Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

[SPOILERS] Refrain vs. After Story- which climactic or pivotal scene impacted you the most?

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Sep 28, 2013 12:41 AM

Jul 2012
Refrain was bloody glorious, compared to AS I feel Refrain just stomps right over it.
Sep 28, 2013 6:31 AM

Aug 2008
Both are beautiful but I do prefer Refrains simply because of how attached I was to the characters.

It's a damn shame that both scenes are ruined but their respective stories endings.
Sep 28, 2013 6:40 AM

Sep 2012
hyperknees91 said:
Both are beautiful but I do prefer Refrains simply because of how attached I was to the characters.

It's a damn shame that both scenes are ruined but their respective stories endings.

I felt that the good ending for Refrain was well earned though. Riki exceeding Kyousuke's expectation and epiphany was amazing.
Sep 28, 2013 6:48 AM

Sep 2012
I think the LB: Refrain ending will be better done than the After Story anime ending. The Clannad After Story ending in the VN seems like it would be more rewarding than the true ending of Refrain, though, which was more of a time loop/reset.
So ending-wise.
After Story VN > Refrain Anime/VN > After Story Anime
Sep 28, 2013 6:59 AM

Aug 2008
Possibly I would have to read the Clannad VN, but I doubt it would change my complaints hah.

My complaints aren't how the endings happen but more of what they do to the story. And what they do is cheapen the drama which I'm not a big fan of.
Sep 28, 2013 7:07 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Am I the only one who honestly thought AS was better in the anime than in the VN? It's not something I'd normally say as VNs > anime in pretty much all occasions, but the way the storybranching worked in the VN of AS was just awkward to me. Like, you get all the Orbs of Light that are available in various parts of AS, then when you've gotten them all... nothing. Instead you reload an old save into pretty much the middle of the route in order to redo the birth scene only to have a different conclusion.

I mean I love the ending of Clannad, but it's just weird to have a true route requiring multiple playthroughs in itself to me, the actual conclusion should just be its own linear route.
Sep 28, 2013 8:58 AM

Aug 2008
HaXXspetten said:
Am I the only one who honestly thought AS was better in the anime than in the VN? It's not something I'd normally say as VNs > anime in pretty much all occasions, but the way the storybranching worked in the VN of AS was just awkward to me. Like, you get all the Orbs of Light that are available in various parts of AS, then when you've gotten them all... nothing. Instead you reload an old save into pretty much the middle of the route in order to redo the birth scene only to have a different conclusion.

I mean I love the ending of Clannad, but it's just weird to have a true route requiring multiple playthroughs in itself to me, the actual conclusion should just be its own linear route.

Oh so that's how it works...I'm not sure. That kind of story telling obviously only works in a visual novel. Now it kind of makes sense on why the anime ending was so incredibly lame.

Idk how to feel about that regardless. I guess I'm a little less against it maybe?

Also MLA will make you feel like crap like crap has never been felt before. Kinda like Swan Song.
Oct 6, 2013 3:04 PM
Feb 2013
You cant really compare these 2 scenes. If you were to compare 2 scenes from both anime i would say compare the death's for Nagisa/Ushio vs the parting of the boys and girls. Id still have LB! come on top but thats just me. The entire nature of that scene in LB! is to provide a huge plot twist mixed with a emotional shock. Just hearing Kyouske say one of the lines he says, wont say it here, is enough to get my eyes gushing, but that's not all that's in that scene. You also have Mastato's little piece and Kengo's piece both which reveal a lot about their characters: There really isn't a more fitting end for these character then those scenes.

Not to mention that Up till Kyouske's arc you are constantly questioning Kyouske's motiviation. IMO this scene cements that he is infact riki's best friend and has always been looking out for him. When I first went through this scene, I felt as though i was loosing my best friends. The Clannad flower scene was sad but it didn't have that amount of impact on me despite it being very emotional.
Oct 6, 2013 3:06 PM
Feb 2013
HaXXspetten said:

You aren't the only one. I personally like clannad as a VN more then as an anime, however, i still loved the anime. I feel even more strongly about LB! as a VN vs the LB! anime. I really just cant see LB! being as good as a linear story compared to the clusterfuck of a VN it was.

