Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Nov 10, 2018 4:14 AM

Jul 2016
This show just gets better and better.

Ash is a bad ass and Blanca made him look silly.

Nov 10, 2018 6:23 AM

Mar 2009
MetaKite said:
windeen-windy said:
@MetaKite:

Could you please send me one, as well? I'm sorry to bother you. I read the manga, but didn't think much about him getting sick from getting shot. I mean, that's a major shock to the body. Yeah, he was grazed, and it didn't go IN to his body. But it's still a shock to the body, especially when you're not used to getting shot. Also, there is lead poisoning to consider, as well.
So I was wondering what there was to theorize about. I hope you don't mind sending me the link, as well. And no need to rush, just whenever you have the time, is fine.
I see what you are saying but this is not about Eiji getting sick but Ash having low blood pressure. As far as Eiji's gunshot goes, I agree it's what you think. It's why Ash tells Eiji that he didn't get sick because he's used to that (getting shot). It has to sink in a little that Ash is so used to getting gunshot wounds, they don't bother him.

Clemance said:
Ash knows how to love anyone but himself…and that’s one of the most 'tragic truths' of this story.
Because he never saw value in himself and he’d rather give his life to someone he knows is worth saving. He would destroy himself in hope of keeping someone alive.
This is what Yut lung is continuously frustrated about. A person like him is willing to give up everything for Eiji.

Ash has massive self-loathing and abandonment issues that have made Eiji everything to him.

Ah, got it.
Why would there be theories about his BP, though? Its not unheard of.
I mean I'm not THAT bad in the mornings.... But my BP drops so low at times that I faint because my heart stops a few beats.
So, I get the BP thing, I think.
I just figured that he took something to calm down when he got home after what went down with Kippard, and it made his BP go lower than it already is.

Anyway, thanks!
Nov 10, 2018 10:16 AM
Oct 2007
I'm feeling slightly uncomfortable to see Ash not putting up a fight when he usually will but at the same time, I think I can understand the feeling of not being able to as Blanca is really on another level.

Actually it feels weird that Golzine was pointing out that's the difference between a Pro and Amatuer, yet the whole time Ash was actually on another level in the series. The jump is a bit too unrealistic for me.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 10, 2018 10:30 AM

May 2018
jesus, that just wow
the ending really upset me, the idea that ash would throw everything away just for Eijis safety... it shows how much he truly does love him
I got tearful twice, when ash went to shoot himself and when he got taken away at the ending. also them talking about how they plan to go to japan made me so shocked

as a anime only, im super nervous, with people who have read the manga being worried about time. I really hope that the ending isnt rushed, that the ending is satisfactory and that it makes sense. if worst comes to worst,,, season 2? Idk I just really hope its okay. but anyways, I am planning to read the manga once this has finished airing.
Nov 10, 2018 10:44 AM

Aug 2018
luccide said:

I'm feeling slightly uncomfortable to see Ash not putting up a fight when he usually will but at the same time, I think I can understand the feeling of not being able to as Blanca is really on another level.

Actually it feels weird that Golzine was pointing out that's the difference between a Pro and Amatuer, yet the whole time Ash was actually on another level in the series. The jump is a bit too unrealistic for me.

There's also the looming danger of Eiji getting killed if Ash tries to fight back. While Ash does feel like he cannot compare to Blanca, more importantly, he does not want to risk Eiji's life. That's how important Eiji is to him.

The quote about amateurs and professionals is actually expanded upon the manga and probably cut for time constraints. Dino elaborated that Ash can probably match even third or second-rate professionals. But Blanca is a top-class professional.

Seijatachiiii said:

as a anime only, im super nervous, with people who have read the manga being worried about time. I really hope that the ending isnt rushed, that the ending is satisfactory and that it makes sense. if worst comes to worst,,, season 2? Idk I just really hope its okay. but anyways, I am planning to read the manga once this has finished airing.

