Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Nov 16, 2013 12:27 PM

Dec 2012
greebo said:
What a pale shadow of a sequal this is turning out to be. Lost all its humour and plot.

Plot? Humour maybe, but if anything, the plot has grown substantially in comparison.
Nov 16, 2013 12:31 PM

May 2011
Solid episode. The building up for the rest of Refrain was handled pretty well. Not as great as it could have been with a better director, but I wasn't disappointed. Very faithful to the original.

dizzyworld2 said:
greebo said:
What a pale shadow of a sequal this is turning out to be. Lost all its humour and plot.

The thing is Refrain IS the plot. S1 arguably does not have a focused plot, just character routes, and Refrain ties them together to the real plot of Little Busters!. There is some humor in original source in Refrain but sadly, it'll probably be cut due to time constraints. Not that it truly matters due to the seriousness of Refrain :/

Don't pay him any mind. I'm sure he's just trolling (or ignorant).

Vortiene said:
all the girls just disappearing isn't exactly helping every character being developed well in the end...

Just wait and see what happens™. It's pretty easy to assume that the other heroines aren't just there for kicks. ;)
Nov 16, 2013 12:35 PM

Aug 2013
This was an average episode had some big pacing issues, hopefully they pick it up for rest of refrain.
Nov 16, 2013 12:39 PM

Jul 2013
Midou89 said:
This was an average episode had some big pacing issues, hopefully they pick it up for rest of refrain.

yeah, i mean after all, it's not supposed to jump right into everything first episode.. im glad it started off the way it did, stayed true to the beginning of refrain
この世界には。。。秘密がある
Nov 16, 2013 12:57 PM

Oct 2011
What happen!!!!!! Wasn't it suppose to continue from when Rin was being taken away?? What happen to Kyousuke?? It seems everyone is different from their usual self. Another world???? Is Riki the new Kyousuke??? He will bring every together again? Why is this episode called May 13th??
Nov 16, 2013 12:58 PM

Nov 2013
Gah. Boring. Had to be done, I know... Still. Riki laughs like a girl :D (I know he's voiced by a woman). Around 17:00 or so. Teehee.

All the Masato avatars are making me laugh...
AeroingNov 16, 2013 1:17 PM
Nov 16, 2013 1:00 PM

Nov 2009
First episode of season 1 all over again >>
Nov 16, 2013 1:02 PM

Aug 2008
Thank you JC Staff for not making Rin mind broken like she was in the visual novel. She's just scared of everything instead.
Nov 16, 2013 1:04 PM

Oct 2013
AnimeFan500 said:
Why is this episode called May 13th??

Probably because the events happened in May 13th?
New on Myanimelist.
Nov 16, 2013 1:05 PM

May 2012
I'm extremely confused as to what happened this episode.
Go ***k yourself.

Polite as usual,
lightXTC
Nov 16, 2013 1:06 PM
Apr 2013
hyperknees91 said:
Thank you JC Staff for not making Rin mind broken like she was in the visual novel. She's just scared of everything instead.

Oh yeah. Completely forgot to mention that. Thank you very much JC Staff! Keep up the good work!

lightXTC said:
I'm extremely confused as to what happened this episode.

As well you should.
MCALNov 16, 2013 1:09 PM
Nov 16, 2013 1:15 PM

Nov 2010
I think it's understandable for anime only viewers to have a very mixed feelings about this episode. Those who still didn't get any clue about what's going on were left very puzzled, while those who have arranged most of the puzzles were somewhat trolled by desire to see the answers of the mystery, which must be surpressed for another episode or more.

To be honest I was expecting a "BANG" for the start of Refrain, since I was speculating that they will do
. I blame MAL users for giving clues about this outside of spoiler tag :p, but I still suspect it will happen later...

