Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jul 11, 2020 11:42 AM

Jul 2015
Gorochu said:
LOL! First episode and Leafa got tentacle rape. Look forward to see more action.

At this point I'm not even surprised that happened lol.
Jul 11, 2020 11:44 AM

Dec 2013
What a cancer.

Of course tentacle rape was a must. XD

Shitness of this show just reached new level. Unbelievable.
Jul 11, 2020 11:48 AM

Sep 2015
_MushiRock11_ said:

About that (near-) rape scene though, was it even necessary in all honesty? I'm not going to be jumping on the negative spectrum of this soon-to-evolve controversy though...

In this arc it has been used two times and for exactly the same, that the person can break the Taboo index and in this case also for the orc to make an alliance with Leafa against Vector.
Regarding the unnecessary, I do not care, showing so much blood is also unnecessary but I am not going to complain about that.
NayoutJul 11, 2020 11:52 AM
Jul 11, 2020 11:50 AM
Jul 2018
Welp. Add Leafa to the long list of girls who have been sexually assaulted unnecessarily in this show.
Jul 11, 2020 11:53 AM

Feb 2010
Ah yes... First episode and I can already hear western anime experts writing essays on how much they are offended. There is going to be another forced controversy soon...
Jul 11, 2020 11:53 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
JRyanC said:
I know things like the Leafa tentacle rape aren't exactly new to SAO, but goddamn we're only 1 episode in and we're already here

I hope Kawahara got this out of his system, and we can keep moving

God knows I'm not squeamish and don't mind content that others might find controversial. But I simply don't understand this show's insistence on "rapey" scenes. Why the heck in the context of that situation was it necessary to introduce tentacle molestation? Couldn't she have just beaten her up, stepped on her, "insert your punishment here"? has nothing to do with the rest of the story

Kirito's harem is close to going meta now, lol.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jul 11, 2020 11:54 AM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
Pretty good episode.

The OP and ED are good, even though to me they pale in comparison to last season's. Bercouli decking it out with Vecta was pretty cool for a few scenes and ofc we had to have another rape like scene courtesy of Dee Eye Ell trying to suck the life out of Leafa.

Seeing Klein at the end of the ep was pretty meh. The dude has literally been irrelevant throughout all of SAO so I can't say it was some sort of cool moment.

I'm very much looking forward to the next episode.
Jul 11, 2020 11:58 AM

Oct 2010
Paka-checker ruining the action scenes again. Almost pitch black in one of them. And as usual, Aniplex messing up the subs again because they apparently can't pay for an editor

At 21:00

"My won't give out until my mind does"

I swear there's a basic grammar issue in every 2 episodes I watch from them

Also yeah, wtf was the point of the tentacle rape? I'm not offended but just seems so pointless
KougeruJul 11, 2020 12:24 PM

Aug 2012
Oh c'mon, it's the first episode and they're already starting this perverted shit. Like i know where that last tentacle went...

Sep 2015
It ain't Sword Art Online without rape. Can't wait to see how A-1 Pictures will tackle the scene where
Jul 11, 2020 11:59 AM

Dec 2014
ReoNa OP is fire, damn!

Good restart to the season. Loving Sinon's Solus design, it's her best one. The Alicization character designs are all better than the ones from the previous games. Stacia Asuna, Solus Sinon, not sure who Leafa is supposed to be but her's is great too. Heck, even Klein's design was super cool.

Action sequences are great, production is top notch as it has always been. Bercoulli vs Vecta was very cool but Vecta is too OP.

FMmatron said:

On a different note, miss me with the waifu stuff. In other series I don't mind, but here it's just ultra cringe.

I can't explain it but I know exactly what you mean.
Jul 11, 2020 12:00 PM

Jun 2016
my mind blow when that scene leafa got raped by tentacles LOL
Jul 11, 2020 12:04 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Nayout said:
In this arc it has been used two times and for exactly the same, that the person can break the Taboo index and in this case also for the orc to make an alliance with Leafa against Vector.
Regarding the unnecessary, I do not care, showing so much blood is also unnecessary but I am not going to complain about that.

