Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 19, 2009 9:23 AM

Aug 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I thought he wouldn't use the doll. I wonder what will happen if the user didn't use the doll.

Seems to be that the detective and his daughter are getting close to revealing the truth of this Jigoku Shouji thing.
Nov 2, 2009 7:50 AM

Apr 2009
I was really hoping he wouldn't use the doll. I felt bad for him.

✾✾✾ if only we could be reborn ✾✾✾
Nov 22, 2009 4:48 PM
Nov 2009
now that there seems to be a story to this anime rather then Ep stories i find mysrlf alot more intregged
Dec 28, 2009 3:11 PM

Nov 2009
wow stupid dude shouldn't had pulled the string!!!
Mar 20, 2010 6:56 AM

Aug 2008
May 2, 2010 2:24 AM

Jun 2009
Yeah, the introduction of Shibata has made things alot more interesting.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jul 8, 2010 4:33 AM

Dec 2009
I feel bad for the nosy guy , he just fails every time he tries...
Dec 26, 2010 7:35 PM

Jan 2010
he pulled the string xD
Feb 16, 2011 3:21 AM

Oct 2008
Meh.
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Apr 13, 2011 4:15 AM
May 2010
Michio Yui is really dumb...whom to blame? Of course the murderer.... horror films, aggressive manga and games, etc. Is that not crazy enough? It shows enough evidence that boy needs to be inside the mental hospital. Second, it will be perfectly logical to think that murderers are the ones who take actions. Obviously, they are responsible for people's death. They could have not chosen to kill, but they did not. It is like inception, seeds are planted into people's minds, and if they decide to cooperate it is up to them. I seriously do not like people can just get away by saying "O... my mind went into trauma" "O.. I did not know what was going on in my mind" etc. What a total BS!!! STOP beating around the bush please!!!!!! Why is it that hard to admit that YOU ARE THE ONE who did the murder? I don't understand!!
Anyways... I laughed in the end about an idiot crying out to his mom "Mom, where am I" "That's what my mom told me." Is he a 3 year old baby?
I am kind of disappointed about the overall direction this anime is going.. is it saying that revenge is good? I don't think so. I think that people are abusing this "revenge" power, seriously. It prevents humans from thinking logically. They just do whatever they want. They even gain happiness by taking revenge. What a world deep rooted in sins!!
jimmy2027Apr 13, 2011 4:33 AM
May 12, 2011 3:40 PM

Mar 2010
this was a boring ep
Jun 10, 2011 10:12 PM

Feb 2010
Am I the only one who is thinking "finally, it was a guy that pulled the string!"? I mean, that's only what, the second time?
It's not breaking in if the door is unlocked.

Jan 16, 2012 6:24 AM

Dec 2011
Aniki1990 said:
Am I the only one who is thinking "finally, it was a guy that pulled the string!"? I mean, that's only what, the second time?

Now that you mention it, I think you're absolutely right! Nice catch!

Another great episode; 5/5
Signature:
Jan 24, 2012 12:08 PM

Jan 2012
Im not sure I like Shibata, as others have said he seems abit nosy, and he just totally fails whenever he tries to catch Ai, or do anything, but at least its a plot, and its not just your average episodic anime, or at least i hope not, just hope they can do something intresting with it...
Aug 5, 2012 11:51 AM

May 2012
It's getting quite interesting! The global story is developing and that's great :D
Sep 14, 2012 6:47 PM

Apr 2011
Plot father & daughter continues on! Good!

Gonna hold out hope, a guy pulling the string on a girl. ROFL
Jun 15, 2013 6:34 PM

Jun 2012
I keep thinking some people are sent to hell for idiotic reasons like people can't solve anything any more but oh well good episode anyway.
"When a flat-chested loli hugs you, she holds you closer to her heart"
"--I am a single bullet. It has no heart. Therefore, it does not think. It just flies straight towards its target."
Aug 9, 2013 1:41 PM
Jun 2013
I didn't get what happened. Alot of the men look alike... Why did he pull the string? What did that guy do to him to deserve it? I wasn't really concentrating, so someone please explain? :/
Sep 21, 2013 1:27 AM

Aug 2008
Kawaii_KarinaB said:
I didn't get what happened. Alot of the men look alike... Why did he pull the string? What did that guy do to him to deserve it? I wasn't really concentrating, so someone please explain? :/

He wanted revenge because that journalist guy wrote a false news story about how he was a drug addict. But because his family started getting a lot of attention from reporters etc, they happened to uncover the fact that his father was taking bribes. Because of that, they lost all their wealth and reputation. I don't remember what else happened, but it was because the guy wrote that article. He used the son to get the truth on the father.
Apr 26, 2014 7:50 PM

Jun 2011
darkerealm said:
I don't like Shibata. He's too nosy.

