Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Irregular at Magic High School (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (18) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Apr 5, 2014 2:38 PM
Jan 2011
Looks like there is an incest element here.
Apr 5, 2014 2:39 PM

Aug 2013
I like the pacing of this anime so far, pretty solid 1st episode
Apr 5, 2014 2:40 PM
Jul 2018
Miyuki and Tatsuya were alright characters, it was a pretty good start for a magic show of the first episode.
Apr 5, 2014 2:45 PM

Apr 2012
A bit surprised that they showed Material Burst in episode 1, but it wasn't bad .
All in all pretty much what I expected from Madhouse. Definitely stoked for the next episode.

Apr 5, 2014 2:49 PM

Mar 2013
Great OP by LiSA, just like in Fate Zero and Sword Art Online...
Not much character development for the first episode but it will come! Anyways, calling it right now, it's between Mahouka and Mekakucity Actors to take the spot for best anime of the season!
Apr 5, 2014 2:50 PM

Jul 2010
Magic, WW III and discrimination? This is pretty interesting!
I wonder what is Tatsuya's secret?
Miyuki and her brother complex, the intro part was really interesting.
Apr 5, 2014 2:51 PM

Jan 2014
I don't like Miyuki's voice in the anime tbh, for some reason it makes me cringe

Apr 5, 2014 2:52 PM
Aug 2012
AsherFischell said:
Dragon_Slayer_X said:
Oh great the trolls and haters already started their bullshit. The author did a great job regarding characterization.......stop spreading self-made NONSENSE.

I didn't know Charlie Sheen posted on the MAL forums. What a surprise. You heard it hear first folks. Despite all of the characters being poorly-defined archetypes, if you don't think they're all amazingly written, you're both a troll and a hater.

No if after episode 1 you act like you are know-it-all and the characters, anime is bad then you are either trolling or hating. Stop trying to be a smartass buddy.

You are clearly being a troll spreading false info...........let the anime only viewers decide whether it's good or bad or gets better rather than pushing your own opinion. Did you saw me write "Hey this is a masterpiece so you absolutely must watch it!"...........

Apr 5, 2014 2:52 PM

Jan 2012
I guess you can't believe the hype. The first half was so annoying.Never before did I see a show where characters introduce themselves to each other for 10 minutes. Thankfully the second half made up for it. Overall the episode was mediocre.

Apr 5, 2014 2:54 PM

Feb 2013
I really hope there isnt gonna be any incest between Miyuki and Tatsuya :/
But really good ep.
Apr 5, 2014 2:56 PM

Jan 2014
Good first episode :) Looking forward for more!
Apr 5, 2014 2:58 PM

Feb 2012
Clearly a weird Siscon Brocon relationship(Lol @Chiba and Shibata went off when he touched miyukis face).. Got a feeling those two are def no related.... 1 ep and lots of people trolling this anime lol Can i say i hate character like hanzou... why the fuck you grilling Tatsuya mad hard when he did nothing
Apr 5, 2014 3:01 PM

Nov 2012
Great animation,especially during that sparing scene with Yakumo and when they use magic (really looking forward to seeing the magic fights seeing how good the regular fights looked).

The only downside/negative thing I would have to say about this episode was Miyuki's "Onii-sama" crap but it wasn't such a major deal that I'd dislike this because of it.

Can already tell this going to be my second favorite of the season and my 1st in expectation levels.
VanishingKiraApr 5, 2014 3:07 PM
Apr 5, 2014 3:01 PM

Nov 2013
Was a pretty decent episode. I liked the magic used in Mahou Sensou more tbh, but hopefully Madhouse won't screw up this time... Still, I'll keep my hopes at a minimum.
Apr 5, 2014 3:03 PM
Aug 2011
I find that these overblown LN adaptations have some of the crappiest character personalities ever as mains.
I'm just talking about their straight up personalities here (setting how powerful they may be aside).

Average visuals except for the action scenes which were pretty fluid, and I guess that's the important part anyway.

