Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Irregular at Magic High School (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
May 17, 2014 1:41 PM

Jul 2013
Okay episode, with an okay ending arc. Though it kind of bothers me that they just rushed the entire thing. Also the action was good though it kind of drags out as I progress through.

Tatsuya and Miyuki are pretty scary when they are together, also to OP XD. Tatsuya made that leader ran away until he lost his right arm thanks to Takeaki.

Yeah Sayaka and Takeaki are getting closer now, seeing them flirting. Erika making fun of them as a result XD. So a chat with Tatsuya and Sayaka's dad about Kazuma, seems interesting. Love Tatsuya and Miyuki moment at the end there.

Damn, Misaki made a brutal mess. Onward to the next arc.

May 17, 2014 1:43 PM

Oct 2013
wrenchbread said:
millie10468 said:

But you're forgetting the influence of the 10 Master Clans. This is to show how heavy their influence is because under normal (even in Mahoukaverse), circumstances, they would have definitely gotten into trouble. Just look at the 10MC as a get-out-of-jail free card in these situations that involve members and especially heirs of the clans.

This would imply that they have a hand in their equivalent of the Department of Homeland Security. If not, how incompetent must the government be if they have to allow a third party to do the heavy lifting? In our world, even if the government is in the pockets of big corporations and lobbies, it's not like we're allowing PMCs to fight our wars for us. We still send in the national army. Or in the Mahoukaverse, they should be sending in their mage equivalent of spec ops, not high schoolers.

That's pretty much how the situation is. Magicians that are produced in Japan allow Japan to compete on an international level with other countries while preventing them from being annexed into another country, in this case, the Great Asian Alliance mentioned in this episode. The government isn't incompetent. They're making use of the "weapons" and "tools" they have, the magicians. In exchange, the top magician clans are given lots of privilege and influence. However, they can't hold political office and the jobs they're allowed to take are limited. Since the magician population is very small, the national army is still largely nonmagician. However, in areas of magic, the 10MC undoubtedly have the jurisdiction to act over any national agencies. Since this terrorism took place in a magic school, Juumonji and Saegusa had the power to take any action they deemed appropriate.
May 17, 2014 1:46 PM

Mar 2013
More overpowered bullshit from boring overpowered characters. Petition to just delete Tatsuya and Miyuki from existence.

Seriously though, the after credits scene, I laughed. Mysterious Suzaku lookalike from OP is just generic rival from generic rival school to embark on the most generic and cliché of all the shonen clichés to ever cliché: the fighting tournament. Holyyy shit.
May 17, 2014 1:47 PM
Aug 2012
LazyLuong said:
Tohka_Yatogami said:
Tsukasa's evil eyes did not affect Tatsuya. He and his army got owned by Tatsuya and others.

Anyway, I liked how Mibu said that she was in love with Tatsuya.

Yea, there was a way for the animator to display that scene when the blanche leader cast that spell, but they chose not too, the same way discarded the scene where blanche leader order Tatsuya to kill his sister. What Tatsuya magic did, was to erase the critical portion of the activation spell that causes mind control, thus turning the spell into a harmless light show.

Well they are probably going to explain his magic fully at the end of 9SC. But it would have better if they at least explained part of it in this episode.

But overall i really enjoyed this episode and the extra scenes were pretty cool. Maya definitely looks awesome and we get to see Hayama too. Crimson Prince and Cardinal George were introduced in a nice way too. The episodes keep getting better. Looking forward to 9SC........

May 17, 2014 1:48 PM

Aug 2007
Nice episode. The arc is finally over and gives great entrance for what is coming ahead. I can't wait to see where it goes next!
May 17, 2014 1:48 PM

Nov 2013
That was super boring and predictable. Will this show have something like crazy plot twists, not onesided action and good romance(without cockblocking sister) or I can drop it? :(
May 17, 2014 1:49 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
The Enrollment Arc is over? I thought it was never going to end LOL. I hope that now that the introductions are done, that things will get progressively better.

It seems that finally Tatsuya will get an opponent worth of his time. It's been pretty established by now that he's insanely powerful and skilful, so I'm assuming that the creators were trying to establish that anyone who even gives him a flesh wound took a course in badasss. So the Suzaku clone at the end must be a major player.

