Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
May 25, 2014 3:52 PM

Jan 2013
Am I the only one who is kind of irritated with Asahi, the "ace" guy, as of now? I mean he's getting schooled by first years, isn't he supposed to be older and more mature? And it's not like his problem is even that complicated. Does he really intend to wimp out of the sport because he lost one game? Come on, even Hinata & Kageyama (younger kids) didn't let things like that stop them from playing volleyball forever.

I hope we don't have to watch a lot of Asahi being emo before he finally grows a pair

Also, I'm anime only, so if there's something from the manga that I don't know, DON'T hold it against me. I'm going off my current impression

May 25, 2014 4:36 PM

Oct 2013
brianez said:
Am I the only one who is kind of irritated with Asahi, the "ace" guy, as of now? I mean he's getting schooled by first years, isn't he supposed to be older and more mature? And it's not like his problem is even that complicated. Does he really intend to wimp out of the sport because he lost one game? Come on, even Hinata & Kageyama (younger kids) didn't let things like that stop them from playing volleyball forever.

I hope we don't have to watch a lot of Asahi being emo before he finally grows a pair

Also, I'm anime only, so if there's something from the manga that I don't know, DON'T hold it against me. I'm going off my current impression

By older you mean 2 more years, right? That is their only age difference. Given that they are in Japan, being a Senpai is a big deal for a lot of people. It didn't seemed like Asahi cared about that Though.

You're taking for granted him being part of the volleyball team. Volleyball is just a club in school. He had a pretty bad experience there and so he gave up. As simple as that. Of course you can say he is a coward, that decided the easiest way out of the problem.
Asahi problem is not about loosing one game though. In that game all of his spikes got blocked. And we're not talking of the level of Hinata first game where he had like four chances to spike, because his team sucked. We can assume that he had a LOT! And all of them were blocked, by what Suga said. Given that he was the team Ace and that he feels double responsible, by what Suga said. Is easy to see why he gave up.
Now, there will be a lot of drama just to make him come back, but life is like that sometimes. We can all hope is good drama :P
bigivelfhqMay 25, 2014 5:16 PM
May 25, 2014 5:11 PM

Jul 2011
Shaniyaz said:
Nishinoya's reason for choosing Karasuno.. Completely valid! ✓
His reactions to being called the Guardian Deity and senpai by Hinata.. XD

Everyone's reactions Nishinoya's Rolling Thunder receive was hilarious!
"Cat vs. Raven: Battle at the Garbage Dump." sounds epic to me!

Tanaka's accent when saying "city boys", seemed like he said "sh!tty boys." XD
Hinata perfectly copying Kageyama's cold demeanor.. Too funny!

Really, I love the character interactions. Funny and friendly.

ROLLING THUNDER!!
May 25, 2014 5:14 PM

Dec 2012
Nishinoya sure loves the praises from Hinata.
Hopefully Asashi joins up with the team.
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

May 25, 2014 6:39 PM

Jul 2012
A rather slow episode, but good development. Hosoyan's character!!! :3
May 25, 2014 7:12 PM

Jan 2011
ahhh it's been a while since Okamoto voice heh Noya is great!

Asahi on the other hand has room to grow hes a big softie despite his looks
May 25, 2014 7:29 PM

Oct 2011
Feels during Hinata's speech to Asahi T___T

Noya reasoning to come to Karusuno XDDDD

Noya-senpai @__@ !!!!!!!!!!