I can't be mad though because my expectations were set on the lowest setting since before this even aired.
Apr 5, 2014 3:03 PM
Aug 2012
DylDawg said:
Dragon_Slayer_X said:
phoenixalia said:
Dragon_Slayer_X said:

How should you know whether it has any plot if you read 20 pages? Learn some thing called patience.

Yes it has a very interesting plot but it's just another annoying fanboy speaking so feel free to ignore.

Dude, calm down. Ignore the haters. They have the right to express their opinions too. This anime was hyped to the max, so of course a lot of people are going to be disappointed.

Well i am having problem with the trolls rather than haters............but you are right, i need to chill. Thanks.

You remind of one poster in gamefaqs that doesn't want to accept another's opinion because of you loving something that others do not.

People can disagree, that's not my issue. But the thing i can't stand is trolling and that's where my comments are mostly directed at. If you think i am like that then you clearly haven't seen the wrost side of MAL yet.

Hint: Go visit Guilty Crown, SAO, SNK forums...........you will see shippers, haters, trolls, fanboys 10 times worse than i am.
Dragon_Slayer_XApr 5, 2014 3:09 PM

Apr 5, 2014 3:04 PM

Feb 2014
Whether it has incest or not I don't care. It looks interesting. Gonna see how it plays out.
Apr 5, 2014 3:10 PM
Mar 2014
I want incest ending already.
Apr 5, 2014 3:13 PM

Jul 2012
I counted 26 onii-samas throughout this episode. Rounded up, the episode is 24 minutes long.

That's a little over 1 oniisama per every minute that passes in the episode. Incredible.
Apr 5, 2014 3:14 PM

Apr 2013
This is a decent first episode, but nothing more really. The fight was nice and the premise seems interesting, but apart from that the characters (especially Tatsuya's sister) were quite monotonous and the pacing felt a bit off. Hopefully it is as LN readers said and this first arc is the weakest...
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Apr 5, 2014 3:14 PM

Apr 2009
At least ANN knows what's up.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Apr 5, 2014 3:15 PM

Nov 2013
so this is one of the most hyped shows of the season...

a *lot* of focus on the brother-sister relationship here - i'm still trying to figure out what kind of show it's gonna be. usually it takes a couple episodes to realize that it's a harem or a comedy or a deep action series.
Apr 5, 2014 3:17 PM

Jun 2013
This anime seems pretty interesting.
Miyuki is eh. Too much "oniiisama" for me.
So many secrets :o
If you feel attacked, you're part of the problem.

Even if things are painful and tough, people should appreciate what it means to be alive at all. — Yato
Apr 5, 2014 3:20 PM

Jan 2009

You are listing _ANN_ as witnesses for your case? :)

*lol*

Feb 2012
Ughhhhhh @ brocon. Can someone tell me if they are blood-related or not, seems like they were dropping hints that they aren't. It was alright, the fighting and magic were kinda cool.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Jan 2008
Note: will mention what will be covered in the manga within the anime, but won't go beyond that, so no need to worry about spoilers or comparisons...

Started reading the manga(s) a while ago, and was really stoked to see this get an anime adaption. First episode looks really good. Loving the sound effects, visuals, and action scenes. Considering the lengthy story, it's spinoffs, and sequels on the manga (still on-going as of writing this), they've got a lot of source material. I'm hoping they adapt all of it.

Looks like they're going to cover Nyuugaku-hen (first arc of the manga), and at least part of Kyuukousen-hen with showing a certain character in purple uniform in the ending sequence. That should be enough for 1-2 seasons...about half of what they currently have in the manga/novels.

Edit: Those reviewers don't know what the f*** they're talking about. They seem to be the type that would prefer mahou-shoujo.
Estoy_GordoApr 5, 2014 3:29 PM
Apr 5, 2014 3:21 PM
Aug 2012
Mentar said:

*lol*

Dude don't feed the troll............pretend you didn't see him.