Well, to be fair I was influenced by one of the best execution of plot twist that I have ever seen in (a visual novel which has a similar twist, even mentioning the title would be a spoiler to those who haven't watch both. Starts from letter S)
. I was especting LB to execute the plot twist reveal in similar method lol.
Nov 16, 2013 1:16 PM

Jun 2013
Im not sure what alot of the bad reviews on this episode are coming from, it was extreemely faithful to its source material and the soundtrack was perfectly placed
Best episode so far! :)
Nov 16, 2013 1:28 PM
Feb 2013
LittleStar said:
I knew it they are in some another world!
But I don't understand some things...
why Kyousuke is like that?
There are other girls in this world?
They show their places, but they aren't there...
I want next episode!

All in due time. Hopefully they will pull it off like the VN in which case youll be in tears.
Nov 16, 2013 1:28 PM
Apr 2013
SakurasouBusters said:
Im not sure what alot of the bad reviews on this episode are coming from, it was extreemely faithful to its source material and the soundtrack was perfectly placed
Best episode so far! :)

You know Key fans... Everything must be perfect or... THE WORLD WILL END!
Nov 16, 2013 1:29 PM

May 2010
Hikkikomori Kyousuke </3 I wanted him to make that face though:
http://www.zerochan.net/61548

Still it's a really good episode, Maeda's gold, REFRAIN has finally began. It's been almost two years since I've played it, so even I'm a bit confused what the heck is happening :D

A lot of love for Kengo this episode, moment when he was talking to Riki was sooo heart warming, awww.

koagzero said:
Wonder when they will show The world where nothing happened~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZtMsMcOuRc

One of the best, can't wait for it too. This one along with Thin Chronicles, and Let's Return always makes me feel like I'm about to vomit. Which makes it so perfect, of course :D
Nov 16, 2013 1:32 PM
Feb 2013
Vladz0r said:
Welp, I don't care about these discussions until episode 11 happens.
People being confused equate their confusion with the show having no plot.
And on top of that, I had low expectations for this episode and JC Staff didn't even meet them, so I don't have much faith in "Kami-sama Staffing" anymore.

*Fingers crossed for a remake of this travesty of an adaptation.*

So yeah, it's like saying Higurashi didn't have a plot up until the last 4 episodes.

Been saying it since this season started, really want some other company to pick up LB! and remake it the way it should have been done. Similar to what they did with kanon.
Nov 16, 2013 1:32 PM
Feb 2013
hyperknees91 said:

That was too downplayed that im not sure wtf they did.
Nov 16, 2013 1:35 PM

May 2010
Draakisback said:
hyperknees91 said:

:( I think I liked the 'retarded' Rin a bit better. Probably just me, tho. It just made me more invested.
Nov 16, 2013 1:36 PM

Nov 2009
Draakisback said:
LittleStar said:
I knew it they are in some another world!
But I don't understand some things...
why Kyousuke is like that?
There are other girls in this world?
They show their places, but they aren't there...
I want next episode!

All in due time. Hopefully they will pull it off like the VN in which case youll be in tears.

Can you guys please stop giving so much assurance. You're going to ruin their moment if you keep saying that to every new viewer that comes by... It's suppose to be unexpected, but expected. >>
Nov 16, 2013 1:39 PM
Jun 2013
As a VN reader, I really enjoyed it. The animation is still great, as for the OST, especially at the end. JC Staff did remove a lot of materials, mostly the fun scenes, but it's okay since that's not as much important as it was during common route or first season. The episode is not quick-paced. The show is, but it's a matter of budget. They did with what they had and I think it's more than okay. I like Masato in this episode more than in the VN, he seems more friendly, like a caring brother. Kyousuke's scenes were good too. Adding the girls' favorites places was such a good idea as well.

I can only complain about Rin and Kengo's development. It can't be helped because of an episode duration and budget, but by removing all of the fun moments, JC Staff put aside a lot of Kengo's. As for Rin, she can seems bipolar because of how quick she got better for the same reasons.