Not to mention how badly they butchered some of my favorite scenes and character arcs in the first season. If refrain some how beats the original refrain then maybe ill change my mind about this, but i dont think that is possible for 2 reasons. First, i already played LB! years ago many times before the anime came out and secondly, LB! just works better in the VN form. I really cant see how they can transition from Rin 2 to refrain with-out giving up the entire plot twist or drastically changing how the scenes work out which to me kind of defeats the purpose.
DraakisbackOct 6, 2013 3:09 PM
Oct 6, 2013 3:34 PM

Sep 2012
@Draakisback

But if they do handle the transition between Rin2-> Refrain well, it'll add more believability to the Secret of the World.
I think the audience is definitely going to be speculating more on the Secret, especially after that first episode.
Kyousuke's manipulation and everything may make more sense, and the audience may be able to follow along with the dialogue of Refrain instead of being as confused as some of the VN readers who didn't catch the hints throughout the VN.
I think the plot twist is important and they might be getting people to predict it, but the fact that people can more clearly see it being developed, and can more easily understand the bros' motives before the farewell, is going to add some impact to Refrain.

I think this because I know people who read Refrain and were confused throughout a lot of it, and one friend of mine was so shocked at the world being real, he didn't understand Kyousuke's motives or even feel much for Kyousuke.
Hinting all this stuff and getting the audience to be more inquisitive instead of keeping everyone confused throughout the entire arc is going to make it more enjoyable for anime-only watchers, which I think is important.

I mean, I think they're already establishing parts about the time looping and routes repeating (though I think this is an anime-only part, since you only finish a route once in the VN, but I dunno), and Kyousuke resetting the world and him being the mastermind is becoming more apparent.

I spoiled most of the secret for myself in advance: the fact that the world wasn't real, there was a bus crash, and Kyousuke created the world somehow. I still enjoyed seeing how the secret unraveled, and I really got to understand the character motives while reading Refrain, and that made it really enjoyable overall. My friend did the same thing and feels the same way about the story, and we think that a lot of anime viewers might be confused and disengaged from the experience of Refrain if there was no foreshadowing to supplement the story.

I think that setting up the story in a way to get the audience to understand "what" is going on, but not necessarily "why", it important.
I'm liking how the changes are, and people are getting interested now.

Also, I don't want the secret to come off as a "forced" thing, where people completely miss the magical parts of LB and complain towards the end that they were misled into thinking it was a normal slice of life, or something... (even though there are of course Mio's and Kud's routes) A lot of people felt this way about Clannad After Story's ending, which people say was anticlimactic in its transition to anime. The last thing I want to here about the Secret of the World is that it was "forced".

As an overall adaptation, it'll probably not be as good as Clannad, but I didn't think Kyou and Tomoyo's route were done complete justice in the OVAs anyway. S1 vs. S1, Clannad would probably win because of the animation and less pacing issues.

Refrain vs. After Story... we'll see how that works out. I just hope they have everything things worked out well. I have high hopes for it, seeing how much more intricate details are being applied to the anime so far.
Oct 7, 2013 8:45 AM
Photojournalist

Apr 2007
I'm going to have to go with Clannad because friends come and go. They are expendable and new friends are plentiful. Family, like in Clannad, isn't expendable. Your first child and your first love isn't expendable. Besides that, Clannad's scenes had more impact on me even though I normally wouldn't give a shit about family,
Oct 7, 2013 9:31 AM

Mar 2011
even though it has been years since i've last seen After Story, i think the field scene was more emotional for me. i cried my butt off during both scenes though.. that's for sure
Oct 8, 2013 4:08 PM

Nov 2009
Lolicon said:
I'm going to have to go with Clannad because friends come and go. They are expendable and new friends are plentiful. Family, like in Clannad, isn't expendable. Your first child and your first love isn't expendable. Besides that, Clannad's scenes had more impact on me even though I normally wouldn't give a shit about family,

If you think friends are expendable, then you must have lived a good life.
My views and experiences are completely different from yours sadly...

