Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Apr 19, 2014 6:40 AM

Sep 2013
Haven't read the manga, but you can tell it's faithful to it just by the art style and the adaptation of some scenes. I'm really loving it so far, I hope it keeps getting better and better.
Apr 19, 2014 6:44 AM

Feb 2012
Pretty great series so far. Hope it keeps it up :)

Apr 20, 2014 12:39 PM

Mar 2012
This is really good so far. I hope I learn a few things about volleyball along the way.
Apr 20, 2014 7:48 PM

Dec 2008
Those two idiots are probably going to knock each other out before they knock a ball over the next. Jeezus!!

Team Captain is AWESOME!!
Apr 20, 2014 11:33 PM

Sep 2013
Forget about the light and shadow comparison. These guys are more like Rukawa and Sakuragi from Slam Dunk. We'll probably NOT have to wait until the final play of the final match of the series to see them combine though. Looks like their team will have at least 3 strong players, with the captain being a middle school star.
Apr 21, 2014 5:47 PM

Apr 2014
The first episode was better in my opinion. I did like the introduction of the three new characters (the buzz-cut one was particularly entertaining) and the dynamics between Shouyou and Tobio. The fanservice wasn't really necessary. 4/5
HASSAN CHOP!
Apr 23, 2014 10:38 PM

Jan 2013
super fucking funny
follow me on tumblr @ http://x-hentai.tumblr.com/
Apr 24, 2014 3:29 AM

Oct 2009
Kiyoko.... (º﹃º) so gorgeous.......probably one of the most beautiful characters I've ever seen
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ
May 27, 2014 8:52 AM

Oct 2009
I can't stand that Kageyama guy! He's so self-centred and arrogant!

I kinda like Hinata cos he's full of heart and can be candid too. Tho I hoped he's no longer a crybaby like in junior high.

Gotta admit..the two main guys aren't as interesting as the sempai-tachi...

The part with the principal and his wig flying and landing on top of Sawamura's head was hilarious lol

I found Sawamura's voice familiar and I kept racking my brain throughout the ep thinking he's voiced by either Konishi Katsuyuki or Hosoyan but it turned out to be Hino Satoshi!

Megane guy gg to appear in the next ep! :D
Jun 1, 2014 1:19 PM

May 2013
They're going to turn into a good combo c:
Jun 7, 2014 5:17 PM
Apr 2014
The facial expressions are some of the best and funniest I've ever seen. Shows worth watching just for that.
Jun 16, 2014 2:01 PM

Jun 2011
dragonlight said:
I want to see these guys turn into best friends. :)

SasuNaru feels, anyone?

And Kiyomi <3
I'm pretty sure that she'll end up with either of them lol (mostlly Kageyama)
Jun 27, 2014 12:31 AM

Jun 2012
I like how the positions played by Kageyama and Hinata are basically presence without the presence of the other :p I really like the upperclassmen in this series, and the facial expressions can be pretty funny haha
君と僕の間によこたわる空
Jul 15, 2014 11:24 PM

Dec 2012
loved it!!!
Aug 16, 2014 8:46 PM

Dec 2012
TragicRomance said:
That wig! xD That captain's real personality, I saw it coming xD

One of the best looking glasses girl (ever) is here! Hinata is a very likable MC, one of the rare ones imo. Tobio is great too, he has a reason to be his arrogant self plus his arrogance isn't everything to his character. I am loving the rivalry xD

It's so refreshing... 10/10 for this episode.
Oct 4, 2014 1:13 PM

Dec 2012
That wig scene killed me, can't breathe. This reminds me of Slam dunk. I don't know much about volleyball, but the setter position sounds similar to the catcher in baseball. Both are unsung heroes that set up the spiker/pitcher to look good.
Oct 9, 2014 2:24 PM

Jan 2013
It's a begining of a friendship.
Thou, are they the only first year newcomers? I was expecting more.
Dec 9, 2014 3:32 AM
Nov 2013
Hard for them to handle each other
Jan 3, 2015 10:20 PM

Jul 2013
So far this series seems like if Sasuke and Naruto were volleyball players instead of ninjas.

I really like Tanaka so far. :) Really all of the captains seem great though.
Feb 21, 2015 11:32 AM
Mar 2013
it's okay so far. humour is pretty decent and the cast looks interesting.

I'm a bit disappointed though, I was expecting it to be better
Jul 29, 2015 12:39 AM

Mar 2012

lol what was up with that face? xD
Aug 1, 2015 6:39 AM

Dec 2013
Really enjoying that opening :)

Better than last episode. It's fun watching Hinata and Kageyama interact. The captain seems like a really cool guy. Probably my favourite character so far.

