Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jun 22, 2014 6:58 PM

Jun 2013
This has become the show I look forward to most each week. :)

The interaction among team members makes it fun to watch and they do a great job overall with the animation. You can almost feel Hinata learning and the various expressions really come through nicely.
Jun 22, 2014 7:35 PM

Dec 2012
Wow, what a great episode. I love how some things of this sport anime can be take as inspiration in life.

Hinata's creepy smile and Tanaka's 'city boy' was memorable. Nekoma is a good rival. This game has been very enjoyable so far!
Jun 22, 2014 7:47 PM

Aug 2013
I found this episode quite funny, also with a great soundtrack
Karasuno started another difficult match, was going well at first, but after Hinata was stopped and the team got worse, but he is not discouraged and went on to try another type of attack, I like him as a protagonist
next week should be the decision of the match, I want to see how will be the final score
Jun 22, 2014 9:29 PM

Dec 2012
Great episode. Hinata was doing pretty good at the start of the match against Nekoma.
Kenma is really good at reading people. Love how Hinata is always learning how to improve.
Cannot wait for next week.
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Jun 22, 2014 11:04 PM

Aug 2013
Tanaka has found his soulmate XD!
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Jun 23, 2014 2:24 AM

Jun 2014
This is probably one of the best anime's I've watched for a while albeit only being 12 episodes. It really gets to you with the constant positive energy used for improving rather than your typical depression sulking for 5 episodes.

This episode was HILARIOUS, I love Tanaka so much and when he met his Neko twin I couldn't stop laughing on the train. "CITY BOY KORA"
The match gave me chills - SO MUCH POSITIVE ENERGY.
I CANT WAIT FOR THE NEXT EPISODE!

"We live not to forget our past, but to learn from it!"

―Freya Crescent, Final Fantasy IX.
Jun 23, 2014 5:46 AM

Jul 2010
I fucking love Tanaka. He always delivers some of the best gags.
Also, Hinata is really enjoyable to watch.

@Lol at the preview.
Jun 23, 2014 4:47 PM

Dec 2010
lol Tanaka is amazing
Jun 23, 2014 7:22 PM

May 2012
04:05 LOOOOL

07:27 too fast

22:29 nice

7/10 for this ep.
Isayama Hajime should be awarded The Manga with The Highest Inconsistencies of Characters' Appearances.
He keeps performing multiple plastic surgeries on those Shingeki No Kyojin characters in a SINGLE chapter.
Yes, I've read up to the latest chapter of Shingeki No Kyojin manga.
Forced myself to read through the kidsketching chapters after the anime's ended. At least from now on, I only have to go through the hell once a month.
Patiently awaiting SNK TV/movie/OVA anime-sequel.
The 2015 SNK live-action movie would probably suck.
Jun 23, 2014 8:55 PM

Oct 2013
Well seems like Hinata is finally learning to do a spike off a normal set
Jun 23, 2014 10:46 PM

Jul 2013
When Hinata asked for a toss Kageyama responded with "That goes without saying."

Several episodes back he refused to even toss to him.

Great development, I love their duo.
"Komugi, are you there?"

Jun 24, 2014 12:31 AM

Sep 2013
Kurini said:
Love Hinata's smile in the manga better
Jun 24, 2014 12:51 AM

Apr 2014
PearlEyes said:
If I'm not mistaken and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, the libero usually replaces the middle blocker in the rear guard/back row until that position rotates back into the vanguard/front row. For example, Hinata (or Tsukishima) serves, he then gets replaced with Nishinoya until that position moves back to the front. Hinata then replaces Nishinoya and plays again along the net.

Libero can only play in the back row because they can only defend and are not allowed to attack. They replace middle blockers in the back because middle blockers are only really "useful" in the front. (Useful might not be the best word here...)
bigivelfhq said:
In Karasuno and probably all of Haikyuu!!:(Simplified explanation)
- Right After the Middle Blocker ends serving, he is substituted by the Libero.
- Right before the Libero rotates to the front, he is substituted by a Middle Blocker.

Pages of the manga: (Detailed explanation) They are from this episode, but the anime removed the majority of the conversation.
- Page 1 -> http://img.batoto.net/comics/2012/11/24/h/read50b0c7c4aa258/img000015.png
- Page 2 ->http://img.batoto.net/comics/2012/11/24/h/read50b0c7c4aa258/img000016.png

Note:
Middle Blocker don't play in the rear, except when they serve and the Libero doesn't play in the vanguard/front. Because of this, the Libero never serves, blocks or spikes. The players can spike from the rear(but they have to jump behind the line in the middle of the court), but the Libero is also prohibited of doing it. The only thing he can do is jump(behind the line in the middle of the court) and toss the ball.
Ah! These explanations are both helpful, thank you! I wasn't aware Tsukishima is a Middle Blocker like Hinata... interesting.
Jun 24, 2014 2:08 AM
Jun 2014
the funny thing when every member in Karasuno has his equivalent in Nekoma
LOL
There is something more vexing than being insulted, humiliated, and abused.

