Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
May 25, 2014 1:22 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Ha, Nishiya is funny :p I like him already in this adaptation. I really like his confidence.

It was an okay episode I guess, kinda slowed down in action but it was nice to meet some of the other players. The "rage" was hilarious.
May 25, 2014 1:25 AM

Nov 2007
Thought he likes to babble about unrelated things, but he got mad at another "ace" guy not returning. Main guy asking him for help. While teaching him, he tells that either positions are really cool.

Coach asking that grocery guy to help on coaching them. That tall ace guy has some kind of trauma on volleyball. Another practice match against "cat" high planned.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
May 25, 2014 2:40 AM
Aug 2011
Bah, I felt such joy watching Noya (That voice !! In that small body no less. I thought he was going to sound squeaky-ish like Hinata but damn, YES.) and Asahi.

My show of the season. I.G bless.
Would watch again, would rolling thunder all over my screen all day, etc.
May 25, 2014 2:44 AM

Apr 2014
I had a feeling they would slow down the pace here, looks like it'll take a while for nekoma :(

And hmmmmmmm......... Noya's voice isn't exactly how I imagined it to be, it's deeper I think? But I guess it's okay, some great voice acting there

"Nishinoya-senpai~!"
Rolling thuunnnderrrr!!
May 25, 2014 3:01 AM

Apr 2014
Man, I have such affection for this show. There are no dramatics like death and family that get the eyes weeping, but the characters are second by minute by hour carrying the weight of the narrative, and with joy. I see how Kageyama and Hinata have learned important lessons, and are now reteaching them to their sempai.

These kids, man. These kids. ; _ ;
May 25, 2014 3:08 AM

Jun 2012
Woah, Nishinora is annoying >> but what kind of sports shounen would this be without a loudmouth MC? :P

I'm loving Asahi(?)'s character, and just know he's going to come round. Brilliant how in just one episode, so much about the past and the future was brought out for Karasuno. Very well done episode, hopefully training camp starts next ep?
May 25, 2014 3:10 AM
Mar 2012
I'm liking Asahi, can't wait to see him on the courts!
May 25, 2014 3:16 AM

Jan 2011
Despite not much volleyball action in this episode, I loved this episode. It was funny and had lots of touching and slightly 'feelsy' moments. Nishinoya is such a cool and funny character. I like how part of his hair is blonde at the front. xD He's also quite hot-headed but he's very passionate about being a libero and really looks up to Asahi. I felt so bad for Asahi since he obviously really likes volleyball but feels like he let the entire team down. It was so touching to see Hinata explain to Asahi that he knows exactly how it feels to spike and fail but with Kageyama's amazing setting he's able to see that amazing view. Hinata's way of motivating people is amazing He's just that kind of guy that makes things better, even if he is a chibi shrimp. :D It was great to end the episode with Asahi being amazed at seeing Hinata and Kageyama practicing and Asahi remembering what Hinata said. Asahi, get back with the team!! Also, it was hilarious when Tanaka-san said "shitty boys" and Tsukishima mocked him and when Hinata was impersonating Kageyama. xD Again, I'm loving how beautiful the animation and OST are. <3
5/5
May 25, 2014 3:16 AM
Nov 2011
I have heard it loud and clear!!! it was OKAMOTO NOBUHIKO'S VOICE >>_<< Nishinoya-san's character is already great, together with Okamoto-san's voice, i can see i will love he character more than i already am!!! >_<

Hinata just naturally persuaded Asahi-san spectacularly...... Good Job!!! *Thumbs up*
May 25, 2014 3:21 AM

Sep 2013
He really likes that girl uniform XD

Libero is an intense position, I was wondering why his jersey was a different color in the OP.

That toss and Hinata landed perfectly :P

Nice speech Hinata.

It would be awesome if next episode the other members of the team show up behind Asahi and push him inside the gym :D
May 25, 2014 4:26 AM

Aug 2008
I have been waiting for this episode since the start!! NOYAAAAAAAA! And HOSOYAAAAA as Asahi!! :D

And I found this picture on the net showing everyone's height by order: http://i.imgur.com/jvH6cAA.jpg
May 25, 2014 4:40 AM

Oct 2013
Lol. All the gwah pow gah....
May 25, 2014 4:48 AM

Aug 2010
Noooooooooooo now I have to wait a whole week for the next episode.
I love this show too much.
May 25, 2014 4:51 AM

May 2010
Loved the beginning. Hinata's gonna rejoice now xD

I swear I tilted my head along with the characters when Nishinoyo explained them how to block!