Cat vs Raven EPIC!!!!!!!
May 25, 2014 9:36 PM

Aug 2013
Hinata's Kageyama impression was spot on XD~!
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
May 25, 2014 10:19 PM

Mar 2012
Nishinoya's pretty awesome. I think he's going to be my favorite character in this show. Hinata as Kageyama though was lol.
May 25, 2014 10:47 PM

Dec 2011
Another great and funny episode, Noya was really hilarious reacting to Hinata saying that it's the first time he's looked down on someone XD.
"Let justice be done, though the heavens fall."
May 25, 2014 10:53 PM

Dec 2011
Looks like we are having 3 developments at the same time. Nishinoya, Asahi, and the store clerk Ukai. Can't wait to see these guys be on the Karasuno's team for good.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 25, 2014 11:00 PM

Nov 2010
Nishinoya is such a cool character like Tanaka
There were some good moments coming from the dynamic duo Tobio and Hinata convincing ace Asahi to rejoin the team

The garbage dump rivalry is an amusing title with the cat and crow imaged
May 25, 2014 11:23 PM

Aug 2013
the two lowest of team are pretty funny
Hinata really is a great motivator, joining it to the talent and persistence, can certainly become the team's ace
Haikyuu! this among the best of the season
May 25, 2014 11:53 PM
Jul 2018
NISHINOYA <3 OMG. OMG. OMG. And he's reason for enrolling in Karasuno. HAHAHA. So cool. He's the same as me since I picked up a school very close to us to study. :3
May 26, 2014 6:45 AM

Jan 2014
dat rolling thunder
May 26, 2014 7:39 AM

Sep 2011
how can this show be a favorite for many of you when the pacing is this much slow =/
May 26, 2014 8:30 AM

Mar 2014
bulk_density said:
how can this show be a favorite for many of you when the pacing is this much slow =/

Because it's actually good?

This show is honest and truly genuine in execution. I can see why many people like it.
May 26, 2014 9:42 AM

Jul 2013
LOL nice introduction their Noya, going to Karasuno just to see girls and the uniforms XD. Though his main conflict for him is Asahi, where he won't come back to play volleyball.

Well at the end their I think he might rethink this through and joined it once again.

May 26, 2014 10:35 AM

Nov 2013
Hilarious episode. :)

With the Entrance of Nishinoya, the team is filled in with a "libero". I'm already liking him a lot.

It was funny when he reacted to Hinata calling him "Senpai." xD

Aah, and loved what Hinata said to Asahi. Lots of conviction and passion.

And Hinata did the perfect impression of Kageyama. xD
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 26, 2014 11:04 AM
Feb 2010
Hinata is such an inspiring little devil without even realising it.
Him being so honest influences everyone on the team. And they use him to persuade Nishinoya
and Asahi subsequently.
May 26, 2014 3:43 PM

Sep 2011
LLawlied said:

This show is honest and truly genuine in execution. I can see why many people like it.

In anime world, one shouldn't be bothered by whether an anime looks perfectly genuine or super over-exaggerated. (think about Kuroko no basket, the powers there are far from reality but it still is all time favorite for many of us)
For an anime that worth watching,I think character development, moderate pacing (chapter/episode correlation) and of course some exciting actions are important. Above which, i havent seen in haikyuu, yet..

Since i have a special interest in shonen sports anime, i know i'll keep watching haikyuu but it seems, this show is not gonna excite me as Eyeshield 21, Slam Dunk or Kuroko No Basket did (unless this slow pacing and unnecessary empty talks stop) . At this rate, it may be even boring than captain tsubasa *_*
ember-moonMay 26, 2014 3:46 PM
May 26, 2014 3:53 PM

Feb 2013
superb episode as always.... There's no super power smash or something like that in this anime right?
May 26, 2014 6:21 PM

Jun 2013
Pretty fun episode all in all :)
May 26, 2014 7:16 PM

Mar 2014
bulk_density said:
LLawlied said:

In anime world, one shouldn't be bothered by whether an anime looks perfectly genuine or super over-exaggerated. (think about Kuroko no basket, the powers there are far from reality but it still is all time favorite for many of us)
For an anime that worth watching,I think character development, moderate pacing (chapter/episode correlation) and of course some exciting actions are important. Above which, i havent seen in haikyuu, yet..