There are other ways of going about it, honestly. But well, I've heard there's going to possible one more so here's to hoping that'll play out differently.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jul 11, 2020 12:07 PM
Sep 2019
CatGirlCinnamon said:
i have a question ,why only 11 episodes ? will there be a part 3 or is part 2 an end? of season 3

There's no part 3 or season 3 this the end of alicization arc, but SAO still have more coming with a new arc as long as the LN still continue
Jul 11, 2020 12:07 PM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
Farabeuf said:
God knows I'm not squeamish and don't mind content that others might find controversial. But I simply don't understand this show's insistence on "rapey" scenes. .
Exactly this. Who is exactly the target audience for this? It really boggles my mind. What a turn off.
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
Jul 11, 2020 12:08 PM

Jul 2020
Klein Main Character Time
Jul 11, 2020 12:09 PM

Jan 2017
Ah yes, great combat scenes, some meh cgi fights in the background, amazing OST, friendship armor + power ups and a tentacle rape scene from start, yeap is a new season of Rape Art Online!
Jul 11, 2020 12:09 PM

May 2017
FuryTank said:
Why rape scenes again? Can't the author hide his fetish for a fucking arc?

Good grief... Yes,rape is disturbing content,but to me it's fine as long it's wasn't put for fanservice or something trivial like that. Reki Kawahara doesn't have fetish and he regrets using that content. Also,Leafa was only trapped for a moment,she wasn't ''raped''. She was only trapped by tentacles,she wasn't sexually abused. That evil woman removed her breastplate to tease Lilipin,not to ''rape'' her. If you are tired of ''rape'' scenes,that's fine,but just because you are tired of something doesn't mean it's a bad thing and it's does not give you right to badmouth author. There are many manga,light novels or anime that use rape to develop characters or give them strong features. For example,Goblin Slayer's goblins are made rapist monsters to make them terrifying and give goosebumps that gets certain readers excited or something like that. Sword Art Online's arcs like Fairy Dance and Phantom Bullet where were attempted rape scenes were made to develop characters because some characters develop in great ways from traumatic experiences or in losses of beloved ones or precious friends like Canute from Vinland Saga did after what happened to his guardian Ragnar. There wasn't much development in those arcs,for sure,but in Alicization,there was tons of development because Alicization arc have improved writings in story and characters. Rape scene where Ronnie and Tiese gets molested by corrupt nobles greatly developed Eugeo's character,giving him true sense of justice and making him realize that there are things that have to be done,even if they are forbidden by Taboo Index. That's only scene where character development was executed flawlessly. Reki Kawahara isn't great writer,but his writing improved a lot because he was learning from his mistakes. I'll say this once: Just because SAO have contents you can't stomach or flaws that you can't bear doesn't mean it's bad. It's anime series that you can love or hate,depending on your standards,expectations and tastes.
There is no bad waifu,only bad anime.
Jul 11, 2020 12:10 PM

Apr 2019
Farabeuf said:
JRyanC said:
I know things like the Leafa tentacle rape aren't exactly new to SAO, but goddamn we're only 1 episode in and we're already here

God knows I'm not squeamish and don't mind content that others might find controversial. But I simply don't understand this show's insistence on "rapey" scenes. Why the heck in the context of that situation was it necessary to introduce tentacle molestation? Couldn't she have just beaten her up, stepped on her, "insert your punishment here"? has nothing to do with the rest of the story

Reki Kawahara doesn't know how to keep his hands on the keyboard and off himself, sometimes. That's all there is to it. Yeah, it's also a lazy crutch in order to add shock and tension, but that's not his primary reason.

If anything, I'm just laughing at how we really started the season with "Welcome back to SAO, here's some tentacle rape. Sorry it took 6 months". Unplanned split cour or not, there has to have been a better way to set the tone for this season. I may be wrong, but I can't imagine this being make-or-break to the plot.
Jul 11, 2020 12:10 PM
Feb 2018
honestly this show is getting so dumb.