I like Nishinoyo. He says some cool things, has his ideals and easily flattered. He needs a kohai like Hinata for sure xD

Nekoma, huh. They sound cool. Go Hinata! Recuit Asahi! Kageyama's blunt speech is as interesting as always.

Amazing episode!
May 25, 2014 4:56 AM

Aug 2013
Soooo excited to see the day Ukai joins the team officially (come on babeh!) and YES PRACTICE MATCH WITH NEKOMA OMG KENMA MY BABY IS SLOWLY COMING AAAA

Can't wait to see Asahi plays and coming back to them along with Noya

I rofl'd when Hinata brought up King!Kageyama's past statement and DAT TSUNDERE!KAGEYAMA FACE
May 25, 2014 5:17 AM

Jun 2012
For the girls uniform? You earned my respect Noya. And I agree with the whole black uniform thing. It's much better than grey. At least my school had a choice between black and grey.
May 25, 2014 5:59 AM

Jul 2010
Nishiya's reason for coming to this school xD He is simple and really considerate too.
The teacher with infinite patience, got to hand it to him for being optimistic.
Asahi reminiscing about his own spikes, I felt something there. Asahi seems nice and responsible! The senpai joining are going to be awesome, they already are.

Karasuno is going to be a formidable foe for anyone they go against ^^
FatefulLoveMay 25, 2014 12:50 PM
May 25, 2014 6:08 AM

Apr 2013
Best episode for me as of yet

May 25, 2014 6:28 AM

Aug 2010
Really fun ep :D

Noya's debut is hilarious as I remember XD His reason for coming to Kaeasuno XD How he reacted to being called Senpai and Guardian Deity was so lol XD And everytime Hinata praises him he says he'll buy him an Ice cream XD

Loved Hinata's speech to Asahi! He totally made him nostalgic there hehe. There's no way he can resist now :D And nice follow up by Tobio ^^

Also lol'd so much at Hinata imitating Kageyama hahaha XD Hilarious XD

YAY!!! NEKOMA IS gonna make a debut! HYPE :D
May 25, 2014 6:33 AM

Oct 2013
Amazing Episode. Not an action one, but a relax and character development one.
Now is the time to get the missing players, Libero and Ace Spiker(Even though I would consider Tanaka one Ace Spiker), and the missing Coach, to prepare to the Legendary battle of the GARBAGE DUMP. Who will win? The Crows or the Cats?
May 25, 2014 6:46 AM

May 2014
Ahhhhh.. Hosoya's voice is really relaxing! XD
May 25, 2014 6:49 AM

Apr 2014
Don't like the slow pacing. :/
Only 2 chapters were adapted.
"Even villains have standards"
-Accelerator-

May 25, 2014 7:50 AM

Apr 2013
Hinata's impression of Kageyama was perfect. I already like Noya. Rolling Thunder!
Looking forward to Asahi rejoining the team and the Golden Week training camp.
May 25, 2014 8:14 AM

Aug 2009
Simply love it! Great episode although there wasn't any volleyball playing, the new characters and the character development was strong with this one. I was never bored all throughout this episode. It was fun!
I'm really loving this anime and I can't explain it but just everything feels so right to me.

May 25, 2014 8:38 AM

Dec 2013
Heh this episode was a nice introduction to the Ace and the coach. Hopefully both of them will be convinced~ (but i'm pretty sure thats going to happen anyways). Good episode though not as exciting as the previous ones. Really good nonetheless. 5/5.
"No one knows what the future holds. That's why its potential is infinite.” - Okabe Rintarou

"El Psy Congroo."

Kirino Kyousake Picture
May 25, 2014 9:12 AM

May 2014
I really liked this episode. What it lacked in actual volleyball it compensated with jokes and emotional moments thanks to the introduction of new characters Nishinoya and Asahi.

