Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 20, 2014 1:52 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
It was an alright episode imo but whoa, Takuma's serves are more than just that. That's some freaking power right there he's got. Looks like he's also got a little angry issue.

Anyways, looking forward to more! This drama is getting interesting. Same with that cliffhanger. INCOMING SERVE.
Apr 20, 2014 3:44 AM
Apr 2014
That was great! Loved every moment of it!
There was so much variety in music it was mindboggling!
Also I found the humorous things from what Ei-chan can't understand really funny.
Man it got really intense by the end, can't wait for the next episode!
Apr 20, 2014 4:27 AM

Aug 2008
I was expecting this episode to end with the fifty serves, time sure flies by.
Apr 20, 2014 4:32 AM

Apr 2014
Decent episode. Takuma seems a like a total ass imo.
Apr 20, 2014 5:17 AM

Oct 2011
Nice ep! I hope Ei-chan won't be punched :/
Apr 20, 2014 5:31 AM

Aug 2013
Ei-chan = Mister Fundamentals.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Apr 20, 2014 5:44 AM

Aug 2010
Good ep. Best one yet for me ^^

It's nice seeing how committed Eichiro is to training and getting the perfect feel ^^

Can't wait to see how these 50 serves go. They should help him improve quite a lot :D

Nxt ep should be awesome :D
Apr 20, 2014 5:53 AM

Mar 2010
Ei-chan could be a great journalist. Sticky :D
Apr 20, 2014 6:27 AM

May 2013
Nice episode!

cant wait to see if Ei-chan can actually hit a serve from Takuma.
Apr 20, 2014 6:46 AM

Feb 2013
My favorite episode yet. I really like Ei-chans' approach to stuff. That single mindedness is admirable.

Any chance Takuma is just misunderstood and really hurting inside and don't know how to express it? Kind of the vibe I am getting. I also think Ei-chan and Takuma will either be great rivals or good friends in the end.
Apr 20, 2014 7:28 AM
Dec 2012
oooh that thought of Ei-chan pulling this off gives me nerd chills
Apr 20, 2014 8:52 AM

May 2013
I knew they didn't kiss in the beginning. Eiichiro really is dedicated to playing tennis. Now he has to trying to at least hit one back on Takuma's serves.
Apr 20, 2014 9:15 AM
Jul 2018
Meh... They just don't stop with the cliffhangers do they?
Apr 20, 2014 9:22 AM

Feb 2008
I dislike the timing in this series, at several points in each episode, things happen several beats too slow. Like Takuma's first serve against that background character, that took like 2 seconds, not .5.

Hopefully the production staff will get better as the series continues, since I really like the story.
Apr 20, 2014 9:28 AM

Mar 2012
I PREDICT AN HEADSHOT IN THE NEXT EPISODE!
Apr 20, 2014 9:34 AM

Jul 2010
You know what? I really like the OP, not only musically speaking but the message it delivers, like "Believe in Yourself", pretty fitted for a spokon I'd say.

Anyway, good episode, looking forward to see Takuma vs Ei-chan.
Apr 20, 2014 11:03 AM

Jul 2013
Can't wait for the next episode. I already know what's gonna happen but it'll still be fun to watch it ^_^

Man, why is this anime so unpopular?
Apr 20, 2014 11:18 AM
Oct 2012
jiraiya_sensei said:
Can't wait for the next episode. I already know what's gonna happen but it'll still be fun to watch it ^_^

Humm, Sports anime without an OP from the start would be my guess (unlike say Ace of Diamond or Prince of Tennis).

Not sure how popular the Manga is in Japan, so I don't think it had near the readership as YP, so it is starting at a lower starting point.

With YP a lot of anime fans could immediately identify with the MC as a weak otaku, but this show has the "diligent, hard working student" which is about the antithesis of the average anime fan (even more opposite than if the MC were a stud athlete, then wish fulfillment could step in).

That said, really enjoying this series. Top three "most looking forward to next episode" of this season.
Apr 20, 2014 11:50 AM

Dec 2011
Ei-chan sure puts a lot of dedication in what he does no matter what that thing is.
Takuma only works hard when Natsu is around it seems.
It'll be fun to find out if Ei-chan can return even one of Takuma's serves.
"Let justice be done, though the heavens fall."
Apr 20, 2014 12:21 PM

Nov 2012
Lol this is getting interesting.
Apr 20, 2014 12:26 PM

Nov 2010
I love the progress, it seems like the next episode gonna be a moving point for Ei-chan.
we had less natsu this episode, i hope the make up for it later.
Apr 20, 2014 12:27 PM
Oct 2012
StefanMZ said:

In reality, not a chance. 105MPH is difficult for the best pros to hit, it is just too fast for someone without training to even react to.