I actually am quite a big fan of SAO 1, 2, and early alisization but this new episode is honestly dumb.
How many tropes can you fit in one episode the anime kind of dumb.

I did like the pig dude, but other then that this just feels lame.
Jul 11, 2020 12:11 PM
Oct 2017
Farabeuf said:
JRyanC said:

At this point I think A1 is doing it to mess with Western audiences. LOL

Manga author Ken Akamatu (Love Hina) was invited to speak to the Japanese government; expressing his concerns of manga being “regulated by overseas standards,” while praising Japan’s “freedom of expression.”

https://nicchiban.nichegamer.com/2020/06/love-hina-author-expresses-concerns-to-japanese-government-of-manga-being-regulated-by-overseas-standards-praises-japans-freedom-of-expression/
Jul 11, 2020 12:12 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Tentacle rape scene for the first episode ? F*ck this shit.
Jul 11, 2020 12:13 PM

Nov 2010
ya_hallo said:
It ain't Sword Art Online without rape. Can't wait to see how A-1 Pictures will tackle the scene where

Jul 11, 2020 12:15 PM

May 2019
holy shit
this episode was min bowing for me what perfect adaptation but they kinda go overboard alittle bit in the Tentacle scene its was really that wild in the LN

bercouli vs vector HYPE

and finally the GOD klein is here

5/5
”A fight isn't won once a victor is decided, it's won when someone loses.” – Izayoi Sakamaki

I don’t even know the real names of the two… no, three that I killed back then. I just closed my eyes, put my hands over my ears and tried to forget it all.” – Kirito

MY ANIME LIST
Jul 11, 2020 12:15 PM

Sep 2015
Rinji- said:
ya_hallo said:

I read the original web novel so take it with a grain of salt as both the light novel and anime have it very toned down.
Jul 11, 2020 12:16 PM

Dec 2015
Good first episode. Some nice action. Liked how Leafa attacked the female general. And the Klein guy suddenly appearing. Music is same as always.

And a bit comedy with the pig (orc) guy and the tentacle scene. :D
Jul 11, 2020 12:22 PM
Nov 2019
Honestly I’m really excited and hyped after that first episode. Yeah people who hate on SAO will point out the Leifa scene but other then that honestly it was pretty good. Good op, animation, the ost calling back to season one is appreciated. Now I’m just curious to know how it will end with all of the people(AI) in alicization. Maybe ordinal scale will come into play who knows but looking forward to episode 2
Jul 11, 2020 12:22 PM

Nov 2010
ya_hallo said:
Rinji- said:

I read the original web novel so take it with a grain of salt as both the light novel and anime have it very toned down.

Jul 11, 2020 12:25 PM

Sep 2015
ya_hallo said:

????????
Jul 11, 2020 12:27 PM

Sep 2015
Nayout said:
ya_hallo said:

????????

There will be one more when Sinon goes to save Alice.
Jul 11, 2020 12:30 PM

Apr 2019
WaifuMaster17 said:
FuryTank said:
Why rape scenes again? Can't the author hide his fetish for a fucking arc?

Reki Kawahara doesn't have fetish and he regrets using that content. Also,Leafa was only trapped for a moment,she wasn't ''raped''. She was only trapped by tentacles,she wasn't sexually abused. That evil woman removed her breastplate to tease Lilipin,not to ''rape'' her.

"It's not rape if we don't see the tentacle go in"

(we held on this shot for 6 seconds, by the way)

Jul 11, 2020 12:30 PM

Sep 2015
ya_hallo said:
Nayout said:

????????