To summarize, it could have been better, of course, but it's still a great episode, probably not as much as episode 6, mainly because, unlike the previous one, the current episode is not supposed to be climatic. Stil my assumptions though. The VN did better for sure, and those who haven't read it should really do because of all that's left aside. Anyway, it's still one of the best episodes so far for me. Now that the introduction is done, let's dive deeper into Refrain...
ze1151154Nov 16, 2013 1:45 PM
Nov 16, 2013 1:42 PM
Apr 2013
Draakisback said:
hyperknees91 said:

Trust me. This is DEFINITELY a good thing. I can assure you.
Nov 16, 2013 1:43 PM

Aug 2011
The discontinuity between this episode and the last and the striking similarities to the first episode of LB… have the events of season one and refrain been reset?! Then again, Kyousuke and co seem to remember what’s happened? Maybe something’s just happened to Riki and Rin’s memories?

Either way, it seems increasingly likely that Kyousuke is somehow able to manipulate events and Kengo has just become one of my favourite characters for refusing to put up with it. Frankly, I’m not sure if I dislike Kyousuke or Masato more. The fact that Kyousuke is wallowing in self-pity seems to imply he is regretting screwing with Rin, whereas the conniving excuse for a character Masato is acting indifferently.

Roll on next week; hopefully we will get some answers!
Nov 16, 2013 1:44 PM

Aug 2008
MCAL said:
Draakisback said:
hyperknees91 said:

Trust me. This is DEFINITELY a good thing. I can assure you.

More like the best decision they could have ever made in this adaption. In fact it will make this refrain adaption a lot more tolerable in a lot of ways. Considering Rin is the driving force of the arc you WANT this to be.
Nov 16, 2013 2:09 PM

Sep 2011
Not sure how I feel about this episode. Mixed feelings, but it was okay, I guess.
Nov 16, 2013 2:23 PM

Sep 2012
It's good to see people do some good speculation here (I'm looking at you, KamiNoItte)

I just hope the reveals in the next 3 episodes are well done and mindblowing as their foreshadowing has been blatant.
Nov 16, 2013 2:28 PM

Aug 2012
KamiNoItte said:
Frankly, I’m not sure if I dislike Kyousuke or Masato more. The fact that Kyousuke is wallowing in self-pity seems to imply he is regretting screwing with Rin, whereas the conniving excuse for a character Masato is acting indifferently.

Same here, I'm finding it extremely hard to like those characters right now, it's so hard to know what's going through Masato's head, seems to be putting up a facade half the time.
Nov 16, 2013 2:29 PM

Sep 2012
DStev said:

Same here, I'm finding it extremely hard to like those characters right now, it's so hard to know what's going through Masato's head, seems to be putting up a facade half the time.

Hehe, you'll get to see what's going on in his head soon enough~
Nov 16, 2013 2:31 PM
Mar 2013
Good episode but felt a bit lacking. I really don't like Masato at the moment

Also I decided to start the VN since everyone talks about it
Nov 16, 2013 2:57 PM

Sep 2007
Well that was confusing as ... I suppose it only whets my appetite for the grand finale

Nov 16, 2013 3:11 PM

Aug 2008
Kitsu-nee said:
Draakisback said:
hyperknees91 said:

:( I think I liked the 'retarded' Rin a bit better. Probably just me, tho. It just made me more invested.

How did it make you feel more invested? By her having no emotional response to anything that was happening it made you feel more invested?

Perhaps you just wanted her to improve again, but honestly the way her character was handled in the VN was just flat out insulting to the rest of the VN.
Nov 16, 2013 3:38 PM

Oct 2011
Hmm, good episode. And so Riki's mission to become Kyousuke begins.
They're still not using "A World Where Nothing Happened"... saving it for the secret of the world perhaps?

Next up, Masato Episode!
Nov 16, 2013 3:51 PM

Jul 2013
Kosurin said:
Hmm, good episode. And so Riki's mission to become Kyousuke begins.
They're still not using "A World Where Nothing Happened"... saving it for the secret of the world perhaps?

