Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
No Game No Life (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
May 7, 2014 4:52 PM

Jun 2008
One thing I totally forgot, is that this was the only way, I saw, that Madhouse could clear the world-setting part on the "lacking resources" topic.
Also, this was the only time.
Now, if you think about it, Steph is actually a royal. For even her to be lacking in goods such as sugar should say a lot to people.
May 7, 2014 4:52 PM

Aug 2008
Takuan_Soho said:
guyklc said:
Hmm... this series was great with that chess match, but ever since then, it's been going downhill.

Humm, in other words since last episode. The chess episode ended last week. Your "downhill" was less than one episode long (since they introduced the new antagonist this episode)

If effect you're complaining that a transition episode was, well, transitioning.

The chess match ended early last episode, so this is more like an episode and a half. Also, not much happened here, really.

Pritorian said:
So, abilities of warbeasts, situation with nobles, lack of knowledge sources and presence of higher being, characters development... nothing new?

We already knew there were other races in this new world. Nobles and other officials have been preventing reforms as we've seen from the second episode or so. Higher being? The "God" was in the first episode. Character development? I didn't see it. Had the siblings lost against Steph and actually became decent human beings, I would have agreed with you.

So far... nope, afraid not.

Thanks, person who gave me this on another site a long time ago, lol.
May 7, 2014 4:59 PM
Oct 2012
guyklc said:
The chess match ended early last episode, so this is more like an episode and a half. Also, not much happened here, really.

Yeah, the last half of last episode had nothing, outside of their being declared King and Queen, a great speech, declaring war on 15 other races, and finding out the real reason the God brought them here.

Absolutely nothing.

None So Blind As Those Who Will Not See.....

There, an idiom, bible reference, and Swift reference all in one.
May 7, 2014 5:05 PM

Jun 2008
guyklc said:
We already knew there were other races in this new world. Nobles and other officials have been preventing reforms as we've seen from the second episode or so. Higher being? The "God" was in the first episode. Character development? I didn't see it. Had the siblings lost against Steph and actually became decent human beings, I would have agreed with you.

So far... nope, afraid not.

The "higher being" they are talking about is the Old Deus (basically a fallen god that survived the war for supreme godhood)
When did ANY noble, or official oppose their reforms? Or any reforms for that matter?
And while there wasn't any character developement, this episode helped reinforce, or set the notion, that [ ] don't go and win games, rather they win the game, and appear on the scene to make it official.
Also, a solid direction has been laid down for future episodes.
May 7, 2014 5:06 PM

Aug 2008
Takuan_Soho said:
guyklc said:

Yeah, the last half of last episode had nothing, outside of their being declared King and Queen, a great speech, declaring war on 15 other races, and finding out the real reason the God brought them here.

Absolutely nothing.

None So Blind As Those Who Will Not See.....

There, an idiom, bible reference, and Swift reference all in one.

Did I say absolutely nothing happened? The only thing the last half of the previous episode that was unexpected was the sudden declaration of war. Otherwise, them becoming kings and "God's" plan were predictable and expected to happen. You're reading way too much into what I'm saying.

May 7, 2014 6:03 PM

Jul 2012
Well the angel girl at the end looks like she might put up a good fight.

Great episode!!!
May 7, 2014 6:11 PM

Sep 2013
Did everybody miss Stephs' character development or something? yes? okay then :(
http://puu.sh/8CSZL.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ZYVrraV.gif
May 7, 2014 6:20 PM
Oct 2012
guyklc said:
Did I say absolutely nothing happened? The only thing the last half of the previous episode
that was unexpected was the sudden declaration of war. Otherwise, them becoming kings and "God's" plan were predictable and expected to happen. You're reading way too much into what I'm saying.

LOL, if you don't want people to "read" you, then why do you post? And don't try to backtrack by saying there is a difference between "not much" and "none". Only middle school students play that game (it allows you to write off all the examples people give you without having to argue your position because you already conceded that "something" happened but can always claim "oh that wasn't 'much').

Also it doesn't matter that it was "predictable", the sun always rises in the west, but something still happens when it does. Yes, we knew they were going to be Kings, but it still had to happen.

Imagine if they skipped everything we "know" is going to happen. I mean we know they are going to beat the "angel", so why not skip that. We "know" that they will beat all the other races (because we know ultimately they will fight Tet), so why not skip that, we know that they are going to beat Tet at the end, so we don't even need to watch it.

