Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Witchcraft Works
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Mar 26, 2014 5:27 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Too bad it's already over. This was one of the few weekly highlights for me. I'd love to have a second season. Shouldn't really be a problem with so many characters. I love the ED, too. It's a really catchy tune.

Gotta give it a 9/10, it was just so much fun to watch.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Mar 26, 2014 7:45 PM

Jan 2013
7.5/10
That troll kiss scene was actually pretty funny. Would have worked better if it ended in a serious kiss.
Overall great animation, somewhat alright story, boring male character, alright female characters.
Mar 26, 2014 9:24 PM

Jan 2013
What a crappy ending! Should have kissed her on the lips! Wuss....
Mar 26, 2014 10:04 PM

Sep 2013
Vooo said:
What a crappy ending! Should have kissed her on the lips! Wuss....

You're forgetting takamiya is the princess (who is tsundere) so it's all good ;)
Mar 26, 2014 11:39 PM

Aug 2013
You know what? Witch Craft Works was alright. I mean, half the time it was just nonsense from those 5 witches (super hilarious, by the way). And the other half of the time, it was just half-baked romance between Kagari and Takamiya.

Gave me some good laughs, so it wasn't bad at all. I enjoyed it.
Mar 27, 2014 3:05 AM
Jan 2010
story coherence is completely thrown out the window
Mar 27, 2014 3:10 AM

Apr 2012
Chronoire and Evermillion had some nice scenes. Evermillion's zone full of penguins was a nice touch. I wish there was more episodes of this fun, goofy anime. For some reason I keep thinking of Kyoukai no kanata now this is over and it was really refreshing to see jokes not rely on otaku memes and whoring the cast. Good job JC Staff!

Hopefully there'll be a season two.
EratiKMar 27, 2014 4:36 AM
Mar 27, 2014 4:33 AM

Mar 2013
Really wish this had more episodes. I suppose we will be getting an OVA soon so thats not too bad.

I dont know why it took me so long to realise this, but are they saying that Kagari actually has Takamiyas power instead of her own because of this contract. Can anyone tell me why she has this contract in the first place. Unless its a spoiler for further down the story please tell!
Mar 27, 2014 5:08 AM

Jun 2013
I'll give this one a generous 7, but it's closer to a 6.5.

Overall a forgettable show, but it didn't cause me agony to finish. I can also give some credit to the art for being pretty nice.

Takamiya further lowers my expectations for generic brown-haired male leads.

Just kiss the girl, god damnit!
Mar 27, 2014 10:09 AM

Nov 2007
I stalled out on the manga, but the anime was decent enough to watch. Actually liked it, but damn he should have kissed her. Guess I'll have to try reading another shot. What a wuss though. Wouldn't mind a second season, but didn't seem likely.
Mar 27, 2014 1:34 PM

Apr 2011
Buuu :( One of the few shows this season I'll miss :( Can't get enough of Tanpopo :D
Mar 27, 2014 2:24 PM

Aug 2013
Interesting ending, kinda disappointed in the battle between Kazane and Chronoire but overall enjoyed the episode.
My Candies:
Mar 27, 2014 8:57 PM

Nov 2008
I know I am really bad anime audiance and I am tick-head even to understand simple plot but if there are really kind and humble animelist outta there then would they kindly explain me two things I didn't get about in this about? That would be really gentlelady and man like:

1-) I understand the reason why Honoka didn't get killed due to offering himself as live sacrifice to Snow Hime but suddenly Ayaka-san interferes and says that she should be the one who should die yet still able to survive even hit by Snow Hime. So how the hell both of them survived in that moment. Was it because Snow Hime merciful and moved by their feelings and decided to help them without any cost? And after Ayaka-san sacrificed herself yeah their contract should have been severed and thus Honoka shouldn't be able to do anything by himself yet someone said that it was not Snow Hime but Honoka who saved the whole city by himself. So who the hell actually saved entire city? Wasn't Snow Hime the only one who was able to use big magic power just like Ayaka-san mother to save city in the first place? And yeah that's where my mind conffuzled
2-) Weekend-sama tried to understand Chronoire's main purpose or yet they thought they understoon Chronoire's initial purpose so what was the Chronoire's purpose that she mentioned? Is she just fighting freak who longs to fight with powerful magican's just like Weekend and was it her purpose to all along to fight againist Kazane in the first place? So if someone clear me her purposes in this anime then it would be really nice.