Next up, Masato Episode!

i would guess they're saving it for
or
. but hopefully we'll actually get it in the anime (some people are doubting we'll hear it at all)
sanata50lbsbNov 16, 2013 4:16 PM
この世界には。。。秘密がある
Nov 16, 2013 4:03 PM

Mar 2012
Next episode
sakaNov 16, 2013 6:37 PM
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Nov 16, 2013 4:07 PM

Jan 2011
dat episode Title it's called that for a reason people! :P

thought the episode was good just felt like something was missing among the kinda odd pacing...OH YEAH 'A World Where Nothing Happened' just might lose it if they don't play it :(.
Nov 16, 2013 4:26 PM

May 2010
hyperknees91 said:
Kitsu-nee said:
Draakisback said:
hyperknees91 said:

How did it make you feel more invested? By her having no emotional response to anything that was happening it made you feel more invested?

Perhaps you just wanted her to improve again, but honestly the way her character was handled in the VN was just flat out insulting to the rest of the VN.

Hard to say right now, but I guess it was something more like: whooaaa, what the hell happened?! Why is she behaving like a kid now?! I need to read everything ASAP!!!
You know, when something that happens just makes you gasp. It felt like the best twist they could have choose and it still does, though I have to re-read the visual novel to know that for sure.
Nov 16, 2013 4:27 PM

Jan 2013
This episode just didn't feel right... they failed to set the atmosphere of "A lot of bad things are going on right now" and "Something has gone awfully wrong".

Also, why remove A-chan-Senpai and put in some random old dorm mother instead?
Nov 16, 2013 4:32 PM
Apr 2013
Naoki-Saten said:
This episode just didn't feel right... they failed to set the atmosphere of "A lot of bad things are going on right now" and "Something has gone awfully wrong".

I don't know... Rin scared of everything, Kyousuke depressed, Kengo's anger and stuff like that was conveyed quite well...
MCALNov 16, 2013 4:39 PM
Nov 16, 2013 4:38 PM

Jan 2013
MCAL said:
Naoki-Saten said:

I don't know... Rin scared of everything, Kyousuke depressed, Kengo's anger and stuff like that was conveyed quite well...

It felt a lot stronger and more depressing in the VN. I can't really put a finger on what exactly went wrong here, except that the music direction was all over the place once again...
Nov 16, 2013 4:45 PM
Jun 2013
Naoki-Saten said:
It felt a lot stronger and more depressing in the VN. I can't really put a finger on what exactly went wrong here, except that the music direction was all over the place once again...

Think it was okay though. Sure, the VN did this better and, for once, I prefer the VN Rin than the anime one, but still. I can only really complain about removed fun scenes which remind common route/season 1 and show a primordial side of Kengo and the lack of Rin's moments which almost made her seems bipolar by going right all of a sudden.
Nov 16, 2013 4:54 PM

Jun 2012
For having a rule of not posting from the VN, I like how people keep mentioning the track
That right there is a fairly big hint as to what's going on.

EDIT: Also what is up
Malus92Nov 16, 2013 4:59 PM
Nov 16, 2013 4:56 PM
Apr 2013
That's the thing. The lack of comedy (For the most part) made the sense of wrongness and depression even worse.
Nov 16, 2013 5:00 PM

Sep 2012
MCAL said:
That's the thing. The lack of comedy (For the most part) made the sense of wrongness and depression even worse.

Do you mean that the wrongness and depression were better conveyed in the anime?
You say "worse" but that isn't a clear word I would use here.

I think the lack of comedy may have set the mood better for the anime, but better OST usage could've done a lot more for this episode. The whole thing though was that the episode in its entirely felt "serious", but not as serious as in the VN. The VN had comedy moments and turned more serious once Riki tried to get them to play baseball. Both ways were effective in saying "Things aren't how they used to be." but the VN's OST directing was miles better, as always.
Nov 16, 2013 5:24 PM
Nov 2013
wow the feels when it showed the places riki met all the girls... :(
I really liked this episode, I'm just wondering,
DESPITE THE WEIRD PACING, this week left me with good feelings i liked seeing
Nov 16, 2013 5:25 PM

Oct 2013
Just as Riki said to Kyousuke, what in the world happened? Did they come back in time or went to another world? Or both? Or maybe they went to another timeline like what happened in Steins;Gate. That would probably be the reason why VN players keep mention Steins;Gate in these discussions even before the start of LB Refrain.
And why is it that the others know what happened before but Riki and Rin don't? Also, how come Kyousuke became a depressed shut-in? I thought he was some sinister badass.

