Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Feb 23, 2014 5:06 PM

Jan 2011
piedol said:
This episode was pretty sub-par, IMO. They started with the premise of meeting a dog, having Dandy play fetch with it for a bit, but then having it inexplicably die and then trying to get an emotional response out of the probably ten minutes of screen time it got? Paying homage to Laika is cool and all, but that aspect felt too rushed to really leave an impression on me. Let's not even talk about her unexplained arrival on the planet, or how long she'd actually been there to suffer starvation or illness of whatever killed her, causing Pup to pass away hours after Dandy's arrival.

Then the fleas were a concept with potential of their own, also wasted on a pair of gags about dying like insects, paired with sudden relevance to the planet which somehow needed them to remain in existence. All in all this wasn't particularly funny, moving or memorable in any way. I really hope next week's is better.

You expect logic in a Space Dandy episode? rly? and i did like the concept, that they told two stories in one. showing Dandy 1,5 ks long playing with the dog and QT building a rocket seems wasted time to me. the Laika part had a good lenght and once you see whats happening after someone died: Dandy took a shower and life goes on. was a pretty good message. and the alien thing part was long enough. again: those fleas jumping around the ship for 1,5 ks? boooring. what has to be told was told.

good episode because it was different than the usual stuff u see everywere. ;) the Laika part was great with that feels and the robo transformation and of course the awesome Cowboy Bebop reference. =D anyone noticed that Dr. Gel has a little bit similar beard like Jet Black from Cowboy Bebop? ^^ i like how fails every time at catching Dandy because of stupid coincidences. xD and the pics on QTs display when he searched for the dog. *lol
Feb 23, 2014 6:36 PM
Feb 2014
NJJM2006 said:
Sorry to post again so quickly, but I forgot to check the preview for next week, I could not find it, not sure if my DVR didn't get it.
I think the preview isn't on the english dub version,but i'm not sure
Feb 23, 2014 7:25 PM

Apr 2012
The episode should have ended after the Laika homage, or rather that should have occupied the whole thing - because the second part was completely random and unimportant in comparison.
"Rejoice! We are humans— we are the most talented people! Precisely because we were born without any ability— we can achieve anything— this is the will of the weakest race!" – Sora, ‘No game No life Vol.01’
Feb 23, 2014 7:26 PM
Apr 2013
The very beginning of the episode wasn't really working for me, but the second I saw the Bebop's fridge I went into full nostalgia mode. Watanabe is a clever bastard I really hope this show ends up a full 26 eps.

Also, did anyone notice that the art style in the next time preview looked strikingly similar to Masaaki Yuasa's work on Kaiba!? The preview DEFINITELY is showing off some really cool alternate animation!
Feb 23, 2014 7:58 PM

Jul 2013
The dog will be missed. Ah, the feels. Too much for me.
Feb 23, 2014 9:33 PM

Nov 2013
MrAwesome2014 said:
DejWoSWK said:
Wasn´t that the fridge from Cowboy Bebop?

Yup, it was the same fridge that Spike send into space with that weird goo.

I loved the "Toys in the Attic" reference!
Feb 23, 2014 11:05 PM

Dec 2007
Well that just punched me repeatedly in the emotions.
Ich verstehe nicht
Feb 23, 2014 11:07 PM

Feb 2010
Animals always pull on my heart strings.... ;-; Rip sweet doggie <3
Feb 24, 2014 12:28 AM

Mar 2013
Oh the feels in this one man. Really loved the idea of "Laika" and the aliens. And damm that warp scene was awsome. :D

Btw the eng dub version didn't had the op/ed so far? I'm watching this with the original dub so thats why I asking. :D
Feb 24, 2014 1:52 AM

Feb 2012
Aloxamax said:
The episode should have ended after the Laika homage, or rather that should have occupied the whole thing - because the second part was completely random and unimportant in comparison.

It wasn't that random though...they had a few lines in the first half of the episode
and they explained the story behind the planet
Feb 24, 2014 6:14 AM

Jan 2011
Curious question. am I the only one who watches this in Japanese? I actually like Dandy's Japanese voice actor...
This episode had a more serious feel, but it had it's moments :)
And I never thought I would ever think Dandy was sexy....
夜露死苦
http://mochichandiscoversjapan.wordpress.com/
Visit my Japan adventures' blog. =3
Feb 24, 2014 6:26 AM

Oct 2013
This episode was great,sad and funny.