I don't think they are expendable.
There are various scenarios that can create bonds we know as friendship irreplaceable.

+ we're talking about Friends versus family.

Both have first loves involved.
Oct 8, 2013 4:09 PM

Feb 2013
MagicFlier said:
Lolicon said:

If you think friends are expendable, then you must have lived a good life.

I'm sure that isn't quite what they meant...
Part of Refrain Subs for Little Busters!: Refrain
Recently Played/Read VNS (Most Recent to Oldest):
- Da Capo
- Grisaia no Kajitsu
- ef - a fairy tale of the two
- G-senjou no Maou
- Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shoujo & Sharin no Kuni, Yuukyuu no Shounenshoujo (Fan Disk)
- Rewrite
- Hoshizora no Memoria -Wish upon a shooting star-
- Clannad
- Little Busters EX!
Oct 12, 2013 12:39 PM

Dec 2009
Little Busters is my take.

Kyousuke, Masato and Kengo loved hanging out with Rin and Riki. They were best friends, they played and did so many crazy things together, like the Loli Loli Hunters. Knowing that their time together was coming to an end destroyed me.

How Kyousuke, and especially Kengo, said goodbye to Rin and Riki, that was painful. I couldn't stop crying.
Oct 12, 2013 12:55 PM

Jul 2010
First of all. I don't cry if I'm not sympathize with the characters. I didn't cry with Clannad AS, the only thing that made me cry in Clannad was Fuko's arc.

Therefore, I immediately pick the Refrain's farewells as most touching scene. I couldn't believe it until Riki woke up in the real world.
Oct 13, 2013 6:03 AM

Nov 2009
Refrain's parting of the boys made me cry where I didn't even feel a twinge from anything in After Story.

Of course the fact I couldn't stand Nagisa was probably a major contributing factor to that. If it had been Kyou or Kotomi that it had all happened to it might have been different though.
Dec 10, 2013 11:16 PM

Oct 2013
I'm going to vote in this poll after episode 11 airs. But if I'm gonna base it on Boy's farewell in the vn vs Clannad flowerfield scene in the anime, I'll go with Clannad. It was because when I was watching it I did't know what was about to happen but in LB, it was obvious that they are about to disappear.
Dec 11, 2013 10:46 AM
Sep 2013
Again, I give up on this poll. Both scenes made me tons of tear drops.
They're very different yet very magnificent.

IMO AIR Misuzu's goal reaching scene, Clannad's flower field and reminiscence of Nagisa, Refrain's farewells,
, The message sent from Tomoyo in Tomoyo After, Planetarian's ending, Shizuru's diary and her reencounter from Rewrite are in my top list.
JimRaynorDec 11, 2013 2:14 PM
Dec 11, 2013 11:49 AM

Sep 2012
^
Those spoilers, this nigga...
Dec 11, 2013 2:04 PM

Aug 2010
JimRaynor said:

NOOOOOO! OMFG. WHYYY. I just got spoiled for Saya's route.
Dec 11, 2013 2:13 PM
Sep 2013
Ragna92 said:
JimRaynor said:

NOOOOOO! OMFG. WHYYY. I just got spoiled for Saya's route.

Vladz0r said:
^
Those spoilers, this nigga...

Wat?!
OK, I edited my thread a little bit...
Dec 11, 2013 2:19 PM

Sep 2012
Heh, that's better I suppose, since some of those scenes seem vague.
Luckily I already knew how Saya's route ended, and I'll be editing the JC Staff buchered version of it.
Dec 11, 2013 2:28 PM
Sep 2013
Vladz0r said:
Heh, that's better I suppose, since some of those scenes seem vague.
Luckily I already knew how Saya's route ended, and I'll be editing the JC Staff buchered version of it.