There's not going to be a season 2. There's not enough material to make another season. I think it can fit but I really do want them to cut some material out so it's not rushed. There's also a possibility that they will adapt the epilogue as an OVA instead of having it in the main story to conserve time.
Nov 10, 2018 9:12 PM

Oct 2013
I really wish he didn’t hand over the details pertaining Banana Fish... or at least it’ll show how Max had it already backed up.
Nov 11, 2018 2:37 AM

Jun 2013
Ash was willing to shoot himself in the head, he did but he had an unloaded gun. Yut Lung weave was snatched. Don't understand why he's so amped up and angry about Ash sacrificing himself for Eiji.

Blanca still cares for Eiji but it would've been nice to see more of his background. I'm slowly catching up in the manga, I'm still at the post-Shorter death scene after they escaped and burned down Golzine's mansion.

Damn, Ash has to return to his life as a prostitute. I'm sure something will happen, someone or his gang will save him or he'll save himself.
臭い-
Nov 11, 2018 6:48 AM
Jul 2018
I found myself tearing up at this episode tbh I loved it.
Nov 11, 2018 9:55 AM
Nov 2017
omg the end was so sad T-T
Nov 11, 2018 10:51 AM

Aug 2018
Bibimbapski said:
Ash was willing to shoot himself in the head, he did but he had an unloaded gun. Yut Lung weave was snatched. Don't understand why he's so amped up and angry about Ash sacrificing himself for Eiji.

Blanca still cares for Eiji but it would've been nice to see more of his background. I'm slowly catching up in the manga, I'm still at the post-Shorter death scene after they escaped and burned down Golzine's mansion.

Yut-Lung is angry about Ash sacrificing himself for Eiji because all this time, he believed that he and Ash were the same. They are very similar in a lot of ways but Ash has something that Yut-Lung doesn't - a genuine bond between another person. Yut-Lung is definitely jealous that Ash, despite them being so similar, is able to find happiness and love while Yut-Lung is still running purely on hatred. He expresses this envy (as well as his complete lack of understanding of Ash) through anger in that scene.

There's a side story titled Private Opinion that goes into more detail on the background between Blanca and Ash. It will probably become a drama CD just like the side story Angel Eyes but in case you were interested, you can read it now as it does not spoil any events to come (though I do think the vast majority of people who read it do so after finishing the main series).
Nov 12, 2018 1:18 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Damn, this was an intense episode!

Ash fully determined to shoot himself and then committed to go back to his old torturous life just for the sake of Eiji was heartrending to see. Eiji getting shot like that was seriously shocking, Blanco really is formidable and the way he just took care of Ash really gave off a professional vibe. It looks like Ash has brought all the information regarding Banana Fish and the sort to them too, so now it’ll be interesting to see how Ash’s side fights back to this unprecedented development.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Nov 12, 2018 9:14 AM

Dec 2016
Like I know Ash has nearly almost died a lot throughout the entire show, but him asking to see Japan when it's all over may be the most obvious of death flags. I really fucking hope that doesn't actually happen though
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Nov 13, 2018 9:49 AM

Oct 2012
Ash didn't hesitate for a second to pull the trigger. He and Eiji deserved such a happy ending... But I don't feel it will come.

MetaKite said:

there's a fan theory I really believe on why he was sick. Would recommend looking it up after series is done airing if you haven't read the manga.

Can you send it to me as well? I'm gonna wait for the anime to end so I can check it since I'm an anime watcher only, but I don't wanna forget about it bc it made me curious
Nov 13, 2018 8:16 PM

Feb 2015
Ash looks very tired and Eiji tries to take him out of the bed. Ash realizes that Kippard's murder was executed by a professional, could be Blanca (for him). There's also an accident in the city, where someone called Thomas Holstock died. Blanca talks with Golzine and Yut-Lung about Ash's movements and goes on with an attempt of scare Ash after a shooting to Eiji. Ash finally accepts to have a meeting with them where they ask him for the information researched about banana fish and the professor Dawson, if not, Eiji will be murdered. Ash also had a fight with Blanca, which totally lost. He got the information and the professor, just to keep Eiji safe and now he's prepared to go back with Golzine.