Feb 24, 2014 7:36 AM

Mar 2013
Mochi_chan said:
Curious question. am I the only one who watches this in Japanese? I actually like Dandy's Japanese voice actor...

You're not alone, me too. I prefer the japanese dub for some reason...
Feb 24, 2014 10:48 AM

Apr 2013
gerey said:
Mochi_chan said:

prefer the japanese because of dandy, QT and the narrator

great episode. man that first half Q.Q
Feb 24, 2014 12:16 PM

Sep 2011
thank god for the original op being there now

i thought the ep was great, i thought the "drama" was weird until you kind of notice it really wasnt meant to be serious. Comedy was spot on and i laughed pretty hard by possessed QT

also lol at meow finding spike's fridge then eating the sentient mold in it

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Feb 24, 2014 3:43 PM

Oct 2013
Decent episode, shame that the weeabo trash op played, thanks got the ed was the normal us one, atleast my torrent had it.
Feb 24, 2014 6:41 PM

Mar 2012
JizzyHitler said:
thank god for the original op being there now

i thought the ep was great, i thought the "drama" was weird until you kind of notice it really wasnt meant to be serious. Comedy was spot on and i laughed pretty hard by possessed QT

also lol at meow finding spike's fridge then eating the sentient mold in it

Idk that was Spike's fridge :o
Feb 24, 2014 7:24 PM

May 2013
Meh, first weak episode in a while.
My anime blog
Latest Post: The Zero Requiem (Analysis of the Ending of Code Geass)
Feb 24, 2014 8:16 PM

Sep 2013
As someone with dogs this episode killed me T_T
Feb 24, 2014 9:08 PM

Dec 2012
random enjoyable episode as usual
my avatar is the bus driver from Rosario + Vampire
Feb 24, 2014 9:14 PM

Jan 2013
Awesome episode.
Nice science fiction with the gravitons, gravitinos and Liaka. Weird mix, but interesting.
Feb 24, 2014 10:17 PM

Dec 2012
I loved the whole thing about how Pup might have been Laika from the Sputnik 2 mission
Feb 24, 2014 10:41 PM

Sep 2013
Attracting dogs at it's finest :P

The way the dog's mouth moved as it spoke kind of creepped me out XD

The dog died >:(

Lol alien fleas

"Bye-bye come back and see us" Hell yeah baby ;)
Feb 25, 2014 1:44 AM

Jun 2012
Man, I could tell they were on the dog right away, so that made me really sad when they said "the land is dying", not to mention when she died and Meow was hugging her. Guh, I really wanted Precious Upside-down Coconut Pie to join them. T_T Though, it was kind of funny when they said "it's god's divine protection!"

Also I lol'd hard at how the two brothers died, way too fucking nonchalantly. xD Also Gel getting sucked into the black hole ... Bea was pretty hilarious this time too: "it doesn't look like it's working." lol.

And Dandy acted so much like me this episode... I half expected PUP to be alive and they'd just be like "OH! Phew she's just sound asleep."

Antearion said:
Oh shit the opening. Bout time we got this. Love the song. Good episode. Poor pup. Best dog ever. Dandy is so real. "Say what they will about me. But I can always spot a bitch." Was not expecting him to say that. Dat ass. So the monkey died. Don't care.
-Kazu said:
"I always figured i'd die by extreme sucking!" lmao
Lol these almost make me wish I was watching the dubs... but I just like Q.T's voice in the subs better.

Also the connotations seem completely different in those scenes between the subs and the dubs... seems like it's got more humor in the dubs' dialogue as opposed to having a bit more serious lines in the subs. Even though Space Dandy is completely nonsensical and mostly just mindless entertainment, I still prefer having a little bit of that seriousness. I'm probably just overthinking things though.

But at least the biggest handicap in the dubs (the missing masterpiece known as Viva Namida) is apparently fixed now.