Jul 11, 2020 12:33 PM
Aug 2018
I was actually kinda hyped for this and for the most part it was good and I enjoyed it but the whole tentacle rape scene was just so hard to watch, and that isnt a credit to the creators for creating "tension" no its just disgusting. I usually try not to go SJW for these sorts of things but unlike some other times in this series this one felt so unnecessary and its really offputting. Other than that yes this was a good ep nice new op and ed and some great animation but please can we not with that.
Jul 11, 2020 12:34 PM

Nov 2016
Lelouch0202 said:
ReoNa OP is fire, damn!

Good restart to the season. Loving Sinon's Solus design, it's her best one. The Alicization character designs are all better than the ones from the previous games. Stacia Asuna, Solus Sinon, not sure who Leafa is supposed to be but her's is great too. Heck, even Klein's design was super cool.

Action sequences are great, production is top notch as it has always been. Bercoulli vs Vecta was very cool but Vecta is too OP.

FMmatron said:

On a different note, miss me with the waifu stuff. In other series I don't mind, but here it's just ultra cringe.

I can't explain it but I know exactly what you mean.

It's so blatant and artificial, it feels like it's mainly there to pander to fans/ trigger a reaction.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jul 11, 2020 12:38 PM

May 2017
JRyanC said:
WaifuMaster17 said:

Reki Kawahara doesn't have fetish and he regrets using that content. Also,Leafa was only trapped for a moment,she wasn't ''raped''. She was only trapped by tentacles,she wasn't sexually abused. That evil woman removed her breastplate to tease Lilipin,not to ''rape'' her.

In hentai manga or anime,tentacles normally go over women's erogenous zones to give them sensation and make them reach orgasm. Tentacles that trapped Leafa were not giving her sexual pleasure,they were sucking her life like bloodsucking leeches.
Jul 11, 2020 12:38 PM

Sep 2015
Nayout said:
ya_hallo said:

Which is why I quoted another user, Renji to take my comment with a grain of salt since I read the original web novel and a lot of things have been toned down.
Jul 11, 2020 12:40 PM

Oct 2012
Leafa: I need to endure. I can't kill anyone over here until I understand what's going on.
(Is tentacle raped)
Leafa: Okay, nevermind, now that I've done my part of being raped to appel to the audience, I'm gonna kill this woman.

Seriously. SAO never ceases to disgust me...
Jul 11, 2020 12:43 PM
Mar 2020
First the thing that makes the episodes hyped ,Reona and Sir totally nailed it ,that's some OP AND ED .
It might be just me but the maturity or should I say the face animation has become somewhat chubbier not like I'm complaining or doesn't like it just pointing it out to confirm whether someone else share the same sentiments.
Leafa(the author made her) depict some fan service so feel free to sympathize her.
That's all
Biribiri10Jul 11, 2020 12:46 PM
Jul 11, 2020 12:44 PM
Aug 2018
WaifuMaster17 said:
JRyanC said:

In hentai manga or anime,tentacles normally go over women's erogenous zones to give them sensation and make them reach orgasm. Tentacles that trapped Leafa were not giving her sexual pleasure,they were sucking her life like bloodsucking leeches.

Are you really trying to tell us this:
https://imgur.com/a/hXQlVUg
Pointing towards her followed by a sound effect, given we've already seen it go between her breasts, isn't insinuating at something? I know you've given every SAO season a 10 but dont try to tell us this isnt what we think it is.
Jul 11, 2020 12:44 PM

Oct 2019
Great episode. Amazing visual and songs. I want to see the rest of Bercoulli's fight!
Jul 11, 2020 12:48 PM

Sep 2019
The production value is bonkers as usual. It's actually even more impressive given that it was partially produced during or right before the outbreak. All that's cool, but . . .

THIS COULDN'T GO 11 MINUTES WITHOUT A SEXUAL ASSAULT SCENE FOR FANSERVICE. WHAT THE FUCK A-1?
Jul 11, 2020 12:48 PM

Nov 2011
ShoriTora said:
WaifuMaster17 said:

Pointing towards her followed by a sound effect, given we've already seen it go between her breasts, isn't insinuating at something? I know you've given every SAO season a 10 but dont try to tell us this isnt what we think it is.

