Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 29, 2014 2:07 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well, this was beautiful, not the episode itself but the artistic format of it. I think Eiichirou could learn a few things from watching that. I think in a way, art and tennis can be connected.

Anyways yeah, he is struggling but the match is interesting. It did feel a bit fast though imo. I still like Iwasa somewhat for his talent.
Jun 29, 2014 4:04 AM

Aug 2008
Ahh, this episode ended so fast!

I wonder if Ei-chan can win this game! It has a possibility but the sport genre usually wouldn't let the main character win this match at this point.
Jun 29, 2014 5:09 AM

Jul 2010
Iwasa's play style is quite interesting.
Hyuga Junpei: “Yeah… I’m confident… Because my teammates will help me out! I can shoot confidently.. because it will be okay even if I miss!”

Kagami Taiga: “I don’t know about being the bad guy or whatever. It’s only in stories where titles like that decide the loser. This is our show. We’re the ones who are writing the script.”
Jun 29, 2014 5:57 AM

Jun 2014
His play style is interesting but borring :/

Ei-Chan used the memory technique ! Hope we see some of that explosive power for the last game we didin't see.
Jun 29, 2014 6:05 AM
Jan 2014
Eiichirou better put himself in a state of confidence.
I really hope Mike's psychological coaching session helps until the end of the match.
Coach Muira told to feel more confident and that he is improving, as well.
If he takes those things into account, I think he has a chance at winning.
Jun 29, 2014 6:15 AM

Jul 2010
Iwasa's style of playing tennis.
Letting people score points since he doesn't want to destroy his drawing.
With that technique... Ei-chan would had lost a long time ago.
Drawing from memories of the past to play at prime state!!! This match was slightly uninteresting though. It seems that it will get better once they both release themselves more!
Jun 29, 2014 7:55 AM

May 2013
That is interesting that he can "draw" by playing tennis.
Jun 29, 2014 8:18 AM

Sep 2011
Waah, what an annoying opponent. His play style is quite exquisite thou. This time it kinda looks like Eiichiro will get the win again, although I'm not believing on it that much.
Jun 29, 2014 8:29 AM

Jun 2012
Match was boring as hell. They shouldve just skipped over it.
Jun 29, 2014 10:15 AM

Jul 2013
This is why Baby Steps is great. Every match isn't always just about who has the better skill but also a battle of wits and mental strength.
Jun 29, 2014 10:38 AM

Jul 2011
MoeGod said:
This is why Baby Steps is great. Every match isn't always just about who has the better skill but also a battle of wits and mental strength.

Like any good sports series should have. :P

I liked this match as well. I'm hoping Ei-chan wins since he seems to have a chance, but I wish I held back and marathoned 2 episodes. I hate waiting a week. >__<
Jun 29, 2014 11:48 AM

Jul 2013
Mirorin said:
MoeGod said:

Like any good sports series should have. :P

I liked this match as well. I'm hoping Ei-chan wins since he seems to have a chance, but I wish I held back and marathoned 2 episodes. I hate waiting a week. >__<

Sadly that's not always the case. It's often about who has better super powers or more genius player in the team. Baby Steps simply took it up a notch when it comes to strategy.
Jun 29, 2014 12:45 PM
Jul 2018
Iwasa's style is pretty interesting, he is using tennis to draw pictures on court.
Jun 29, 2014 1:18 PM

Aug 2010
Damn! That cliffhanger was good >.<

Nxt ep should be even intense!

I wonder if Natsu will make it in time to see the match?
Jun 29, 2014 1:49 PM

May 2012
I feel like this is the first time the anime is rushing through something, or maybe I liked this part so much in the manga I just read it slower. Iwasa becomes one of my favorite characters later in the series, and I hope we get to explore more of his character in the next episode.
Jun 29, 2014 1:50 PM

Jun 2012
What a stupid way to play tennis.
Jun 29, 2014 1:56 PM

Dec 2011
Drawing pictures huh, I hope it ain't anything sketchy ecchi XD.

Ei-chan vs Iwasa! Let the "battle" start!

Lol. so that's how he draws on the court huh.

