Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
No Game No Life (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (12) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Apr 23, 2014 7:21 PM
Jun 2013
OMG ugh IDK why but I keep falling in love with this show more and more. It's such a perfect balance of everything.
Apr 23, 2014 7:27 PM

Jan 2013
This anime is just too awesome, MC gave a katsuragi moment there with the queen 3.3
That jojo reference was just too funny for me and awesome. Can't wait for the next episode
Oct 2012
ChronosXIII said:
For an 18 year old NEET, Sora is surprisingly charismatic and persuasive.

Ah, but there in lies what makes Sora such a great MC.

While he can be both charismatic and persuasive, he is also a complete bore and the type of person that the more you know him the more you hate his arrogance and overbearing ways (as other posters have noted).

So this combines the traits of both a hero and anti-hero, if not for these drawbacks he would be an insufferable MC, but with these drawbacks he can be fueled to great scenes (telling the soldiers that they could bang any woman in front of Steph was funny and distributing at the same time). It also makes us wonder whether redemption is in the cards.

You really have to hand it to the writer on this, he had this all thought out from the start. Three episodes in and I can already tell that this writer knows what he is doing.

Similar to Kill La Kill, I just want to kick back and enjoy this ride. This is buttery savory popcorn goodness to the max.

May 2012
08:21 =.=

That was freaking lame.
1/10 for this episode.
Also, Shiro's frigging annoying.
Isayama Hajime should be awarded The Manga with The Highest Inconsistencies of Characters' Appearances.
He keeps performing multiple plastic surgeries on those Shingeki No Kyojin characters in a SINGLE chapter.
Yes, I've read up to the latest chapter of Shingeki No Kyojin manga.
Forced myself to read through the kidsketching chapters after the anime's ended. At least from now on, I only have to go through the hell once a month.
Patiently awaiting SNK TV/movie/OVA anime-sequel.
The 2015 SNK live-action movie would probably suck.
Apr 23, 2014 7:34 PM
Oct 2012
Shirubaasouru said:
08:21 =.=

That was freaking lame.
1/10 for this episode.
Also, Shiro's frigging annoying.

Really? The Jojo reference is what you wanted to harp on? I don't even like Jojo but thought that scene great. After all, being an otaku (and yes, all of us are), who wouldn't love the opportunity to be able to perfectly use a loved catch phrase perfectly timed like that?

And that it was their "4th most wanted to say expression" was wonderful as well. First it makes us wonder what the top three are, but more to the point that these two actually had conversations discussing which were their favorite catch phrase is a great insight into both their characters and relationship.

I will admit that Shiro hasn't really been given the chance to shine yet (which I expect will come), but come on, annoying? After the assist she gave her brother to cop the first real feel of his life? What more can one ask of a wingman?
Apr 23, 2014 7:42 PM

Dec 2013
Where do I rate this 11/10?
Apr 23, 2014 7:46 PM

Nov 2011
Felt like an episode of Tonari no Seki-kun.
Apr 23, 2014 8:21 PM

Jun 2013
Wow I'm loving this show so far! Give me more NEET antics and badassery!
Apr 23, 2014 8:23 PM

May 2013
I play chess and this episode really was unexpected. I thought it was a normal game of chess then it turns out to be a tactic battle. Sora uses brainwashing through his experience in playing dating sims. It turned out to be okay. Good episode.
Apr 23, 2014 8:35 PM

Jul 2012
Pretty good adaptation of the Not-So-Chess match. As expected they didn't put in the Civilization and Daisenryaku references lol. Would have been great if they did though.

For those who are starting to lose hope because of lack of actual strategy and mind games at least stick around until ep 6 or 7. If you still haven't changed your mind after then this show really isn't up your alley.
Apr 23, 2014 8:39 PM

Nov 2012
Way to go with breaking the mood of "seriousness". :/
...the only truth of the world is "kawaii".
I can't sit well with seriousness shifting into parody-comedy and shifting back into seriousness over and over.
I have no problem with "comedy" (was it really?), but not when it meddles with the plot and detracts the flow into something completely silly.
Also, I hate the brotherXsister relationship with a burning passion, I'd just wish Shiro'd explode at some point, for 0 reason at all: "ni...~" *boom*

And will be seconding:

---
Ranting aside, I'm curious to know more about the world, the races, and the politics of the world~

I'll probably come to enjoy this better if I expect parody-level-comedy instead of a serious anime. And pretend Shiro doesn't exist.
MomonoApr 23, 2014 9:01 PM
Apr 23, 2014 8:45 PM

Aug 2013
YAY They brought back the amazing song from the preview! As well as many other amazing songs! I remember liking more than 1 song towards the middle. Also, The song that played when Sora was dominating the chess match hit me with Nostalgia. The song sounded like it came directly from a PS2 game I got in 2001 called 'Dark Cloud.' I can't wait to look up the soundtrack later and listen to that, as well as all the other songs in this anime!

