Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Nov 4, 2017 3:37 PM

Oct 2015
So ten years has passed on earth and Kumiko has a kid what a good reunion but I expected more. Now Ohta has 6 months to live what a pity but he shouldn't have hit her like that, especially since he may never see Kazumi again that was a bad move. At space they were an inferno in destroying those monsters and I am glad he was okay since I thought he would die sooner. I wish also he did say I love you back, yeah that guy is a jerk that I don't like ( least favorite character).
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Jan 20, 2018 9:30 AM

Oct 2009
This episode, on itself, is a MASTERPIECE of Anime. The first 4 were good but this episode WAS AMAZINGLY EPIC. From the fan-service to the emotional stuff and then, the awesome fight at the end. EPIC ALL THE WAY!!!
Feb 16, 2018 8:55 PM

Sep 2013
DAmn, that was a great episode. Felt like a finale, but we have one more to go....!!!

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Feb 28, 2018 11:08 PM

Aug 2016
Main problem with this anime is that it rushes, wich can develop in some flaws, yet I must admit this episode was total fun. That last fight was the funkiest battle in space I ever watched, and one of the best ones in terms of music and animation (If TTGL had those dynamics in space and that music). Love so much that top tier disco-esque music. Those chords!, those brasses!!, those arpeggios!! that slap bassline!!! and of course those beasts!! that scream!!gosh!!!!!!!. total respect for that scene for real!!! 80s with steroids

:v
Apr 24, 2018 9:25 AM

Feb 2013
That insert song at the end was absolutely godlike. I love this show. Watching it feels like watching anime for the first time, when it was all so fresh. I should probably watchi more 80s stuff.
Nov 27, 2018 9:26 AM

Apr 2014
Holy, that was the kind of epic-scale battle I wanted from this show. The animation this episode was phenomenal, too, considering its time. GG, gunbuster.
Jan 15, 2019 4:56 AM

Oct 2014
tfw everything is super predictable but ur still on the verge of crying too :')
Jan 18, 2019 9:41 PM

Nov 2011
I got a heart attack when I thought that 100 years is passed in Earth.. It's when Nee-sama going emo and looked at the clock, they show day and month (I think) format as 3011 or something.. It was an error in animation I think because at another scene the format is with a slash between month and day.. And also when they shot a futuristic city landscape ...

I didn't really pay attention to the plot, I thought they fought in the near of blackhole or something.. You know that time dilation would be crazier if they were in strong gravitational field ...
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Mar 23, 2019 4:34 PM
Jul 2018
Fun episode. Overall, I'm not gonna rag on this show for being 80's cheese. Characters yelling their fighting moves before doing them was pretty normal back then.

One episode left.
May 4, 2019 8:37 AM

Aug 2017
This episode was quite enjoyable, I like the direction of the scenery and the whole composition of backgrounds in this OVA as well as the artwork. However, I must admit that some moments feel a bit rushed and could have been better developed given more episodes (or more thought-out production, idk, maybe Gunbuster had some production issues). I'm talking about the relationship between Amano and Oota, obviously. Oh, his illness too. The explanation for his illness is alright, but it was sudden not only for Amano, but for the viewer too. I'm not sure about the moment when Amano burst into tears in space though. It felt rushed too...or did it? Mixed feelings.
All of the issues above are not critical though. Overall Gunbuster is a great experience.
May 17, 2019 11:34 AM

Jul 2016
I feel like this episode was 3/5, but I am going to be generous and give it a 4/5
May 17, 2019 11:35 AM

Jul 2016
For me, I disliked the melodrama this Anime uses, I feel like it does not know how to do it.
May 17, 2019 11:35 AM

Jul 2016
So far, this Anime has been good, but not very good or anything.
Nov 22, 2019 1:05 PM

Jun 2015
Wait, I thought that centuries have passed on earth. At least it was what that clock said. Unless they came back through a warp to an earlier time point on Earth.
Anyway this episode was pure epicness. lol at that Gunbuster Shield.
Sep 29, 2020 3:53 PM

Feb 2012
I appreciate that FTL, time dilation the issues and drama arising from it are explored in Gunbuster.

Noriko's reunion with Kimiko was sweet.

2023 Rewatch in dub
Fortress_MaximusAug 23, 2023 2:14 PM

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Nov 30, 2020 11:10 AM

Jun 2016
I'm surprised the coach didn't die in this episode. They certainly made it seem like he would.

Isn't this like their first mission as a combined Gunbuster? They were perfectly in sync with each other. Too in sync, if you ask me.

Going into the last ep, I believe this would be much better as at least a 12 ep show. 6 eps is not enough, especially with the amount of out of place development your characters are going to go through

Jan 29, 2021 5:54 AM

May 2020
The fight itself is impressive but honestly I don’t even care about what happens in this show.
Mar 26, 2022 1:08 PM

Feb 2021
I really enjoyed this ep. Huge improvement from the last few, and that final battle was sick. Apparently Noriko is a Ghibli fan too
Apr 23, 2022 6:22 AM

Dec 2021
I was expecting Noriko to yell "I will peirce the heaven" or "who the hell do you think we are" anytime in this episode lol
May 3, 2022 12:13 AM

Mar 2020
Is anyone able to explain the whole accelerated passage of time thing in space? I feel like I almost get it, but it just isn’t clicking. Noriko and Kazumi clearly weren’t travelling above the speed of light when they were going to wipe out that alien fleet at the end of the episode, yet the time they spent out there was somehow a 20th or of the time they spent on their missions over the past 3 episodes? How was it the same length as the 3 minutes they spent in hyperspace locating Noriko’s father’s ship?? Is it just a sci-fi thing that isn’t grounded in any reality???