I really hope Ei-chan can win this one...
"Let justice be done, though the heavens fall."
Jun 29, 2014 2:36 PM

Jan 2011
[Actually I think this is a very smart way to play tennis, particularly at the higher levels. Once both players are at the same high level, a match will be decided by either mistakes (rare from good players) or by a superior strategy. Since only Iwasa knows which particular painting he is emulating with his shot placement, this prevents his opponent from being able to predict what shot Iwasa is going to play. In essence, Iwasa's game plan appears unpredictable and random to his opponent, while Iwasa himself knows exactly what he is going to do. As someone else commented earlier, this is all about the metagame.
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Jun 29, 2014 3:13 PM

Jul 2010
rodac said:
[Actually I think this is a very smart way to play tennis, particularly at the higher levels. Once both players are at the same high level, a match will be decided by either mistakes (rare from good players) or by a superior strategy. Since only Iwasa knows which particular painting he is emulating with his shot placement, this prevents his opponent from being able to predict what shot Iwasa is going to play. In essence, Iwasa's game plan appears unpredictable and random to his opponent, while Iwasa himself knows exactly what he is going to do. As someone else commented earlier, this is all about the metagame.

This summarizes what I thought of the episode.
Also, I found this match a nice change of pace.

Although I found pretty stupid the reasons of Iwata's parents like: "You cannot draw because there are a lot of things to do" WTF.
Jun 29, 2014 3:38 PM

Apr 2014
I actually liked the manga version of this match, but for some reason its adaptation felt... so... d-r-a-w-n o-u-t (lawl). And as soon as the excitement picked up the episode ended. FUUUUU- XD

Addition (?) I liked: expounding upon two different styles of teaching and how drawing lines is a legitimate approach to the sport. Hipster-kun simply takes that to the extreme.
Jun 29, 2014 5:37 PM

Sep 2008
Glad they got through a lot of this match in one episode. Only match I didn't really care about in the manga.
Jun 29, 2014 7:32 PM
May 2014
Nobody would ever play tennis like that... or at least you would have to be very very very very good... I didn't find it realistic though. Probably cause I've never heard of players doing that kind of psychological practices. Not a terrible episode though.

Plus I think they made a small error, Ei-chan is up 5-4 and serving for the match, but his one friend that calls him bro said that he'd have to win this game to stay in the match...
DoubleaJun 29, 2014 7:36 PM
Jun 29, 2014 11:51 PM

Apr 2014
Doublea said:
Plus I think they made a small error, Ei-chan is up 5-4 and serving for the match, but his one friend that calls him bro said that he'd have to win this game to stay in the match...

I think what Yukichi means is that is that Ei-chan must win his own serve now to have any chance at winning the match. Otherwise, at 5-5 he'll need a two point lead to win, and there's no way he'd personally be able to manage a breakpoint, not now that Iwase's serious.
Jun 30, 2014 12:41 AM

Nov 2010
Wow, that was really interesting. i loved Iwasa's play style.

This anime keeps getting better and better. i hope there will be a second season ...
Jun 30, 2014 4:59 AM

Aug 2013
Well this is interesting. Ei-chan has always been really good at analyzing and predicting his opponent's next move but now he's facing an opponent with a really unpredictable style not to mention some of the shots don't even make sense.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Jun 30, 2014 7:32 PM
May 2014
currycurry said:
Doublea said:

I think what Yukichi means is that is that Ei-chan must win his own serve now to have any chance at winning the match. Otherwise, at 5-5 he'll need a two point lead to win, and there's no way he'd personally be able to manage a breakpoint, not now that Iwase's serious.

That would be a weird way to put it, but I guess you could explain it like that... Though if he holds serve he wins the match, so of course he would win...
Jun 30, 2014 7:53 PM

Apr 2014
Doublea said:
currycurry said:

That would be a weird way to put it, but I guess you could explain it like that... Though if he holds serve he wins the match, so of course he would win...

Yup! He must win it all now to win at all. :D
currycurryJun 30, 2014 7:56 PM
Jul 1, 2014 5:42 PM
Jun 2010
Akanezora said:

Although I found pretty stupid the reasons of Iwata's parents like: "You cannot draw because there are a lot of things to do" WTF.

The mother don't want him to become an artist because only a few can make a successful living as an artist. a line that was removed.
Jul 2, 2014 2:17 AM

Jul 2010
LazyLuong said:
Akanezora said:

The mother don't want him to become an artist because only a few can make a successful living as an artist. a line that was removed.

I see, well thanks, this explains better their reasons.
Jul 2, 2014 8:55 AM

Sep 2012
LazyLuong said:
Akanezora said:

Why let him play tennis then, especially when he isn't interested in winning matches?
Jul 6, 2014 9:36 PM

Oct 2013
AsukaTenjyoin said:
Iwasa's play style is quite interesting.

