Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Spice and Wolf (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Aug 15, 2009 1:05 AM

Jun 2008
Great Episode , nothing more xD
Aug 15, 2009 1:06 AM

Aug 2007
kikuchimera said:
Reyno said:
I wanna see little Horences!

lolz lmao, but i wanna see it too :))

haha. nice ep though it seemed rushed
Aug 15, 2009 1:29 AM
Jan 2008
Forever said:
Well, that was sweet but I feel a little bit disappointed because the resolution was so anti climatic. I feel they could have done this much better.

That's how all of season 1 was. I'm sorta glad. I like the easy-going nature of this show...
Aug 15, 2009 1:29 AM
Aug 2009
kikuchimera said:
Reyno said:

Haha.

Aug 15, 2009 2:28 AM

Apr 2008
rawrs .. wat a way to end the episode -.-

Aug 15, 2009 2:47 AM
Jul 2008
Awesome, the best episode so far.
Aug 15, 2009 5:16 AM

Dec 2007
YAY! for Horoness. I really liked this episode it really showed how smart Horo is and how much Lawrence overthinks things also Amarty got what he deserved xD. Really looking forward to the next episode and its foreplayness.
XephiferAug 15, 2009 5:20 AM
Aug 15, 2009 1:15 PM

Jul 2007
Can someone explain me how the trading work? Why did it "ended" when Horo and Lawrance both sold at the last time? I don't get it...
Aug 15, 2009 4:43 PM
Jul 2009
ragnaroks said:
Can someone explain me how the trading work? Why did it "ended" when Horo and Lawrance both sold at the last time? I don't get it...

demand & supply
so if demand is greater the the stock available the price goes up,
horo & Lawrence crashed the market cus the put such a large amount on the table which droped the price people were willing to pay
anyway love all of spice and wolf so far and can't wait for it to be released in the uk
cute pic any idear who did it?
Aug 15, 2009 5:08 PM

Jul 2007
spacedfuzz said:
ragnaroks said:

demand & supply
so if demand is greater the the stock available the price goes up,
horo & Lawrence crashed the market cus the put such a large amount on the table which droped the price people were willing to pay
anyway love all of spice and wolf so far and can't wait for it to be released in the uk
cute pic any idear who did it?

That explains it. And how about the buy on credit thingy?
Aug 15, 2009 5:11 PM

Jun 2008
adamantine said:
So I pretty much had a giant grin on during the entire second half of the episode. So much love for the end of this arc. :D
SERIOUSLY! I could NOT stop smiling and feeling so happy.

<3 HORRROOO PIIIEEE~
Aug 15, 2009 7:45 PM

Jun 2007
noteDhero said:
I don't know why I laughed so hard reading your post Deathfire...but I did. Holo is quite petty.

:) I was beginning to wonder if people even read my comments anymore haha.
Aug 15, 2009 10:06 PM
Jul 2009
The relationship between the two hasn't really change. The Arc only reconfirmed their trust. Yet I still enjoy the series just as much as the first season.

Would have been better if Holo used the money from the stones to pay the debt she owe to Lawrence. This would definitely change the swing.
Aug 15, 2009 10:41 PM

May 2007
I liked the last episode, Lawrence is actually more fun to follow than Horo, she is too smart.

Anyway glad to see how Horo pulled the strings, hope that the next arc is half as good as this one which had me on the edge of my seat the whole arc.
My anime list
Aug 15, 2009 10:55 PM
Jul 2009
ragnaroks said:
That explains it. And how about the buy on credit thingy?

Lawrence offers 300(was it 500?) silver coins worth of pyrite at the current market price the night before to Amarty. Amarty agrees to pay only the 300, while Lawrence still owes the same amount of stones. So stone price are affix no matter what between the two of them.

lets say, that night.
Amarty buys 30 stones for 300 coins on credit.
the next day.
Amarty pays 300 coins. Lawrence still owes 30 stone him.
~the price of each stone increase from 10 to 15 coins each.So now 30 stones is worth 450
Lawrence still owes 30 stones, not 300 coins worth. For Amarty its all good, he makes a profit of 150 coins.
~But since the Market crash. Each stone is worth the same as the pebbles that get caught in my running shoes

No matter what happens in the market, Lawrence gets 300 coins and Amarty gets 30 chunks of rocks.