Story isn't about "what" happens, its about "how" things happen.
May 7, 2014 6:22 PM

Feb 2014
I love the soundtrack that plays in the first minute with the One True God Tet.
May 7, 2014 6:28 PM

Feb 2009
Takuan_Soho said:
xxdeathx said:
Steph is too cute and Shiro knows that, that's why she's taking her jealousy out on Steph haha.

And she knows that Sora is falling in love with Steph as well, and is very afraid of it (and I would say it is fear more so than jealousy - she is thinking she will be left alone and of course both have an extreme mental hangup concerning that). The animation has depicted that very well, dropping some pretty sly hints that there is more going on in Sora's head than plain lust.
It's jealousy alright and there's more to it than that.
Take note of what Steph initially offered as a bet to Sora in this episode. Then think of Sora's "favor" back in episode 2 and how she was bothered so much about it in the same episode. Now why didn't she want to call that favor off in a game and instead thought of making him a decent person as a bet.
Shiro is right, Sora doesn't understand a woman's heart at all, hence his confusion to Shiro's behavior.
May 7, 2014 6:42 PM

Aug 2008
Takuan_Soho said:
guyklc said:
Did I say absolutely nothing happened? The only thing the last half of the previous episode
that was unexpected was the sudden declaration of war. Otherwise, them becoming kings and "God's" plan were predictable and expected to happen. You're reading way too much into what I'm saying.

LOL, if you don't want people to "read" you, then why do you post? And don't try to backtrack by saying there is a difference between "not much" and "none". Only middle school students play that game (it allows you to write off all the examples people give you without having to argue your position because you already conceded that "something" happened but can always claim "oh that wasn't 'much').

Please quote me when I said "nothing", because my previous posts said "not much". And really, descending into ad hominem already?

Takuan_Soho said:
Also it doesn't matter that it was "predictable", the sun always rises in the west, but something still happens when it does. Yes, we knew they were going to be Kings, but it still had to happen.

Imagine if they skipped everything we "know" is going to happen. I mean we know they are going to beat the "angel", so why not skip that. We "know" that they will beat all the other races (because we know ultimately they will fight Tet), so why not skip that, we know that they are going to beat Tet at the end, so we don't even need to watch it.

Story isn't about "what" happens, its about "how" things happen.

The sun rises in the west? Well, that's new to me.

Also, once again, you are blatantly exaggerating everything I've said. Please quote me when I said they should skip over the obvious. It is my claim that the pace since the chess match has been slow (but that might change). I stand by what I've said; you ARE reading too much into it. And if you can't tell the difference between reading my posts and reading too much into my posts, then I'm not going to bother.

May 7, 2014 6:45 PM
Oct 2012
belatkuro said:
It's jealousy alright and there's more to it than that.
Take note of what Steph initially offered as a bet to Sora in this episode. Then think of Sora's "favor" back in episode 2 and how she was bothered so much about it in the same episode. Now why didn't she want to call that favor off in a game and instead thought of making him a decent person as a bet.
Shiro is right, Sora doesn't understand a woman's heart at all, hence his confusion to Shiro's behavior.

Oh there is no doubt that Steph has fallen for Sora, but that isn't what is bothering Shiro. After all it was only with Shiro's help that he got to cop a feel for the first time in his life. Since Shiro is not sexually interested in Sora, she isn't particularly upset if Sora wanted to do Steph (she even said back in 2 that such urges were healthy). And this episode the reason Shiro didn't want Sora to lose with Steph isn't that she is worried about him being fulfilled, but rather because Blank can't lose.

No, Shiro is mad because Sora has started to change, he is falling in love with Steph as well. This was hinted when Sora complimented Steph's cookies to Sora, Blank didn't care about food (for them caloriemate was fancy (in 1)) or other people, but Sora is caring and thinking more and more about Steph (including feeling sorry for her when Shiro went on the warpath) and that is what is bothering Shiro.
May 7, 2014 6:46 PM

Dec 2013
Though these episodes where nothing happens are inevitable, this was still good
May 7, 2014 6:49 PM

Jul 2012
Regarding the pace, I think it's fine the way it is. It's like we're trying to force the pace of an action/shounen anime into NGNL. W/c I don't think will end well. I'm one of the few people who actually think world/character building in a series is enjoyable so...