Interesting episode, but too long. For me, this anime is losing the pace that made it good at the beginning. Somehow the episodes are becoming slower but that is not helping in other areas that are commonly developed in this cases, like characters (which could be better in this case). Maybe the anime is getting longer than it should. I haven't read the manga, so, I don't know how heavy the story could get in the future, or there are more plot to be solved. It's getting repetitive.
Atlas77Jan 1, 2019 8:22 PM
Nov 14, 2018 3:23 AM

Mar 2012
MaahHeim said:
Can you send it to me as well? I'm gonna wait for the anime to end so I can check it since I'm an anime watcher only, but I don't wanna forget about it bc it made me curious
I'll PM you later then.

Fue said:
I feel bad for Yut Lung LOL he seems kinda lonely and probably wanted Ash as a friend

anyway... nooooo ashhhhh don't ruin your life XD
Yut Lung is definitely my most hated character in this series. I hate him more than Golzine.

Atlas77 said:
Interesting episode, but too long. For me, this anime is losing the pace that made it good at the beginning. Somehow the episodes are becoming slower but that is not helping in other areas that are commonly developed in this cases, like characters (which could be better in this case). Maybe the anime is getting longer than it should.I haven't read the manga, so, I don't know how heavy the story could get in the future, or there are more plot to be solved. It's getting repetitive.
Atlas, I can't wait to see you get traumatized by the next episode. You and other whiney posters like you.
MetaKiteNov 14, 2018 3:28 AM
Nov 14, 2018 4:09 PM

Oct 2012
MetaKite said:
] I'll PM you later then.

Ok, thanks!
(I also hate Yut Lung, ugh)
Nov 14, 2018 10:47 PM

Mar 2012
Fue said:
o wow is it because of something he does later? (no spoiler pls XD) i notice a lot of ppl hate him on discussion boards

he's actually my favorite character XD (ash is either tied with him or 2nd atm)
I think I kind of see where yut lung is coming from
Yeah because of something he eventually causes and it's actually HIS fault for manipulating the people involved.
Nov 14, 2018 10:52 PM

Mar 2012
MaahHeim said:
MetaKite said:
] I'll PM you later then.

Ok, thanks!
Change your settings so I can PM you.
Nov 15, 2018 5:44 AM
Nov 2017
Felt like this episode was hasty compared to the manga chapter. But I suppose we we did get the most important things to see in the episode.
Nov 16, 2018 12:17 AM

Dec 2015
So, the series suddenly wants me to see a deep bond/link between the two main characters? I found all of this very cute, but it never seemed "logical" in the way the story depicted it (or rather didn't depict it). Maybe a "bad" attempt in trying to show a naturally developing relationship?

4/5 How nice of a 2018 TV show to mention Gremlins !

@Yorkshire_Megan Sold, I guess. ^^ (I like stories where those things happen without taking the spotlight but I just thought it very light in this case)
Rei_IIINov 16, 2018 10:21 AM
Nov 16, 2018 5:06 AM

Nov 2016
Rei366 said:
So, the series suddenly wants me to see a deep bond/link between the two main characters?

Well, the story has been building up the bond between Ash and Eiji since near the beginning.

In ep 2 you could see Ash saw something in Eiji - he "knew how to fly". In ep 5 Ash let Eiji stay with him on his request, and then in ep 7 Eiji became very upset when he was told he'd have to return to Japan soon and be separated from Eiji.

Then in ep 10, we see that Ash associates Eiji with his brother Griffith - basically, unconditional love - and during the escape from the mansion he tells Eiji to stay by his side - the reverse of before. In ep 11 and 12 you had tones of scenes developing their relationship, especially the part in 11 where Ash opens up about his past and Eiji comforts him. In eps 13-16 they were separated, but were constantly thinking about eachother and trying to find eachother. Now in ep 18 they've been living together again for a while and have had more chances to bond - thus Ash saying he's finally happy now he's with Eiji.