The actual material was super interesting too! I haven't been bored yet! The artwork is fantastic. The OP is also growing on me too, and the artwork is a big reason.
Apr 23, 2014 8:55 PM

Oct 2013
I absolutely loved this episode. Showed both badass moments and points of weakness, polarization makes the other all the better. Lovely.
Apr 23, 2014 8:57 PM

Jun 2013
I love this series so far! Especially the part were Sora made the queen fall in love with him :D Really badass so far
Apr 23, 2014 9:07 PM

Jan 2014
This episode was really entertaining but bending the rules of chess and making it into a rom simulation or whatever the fk it was ... shit
3/5
Apr 23, 2014 9:12 PM

Jul 2012
Best game of (not) chess ever.
Apr 23, 2014 9:17 PM
Mar 2014
Best chess game i have ever seen it was hilarious lol.

Loving this series so much !
Apr 23, 2014 9:23 PM

Sep 2013
i fucking laugh at jojo scene
Apr 23, 2014 9:30 PM

Aug 2013
that crazy game
very funny the expressions of brothers
ta in the face that they will win this game
but what will they do when they govern?
________

que jogo louco
muito engraçado as expressoes do irmaos
ta na cara que eles vão vencer esse jogo
mas o que farão quando governarem?
Apr 23, 2014 9:45 PM

Apr 2010
WOW. That was amazing. Even I got riled up for battle.

Apr 23, 2014 9:47 PM

Nov 2011
billybob300c said:
1. I must be the different one who didn't like this ep. Ik it's not supposed to be a regular chess game, but the way it just kept adding random stuff... It just all came off as extremely crazy, especially hearing sora scream like a psycho

2. I'll try and forget about this episode.

1/10

is this why you watch anime? so you can bag on every show that you watch?
just sdfu already cause its getting really annoying how you complain about every episode you watch
Hate Keeps me warm
Apr 23, 2014 9:52 PM

Dec 2011
This anime is so awesome,getting better and better.
Love the chess game,looks a bit like Harry Potter chess game with having emotions in the game.
Shiro and Sora team is badass and love the parody from Ace Attorney that i love
Apr 23, 2014 10:06 PM

Sep 2012
God the Jojo reference. I absolute adore anime that makes references to other anime, especially when the references are made by characters who get the references themselves (as they admitted it was a line they wanted to use).

I'm guessing that's why Gintama is so popular and Konata from Lucky Star is so likable.

Badass chess game is badass. Glad to see the main characters actually struggle.

Also Shiro's telling the soldiers that they can bang any woman they want might just be one of the best lines to come out of Spring.

I love this show.
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Apr 23, 2014 10:11 PM
SetoMary Fanatic

Jun 2013
i...
This show...
what..
this..
I CAN'T EVEN PUT MY THOUGHTS STRAIGHT
It's serious and then we get a speech about banging girls
It's serious, and then we get a speech about what rules the world, cuteness (Which is true)
It flips so much but it is still quite enjoyable!
I thought we were gonna get some dumb Harry Potter rip... but boy was I wrong.

Korrvo said:

Also Shiro's telling the soldiers that they can bang any woman they want might just be one of the best lines to come out of Spring.

I love this show.

If it was Shiro, that would have been quite interesting
A little loli telling a bunch of men that they can bang any women after the battle.
LOLOL
Apr 23, 2014 10:26 PM

Dec 2013
My goodness. Just oh my goodness. This series is turning out to be absolutely AWESOME! Shiro is just too moe/kawaii when she said "Dai-jou-bu" I had a small braingasm. I felt so sad when Shiro gave up and started crying but then when Sora took over and shouted "ALL WHO WANTS TO BANG GIRLS AND NOT BE A VIRGIN!!" speech, I completely doubled over laughing so hard. LOL that was like the best turn around scene i've seen in years. The chess game where Sora is manipulating the minds of the pieces through simple psychology, using ethics, morality and even loyalty. Oh and he said something i completely agree with. KAWAII IS THE ONLY RIGHT WAY!!!!

This is just too good of a watch. I can't wait for the other girl to lose badly to Sora and Shiro. This episode deserves a 5/5 for sure.
kingsheep812Apr 24, 2014 1:27 AM
"No one knows what the future holds. That's why its potential is infinite.” - Okabe Rintarou

"El Psy Congroo."

Kirino Kyousake Picture
Apr 23, 2014 10:52 PM

Apr 2010
Expected a chess game, ended up with a drama/romance, cool. Anyway still think that so far the anime's being overrated, but well, we'll have to see what happens in the coming weeks to make a final review
giusex27Apr 23, 2014 10:55 PM

"Can you feel that hybrid rainbow?"
Apr 23, 2014 11:04 PM

Sep 2012
Zelot said:

If it was Shiro, that would have been quite interesting
A little loli telling a bunch of men that they can bang any women after the battle.
LOLOL
woops

bad with names
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Apr 23, 2014 11:11 PM

Oct 2010
This anime's ridiculous.