Banus question: Do you guys think there will be second season? At the end it said "The End" and I don't know if the anime is still continuing but I'd like to know more about Snow Hime after all.

Thanks for the answers and sorry for not reading previous messages cuz as I said I am kinda lazy monkey ass person who doesn't even understand the simple anime or manga plots lol. Thanks for everything in advance!
Mar 28, 2014 1:12 AM

Mar 2014
Qpax said:
I know I am really bad anime audiance and I am tick-head even to understand simple plot but if there are really kind and humble animelist outta there then would they kindly explain me two things I didn't get about in this about?

As a precaution, I add a spoiler tag.
Mar 28, 2014 2:24 AM

Jul 2013
Eh decent ending though it felt rushed all of a sudden. Come on, kiss already...

6.5/10. The directing and execution felt like it went to quick, like fast scene changes and characters talking to fast.

Also i kind of lost sympathy towards Kagari after episode 7. Her over protectiveness towards Honoka, kind of got me annoying, and also she won't even let Honoka trained to be equal with her. It is probably the reason why I don't like Honoka since the beginning of the season, when he is always watching Kagari doing all the work and standing behind her. I mean yes she is beautiful and OP but please let Honoka help you out instead of standing behind her.

There are a lot of characters in here which is pretty forgettable when they have no development.

Well at least there is some progression on Takamiya and Kagari for their powers, but a little romance won't hurt.
omega_d94Mar 28, 2014 2:42 AM

Mar 28, 2014 2:52 AM
Jan 2008
omega_d94 said:
Eh decent ending though it felt rushed all of a sudden. Come on, kiss already...

6.5/10. The directing and execution felt like it went to quick, like fast scene changes and characters talking to fast.

Also i kind of lost sympathy towards Kagari after episode 7. Her over protectiveness towards Honoka, kind of got me annoying, and also she won't even let Honoka trained to be equal with her. It is probably the reason why I don't like Honoka since the beginning of the season, when he is always watching Kagari doing all the work and standing behind her. I mean yes she is beautiful and OP but please let Honoka help you out instead of standing behind her.

There are a lot of characters in here which is pretty forgettable when they have no development.

Well at least there is some progression on Takamiya and Kagari for their powers, but a little romance won't hurt.

Hey, who knows, the source material isn't that far past where the anime left off (ended at ch. 27, manga is at 32). In fact, a key point is made in chapter 28.

That brings up an interesting point - I believe that they could have waited until more plot points were explained in better detail and more character development occurred, but they needed an anime to fill a slot so they went with WCW.
Mar 29, 2014 4:58 AM

Nov 2012
Not one of my favourite shows, liked the sister, disliked main male character.
Liked the ED but yeah, characters just didn't do it for me.
6/10

Mar 29, 2014 7:21 AM

Nov 2008
dmrch said:
Qpax said:
I know I am really bad anime audiance and I am tick-head even to understand simple plot but if there are really kind and humble animelist outta there then would they kindly explain me two things I didn't get about in this about?

Thanks for the answer and taking your time to write response back but I still don't understand Chronoire's purpose they were trying to imply or what was her reason to attack as Weekendo-sama mentioned -w-''
Mar 29, 2014 3:47 PM

Jun 2013
Qpax said:
dmrch said:
Qpax said:

Thanks for the answer and taking your time to write response back but I still don't understand Chronoire's purpose they were trying to imply or what was her reason to attack as Weekendo-sama mentioned -w-''

I don't know what her overall plan is, but Chronoire wanted to kill Weekend for using her. Its not complicated. Weekend got Chrono to make the pill and give it to Honoka to move along her plan. Chrono has a lot pride, she is a top witch, so she got pissed that someone like Weekend would use her, and would have killed her in retaliation if Kazane hadn't stepped in.
Mar 29, 2014 9:45 PM

Mar 2014
krownklown said:
Qpax said:
dmrch said:
Qpax said:

I don't know what her overall plan is, but Chronoire wanted to kill Weekend for using her. Its not complicated. Weekend got Chrono to make the pill and give it to Honoka to move along her plan. Chrono has a lot pride, she is a top witch, so she got pissed that someone like Weekend would use her, and would have killed her in retaliation if Kazane hadn't stepped in.