GEO9875 said:
Decent episode, shame that the weeabo trash op played, thanks got the ed was the normal us one, atleast my torrent had it.
Trying a bit too hard on a site for otakus don't you think?
HalibelTheEspadaFeb 25, 2014 1:50 AM
Feb 25, 2014 2:38 AM

Jan 2011
xSanox said:
gerey said:
Mochi_chan said:

great episode. man that first half Q.Q

I adore QT, if Siri was that adorable I would have bought an iPhone :)
Also the narrator is so cool in the Japanese version. I like the way they phrase his words.
As for Dandy, I liked Junichi Suwabe from before, as the Undertaker in Kuroshitsuji so it was so cool to see him transform.
夜露死苦
http://mochichandiscoversjapan.wordpress.com/
Visit my Japan adventures' blog. =3
Feb 25, 2014 5:36 AM

Jun 2013
Bee seemed a lot shorter in this episode.
--TrustOnly1
Feb 25, 2014 10:55 AM

Sep 2013
the poor dog ;___; such doge feels this ep
better than most eps just cuz of that dog
Feb 25, 2014 7:55 PM

Jul 2012
Way too much dog in this episode. At least it's gone now, would have been pissed if it stayed in the show. Episodes still seem a bit rushed. Curious about what next weeks episode will be about since they decided to not show a preview.
Feb 25, 2014 8:01 PM

Feb 2014
After rewatching this episode (and seeing next week's promo), I realize that somehow I missed that the first brother died upon the first viewing (wondered why the other flea took over QT-reminded me of some Invader Zim's Gir episode from way back when). Anyways I had some convoluted(probably very) idea that the first flea survived and thought he may have hijacked the warp drive.
So combining this haphazard idea (I was drunk watching it the first time) with the fact that there was no promo (which I did not take into account the OP additional time), I thought that maybe there would be some really crazy 2nd episode. So really I was let down by not paying attention the first time.
Still, I hope that Dr Gel dying-almost-every-episode-gag turns out to be something more than Space Dandy's Kenny, maybe I'm hoping for too much from this show. Either way, I'm enjoying the ride while it last. Oh, please tell me this is going to run for more than 13 episodes, don't think toonami would add thirty minutes for a quarter year show.
Feb 25, 2014 8:04 PM

Sep 2011
NJJM2006 said:
Oh, please tell me this is going to run for more than 13 episodes, don't think toonami would add thirty minutes for a quarter year show.
Sadly its confirmed to be exactly 13 episodes
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Space-Dandy-Collectors-Blu-ray-episodes/dp/B00HRTHTBK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392664278&sr=8-1&keywords=space+dandy

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Feb 26, 2014 1:42 PM

Jun 2012
xSanox said:
gerey said:
Mochi_chan said:

I'm also watching the subs. And yeah, QT is my biggest reason for watching the subs (aside from the opening, which is no longer a problem). I'm actually surprised more people are watching the dubs than the subs.
Feb 26, 2014 8:33 PM

Feb 2014
Thanks JizzyHitler,
Not what I wanted to hear, but maybe it's a good thing if the final five episodes are comparable to episodes 4,5 and 7; which are my favorites so far. I can only hope that our three space cadets get a back story episode each. Doesn't need to be serious like Bebop or Champloo but I think there is a loth potential especially for Meow. Maybe it's just wishful thinking.
As far as the sub/dub thing, I have seen most episodes in both but prefer the English dub, which is typically the case for me unless the dub is an abomination like Higurashi was. There's nothing wrong with the Japanese dub though; I just like hearing lines like "Give me some of those sick beats," and many others. Anyways 72 hours to the next episode.
Mar 1, 2014 3:19 AM

Sep 2009
HalibelTheEspada said:
xSanox said:
gerey said:
Mochi_chan said:

I'm also watching the subs. And yeah, QT is my biggest reason for watching the subs (aside from the opening, which is no longer a problem). I'm actually surprised more people are watching the dubs than the subs.

Huehuehuehue, you're kidding right? There's a dub of this? And people are watching it?

Okay. Yeah. Sure. Whatever.
Mar 1, 2014 7:17 AM

Sep 2011
NJJM2006 said:
Thanks JizzyHitler,
Not what I wanted to hear, but maybe it's a good thing if the final five episodes are comparable to episodes 4,5 and 7; which are my favorites so far. I can only hope that our three space cadets get a back story episode each. Doesn't need to be serious like Bebop or Champloo but I think there is a loth potential especially for Meow. Maybe it's just wishful thinking.
As far as the sub/dub thing, I have seen most episodes in both but prefer the English dub, which is typically the case for me unless the dub is an abomination like Higurashi was. There's nothing wrong with the Japanese dub though; I just like hearing lines like "Give me some of those sick beats," and many others. Anyways 72 hours to the next episode.
im honestly hoping for a relatively seriousish episode about how dandy got QT, i just feel like that story would be kind of sad/touching. Though im curious what were gonna get with the following episodes, tonight's episode is gonna be trippy as hell so i wonder if we'll even get another episodes like 5 not including the final 2 episodes which are pretty likley to end up that way considering how both bebop and champloo went. I'm sure were at least gonna get an answer on what dandy has done in the past and why the gogol empire wants him

also on the sub/dub thing just as someone whos watching both every week since the scripts are slightly different, Dub is generally much funnier and contains more wit, they are both excellent audio tracks but this is deifnetly a show I rec to people to watch in dub over the sub