Ridiculously good.
Apr 23, 2014 11:22 PM
May 2011
The anime was trying to be smart in the first two episodes, and it was already bad at it. Now that it just turned totally brainless, it's a huge disappointment.
Apr 23, 2014 11:36 PM

Mar 2012
This butchered chess game is totally like "Tonari no Seki-kun", a comedy about a kid play classic game his own way.

I like this episode. a refreshing comedy with some funny references to other games and manga. I was expecting some logical psychological serious battle like "liar game", but this is entertaining too in its own way.

However, I can totally understand the disappointment of those who want logical battle. This episode is really unlogical. Lot of random and stupid things happened. Please don't try to defend this show logic, it will just make you look stupid. Also, you know this show is not meant to be taken seriously. Is just a comedy, and it don't need to be logical to be entertaining.

If you are disappointing, don't drop yet and just watch this anime like "Gintama" instead.
Apr 24, 2014 12:06 AM
Dec 2012
leeo268 said:
This butchered chess game is totally like "Tonari no Seki-kun", a comedy about a kid play classic game his own way.

I like this episode. a refreshing comedy with some funny references to other games and manga. I was expecting some logical psychological serious battle like "liar game", but this is entertaining too in its own way.

However, I can totally understand the disappointment of those who want logical battle. This episode is really unlogical. Lot of random and stupid things happened. Please don't try to defend this show logic, it will just make you look stupid. Also, you know this show is not meant to be taken seriously. Is just a comedy, and it don't need to be logical to be entertaining.

If you are disappointing, don't drop yet and just watch this anime like "Gintama" instead.

There is logic but it is so masked by the silly way in which it is presented in the anime that it is hard to see it - the LN is better for understanding the logic behind NGNL games because you just have to imagine the silly situations not actually see them on the screen.

Actually the girl and her elf helper used magic to turn Chess into a Chess-themed real time tactics & leadership simulation game - something that Sora noticed when Shiro's units refused to go in and die for her due to the fact that she commanded the units with cold-blooded intellect rather then charisma (charisma is extremely important for leading military units and all great unit leaders from Cesar to Rommel used it to their advantage).

Sora, to turn the tide of battle in his favor he held a speech - the first sentence after the "Attention all forces!" in which he promises each of his men a woman of their choosing was an attention gatherer and at the same time a throw off - his opponent was surprised. Then he used the real things, the things that actually make people fight - money, promise of never going to war again and an easy life - to make his figures have high morale and willingness to listen to him. Then he used the natural desire to protect weak living things using Shiro, a child, - tell me how much people, excluding pathological cases, will not help a crying child? - with a spice of giving them guilt for making her cry, to mobilize them into an all out assault against his opponent.

AKA this battle simulation (with Chess theme) actually is Sora's leadership, charisma and speechcraft skills (with the small divergence with the galage to convince the enemy Queen) against the magic that his opponent is using - morale boost magic and brainwashing (unit overtake) magic.

If this was just a Chess game which was simply animated with magic (like the one in Harry Potter) this would be a dull and easy victory for Shiro's supercomputer-like intelligence.

So don't say there is no logic in this when there is - it is just hidden under the humor and silliness (who knows maybe Sora is being silly on purpose to look like a weaker opponent than he really is? we know he used mind tricks and psychological traps against Steph in the previous episode so it would not be a surprise).

Well NGNL is using a less-serious approach but don't think that the games are not well thought about - since they definitely are.
It cloud have been done differently but considering the characters and the setting I doubt it would have been as fun and popular if it were that way.
gamer5Apr 24, 2014 1:05 AM
Apr 24, 2014 12:06 AM
May 2011
I don't plan to drop it yet, and I understand the comedy elements, but yes, I'm disappointed because those comedy elements should serve the plot and the anime, not take over the only thing that has made it interesting so far.
Apr 24, 2014 12:11 AM
Sep 2011
Its only not logical if you actually thought it was a game of chess.

its wasn't. It was a game to show who had the greater charisma and control of their troops, which the fake queen got by using elven magic, and Shiro over turned by doing his hilarious speech/using the power of Moe and wooing the queen.

Easily one of the most entertaining series ive watched in a long time, its just such a ridiculously enjoyable series.
Apr 24, 2014 12:11 AM

Aug 2013
Damn, this shit is like YuGiOh on drugs x_x

Would've been nice to see a real chess game tbh, but this psychological warfare is nice too.
Apr 24, 2014 12:14 AM

Dec 2007
People are attempting to watch this for cerebral elements and yet aren't appreciating the subtle bits. That's curious.
Jumping in Headfirst - I hear reading it causes immortality. Warning. Reading may not actually cause immortality.
Apr 24, 2014 12:20 AM
Dec 2013
DivineTrinity said:
An enjoyable episode. Dat Phoenix Wright style of objection was pure win. :D Chess game was pretty good but I wasn't expecting it to take a turn like this. I'm already excited for the next episode it needs to get here now.