I have a different thought because Chronoire noticed that Weekend used her from the first. Maybe the reason is that she got hungry or she tried to prevent Weekend achieving the purpose or Weekend achieved her role for Chronoire. Yeah, Medusa, Chronoire and Weekend have no responsibility to each other. Their purposes were different among the three, why they want Honoka's power and how they get it. But those are unopened yet. And according to the author, Weekend's purpose will not be revealed forever.
Mar 30, 2014 3:29 AM

Jan 2014
Okay, after watching this episode, I have a question. A big question.

I think those of you who have seen both manga and anime would understand the plot better. At this point, it is kinda confusing to me.

So basically, Honoka asked the White Princess for power to save the city. And in return, he would have to give up his life. But at the last moment, Kagari sacrificed herself so he didn't die. Then the other characters said using another person's life (i.e. Kagari's) to fulfill contract with White Princess shouldn't have been possible.

Then towards the end, we saw a scene between White Princess and Young Kagari. They made a promise that if Honoka ever asked White Princess for power and it looked like he might die, the contract between Honoka and Kagari would be annulled. It seemed like that would return lost power to Honoka if I read the English subtitles correctly.

Now, to make sure I understood the plot, I would like to ask the the following questions:

1) So Honoka did not die even though he made a pact with the Princess was because Kagari's previous pact with the White Princess kicked in and returned power to Honoka?

2) And Kagari's previous pact with the White Princess meant that the power Honoka used to save the city belonged to him in the first place, so that's the loop hole that allowed Honoka to live, right? His pact with the Princess was for her (Princess) to grant him power in exchange for his life, BUT since he used his own power in the end, that rendered his pact with the White Princess ineffective?
Mar 30, 2014 4:52 AM

Jun 2013
Teckmeister said:
Okay, after watching this episode, I have a question. A big question.

I think those of you who have seen both manga and anime would understand the plot better. At this point, it is kinda confusing to me.

So basically, Honoka asked the White Princess for power to save the city. And in return, he would have to give up his life. But at the last moment, Kagari sacrificed herself so he didn't die. Then the other characters said using another person's life (i.e. Kagari's) to fulfill contract with White Princess shouldn't have been possible.

Then towards the end, we saw a scene between White Princess and Young Kagari. They made a promise that if Honoka ever asked White Princess for power and it looked like he might die, the contract between Honoka and Kagari would be annulled. It seemed like that would return lost power to Honoka if I read the English subtitles correctly.

Now, to make sure I understood the plot, I would like to ask the the following questions:

1) So Honoka did not die even though he made a pact with the Princess was because Kagari's previous pact with the White Princess kicked in and returned power to Honoka?

2) And Kagari's previous pact with the White Princess meant that the power Honoka used to save the city belonged to him in the first place, so that's the loop hole that allowed Honoka to live, right? His pact with the Princess was for her (Princess) to grant him power in exchange for his life, BUT since he used his own power in the end, that rendered his pact with the White Princess ineffective?

I think it is a little confusing, even having read the manga its not that clear but in summary

- Honoka apparently has god tier magic of his own, in addition to the white princess, think of naruto who uses his own power to seal kyuubi

- honoka appears week because his power goes to Kagari, the flame power has nothing to do with the white witch

- the thing where it gets tricky is that Kagari seems to be tied to Honoka through the white witch, that is how she can use his power, hence why she could make the deal with the white wtich

The last part is confusing because it seems to imply kagari is using the white witches power, but honoka uses his power to save the city, so the author needs to clear this up later, but who knows.

Nah I still think Chorno was ticked off, but since she felt she could beat weekend whenever, its more satisfying to defeat/kill her at the end, kind of giving hope and then taking it away.
Mar 30, 2014 9:20 AM

Mar 2010
There was stuff to like, but the main couple ultimately held this back for me. 6/10
Mar 30, 2014 8:41 PM

Sep 2013
Teckmeister said:
-snip-

Yes, everything you said is good.
Maybe they'll put it in the ova but here is the teacher saying what happened.
Spoiler
Wouldn't is supposed to be would, translation mistake
http://www.mangapanda.com/witch-craft-works/28

Chronoire was tricked and was mad so she was gonna kill weekend but kazane interrupted and medusa is unpredictable so using her in a plan is stupid.
Mar 31, 2014 4:30 AM

Mar 2014
dmrch said:
krownklown said:
I have a different thought because Chronoire noticed that Weekend used her from the first. Maybe the reason is that she got hungry or she tried to prevent Weekend achieving the purpose or Weekend achieved her role for Chronoire. Yeah, Medusa, Chronoire and Weekend have no responsibility to each other. Their purposes were different among the three, why they want Honoka's power and how they get it. But those are unopened yet. And according to the author, Weekend's purpose will not be revealed forever.
krownklown said:
Nah I still think Chorno was ticked off, but since she felt she could beat weekend whenever, its more satisfying to defeat/kill her at the end, kind of giving hope and then taking it away.
ichii_1 said:
Chronoire was tricked and was mad so she was gonna kill weekend but kazane interrupted and medusa is unpredictable so using her in a plan is stupid.