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Mar 1, 2014 3:23 PM

Sep 2010
Most unexpected Cowboy Bebop cameo ever, well played Mr. Watanabe, well fucking played.
Mar 3, 2014 12:15 AM
Jul 2018
Just when we were going to have a Space Dandy equivalent of Ein on board... they had to kill her off :(
One thing I noticed is that the animation is surprisingly top notch, almost western animation quality during the first half of this episode. Its incredibly fluid but this time without the off model I mean just look at the scene where Meow spots the fridge. And I always thought Noragami was going to be the anime in which Bones puts more effort into the animation. Lets hope they carry on the same amount of quality they had in this episodes over to the following ones.
Mar 3, 2014 6:17 AM

Oct 2013
Oh wow first half full of feels. Dandy still a good guy and bids the dog farewell in his own way. ;_____;
second half still comedy and they just killed those rare fleas by mistake XD
Mar 9, 2014 9:00 PM

Sep 2013
aw precious upside down coconut pie died! i thought she would be this shows ein
Mar 11, 2014 12:38 PM

Jul 2010
toka_koka said:
- Narrator tearing up
- Turn 360 degrees. Dammit, math. How about 60?
- Laika
- Cowboy bebop fridge
- Meow ate the Toys in the Attic monster
- Japanese OP

11/10

^ Also, does anyone know when the album OST is gonna come out?
Mar 14, 2014 2:18 AM

Jul 2013
didn't expect this anime could pull off a drama like that.. dayum
Mar 14, 2014 4:59 PM

Oct 2013
I always figured I'd die by extreme sucking lololol
Mar 16, 2014 9:40 AM

Jan 2010
THE FRIDGE FROM COWBOY BEBOP THO
Mar 25, 2014 10:24 PM
Feb 2014
Well, that's ONE thing that might happen in the future if you remove a pair of supersymmetric particles and break supergravity. Way to go Space Dandy you broke physics. What's next? I'm so happy this series exists. Black holes AND boobies!
Mar 28, 2014 1:54 AM

Jun 2011
It is not until later that I realized the fleas brother were on the dog before jumping onto the cat.

Dat Dandy's butt..
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Apr 4, 2014 7:58 AM

May 2012
Great episode, pretty funny and damn that dog :|
Apr 7, 2014 11:10 AM

Nov 2013
Wasn´t that the fridge from Cowboy Bebop? :D
You all need to watch Nami.

Jun 19, 2014 5:12 AM
May 2012
Why, just why ;_; Pup was just lonely T^T I didn't expect her to die!!
That Flea Brothers ahahaha. The way his brother died ahahaha.
Jul 27, 2014 1:46 AM

Feb 2014
abystoma2 said:
Wasn´t that the fridge from Cowboy Bebop? :D

Yeah, that's what I thought too. And that thing Meow ate looked like the purple blob that infected everyone on the Bebop.

And those flea brothers. Being crushed to death between hair and a comb, and getting stepped on is a pretty lame way to die.
Sep 15, 2014 10:27 AM

Jan 2009
this show deserves much more credit than what it's given
Sep 28, 2014 3:15 PM

Jan 2014
Nooooo, not a doggie death.

QT can be such a fierce little thing.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Space☆Dandy Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

ArtimesGamer - Jan 18, 2014

185 by RawrOMG »»
Yesterday, 6:52 AM

Poll: » Space☆Dandy Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 15, 2014

150 by crotaku15 »»
Apr 25, 5:37 AM

Poll: » Space☆Dandy Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2014

189 by Majutsuishi »»
Mar 27, 12:31 PM

Poll: » Space☆Dandy Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 22, 2014

95 by Majutsuishi »»
Mar 26, 11:10 PM

Poll: » Space☆Dandy Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 15, 2014

94 by Majutsuishi »»
Mar 26, 10:39 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.