As Takuan said it's not the goal that matters. It's the journey. It's the "how", not the "what". Abridged story exposition isn't always good for a series.
May 7, 2014 6:55 PM
Jul 2018
Poor Steph, she lose to Shiro and Sora every game and how she being treated like a dog.
May 7, 2014 7:02 PM
Mar 2014
It's her own fault for being such a Steph.
May 7, 2014 7:09 PM
Oct 2012
guyklc said:
[Please quote me when I said "nothing", because my previous posts said "not much". And really, descending into ad hominem already?

Let's see. 1) Argue semantics, 2) Accuse people of ad hominem (which by the way I didn't I said the tactic of arguing semantics is childish), 3) Point to something incidental (BTW east and west are reversed in this show, so the sun does rise in the west here (as shown in either episode 1 or 2)), 4) Cry and take your football home.

Yep, sums your argumentation style up pretty nicely.

As for "exaggerating". Seriously, grow up. What do you expect. You come here saying how boring everything is and "not much" is happening. Then when people point out that many things did happen, you say "oh, I never said NOTHING happened, but that isn't "much". So a second person gives you more things that happened (I could also include two examples illustrating how to win in this world) and your are still saying "oh that isn't MUCH".

That is a childish method of arguing, you can move the goal posts as much as you want by claiming that nothing is "significant", and when someone points this out to you you pout like a child.

Here's a hint, if you want to be treated as an adult, act like one, argue like one. If you think the show is going downhill explain why and "adult up" by being able to argue your points. Otherwise, you reap what you sow.

dirtyuncle said:
It's her own fault for being such a Steph.

I liked how he had to switch to "imaginary numbers" to be able to calculate the likelihood of her being able to defeat him (so he can be fulfilled).

Even if "nothing happened" there were several good lines in this episode that made it fun to watch. Plus we got two good examples of "thinking outside the box" (throwing the rocks and substituting a new deck) that helps to set up what we should be thinking of when we watch.

Though, to be honest, there is no way that counting cards would have worked as described in that game. Counting cards DOES work, there is a great book and movie showing how it works (and Las Vegas has people monitoring against people doing this), however it wouldn't have allowed him to win specifically by a Blackjack (and this was essential for him to trigger his 2.5 rule) on the last hand. At best it would have given him a 50/50 chance and ONLY if he specifically raised the bet for that hand (which may be how it happened in the novel - the animation may have needed to simplify which is fine).

A more rational explanation is that he, similar to the first episode, palmed cards from the deck he won in the first episode, and used a bull answer to distract the person from realizing he just plain cheated.

I am hoping for this explanation because if true it would make this game 5 times more awesome. It makes all of Sora's answers to Steph deliberate "smoke and mirrors" instead of explanation. And of course that is the first rule of magic, keep people focused on anything but what is actually in your hand.

Mod Edit: Merged posts; please use the edit button.
julyanMay 8, 2014 6:42 AM
May 7, 2014 7:28 PM
Apr 2013
I normally don't enjoy comedies and fanservice but I think they are both fine in this. The comedy is nearly a hit every time and the fanservice doesn't seem out of place. When fanservice is out of place I hate it (Kill la Kill but i did love the rest of the anime) but it makes perfect sense in this anime and goes well with it. This clearly isn't a serious anime so anybody expecting that should realize that
May 7, 2014 7:29 PM

Jan 2013
Another good episode, nice game mechanics. I want to see what all the other races look like.
May 7, 2014 7:47 PM

May 2013
Steph lost a game and now she's their dog for a day. Haha. She even lost a couple of times at the price of her clothing. That was mean, but I liked it. All of her lost clothes where taken by Shiro. She looked even more cute with those on.

There's a new girl next episode! It's obvious that Blank will have to defeat her. An angel looking one.
May 7, 2014 7:49 PM

Dec 2013
I'm really loving this series, another great episode.

As for Sora's explanations to Steph, I don't think he's really giving her the full explanation. Like Takuan said, the first rule of magic is misdirection. Prestidigitation, or Sleight of Hand. Keep your audience, or target, focused on the left hand while the right pulls the switch. Metaphorically speaking.

As the series draws closer to it's end we'll probably see more of what's really going on. You never give away your all tricks, and you never reveal more than is necessary to shut up the ones questioning you.