Having a slow internet connection
My time give back my Time T-T
Jun 24, 2014 9:17 AM

Dec 2010
K1dfor3v3r said:
the funny thing when every member in Karasuno has his equivalent in Nekoma
LOL
lol yea they're matched up pretty well
Jun 24, 2014 10:27 AM

May 2013
Great episode as usual. Loved Hinata's yandere face. Hope that happens more. "Because people have no wings, we look for ways to fly" That quote is so beautiful.
"Listen Simon... Don't forget. Believe in yourself. Not in the you who believes in me. Not the me who believes in you. Believe in the you who believes in yourself." ~ Kamina (TTGL)

“You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that’s where you’ll find the things more important than what you want.” ~ Ging (HxH)
Jun 24, 2014 1:12 PM

Aug 2013
Tanaka is always so hilarious xD
He even got a buddy rival!

I thought that Hinata moral would go downhill, but it did the exact opposite. If he can do that curved ball more frequently and precisely, it would be amazing.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Jun 24, 2014 8:13 PM

Jun 2013
Rinji- said:
Loving this friendly rivalry.

Right? It's amazing when the antagonists aren't antagonists, but simply competitors and even potentially friends. In that regard, the personalities on the Nekoma team become just as interesting and as likable as those on Karasuno team.

Very much enjoyed this episode.
Jun 25, 2014 2:20 AM

Dec 2010
I was wondering how'd they make his half-creepy smile work in the anime. It's not as fearsome in the anime, but definitely gets the point across.
Jun 25, 2014 2:49 AM

Aug 2012
Of course the soundtracks is amazing, it's done by Yuki Hayashi. There's no way it could be anything other than awesome.

On a side note, I really like Kenma.
.................................................................................
Jun 25, 2014 3:52 AM
Jul 2018
City Boy. That was hella good!
LOL, captains were both the cunning type.
Jun 25, 2014 8:00 AM

Dec 2010
Romedbaumann said:
One thing about Kenma I was wondering during the episode, they never do show why he has partly blond hair now.
Jun 25, 2014 9:58 AM

Jul 2010
Amazing episode! Hinata's finally learning how to think while spiking.
I found it a little sad that the whole brains of their pair was Kageyama alone, so I'm liking this new development. :)

Also, we finally get some actual mention of the Little Giant's skills, rather than just his name and reputation alone. I loved the comparisons to Hinata, made me really happy. :3

I really love Nekoma's setter. I think he's an awesome dude. :D
I can never really hate anybody in this show...they're all so likeable, even Tsukishima and stuff. I think that's a great quality.
Favorite character still has to be Kageyama though ;) I can't help but love the geniuses.

Can't wait for next week ahh!
Jun 25, 2014 10:50 AM

Dec 2012
Hinata not being discouraged by those blocks. Every game is a chance for growth.

I want to see him improve that spike.
Jun 25, 2014 11:34 AM

May 2011
Nefarious said:
Romedbaumann said:
One thing about Kenma I was wondering during the episode, they never do show why he has partly blond hair now.

it was shown in an extra
Jun 25, 2014 1:35 PM

Jun 2012
Omg Kenma's eyes look so badass this episode. And I loved his backstory, he surprisingly reminds me a lot of myself. I knew I should have taken up sports-kora!! Hopefully the battle at the garbage dump makes it all the way to the national finals.

Kemmi said:
Nefarious said:

it was shown in an extra
That extra was nice. And what's wrong with a pudding head? I thought that made him look even cooler.
Sol_OuJun 25, 2014 1:38 PM
Jun 25, 2014 11:57 PM

Dec 2010
dragonlight said:
And what's wrong with a pudding head? I thought that made him look even cooler.
lol yea, the pudding head looks really good on him
Jun 26, 2014 2:45 PM

Aug 2009
Great episode! Still in love with this anime!
With every failure there is always a chance to learn. I'm so happy that Hinata is learning and improving his spike :)

Jun 26, 2014 4:55 PM

Nov 2011
Great episode,
5/5
=)
Jun 27, 2014 2:07 AM

Jun 2013
Hinata with that yandere look again. kowai
Jun 27, 2014 9:55 AM

Dec 2011
Hinata's expression... priceless...