Apr 5, 2014 3:34 PM
Nov 2013
Came in not knowing what to expect. The opening sequence with the world war and magicians as soldiers was amazing. Got me super pumped, but so far it looks like it was there just to add background and flavor to the show. Guess I have to be satisfied with magic teenagers in high school *yawn*. The magic looks great and it would be nice to get more of an introduction to the system and the rules behind it. I hope there will be more battles and more magic in future episodes. Interesting that they are so up front with the sister-brother romance, wonder how they will handle that. Overall, the first episode was pretty good.

4/5 I liked it
Apr 5, 2014 3:39 PM
May 2013
i have to say, the first episode gets me pretty hyped...looking forward to the next episode
Apr 5, 2014 3:39 PM
Aug 2012
DrPillow said:
Came in not knowing what to expect. The opening sequence with the world war and magicians as soldiers was amazing. Got me super pumped, but so far it looks like it was there just to add background and flavor to the show. Guess I have to be satisfied with magic teenagers in high school *yawn*. The magic looks great and it would be nice to get more of an introduction to the system and the rules behind it. I hope there will be more battles and more magic in future episodes. Interesting that they are so up front with the sister-brother romance, wonder how they will handle that. Overall, the first episode was pretty good.

4/5 I liked it

There are 3 minutes shorts that explain about magics and system quite a bit. You may want to watch them if you are interested.

Also for people thinking this is going to be another high school harem or brother-sister romance, you may be in for quite a surprise.

Apr 5, 2014 3:43 PM

Jun 2012
It's alright. I get a incest vibe though. lol
Apr 5, 2014 3:49 PM

Feb 2013
Pretty boring except the action. So all flash, which I will take for now since it's magic. Main dude seems okay too.

Czechbiohazard said:
It's alright. I get a incest vibe though. lol

You don't say?
Apr 5, 2014 3:50 PM

Jan 2012
Looking forward to seeing more! Pretty decent pace for the first episode and pretty much what I expected from it.
Live, Laugh, Love.

Apr 5, 2014 3:54 PM

Sep 2012
Those action sequences...love your work Madhouse.

Oh LiSA, you have done it again
Apr 5, 2014 3:55 PM

Jun 2013
The animation and music are top notch. It's the character's I'm worried about though, especially the imouto, she might turn very irritating.
Apr 5, 2014 3:57 PM

Apr 2013
Dragon_Slayer_X said:
Mentar said:

*lol*

Dude don't feed the troll............pretend you didn't see him.

So trolls are people with different opinions now? Aight then.
Apr 5, 2014 3:58 PM

Jul 2008
Okay guys if anyone want to seriously (and intelligently) discuss with me why the series is good/bad or have insecurities/questions about what will happen later then feel free to comment on my profile.

As expected the amount of trolls in the discussion thread is too big so I'll just avoid them from now on.
Apr 5, 2014 4:02 PM

Mar 2011

Everything said here is true, but the hilariously bad dialogues and magic as technology are what makes this series really enjoyable.
Apr 5, 2014 4:03 PM

Dec 2012
An interesting start with plenty of potential. The hand to hand fighting really showcases how great Madhouse can get. That guy in the ending (or is it opening?) looks like Suzaku from Code Geass. Miyuki's one sided brocon reactions are amusing. So far Tatsuya seems like a good balance of composed, intelligent, and yet not dull or one dimensionally monotonous.

Still have no idea what to expect with this series, but at least I have something to look forward to each Saturday. If anything I like how this first episode has kept the story vague instead of spoon feeding the objective right from the get go like some seem to expect.

PWJP said:

So trolls are people with different opinions now? Aight then.

Well he is a known pseudo elitist gentleman with refined tastes. He shitposts anything that isn't part of his niche circle of so called classics.
Apr 5, 2014 4:06 PM

Dec 2013
Wow. Certainly no middle ground to stand on here, apparently you have to either love it or hate it right from the gate. Sorry, not gonna buy into that crap. I am neither troll, nor am I fanboy.

So, here goes. First, I've never read the LN or manga, so I'm basing purely from JUST this episode. I didn't watch the specials either.

The basics: The VAs, and OP/ED were all well done. Hell of a cast line-up for this one.