The bit with the principal's wig made me laugh XD
Oct 12, 2015 8:30 AM

Nov 2011
Fun and quite constructive in its early stages. The cast is populated enough, with enough cute characters, now they only characterize them as only one has had the chance. Drawings and animations of a good standard.
Oct 13, 2015 7:40 PM

Jun 2015
I think the series is great so far.
:)
Nov 15, 2015 7:32 AM

Jun 2009
Much better episode. These two need a lot of work on their attitudes.
Jan 3, 2016 2:54 PM

Oct 2013
Silver4000 said:
It's a begining of a friendship.
Thou, are they the only first year newcomers? I was expecting more.

Yes, I think they said there were 2 other newcomers? They will be playing against them in the next ep.
Feb 20, 2016 7:55 PM

Apr 2015
The dean's wig fell out, I can't help but laugh at that part. I like their captain, he knows exactly what to say at the right time, and knows how to motivate others. Kageyama and Hinata's interactions are amusing. Also, the OP and ED are really good. I might watch all the episodes in a day or two.

“Even if the attention isn’t forever, I’ll keep singing.”
Apr 8, 2016 7:51 AM

Jan 2012
better episode than last, 5/5! no complaints here!

the core cast has been really appealing. solid mc, solid rival, solid captain, solid comic relief. really interested in the core friendship developing. also i really like the direction/cuts of the episode and especially the comedy - the wig part really had me rolling.

everything you could ask from this genre, really.
Jun 22, 2016 5:29 PM

Apr 2015
Comedy looks good so far, and overall another pretty strong episode.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 25, 2016 5:12 PM

Mar 2014
I'm only two episodes in and my shipping factor detector is already off the charts

Y do dis 2 my poor fujoshit heart I.G.
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Oct 8, 2016 3:37 PM

May 2014
I actually really like Kageyama and Hinata, which surprised me because I was expecting Hinata to be an annoying loudmouth and Kageyama to have the personality of a brick wall...but they bounce off of each other so well.

Though the real star of this episode had to be Tanaka- he's hilarious, oh my god...his laugh makes me laugh!!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 30, 2017 6:57 PM

Dec 2016
I just love all the characters in this show, so much that this is my first ever rewatch of an anime!
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Feb 14, 2017 3:26 AM

Aug 2016
They have finally arrived ey.

And this scene made me laugh so hard xd

Set by SenpieX
Sep 30, 2017 7:47 AM

Jan 2013
Lmao a hilarious episode.
I havent laughed as loud at an anime scene for a long time but the whole vice principal skit got me :D

Also Tanaka is the best ^^
Nov 5, 2017 10:43 AM

Jun 2016
Kageyama and Hinata's catfight are always hilarious. Haha. They're not allowed to step foot on the gym unless they get along and now Kageyama asked his senpais to have a match with them to prove that him and Hinata can get along.

I wonder who's the other 2 freshmen.

I think I like Tanaka. He's hilarious. Haha.

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Jan 12, 2018 4:47 PM
Dec 2016
So I'm rewatching this again because the dub came out, and it's surprisingly good. Also, I love going back to these early episodes and seeing the first interactions between characters again, knowing how the story goes. I acually laughed out loud a couple times at the angry expressions Kageyama pulled, at Tanaka's antics and Hinata and Kageyama's antaginistic relationship.

The dub isn't perfect. There ae things that don't really work in English, for example that they occationally use the word "toss" when they mean "set". It gives the action a feel of being haphazard and unimportant, the very opposite of what Kageyama is going for. It works better in the original Japanese (though I don't claim to know Japanese well enough to understand what they're saying) because there it seems like a word specific to the volleyball action. The same can't be said for English, since tossing already is a word.

Also, it has to deal with trying to translate various honorifics. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesen't. Tanaka calling Daichi "boss" works, but him asking Hinata and Kageyama to call him "sir Tanaka" (Tanaka-sempai in the original) doesn't. I'm just waiting to find out how they handle the nicknames Oikawa gives to people, but I'm guessing it won't both fel natural and like it's in teh same vein as the original.