On another note, this Refrain arc has truly become serious. No more comedic scenes. Just pure seriousness.
Its kind of weird how they put those lava lamp colors as background for Masato and Kengo and made it look like Riki is stoned. Hahaha.
When they showed the places the girls would usually be and they're not there it made me very sad. I missed the girls although I think they're not going to appear in the entirety of Refrain arc.
Anyway, for me its a good episode overall and I'm looking forward for next week.
-Riptide-Nov 16, 2013 5:55 PM
Nov 16, 2013 5:37 PM

Jul 2013
As someone who hasn't played the VN nor shows any interest to do so, I was just left speechless -- what is happening?

Is this just some alternate timeline where Riki never met the other girls and the Little Busters have seemingly had issues upon issues fallen on them? What does everyone know that they (Riki and Rin) don't? Kyousuke's position has gone from all-knowing badass to manga reading shut-in -- how come? Why is it that after that feel-fueled ending from episode six, we're given this episode which takes out all of the drama due to stuff we don't know about/stuff that's only briefly explained?

Perhaps I'm still disappointed from the Korra finale, but this is was just a weird one for me. The sooner I get an explanation, the better.
Nov 16, 2013 5:47 PM

Jul 2013
CamoBullo said:
As someone who hasn't played the VN nor shows any interest to do so, I was just left speechless -- what is happening?

Is this just some alternate timeline where Riki never met the other girls and the Little Busters have seemingly had issues upon issues fallen on them? What does everyone know that they (Riki and Rin) don't? Kyousuke's position has gone from all-knowing badass to manga reading shut-in -- how come? Why is it that after that feel-fueled ending from episode six, we're given this episode which takes out all of the drama due to stuff we don't know about/stuff that's only briefly explained?

Perhaps I'm still disappointed from the Korra finale, but this is was just a weird one for me. The sooner I get an explanation, the better.

this episode is supposed to be like that. during these next few episodes, the answers youre searching for will slowly piece together. and btw theres two more eps of Korra?
この世界には。。。秘密がある
Nov 16, 2013 5:50 PM

Nov 2011
I have a different perspective:

I haven't played VN yet either but...eh, is this related to a time loop/travel or something? (similar to Steins;Gate?) This is my impression so far until more will be explained in this Refrain arc.
Stark700Nov 16, 2013 5:53 PM
Nov 16, 2013 6:11 PM

Jul 2013
sanata50lbsb said:
CamoBullo said:

this episode is supposed to be like that. during these next few episodes, the answers youre searching for will slowly piece together. and btw theres two more eps of Korra?

I sure hope I get the answers.

And, they decided to air the last four episodes of the season on the same day.
Nov 16, 2013 6:15 PM
Jul 2009
What is going on.............. ._.

It's like it's Kengo's wish for Riki to re-write the past or something - he seems to be the one most angry LOL
LlghtNov 16, 2013 6:18 PM
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Little Busters!: Refrain Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 28, 2013

539 by CrazyButNot4U »»
May 16, 10:28 PM

Poll: » Little Busters!: Refrain Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Vladz0r - Dec 21, 2013

372 by CrazyButNot4U »»
May 16, 9:41 PM

Poll: » Little Busters!: Refrain Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 14, 2013

352 by CrazyButNot4U »»
May 16, 9:30 PM

Poll: » Little Busters!: Refrain Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 7, 2013

230 by CrazyButNot4U »»
May 16, 8:46 PM

Poll: » Little Busters!: Refrain Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 30, 2013

186 by CrazyButNot4U »»
May 16, 8:41 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.