Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Spice and Wolf (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Aug 29, 2009 2:07 PM
Jul 2009
Mikiyo said:

HES NOT EXPENSIVE! God damn woman, leave him alone. Heck I totally get grumpy when I remember of that fucking joke in episode 7, when she -actually- says hes too old and -probably- virgin.

Well, when she originally said he was "expensive," it was a reference to how difficult it has been to get him to act boyfriendish. She's been pushing him for over a year to hold hands, say I Love You, kiss, and sleep together, and he always shrugs it off. So "expensive" meant that it's just too much fucking WORK to acquire him. I can see why she'd feel that way.

But from his POV, his reactions are understandable, since her approaches are usually like she's trying to "win" a game (and if he is seduced, he will "lose" to her), so I respect him for refusing to be played in that way. But what he didn't understand for a long time, was that she sincerely likes him and the playfulness is only on the surface.

And honestly, I wouldn't have been surprised if he'd been a virgin, he guards his chastity like a freaking Vestal.
jacketboyAug 29, 2009 2:13 PM
Aug 29, 2009 2:09 PM
Jul 2009
For the record, Fruhl ("Fleur"?) is freaking hot.

She represents the perfect human partner for Lawrence. If Horo had never met him, Fruhl would be his soulmate.
jacketboyAug 29, 2009 2:18 PM
Aug 29, 2009 3:04 PM

Jan 2009
israfel070 said:
Mikiyo said:

HES NOT EXPENSIVE! God damn woman, leave him alone. Heck I totally get grumpy when I remember of that fucking joke in episode 7, when she -actually- says hes too old and -probably- virgin.

Well, when she originally said he was "expensive," it was a reference to how difficult it has been to get him to act boyfriendish.
No actually with expensive she means hes old and no one would actually chose him.

My Anime List. | 皆は見つけられる必要がある。 | Relentless.
Aug 29, 2009 3:46 PM
Jul 2009
Mikiyo said:
israfel070 said:
Mikiyo said:

Well, when she originally said he was "expensive," it was a reference to how difficult it has been to get him to act boyfriendish.
No actually with expensive she means hes old and no one would actually chose him.

He's 25 and she's 600, that interpretation just doesn't make sense.
Aug 29, 2009 4:35 PM

Jan 2009
israfel070 said:
Mikiyo said:
israfel070 said:
Mikiyo said:

Not really important here but.. isn't she more like.. 700?: D
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Aug 29, 2009 4:44 PM

Jun 2007
Monad said:
DeathfireD said:
Charliehsv said:
DeathfireD said:

^this and another shitty encoded episode by Mazui.

I had absolutely no trouble watching the episode though...maybe it's something on your end?

Are you using CCCP? If so are you using the version on their main page or the beta? I've talked with Mazui and they seem to think it's because I'm not using the beta since both episode 6 and 8 load fine in MPC for them. VLC seems to be the only thing I can watch 6 and 8 with rightnow.

Why don't you get it? You are the only one with the problem. I had no problem watching ether. Something is wrong with your PC. Mybe your codecs have a conflict problem. Just unistall and install MPC again.
It plays fine in every player i use in my PC. If you can't make MPC work even after reinstalling then just use CoreAVC Professional. It would probably solve your problems and help for any other problems that may appear in other HD blu-ray ribs like the ones Thora is using.

Have you looked at their site? There's a list of people complaining about the same issues at the same spots in the episode that I am having problems with. I'm not going to install or fuck around with codecs just to get two of Mazui's episodes to work in MPC or Zoom player. This is the only group I've had "freeze video" issues with where the video freezes and the audio continues for 20 to 30 seconds before the video unfreezes. VLC is the only player so far that I can get to play episodes 6 and 8 flawlessly since it pre-loads and tries to correct any issues it finds in the video.

I suspect maybe something wrong happened to the file as it was downloading since the file I have has the freeze issue on every computer I've tried it on (4 so far).
Aug 29, 2009 7:40 PM

Jan 2009
israfel070 said:
Mikiyo said:
israfel070 said:
Mikiyo said:

Didn't you read my first post? She said "You're too expensive. Has anybody even bought you yet?" She's saying that hes very sexually inhibited, that he could be a virgin even at his age.

You might wanna go back and watch the episode again because it seems you haven't get the joke :/

Aug 29, 2009 7:51 PM
Jul 2009
facepalm.jpg
Aug 29, 2009 7:59 PM

Jan 2009
Empty post is empty.