*edit
reading back, think i could be wrong

As for supply and demand; let look at a real world example.
DeLorean, the car from "Back to the future" is currently worth $25,000.
A lot of fans of the movie wants one.
Some idiot buys one. So another owner realize they can probably get more for the car. Causing prices to go up, while less and less available cars there are to buy.
Now current prices is $35k each. A collector decides to sell off his set; He wants to sell all 5 of his cars. To make sure they will sell, he puts them at a lower price, $30k. Which will cause a panic to those who selling over $30k. Therefore the price stops increasing and start stabilizing or fall down.

omnidazeAug 15, 2009 11:36 PM
Aug 16, 2009 1:59 AM

Jul 2009
An amazing turn of event :)) I'm relived that the tension between Horo and Lawrence is over :D can't wait for the next episode

| The void is endless |
Aug 16, 2009 2:12 AM

May 2008
AHH Hora & Lawrence!! ^^
great episode!
Aug 16, 2009 6:48 AM

Feb 2008
Quoting Lanto: I LOVE HORO!
*nod nod*
We know exactly how you feel, little guy! :P

Jigero said:

Also maybe Amarti said "Can I put it in your butt?" >.> unforgivable.

I LOLes hard :D

bennyaltuca said:
dam i wanted a human and mystical entity kiss :)...

I totally agree. Since the middle of the first season I am waiting for THAT to happen. But at least Horo thinks Lawrence is good enough to eat and likes to chew on him more often. *hehe*

Regarding the discussion about the purpose of this arc (You can safely read on. No real spoilers):

During these last episodes, not only the feelings between the two main characters were outlined nicely, but also the method of operation of traveling merchants and i.e. their problem of having only "part time friends" is shown. Furthermore this arc concentrates on the second main pillar of Spice and Wolf, namely the economics. It does an amazing job showing trading methods in an exciting way.

Also the side characters are absolutely amazing. A lot of other anime do not have such strong characters even as main protagonists.

I have just one remaining question:
At the end of this episode when the burning human shaped wooden doll falls onto the wolf shaped wooden doll, Horo says "I wouldnt mind if you were as fiery as that doll". At that moment she really adumbrates what I think she adumbrates, right? If so, there arises another question:
IS LAWRENCE REALLY A MALE HUMAN BEING?
Maybe he is also a pagan deity. A "sloth" god, or something similar. :P
Aug 16, 2009 7:00 AM
Aug 2009
Yea actually, I didn't quite get what Horo meant when she said that fire quote at the end. I'm guessing she means if he gets angry O_o, I don't know. But like it's really different from what the novel says. Can anyone elaborate?

Just for curiosity sake: (I guess)
Aug 16, 2009 3:48 PM

Oct 2008
Voiced408 said:
kikuchimera said:
Reyno said:

Haha.

i like that tho :)) pretty nice
Aug 16, 2009 5:48 PM
May 2008
I actually feel sorry for Amarty. A young guy who left his noble house to go out and earn a name for himself has as far as he's aware fallen in love with a nun being held as a slave over a debt. He confesses his love in front of his guild and offers to pay off her debt plus extra just so that she can be free. Yet the woman he loves and his fellow guild mate work against him to screw him over. All of which could have been avoided if Lawrence or Horo just had the guts to say no thank you to the contract and that they were romantically interested in one another.
Aug 16, 2009 10:09 PM
Aug 2009
I'll admit that it was kind of rushed but I'd been sitting on the edge of my chair fr the past weeks debating within myself like crazy whether Horo does have a "stupid side" to her or if Horo being Horo was using everyone as pawns again.... I'm glad it's finally over and we get Horo back. On another note I'm kind of miffed at Horo, if she just approached Lawrence in any one time during the past week this might have gone a little smoother, so while the dense one is Lawrence I blame the entire chain of events on Horo and thus call her a wise idiot..... Of course in retrospect that's the reason why everyone loves Horo so much right?

