Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 19, 2018 7:54 AM

Jul 2016
I feel like this episode went by super fast - didn't really have much time to process everything that was happening.

Sucks to be in Shorter's position though, maybe they'll be some change now though given that emotional speech he did?
Aug 19, 2018 8:59 AM

Aug 2018
Bibimbapski said:

I am a hundred percent certain that lots of awful things are going to happen next week because people who have read the manga can't shut the fuck up about it on reddit, youtube and MAL.

People are jumping the gun on this. Bad things will happen pretty much every episode, but I'm pretty sure the content the manga readers are talking about is going to happen in episode 9, not in next week's episode.

eWEQRW123123 said:
That part about hacking made me cringe hard. A few points. Ash is not someone who would have hacking software. Brute forcing a password takes forever. A GPU would not speed up decryption.

MAPPA has been doing a pretty good job with the anime original material... until now. They have the right idea, but the attention to detail is lacking. Ash would not have hacking software on his person, but he sure could have made it himself there. All they needed to do was clarify what had happened a bit more. I believe a better GPU would have sped up the password cracking, but not decryption. MAPPA mixed the lines up. Almost all the anime original content have some sort of consistency issue this episode. Even small things like Yut Lung changing clothing several times in one scene is slipping past their eyes. MAPPA please.
Aug 19, 2018 6:09 PM
Aug 2018
Lunallae said:

but he sure could have made it himself there.

Someone who has never been to high school? He manages a small gang. I see very little reason for him to know much about computers.
People with low average anime scores don't have high standards. They are just bad at choosing good anime to watch.
Aug 19, 2018 6:51 PM

Aug 2018
eWEQRW123123 said:
Lunallae said:

but he sure could have made it himself there.

Someone who has never been to high school? He manages a small gang. I see very little reason for him to know much about computers.

There is a canonical explanation for this that we haven't quite reached yet:
Aug 21, 2018 4:49 AM

Jul 2016
Another good episode.

This anime continues to surprise me with its excellent pacing. Never seems to rush anything but never drags either.
Aug 21, 2018 6:16 AM

Aug 2016
Vindicater said:
Another good episode.

This anime continues to surprise me with its excellent pacing. Never seems to rush anything but never drags either.

Exactly! The pacing is captivating. Consider this, manga-readers: maybe the manga was just SLOW? Okay... probably not, but where there really any important details or characterisation that got cut? It feels like the anime is striking the right balance to me.
Aug 21, 2018 8:30 AM

Nov 2016
Sanic_de_Hegehog said:
Exactly! The pacing is captivating. Consider this, manga-readers: maybe the manga was just SLOW? Okay... probably not, but where there really any important details or characterisation that got cut? It feels like the anime is striking the right balance to me.

Agree completely. I've been reading the manga after each episode, and honestly there seems little of importance getting cut. Some recap of prior info, some background detail / explanations, some comedic moments like the chicken hunt which was cut completely out of ep 6. I could be wrong but it doesn't seem like properly important stuff is getting cut out. It seems to be a pretty smart adaptation.

I don't know how common an opinion this is, but a lot of the time the pacing in anime feels kinda slow to me. I like that Banana Fish has a lot of things going on in each episode, the events already could make for a 1-cour show or more. There's a lot to chew on after each episode and so far I haven't felt bored or dissatisfied at any point, even with a slower ep like 4.

The visual storytelling has been improved a lot in many scenes too imo, especially with anything AshEiji, which is getting quite a bit more emphasis compared to the manga (will be interesting to see how that trend continues). Aside from explaining some things better, the one thing I'd give to the manga so far is the character of Ash. He's just better designed / drawn and cooler in the manga. A bit harder to like though, I think they softened Ash up a bit to appeal to modern audiences. Otoh, anime Eiji -> manga Eiji imo.

Aug 21, 2018 2:08 PM

Dec 2016
That scene near the end was pretty much a breakup scene lol
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Aug 22, 2018 11:15 PM
Dec 2015
ugh.... new episode comes out tomorrow... I've read the manga so i'm NOT looking forward to it....
Aug 22, 2018 11:17 PM
Dec 2015
anyway. sometimes i think about how ash never really went to school.. it makes me sad.. even if school sucks I'm sad that he never gets to be a kid ๐Ÿ˜ข he's only 17 ๐Ÿ˜ข ash lynx i love u ๐Ÿ˜ข
Aug 27, 2018 5:29 AM
Puddi Queen

Oct 2009
elany said:

This is a really interesting take. Since I knew from the very beginning that they have to rush if they want to adapt the entire manga I never stopped to think if it might have a positive effect on the anime.
And now that you mention it, yes, the episodes do feel rushed in a sense, but I can't honestly say I'm too bothered by it - to the point that ep6 felt more off than any before.
Like you said, it keeps both the characters and me on my toes.