Even the judge had the same beard and expression on his face XD
Apr 24, 2014 12:22 AM
Sep 2011
Kyuutoryuu said:

Would've been nice to see a real chess game tbh, but this psychological warfare is nice too.

Not really, Sora was shown to be near or at Grandmaster level of chess, there is no way she could lose a normal game of chess
Apr 24, 2014 12:49 AM

Nov 2012
i hated this episode so far 1/5

d*mn 30 mins is not enough , i want moar shiro *rants*

when sora and shiro changes the flow of the game and the ED theme pops out .
. i was like : " DDDDAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMNNNNNN noooooooooooooooo.. dont hang me like that " >:(
Apr 24, 2014 12:57 AM
Apr 24, 2014 1:01 AM
Jan 2014
just sugoi
Apr 24, 2014 1:03 AM

Nov 2007
So. Damn. Unpredictable. :D

I like the girls in this anime. Steph is my waifu and Sora is my future brother in law. :D
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Apr 24, 2014 1:06 AM

Oct 2013
That was one of the dumbest episodes of anything i've seen in awhile. Man this show is terrible, Dropped.
Apr 24, 2014 1:12 AM

Dec 2010
I officially don't know whats going on in this anime anymore...the chess game was nuts, but it was highly entertaining! Sort of like this entire series so far. Using the power of love and cuteness to change the tides of war, is a pretty good plan! Plus, Elf girl is pretty cute too!

I look forward to their coronation next week!
Apr 24, 2014 1:24 AM
Mar 2014
Great episode ^^
I loved how the knight refused to slay the queen. :D
Apr 24, 2014 1:51 AM

Feb 2014
I loved this episode so much that I forgot it ended so quickly
Apr 24, 2014 1:59 AM
Dec 2013
OP chess battle haha, really good episode
Apr 24, 2014 2:00 AM

Jul 2011
God, when I scored this thing at 10, I expect it to not disappoint me. And it didn't.

Dat Objection (and soundtrack)! Dat Chess Game! Dat Kawaii speech! Dat winning the opposing Queen!

BUT WHY A CLIFFHANGER? I NEED MOAR! DXXX
Apr 24, 2014 2:06 AM

Feb 2012
That was a FUNtastic game of chess! Really intriguing and VERY MUCH unpredictable! Maybe those chess pieces will develop powers (like lazer vision, speed, etc.) next episode!! LOL!!!
You can just be yourself. Do things your own way, one step at a time. You'll get there. Just be yourself, you'll be fine."
~Fruit Basket
Apr 24, 2014 2:07 AM

Apr 2014
pacify said:
Its only not logical if you actually thought it was a game of chess.

its wasn't. It was a game to show who had the greater charisma and control of their troops, which the fake queen got by using elven magic, and Shiro over turned by doing his hilarious speech/using the power of Moe and wooing the queen.

You are absolutely getting carried away in your own entertainment to understand what people who are commenting on the reverse of this are really saying. We aren't so stupid as to think that it's a normal game of chess and blah blah blah. That isn't the point. The point is that when he commanded the troops he did it in an absolutely comedic and ridiculous way. I don't think real troops would respond positively to the crap that was spilling out of his mouth, but because that's the reaction that was required from them they ended up reacting positively. When I was watching I EXPECTED him to make a speech. I didn't, however, expect it to be completely and utterly ridiculous and written purely for comedic value. Understand?
Apr 24, 2014 2:25 AM

Jun 2010
OMYGOD, WHAT IS THIS EPIC SHIT?

My throat hurts from laughing. Goodness, that was both epic and hilarious.

Why are people even fighting about how the game was played? Cuz that was enjoyable as fuck. I wasn't expecting a proper chess game from the start but I wouldn't have thought things will go like that.

By the way one thing I noticed is that when Shiro checked the enemy king with her Queen, the enemy knight could have totally eaten the queen in the next move rofl.

Anyway, that was a really good episode 10/5
Pages (12) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 14, 2014

705 by Bienard »»
May 12, 6:30 AM

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Cheesekao - Jun 25, 2014

1022 by NoFaceCastle »»
May 3, 11:14 PM

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 16, 2014

510 by SanessyAdversary »»
Apr 30, 10:10 PM

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 9, 2014

623 by hsallrounder »»
Apr 28, 5:41 AM

» No Game No Life’s Original Creator Pleads For A Second Season Of The Anime ( 1 2 )

deg - Apr 10

58 by Animeistaken »»
Apr 24, 8:33 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.