And those are just the most important milestones, there's plenty of smaller moments. Ofcourse with it not being a primarily romance anime, they don't show every development in their relationship, but they've definitely shown a lot and slowly developed things over the course of the story.
Nov 18, 2018 7:34 AM

Oct 2012
MetaKite said:
MaahHeim said:

Ok, thanks!
Change your settings so I can PM you.

Alright. Just did it
Nov 27, 2018 9:31 AM

Mar 2012
MetaKite said:
For manga readers only. Anime only viewers, read at your own risk.
I was very close in my prediction.

Nov 27, 2018 9:39 AM

Aug 2018
MetaKite said:
Interesting detail missing from the anime that is in the manga is Ibe and Eiji mentioning they have been in the US for a year now. They also cut Blanca throwing a knife right into a pic of Eiji before the actual shooting.

Solid adaptation but I am REALLY worried about time constraints now. If they are planning on keeping the person missing from the opening, then things will really be rushed from here. I think the following episodes will broken down to. For manga readers only. Anime only viewers, read at your own risk.

Thorf said:
of course he got sick... typical anime, lol

I wish I could joke about this but there's a fan theory I really believe on why he was sick. Would recommend looking it up after series is done airing if you haven't read the manga.

Please could you PM the link of this fan theory?

Favourite part of this episode was Ash suggesting to Eiji to improve his English with sesame street, I love Yuma Uchida's tone in this particular line and during his everyday conversations with Eiji. However, a little sad that they wrote off Blanca's
Dec 12, 2018 8:21 PM

Jul 2016
I feel bad for Ash, he's against the ropes now, willing to accept the worst punishment just for Eiji's sake. Not to mention that the scene where he pulled the trigger, accepting Lee's terms was very intense. It totally took me off guard, being honest.

The moments both Ash and Eiji shared were really nice. Their relationship feels more natural with every episode it passes.

Overall, I liked this episode. I wonder what Ash will do now but I have a feeling that Blanca might help him somehow but well, we'll see if such thing happen.
Dec 13, 2018 7:28 PM

Mar 2012
For the first time I feel bad for Ash. So far he simply annoyed me by being a genius no one could take down.

I really liked Blanca, hope he still has a part to play in the remaining episodes.
Dec 23, 2018 10:19 AM

Oct 2017
I loved Ash and Eiji’s morning routine lol Ash is like me when I need to wake up.

Now Eiji is being targeted by Blanca. Ash knows Blanca as his mentor so he knows how serious the situation is.

I like how shook Yut-Lung was when Ash put that gun against his head and pulled the trigger. At least the gun wasn’t loaded. It also shows just how little Ash cares about himself which is really sad.

Ash is told to hand over everything he knows about banana fish as well as hand over Dr. Dawson, and give himself to Dino. If he does all that, then Eiji will be safe.

Ash does everything he is told, which I hate because Dino doesn’t deserve the satisfaction of having Ash back in the palm of his hand.
Jan 15, 2019 7:02 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
elenaeteresa said:
the relationship between Ash and Eiji is very amazing. this is an other great episode. Eiji caught a flu and it's so nice that Ash take to care of him. best moments
we looking forward to see the next episode

It is kinda cringy to watch 2 man going at it like this for me though, if they were family ok, but there is clearly romantic feelings going on, and IMO they are not able to execute this in a way that doesnt cause some disconfort to males.
This was honestly too cringy too watch, thank god it quick, cuz I overall enjoy everything else this series and this episode had to give.
Jan 15, 2019 7:17 AM
Nov 2015

It is kinda cringy to watch 2 man going at it like this for me though, if they were family ok, but there is clearly romantic feelings going on, and IMO they are not able to execute this in a way that doesnt cause some disconfort to males.
This was honestly too cringy too watch, thank god it quick, cuz I overall enjoy everything else this series and this episode had to give.

the whole story is amazing. the scenes is very amazing. especially, the scene of action
Jan 19, 2019 8:02 AM
EOussama