Now I agree your opinions under the circumstances. I might be reading too much into it.

In fact, there are many informations in the author blog. In his blog, he sometimes reveal advance hints that were hidden in the manga. And he dropped some hints of Chronoire's purpose which were not in the manga. Then I got confused. Tell the truth, I am still confused.

Anyway, as reading his blog, I guess that he determined the detailed plot beforehand. I expect that all mysteries will be solved.
Mar 31, 2014 11:03 PM

Aug 2013
My thoughts after watching this episode:

Have Kagari's boobs always been that big? Especially prominent when seen with her lying down...
Apr 1, 2014 4:52 PM

May 2013
Kyuutoryuu said:
Have Kagari's boobs always been that big? Especially prominent when seen with her lying down...

Yep, remember when Kazane placed Ayaka and Takamiya inside a prison cell, he was on the floor looking at them mostly because at such close distance they must have been impossible not to look at.
Apr 1, 2014 5:27 PM

Mar 2013
Finally got around to finishing this...overall meh 5/10
This final episode was a bit of a let down in terms of an ending, and they really should have explained the seal thing and the pact thing way better, considering they never really explained the seal thing at all or what would happen if they all broke.
Another disappointment was that when he was close to kissing her, he chickened out on the last second -_-
Will watch a season 2 if there is going to be one....
Apr 2, 2014 3:22 PM

Jan 2013
The end... so will this continue or is it a stop here?
Apr 2, 2014 7:01 PM
Jan 2008
ao_no_exo said:

The source manga is only 5 chapters beyond where they stopped in the anime (it ended at chapter 27, with a little modification in the very last scene). Tanpopo wasn't supposed to get back with the other members of Medusa's crew, but they could easily shoehorn in some line about that if they make more anime later and viola, problem solved.

There is an OVA that comes out on July 7th, but we don't know what it'll be yet. It could be some sort of fanservice thing or it could adapt the next three chapters (28, 29 and 30) before what seems like the next major arc starts in chapter 31.

If they can manage to adapt 28-30 well enough in the OVA without compressing them I'd rather them do that. I feel that when/if they do a season 2 in a few years it would be better to start with a strong arc instead of another episode or two of chapters that aren't that important to plot. Chapter 28 has some important points but 29 and 30 don't, so...ugh, I can't decide.

Whatever they do I'm sure it'll be good enough that I'll be satisfied with it.
ZodiacBeastApr 2, 2014 7:04 PM
Apr 3, 2014 3:18 AM

Jan 2013
ZodiacBeast said:
ao_no_exo said:

The source manga is only 5 chapters beyond where they stopped in the anime (it ended at chapter 27, with a little modification in the very last scene). Tanpopo wasn't supposed to get back with the other members of Medusa's crew, but they could easily shoehorn in some line about that if they make more anime later and viola, problem solved.

There is an OVA that comes out on July 7th, but we don't know what it'll be yet. It could be some sort of fanservice thing or it could adapt the next three chapters (28, 29 and 30) before what seems like the next major arc starts in chapter 31.

If they can manage to adapt 28-30 well enough in the OVA without compressing them I'd rather them do that. I feel that when/if they do a season 2 in a few years it would be better to start with a strong arc instead of another episode or two of chapters that aren't that important to plot. Chapter 28 has some important points but 29 and 30 don't, so...ugh, I can't decide.

Wow thank you, I was not expecting such a nice reply.
I see so basically an OVA would be nice to fit last 3 chapters. But it might also be just something about them. I would rather see the OVA about the 3 chapters.

As of a new season.. well I do hope there will be one as I quite enjoyed Takamiya's white stuff that the witch girls were trying to extract xD the show and wouldn't mind seeing more.
Apr 3, 2014 3:58 AM
Jan 2008
ao_no_exo said:
ZodiacBeast said:
ao_no_exo said:

Wow thank you, I was not expecting such a nice reply.
I see so basically an OVA would be nice to fit last 3 chapters. But it might also be just something about them. I would rather see the OVA about the 3 chapters.