A character like Erika should be present in every show to eliminate misunderstandings and help obtuse characters realize each others feelings in a 5 minute conversation. Much grief would be spared
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

May 17, 2014 1:55 PM

May 2010
millie10468 said:
That's pretty much how the situation is. Magicians that are produced in Japan allow Japan to compete on an international level with other countries while preventing them from being annexed into another country, in this case, the Great Asian Alliance mentioned in this episode. The government isn't incompetent. They're making use of the "weapons" and "tools" they have, the magicians. In exchange, the top magician clans are given lots of privilege and influence. However, they can't hold political office and the jobs they're allowed to take are limited. Since the magician population is very small, the national army is still largely nonmagician. However, in areas of magic, the 10MC undoubtedly have the jurisdiction to act over any national agencies. Since this terrorism took place in a magic school, Juumonji and Saegusa had the power to take any action they deemed appropriate.

It took place in a magic high school owned and run by the government. If anything they should've stepped in and made the final calls. Just because you're influential doesn't make you suited for running your country's matters, especially if you're still kids, rich and powerful kids, but still kids. It's like allowing trust fund babies the key to the city. You don't do that.

All this really tells me is that the Mahoukaverse has a blatant disregard for authority and that if you're rich and powerful, you'll have your way, which, if you read this without context, is a bit how it works in our world. However, the difference is that whatever influential entities we have here are still bounded by established laws; they seem to be able to override the government at will.
wrenchbreadMay 17, 2014 2:00 PM
May 17, 2014 1:58 PM

Dec 2010
ChiyouDrinkmilk said:
This anime keeps getting worse after each episode. No explanation for critical parts of the plot and a high school kid is justified for cutting off someone's arm.

Terrorists aren't subject to the protections of the Geneva convention, as stated in previous episode they are allowed to as they please like blowing them up unless they are students.
May 17, 2014 1:59 PM
Apr 2014
I didn't expect that raid to end like it did but I'm not complaining. Kirihara is my new favorite character. Show no mercy!
May 17, 2014 2:01 PM

Sep 2008
Onto 2nd arc it is.

I won't comment on this episode except state this was by far worst and laziest villain I've seen since 2nd arc of SAO.
What good is having superpower (so to say) if you're complete retard.

Nevermind, people stated 1st arc is weakest so I'll just try to forget this one and start anew with next episode.

I still stand by my comment Tatsuya is complete badass being wasted on stupid enemies. Some challenge, something to make him think and react would be nice.
Let me compare it to another badass, Batman. Yes, Batman.
What would he be without Joker? When Joker makes a plan Bats has to think, react and adapt to prevent disaster.
Tatsuya just walks to unprepared enemy and bitchslaps him (not literaly).
Erika stated "well, that was anticlimactic" and those were my exact thoughts.

I spoke too much, sorry. Again, waiting for 2nd arc, hoping for some real excitement since this show has all the potential to develop into something great if it is given good antagonists and better development for Tatsuyas sister.

Speaking of which, many LN readers stated she's fine but I fail to see it so far.
In these 7 episodes she did nothing except for 10s of kicking asses of some unarmed, harmless enemies. She should've been given some development. Sure, she likes her brotherto crazy extents, but why?
Maybe it is explained in later arcs but trust me on this one, if it was explained, even slightly, why she clings onto him so much and hates mere mention of him speaking to other woman instead of hundreds of oniisama people wouldn't bash on her so much.
I find her annoying because she is not explained, she did nothing and she was just repeating how great Tatsuya is. Do something wih her screen time. Anything.

4/10 for this arc and that's not me hating this show, it's me saying this arc was slightly below average quality. I wanna see more and I hope it improves.
May 17, 2014 2:01 PM

Mar 2013
300 said:
Good thing the animation was top-tier.. because that arc was terrible. Hopefully what the LN readers said is true and the following material is actually good.

Really hope this is true
May 17, 2014 2:02 PM

Oct 2010
The resemblance between Masaki and Suzaku from Code Geass is ridiculous.
May 17, 2014 2:04 PM

Jul 2010
Eh so yeah, another 'ok' episode.Hopefully people are right, and it's going to get much better from now on.Im dying to know why Japan loves this series so much, because so far i didn't see anything THAT impressive.
Why do i get feeling that Miyuki and Tatsuya aren't blood related? i mean if they are then ok, but something feels off when they look at each other.
May 17, 2014 2:06 PM

Dec 2013
Overall, i'd give the first arc about 7/10

Pro's
+Very good soundtrack
+Brilliant animation
+Reasonable (and I say reasonable) plot

Cons
-Onii-sama x1000000000000000000 + Incest
-Alot of theoretical standing-about-and-explaining-which-can-go-on type episodes
-Characters still need more development

Good episode though, that sliced arm was enjoyable, not to mention the music overall. The evil guy was pointless though, a bit disappointing.
May 17, 2014 2:08 PM

Oct 2013
wrenchbread said:
millie10468 said:

It took place in a magic high school owned and run by the government. If anything they should've stepped in and made the final calls. Just because you're influential doesn't make you suited for running your country's matters, especially if you're still kids, rich and powerful kids, but still kids. It's like allowing trust fund babies the key to the city. You don't do that.