It is the rare pro of not having read the manga of the anime you're watching, haha! To me the pacing makes it feel like the characters are getting desperate to catch their breath and aren't allowed to do so. It works for this genre, but I admit there are other anime examples that are less fortunate.
Sep 1, 2018 5:52 AM
Feb 2013
There was a lot of dialogue in this episode, I haven't read the manga but the direction in this episode alone felt... off. There was a lot of weird and awkward cuts that was too jarring especially with all the dialogue getting pushed through. Some of the angles in some scenes (the one where ash was talking to eiji) didnt make much sense nor did it give me the proper mood- the idea was there but the execution wasn't the best.

The quality is lowering, not that I blame them, considering how each episode is set in a different place and most need detailed backgrounds. Also, the body language was kinda awkward imo- hopefully the next one isn't as... awkward... I know I'm being nit picky about this but as I was watching this episode felt that it could have been done better; and I'm not even talking about animation wise.

Plot-wise, I'm pretty intrigued and liking all the characters so far and their modern designs. Liking all the character/relationship development that I'm seeing. I'm trying so hard not to cave in and just read the manga, lord knows how hard it is to find an interesting anime that I haven't read the original source material before.
pop_rocks_kissSep 1, 2018 5:56 AM
Sep 11, 2018 8:19 AM

Dec 2014
things go grim to grimmer…. In this show…I don’t know whether Dino will ge captured or not
Sep 14, 2018 2:25 AM

Aug 2017
Max's family is in danger.

Shorter being forced to betray Ash is an interesting move made by the show. Yue-Lung is dangerous.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Dec 4, 2018 3:17 PM

Jul 2016
So much chinese names in this episode, I was a bit confused, being honest. But that aside, I liked this episode. Although I don't really know how an old lady would let a bunch of completely strangers get into her house and stay there but well, that's just me.

Shorter is in a really difficult position right now. Based on the OP, I thought he would betray Ash and co. by himself but intead of that, he's being controlled to do that. I'm really interesting in knowing what he will do to overcome this. The scene where he cried because the trust he had for the Lee clan was broken was quite powerful.

And shit at that last scene... I was afraid something like that would happen. It gave me some 91Days flashbacks, being honest. I just hope Jessica and her son can make it out of that situation unharmed.
Dec 11, 2018 4:49 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Enjoyed the episode but I m not confortable to whatever is going in between the 2 main leads, it is not yaoi, but it is just a bit too much for me, the way they execute the scenes, there seems to be romantic feelings pairing in the air.
I dont dig this kind of atmoshpere at all, seems like a yaoi romance/drama in full bloom.

You need to send that dude way, ok tell him straight, which is what Ash did, but then see how did Eiji reacted!
Like a fucking sissy that lost its footing and will have to separate from his loved one or something...

I like bromance, but this is too much into yaoi territory to be enjoyable, dont think I should base the whole series solely due to this, but it causes me disconfort to watch it.
Dec 19, 2018 5:13 AM

Oct 2017
So Max takes a small detour to see his family and gives his son a birthday present. His ex wife is quite the character lol.

Afterwards the gang heads out to the home of that scientist guy to find out more about Banana Fish. They meet the mans “adopted” son there who ends up being apart of the Lee gang. I hate all the blackmail he’s giving Shorter. I hope in the end, Shorter chooses his friends.

Yut-Lung notices how much Ash seems to trust Eiji so he has plans to kidnap Eiji to get to Ash.

This one ends with Max’s family being in trouble. I hope they don’t suffer the same fate as Ash’s family.
Jan 16, 2019 2:35 PM
EOussama

Dec 2016
This show has done it to me way more than I care to admit, they totally are not going to murder Max's family, right? Right?
I knew the long-haired dude was going to be trouble, the opening visuals kind of gave it away, but I guess, the way his expression changed gave me hope that he is probably converting sides here, at least I wish he does, he's pretty smart like they hyped him up to be, he should come into great use.
To be honest, Eiji should really return back home, that's just the logical decision to go with, and there is no hate in that, he's probably going to cause way more trouble than contribute anything of great value.
I feel bad for Shorter man, he has to bite the bullet and chose between his sister, buddies, and Ash, it sucks to be in his position.
Mar 27, 2019 9:37 PM

Dec 2013
Arg. I hate how every episode something bad happens to Ash and his company. Like they are always get in trouble and nothing good seems to happen? Something like that. I hope nothing bad happens to Max's family argff

โ˜…โ”โ”โ”€
๐˜๐˜ฐ๐˜ธ ๐˜ค๐˜ข๐˜ฏ ๐˜ ๐˜ฃ๐˜ณ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜จ ๐˜ฑ๐˜ฆ๐˜ข๐˜ค๐˜ฆ ๐˜ต๐˜ฐ ๐˜ฎ๐˜บ ๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ๐˜ข๐˜ณ๐˜ต?
๐˜ž๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฏ ๐˜ ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜ฌ ๐˜ข๐˜ฃ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ๐˜ต ๐˜ช๐˜ต ๐˜ฆ๐˜ท๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ๐˜บ ๐˜ฅ๐˜ข๐˜บ?