Aug 29, 2009 9:20 PM
Aug 2009
Mikiyo said:
israfel070 said:
Mikiyo said:
israfel070 said:
Mikiyo said:

Didn't you read my first post? She said "You're too expensive. Has anybody even bought you yet?" She's saying that hes very sexually inhibited, that he could be a virgin even at his age.

You might wanna go back and watch the episode again because it seems you haven't get the joke :/

If real people don't quite catch it, don't you think it's possible that Lawrence misinterprets her words and actions as well? :)

Frankly I find Horo's behavior is getting irritating. She's definitely frustrated. Clearly her usual games aren't working, yet she keeps playing them. Lawrence, like a loyal idiot, keeps playing them to win - he must have felt like a million bucks when he "won" on the stairs, right up until she reversed it on him (as usual). Then it was back into the dog house with him!

I think that Horo's pride (or fear) is the biggest problem here. She knows he's a clueless fool who can't articulate himself. By now she knows how highly he values her (from the speech she overhead him have with Deanna in ep7). To me this implies that Horo really doesn't know what she's doing, or that she is deliberately being vague because she's still not 100% sure whether she wants a relationship of that type (which the second OVA implied).

Lawrence isn't helping, though, because he clearly can't find the right words to say what he feels. He clearly has confidence, given his performances this episode (although I doubt he has as much confidence in front of Horo). He's implied that he's interested in taking the relationship to the next level, through various words/gestures in the last two episodes. So what's keeping him? Is he still not convinced that Horo reciprocates? I wonder..
Aug 29, 2009 9:49 PM
Jul 2009
....doublefacepalm.jpg

Bash, I'm getting more and more frustrated with Mazui's translations. I have been posting the facts as explained in the books ALL SEASON LONG, if various forums, because the subtitles are giving people the wrong ideas.

In this ep, for example, Horo clearly says that smelling the town's staple food (beaver meat) has been triggering memories for her, ever since they came here. When Lawrence brings home an actual package of the stuff, it takes effort for her to not cry from the bad memories. Then she goes straight to Lawrence and says she'll never forget his smell. She has made a point, in this town, of asking Lawrence not to get involved in their usual drama, she wants to keep him close and is sad when he persists in leaving to do business every evening. Lawrence assumes she's worried about other women, but she tells him that's not the problem.

Of course, you would never realize what she's talking about, since Mazui translated it as "I nearly cried from nostalgia," which has a nice, positive, fond-memories kind of connotation, rather than the negative way she said that in Japanese.

tl;dr She's not playing games. And she's totally head-over-heels for him. The books make it exceptionally clear in the narrative, over and over, but the anime is restricting us only to Lawrence's insecure thoughts.

Horo has been the one pushing their relationship along from the very beginning. She has tried to get him to hold hands, say I Love You, kiss, and sleep together (several times, not only the freaking-out GIVEMEABABY time). Lawrence has always resisted because he feels like she's only trying to "beat" him at a game. Horo feels that their romance has a very solid foundation, so her banter is only on the surface, only playful.

Also, I'm going to go post in the Ep07 thread and explain the hand-kiss scene, since it seems like the subs failed most viewers in that case as well.
jacketboyAug 29, 2009 11:08 PM
Aug 30, 2009 4:00 AM

May 2008
Great episode, not as much Horo as last episode but there were still some nice HoroxLawrence scenes. I like Fruhl/Abe aswell, she's an interesting character. :D
Didn't know that she was acted by Paku Romi aswell...always a nice bonus. ^^
Aug 30, 2009 5:22 AM

Jan 2009
Lawrence sure knows how to talk this season. Horo's style of talking has had such a great impact on him.

Anyway as per normal, a good "calm-before-the-storm" episode. Looking forward to the next one.
Aug 30, 2009 6:44 AM
Aug 2009
@israfel070, thanks. Based on what you said, if the anime and fansubs are making this so vague I can see how Lawrence would be missing the point. I guess I'll have to patiently wait for the English translations or learn Japanese/Chinese (and maybe in 10+ years I'll know enough of the subtleties of the language to not make the same mistakes the subbers are making..)

I have been getting the impression that Lawrence is gearing himself up to admit his feelings, but based on what you said I can now interpret his behavior as him consciously burying his feelings instead.
Aug 30, 2009 6:52 AM

Jan 2009
I see, but you must explain yourself before giving such statement, there are a lot of ways to deduce what's shes saying and several ways to understand what she says from that context, good to know now.