He is starting to get on my nerve too, especially when he says thing like "I don't know why you are doing this, but you are wrong." to Jigoku Shoujo when he barely know about them.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
May 23, 2014 3:37 PM

Dec 2013
I like the way this anime blends the supernatural with modern life. It's quite consistent.
"Me ni wa me wo, ha ni wa ha wo, aku ni wa aku wo."
Jul 1, 2014 3:43 AM
Dec 2013
Why is Shibata trying to find Jigoku Shojo in the first place? :P
Oct 2, 2014 11:13 PM

Nov 2013
Kinda wish Kataoka didn't pull the string. It would have made this episode more interesting if they tried to frame Inagaki.

Oct 2, 2014 11:14 PM

Nov 2013
AlinaKitti said:
What do you think? It's causing many people to die and be sent to hell when it's almost always the wrong way to solve a issue.

Oct 2, 2014 11:18 PM

Nov 2013
I hope there's an episode that shows the negative effects of the covenant because it seems like almost always the person's life gets better after their victim is sent to hell. It would be interesting to see their life turn get worse after sending their victim to hell.

Oct 8, 2014 11:35 AM

Jan 2014
It's getting interesting!
Dec 24, 2014 1:02 AM

Aug 2013
That guy sure knows how to stick his nose into other people's business.
Doesn't he have anything else better to do ?
Ai's eyes... are so dazzling.
Feb 2, 2015 1:21 AM
May 2013
Shibata is really annoying T_T I guess there is a plot now but he could have been more likeable.
Jun 10, 2015 9:31 AM

Aug 2013
Finally good episode.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Mar 20, 2016 10:49 AM

Mar 2015
Well.. the journalist is getting too deep here

Sep 21, 2016 5:13 AM

Mar 2012
Are people really hating on Shibata for being the only person in this show with common sense?? The guy actually has a brain and understands that people are taking going to hell for granted, most of the time because they're too full of vengeful hate to think properly. Also, how is he being nosy? That's like calling someone trying to stop a murder from happening nosy ಠ_ಠ

This is a good example of people hating on a "good guy" just because his/her actions are interfering with the main characters'. Ai's group IS wrong. Several of the people who got sent to hell were either just assholes or kids with issues (mini assholes). Both them and the "good" people who sent them to hell are all going to be tortured for eternity because of the Hell Link/Ai's group.

These guys are demons whose job is to collect souls people. They could give two shits about the person getting sent to hell or the person who makes the request. Why do you think Ai tries to sugarcoat it when she tells them that they'll go to hell as well by saying "Though it's only after you die :D" or the fact that the Ren and Onna got pissed off when Shibata tried to talk the guy out of pulling the thread?

Can't believe isn't obvious enough.
Dec 30, 2016 8:38 PM

Sep 2013
The reporter is getting closer to figuring out the whole Hell Girl thing. This episode still had the same basic format as previous ones, but at least we have a couple of recurring characters with an ongoing storyline.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Mar 12, 2017 6:54 PM

May 2015
It's kinda Shibata's job to be nosy, he's a journalist after all. Also he has a personal reason to investigate Ai, as his daughter has a connection to her.
May 26, 2017 1:30 PM

May 2015
Crap. He fucked up.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Jun 9, 2017 7:37 PM

Jan 2015
finally a very intriguing episode. The case was pretty sad, he really wanted him to suffer so Hell girl is the way. Looks like Hell guys dont like Hajime interfering and Hajime tries to dig furrther and further.
Oct 30, 2017 12:01 PM

Sep 2012
oh Hajime u will never save any1 if u don't understand the victim's heart's
Dec 6, 2017 8:26 AM

Oct 2015
Raulzus said:
AlinaKitti said:
What do you think? It's causing many people to die and be sent to hell when it's almost always the wrong way to solve a issue.

Common sense. But.. "How dare someone stand in the way of the main character?! only main characters get to preach justice!!!"
Feb 17, 2019 4:44 PM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
really sad case. I was hoping as well that he woukd not pull the string :/

Jun 14, 2019 2:10 AM

Sep 2012
Mizore951 said:
wow stupid dude shouldn't had pulled the string!!!

think about hes words there is truth in it, what he did can never be fixed even when truth comes out, cause he and hes father have stain on them new hes old partners won't work with him and he can't get new they will be still looked on with suspicion, their lives are fuked specially in jap society, so i don't judge wont call it stupid its hes burden to bear 

WitchyCat said:

for1 its mystery to solve and second he wants to stop it what she is doing (sins the victims souls who make the contract also end up in hell, 2high of a price to pay) its so obvious even when i so it first time years ago