I'm not saying they were right to go in with guns ablazing. Mayumi did say something about leaving it to the authorities. For his own reasons, Tatsuya is the one who decided to go in. Juumonji also realized that other things would be settled if they handled it themselves (like the school's accountability) and decided to cover Tatsuya both combatwise and in the aftermath. Put simply, the government wasn't made aware of pertinent information, such as where the terrorists were holed up. They only knew that after the situation had been handled. Yes, it's the government's fault for giving the 10MC so much power that having descendants of just 2 of them in a school would merit this whole incident swept under the rugs but the benefits they get from the magicians is way more than them having the power to act in ways they deem appropriate. Plus, the government itself is not prepared to publicize anti-magician sentiments so the 10MC taking care of it for them would have been very welcome.
May 17, 2014 2:11 PM
Apr 2014
Marzano said:
A character like Erika should be present in every show to eliminate misunderstandings and help obtuse characters realize each others feelings in a 5 minute conversation. Much grief would be spared

^This, so hard. But who the hell is Suzaku?
LazyLuong said:
Swordnoob said:
Not a bad episode. I forgot yet again how he activated his magic under Cast Jammeing (even after reading the LN), but I'm just bad with remembering that kind of stuff :p I should reread it again.
Oh yeah, I think I remember now. Did he demonstrate his Gram Demolition here, or did he manage without? Anyway, I too was quite disappointed at the way they showed him incapacitate the terrorists; he didn't shoot anything, he simply dissolved their muscles.
"Though mountains crack, and ice will thaw

Though walls will fall, to tooth and claw

Though stars will fade, and shadow spread

On the heights we stood, with iron red.

And as they died, they killed the dead.
May 17, 2014 2:15 PM

Apr 2014
wrenchbread said:
millie10468 said:

All this really tells me is that the Mahoukaverse has a blatant disregard for authority and that if you're rich and powerful, you'll have your way, which, if you read this without context, is a bit how it works in our world. However, the difference is that whatever influential entities we have here are still bounded by established laws; they seem to be able to override the government at will.

Not to mention all of them are under 18....what was tatsuya's age again?15?16? Seems so unrealistic the way they handled everything.
May 17, 2014 2:22 PM

Apr 2008
Now onto the Nine Schools Competition. Can't wait for this one to begin.

May 17, 2014 2:32 PM

Apr 2012
this anime has taken siscon/bro-con to a whole new level.

As an older brother to my loli imouto, I don't think watching this anime is a good influence on me.
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱
May 17, 2014 2:37 PM

Nov 2007
Whew. Seven episodes titled ENROLLMENT is finally over! Can't wait for the new episode title!

Blood splattered all over the place! How many chicken did Masaki shoot down in that room?!
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
May 17, 2014 2:37 PM

Jul 2010
That crimson prince guy seems full of himself.
So Mibu and Kirihara got together, still that hand chopping!
I enjoyed the car breaking the gates.
Tatsuya completely disabled any attacks coming at him.
I liked how even when someone was going to attack Tatsuya, he didn't really react, that sibling bond.
Nice seeing how Tatsuya gave relief to Miyuki on that she didn't kill anyone.
The Yotsuba family, they don't seem nice at all.
Nice to see the sibling bond, holding hands >.< Some new antagonist, and I wonder who is this Kazama guy.
May 17, 2014 2:39 PM

Aug 2013
Madara31 said:

Hahahah yeah, and what's your opinion on the failed Code Geass villain? LOL

Anyway this is the anime i am enjoying most this season, and this episode has been great tbh. So Miyuki can't control herself? Is that what that woman meant with "Tatsuya being her guardian"?

Raised to 9/10. Too bad I can't catch up the anime in the novel, they progress too quick.
May 17, 2014 2:41 PM

Nov 2007
Madara31 said:

I mentioned it in the first episode after seeing the opening. But he can't be a bigger m****r f****r than Suzaku, I can say that without having to think twice.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
May 17, 2014 2:43 PM

Dec 2013
Finally we get to the better arcs :)
That hand chopping though. I expected Tatsuya or someone to intervene, but he was too much of a badass to be stopped
May 17, 2014 2:47 PM

Jun 2013
Cool episode! So much blood everywhere... I love it!