Aug 30, 2009 2:38 PM

Oct 2008
israfel070 said:
....doublefacepalm.jpg

Bash, I'm getting more and more frustrated with Mazui's translations. I have been posting the facts as explained in the books ALL SEASON LONG, if various forums, because the subtitles are giving people the wrong ideas.

In this ep, for example, Horo clearly says that smelling the town's staple food (beaver meat) has been triggering memories for her, ever since they came here. When Lawrence brings home an actual package of the stuff, it takes effort for her to not cry from the bad memories. Then she goes straight to Lawrence and says she'll never forget his smell. She has made a point, in this town, of asking Lawrence not to get involved in their usual drama, she wants to keep him close and is sad when he persists in leaving to do business every evening. Lawrence assumes she's worried about other women, but she tells him that's not the problem.

Of course, you would never realize what she's talking about, since Mazui translated it as "I nearly cried from nostalgia," which has a nice, positive, fond-memories kind of connotation, rather than the negative way she said that in Japanese.

tl;dr She's not playing games. And she's totally head-over-heels for him. The books make it exceptionally clear in the narrative, over and over, but the anime is restricting us only to Lawrence's insecure thoughts.

Horo has been the one pushing their relationship along from the very beginning. She has tried to get him to hold hands, say I Love You, kiss, and sleep together (several times, not only the freaking-out GIVEMEABABY time). Lawrence has always resisted because he feels like she's only trying to "beat" him at a game. Horo feels that their romance has a very solid foundation, so her banter is only on the surface, only playful.

Also, I'm going to go post in the Ep07 thread and explain the hand-kiss scene, since it seems like the subs failed most viewers in that case as well.

I agree.
Lawrence you chiken! Confess already!
Though the new woman looks interesting too but I doubt her rough looks and shrewd personality is match for Horo's.
Aug 30, 2009 5:51 PM

Aug 2008
I'm with the people who think the bar girl is hot :D

Lol, anyways, this episode was slow. This show hasn't been recovering since the Amarti arc :< Nonetheless, I'm still keeping my hopes up and hope for the second season to have some kind of grand finale.

Thanks, person who gave me this on another site a long time ago, lol.
Aug 30, 2009 6:18 PM

Sep 2008
BashZeStampeedo said:
Mikiyo said:
israfel070 said:
Mikiyo said:
israfel070 said:
Mikiyo said:

If real people don't quite catch it, don't you think it's possible that Lawrence misinterprets her words and actions as well? :)

Frankly I find Horo's behavior is getting irritating. She's definitely frustrated. Clearly her usual games aren't working, yet she keeps playing them. Lawrence, like a loyal idiot, keeps playing them to win - he must have felt like a million bucks when he "won" on the stairs, right up until she reversed it on him (as usual). Then it was back into the dog house with him!

I think that Horo's pride (or fear) is the biggest problem here. She knows he's a clueless fool who can't articulate himself. By now she knows how highly he values her (from the speech she overhead him have with Deanna in ep7). To me this implies that Horo really doesn't know what she's doing, or that she is deliberately being vague because she's still not 100% sure whether she wants a relationship of that type (which the second OVA implied).

Lawrence isn't helping, though, because he clearly can't find the right words to say what he feels. He clearly has confidence, given his performances this episode (although I doubt he has as much confidence in front of Horo). He's implied that he's interested in taking the relationship to the next level, through various words/gestures in the last two episodes. So what's keeping him? Is he still not convinced that Horo reciprocates? I wonder..

Whats keeping Lawrence is that fact that shes gonna leave him once they get Yoitsu. So he keeps telling him self not to get attached because it will just be all that hard to let go of her when the time comes.

And whats holding up Horo is that fact that Lawrence's life span is a blink of an eye compared to her's and he's already 25 which back then was considered past his prime for a male, hell the common person lived till about what 40 or 50 in those times?

So both of them are heavily conflicted, one half of them wants to push forward with this romance and the other half knows that if they do it's gonna be really painful in the end.
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Aug 31, 2009 3:44 AM

Dec 2007
As usual I really liked this episode though it was really slow. I'm also interested to find out how its going to go with Abe.
Aug 31, 2009 3:59 AM
Mar 2008
Average life expectancy in the medieval times differs but generally it was 35 years average, that means people could get older, but many died with/during childbirth so that evens out and generally wars and such can lower this even more drastic, not to mention plagues (common).

