

http://www.steamlocomotive.com/bigboy/?page=up

Okay episode, I am passing on the fanservice assuming that they thought they needed it to get through the boring exposition, hope for less of it (or at least less stereotyped examples of it) in the future.
Jul 4, 2014 11:22 AM
Jul 2018
YESSS!!! I love it, It has the right amount of balance.

PS. I like trains,
Jul 4, 2014 11:29 AM

Mar 2013
The plot bounces a lot.

If you know what I mean.
Jul 4, 2014 11:32 AM

Jun 2014
This was surprisingly fun to watch. I had very low expectations though, so I'll see what happens in the next episode.
Jul 4, 2014 11:35 AM

Jun 2012
I was abit taken back with the whole train plot , but this is actually pretty good (fanservice is okay since it's not too much lol)
Jul 4, 2014 11:36 AM
Aug 2011
I Enjoyed this episode.
Jul 4, 2014 11:53 AM

Mar 2012
At the start it seemed like the series could have had a lot going for it but towards the end, the dramas the characters faced and the formula became generic but it wasn't so much a problem, more noticeable if anything. The pacing was a bit off because they could have featured more on the month of training.

The characters are pretty standard but it was different seeing them all speak confidently toward one another and become a friend group immediately rather than the characters pussyfoot around each other. Not sure how I felt about it.

I was expecting something like the opening song and it was decent but the ending was definitely better and I didn't expect it to be like that.

I'll keep watching as long as the fanservice doesn't increase and there's no more goddamn falling scenes where characters end up on top of each other in ways that aren't possible.

Textless endcard
YukonJul 4, 2014 12:02 PM
Jul 4, 2014 12:05 PM

Sep 2013
Interesting anime, but that red-head chick really pissed me off...
And awesome ending song ^^
Jul 4, 2014 12:20 PM

Jul 2013
Trains are cool, the anime.
I wonder if theres is and what will play the role of evil, rather than sporadical criminals.
Jul 4, 2014 12:48 PM
Feb 2014
Meh... didnt expect much, but I did hope it would take itself more seriously...

I dont like the main characters... yet? MC was wimpy, red headed girl is weirdly strong and aggressive, big boobs girl is pathetic, and yellow jacket guy is stupid... They rushed the training part so I dont even feel attahed to any of them, or understand why they're friends... well, I'm assuming they'll develop much more later but this first episode didt leave a good impression on me...

Storyline was a bit weird too... why r the trainees chasing a couple of snatch thieves, and y couldnt they notify the other station abt the theft instead of going there themselves...

Oh yes, i literally face-palmed several times at the fanservice moments... i even had to pause the video for a while and contemplate dropping the series at that scene where big boobs girl fell on the MC and landed in that position -_-

That aside, the action scenes were pretty nice. A bt incredulous, but the showdown with the thieves was pretty... also, ED looked cool, but not a fan of the music.

It's just the first episode, so I'm giving this a chance... surely the story cant be that bad later? The LNs r already at vol 8 so here must be some substance. So I'll continue watching keeping that in mind. I guess the opening is basically introducig the characters and settings anyway. Things mayimprove when the story picks up in later episodes?
The most annoying thing about some anime is that they don't know when they've died...
Jul 4, 2014 12:52 PM
Feb 2013
Yaaaaay, trains, boobs and dramatic hard life lessons how to fuel the steam engine... just no.
kcuf
Jul 4, 2014 1:26 PM

Mar 2008
Did anyone notice how they used the old method with pliers at ticket gates. Also all the rolling stock in the show are kinda old.

But still the Shinkansen Relay to Omiya was quite accurate representation of the real thing (the real one ran between 1982 and 1985)

*Edit: typoes

"Time is liquid. One moment is no more important than any other and all moments quickly run away."
Jul 4, 2014 1:31 PM

Apr 2014
I was expecting this to be awful but actually it was pretty good. Dem trains are so cool.
Jul 4, 2014 1:33 PM

Oct 2013
Not too bad. I'm hoping this will be decent
Jul 4, 2014 1:45 PM

May 2009
I don't know how may episodes I can tolerate with this kind of fanservice. [puke] And she was happy being touched.. so desperate. pfft.
And what's with those anti-gravity jumps? -.-'

The story as such seems eventful. Pretty rushed for a start though... they wanted to throw in the viewer's face everything on offer. pfft. Let's see how rough this gets... considering knife was in the first ep. Bloody mess would be interesting. O.o

But bloody mess and saggy-jiggling boobs? Gross. Ugh. Gew. I want to cut them off and puncture them and throw them to sharks. The hell.
_____ _ _ ______

Within pain, there is desire.

_____ _ _ ______
Jul 4, 2014 2:17 PM

Apr 2012
a modern train anime. unique
Jul 4, 2014 2:24 PM

Jul 2010
Was boring and rushed. Hate almost all characters and the fanservice was too much. Dropped.
Hyuga Junpei: “Yeah… I’m confident… Because my teammates will help me out! I can shoot confidently.. because it will be okay even if I miss!”

Kagami Taiga: “I don’t know about being the bad guy or whatever. It’s only in stories where titles like that decide the loser. This is our show. We’re the ones who are writing the script.”
Jul 4, 2014 2:37 PM

Nov 2013
Holy Crap this was...ugh...