May 27, 2019 11:23 PM

Apr 2016
I wasn't very excited or thrilled when this episode ended. As someone who is not (yet) reading the manga, the pacing of this episode felt fast.

It was a plot twist to learn that Yut Lung is disguised as Yau-Si Dawson.

Shorter asked Wang-Lung for information about Yau-Si, trusting in the latter, but Shorter certainly did not know that Hua-Lung and Wang-Lung are brothers and are working together. ;----; Well, Wang-Lung was kind for telling Shorter to leave LA asap, even though the warning came too late...

Yut Lung said the Lee clan has seven sons (including him, but only six (excluding him) are known). Will we see the other four sons of the Lee clan?

I like that the series makes it clear that Shorter is kind and very determined to help his friends. It's just sad that Shorter must listen to Yut Lung's order for the sake of his family. :/ And it's sad that Shorter even cried this episode. It sucks that Shorter’s parents always saw the Lee clan highly because they're the reason why so many Chinese can live on foreign land (USA), yet it's their own ethnicity that's harming each other or resorting to such terrible means... If Eiji does get kidnapped to lure Ash out later, I'm curious to see how our protagonists will get out of that!

After I finished this episode, I also reflected on Eiji and Ash's relationship development. Ash was very alert when he noted Yut Lung's soundless footsteps and did not believe Yut Lung when our Chinese boy said the Chinese are brought up to move quietly (lol). Yet, Ash had no reaction when Eiji came from behind, and they even high-fived and held hands in that a moment. Ash feels safe around Eiji because he trusts that the latter has no ill will, which we can also see when Ash said he always had to repay those who gave him food or a place to stay through sex. However, Ash never has to repay Eiji at all, like when our elder boy saved our blondie and Skip.

Eiji is growing up when he's with Ash, seen from his courage sometimes like when he had an outburst to Jim last episode, and he's open to learning how to use a gun. Eiji's world opens up when he's with Ash, and I think Eiji will want to stay with Ash to help out in whatever way possible. I also like seeing Ash speak softer and be more relaxed when he's with Eiji.

Let's hope nothing bad happens to Jessica and Michael... >< Max just reunited with his ex-wife and gave their son a present for the kid's birthday. Even though Jessica and Max bicker (wow, she even stopped her ex-husband and their son from embracing with her gun; thank goodness Max dodged!), there's a sense of acceptance like when she watched Max leave Michael’s birthday present by the bedside.

Ash seems to know a lot! He even has a hacking USB and was able to get the password of the Dawsons' computer. :O

I wasn't in love with Shorter cat-calling a woman in the beginning of the episode ._______. That doesn’t demonstrate respect.

I like that Ash is battling against Dino for his own freedom too, not just to avenge Skip and Griffin. I’m curious about what freedom will look like to Ash, once our protagonist is out of Dino’s grasp?

And we see the ending theme song again! We only heard the song in the last two episodes x))

I think I’ll take another break from the series haha! I watched three episodes tonight after a one-year hiatus, and the intensity so far has been enough for me. I’ll resume to season 3 of Free!, which I’m halfway through
May 30, 2019 8:07 AM

Oct 2010
Oop. Not Jessica and her son, please.
Aug 23, 2019 3:04 PM

May 2010
I knew something was off about Yut Lung, I already hate this guy.

And now I hope Jessica and her son are going to be okay, somebody please save them ;_;
Sep 18, 2019 6:14 AM

Mar 2015
Everything really is against them!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Dec 15, 2019 3:58 PM

Jun 2019
Something that seems to be an error in this episode having to do with the modernizing of the show to reflect the current time period distracted me a bit. It's set exactly in the present day, present to when it came out, right? So 2018? I don't know if it was outright stated explicitly to be 2018, but the presence of sleek and ultra-modern looking smartphones would suggest this. Yet the birth registry for Yut-Lung lists him as having been born in British Hong Kong. Isn't he supposed to be 16 years old? Hong Kong was handed over from Britain to China in 1997, so it would be impossible for him to be born in a colony that no longer existed. A minor nitpick of an anachronism.
Sep 8, 2020 3:38 AM
Apr 2019
Best episode so far...But feeling sad every one of their family members will get killed at this rate.btw,Opening actually foreshadowed Shorter's gonna change side ,feeling sad for him too.Japanese guys in foreign land sure looks pathetic,my experience was the same with Dr Tenma from Monster . They are just,different,like from a different world
Sep 15, 2020 12:19 PM
Jul 2018
Didn't expect the boy that looks like Eiji to be in the Lee family. I like where the series is going. Ash isn't getting a break though ^^ haha
Nov 18, 2020 7:02 AM

Jul 2020
I'm not even sure if Im following anymore. They entered ChinaTown or whatever and now a gang is hired to pursue them and that gang it the Lee guy or sumn. Lee is evil and they stole the guys sister to make him work for them and the Japanese guy is getting sacked cuz he is useless. I think thats what happened so far
Jan 13, 2021 10:06 PM
Oct 2019
Little worried that this Yut Lung character is going to drag the show down. It lost the rhythm it had maintained for the first 6 episodes.