As of a new season.. well I do hope there will be one as I quite enjoyed Takamiya's white stuff that the witch girls were trying to extract xD the show and wouldn't mind seeing more.

No problem, you're welcome.

I too hope to see a second season. The manga has been monthly for a while now. In fact, it's almost time for a new chapter!.

With 12 chapters a year it'll be a few years, but I'll be here waiting.
Apr 3, 2014 5:23 AM

Jan 2013
ZodiacBeast said:
I will probably forget about it by then ;-;.
Apr 3, 2014 5:26 PM

Jun 2013
Sales are looking decent, especially for a winter show, and it was kind of an odd ball as well.

I don't think the ova will cover anything more from the manga. OVA nowadays means a fanservice episode, and its not like anything major happens in those 3 chapters.

That said hopefully a few years from now we can get a sequel. I mean they only scratched the surface and aren't even close to revealing let alone resolving what the main plot of the work is.
Apr 3, 2014 5:36 PM

Aug 2013
ZodiacBeast said:
DrGeroCreation said:
ZodiacBeast said:
such as Honoka and Ayaka becoming so powerful that they become witches that rise to another plane of reality (wasn't that mentioned somewhere?).
I don't think that was ever mentioned and I really hope something like that wouldn't happen.

I'd swear that somebody said something like that, but it could have been somebody speculating and saying "hey, this part indicates blah blah blah". I'm reading through again just to see if anything like this was said but now I doubt it. There's nothing through chapter 18 and fighting Weekend would be too busy to talk about something like that.
You are right that was mentioned and by the author actually as krownklown pointed out http://pastebin.com/RTGSqtBb

krownklown said:
Yes the author confirmed that witches once they reach a certain level of power ascend into Godhood and leave the mortal realm. However, some witches despite having the ability to move on decided to stay, and took on the title "end". Ie Weekend.

However, over time it seems like witches became weaker and so end starting to just refer to witch who got a lot hype, kind of like the title 7 warlords in one piece, specifically buggy. But in theory the possibilities still does exist.
I think Evermillion is one of the witches that could ascend into godhood but stayed behind while Kazane, Chronoire have end titles because of their reputation and power. I also believe Weekend has an end title because of how crafty and tactical she is not because she is strong.
Apr 3, 2014 6:12 PM
Apr 4, 2014 2:25 AM

Dec 2011
Wow umm... Talk about a great way to end the show, have the MC be too much of a little bitch to kiss his woman on the lips even when he's under the impression that a kiss is the only thing that would save her life. The anime industry and perhaps even Japanese society itself needs to get over being so awkward and shy about intimacy. Its not cute and it certainly isn't the way to end a season. And it was just so much worst within the context of that situation.

But that was the only thing I disliked about this anime. It was a good mindless type of fun and I was even gonna give it 8/10 for entertainment value alone but I might knock it down one because of the wimped out ending.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 4, 2014 3:49 AM

Jun 2013
LayedBack said:
Wow umm... Talk about a great way to end the show, have the MC be too much of a little bitch to kiss his woman on the lips even when he's under the impression that a kiss is the only thing that would save her life. The anime industry and perhaps even Japanese society itself needs to get over being so awkward and shy about intimacy. Its not cute and it certainly isn't the way to end a season. And it was just so much worst within the context of that situation.

But that was the only thing I disliked about this anime. It was a good mindless type of fun and I was even gonna give it 8/10 for entertainment value alone but I might knock it down one because of the wimped out ending.

Sigh I already explained this once on another thread, but will do so one more time here.
WCW is a deconstruction/inversion. Essentially Kagari is actually the male character/role while Honoka takes on the female role. Its not hard to pick up, Kagari is stoic, over protective, physically large, the one does the fighting etc. Honoka is emotional, shy and lacking self confidence, and basically a damsel in distress. Basically this is a shoujo romance overlapped on an action setting, with the gender roles reversed.

So Honoka as a shy "female" character can't kiss "her" love interest because "she" is too pure and shy. Its not poor character development, its actually really good character writing.
Apr 4, 2014 7:44 AM

Apr 2013
Apr 4, 2014 9:11 AM

Mar 2014
krownklown said:
LayedBack said:
Sigh I already explained this once on another thread, but will do so one more time here.
WCW is a deconstruction/inversion. Essentially Kagari is actually the male character/role while Honoka takes on the female role. Its not hard to pick up, Kagari is stoic, over protective, physically large, the one does the fighting etc. Honoka is emotional, shy and lacking self confidence, and basically a damsel in distress. Basically this is a shoujo romance overlapped on an action setting, with the gender roles reversed.