Aya will be fine! xD
Dec 11, 2013 3:13 PM

Sep 2013
I think that AfterStory's anime is better than LB Refrain's anime but LB Visual Novel is the fucking winner.
Dec 11, 2013 3:20 PM

Sep 2012
Gelatina said:
I think that AfterStory's anime is better than LB Refrain's anime but LB Visual Novel is the fucking winner.

Welp, better blame the LB source material for the anime not being as highly acclaimed. *rolls eyes*
Vladz0rDec 11, 2013 3:27 PM
Dec 11, 2013 3:34 PM
Sep 2013
Vladz0r said:
Gelatina said:

Welp, better blame the LB source material for the anime not being as highly acclaimed.

Yep. Some of the LB fans already said LB isn't suitable to have an anime adaption few years ago. Key is even making more difficult adapting into anime on their latest work. xD

Though the anime right now is really good enough for me.
JimRaynorDec 11, 2013 3:41 PM
Dec 11, 2013 3:41 PM

Sep 2012
Heh, it's just funny how Key's toughest adaptation goes to JC Staff.
Imagine them animating Rewrite with this staff and budget.
Dec 11, 2013 4:05 PM
Sep 2013
Vladz0r said:
Heh, it's just funny how Key's toughest adaptation goes to JC Staff.
Imagine them animating Rewrite with this staff and budget.

I'd shout out "STOP" loud. xD
Due to the hype of Rewrite OP2, we're expecting WhiteFox to take the job. WhiteFox is under Warnar Bros Japan too. Considering a good relationship between VA/Key and WB Japan built up since the Rewrite project.

Toughest adaption up-to-date indeed, which KyoAni wasn't ready for making LB adaption.

The anime adaption of Rewrite can't be followed the way KyoAni adapting Kanon, AIR & Clannad too.
Dec 12, 2013 7:43 AM

Sep 2012
I could be biased.
But Parting of the Boys was much more sad.
Then again, I played the actual game instead of watching the anime for it.
I'm still playing Clannad though~
Dec 14, 2013 6:12 AM

Aug 2008
You know to be quite honest I actually felt more impact from the Makoto Hill scene from Kanon then the Clannad scene.

I think it's because I knew Makoto longer though. Ushio was well handled with the 2 episodes she was first introduced though.
Dec 14, 2013 6:40 AM

Mar 2011
Refrain = Shock+Sadness
Clannad=Sadness (things are predictable).

You can't compare between those...
Dec 14, 2013 6:55 AM

Aug 2008
Well technically the clannad scene is both joy and sadness. Joy for Ushio and sadness for the remembrance of Nagisa.
Dec 16, 2013 10:17 PM
Dec 2012
In the VN LB>Clannad.
In the anime Clannad AS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>LB Refrain.

I felt they destroyed Masatos fairwell.The only one that had any impact on me was Kyosuke.
The only people who are going to say that the Refrain anime's fairwell was better the Clannad AS flower scene is either heavily influenced by the VN or is a Straight up LB fanboy.(could be a bit of both)
Dec 16, 2013 10:29 PM

Sep 2012
Well, if you try to think too logically at the Reminiscence scene in Clannad and wonder "Why is Ushio crying for her mother she never even got to see?", then it's easy to find it to be melodramatic, where I think Kyousuke breaking down for the first time in the entire series because he's about have everything taken away from him is a much more logical conclusion.

With that being said, I don't think there's enough substantial development in the LB anime to feel for Kyousuke as much as in the VN, Ushio is introduced for only an episode as well. LB and Clannad both recapped their own series, and the Reminiscence depends on how much you feel for Nagisa, but there could be people who really liked Masato, Kengo, OR Kyousuke, or any combination of them, and felt more because of that.