Dec 2016
The moment when Ash pulled the trigger on himself with no hesitation did it for me, and just after then, he explained how Eiji, somebody that cares about him and wants nothing in return makes him happy, that alone was another highlighter on how much hardships he had to pull through alone all of those years.
I'm also more happy that Max agreed to hand over all the knowledge they managed to gather on Banana Fish because he knew how important Eiji was to Ash, real friends are the ones who need no explanation from you when you barge in asking for something.
Blanca is a quite interesting fella, his mentality is extremely not what I was expecting. I totally pinned him on the same board like every other evil last moment resort mentor that just want to earn an extra buck for turning their back on an old pupil, but no. It would have been even better if he offered help in combat though, still hoping for something similar.
Jun 1, 2019 6:00 PM

Oct 2010
Wow. The gun scene had me as shook as Yut Lung. It's one of those moments this show surprised me and made me understand the characters much better. "Death is easier..." and he walked the talk. What a quote also when he said there is nothing happier than have someone care about you asking nothing in return. I feel terrible for Ash at how much he has been yearning for it.

I don't know how he is going to be free from Dino now. I don't know should Yut Lung or Blanca comes to aid, or even Sing. I don't know whether Ash will have the drive to fight anymore now that Eiji's definitely going to be compromised.

Ah I'm in despair. Ash and Eiji are my babies now but things are seemingly getting worse than otherwise.

But I need to point out the morning routine part as well. Ash not remembering eating his own salad is a reality a person I know suffers through lol.
Sep 1, 2019 11:24 AM

Aug 2007
Ash reaching for the gun to shoot himself without hesitation... Their bond is incredible. I'm so glad Ash found someone who cares for him so much, but he understands too well the danger he puts Eiji through...

Sep 19, 2019 4:55 AM

Mar 2015
Poor Ash, nothing ever goes his way!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Nov 9, 2019 1:00 AM

May 2010
Parts with Ash and Eiji just being together are the only ones I'm interested in, honestly :x But yeah, sure, leave him alone without a word AGAIN.
Jun 26, 2020 5:47 PM
Jan 2019
saddest episode , right after the one where Shorter died
Ash really would do anything for Eiji jfvhdfjh
Nov 23, 2020 3:34 AM

Jul 2020
I don't even know whats happening anymore but they done got Ash again bro
Nov 27, 2020 5:06 PM
May 2019
Wow... this series is so powerful. I can feel Ash's pain of being totally betrayed by the return of the one that seemed friendly to him while at Golzine's house. Blanca I hate you so much.

Beside, I don't unterstand why the journalists didn't make any copy of Banana Fish's research.
Dec 15, 2020 2:40 PM
Aug 2020
Ash will never have a decent life and that what really hurts the most ;___;
Jan 14, 2021 8:12 PM
Oct 2019
These comedic and slice of life scenes in recent episodes are just bad. They completely kill the flow of the show. It's like I'm not even watching the same show. This is nothing like when Skip, Shorter, and Jennifer were all killed. Sadly, I was right when I commented after Yut Lung's first appearance that the show felt like it was taking a completely different turn. A turn I feared would be for the worse.

At least this episode ended on an interesting note: Blanca v Ash, Ash agreeing to give himself up to save Eiji, etc. But I won't lie, the sequence between that warehouse meeting at the pier meeting was a bit difficult to follow. I understand what happened, but the way it was presented was kind of confusing.
Apr 11, 2021 12:57 AM

Jan 2021
The madness of falling in love, Ash, indeed.

Actually I legit challenge anyone to watch this episode and not think Ash and Eiji are very in love. Especially the part where Ash talks about why he won’t go back to his past life - he has someone who cares about him now, and it being “the happiest feeling in the world”...Man, can you tell they’re just friends? And then the parallels of Ash and then Eiji praying for each other's safety...

Also, just compare Ash's face when he was about to fire the gun, moments before his potential death, to how hurt he looks when talking to Blanca about just the possibility of Eiji getting hurt. Like I was saying last week, Ash might not say it but his actions and reactions clearly show what his feelings are.