I'd say this one is a solid 8/10 simply because it was more fun than plot development.
Odds are I'm not going to find my way back to a thread after my first post, it happens on occasion but not often. So, if I say something that offends you and you feel the need to force your opinion on me because obviously everyone should have your opinion or none at all, feel free to post it in the thread that I'll probably never see again. However, if you are interested in intelligent discourse, feel free to message me.
May 7, 2014 8:03 PM
Oct 2012
ponygon123 said:
When fanservice is out of place I hate it (Kill la Kill but i did love the rest of the anime) but it makes perfect sense in this anime and goes well with it. This clearly isn't a serious anime so anybody expecting that should realize that

Sympathize, but even in Kill La Kill, the fanservice was such a perfect parody of 70s/80s shows that when they did it I laughed far more than felt anything sexual. I am 120% that was the intent (since the show was a parody/homage of those show on many different levels).

As for NGNL, I have a feeling that it is slightly exploitative, but I think it is more a fun, wink wink than a "we don't have anything else so show the idiots some T&A "vibe.
May 7, 2014 8:04 PM

Jan 2014
When i was watching steph lose the first bet i thought she would have stopped and learned her lesson.

Sadly she did not learn her lesson

but over all great episode and hoping for a epic battle
May 7, 2014 8:18 PM

Mar 2014
That angel girl at the end looked cute.
MAL: A community that thinks every anime is bad, but rates everything a 7/10.
May 7, 2014 8:23 PM

Sep 2011
Steph losing all those games had me laughing the whole time. Looks like things are finally getting started with the plot, too, can't wait.
May 7, 2014 8:23 PM

Nov 2012
Love this episode it taught me not to gamble LOL. And dat jealousy XD
Your so-called peaceful world makes me bored, so don't blame me if I destroy all of it.
- http://worldinverse.smackjeeves.com
May 7, 2014 8:27 PM

Nov 2012
Mugen24 said:
I feel like NGNL could be better if it took a little more serious tone and cut down on the unnecessary fan service a bit. I understand it's a comedy but the over silliness of the show takes away from its potential imo.
Agreed.

This episode was too much a bore fest, nothing happened besides Steph strip-tease and slight background of ShiroSora on the ending.
I was expecting people to critique the "comedy" in this episode but apparently Shiro wearing Steph's clothing is "lol hilarious"? Sometimes I hate my sense of humor.
May 7, 2014 8:42 PM
May 2009
cba to go through 8 pages so forgive me if this was answered, what was that bleeped word they tried to crash the floaty tree thing with?
May 7, 2014 8:59 PM
Aug 2009
Interesting... after watching it for the umpteenth time I noticed that there seems to be an interesting pattern showing up. Most of enjoyed a good laugh at Steph expense because she's ... well... a joke, at least for the time being and possibly for the entire foreseeable future, that said she is clearly the one learning the most from each "lesson" provided by the siblings (no small part in thanks to her proximity obviously but... details details). Take the bloodless revolution theory that Sora was using in the chess match for example, Steph was quick to learn and adpat that idea into her arsenal and use it against the nobles.
It certainly seems like she is the Watson to the siblings Holmes. Imagination and lateral thinking aren't her strong points but that not what she is needed for and I'd say the [ ] better watch out, because their greatest ally might just become their worst adversary.
I'm definitely going to be keeping an eye on her growth, and while unlikely it certainly would be interesting for her to become apprentice, nemesis, then heir to [ ]'s throne.
May 7, 2014 9:32 PM

Aug 2013
the two brothers seem unbeatable in games
But the arrogance of them leaves the characters uncharismatic
even if the plot is good, If this keeps up the anime may lose some quality
_________

os dois irmãos parecem imbativeis no jogos
porém a arrogancia deles deixa os personagens sem carisma
mesmo o enredo sendo bom, se continuar assim o anime poderá perder um pouco da qualidade
May 7, 2014 9:55 PM

Jul 2013
I am loving this show and everything about it. Definitely my favorite show this season.

Great episode, I can't get enough of the siblings. Also, poor Steph.

I can't wait for next week.
May 7, 2014 10:01 PM

Nov 2012
I like Sora's way of thinking. Conquer for the animal girls.
May 7, 2014 10:06 PM
Oct 2012
clannadlover said:
It certainly seems like she is the Watson to the siblings Holmes. Imagination and lateral thinking aren't her strong points but that not what she is needed for and I'd say the [ ] better watch out, because their greatest ally might just become their worst adversary.

You hit the nail squarely, she is watson. While her love of Sora will cause her to be an ally regardless, right now she is there primarily to serve as an exposition foil. That said I think she will be standing up big time in the near future.
May 7, 2014 10:51 PM

Jun 2013
The whole Steph dog thing was very very lol. The pantsu on shiro head got me the most
May 7, 2014 11:08 PM

Dec 2013
FTW LAPUTA REFERENCE!
Not to mention they also changed their outfits so 123123123/10 for that!