Raulzus said:
I hope there's an episode that shows the negative effects of the covenant because it seems like almost always the person's life gets better after their victim is sent to hell. It would be interesting to see their life turn get worse after sending their victim to hell.

like where crazy stalker sends innocent nurse to hell in hopes being with her there later, that was good example

Avenger-senpai said:
Are people really hating on Shibata for being the only person in this show with common sense?? The guy actually has a brain and understands that people are taking going to hell for granted, most of the time because they're too full of vengeful hate to think properly. Also, how is he being nosy? That's like calling someone trying to stop a murder from happening nosy ಠ_ಠ

This is a good example of people hating on a "good guy" just because his/her actions are interfering with the main characters'. Ai's group IS wrong. Several of the people who got sent to hell were either just assholes or kids with issues (mini assholes). Both them and the "good" people who sent them to hell are all going to be tortured for eternity because of the Hell Link/Ai's group.

These guys are demons whose job is to collect souls people. They could give two shits about the person getting sent to hell or the person who makes the request. Why do you think Ai tries to sugarcoat it when she tells them that they'll go to hell as well by saying "Though it's only after you die :D" or the fact that the Ren and Onna got pissed off when Shibata tried to talk the guy out of pulling the thread?

Can't believe isn't obvious enough.

i say this if there is ying there must be yang to

shivata and emma are ying and yang both are needed for balance, i did not read ur post just stated how i see it

the haters should think about my words hard

CtrlZED said:
It's kinda Shibata's job to be nosy, he's a journalist after all. Also he has a personal reason to investigate Ai, as his daughter has a connection to her.

this + what i said ying and yang above
Sugram22May 27, 2023 2:53 AM
Jan 8, 2020 8:23 PM

Jul 2008
Not much punishment shown this time. We need to get to why Tsugumi is connected to all of this.
May 1, 2020 6:47 PM

May 2014
I've been rewatching this series and this episode really reminded me why i started to dislike this anime from the point Hajime & Tsugimi got introduced.

That is where the simple stories with satisfying conclusions end and the annoying ass investigations by a 10 year old that looks like an alien and a father that picks up used fucking cigarettes to see if he can still smoke some of it (seriously who the fuck even does that??) starts.

I know Hell girl herself needed to have some story with her and an explanation with it, aswell as the side characters working with her, but i honestly think trying to explain that turned this to shit.
Jan 10, 2021 1:47 PM

Mar 2019
So he did use the doll after all. I still dont know if it would have worked out without it.
Come on man,where is that Noragami season 3 masterpiece.We want it, Bones!

May 18, 2021 7:39 PM
Apr 2021
These video players are all f***ed up.

I don't know but I love it when Hell Girl says "Care to give death a try?"
Nov 11, 2022 10:56 AM
Dec 2017
you know you done fucked up right?

is the best example for this episode as well as many others too lol.

Nov 29, 2022 7:28 PM

Oct 2013
He really went ahead and said, "F*ck it, I'm pulling it anyway" lul. Well, nice episode, and interesting to see that guy going in closer to try to catch up to Hell Girl, but him saying, "she has to be stopped". What's he gonna do, try to arrest a demon?
"We brawlers are sustained by willpower! Even when mocked as reckless and crazy!"
Mar 10, 2023 12:28 PM

Sep 2017
That was just sad. The kid made a really hasty and stupid decision.
خ
Mar 29, 11:23 AM

Jun 2020
I dont understand why people hate Shibata, I mostly (not every episode but still) understand why people pull the strings most of them on very strong emotions and I really think most if them don’t fully understand what they doing with this most of them were kids or teenagers who in middle school or highschool which makes it more sad. But neither Shobata or Emma is wrong for me Emma gives a options but its your choice to pull it or not but the problem as I say most people not in their right mind in that point Shibata in other hand can give them a different look at the situation and try to find another solution without going to hell. He actually give a solution in this episode, the boy wanted the other way which don’t agree this time because saving his dad from jail kind of look better then revenge and not forget that this man daughters reacts to all of it so like it’s normal that he want to know what is going on

More topics from this board

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Chilli-Kun - Jan 31, 2008

79 by JoaoPedru »»
Yesterday, 9:36 PM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

B25Mitch - Nov 2, 2008

72 by JoaoPedru »»
Yesterday, 8:57 PM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

redbuzz - May 8, 2008

69 by kirA_-_ »»
Mar 30, 5:21 PM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Predseln - Apr 16, 2009

70 by kirA_-_ »»
Mar 30, 3:23 PM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

sugarplumfairy - Oct 2, 2008

91 by kirA_-_ »»
Mar 14, 4:17 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.