That's what many people already seen in Haikyuu. There's character development, moderate pacing (I have not read the manga, but from what I heard the show constantly adapted 2-3 chapters/episode which is most manga adapted anime do), and it has good action scene with great animation to boot (one of the best animated if I may say). And of course, there's that non-superpower aspect in the show that draw many people to begin with. I'm not saying that sport with superpower is bad, they have their own audience.
So yeah, it just that many people see what you don't see in Haikyuu.
LLawliedMay 26, 2014 7:39 PM
May 26, 2014 8:16 PM

Aug 2008
bulk_density said:

Since i have a special interest in shonen sports anime, i know i'll keep watching haikyuu but it seems, this show is not gonna excite me as Eyeshield 21, Slam Dunk or Kuroko No Basket did (unless this slow pacing and unnecessary empty talks stop) . At this rate, it may be even boring than captain tsubasa *_*
Having read the manga, I can tell you that haikyuu is building up the charactersq very well. It's well planned and the mangaka knows what he needs and wants to do. Apart from the obvious character development (mostly hinata and kageyama for the moment), there are hints drops every now and then for others characters back story, and when more episodes are out, you will be able to go back to watch the past episodes and you'll see that the mangaka has been working on the character development bits by bits without you noticing. And about the exciting actions, I'm pretty glad that the story started like the way it is now, by introducing every team member, creating the chemistry between them and having useful practice matches (oh, I guess you don't call those "exciting") to welcome what is going to come : going to the intern high competition as goal. And what's make something worth watching night be something you don't care much, like the realistic aspect, the characters personality etc.

As for me, it can easily get a 10/10. There is not a more awesome thing than having your favorite manga (because it's excellent in every way for me since the ch 1) being animated by a Production I. G. which knows how to faithfully adapt it.
May 26, 2014 10:38 PM

Jan 2014
Slow? Really? I honestly don't that it's THAT slow...
Empty talks? Really? For me those are fun bantering with bits of characterization.
Anyway.....I like it this way. It takes its time and not rushing things. It's relaxing and fun. It is simply what I - and some other people - expected from sports anime.

May 26, 2014 10:40 PM

Feb 2012
Suuuuuppperrr!

May 27, 2014 3:41 AM

Feb 2010
Nishinoya's Rolling Thunder was awesome.
May 27, 2014 4:13 PM

Jul 2012
Potential for this series is higher than ever with all these new characters being introduced.

I absolutely love how Hinata portrayed his passion for volleyball with that detailed description of how he feels when he spikes the ball. I can totally relate to that amazing feeling you get when you know you just did something incredible in a competition, especially when it's for your team.
May 28, 2014 12:33 PM

Apr 2008
special-secret said:
I have heard it loud and clear!!! it was OKAMOTO NOBUHIKO'S VOICE >>_<< Nishinoya-san's character is already great, together with Okamoto-san's voice, i can see i will love he character more than i already am!!! >_<

Hinata just naturally persuaded Asahi-san spectacularly...... Good Job!!! *Thumbs up*

^ This!!!!!! XD
May 28, 2014 2:41 PM

Jan 2013
Pretty good episode.
Great animation as usual. This school has a lot of talent.
May 28, 2014 3:36 PM

Aug 2013
''He had a beard too. A nice little beard... Maybe when I'll have a beard I'll be a champion too! Maybe I should let my hair grow...''
Woah, Hinata have found the path to success :P

Nishiya have his priorities right... The girls! Who would want to go to a college where girls have ugly uniform. Having sexy and cute uniform help at the performance, it is known x)

Well, I think that Hinata and Kageyama might be able to make Asahi come back. I really want to see all of them play all together.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
May 29, 2014 11:06 AM

May 2014
Lol Hinata's impression of Kageyama was spot on at the end. Also really loving the introduction of Noya and Asahi! I like them already, and hope to see them in action soon.

ROLLINNNGG THUNNDERR!!
May 29, 2014 11:51 AM
Mar 2013
niceee nice ep :DD gwah pow gah ~~ hahaha xD
May 29, 2014 2:30 PM

Mar 2009
I'm in love with Nishinoya's blond fringe.
Jun 7, 2014 5:05 PM

May 2013
Nice episode :)
Jun 16, 2014 5:03 PM

Jun 2011
Nishinoya is such a lovable brat <3

And Asahi looks like an Asahi, if ya feel me
Jun 22, 2014 12:20 AM

May 2012
02:09 perverted chibi Vegeta

05:35 LOOOL

06:19 dat senpaibaka II

16:01 rooringu sandaa!!

