Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 4, 2014 2:21 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
That was an alright episode. I admire Eiichirou's spirit on the field despite his initial lack of success. It takes some guts there.

He has pretty good observations though. Also, I thought the OST matches the moments pretty well. I think this is a small preview of Eiichriou's true skills.
May 4, 2014 3:53 AM

Jul 2011
He's improving! Woot so he has the knack for tennis, just needs practice and experience. ^^

I want Ei-chan to beat that guy, but that probably won't happen. Oh well, I love seeing him improve. Watching movement and trajectory of racket, super eyes! :D
May 4, 2014 3:58 AM

Nov 2012
Finally, the first real match begins.
The animation of the match was really good.
An early love break from Ei-chan, that was impressive. Even though I know the rules of tennis, I liked how they gave a detailed explanation for those who don't know yet.
I loled when Ei-chan served for the first time. Serving can be hard if you don't practice it a lot, that's my problem too xD I can hit hard, but I can't give a strong serve.
Oobayashi's tactic was clever. This anime is incredibly close to realism and that's a good thing.
Oobayashi is only 1 game away from winning the match, looking forward next week for the second part of the match ^^
"I can have food or drinks spilled on me, or even be spit at and ill laugh about it ,
However , If for any reason you hurt a friend of mine, I won't forgive you!"

- Red-Haired Shanks
May 4, 2014 4:55 AM
Jan 2013
So he's been playing for 4 months... I want to him to win... But I don't want to bet coz he might gonna lose.
ANIME>Disney
May 4, 2014 5:26 AM

Aug 2010
That was really nice ^^

Seeing Eichiro's returns be that strong even against the 5th was really awesome. And the way the coach explained it as him having the standard speed set as Takuma's serves which is the fastest in high school was a really nice touch. His body just reacts automatically hehe.

Good to know that anything Ei-chan trains on he'll become a BA in it. Can't wait til he starts training serves :D And gain some experience ^^

But Ryo is quite the player. His experience made him realize how to counter right away.

Loved how Ei-chan realized that this is his chance to gain experience and will be using it to return as many times as possible in ways other than what he practiced. This should give him lots of exp points hehe ^^

Loving the OST a lot :D
May 4, 2014 6:21 AM

Dec 2011
Love the OST of the match and awesome adaptation of the manga...too bad i feels that in 25 episodes might cover only about 50 chapters of the manga
May 4, 2014 7:03 AM

Dec 2011
Lol at Ei-chan freaking out just before the game since he's only been training/playing for 4 months XD.

I was expecting Ei-chan to lose pretty badly since he's just a beginner, but I think he'll put up a good fight at least.
"Let justice be done, though the heavens fall."
May 4, 2014 7:17 AM

Jan 2013
Great episode. This anime is delivering every bit of laughing and seriousness I had while reading the manga. I hope it keeps it up. I face palmed on his serve so hard. xD
May 4, 2014 7:37 AM

Apr 2011
Why do they say "Another return ace !?" when the blond guy made contact ?
May 4, 2014 7:41 AM

Jun 2012
He's showing some improvement and he has very good eyes as well, he might turn into a strong player. I'm looking forward to that.
May 4, 2014 8:41 AM

May 2013
As an anime watcher, this show is okay, I guess. But as a tennis player irl, this anime is actually really amazing! It's super realistic, and it just feels good to watch Maruo get destroyed and then finally figure out what to do and make a come back.
May 4, 2014 9:06 AM

May 2013
Eiichiro was doing well in his first return. I hope he can make a come back.
May 4, 2014 9:14 AM
Apr 2013
Very nice episode. It's the best in sport anime when MC is low and don't have any skills and he improves and suprise everyone by the time.

Just sad that baby steps anime won't adapt the best parts manga after 150+ chapters but I hope they will make second season

best regards
May 4, 2014 9:50 AM

Apr 2014
This is how sports anime is supposed to be and not like the prince of tennis crap. I'd pick baby steps over prince of tennis any day.
May 4, 2014 10:27 AM

May 2013
Let´s go Ei-Chan you can pull this win :D !
May 4, 2014 10:36 AM

Aug 2009
its data tennis ;D
May 4, 2014 12:24 PM
Oct 2012
I have a favor for people who know what is going to happen in this series (or for anyone in general).

I created a poll over on the manga thread about how the show will deal with the current conflict in the manga, I would really appreciate people voting on which outcome they would prefer, I am curious as to what fans like in a story.

This involves a bit of a spoiler of a plot conflict that will occur later, but to be honest it really isn't that much of a spoiler and it has already been brought up on the threads, so really anyone can reply.

I am posting this here because I think far more manga readers are on this thread than on the manga thread.

Again, if you can vote I would be grateful, if you want to leave a comment please do.