Actually, honorifics and nicknames is to me one of the biggest reasons why a Kuroko no Basket dub would probably have to deviate from the original too much. It's just such an integral part of the chracters that they have specific speech patterns, and ways of calling each other. There is no way to properly translate the way that Kuroko always calls everyone family name-kun, Kise adds -cchi to the names of people he respects (exept for Kasamatsu whom he just calls sempai), Bokushi calls everyone by their given name because he doesn't respect them and Oreshi calls everyone by their family name because he does. To me, the only two options are to scrap all of it (which really would be a shame considdering it adds personality to all the characters) of just keep it as is and let the enlish speaking audience figure out the difference between kun, san, chin, chan and so on.
Jan 20, 2018 6:53 AM

Nov 2017
Hmm, I'm getting excited about this so far! :) I like Hinata! I hope he and the other guy end up getting along.
Mar 19, 2018 6:33 PM

Oct 2016
O M G, Tanaka-Sempai is a god hahaha, I'm liking so much the relationship of Hinata and Kageyama, it's funny and the two can be a really good duo
Apr 10, 2018 9:58 PM

Jun 2016
The characters in this are colorful balls of energy and I'm loving it. I was somewhat scared that the side characters would be boring from the first episode, but this one proved that wouldn't be the case. Sure right now they're simple, Daichi was a scary but hilarious leader figure, and Tanaka was a jokester who loves acting like a cool delinquent and getting praise validating that he's the coolest guy in the world, and the other guy was practically just a nice guy, but I really do find them enjoyable. They compliment each other well.

I wasn't expecting Kageyama and Hinata to already show their similarities like they are. They're not that different from one another! Both played volleyball by themselves, Kageyama because of his narcissistic view of himself trying to play a one man game in a game about teamwork, and Hinata was forced to train by himself due to his unfortunate circumstances and lack of teammates. The argument over whether Spiker or Setter was 'cooler' was adorable and showed that both were inspired by very similar things and both are nearly as passionate as the other. I wonder if Kageyama had a 'little giant' type figure in his life too!

I was thrown off by the girl being introduced with two fan service shots of her plot, it made me hesitant for the future of women in this anime, but when it went back to show it was Hinata and Kageyama's perspective of her it made it okay. They're teenage boys and they're allured by her beauty and plot and it showed that well. I thought the detail about Tanaka exclaiming "it turns me on when she ignores me" being done again as a reminder he hasn't changed from last year in episode 1 was a nice detail.

The music is awesome to keep the energy going and I enjoy the brief moments of creative art and animation we get like Hinata tearing the flashback off the screen, or Daichi's announcement that by being strict on the two they'll fill out the others weaknesses.
May 19, 2019 1:07 PM

May 2015
Rip vicepresident wig.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Aug 23, 2019 4:49 PM
Jul 2014
THE VICE PRINCIPAL'S WIG OMGASKDFKDSKDJFKDSJFSKLDJFSJ
Dec 31, 2019 12:33 PM

Dec 2014
an d they are in the same school
Jan 24, 2020 5:56 AM

Jul 2013
Hinata and Kageyama's relationship reminds me of Sakuragi and Rukawa from Slam Dunk actually the characters themselves have similarities. Oh the nostalgia, that was a fantastic and hilarious show.
Mar 22, 2020 4:18 PM

Aug 2017
I didn't expect a female character in this show lol

Damn, Kageyama is really cute when he's angry. I have to see if he and Hinata win or lose in the next episode.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Apr 4, 2020 2:58 PM
Mar 2020
Um episodio muito bom, tem novos personagens que pode ser bem aproveitados no futuro episodios, mais gostei bastande do episodio
May 15, 2020 7:36 AM

Feb 2017
Shouyou was great at being the inspiring and understanding team leader when his friends came together to form the team in middle school. But it seems like he has more trouble being devoted as a subordinate when the bossy King of the Court is around to tell him what to do. He needs to reconcile his emotions and get in touch with his yin side.

Jun 8, 2020 12:16 PM

May 2018
The coach is really funny lol. Rip the vice president's wig
Jul 26, 2020 7:22 AM
Oct 2019
Tanaka is awesome. And that toupee scene was so damn funny I had to go back and watch it again. Tanaka's face had me dying.
Sep 21, 2020 3:08 AM

Feb 2019
I love the coach and the King :0
I am not a weeb, I simply enjoy 2D girls
Sep 24, 2020 6:24 PM

Sep 2020
The episode was nice and funny, but one thing is cringy is when the mood is happy, then turns out into a sad mood.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 6, 2014

303 by isxelle »»
Apr 28, 10:20 PM

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 20, 2014

154 by AnimeBeckYor »»
Apr 20, 7:37 PM

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 21, 2014

325 by Carpal_Tunnel69 »»
Apr 9, 10:20 PM

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 1, 2014

169 by ElGuaguaso »»
Mar 29, 12:50 AM

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 14, 2014

262 by iamsnakeuu »»
Mar 13, 7:43 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.