It’s an interesting idea with how it’s been executed here, though I want to believe that it’s consistent and not just another way of forcing drama to happen. It would mean that while Noriko’s father was alive he would be visiting her after pretty much every mission for her birthday, so how did he manage to become so distinguished within his field? I don’t get itttttt ://///////
May 3, 2022 12:17 AM

Mar 2020
Is anyone able to explain the whole accelerated passage of time thing in space? I feel like I almost understand, but it just isn’t clicking. Noriko and Kazumi clearly weren’t travelling above the speed of light when they were going to wipe out that alien fleet at the end of the episode, yet the time they spent out there was somehow a 20th or of the time they spent on their missions over the past 3 episodes? How was it the same length as the 3 minutes they spent in hyperspace locating Noriko’s father’s ship?? Is it just a sci-fi thing that isn’t grounded in any reality even if it were real???

It’s an interesting idea with how it’s been executed here, but I want to believe that it’s consistent and not just another way of forcing drama to happen. It would mean that while Noriko’s father was alive he would be visiting her after pretty much every mission for her birthday, so how did he manage to become so distinguished within his field? I don’t get it ://///////
Aug 26, 2022 7:36 AM

Jun 2020
Oh my lord that was so fucking cool, so sick. That insert song made things 500x better. The cinematography, framing, shot composition, and the colours of this show is fucking beautiful. Well so far the story is pretty ordinary, but the execution is fucking fun so whatever. The fanservice was a bit too much too. I heard the ending is... Well, time for the next episode.

Oct 16, 2022 1:09 PM

Oct 2012
Freaking amazing episode of a godlike anime. Thank Gainax.

was hoping for a GUNBUSTAH BEEEEEMU but maybe i should just rewatch getter armageddon lmao

Dec 8, 2022 12:10 AM
Oct 2012
Best episode so far, the time skip is an interesting concept, and seeing the gunbuster in action especially with the animation quality is always a treat. The ending was also very touching.
Feb 5, 2023 9:57 AM

Aug 2022
I'm not a fan of all the melodramatic self-reflection that leads to beating your enemy in the end after a change of heart, but whenever this show does it I seem to be okay with it.

The last two episodes have had amazing endings, a combination of badass and funny action scenes with the main character yelling BUSTER SHIELD at the top of her lungs never fails to make me smile.

Sep 28, 2023 7:49 AM

Mar 2022
Okay THIS is definitely my favourite episode of Gunbuster! So god damn awesome! It’s a shame that Coach was dying with a illness that was beyond his control, at the very least he survived long enough to see Noriko and Anamo come back to earth once they had successfully completed the mission. Nothing says 80s anime like characters shouting out their attack names which was pretty sweet not gonna lie.

What else can I say this show has been so awesome. Also Noriko’s room has posters that I recognise the anime posters I kind of expected but I wasn’t expecting a calendar and pictures of Van Halen to pop up there. She’s also a Studio Ghibli fan because she’s got posters of My Neighbour Totoro and Nausicaa of the Valley and the Wind which is a cool thing to spot there. So epic this episode, so god damn epic.
Nov 4, 2023 1:47 AM

Apr 2016
Wow! Things got fucking heavy!

The first three episodes and most of the fourth left me scratching my head a bit; Nothing about this story really stuck out as exceptional to me. I read a review of the Gun Buster Blu-ray in.... Otaku USA magazine I think it was... citing all the reasons why it was a big deal. I had finished the third episode already and I couldn't see any of the stuff the reviewer was talking about. I chalked it up to it being special for it's moment in time. But after this episode, it finally became more than just cool science fiction stuff.

The time difference, it's effect on Amano and Takaya, and how they handle it was a strong emotional punch. What they were doing as pilots finally started to matter to me. Up until this point, the space monster threat to humanity wasn't particularly interesting; it came off as an excuse to showcase a bunch of giant robot coolness that largely fell flat with me. Same thing with the characters. I couldn't find a reason to really care about them. But when Takaya started thinking about her dad and how the time difference must have affected him, that made me start to pay attention more.

Hahaha from what I've written so far, it would give the impression that I don't like this anime. Honestly, it as been a bit of a struggle getting to this point. The backgrounds when the they're on Earth have consistently been my favorite part over all; Gainax is such a talented studio :D I stuck with it cause Gun Buster is supposed to be a classic and I wanted to see what the fuss was about. This episode got me to care about everything :') i'm already looking forward to rewatching it :D
Dec 19, 2023 9:21 PM

Jun 2021
PEAK SPACE MECHA BATTLE, TO THE CLASSIC GAINAX STYLE, C'MON THIS IS SUCH A COOL EPISODE
BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUH
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Is the dub good?

AustinJamB - Jul 17, 2023

7 by Billy-storm »»
May 13, 12:30 AM

Poll: » Top wo Nerae! Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

naikou - Sep 29, 2008

69 by Extremo888 »»
Mar 18, 5:56 PM

Poll: » Top wo Nerae! Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

naikou - Sep 28, 2008

78 by VioletOlya »»
Mar 3, 11:18 AM

Poll: » Top wo Nerae! Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

MK - Aug 10, 2008

192 by jal90 »»
Feb 4, 7:04 PM

Poll: » Top wo Nerae! Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

naikou - Sep 29, 2008

67 by Adriannitro »»
Dec 19, 2023 8:44 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.