Looks like we'll be seeing Suzaku soon!
May 17, 2014 2:58 PM

Jul 2012
That arc was kind of lame. I'm sick of Tatsuya's personality at this point. No one is really that likable either. Hoping the new arc is better but the Crimson Prince seems like another loser to add to the cast.
May 17, 2014 3:07 PM

Dec 2013
In the end, the enrollment arc served it's purpose, even if it left a plethora of monologues and a bag full of information unsaid. Hopefully they'll get back to some of that info in the coming arc.

Maya appeared already? Wait, what?!?! WHY? Was that even necessary?

Masaki was probably referenced off Suzaku in appearance. I really hate that arrogant attitude of his though, it doesn't fit that innocent, well-behaved face of his at all. I can't wait till he comes up against Tatsuya. Now there's a scene that I want to come up as soon as chronologically possible. That bloody room though, hahaha, if I hadn't known better I would have thought he slaughtered a T-Rex or something, that blood was splattered all over the ceiling!

I gotta say I really do feel for Tatsuya. As long as he is the genius and OP guy that he is, he'll never find any girl suitable for himself (no, Miyuki will NEVER count in my books). Must be lonely to be so damn powerful that it scares away all the chicks.

trillo69 said:
Madara31 said:

Hahahah yeah, and what's your opinion on the failed Code Geass villain? LOL

Anyway this is the anime i am enjoying most this season, and this episode has been great tbh. So Miyuki can't control herself? Is that what that woman meant with "Tatsuya being her guardian"?

Raised to 9/10. Too bad I can't catch up the anime in the novel, they progress too quick.

The "Tatsuya being Miyuki's guardian" thingy

I really can't wait till the next episode comes out. considering that the anime has nearly caught up to the manga already, I can't wait to see how they animate all the other stuff that has only been described in words in the LNs.
HESTIAAPPROVES
May 17, 2014 3:10 PM
Nov 2010
Somehow this episode is so much better than the previous ones.
The animation of action sequence is still true to MADHOUSE standards. However, I'm most surprised with how much better the writing and directing are compared to the previous ones. Did they change staffs or something? An example is when Miyuki is done with her spell, and she realized what she's done (around 7:35). This scene is superb since they only changed her pupils but the audience would just know what's going on there.
I was really annoyed at how they put some piano soundtracks in the previous episodes, but this episode has some fitting soundtracks. If they keep this up, MADHOUSE might be able to save this series from being another bad LN adaption.
And yeah the bullets and blood spills in this episode are the "true" image of MADHOUSE anime.

EDIT: I find the opening song (extremely) bad, especially the Engrish parts (haters gonna hate, I know). I hope they change it for the new arc.
jindo90May 17, 2014 3:17 PM
May 17, 2014 3:16 PM

Feb 2012
Hmmm....yep ill probably never be able to stand tatsuya and his retarded imouto. Both are shallow, uninteresting and overall just dull.
IciBurnMay 17, 2014 3:27 PM
May 17, 2014 3:22 PM

May 2014
Joshua1207 said:
That arc was kind of lame. I'm sick of Tatsuya's personality at this point. No one is really that likable either. Hoping the new arc is better but the Crimson Prince seems like another loser to add to the cast.

The prince is a bit OP too,just wait for him to show his power :)
Swordnoob said:
Marzano said:

^This, so hard. But who the hell is Suzaku?
LazyLuong said:
Swordnoob said:
Not a bad episode. I forgot yet again how he activated his magic under Cast Jammeing (even after reading the LN), but I'm just bad with remembering that kind of stuff :p I should reread it again.
Oh yeah, I think I remember now. Did he demonstrate his Gram Demolition here, or did he manage without? Anyway, I too was quite disappointed at the way they showed him incapacitate the terrorists; he didn't shoot anything, he simply dissolved their muscles.

for what Tatsuya used
May 17, 2014 3:45 PM

Dec 2010
This was the best episode for sure, they went as far as showing Maya already along with Ichijou in the end.
May 17, 2014 3:49 PM

Feb 2014
Good episode finally some bloody action.
Tatsuya is way too powerful cant say there is someone on his level and that Blanche leader was too stupid to live relying on only one technique and after failing panicking and running like a little pussy.
I really expected those terrorists to be dangerous but they were more like Team Rocket.
At least sharp eyes did a little slicing Metal Gear Rising style and cutting that arm was damn cool.
Its funny how Erika was teasing Kendo girl and Sharp eyes who apparently is just back up love considering she probably will end up with Leo.
Oh and how I hate Miyukis constant onichan spouting has she no other purpose than being incest material ?
LastIllusionMay 17, 2014 4:33 PM
May 17, 2014 3:52 PM

Apr 2013
Rofl i remember reading this. It was so funny :)

May 17, 2014 4:07 PM

Jan 2009
1. Hand chopping was overkill; whole ep was straightforward & predictable.