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1165641&pollresults=1
May 4, 2014 12:44 PM

Jul 2010
This is so enjoyable, I have a huge smile on me every damn time. Maruo is also really likeable as MC, his growth is really well constructed, I hope it will continue on this level.
May 4, 2014 12:50 PM
Jul 2018
Eiichriou was doing very well when he returned the serve. He had good eyes, he might win this match.
May 4, 2014 2:01 PM
May 2014
Kamax said:
Finally, the first real match begins.
The animation of the match was really good.
An early love break from Ei-chan, that was impressive. Even though I know the rules of tennis, I liked how they gave a detailed explanation for those who don't know yet.
I loled when Ei-chan served for the first time. Serving can be hard if you don't practice it a lot, that's my problem too xD I can hit hard, but I can't give a strong serve.
Oobayashi's tactic was clever. This anime is incredibly close to realism and that's a good thing.
Oobayashi is only 1 game away from winning the match, looking forward next week for the second part of the match ^^

I'm liking this anime, because it's actually pretty realistic to how real tennis can be. Though I would expect that, that caliber of tournament would be best 2-3 sets. His serve was hilarious, plus the anxiety before the match, too good.
May 4, 2014 2:45 PM

May 2012
I already read this part in the manga but I still can't stop laughing at Eichan's panicky face before the match! And finally the super eyes!!! Hehe. Nice touch of comedy and realism. Go Ei-chan!!!
May 4, 2014 3:12 PM

Jan 2013
That was over before I knew it.
Good episode, felt like it skipped some training though.
May 4, 2014 3:58 PM

Oct 2013
Ei-Chan's coming back. Maybe not...we shall see though
May 4, 2014 4:16 PM

Jan 2008
I love how they animated Maruo's attention to detail. Was wondering what they would do with it.
May 4, 2014 5:21 PM
Jan 2014
This was a very exciting episode for me, personally.
Eiichirou's vision allows him to adapt to his opponent rather quickly.
He has a chance to win Oobayashi's serve sets, but when on his serve I would assume he has to predict every movement Oobayashi makes.
Regardless, scoring 5 consecutive sets would be difficult.
May 4, 2014 5:51 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
And so Ei-chan's inexperience shows in his first match. But it's great to see him struggling yet learning at the same time. I like how he doesn't give up despite knowing that Oobayashi is dominating the set, or the fact that Oobayashi is the fifth seed. He's also started to put his great eyesight into use, surprising his opponent. Whatever the outcome of the match is, this is a great experience for Ei-chan. At least he's not super jittery like Hinata in Haikyuu :P
May 4, 2014 5:54 PM

Mar 2012
Awesome episode! I like how at the end, Maruo decided to focus less on the basics and more on the opponent. Man, having the ability to see those details that accurately before someone swings and reacting to those details would be really tight. My eyesight sort of blows though... xD

I can't wait to see how many games Maruo can take back before he goes down (at least that's what I assume will happen). After all, stamina has always been one of his most evident weaknesses. XD
May 4, 2014 7:43 PM

Jul 2013
The only weird thing I found is how they never showed Maruo practicing a real game beforehand. I knew he was gonna fail because they never showed him practicing serves. I'm surprised they added so much detail though.. the manga pretty much only showed the last part of the match.
May 4, 2014 11:40 PM

May 2012
I WANT MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORE.
May 5, 2014 1:33 AM
Feb 2014
i hope this anime will climb up the scoreboard like last season nhk anime (log horizon start with very low score but now we have 8 score for that anime)
May 5, 2014 1:49 AM

Apr 2013
This was a fun episode. I'm glad this is two-cour.
May 5, 2014 2:43 AM

Mar 2013
Tennis is by far the sport that gets me the most excited, and this first match was no different. The events were a little predictable after his early break, but seeing Ei-chan starting to bounce back really got my blood boiling, just in time for the episode to end. I don't expect him to win next time, but at least getting a respectable score against the 5th seed should be great in anyone's book. I dunno what I'm gonna do when this and Wimbledon are on, though - that's gonna be a hell of a lot of tennis.
straggyMay 5, 2014 2:47 AM
May 5, 2014 2:55 AM

Nov 2010
Good match. i love they analyze the things.
May 5, 2014 6:44 AM

Sep 2013
I was really surprised he won that first match. Of course he couldn't win a set, but that was pretty awesome. His oponent analyzed him and found a solution to beat him. I expect nothing less from someone as skilled as him. I'm excited to see Ei-chan's progress. Judging from that first episode, he's going to be losing a lot, but I don't even mind. I'll take that then some unrealistic sports anime where nothing is believable (although they are pretty entertaining). I'm no enjoying this anime as much as Haikyuu, but I'm going to continue watching it XD
May 5, 2014 11:56 AM