Forgettable cast with boring archetypes (Regular MC with sworn duty, Tough girl that's good at everything, Miss fanservice, and bumbling guy friend), I don't have a problem with fanservice but this was just plain forced at times (I.e. that dog rescuing when he fell on top of Miss Fanservice conveniently), general stupidity (Why not contact the other station about the robbers and intercept them? Miss Fanservice is apologizing for falling and saying 'you saved me' though the fall from that height wouldn't be harmful at all).

The only merits about this I can find are the decently animated fight scene, somewhat educational about trains kind of reminds me of Upotte, and the ED theme. I had to pause at times just for a moment of clarity from this disaster. Sure a train anime (aside from the chikan hentai anime) is something different but that doesn't balance out.

2/5 Not sure if I'll watch the next episode
LoL summoner name: Dongblaster
Steam: We're Andr Attack
3DS FC 5472-7177-5620
Please PM me before adding any of these
Jul 4, 2014 2:40 PM

Jul 2010
By ignoring that unnecessary fanservice and not-so good characters, i was able to mostly enjoy it.I found it fun + i love trains.Also, great OP and ED.
Will probably watch more.
incompleteAEGISJul 4, 2014 2:46 PM
Jul 4, 2014 2:43 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Wow, that was a lot worse than I hoped it would be. I was really looking forward to this, but things like the random boobs physics threw me off. Otherwise, the animation seems solid and the fighting was surprisingly well animated, I think. I guess we're gonna get more of that.

I like trains.

|:

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jul 4, 2014 3:30 PM

Sep 2012
"O mer gawd! Bewbies EWWW! DROPPED!"

Geez everyone is so hard to please. If you automatically judge a show because of a small bit of fan service, I almost always assume you're a sexually repressed loser. I mean seriously... it's fine for someone to dislike fan service, but when it dictates your taste for entertainment, unless you're a raging homosexual, I can't come up with any other reason why anyone would do that.

Anyhow, the episode wasn't phenomenal, or that serious either(not that I expected it to be), but it was pretty cool.
IronLobsterJul 4, 2014 3:37 PM
"whats so special about bonzai trees?"
"They are the loli of the tree world."

Inganock of the Brightest Flame
Jul 4, 2014 3:33 PM

Dec 2009
AMAZING

That is all
I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

Jul 4, 2014 3:51 PM
Nov 2013
It was decent, I'll watch it for a few episodes mainly because this a really unique premise and I really want to see where the plot goes. *cough cough boobs cough cough*
Jul 4, 2014 3:51 PM
Mar 2013
Yeah, i dislike 2 out the 4 MC's. Takayama, weak-ass, scaredy-cat dude. And Sakurai who just plain annoying with her complaining and punching. I really hope that they will be some character development.

This seasons anime look really weak. Just watching Free! Eternal Summer, Glasslip, Rail Wars, SAO 2, Rokujouma no Shinryakusha!? Majimoji Rurumo, Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun, Akame ga Kill! Ao Haru Ride. And not one of them except Akame ga Kill whose manga is amazing and SAO 2 look good. I'm reading Ao Haru Ride manga. Not my favorite.
Jul 4, 2014 4:09 PM

Mar 2013
Every girl(s) with freakishly large chests bouncing around everywhere like the don't have bras...
They both fell backwards, how the crap did he end on top of her? I seriously don't get that...
Too many shounen cliches and fan service... I'll probably watch one more episode then drop it.
Though, the trains plot is cool. Hopefully they expand more on that instead of fan service.
Jul 4, 2014 4:24 PM

Jul 2012
Cool show. It's interesting even with the unnecessary fanservice. So far it's above my least favourite which is that weird mecha I saw yesterday.

Senninn1 said:
This seasons anime look really weak. Just watching Free! Eternal Summer, Glasslip, Rail Wars, SAO 2, Rokujouma no Shinryakusha!? Majimoji Rurumo, Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun, Akame ga Kill! Ao Haru Ride. And not one of them except Akame ga Kill whose manga is amazing and SAO 2 look good. I'm reading Ao Haru Ride manga. Not my favorite.

Oh there we go. Every season, someone's gonna say it's a weak season which makes me laugh.

Anyway, you're not even watching the better series though. o_o
Jul 4, 2014 4:27 PM
Jul 2013
It was okay, action scenes were good, and the animation/art seems very well done.
Jul 4, 2014 4:28 PM

Dec 2013
Ok, not the best of the season, but managed to keep me entertained throughout the episode, so I'll keep watching and see where it goes.

I imagine something like a terrorist attack and such for future episodes.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Rail Wars! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2014

181 by KanthorFehga »»
Jan 30, 2023 9:10 AM

Poll: » Rail Wars! Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 11, 2014

75 by 424jersey106 »»
Aug 13, 2022 12:56 AM

Poll: » Rail Wars! Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 14, 2014

99 by Raizel »»
Jan 1, 2022 3:49 PM

Poll: » Rail Wars! Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 28, 2014

68 by ColdBisquiT »»
Dec 28, 2021 5:12 PM

Poll: » Rail Wars! Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 21, 2014

78 by Apakabar »»
Dec 4, 2021 5:00 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.