P.S. for the past few weeks i was waiting to savor Amarty's face on his defeat so I'm kinda disappointed with him ending the duel with some of his dignity left in tact. I do sympathize however.... hahaha poor broken hearted prideful merchant... My condolence to your manhood :D
Aug 17, 2009 8:48 AM

Aug 2007
So the conclusion is that Horo just wanted to have some fun and make a profit of her own. Well, at least the last scene was nice. Still wondering what Amarty asked her... Perhaps ''Are those tail and ears real?''.
Dutch anime blogger with a love for Ikuhara's antics and proper storytelling.
Aug 17, 2009 1:25 PM

Jul 2009
Man, at last that problem was resolved.
Too bad we didn't see a kiss or sth....
And I can see that everybody is thinking what Amarty said to her ;p
ʕ • ᴥ • ʔ
Aug 18, 2009 8:35 PM
Sep 2008
shadylookin said:
I actually feel sorry for Amarty. A young guy who left his noble house to go out and earn a name for himself has as far as he's aware fallen in love with a nun being held as a slave over a debt. He confesses his love in front of his guild and offers to pay off her debt plus extra just so that she can be free. Yet the woman he loves and his fellow guild mate work against him to screw him over. All of which could have been avoided if Lawrence or Horo just had the guts to say no thank you to the contract and that they were romantically interested in one another.

Logically, that's completely true... however he tried to interfere with HoloxLawrence so he can burn. No, he doesn't truly deserve it, but I don't care.
I'm pretty sure the in-debt thing was an entire fabrication of Holo's in the first place. Everyone just went along with it.
Aug 25, 2009 10:44 AM

Nov 2007
hehe she bit him :K

finally a good episode :3

Aug 28, 2009 5:25 PM

May 2007
Wow i didnt expect the change in pace and although i hoped that horo would help lawrence i didnt really expect it. Overall good episode
Aug 29, 2009 6:37 PM
Aug 2009
These two always seem to miss each other's clues, don't they? Lawrence has no experience with women, and doesn't understand Horo's subtle cues (he generally only seems to understand her put-downs). The dude's been alone for 7 years and now she comes in and starts to train him to be something he isn't? I'm seriously impressed he's gotten this far in only a few months!

Horo, on the other hand, chooses to ignore Lawrence's actions in favor of waiting for him to speak the magic words (or she is just too scared of pursuing that kind of relationship). He's been putting up her (sometimes savage) put-downs for months, and he's been put in some terrible situations since he met her. Most guys would have run off screaming by now, but he's still sticking to her like glue.

Oh well, Horo clearly heard Lawrence at Deanna's, and Lawrence's words would have given her all the clues she needed to know how he genuinely feels - the guy's clearly fallen for her completely.

It seems like they are both stuck now - Horo's way too proud to admit her feelings to Lawrence and has to hope he'll catch on and say something before he's dead. She also greatly fears the consequences of a relationship with someone that will live only a tiny fraction of her life-span.

And Lawrence? He knows Horo wants the finer things, and that he doesn't have the grace or tact to be the knight-in-shining-armor that she wants him to be. Even if he wants to admit his feelings for her, he probably couldn't come up with adequate words to do so. I also doubt he would have missed the fact that she would outlive him and end up lonely again - given how soft-hearted he is, I doubt it would be easy for him to be that selfish about it.

That's what I like about this series - you can consider *both* of them to be equally at fault for the mess they are in, but you still have to root for them. Because in the end, you know how miserable each would be without the other.
Aug 31, 2009 5:29 AM

Feb 2008
BashZeStampeedo said:

That's what I like about this series - you can consider *both* of them to be equally at fault for the mess they are in, but you still have to root for them. Because in the end, you know how miserable each would be without the other.

Thats a quite nice way to describe their situation.... ^^
Sep 2, 2009 12:16 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Heh, interesting outcome. Glad we got more Horo in this episode, I don't think it's the best episode so far though. But it was a good one, looking forward to what happens next.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Sep 2, 2009 1:29 PM
Jul 2009
Voiced408 said:
Yea actually, I didn't quite get what Horo meant when she said that fire quote at the end. I'm guessing she means if he gets angry O_o, I don't know. But like it's really different from what the novel says. Can anyone elaborate?