That said, what makes this show so much fun is that you can see how Ei-chan could do it through his unique talents. I will be very curious if Takuma has some tells (i.e. how he places his feet or something - something that pros don't have, but an overpowering amateur would have) that would allow Ei-Chan to use his geometry skills to figure out where it is going to go. This would allow him to respond BEFORE he has to, which will allow him to still return the serve with his current racquet speed time.

It would also be a good learning lesson for Takuma, which would be how they could become friends.
Apr 20, 2014 12:43 PM
Jul 2018
It was a good episode.

Eichiro had improved a lot on his tennis skills.

Let's see can Eichiro handle the 50 serves from Takuma.
Apr 20, 2014 12:45 PM

Jul 2010
That ball looked like it was going for the head, one shot KO?
The cliffhangers... last week I was tempted enough to check the manga on what happened next >.< I have to hold it back!
Takuma seems interesting with his skills and background.
I wonder how they would show Takuma's serves in Ei-chan's prespective.
Apr 20, 2014 1:26 PM

Sep 2013
Im starting to like Ei-chan. Takuma looks like a black haired Taiga (Kuroko). I really think Takasaki looks like a chipmunk. I'm sorry, but whenever they do a close up, I'm actually frightened by her weird expressions.
Apr 20, 2014 1:40 PM

Jul 2012
Kagami Takuma needs to calm down. LOL Anyway, I really like how this show starts from scratch (like Eyeshield 21 for example) where they actually show the rules of the game and the basics. I'm learning quite a bit about tennis.

Looking forward to next Sunday!
Apr 20, 2014 4:40 PM

Sep 2008
jiraiya_sensei said:

Sadly the more character focused and realistic sports series will never be as popular as the over the top and exciting ones. (Though Baby Steps gets super intense in matches later on, and without dropping the realistic side)
Apr 20, 2014 5:18 PM

Jun 2012
I hope someone punches that Takuma kid
Apr 20, 2014 6:41 PM

Jul 2011
velcom said:
jiraiya_sensei said:

Sadly the more character focused and realistic sports series will never be as popular as the over the top and exciting ones. (Though Baby Steps gets super intense in matches later on, and without dropping the realistic side)

That just boosted my expectations. Take responsibility if I'm disappointed. >:I
Apr 20, 2014 6:52 PM

Jul 2010
Takuma will probably have some character development (hopefully) but right now I really don't like him...
Apr 20, 2014 7:07 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Mirorin said:
velcom said:

You most likely won't be disappointed :D It's as velcom says, the progression of Ei-chan's improvement in tennis is quite realistic since as you can already see, he is 1. incredibly digilent 2. has a unique way of approaching things (being technical and analytical).

Takuan_Soho said:

Humm, Sports anime without an OP from the start would be my guess (unlike say Ace of Diamond or Prince of Tennis).

But technically Eijun's not really OP? Unless you're talking about Furuya, then I guess so lol. But I see what you're saying. Most of the sports anime/manga I've seen/read start with characters that are already familiar with or playing the sport, unlike Baby Steps, where the mc is going into an unfamiliar territory and starting from scratch.
Apr 20, 2014 7:16 PM

Apr 2011
fuck this cliffhanger -_-
Apr 20, 2014 7:40 PM

Jan 2013
Great episode.
Really do like the training. Makes when he finally gets good enough to defeat Egawa worth it. Which probably won't happen in the first 25 episodes, if ever.
Apr 20, 2014 8:24 PM

Sep 2008
Mirorin said:
velcom said:
jiraiya_sensei said:

well the most intense matches will definitely not be covered in this season (as it is confirmed for 25 episodes). But there should be still plenty of good stuff covered.
Apr 20, 2014 10:15 PM
Aug 2011
Can Ei-chan be Takuma's light to his shadow already, geez?
Apr 20, 2014 11:33 PM

Jun 2013
It's OK, Takuma is actually
Apr 21, 2014 12:07 AM

Nov 2012
Great episode, I can't wait for the next one

Takuan_Soho said:
StefanMZ said:

In reality, not a chance. 105MPH is difficult for the best pros to hit, it is just too fast for someone without training to even react to.

Actually for the best pros 105MPH (or 168KM/H) is not that hard. It's an average serve. There are some players who constantly serve with 124MPH+ (or 200km/h+). Of course, someone who started playing 1 month ago couldn't even get a chance to return it. It's humanly impossible. For amateurs even around 62MPH (or 100KM/H) seems fast. With that said, the speed of the serve counts, but it's not the only important factor. The technique used is also important. For example Rafael Nadal who is the current no. 1 player in the world serves an average of 111MPH (or 180KM/H) in his first serve and they are still good. Spin is also important. Plus, he is left-handed so he can serve from left to right in a really wide angle and his opponents don't expect it.
"I can have food or drinks spilled on me, or even be spit at and ill laugh about it ,
However , If for any reason you hurt a friend of mine, I won't forgive you!"