Oct 2011
Ei-chan is improving as the match progresses !!!!! YAY!!!!
May 5, 2014 10:48 PM

Jan 2011
Ei-chan has found a way to fight back, by maximizing the effect of his excellent vision. However he is up against an experienced and analytical player who was able to modify his game as soon as he realized Ei-chan's strengths and weaknesses. I think the preview showed just how he is going to deal with Ei-chan's ability to anticipate. Still, this isn't a bad showing for your first game in a tournament when you are up against a much stronger opponent (and you have no serve whatsoever).
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

May 6, 2014 6:22 AM

Aug 2013
LOL When ei-chan freaked out when he got the game XD and when he became nervous to the point of feeling Blank (I have these feelings ;_;)

LCWS | SCS | TCO | NC | DNC
May 7, 2014 8:00 AM

Jul 2012
loved that last part! got so many chills ><
May 8, 2014 3:22 PM

Oct 2013
DarkYazawa said:
As an anime watcher, this show is okay, I guess. But as a tennis player irl, this anime is actually really amazing! It's super realistic, and it just feels good to watch Maruo get destroyed and then finally figure out what to do and make a come back.

My thoughts exactly.
May 8, 2014 8:22 PM

Jun 2013
This show is good. Time flies when I watch it. It's also really interesting for someone who doesn't know too much about tennis. Makes me want to play, haha.

I've never been into sports anime, but the season has me hooked on all 3; this, Haikyuu!, and Ping Pong.
May 10, 2014 7:46 AM

Feb 2014
Nice episode seeing Eichan first succeed and then fail is really cool.
What I also like about this anime that the tennis club is not in the school but outside so there wont be BS promises for third years to win the nationals. And time sure passes by four months already might become another Hajime no Ippo and start taking the world later on at Grand Slams.
Btw, how is PoT never got a chance to watch heard it was over the top ?
May 11, 2014 7:43 AM

Nov 2010
The first game Eiichirou breaks against a fifth seed opponent was just unbelievable
Luckily his play has adjusted to Eiichirou
I liked the explanations of this sport in between again from the coach and other participants

It would be absurd to win after being 1-5 behind if that would happen next
with just 4 months of tennis training and no prior exercise except his schools P.E. classes
May 13, 2014 8:52 AM

Aug 2013
Just four months of training but Ei-chan's already this good.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
May 26, 2014 4:10 AM

Jun 2011
I don't like how Ei-chan won his first round, but the last point was pretty damn good, accompanied with the OST and the way they animated the scene. I have a feeling I am going to like the series more as it goes on, because my only (major) problem with it so far is as a noob of Ei-chan as he is now, he cannot win against a strong player if the series is trying to portray realistic tennis, so when he gets better, I won't have that problem anymore. :)

Takuma is my favorite character so far, can't wait for when they get a little into his character later.

Edit:
Z4k said:
This is how sports anime is supposed to be and not like the prince of tennis crap. I'd pick baby steps over prince of tennis any day.
I wonder if people will ever stop with the "this is how something should be" crap, just because one prefer a more realistic sports over another, when the other one never even tried to portray itself as realistic.
ToG25thBaamMay 26, 2014 4:14 AM
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Jul 7, 2014 7:29 PM

Jun 2009
Well, it actually makes a lot of sense that he was able to easily return the guys serves considering he practiced against the best in high school. Since he didn't practice the other aspects of the game as much, if at all, it was really cool that he's struggled a great deal. I like how he is learning as he goes. This really is just practice in a way, kind of like "on the job training" if you will.

I hope he doesn't win this match, that would be kind of lame imo. I doubt he will, though. This series seems to value realism and he really should lose this game. Probably badly.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Oct 19, 2014 2:01 AM

Sep 2011
Damn that song at the end made it so epic!
Dec 28, 2014 12:36 PM

Dec 2012
Ei-chan's got great eyes.
Jan 30, 2015 6:37 AM

Jun 2014
the game was so typical till the end

It was a great player picking on an inexperienced player. I don't remember Ei-chan serving before this episode, it was great how he could get it over the net. He is never going to learn how to hit the other parts of the court just by hitting the wall.

Mar 5, 2015 11:19 AM

Oct 2014
Another great episode, I love these types of analytical animes!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 19, 2015 10:53 PM
Apr 2015
Z4k said:

True dat!
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 6, 2014

143 by JeremiahOrange »»
Oct 5, 2023 6:50 AM

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 21, 2014

93 by 1Konochi »»
Jun 14, 2023 5:49 PM

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 14, 2014

55 by 1Konochi »»
Jun 14, 2023 2:40 PM

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 7, 2014

54 by 1Konochi »»
Jun 5, 2023 12:04 PM

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 24, 2014

52 by 1Konochi »»
May 27, 2023 10:16 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.