Just for curiosity sake: (I guess)

Baka-tsuki translated it as "I wouldn't mind if you were as passionate as that flame" (which was consuming the big straw doll). Just pushing him to be more affectionate to her, and telling him that she feels very affectionate as well, since he had doubted her during that arc.
Sep 4, 2009 10:47 PM

Apr 2009
Wow, nice ending to the arc. I kept rewatching when Lawrence sells his second batch and Horo slams her pyrite onto the table as well and calls him an idiot. ^^

Sep 4, 2009 11:03 PM
Jul 2009
In the book, she took off sprinting away from Amarti and raced through the crowd to him. D'awwwwwww! *_*
Sep 5, 2009 4:38 PM

Jul 2009
"please be gentle"
omg so funny XD
Sep 7, 2009 10:33 PM

Nov 2006
I wonder how old Diana is.
Sep 8, 2009 4:46 AM
May 2009
therationalpi said:
How the hell can a show about trading be so engaging? How does rising pyrite prices leave me on the edge of my seat?

Spice and Wolf remains as awesome as ever.

Dont know, i ask my self that alot, when my friend told me about this serie and told me what it was about i didnt feel so happy about watching it. (specially not since i watch most fighting animes). NEVER though it could be this addictive anime.

kikuchimera said:
Reyno said:

YES Please!! would be a nice end of the series, fast winding few years after the end, and see Lawrence and Horo have babies :P living happily ever after.

Finally its over, i didn't watch this while it was being aired, and im very happy i didn't. Don't think i could have waited 1 week after episode 5. I marathon d season 1 and 2 in 2 days. But now when i almost caught up with the airing i consider stopping and save all episodes up the end of the season. Because if there is another of this climax moments i wont be able to wait another week :P lol. Or should i keep watching and then suffer for 1 month waiting week for week? i watched episode 7 and know its safe to watch in the mater.

(what does that abbreviation you use stand for? Acr?)

First time i read in this spice and wolf forums but i really didn't believe people to be this obsessed with Horo, thought i was alone, and then i don't mean "ye horo is cute and nice " i mean i really envy Lawrence so bad and almost feel bad about going back to IRL after watching an episode. Wish it was me.

This feelings is like when i was watching/reading the end of Elfen lied.
Sep 10, 2009 7:19 PM

Jul 2009
I pretty much suspected she was acting from the beginning, but still, that was pretty anti-climatic. They barely even showed Amati's getting owned. Leaves a bad taste in the mouth.
Sep 26, 2009 3:58 AM

Oct 2008
Amarty getting owned was priceless. Good resolution to this arc aswell! I had no idea the whole thing was an act ><. Although the constant reference to the feathers on Horo's disguise should have rung some bells in my head..

Looking forward to more.
Sep 28, 2009 9:37 PM

Aug 2009
ALRIGHT!
That SOB Amarty got his ass kicked!
Damn I feel like punching Lawrence. Just confess already!

sigh, it was all an act,
Horo for the win!!!
Sep 28, 2009 10:59 PM
Aug 2009
kool_300 said:
ALRIGHT!
That SOB Amarty got his ass kicked!
Damn I feel like punching Lawrence. Just confess already!

sigh, it was all an act,
Horo for the win!!!

Heh.. I love it when people think Lawrence is going to fall for Horo after only a month or two on the road with her.. this isn't a cheesy high-school romance :D

Until this fiasco Lawrence probably had (at best) a crush on Horo. It wasn't until he imagined the possibility of losing her that he started to realize that he loved her. Besides, he has the king of all excuses: he's been traveling alone for almost all of 7 years, and has no real experience with this weird "love" feeling.
Also, it's not like Horo is having an easy time confessing to him :D

Anyway, feel free to resume Lawrence-bashing; he's the designated doormat of the series :)
Oct 13, 2009 7:25 AM

Jul 2009
Gladly they wrapped up the problem nicely..i almost lose my control this recent episode..
Oct 17, 2009 11:54 AM

Aug 2009
Loool, goddamn it was just an act.

