Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 4, 2018 9:35 AM
Dec 2007
It may have been even better than the original FLCL. Extremely enjoyable and incredibly well directed !

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Apr 4, 2018 11:24 AM
Aug 2014
ok but didn't capture the feelings of the original. I mean where the over the toned craziness.?
in this era of moeblob, even FLCL is reduced into a CGDCT anime.
Apr 6, 2018 2:35 PM
Jul 2016
It sucks. It looks like a normal anime and has a worse animation than the original FLCL. 1/10
Evangeliion1Apr 8, 2018 5:52 AM
Apr 7, 2018 9:47 AM
Jan 2011
Prediction: Initial viewings of FLCL Alt & Prog will involve 500 hot takes on how the series has lost its touch, is bad, is a far cry from the original, did all of the characters wrongly, screwed up characters from the original etc... etc... I'm guessing that 6 months after its completion the score will be 7.6 to 7.8.

5 years after that shitstorm, someone will release a retrospective on Youtube about how FLCL Alt & Prog furthered the message of the original, subverted the style through depiction of adolescence (as opposed to the frenzied childhood of the original), how the pacing & camera angles & editing & music is on point even for the most seemingly subdued scenes, and how the characters are re-interpreted in striking ways while still holding to their original core. Probably, by that time, the majority of the community will agree.

At the same time, Eva 4 will come out by then and it will troll fans in a way that they never expected, even after already being trolled once by EoE.
Apr 7, 2018 10:33 AM
Jan 2018
YES! just the right amount of callbacks but a step forward in making it's own identity it's a first episode but OHHH goosebumps where real
Apr 8, 2018 10:40 PM

Jun 2014
While I did enjoy it a lot, after rewatching the episode it didn't have that OOMPH and impact the original had. It was pretty restrained and they didn't go all out with it until the second half. I'm optimistic though.
Apr 9, 2018 12:28 PM

Dec 2009
I expected nothing and i'm still disappointed. That was so meh, it wasn't fooly or cooly
Apr 10, 2018 10:24 PM

Mar 2012
i still don't know what to expect of this. FLCL is my favourite anime and i'm trying not to expect too much out of it because, well, it's been more than a decade. and i guess i liked it. it starts slower than the original series and in a way, makes more sense than the first episode but haruko and the pillows are there and the overall feeling, although a little watered down is there too.
i'll be lying if i said i'm not excited for this. and i'm trying not to expect the same thing, but something that gives me the same feels as the original series. the nostalgia value is there, though, so i'm happy.
Apr 11, 2018 12:17 PM

Oct 2017
This is not as "holy fuck" as the first FLCL, but I still enjoyed it. This is only the first eps so yeah, still waiting for the rest to come out.
Apr 12, 2018 7:35 PM
Apr 2018
I really want to like this show and I hope it picks up, but so far the first episode didn't do anything for me and I don't know what the hook of this show's gonna be. Unlike the original, there doesn't seem to be a whole lotta conflict so far, which makes me wonder what's gonna be so "FLCL" about all this.

Even before all the hyperkinetic action that we all know and love, the original "FLCL" got a lot of character business and development out of how bored, lonely, and malcontent Naota was. He's caught up in the "not a boy, but not a man yet" frustrations of puberty, he idolizes his older brother who's out of his reach (since he's gone abroad), he only ever hangs out with Mamimi (a total weirdo who may or may not be a pyromaniac), and he seems totally bored and disappointed in everything about the town he lives in. Our little hangout session with Naota at the beginning gets us curious to find out what happens next with this kid before everything that possibly could indeed does.

The protagonist of this new one seems perfectly happy and content with her town. She seems happy and healthy with her group of friends(!). (Speaking of whom, I don't feel like I got to know any of them even though we did get a cool little hangin' out montage in the middle.) Also, unlike Naota, she's 17 and indeed seems a lot more comfortable in her skin and seems more grown-up than Naota. Is she just gonna be a passive character whom all this stuff just happens to, or is she gonna have some conflict between all the wackitdoo cartoon action like the original had? If this series picks up and finds its feet, I'll be ecstatic, but so far, I wonder if this is a fitting sequel to "FLCL," because there doesn't seem to be much of what made "FLCL" FLCL here.
OrangeJoeliusApr 13, 2018 5:10 PM
Apr 16, 2018 7:26 AM

Jul 2012
Rewatched the original for the upcoming season, then this episode and wanna say that really didn't get any similar vibes. Won't write it off just for the 1 episode + kinda strange that episode from 3rd season (i think it is 3rd) aired, i assume/think there will be some connection overall so it feels very random. But well it wasn't impressive at all ...
Apr 19, 2018 7:07 AM
Jul 2018
Unappealing animations, slower pacing despite not having more details or more interesting character interactions, a much duller version of Haruko, and a decent soundtrack that is not as well utilized within the anime as the original OVA did.