But traveling merchants definitely are not the ones that get to 90 years - I am hoping for happy end but given that she is immortal there is no such thing as a happy end to begin with. The anime is crawling steadily to the most tragic ending possible imo. In many ways this follows the story of the lord of the rings trilogy romance between .. you know whom.. ;) Wouldn't be shocked if they would take the ending to that extreme as well, given that the makers don't seem to shy away from making "total shock" episodes ;p
Aug 31, 2009 6:20 AM

Feb 2008
israfel070 said:

Thanks for the insightful explanations. Do you know if the translation of one of the other sub-groups (Frosti, SFW etc.) is more accurate?
Aug 31, 2009 6:54 AM

Jul 2008
Let the jealousy begin...uhhh..again.
Aug 31, 2009 8:09 AM
Jul 2009
give the suber's a break, if it wer'nt for them we wold'nt know rougthly wot they are saying & we'd have to wait untill the offical translation. i don't know about usa but i have'nt heard about a uk release of the anime but they are going to be selling the light novels over here so i hope the do a subed insted of a dubed version of the anime.
thanks to all the subers
Aug 31, 2009 1:21 PM
Aug 2009
spacedfuzz said:
give the suber's a break, if it wer'nt for them we wold'nt know rougthly wot they are saying & we'd have to wait untill the offical translation. i don't know about usa but i have'nt heard about a uk release of the anime but they are going to be selling the light novels over here so i hope the do a subed insted of a dubed version of the anime.
thanks to all the subers

The subbers know we appreciate the work they put into things. But when it's a rush-job and it doesn't do justice to the source material then things can quite ugly really fast. Especially in a story as intricate and nuanced as this. As someone who's translated between Polish and English, I know the challenges. Don't think for a second that we don't appreciate the effort.
Aug 31, 2009 3:22 PM

Jul 2009
fan-sub has always been difficult and mistakes are sometimes just unavoidable.
I believe Japanese-Chinese is a bit easier to translate, but even in chinese subs I spot mistakes quit regularly.
For example during the "stair scene" in S&W episode7 (15:40), Lawrence said, according to the chinese sub i watched:
"then we must clap our hands regularly so that the 'magic spell' wouldnt fade".
This very same sentence is translated by Mazui into:
"Then we mustn't clap out (our?) hands, so as to keep it (the spell) intact." (which makes far more sense to me in the context)
For the shows i personally have great interest in (like S&W and Haruhi), I often rewatch those episodes I dont quite get in another language. It is usually very helpful. but the best would be, of course, to be able to understand the original language (which is what I am planning to learn :-) )

ps: to clear some of those misunderstandings is also what this thread is for ;-)
vinesageAug 31, 2009 3:31 PM
Aug 31, 2009 4:07 PM
Aug 2007
vinesage said:
damn, Lawrence is a pimp..... -_-

Lol. Apparently so :P Forgot about the shrouded lady for a bit, but it was only a matter of time before she showed up again and I guess this was the episode for it.
Aug 31, 2009 10:25 PM
Jul 2009
<3 Fleur (the way I translate her name). She's pure badass.
Sep 1, 2009 7:08 AM

Jul 2008
Dull episode with a few good moments with Horo and the bar maid, not the merchant chick though. I'm liking Horo more this season. Last season I liked her because she was wise and badass. This season I like all of that plus the way she is showing anticipation and excitement for Lawrence to exhibit small forms of admiration and affection. It really is getting to me.
Sep 3, 2009 4:19 AM

May 2009
Quite liked this episode not particularly eventful, but enjoyable nonetheless. Although inevitably Abe will cause some problems, i like her.
Sep 6, 2009 7:30 AM

Jul 2009
Decent enough episode with a few good moments.
Horo grabbing Vincents hand wanting him to stay.
The cute barmaid (^_^)
And the introduction of Abe/Eve

Looks like she'll be an interesting character.

Though as many said the strange translations can sometimes be a let down, especially since this show is very much about the dialog and the way peoples speaks.
Lots of subtle plot hints and feelings there.

Wish I where better at Japanese and could avoid subs completely =/
Sep 7, 2009 1:22 PM

Feb 2008
EternalDreamer said:
Decent enough episode with a few good moments.
Horo grabbing Vincents Lawrences hand wanting him to stay.