Then I lost it even harder at the accent at the end.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) fine booty
May 7, 2014 11:22 PM

Apr 2012
lol steph become dog for a day XD

Jibril appear she have cool and beautiful aura until he ruin it :)

May 7, 2014 11:30 PM

Dec 2013
So freaking funny xD I need more of this,there was almost no plot progession at all but i'm laughting my ass off non stop for 23 minutes, this is good shit.Dat vivid colors, Dat fan-service,Dat perfect Engrish! Me Likey
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
May 7, 2014 11:52 PM

Aug 2008
Funny episode. I enjoy watching Steph losing and getting humiliated.
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
May 8, 2014 12:01 AM

Jul 2013
Steph getting humiliated by Sora and Shiro, by playing these random games, XD. Sora and Shiro are so quick with their games and strategy... very impressive XD. It was a pretty funny episode. That finger though XD. That angel pretty much trolled at the end.

May 8, 2014 12:22 AM
Jul 2018
Steph is very cute and funny, she's growing on me more and more every episode.
May 8, 2014 12:32 AM

Apr 2014
The episode was funny with doggy Steph and all, but the Laputa parody was the best. I hope the next episode will be as good as this one.
May 8, 2014 12:49 AM

Dec 2010
I'm honestly enjoying the fanservice in this one so far xD Also, the Flugel is really pretty! Although admittedly I have a thing for girls with wings...Here's hoping she's awesome!

Also, Sora definitely has the right priorities, taking over an animal girl kingdom is always the best option!
May 8, 2014 3:21 AM

Feb 2012
That death angel caught me off guard!! After that serious deathly look, I LOL'ed a lot when she started talking..
You can just be yourself. Do things your own way, one step at a time. You'll get there. Just be yourself, you'll be fine."
~Fruit Basket
May 8, 2014 3:32 AM

Jan 2014
The end was very funny, but the problem I have with this is that I can't enjoy it fully because they talk really fast and given that english isn't my mother language is difficult to understand the meaning and the context in a matter of seconds of seconds.
At the end of the episodes my head's always in pain.

That said, this episode was quite funny, I like Steph, we had the chance to see that she's not that daft as it seemed at the beginning, but I always believed in her, I like her character.
May 8, 2014 4:06 AM

Jul 2013
What a Steph thing to do

LOL
- creates all that tension then just destroys it by speaking. She trolled 'em lol.
May 8, 2014 5:11 AM

Jul 2013
If there's one thing I'm going to complain about, it was that they had an epic scene in the end and it was ruined by comic relief. I know that was the joke and all, but I feel like it would've been better without the angel speaking like that.

Just a question, can people die in these games? (e.g. betting your life and dying if you lose).
MinagatachiMay 8, 2014 5:14 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 8, 2014 5:20 AM

Jan 2011
I'm thinking I'd like to go to this world too. As long as you can beat them in a game you can make anyone your bitch, literally.
May 8, 2014 5:31 AM

Jul 2013
Minagatachi said:
If there's one thing I'm going to complain about, it was that they had an epic scene in the end and it was ruined by comic relief. I know that was the joke and all, but I feel like it would've been better without the angel speaking like that.

I actually feel the same.
That would've felt epic if it wasn't for her talking.
May 8, 2014 5:36 AM

Mar 2012
Jibril have descend. Prepare for epicness.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
May 8, 2014 5:51 AM
Apr 2011
Ever since ep1 I was pondering on mistakes this kind of world allows. How about this? Theoretically it should be impossible to make booby-traps because that goes against the clause of kill or harm. So making a poorly constructed bridge and inviting diplomats just to make them fall to death when they arrive is out of the question. Not so if you play a game, win and make that person construct a bridge based on your choice of design. As long as they don't get suspicious it's possible to get away with accidental death slash murder.

I wonder if this anime will take a darker turn later on.
Pages (8) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 14, 2014

705 by Bienard »»
May 12, 6:30 AM

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Cheesekao - Jun 25, 2014

1022 by NoFaceCastle »»
May 3, 11:14 PM

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 16, 2014

510 by SanessyAdversary »»
Apr 30, 10:10 PM

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 9, 2014

623 by hsallrounder »»
Apr 28, 5:41 AM

» No Game No Life’s Original Creator Pleads For A Second Season Of The Anime ( 1 2 )

deg - Apr 10

58 by Animeistaken »»
Apr 24, 8:33 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.