Ash, did you mean to say husband?

So their relationship is actually at a point where Eiji is confident enough to ask Ash to come to Japan with him (and by implication, live with him) - and while Ash doesn’t say so then, after the Eiji ordeal he says to Ibe he’s pretty set on the idea. Eiji's voice and the way he looked at Ash during that scene was just so soft, even without saying it directly you can tell what his feelings are...

As for the rest… Yeah, that was goddamn intense and brought back a lot of bad thoughts and memories about the abuse Ash’s suffered… but he’s also changed a lot now and gained a sense of self-worth since his relationship began with Eiji. Shoutout to the new music tracks this week too, really added to the emotional resonance. Also, someone please screenshot Blanca and Yut Lung, both looked damn fine.
CalmTeaTimeJan 9, 2022 10:11 AM
May 25, 2021 6:53 AM

Jun 2020
I’m a sobbing mess. I cried when they were talking about going to Japan & Eiji’s hometown, and how Japan has many gods, and Eiji prayed for him to be safe. (;´༎ຶٹ༎ຶ`)(;´༎ຶٹ༎ຶ`)(;´༎ຶٹ༎ຶ`)(;´༎ຶٹ༎ຶ`)(;´༎ຶٹ༎ຶ`)(;´༎ຶٹ༎ຶ`)

Ash would kill himself in a heartbeat for Eiji’s sake. He would do anything. Even Max knew Ash had his reasons when he would give all the info on Banana Fish up just like that, even when it was so important to him.

but i’ll probably remember over and over again
you were there and everyone else was there
— the day we all searched for just one thing

Jul 23, 2021 12:22 AM

Jun 2019
So much feels in this episode. I kinda feel bad for Eiji for keeping him out of the loop (the way he ran out of the condominium was too much ;____;) but I kinda understand Ash reasoning but still!!!! I didn't read the manga so I'm kinda excited and sad for the remaining episode even though I know what will happen to Ash at the end.
Aug 16, 2021 7:24 PM
Feb 2020
well, that was quick
Dec 18, 2021 9:52 AM
Nov 2020
Leave Ash alone he has suffered enough
Nov 18, 2022 9:28 PM
Oct 2019
Wow i knew it Blanca was Ash mentor.
Damn this guy is a professional level.

It's sad seeing Ash so powerless.
Everything to protect Eiji.
Feb 10, 2023 7:25 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Damn. Ash really just took the gun and pulled the trigger on himself with no hesitation. 

You know, Eiji could've easily been cheaply written as a damsel in distress, someone for Ash to protect, to give Ash real meaning and purpose other than being a killing machine. 

But Eiji is something a little more than just that, as Ash makes it clear once again in this episode. Since his parents, Eiji was probably the first person to truly care for him, and want nothing in return.

And so on his conquest to avenge his brother, to end banana fish and all those involved, Ash lets it all go for the sake of one person, and returns to a life that just doesn't let him go. 
BetaMaleUltraFeb 10, 2023 7:29 AM

NYANPASU
5700XT

Feb 26, 2023 8:42 AM

Dec 2020
Wow Ash showed no hesitation. 

Blanca completed his job. Though I hope he is still a part of the story.
Sep 6, 2023 7:16 AM
Jul 2018
blanca got them baki character skills
Nov 26, 2023 12:21 PM
Nov 2023
precisa ficar mto imerso pra ligar
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Banana Fish Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 20, 2018

351 by OTN_Bimmer »»
Yesterday, 8:45 AM

Poll: » Banana Fish Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 4, 2018

120 by kakyoin »»
Jun 7, 4:59 AM

Poll: » Banana Fish Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 16, 2018

88 by kakyoin »»
May 10, 4:11 AM

Poll: » Banana Fish Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

TheFreycook - Aug 8, 2018

67 by bubba460z »»
May 5, 4:10 PM

» Any differences?

Mangahater - Apr 27

10 by MickeyMinaj »»
Apr 29, 2:09 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.