- Red-Haired Shanks
Apr 21, 2014 3:59 AM
Oct 2010
This has made go and read the manga (already past this part and towards the next obstacle) which is proof that the series it's doing it's job. I can't really say why it suckered me in though... :)
Apr 21, 2014 7:59 AM

Apr 2011
Glad everyone is enjoying the show so far. I'm a huge fan of the series before the anime ever started.

Never a huge fan of sports, but adding a little of romance makes it awesome for me! :D

Can't wait for a real match, bet the animation is decent.
Apr 21, 2014 9:54 AM

Sep 2012
I did not anticipate liking this show as much as I do so far. I'm a big fan of sports anime so hopefully it will keep entertaining me. :)
Apr 21, 2014 10:21 AM

Apr 2013
dat troll cliffhanger
Apr 21, 2014 1:36 PM

Aug 2013
cliffhanger is predictable but nevertheless I'm so dokidoki wakuwaku when watching this series
I SENSE NEW LOVE INTEREST IN THE PREVIEW HMMM HMMMMMMMM
Apr 21, 2014 11:19 PM

Mar 2012
I really am enjoying this series a lot. Sort of a shame that it's not too popular, but at the the same time, I can understand why (sports char and a non-traditional anime lead char). Regardless, very fun episode! :D

And cliff-hanger... >_< Why there? Why you gotta make me wait another week? D:
Apr 22, 2014 12:37 PM

Oct 2011
Fake looking kiss OMG

Ei-chan mastering his skills

Too bad he got be by a kid XD

Oh my Takuma and his serves

Hope he can return his serves.
Apr 22, 2014 6:29 PM

May 2012
I wish they weren't exactly following the manga to the letter through these first few episodes. I remember that the manga pacing was awkward at the beginning, and it's the same with this show. I know it gets much better, but it leaves me wanting and lacking each episode.
Apr 23, 2014 7:19 PM

Oct 2013
Takuma is kinda of messed up lol
Apr 23, 2014 7:44 PM
Oct 2012
Kamax said:
Actually for the best pros 105MPH (or 168KM/H) is not that hard. It's an average serve.

Agreed, should have used "pro" not "best pro", damn trying to make a point with emphasis :-)

Although, depending on the type of server, 105 could be hard to return. The thing that makes Nishikori fun to watch is that because he knows he doesn't have power, he likes to do the angles. If he can get his first serve down, he is a very formidable opponent.

But yeah, Takuma would get destroyed by any decent pro with that serve, but for a newbie like Ei-kun, it should be impossible (but as I pointed out above, what makes this animation so awesome is that the writer has made it believable that amateur like Ei-kun COULD do it).
Apr 23, 2014 9:23 PM

Oct 2012
Takuan_Soho said:
jiraiya_sensei said:

Not sure how popular the Manga is in Japan, so I don't think it had near the readership as YP, so it is starting at a lower starting point.

With YP a lot of anime fans could immediately identify with the MC as a weak otaku, but this show has the "diligent, hard working student" which is about the antithesis of the average anime fan (even more opposite than if the MC were a stud athlete, then wish fulfillment could step in).

That said, really enjoying this series. Top three "most looking forward to next episode" of this season.

THE MANGA FOR THIS IS SOOO AWESOME and it already has 200 chapters out. It's not as popular as KnB but its still pretty well known.

Still can't get over how the art seems to be a bit :/ But on the other hand, I'm loving that cliffhanger :3 Can't wait for the next episode.

Apr 25, 2014 6:00 AM

Feb 2010
vansonbee said:
Glad everyone is enjoying the show so far. I'm a huge fan of the series before the anime ever started.

Never a huge fan of sports, but adding a little of romance makes it awesome for me! :D

Can't wait for a real match, bet the animation is decent.

You might have to wait for a while but it is worth it.
Apr 25, 2014 9:11 PM

Aug 2013
''Don't you think getting too close is a bad choice? He could get the wrong idea.''
Let me guess, she's a lesbian..? xD

Anyway, it was a good episode. Learned a bit more about the delinquant dude. He look choleric, or maybe just dumb.

In the end, Ei still can't beat that little brat :P
I'm sure he'll soon be able to.

I guess in the next episode, he will get that punch in the face x)
I doubt someone of his level could return one single 170km/h service, even with a lot of knowledge...
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 6, 2014

143 by JeremiahOrange »»
Oct 5, 2023 6:50 AM

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 21, 2014

93 by 1Konochi »»
Jun 14, 2023 5:49 PM

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 14, 2014

55 by 1Konochi »»
Jun 14, 2023 2:40 PM

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 7, 2014

54 by 1Konochi »»
Jun 5, 2023 12:04 PM

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 24, 2014

52 by 1Konochi »»
May 27, 2023 10:16 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.