So Honoka as a shy "female" character can't kiss "her" love interest because "she" is too pure and shy. Its not poor character development, its actually really good character writing.

I add one more.

That is the comedy part that Honoka couldn't kiss her lips even though he had the courage to sacrifice himself to save the entire city. It was a point to laugh at. Japanese fans of WCW laughed at this joke. It's funny that he talked about Japanese shyness.

Almost all fans in Japan realize that WCW is a deconstruction/inversion, as krownklown said. It can be understood from that WCW is surrounded by the strange atmosphere that friends and enemies sometimes get along well though their conflict. The most obvious stuff is that the all enemies called him "Takamiya-kun" even though they aimed to kill Honoka. In the Japanese language, it is NEVER added "-kun" to name of a target person to be killed. Adding "-kun" express their intimacy or their respect in Japanese.
Apr 4, 2014 9:50 AM

Dec 2011
Yeah well I didn't appreciate the joke if that was what it was. And I even got the whole inverse thing, that much was obvious. Its just a matter of principle, kiss the girl or "guy" when put in that situation. Anime pulls this type of crap all of the time and it just comes off as annoying. And I don't really see WCW as much of a parody so the joke really seems misplaced. I'm sure their are plenty of casanovas in Japan, but conversely its also got one of the lowest birth rates in the world to the point where there economy is in a lot of danger in the future if things keep up this way. Multiple factors are contributing to that, but their ability to have romance and healthy relationships is one of them. Part of that is probably because they used to be an arranged marriage culture.

To reiterate, I don't see why it would be any more amusing if a female were put in that situation and acted that way. It would still be irritating. Also I don't see why the show having 'frienemys' would make a difference in our discussion. Their were still a few villains who would kill without remorse.
LayedBackApr 4, 2014 10:19 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 4, 2014 1:13 PM

Mar 2014
LayedBack said:
Yeah well I didn't appreciate the joke if that was what it was. And I even got the whole inverse thing, that much was obvious. Its just a matter of principle, kiss the girl or "guy" when put in that situation. Anime pulls this type of crap all of the time and it just comes off as annoying. And I don't really see WCW as much of a parody so the joke really seems misplaced. I'm sure their are plenty of casanovas in Japan, but conversely its also got one of the lowest birth rates in the world to the point where there economy is in a lot of danger in the future if things keep up this way. Multiple factors are contributing to that, but their ability to have romance and healthy relationships is one of them. Part of that is probably because they used to be an arranged marriage culture.

To reiterate, I don't see why it would be any more amusing if a female were put in that situation and acted that way. It would still be irritating. Also I don't see why the show having 'frienemys' would make a difference in our discussion. Their were still a few villains who would kill without remorse.

I have no confidence to understand your comment because of my poorness of English. If I have any misunderstanding, sorry for you.

Almost witches were not afraid to be killed. Medusa, Rinon and so gave up their lives immediately when they were defeated. And almost of them could kill their enemy with no remorse. But they were usually laid‐back. This relationships of 'frenemies' shows that WCW isn't straight. In addition, if you understand the Japanese language, probably WCW will be a more strange thing for you. This deconstruction indicates that WCW sometimes goes to where we didn't expect. The controlled absurdity in it is one of the enjoyable points of WCW. I thought that you needed to know the premise and I replied it.

If you still think that the scene of his kiss was needed, I don't have a opinion against you. I actually think that should be so. On the other hand, if he had kissed her lips, it would be difficult to link the second season.

And about the lowest birth rates, maybe it is not much different between the white persons in G8 nations without Japan and the U.S., and the Japanese in Japan. For example, the birth rates of Germany and Italy are almost same as it of Japan, even though they are regarded as passionate than the Japanese. (in 2011, Japan: 1.39, Germany: 1.36, Italy:1.41, Spain: 1.36). The difference about populations is caused by the immigrants. The way of representation of all animes doesn't concern much. Maybe the ability to have romance and healthy relationships also doesn't concern much.
dmrchApr 4, 2014 1:40 PM
Apr 4, 2014 3:41 PM

Jun 2013
LayedBack said:

I am assuming the answer is no, but I will ask anyway, have you ever read or seen an a shoujo anime/manga. That would explain it right away. It has nothing to do with some Japanese cowardice or some other preposterous notion.