A-1 Pictures clearly took a questionable choice here... The novel (read just a few months ago) does not go that far.
Jul 11, 2020 12:50 PM
Teto

Sep 2017
Why the Tentacles. Curse the tentacles. Everything was great upto now. My expectations for this season just dropped
Jul 11, 2020 12:52 PM

May 2017
ShoriTora said:
WaifuMaster17 said:

*sigh* Tentacles were sucking her life for every part of body expect her private parts. Tentacles on her tights were sucking her life ON HER TIGHTS,they weren't moving to her genitalia. How many times i have to explain? If this was rape scene,tentacles would to what they always do in hentai manga and anime,but they don't. Take a hike.

Apr 2019
WaifuMaster17 said:
JRyanC said:

So having something painfully forced into your genitals isn't rape, as long as you don't feel sexual pleasure?

This is such an odd hill to die on. You spent your first post arguing that Kawahara regrets using rape, then despite that, go on to give examples of rape being used to develop characters. You move onto a vague "Kawahara is learning from his mistakes", then end by saying "just because you can't stomach rape doesn't mean SAO is bad"

Like dude, just admit that Kawahara wrote a rape scene that didn't further the plot and get over it. If your most convincing argument is "she didn't moan like a hentai girl, so it isn't rape", then you might be denying reality. Not everyone that dislikes Kawahara using rape as a lazy plot device is "unable to stomach it" like you seem to believe. Some people just know bad writing when they see it.

(EDIT after reading the posts between my last refresh and now)

So you really seem to believe my joke that "It's not rape if we don't see the tentacle go in". I thought I was being unfair, but I was on the mark. I've made my point, no further questions your honor.
JRyanCJul 11, 2020 12:56 PM
Jul 2016
The animation and ost is pretty good, Klein can finally shine in the next episode (Hopefully)
Jul 11, 2020 12:54 PM

Sep 2019
Rinji- said:
ya_hallo said:

Jul 11, 2020 12:58 PM

Nov 2011
JRyanC said:
Like dude, just admit that Kawahara wrote a rape scene that didn't further the plot and get over it.

He did not. A-1 Pictures did. I re-read the passage of the novel just to be sure and the most explicit he wrote was about the mage's fingers/tentacles wrapping around her body and stabbing into her flesh. I am almost quoting it.
Jul 11, 2020 12:59 PM

Jun 2017
Mixed opinion about this episode. The tentacle scene was made unnecessarily over the top. I don't remember it that way in the LN. It was focused about Leafa and Lilipilin's monologues there. Lilipilin's back story was skipped in the last cour and that hurt this scene a bit. This would make anime only watchers feel that the whole thing was pointless.

Bercouli and Vector's fight was great. His sword incarnation was animated well. Easily the best part of the episode for me. I think that it would have been better to include the whole fight in one episode. Splitting it between episodes is going make it look short. Let's see where it goes from here.
Jul 11, 2020 1:01 PM

Nov 2010
Kyragos said:
JRyanC said:
Like dude, just admit that Kawahara wrote a rape scene that didn't further the plot and get over it.

He did not. A-1 Pictures did. I re-read the passage of the novel just to be sure and the most explicit he wrote was about the mage's fingers/tentacles wrapping around her body and stabbing into her flesh. I am almost quoting it.

Alright, so seems like it's just the studio that wanted to spice things up.
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld 2nd Season Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Syureria - Aug 15, 2020

303 by Remiadha »»
Jun 1, 5:42 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld 2nd Season Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kaiseki - Aug 8, 2020

210 by Remiadha »»
Jun 1, 5:20 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld 2nd Season Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 18, 2020

222 by Remiadha »»
Jun 1, 4:06 AM

Poll: » Best SAO girl?

Kazu-chan-san - Mar 20, 2023

15 by ItsAziz »»
Apr 7, 4:06 AM

» Question about Alice

quietkun27 - Mar 24

15 by Superninjaboy2 »»
Mar 25, 1:04 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.