By the way, anybody else giggled when Kageyama nodded as Nishinoya told Hinata to be proud as his role as decoy?
May 25, 2014 9:58 AM

Jul 2010
I...might actually give this show 10/10 later on if the level of this awesomeness continues.Loving everything about it so far.New characters are great as well.We will see, but so far, Haikyuu!! tops all of this season's shows for me (besides JoJo).
May 25, 2014 10:23 AM

Nov 2013
iLostReason said:
I...might actually give this show 10/10 later on if the level of this awesomeness continues.Loving everything about it so far.New characters are great as well.We will see, but so far, Haikyuu!! tops all of this season's shows for me (besides JoJo).

basically this except there is a chance for me that this is better than jojo
May 25, 2014 10:25 AM

Jul 2013
WTF how many aces does this team have??

So many good players and only a top 8??? even the top 4 team only has one outstanding player (and most likely the other top teams also have only two or three good players max typical of sports shounen)
May 25, 2014 10:48 AM

Sep 2009
Nishinoya reminds me of my first crush. Lol.
I really love this anime. Can't wait for it every week.
May 25, 2014 10:48 AM

May 2013
Good episode. That was a nice speech by Hinata. I hope Asahi can get back to playing volleyball again.
May 25, 2014 11:05 AM

Jul 2013
I really like Noya so far.
& his voice is deeper than I thought but damn <33
Soundtrack was top notch this episode.
"Komugi, are you there?"

May 25, 2014 11:07 AM

Apr 2014
jiraiya_sensei said:

So many good players and only a top 8??? even the top 4 team only has one outstanding player (and most likely the other top teams also have only two or three good players max typical of sports shounen)

I think you're misinterpreting the meaning of ace here, Asahi is just the team's ace spiker, it's not saying he's that strong
May 25, 2014 11:18 AM

Dec 2012
I don't know if I'll keep watching or drop this. I haven't watched too many sports anime so I'm not really one to talk, but I feel like this hasn't really moved anywhere since ep 2.

They have only played 1 pretty anti-climactic game, and they keep setting up characters like they are telling me "Care for this character and do it NOW!" I don't have any time to get invested in them and I'm not sure I want to.

I really wanted to love this when I started watching, but after 8 eps it still feel like most other series do in ep 2 or 3, undeveloped and a bit boring.

I'll stay for another 2 weeks, but I don't know after that.
The 2002 Tokyo Mew Mew adaptation is not as great as you remember it being.
May 25, 2014 11:28 AM

Jul 2010
Hell it was pretty touching for me. While sometimes it even delivered me genuine laughs. This kinda reminds me Gintama in regards of that aspect.
May 25, 2014 11:55 AM

Apr 2007
Nishinoya is pretty much what I expected in a 'delinquent' character :p

And we're also introduced to the guy who looks slightly Jamaican. I'm glad Hosoya is using a different kind of voice for this character. He's been everywhere recently (including my 2 Yu-Gi-Oh shows) and I can't deny that I was getting a little tired of his same stiff voice.

But overall awesome episode as always :3
May 25, 2014 12:08 PM

May 2012
Come back now ace, you look like a BOSS..

May 25, 2014 12:50 PM

Apr 2014
Raticate said:
By the way, anybody else giggled when Kageyama nodded as Nishinoya told Hinata to be proud as his role as decoy?
Yes. Yes, I did too. Though tbh I was suprised to hear the decoy is an actual position?? So it was both laughter from amusement, shock, and appreciation.
May 25, 2014 1:35 PM

Oct 2013
Well seems like Asahi and Nishinoya are gonna be back on the team soon haha
May 25, 2014 1:41 PM

Oct 2013
currycurry said:
Raticate said:
Yes. Yes, I did too. Though tbh I was suprised to hear the decoy is an actual position?? So it was both laughter from amusement, shock, and appreciation.

Decoy is not a position! The position is Middle Blocker! A Middle Blocker has various functions one of them is being a decoy, mainly because of the quick attacks they do, some Middle Blockers specialize in that.
May 25, 2014 1:48 PM

Jul 2013
CopicColors said:

I think you're misinterpreting the meaning of ace here, Asahi is just the team's ace spiker, it's not saying he's that strong

If a player called the Guardian God, described by Tanaka as a genius in the mold of Kageyama, values Asahi's skill a lot then it's safe to assume he's a lot better than Tanaka and is probably one of the best spikers in the prefecture. I mean Tanaka by himself is already powerful enough to score a lot of points against the top 4 team.
May 25, 2014 1:48 PM

Oct 2013
Crez said:
I don't know if I'll keep watching or drop this. I haven't watched too many sports anime so I'm not really one to talk, but I feel like this hasn't really moved anywhere since ep 2.