And, frankly, I don't understand why Yut Lung even needs to pretend to be the son when his job is to capture Ash. Just capture him! You were at the house before Ash and his crew. You had men there at the house to stage a failed kidnapping attempt. Just apprehend Ash right then and there. Wtf is the point of all the charades?

This was the worst episode of the show. I don't even really feel like the story progressed this episode. Mediocre. 4/10 or 5/10
Mar 14, 2021 4:10 AM

Jun 2020
With all that is going on, and people can only talk about the homoerotic tensions. Lol. Yaoi?? BL????? I mean sure there’s the undertones & you can’t deny the chemistry between Ash & Eiji, and this episode, Shorter & Yut Lung, but wow dropping it & never failing to comment about how “gay” it is, just because of a few mere scenes that are completely overshadowed by the overarching plot.....I won’t be the one to call you a homophobe lol glad y’all dropped it.

Anyway Michael is so cute. What an endearing kid! I hope he and mama will be safe. Tho it seemed so ominous.....

I thought Yut Lung would be ๆœˆไบฎ since he said he was named after the moon? But ๆœˆ้พ™ makes sense too hahaha

Poor Shorter......

๊•ค but i’ll probably remember over and over again
you were there and everyone else was there
— the day we all searched for just one thing
๊•ค

Apr 5, 2021 5:35 PM
Mar 2021
I really like Max's family and I hope nothing bad happens to them. I really hope that Shorter isn't going to betray Ash, he's my favorite side character that is still alive. I don't think that Eiji is going to go back to Japan since he is one of the main characters and the connection that him and Ash have together is too strong to just let go, Lee was very smart in realizing the trust that they both have with each other.
Apr 10, 2021 11:46 PM

Jan 2021
Gotta get it out of the way first that Jessica is a QUEEN and I would pay to have her shoot me. I love her and Michael so much. Max has a great family.

YUT-LUNG. My favorite overdramatic hoe. Jun Fukuyama did an EXCELLENT job voicing him, especially during the reveal with a voice change. I'm so fucking satisfied. Fits perfectly for him and his stupid long ass hair. From what I know, majority of manga readers have a love-hate relationship with this dude so I'm excited to know how the anime-onlys will feel about his character arc. For now he's just being a bitch though, with some hints of complexity.

So for those who've been worried/anxious about that Shorter scene in the OP, how are you guys?

Ash drinking right after telling Eiji to go back to Japan/saying something he didn't mean will never not be funny to me. Dude was so stressed about it he had to drink it off. This is also one of his first few obvious displays of attachment and vulnerability to Eiji.
CalmTeaTimeJan 8, 2022 2:41 PM
Aug 8, 2021 11:18 PM
Feb 2020
I'm sad about Shorter, he seems really nice, I hope Lee and his brother change their minds, but I'm guessing it's not gonna be the case
Dec 18, 2021 9:41 AM
Nov 2020
All of the Eiji/Ashe moments were absolutely adorable
Nov 7, 2022 7:00 AM
Oct 2019
Damn Shorter in conflict position now.

Ash just being real with Eiji, emotional scene.

Ohh come on, not Jessica and Max son.
Feb 14, 2023 12:56 AM

Dec 2020
Poor Shorter. 

And come on. Not Jessica and Max's son!!
May 22, 2023 3:36 AM
May 2023
I think it's a classic... if you can handle themes like this then it's a good watch
Jul 26, 2023 1:01 PM
Feb 2023
this ep got me so f anxious
Sep 3, 2023 5:40 AM
Jul 2018
this show just gets better over time
May 10, 4:11 AM
evil egg

Nov 2009
damn the pacing is all over the place
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Banana Fish Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 20, 2018

351 by OTN_Bimmer »»
Yesterday, 8:45 AM

Poll: » Banana Fish Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 4, 2018

120 by kakyoin »»
Jun 7, 4:59 AM

Poll: » Banana Fish Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

TheFreycook - Aug 8, 2018

67 by bubba460z »»
May 5, 4:10 PM

» Any differences?

Mangahater - Apr 27

10 by MickeyMinaj »»
Apr 29, 2:09 AM

Poll: » Banana Fish Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 6, 2018

121 by matheoo41 »»
Apr 13, 5:55 PM
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.