A little typo.... fixed! ^^
Oct 17, 2009 1:00 PM

Aug 2009
Don't like this arc as much as the others, but seeing Horo is just what matters. :D

Wonder who this Rigolo guy really is, also about this Northern Expedition. I don't like this new tomboyish girl too. She'll just make Horo jealous! :(

Onward to the next episode.
Nov 10, 2009 1:14 PM
Nov 2009
Kinda boring episode. I know I'm supposed to be pissed off with Lawrence taking things too slowly, but I'm also pissed off with Horo. How long before she realizes that flirting and getting hammered aren't working? If he agrees to "relax" when she simply asks him to, why not try that approach instead?
May 27, 2010 7:53 PM

May 2010
It's so cute when Horo's ears flop back when she went to sleep. :-)

Great response to that barmaid!
Jun 19, 2010 9:57 AM

Aug 2008
I don't buy Eva's reasons for taking an interest in Lawrence. She's fishy.
Jun 25, 2010 3:53 PM

Dec 2009
The waitress was kinda weird.
Jul 22, 2010 10:16 PM

May 2010
Hmm, does anyone else get the feeling that this new person is fishy as fuck? There's definitely something she's not letting on about...
“Money can't buy dere”
Aug 22, 2010 11:12 AM

Apr 2009
Yeah, definitely something is wrong about her... Lawrence probably just stepped into some deep shit, one more time...
Oct 7, 2010 5:07 AM

Sep 2008
The barmaid annoyed the heck out of me. DX Her voice hurt my poor ears.

Kind of an uneventful episode... Though, the last character that appeared - Fleur, she said? But Fruhl, others are saying here - seems interesting. I highly doubt any of these other female characters could come between Horo and Lawrence, though Horo might get a tiny bit jealous, I imagine.
Jan 5, 2011 8:16 PM

Jul 2010
so it does seem like girls get interesed in a guy when he's supossedly "taken", lol
but good episode, he played his cards rite on both the girls.

Jan 20, 2011 4:36 PM
Sep 2009
Nice to see Lawrence notice Holo's tension when talking to the old guy (was it the mention of the old "Tanner" lady?) and taking her hand in his. Good episode, learned a little and brought in new characters for the next arc.
Feb 22, 2011 1:30 PM
Nov 2009
I thought the waitress was Chloe lol. Good episode, haha Lawrence is so good with girls ;)
May 12, 2011 3:21 AM

Dec 2009
darkerealm said:
I don't buy Eva's reasons for taking an interest in Lawrence. She's fishy.

Yeah...

Aug 7, 2011 5:21 AM

May 2011
8 episodes and not a single apple.Something is just wrong here.

deex said:
Yeah, definitely something is wrong about her... Lawrence probably just stepped into some deep shit, one more time...

lolz
I definitely have superpowers. I can feel it in my balls.
Nov 2, 2011 8:32 AM

Feb 2009
I'm staring to lose interest... I didnt like the waitress girl at all, her voice, her personality, didn't feel like she belonged there.

Horo is still the heart of this series.
Jan 17, 2012 12:51 AM

Dec 2010
Is it only me who smells third season? At the very least I really want to believe it'll exist at some point. Anyway, this is one of my most favorite episodes - I enjoyed it lightheartedly. Abe is an interesting person nonetheless, I just wonder if Holo can restrain herself from ruining the bond between Lawrence and Abe.
Mar 1, 2012 12:29 AM

Sep 2011
Needs more Horo but great episode nonetheless. We were fully introduced to a new character at least! :D
May 7, 2012 7:44 PM

Feb 2012
With respect to the script, this was one of the tightest episodes of either season. The dialogue was sharp and witty, and the direction was solid and inventive -- Imagin didn't use camera angles this creative in the first season.

Two examples of why I love the second season's direction:

Jun 6, 2012 5:52 PM

Mar 2012
mp said:
I thought the waitress was Chloe lol. Good episode, haha Lawrence is so good with girls ;)

Haha, I thought so too. Abe is an interesting character. I wonder what is she playing at?
Aug 26, 2012 8:06 PM

Nov 2011
Pretty awesome episode. Always nice to see new characters!

"I like to expose what people hide. I'm an intellectual rapist." - Furudo Erika
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou II Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

vinesage - Sep 2, 2009

211 by Ryudrake »»
May 4, 6:04 PM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou II Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

vinesage - Sep 23, 2009

446 by BetaMaleUltra »»
Apr 27, 2:41 AM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou II Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

vinesage - Sep 16, 2009

133 by BetaMaleUltra »»
Apr 27, 2:14 AM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou II Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Mikiyo - Sep 10, 2009

109 by BetaMaleUltra »»
Apr 27, 1:40 AM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou II Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

vinesage - Aug 19, 2009

189 by BetaMaleUltra »»
Apr 24, 2:25 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.