They have only played 1 pretty anti-climactic game, and they keep setting up characters like they are telling me "Care for this character and do it NOW!" I don't have any time to get invested in them and I'm not sure I want to.

I really wanted to love this when I started watching, but after 8 eps it still feel like most other series do in ep 2 or 3, undeveloped and a bit boring.

I'll stay for another 2 weeks, but I don't know after that.

What are you looking for in this anime?
What was anti-climatic about the game? And there were 2 games not 1.
Where do you want them to go? To the tournament, I suppose?
You don't have time to get invested? But you're wasting each week 20 minutes by watching the anime! What time don't you have? Are you saying that you watch anime and don't hope to be invested in them?
Undeveloped in what?
If you think is boring maybe this anime isn't for you. As my first question, what are you looking for in this anime?
May 25, 2014 1:49 PM
Jul 2018
Nishiya's debut is hilarious, he is one funny charactcer.

I loved Hinata's speech to Asahi.

Let's hope Asahi will play volleyball again.
May 25, 2014 1:56 PM

Apr 2014
Hinata's speech was definitely inspiring. Didn't think I would get into a sports anime but I am really enjoying this so far.
May 25, 2014 2:13 PM

Apr 2014
jiraiya_sensei said:
CopicColors said:

If a player called the Guardian God, described by Tanaka as a genius in the mold of Kageyama, values Asahi's skill a lot then it's safe to assume he's a lot better than Tanaka and is probably one of the best spikers in the prefecture. I mean Tanaka by himself is already powerful enough to score a lot of points against the top 4 team.

Tanaka called Nishinoya Karasuno's unique/only genius before Kageyama came. And I don't think this is really a spoiler but Tanaka and Asahi at this point are definitely not some of the best spikers in the prefecture. The reason Tanaka was able to score so much against Aobi Jousai is also due greatly to Kageyama's ability as a setter and Hinata's decoy
May 25, 2014 2:14 PM

Oct 2012
Noya's hilarious~ school decisions depend on uniforms
he explains stuff just like kageyama. "zwah" "gwah" "pow"

hinata got a cool moment with his speech to asahi~
LOL hinata pretending to be kageyama~

I cant wait for Nekoma!!!~ Kuroo~ Kenma~ xD
haineko123May 25, 2014 2:22 PM
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
May 25, 2014 2:24 PM

Mar 2014
So, Ukai is actually the name of generational family of coach?
May 25, 2014 2:34 PM

Oct 2013
jiraiya_sensei said:
CopicColors said:

While Asahi is certainly better than Tanaka, something that makes me sad! I don't think you should be talking about best in the prefecture. Do you remember that in one game Asahi wasn't able to score any spikes, right? Even though that probably was an hyperbole used by Sugawa.

jiraiya_sensei said:

You think they are good because you're seeing by their perspective. They are good but not that good!
Think of this more like reality. Even if the other team only has one star player, the other teammates aren't fodder. So it really matters how all of them play together. You'll understand when you watch the next games.
LLawlied said:
So, Ukai is actually the name of generational family of coach?

No, is just the family name of that amazing Coach that was very well known in the prefecture and nationally.
After he left the team and Karasuno turned into a Fallen Champion, nobody really cared about the team. If they bring Ukai, the other teams will think, wrongly, that automatically means the quality of that coach. Well, that doesn't mean that the young Ukai is bad, but doesn't mean he is good either.
JeavMay 25, 2014 3:15 PM
May 25, 2014 3:06 PM

Apr 2014
Nishinoya is so cute ahhhh

I think I'm starting to appreciate him more in the anime than the manga.
May 25, 2014 3:06 PM

Jun 2008
Another fun episode!
Yaiy Noya is such a cutie :') Love him already!
And omg Hinata's impression of Kageyama XD
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 18, 2014

125 by ANIk_003 »»
May 16, 8:19 AM

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 4, 2014

140 by ANIk_003 »»
May 16, 12:13 AM

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 27, 2014

176 by ANIk_003 »»
May 15, 11:19 PM

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 6, 2014

303 by isxelle »»
Apr 28, 10:20 PM

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 20, 2014

154 by AnimeBeckYor »»
Apr 20, 7:37 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.