With Refrain's farewell approval being as high as it is, I think both of the climaxes are comparable for the anime, and it's not completely bizarre.

Now, if you're speaking to VN fans and asking which scene was better anime vs. anime, I'd say that the reminiscence was so expertly done and relatable, and that Kyousuke's impotence in the story as a whole, and lacking bro buildup, can make it a bit less.

In LB, you have to bring your own feelings to the table and realize that Riki and Kyousuke are about to lose EVERYTHING. If you concentrate that entire experience, even the anime's version, into those farewells, it's pretty depressing and well built up, and the emotions are deserved. Also, the heroine routes and the thought of losing the girls too could influence the impact of the scene, while Fuko and Kotomi's route really have little to do with memories of Nagisa.

But yeah, for me:
LB VN > Clannad
Anime C:AS > LB Refrain, especially in presentation. The lack of innovation in the screenplay held this back from being great as a VN player. I imagined all kinds of interpretations for Masato and Kengo's scenes, and they manage to make them weaker than the VN with their lack of ideas, when they could've EASILY been improved in at least presentation.
Dec 16, 2013 10:45 PM

Sep 2012
Vladz0r said:
Well, if you try to think too logically at the Reminiscence scene in Clannad and wonder "Why is Ushio crying for her mother she never even got to see?", then it's easy to find it to be melodramatic, where I think Kyousuke breaking down for the first time in the entire series because he's about have everything taken away from him is a much more logical conclusion.

With that being said, I don't think there's enough substantial development in the LB anime to feel for Kyousuke as much as in the VN, Ushio is introduced for only an episode as well. LB and Clannad both recapped their own series, and the Reminiscence depends on how much you feel for Nagisa, but there could be people who really liked Masato, Kengo, OR Kyousuke, or any combination of them, and felt more because of that.

With Refrain's farewell approval being as high as it is, I think both of the climaxes are comparable for the anime, and it's not completely bizarre.

Now, if you're speaking to VN fans and asking which scene was better anime vs. anime, I'd say that the reminiscence was so expertly done and relatable, and that Kyousuke's impotence in the story as a whole, and lacking bro buildup, can make it a bit less.

In LB, you have to bring your own feelings to the table and realize that Riki and Kyousuke are about to lose EVERYTHING. If you concentrate that entire experience, even the anime's version, into those farewells, it's pretty depressing and well built up, and the emotions are deserved. Also, the heroine routes and the thought of losing the girls too could influence the impact of the scene, while Fuko and Kotomi's route really have little to do with memories of Nagisa.

But yeah, for me:
LB VN > Clannad
Anime C:AS > LB Refrain, especially in presentation. The lack of innovation in the screenplay held this back from being great as a VN player. I imagined all kinds of interpretations for Masato and Kengo's scenes, and they manage to make them weaker than the VN with their lack of ideas, when they could've EASILY been improved in at least presentation.

Ushio wasn´t crying for her mother, she was crying because her father was crying too.

Anyway, both in VN and Anime format, I still find Clannad´s moments more emotional, the reason being that family stories hit me harder I guess. Thats not to say I don´t love LB, because I do, but I just think Clannad is better.
Dec 17, 2013 8:27 AM

Nov 2012
Exacly one year ago in December I started to watch clannad (my 2nd anime) and I must say that Refrain feels are almost the same as After Story feels.

For me both are 9/10 perfect~
Dec 17, 2013 7:00 PM

Sep 2012
In comparison to the anime.. Nagisa's death 3rd, Flower field 2nd, and Farewells 1st. (KYOUSUKE THOUGH)

I'm probably biased because I played the VN before the actual Refrain route aired (although I did watch the first 26 episodes blind).