19:17 LOOOOOL

21:00 touching + dat track

8/10 for this ep.
Isayama Hajime should be awarded The Manga with The Highest Inconsistencies of Characters' Appearances.
He keeps performing multiple plastic surgeries on those Shingeki No Kyojin characters in a SINGLE chapter.
Yes, I've read up to the latest chapter of Shingeki No Kyojin manga.
Forced myself to read through the kidsketching chapters after the anime's ended. At least from now on, I only have to go through the hell once a month.
Patiently awaiting SNK TV/movie/OVA anime-sequel.
The 2015 SNK live-action movie would probably suck.
Jul 20, 2014 1:44 PM

Oct 2009
It's becoming more and more interesting.
Aug 16, 2014 8:50 PM

Dec 2012
special-secret said:
I have heard it loud and clear!!! it was OKAMOTO NOBUHIKO'S VOICE >>_<< Nishinoya-san's character is already great, together with Okamoto-san's voice, i can see i will love he character more than i already am!!! >_<

Hinata just naturally persuaded Asahi-san spectacularly...... Good Job!!! *Thumbs up*
Oct 10, 2014 12:23 PM

Jan 2013
I assume that these are the last characters to make and appearence.
The team is almost complete then.
Dec 10, 2014 12:14 AM
Nov 2013
Nishinora and now there Ace they got some good players next match will be worth watch
Dec 23, 2014 6:29 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Love these kind of episodes with focus on the backstory of side characters. Shows how much a show cares for the characterization
Dec 23, 2014 10:03 AM

Dec 2008
Asahi! <3

Sent with Mal Updater
Dec 30, 2014 2:56 AM
Oct 2014
lol asahi staring down at his palm and crying. calm down!!!!!! what is sports anime without excessive crying tho
Jan 23, 2015 11:38 PM

Jul 2013
parfaited said:
Bah, I felt such joy watching Noya (That voice !! In that small body no less. I thought he was going to sound squeaky-ish like Hinata but damn, YES.)

YES his voice is the best. I could listen to him talk all day. <3 I love Noya and Asahi now and they've only had an episode of screentime. The whole cast makes me so happy tbh (besides Tsuki...I hope he'll do something to make me warm up to him soon).

Hinata's little speech at the end was nice.
Jul 29, 2015 10:59 PM

Mar 2012
AnimeFan500 said:
Feels during Hinata's speech to Asahi T___T

Noya reasoning to come to Karusuno XDDDD

Noya-senpai @__@ !!!!!!!!!!

Cat vs Raven EPIC!!!!!!!

Pretty great speech. That little guy sure knows how to motivate people xD
Aug 3, 2015 12:46 AM

Dec 2013
Noya's introduction was fun to watch. The other guy sort of looks like the captains older brother lol

It's obvious from the opening that they will all become part of the team eventually.
Oct 18, 2015 7:51 AM

Nov 2011
Narratively it managed the incident to be interesting and enjoyable with his comedy. The rhythm and sequence of events seemed good and with a logical thread easy to follow. The characters are cute, and everyone has the charism that distinguishes them easily. Beautiful drawings and animations.
Nov 15, 2015 11:13 AM

Jun 2009
the team seems to be shaping up quite nicely.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 18, 2014

125 by ANIk_003 »»
May 16, 8:19 AM

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 4, 2014

140 by ANIk_003 »»
May 16, 12:13 AM

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 27, 2014

176 by ANIk_003 »»
May 15, 11:19 PM

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 6, 2014

303 by isxelle »»
Apr 28, 10:20 PM

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 20, 2014

154 by AnimeBeckYor »»
Apr 20, 7:37 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.