2. Always enjoy miyuki x tatsuya dialogue; mibu's boring compared to the main duo

6/10
俺の命を百合に。
Currently translating Sono Hanabira ni Kuchizuke o - Atelier no Koibito-tachi -- when bored.
Above visual novel is 22.22% translated with progress uploaded to youtube; if you're into yuri VNs, check out my channel.
May 17, 2014 4:07 PM
Luny Tunes

Feb 2012
It's good that they didn't censor any blood. These Blanche members have been captured although it felt a bit anticlimactic for me. Yay for Mibu and Kirihara! x3

Can't wait to see the 9 Schools Competition arc animated next!
May 17, 2014 4:18 PM

Apr 2014
Interesting little scene at the end there, Suzaku crimson prince Masaki appears. Nine schools competition arc will begin next
May 17, 2014 4:24 PM

Apr 2013
shanimebib said:
Madara31 said:

I mentioned it in the first episode after seeing the opening. But he can't be a bigger m****r f****r than Suzaku, I can say that without having to think twice.
suzaku was def the worst bitch made villain in anime history
May 17, 2014 4:34 PM

Nov 2013
REKT
May 17, 2014 4:35 PM

Jun 2013
Cool. Suzaku will be in the next episode lol
May 17, 2014 5:02 PM
Jul 2010
It's really annoying how they skipped all the explantion about Tatsuya's magic, and just as important, I love how the author EXPLICITLY stated over and over and over again in the LN that Tatsuya's decomposition magic has absolutely NO SOUND, yet ofc as I expected they just couldn't help themselves and added sound effects to it.
May 17, 2014 5:11 PM

Nov 2012
A rather meh episode.

Quite the bloody debut on part by Masaki.Can't wait to see when he first encounters Tatsuya.

And finally the 9 school competition arc is going to start next episode.Haven't read that far into the novels yet but pretty hyped to see it animated.
ThreePointer said:
Cool. Suzaku will be in the next episode lol
Thought the same thing when I first saw him too.
May 17, 2014 5:34 PM

May 2010
Glad I'm not the only one who saw the Suzaku resemblance lol.

Good episode I guess. Kinda surprised when Kirihara cut off that guy's arm though.
May 17, 2014 5:49 PM
Oct 2013
Maya look sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucking awesome lol too bad she doesn't really show up at all till like vol 8 -.-
May 17, 2014 6:47 PM

Jan 2011
thank god that's finally over hope what everyone that was saying the next arcs stuff gets good is true,i really wanna know what masaki shot in that training room that could contain so much blood all i saw were bits of black cloth were they bloody balloons lol?.

also i seriously wonder how Saori feels saying brother during almost every sentience
May 17, 2014 6:56 PM

Jul 2013
Daaaamn, Miyuki's Niflheim. That shit is scary as.
All dat blood when Kirihara cut off his arm, daamn.

Oh sweet, Maya showed up. :D Her voice. omg yess.
And Hayama showed up too :D
Kirihara x Mibu :D
HAHA Erika XD Gotta love her.
LOL Tatsuya gives the final blow XD

Masaki and George make their debut!

And now on to the 9SC arc! :D
May 17, 2014 6:58 PM
May 2014
to be honest i really wanted mibu to continue as one of tatsuyas harem but sadly she now has developed feelings for kirihara. did disappoint me a little bit but may as well go with the anime flow.
May 17, 2014 7:18 PM

May 2013
Oh, there's blood in this anime as well. Kirihara infuriated slices an arm. Tatsuya, the cool guy, strikes again. He's getting popular with the girls.
New characters next episode. Looks like Tatsuya has a challenge waiting for him.

New arc next week. Looking forward to it.
May 17, 2014 7:32 PM

Jul 2012
The rival to Shiba has finally been introduced.

Great episode!!!
May 17, 2014 8:04 PM
Apr 2014
yes finally we can get out of this arc and its complainers that still bother to watch and waiting for monolith code which is pretty amazing

onward to the next arc
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 30, 2014

248 by Fortunekeks »»
May 15, 6:20 PM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jun 7, 2014

248 by otakuweek »»
May 13, 6:42 PM

» Sooo is there incest in this anime ? (may contain spoilers )

Zyro_Plaze - Apr 26

33 by Champiggy »»
May 3, 8:12 AM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 27, 2014

457 by ExSant0 »»
Apr 19, 2:43 PM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 3, 2014

308 by taifd77 »»
Apr 6, 8:00 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.