LOL, Tanaka-san has found himself a look-a-like and a mobster rival XD.

Hahahaha, at Yamamoto's reaction after seeing that Karasuno have the beautiful Kyoko as their manager XD.

Actually there are a lot of players that seem to have the same personalities and almost look the same looool.

Kageyama is clearly fired up at seeing his rival as a setter XD.

Ohohohoh, that's my homie Hinata, leaving them amazed like that :D.

Nekoma... well... they seem pretty weak...

LOL, Kageyama has robot target vision XD.

So in the end they managed to stop Hinata and things don't seem to be going well for them...

Damn, that's one creepy face Hinata had there lol.

C'mon Hinata, I know you can do it!
"Let justice be done, though the heavens fall."
Jun 28, 2014 3:57 PM

Jul 2012
As always, great episode. Never disappoint.
Jun 28, 2014 6:36 PM

Apr 2014
Kemmi said:
Nefarious said:

it was shown in an extra

that's adorable. I love it though, much better than all black and all blonde :-)
Jun 29, 2014 2:37 AM

Jul 2012
Love this show
Jun 29, 2014 5:12 PM

Dec 2010
LOAD said:
I love it though, much better than all black and all blonde :-)
Yea, that's true. Kinda reminds me of the main guy from Haganai, only the hair color though.
Jul 8, 2014 10:33 PM

Jan 2013
Nice last spike. Wonder when we will see the Little Giant.
Also decent amount of time spent on the actual game this episode.
Jul 17, 2014 11:01 AM

Nov 2010
Great again, Nekoma's team gets more sympathy from me as this practise match was very friendly incontrast to the eternal rivalry before
Aug 16, 2014 8:54 PM

Dec 2012
Mills said:
The similarities between some of the Karasuno and Nekoma players were pretty funny. This part was hilarious.

The game is enjoyable so far. Nekoma already got used to Hinata's movements and have been shutting him down, but thanks to that he is finally learning how to adjust his spikes in mid-air instead of completely relying on Kageyama's tosses. He's definitely improving as a player.
Oct 20, 2014 5:20 AM

Jan 2013
The players are to similar, which makes it funny.
That was a nice shot at the end.
Nov 1, 2014 9:18 AM

Jun 2011
First half was good,. I like the Nekoma(?) team, especially that setter, Kenma(?). Lmao @ Tanaka's "city boy" too.

Second half was terrible, I didn't like how they blatantly spell out Hinata's development, it's like "hey look Hinata has grown since the first chapter of his high school life, he's now going to find a way to overcome his weakness instead of getting depressed over it", I would like it more if it had more subtlety, instead of straight out telling us he has changed. I don't like how Hinata keeps receiving the ball too, I know this is a practice match, but it's like there were no other attacker on Karasuma, which is.. bullshit. There are other players blocking the Ace of Karasuma, but hey, at least it's better than getting blocked 24/7.Ace at least has the power to spike. You can say that the players know it's a practice match and it's not like they have to win it at all cost, which is why they are borrowing this chance to make Hinata stronger, but when people get into a match, especially if it's a sports they love, they just can't simply intentionally lose, it's not that easy. It's like asking you to stop having sex in the middle of it. Hinata's last "power up" is so disgusting. This draws a lot of parallel to Kuroko no Basket, Hinata keep asking for the ball is like one of the Seirin's player keep asking for a 1v1 in position (SG vs SG for example), sudden power up in the middle of a match is like Kagami's constant power up, etc.. /rant.
ToG25thBaamNov 1, 2014 9:22 AM
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Nov 1, 2014 10:42 AM

Jun 2011
ToG25thBaam said:

I don't like how Hinata keeps receiving the ball too, I know this is a practice match, but it's like there were no other attacker on Karasuma, which is.. bullshit. There are other players blocking the Ace of Karasuma, but hey, at least it's better than getting blocked 24/7.Ace at least has the power to spike. You can say that the players know it's a practice match and it's not like they have to win it at all cost, which is why they are borrowing this chance to make Hinata stronger, but when people get into a match, especially if it's a sports they love, they just can't simply intentionally lose, it's not that easy.

I just wanted to respond back on this part because I think you missed something while watching the episode.