Tbh Nagisa's death didn't make me tear up, but the flower field did, and Farewell almost got that one tear out. :3
Dec 17, 2013 7:11 PM

Feb 2012
if I were to add my favourite and emotional scenes from the other Key works, I would rank them as

Spoilers for Air, KANON, Rewrite and Angel Beats!
Dec 17, 2013 7:14 PM

Sep 2012
Lol'd, Chibimoth being that high up, wow.
Dec 17, 2013 7:15 PM

Feb 2012
^I've only done Kotori and Chihaya routes so far xD and pets are really important to me .w.
Dec 17, 2013 7:20 PM

Sep 2012
Ah, that makes sense. There ought to be at least a few more sad scenes in Rewrite, but it depends on your taste.
I can't remember if Sakuya's scene was sad or awesome, but it was memorable.
SAKUYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0L_SC0BdcSM
Dec 17, 2013 7:34 PM

Aug 2008
Sakuya god...that was truly amazing whatever you want to call it. I'd call it badass but also extremely sad too. It's possible for it to be both. Radiance and Scattered flowers playing for Sakuya was just perfect, I will murder if the anime adaption doesn't use those songs.

chibimoth killed me inside. Though I've grown up with more than 20 animals so that gives you a hint on how much of a pet person I am. Hell Kotori crying killed me inside. Funny how I probably like Sakuya more than Archer despite being heavily based on him. He's not as complex but he's more likable and charming.

I'm not sure Rewrite has any sadder scenes than that though. Not that I can think of. Has some shocking scenes in Terra though.
hyperknees91Dec 17, 2013 7:41 PM
Dec 17, 2013 7:45 PM

Feb 2012
Vladz0r said:
Ah, that makes sense. There ought to be at least a few more sad scenes in Rewrite, but it depends on your taste.
I can't remember if Sakuya's scene was sad or awesome, but it was memorable.
SAKUYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0L_SC0BdcSM

waah i forgot about that scene D: but Chibimoth still takes the cake so far~ humans dying, meh, animals dying, oh my god i can't take it ;w;
Dec 17, 2013 7:46 PM

Aug 2008
smilewolfy was not a fan of Komari's route then or a fan of the scene they left out of Rin's route.
Dec 17, 2013 7:49 PM

Feb 2012
hyperknees91 said:
smilewolfy was not a fan of Komari's route then or a fan of the scene they left out of Rin's route.

don't get me wrong, I like getting sad in media ;D well anything that can bring me emotions~
Dec 17, 2013 8:00 PM

Sep 2012
hyperknees91 said:

I'd argue that Chibimoth's was better than the dying cats. I don't think I teared up for any of the three, but I nearly did with Chibibro.
And damn, just realized how much other good stuff was cut from Rin's route. So much for life lessons / character development...
Dec 18, 2013 3:14 AM

Aug 2008
I was just saying he got the feels. Chibimoth is way sadder than any other animal scene I've seen in any VN of course (though grisaia has another one that makes you feel like crap).
Dec 18, 2013 3:25 AM

Sep 2012
hyperknees91 said:
I was just saying he got the feels. Chibimoth is way sadder than any other animal scene I've seen in any VN of course (though grisaia has another one that makes you feel like crap).

Oh god, that Grisaia =p
Not really spoilers but kinda: http://imgur.com/a/PSfC3
Dec 18, 2013 5:39 AM

Aug 2008
Yuuji has a way with women.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Little Busters!: Refrain Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 28, 2013

539 by CrazyButNot4U »»
May 16, 10:28 PM

Poll: » Little Busters!: Refrain Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Vladz0r - Dec 21, 2013

372 by CrazyButNot4U »»
May 16, 9:41 PM

Poll: » Little Busters!: Refrain Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 14, 2013

352 by CrazyButNot4U »»
May 16, 9:30 PM

Poll: » Little Busters!: Refrain Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 7, 2013

230 by CrazyButNot4U »»
May 16, 8:46 PM

Poll: » Little Busters!: Refrain Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 30, 2013

186 by CrazyButNot4U »»
May 16, 8:41 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.