It's also kind of funny how he stops playing once he's done
Jul 7, 2014 2:31 PM

Jan 2013
Iwasa is good but is holding himself back slightly.
Just the right skill level that Ei-chan can overcome hopefully.

The animation doesn't feel fast enough when Eiichirou is returning the shots.
Jul 19, 2014 1:13 AM

Nov 2010
Iwasa bringing his artwork is impressive with Van Gogh, Monet and the other masterpiece
His downfall could be underestimating Ei-chan by toying with him the entire match
Jul 20, 2014 10:03 PM

Aug 2009
Shuhan said:
What a stupid way to play tennis.

ditto. but I can see some of the adv as well

Feb 5, 2015 3:10 PM

Jun 2014
Wow Iwasa is the best tennis troll. He doesn't even care about winning until he's about to lose.

Also how did you get from those random lines to those paintings, I saw no resemblance. I just haven't acquired the skills of the artist eyes.

Mar 6, 2015 3:11 PM

Oct 2014
Well this was definitely an unique form of playing tennis. Damn, I was actually really impressed by the idea of playing tennis by drawing pictures.
The creator of this show must have a damn vivid mind! :)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 29, 2015 4:22 AM

Jan 2015
The author really went out of his way to write such an original opponent. Not that you would ever win a game playing like that, mind you.
Jan 20, 2016 9:09 AM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
Them weird characters in the background are so derpy lol

Maruo scoring free points because the 3rd seed has finished his drawing. That would be a big no no since you are letting the opponent get a free point. But well I guess 3rd seed is confident he can win.

I feel like megane girl plays tennis too but I could be wrong.

Mar 1, 2016 11:33 AM

Aug 2013
Lol... the tennis court is like his playground.
Jan 4, 2018 3:30 AM

Jun 2016
If this match has as much competitive knowledge as the last did, I'm in for a treat. The age old question is how to play against someone who plays seemingly random, as if they don't have a care in the world for what you're doing. Initially the answered seemed to be that if you could find out what they're "drawing" you could stop them, but I'm not sure if it will maintain that. I'm excited for the next ep, but I'm going to wait until tomorrow to watch it since I don't want to get into a habit of watching until a match ends in case a 5 episode match ever happens.

I can't say I'm thrilled with the writing choice that Iwasa draws famous art pieces on the court as it's a bit too eccentric or fantastical and a bit less practical and grounded for my taste. This is especially the case due to the contrast with the matches we've seen so far. Nor can I say I'm thrilled with the melodramatic tone of his mom watching, but maybe that one will be changed as I continue.
Feb 23, 2019 6:41 AM
Apr 2016
Such a weird playstyle, not sure what to think...I think he's pulling it close, not taking tennis seriously... Good but a little boring episode.
Jul 27, 2019 2:52 PM

Jul 2016
Solid episode and Iwasa's drawing pictures on the tennis court is a nice little touch.. and btw, the friggin manikins are so fucking distracting that I notice drifting off and focusing on them instead of reading the damn subtitles. Just don't have any fans watching the match besides the other side characters!
Nov 21, 2020 4:06 AM

Jul 2017
Pretty bizarre style of tennis that Iwasa plays, but whatever achieves results I guess; going for a more picturesque style as he 'draws' on the court with his shots. The Miyagawa match definitely is better as a tennis match with the back and forth, but this one is off to a fine start of its own. Iwasa is the third seed so there's a reason why even though his heart isn't in tennis, he still is really successful on the court from the art approach.
Jun 30, 2021 7:58 PM

Jul 2016
First episode I didn't really enjoy. Can't take Iwasa's tennis style seriously and the reason his mother gave to explain why she doesn't let him become an artist was incredibly lame.
Mar 22, 2022 11:08 AM

Jul 2021
Ei-Chan has an interesting technique, possible chance he'll win!
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

More topics from this board

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 6, 2014

143 by JeremiahOrange »»
Oct 5, 2023 6:50 AM

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 21, 2014

93 by 1Konochi »»
Jun 14, 2023 5:49 PM

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 14, 2014

55 by 1Konochi »»
Jun 14, 2023 2:40 PM

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 7, 2014

54 by 1Konochi »»
Jun 5, 2023 12:04 PM

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 24, 2014

52 by 1Konochi »»
May 27, 2023 10:16 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.