So, the alchemist Deanna was also a beast like Horo.
Horo in the end was just hilarious. She heard Lawrence asking Deanna if humans can also mate with the spirits, lol.

Now, they're back together. Looking forward for some new adventures.

Nice episode.
Nov 6, 2009 2:47 PM

Dec 2007
Heh, it was just an act. I am very satisfied with this arc, and it was really best episode even I’ve seen for a while. I’m glad Horo is back, and the problem has been finally solved. The first half was really intense, and the second one was so nice and heartwarming. The story is excellent, and the pacing is perfect. I am looking forward to next arc. Yay for Lawrence x Horo.
Nov 9, 2009 11:42 PM

Apr 2009
that felt really anti climatic... it was like a "yes, i made all this happen, it was all me, i planned all this, lets act as if all this never happened"... well that was me anyway.

almost literally Deus Ex Machina =P (bad pun i know)

well no need to watch any more until next week now this arc is done =P

~Savage
Nov 10, 2009 11:22 AM
Nov 2009
I agree, this was very disappointing and anticlimactic. Turns out the kid, Lando, is the hero. And Lawrence loves a girl that doesn't understand him. Somehow Amarty is amazed at his defeat (like any good mustache-twirling villain). And Deanna turns out to be the most interesting character on the show, messing with Horo intentionally to give her a taste of her own medicine (too bad Lawrence was a pawn in this game of gods).

But Horo? Downright pathetic. In full-on Suzumiya Haruhi mode, she only hears and understands what she wants to hear and understand. She hears everything at Deanna's, and then Lawrence admissions spell out just how stupidly Horo's been acting this whole time. So she makes him take all the blame and then flirts with him some more. I hope she is less pathetic in the second half of the season.
Nov 13, 2009 3:27 AM

Jun 2009
Great episode and it's believable considering how intelligent Horo has shown herself to be in the past. Do you people even pay attention to how the characters act or do you just forget the previous episodes and seasons? All in all, I think the story of this arc was well planned out and I was satisfied the entire time.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Nov 13, 2009 9:21 AM
Nov 2009
insan3soldiern said:
Do you people even pay attention to how the characters act or do you just forget the previous episodes and seasons?

I've certainly been paying attention. Heck, I more or less predicted the outcome in ep3. Just to qualify my stance, I was really disappointed in Horo, not the story. The story itself was, frankly, more tense and interesting than it probably deserved to be.. how can I fault it for pulling it that off?

So I'll be clear: I'm enjoying this series, and didn't rate this ep "low". I was really expressing my disappointment in Horo. I think it's AWESOME that she's just as stupid and oblivious as Lawrence is, only in different ways. She's supposed to be infinitely wiser and smarter than he is, but here I am wanting to punch her just as much as I want to punch him.
Dec 24, 2009 7:29 PM
Mar 2008
Dude, I did not understand a single bit of the whole plan he came up with LOL
All I know is that Horo was trolling and that's all I need XD
Jan 3, 2010 1:59 PM

Aug 2009
I anticipated this episode so much back when it was airing that the rest of the season felt really blank and boring just dealing with money and stuff. Maybe I should go back and watch the following arc later.
Jan 7, 2010 1:08 PM

Jan 2009
Lawrence x Horo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i am so happy

Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou II Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

vinesage - Sep 2, 2009

211 by Ryudrake »»
May 4, 6:04 PM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou II Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

vinesage - Sep 23, 2009

446 by BetaMaleUltra »»
Apr 27, 2:41 AM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou II Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

vinesage - Sep 16, 2009

133 by BetaMaleUltra »»
Apr 27, 2:14 AM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou II Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Mikiyo - Sep 10, 2009

109 by BetaMaleUltra »»
Apr 27, 1:40 AM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou II Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

vinesage - Aug 26, 2009

134 by BetaMaleUltra »»
Apr 24, 2:57 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.