Typically the lead in a shoujo is a girl who tends to lack confidence, but somehow manages to win the eye of the cool stoic guy and/or hyperactive fun guy. She tends to build on work on her confidence, but ultimately its actually expected that the guy kisses her, and she freaks out whenever she has to initiate anything. And honestly its not far fetched either, different cultures have different attitudes and even amongst people of the same culture you have folks who act completely different to the same situation.

Also it should be noted this is an ongoing work that seems to be nowhere near completion, so whose to say he doesn't eventually kiss her.
Apr 4, 2014 7:00 PM
Mar 2012
WCW had some of the better/best character/familiar fight animation.
Enough funny moments & characters, though the main couple don't interest me despite the uniqueness of this pairing.
Literal crocodile tears...
Penguins everywhere... penguin as a rolling haystack in the duel was looolll
Tied up llama
Tower witch with ears sown together... lol why?

There's a lot of world building, and plot seems messy at times. Seems they needed more time or episodes to flesh out the main couple's past & explain more. Though it remains entertaining regardless of knowing the motivations/goals of each witch party.
Apr 5, 2014 9:55 AM

Oct 2011
It was an OK anime but I would enjoy it a lot more if the MC wasn't so pathetic all the time.
"OK dude just kiss her and you'll save her life"
"F*ck the bitch, let her die, it's to embarrassing."
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines.
Apr 5, 2014 9:58 AM

Aug 2013
dmrch said:
That is the comedy part that Honoka couldn't kiss her lips even though he had the courage to sacrifice himself to save the entire city.
More people need to realize this.
Apr 5, 2014 6:37 PM

Sep 2013
I just now realized. Honoka has the determination and ability to make a decision that few, if any, characters can make: sacrifice 1 or 2 to save thousands. Whats more, he was regrettably willing to even sacrifice one he undoubtedly has feelings for. I already respected Honoka before that realization but he just friggin skyrocketed up my favorite characters list. Also, the music playing during his believed sacrifice is friggin god-tier and I NEED IT! Dammit why do we have to wait til 21 May for the OST!?!?
Old_RavenApr 5, 2014 6:40 PM
Apr 6, 2014 6:23 PM

Jun 2013
Old_Raven said:
I just now realized. Honoka has the determination and ability to make a decision that few, if any, characters can make: sacrifice 1 or 2 to save thousands. Whats more, he was regrettably willing to even sacrifice one he undoubtedly has feelings for. I already respected Honoka before that realization but he just friggin skyrocketed up my favorite characters list. Also, the music playing during his believed sacrifice is friggin god-tier and I NEED IT! Dammit why do we have to wait til 21 May for the OST!?!?

Yea its sad people criticize a character who was willing to sacrifice his eyes without heistation, and then later on sacrifice his life and the life of the one he loves. Something that people would crap their pants if put in the same situation. But oh no, he did not kiss her on the lips, what a terrible character and a coward.
Apr 7, 2014 3:07 AM

Mar 2014
krownklown said:

WCW is a deconstruction/inversion. Essentially Kagari is actually the male character/role while Honoka takes on the female role. Its not hard to pick up, Kagari is stoic, over protective, physically large, the one does the fighting etc. Honoka is emotional, shy and lacking self confidence, and basically a damsel in distress.

Maybe you know, but I write to make sure of it.

Honoka is basically a female name. In planning of WCW, The author set Honoka as a female character once. Finally Honoka was set as a male character, but the name wasn't changed. The Japanese are forced to think that something like deconstruction/inversion exists in this work, when they find his name in the first of the first episode. It is a magnificent structure of WCW.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Witch Craft Works Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 9, 2014

56 by RGreatDanton »»
Jan 24, 11:00 AM

Poll: » Witch Craft Works Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 2, 2014

49 by RGreatDanton »»
Jan 24, 10:47 AM

Poll: » Witch Craft Works Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 23, 2014

84 by RGreatDanton »»
Jan 24, 6:32 AM

Poll: » Witch Craft Works Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 16, 2014

88 by RGreatDanton »»
Jan 24, 6:15 AM

Poll: » Witch Craft Works Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 2, 2014

118 by RGreatDanton »»
Jan 23, 12:18 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.