Considering this is, in fact, the FIRST episode of a 2-cour series, it's impossible to comment on overall plot building. But, it seems to possess a certain mystery in the plot it did present, which seems interesting. The story seems to be intelligent and well developed, and the pacing was neither too slow nor too fast. If the episodes continue like this, this will be brilliant.

Characters didn't get much time to build because of the sheer number of them, but all of them were given enough of a look that we can see the stereotypes presented aren't necessarily all they have going. They presented a lot of mystery surrounding the MC, and dropped the word "secret" to grab attention, all classic blatant foreshadowing.

Even though I have not read the LN or manga, nor did I watch the specials, I caught on to the world building and magic pretty quickly and can figure most of it out on my own. The rest will come with time.

Overall, I'd say this episode was a pretty solid 8/10. It has great potential, and I'm interested to see where it goes. It may very well be one of the best for this season, depending on if it can keep up with what has been laid out in this first episode.
Odds are I'm not going to find my way back to a thread after my first post, it happens on occasion but not often. So, if I say something that offends you and you feel the need to force your opinion on me because obviously everyone should have your opinion or none at all, feel free to post it in the thread that I'll probably never see again. However, if you are interested in intelligent discourse, feel free to message me.
Apr 5, 2014 4:12 PM

Aug 2013
This was only the first episode, but already had high expectations even before the season starts, and will not seem to let me disapointed
the animation was good, I liked the OST and voices combined with the characters, especially Miyuki and Tatsuya
several characters have been presented, and the relationship of the brothers has already been demonstrated
also had a great fight scene, and demonstration of magic, it was very good the first episode
will have 26 episodes as the plot may be well worked
surely the anime promises to be one of the best of the season
_________

Este foi somente o primeiro episódio, mas ja tinha grandes expectativas antes mesmo da temporada começar, e não parece que vai me decepcionar
a animação foi boa, gostei da OST e as vozes combinaram com os personagens, principalmente Miyuki e Tatsuya
varios personagens já foram apresentados, e a relação dos irmãos ja foi demonstrada
teve também uma ótima cena de luta, e demonstração de magia, foi muito bom o primeiro episodio
como terá 26 episodios o enredo poderá ser muito bem trabalhado
com certeza o anime promete ser um dos melhores da temporada
Apr 5, 2014 4:22 PM

Jan 2013
I can't handle this... it's too blatant
Guess I'm not cut out for slice of life (if that's what this is)

Apr 5, 2014 4:28 PM

Mar 2011
I'll just imagine Ayase won and now it's her time to shine.
Apr 5, 2014 4:30 PM

Nov 2013
Still just the first episode so I will watch more of this.
Well it's the better then the other shows I've watched so far this season.
Apr 5, 2014 4:32 PM

Aug 2012
Animation is good, but not much else drawing me in so far. I also thought the piano OST during the ceremony was awkward and distracting.

I'll of course keep watching to see how the hype pans out, but nothing to wet your pants over so far.
Apr 5, 2014 4:34 PM

Jul 2010
Hell yes for LiSA.
Apr 5, 2014 4:37 PM

Oct 2012
i really liked the hand to hand combat scene, nice action, the ost was also great .

cant wait to see tatsuya kick some butt, especially of those discriminators xD
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
Apr 5, 2014 4:38 PM

Oct 2013
4 chapters in 1 episode :O
does anyone know how many episodes there will be?
Apr 5, 2014 4:41 PM

Jan 2013
As much as I dislike the little sister with a brother complex thing, Miyuki wasn't so bad. I really like Tatsuya and the world/fighting is cool. I'll keep watching but the little sister thing is going to bother me throughout the anime, which will probably make it less enjoyable.
Pages (18) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 30, 2014

248 by Fortunekeks »»
May 15, 6:20 PM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jun 7, 2014

248 by otakuweek »»
May 13, 6:42 PM

» Sooo is there incest in this anime ? (may contain spoilers )

Zyro_Plaze - Apr 26

33 by Champiggy »»
May 3, 8:12 AM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 27, 2014

457 by ExSant0 »»
Apr 19, 2:43 PM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 3, 2014

308 by taifd77 »»
Apr 6, 8:00 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.