Hinata's also not receiving the ball all that much. They simply animated Hinata getting a lot of the balls and they didn't animate Asahi or Tanaka spiking. Because Karasuno was actually still getting points, it shows that Asahi and Tanaka were still getting the ball a lot since they were probably the only ones scoring points. The thing with Hinata getting the balls is the fact that Hinata is a cornerstone of the team. Karasuno needs him as a decoy. If Hinata cannot spike the balls, the team loses a ton of attacking power. And if you refer back to the flashback with Karasuno versus Dateko, the match that caused Asahi to quit, people commented during the flashback on how Karasuno lacks attacking power. Against a team like Nekoma, who are extremely solid receivers (for example, the libero from Nekoma touched Asahi's first spike), without Hinata acting as a decoy, Karasuno will probably not score many points at all. It's because Hinata is there, and there is a possibility that he will spike a freak quick (even if he is not scoring with regular quicks), that Asahi and Tanaka can score freely.
Animelist」 ♪「 Mangalist 」♫
[/size]

Nov 2, 2014 5:20 AM

Jun 2011
xmaikokoro said:
I just wanted to respond back on this part because I think you missed something while watching the episode.

Hinata's also not receiving the ball all that much. They simply animated Hinata getting a lot of the balls and they didn't animate Asahi or Tanaka spiking. Because Karasuno was actually still getting points, it shows that Asahi and Tanaka were still getting the ball a lot since they were probably the only ones scoring points. The thing with Hinata getting the balls is the fact that Hinata is a cornerstone of the team. Karasuno needs him as a decoy. If Hinata cannot spike the balls, the team loses a ton of attacking power. And if you refer back to the flashback with Karasuno versus Dateko, the match that caused Asahi to quit, people commented during the flashback on how Karasuno lacks attacking power. Against a team like Nekoma, who are extremely solid receivers (for example, the libero from Nekoma touched Asahi's first spike), without Hinata acting as a decoy, Karasuno will probably not score many points at all. It's because Hinata is there, and there is a possibility that he will spike a freak quick (even if he is not scoring with regular quicks), that Asahi and Tanaka can score freely.
Thanks for the explanation. My main problem with it is, Hinata keep getting the ball even though he gets blocked all the time, and he asked for it. But well, if I keep well in mind that they are just practicing, it doesn't matter much, but that would mean that it somehow contradicts with the personality of the players from Karasuno, because they are a bunch that don't like to lose. I have this image in my mind that the other attackers of Karasuno were just standing on the court doing nothing during their turn to attack, leaving everything up to Hinata because he asked Kageyama to pass to him.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Dec 10, 2014 8:45 AM
Nov 2013
He was totally block out but some how he found the way to make it out and looks like he got a new move I am getting more excited
Dec 10, 2014 8:47 AM
Nov 2013
rothrock said:
Mills said:
The similarities between some of the Karasuno and Nekoma players were pretty funny. This part was hilarious.

The game is enjoyable so far. Nekoma already got used to Hinata's movements and have been shutting him down, but thanks to that he is finally learning how to adjust his spikes in mid-air instead of completely relying on Kageyama's tosses. He's definitely improving as a player.

I felt they were about to start a boxing match well I was really hoping for it
Jan 3, 2015 2:59 AM
Oct 2014
seriously there's only one female character and she's used solely for sex appeal????????????????? ahhhhhh
Jan 29, 2015 7:47 PM

Jul 2013
Yay, I'm glad Hinata's starting to hone his skills. :D Now he's closer to being taken seriously on his own and not just as a set with Kageyama. I really liked watching Kenma's analysis of Karasuno's members though. I hope our home team wins. O: Those cat eyes irritate me or some reason.
May 30, 2015 10:32 AM

Oct 2009
Man this show is quite motivational, getting pumped for my football/soccer match tomorrow :D!
Jun 25, 2015 6:18 PM
Mar 2015
What an ep!love it!
Yamamoto n Tanaka is just so hilarious XD
Jun 30, 2015 7:44 PM

Feb 2012
I literally cheered when Hintata first spiked the ball incredibly fast and Neko was awestruck. I really do hope they win the game!
Jul 30, 2015 11:55 PM

Mar 2012
Well it would've been silly if he kept spiking the ball with his eyes closed so it's pretty good that he's learning to do it the right way.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 18, 2014

125 by ANIk_003 »»
May 16, 8:19 AM

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 4, 2014

140 by ANIk_003 »»
May 16, 12:13 AM

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 27, 2014

176 by ANIk_003 »»
May 15, 11:19 PM

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 6, 2014

303 by isxelle »»
Apr 28, 10:20 PM

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 20, 2014

154 by AnimeBeckYor »»
Apr 20, 7:37 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.