Good thing this was just an April Fools prank, I actually got worried for a secon-
Apr 20, 2018 2:31 PM

Jul 2017
Nowhere near as explosive or fast paced as the original, that's for sure.

Visuals are quite a bit different, however, still charming.

Very enjoyable episode. Looking forward to the rest.
Suddenly, someone slaps you with a brick wall.

Apr 25, 2018 8:23 AM

Dec 2007
It's quite strange to see it back after all these years, but it was very good. The art isn't amazing, but the animation is really top notch. All the small details put into the anime like the broken smartphone screen breathe life into the anime and characters.
May 15, 2018 9:50 AM

Mar 2016
I liked this. Kana is really cute, (I really like her) and her and her friends have some good interactions. Kinda don't want to see her get corrupted by Haruko. Had a similar vibe to the original in minor details, but was much more subdued. We still obviously have a coming of age story with some innuendo. I like how they're trying to build a rocket, to shoot off into the sky, yet it's destroyed by something from up above. Had this been the first episode of FLCL that I saw when back when, I probably wouldn't have liked it, but tastes change, and it's nice that this one isn't looking solely to the past to find itself. Laughing at all the 'muh childhood' retards who were crying back when all this was announced, I have a feeling it's gong to be fine even if we have to wait to see the rest. But there are still going to be people who refuse to give it a chance, ironic, given the message of the original.

czxcjx said:
Prediction.

Have a feeling this will prove to be scarily accurate, even if not on the same scale. At least from what I can see, Alternative has already moved in that direction (it's the 'third' season though, so this whole thing is all turned around and coming full circle)

GoldenLink64 said:
Holy crap It's literally a worse K-ON in every way. What bothers me the most is that it screws up what the original FLCL did in 40 seconds. We don't need 16 minutes of the most boring slice of life imaginable to establish the setting with absolutely nothing happening.

Thanks for the laugh. There was sure a lot of 'nothing' happening, huh? It's almost as if they're trying to introduce us to a group of people.
syncrogazerMay 15, 2018 10:27 AM
May 21, 2018 8:53 PM
Aug 2014
I was cautious coming into this with no real expectations and it felt like it was trying to scream to us 'HEY LOOK THIS IS A COMING OF AGE STORY' while the original just spoke through the story. Not to mention our main character here and the gang around her seem to be as uninspired as the rest of the story.

From the little we've heard of the first episode of Progressive seems to also be lacking any real soul. Should have just given it to Masaaki Yuasa and the wonderful people at Science Saru.
May 27, 2018 10:17 AM

May 2015
Ok, this doesn’t really feel like FLCL to me, but hey, the overall staff isn’t the same so it was to be expected.

The directing is mediocre compare to the first one. Honestly, why isn’t Kazuya Tsurumaki directing this?

Anyhow, I don’t see the point of another FLCL series... Producers should just stop with these idiotic revivals of series that don’t need one.

We ultimately fear what spawns from within us ~Shinsekai yori
Music is freedom. ~Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso
Sep 8, 2018 9:02 PM

Apr 2015
An overwhelmingly okay episode. If this turns out like Progressive I'll likely bump it up a point because I like the girls.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Sep 8, 2018 9:05 PM

Apr 2016
Progressive definitely had a stronger first episode
I hope they'll try using different art styles in the different episodes like in Progressive too
I will say I already like the protagonist of this one more than Progressive's
honestly the only thing that made this feel like FLCL was the Pillow's music (which is great as always) and the fact that Haruko was in it. it felt more like K-ON if anything
Progressive I felt made an attempt to do something different but had mixed results, but right now Alternative doesn't even feel like its doing anything unique, but I'll reserve those criticisms until I've seen more of it
Sep 8, 2018 9:10 PM
Jul 2018
Liked this episode, it felt more like the original show than the first episode of Progressive did in my opinion. Hoping that show will get crazier and weirder as it continues.
Sep 9, 2018 12:55 AM

Aug 2013
Here's to hoping this turns out better than Progressive.
Don't believe the hype.
Sep 9, 2018 6:27 AM

Sep 2012
I definitely forgot most of this episode since april fool's day, cause it felt like I was watching it all for the first time. Not sure how I feel about the introduction to Haruko in this one and the appearance of the monster; they both feel kind of pointless because they just... happen. I'm still hoping it'll pick up in the coming episodes.

Gotta love that product placement though!
Sep 9, 2018 9:46 AM

Apr 2016
While it certainly isn't as explosive or kinetic as FLCL, this first episodes is leagues ahead of the entirety of Progressive in every single way imaginable (except for maybe the music). FLCL Progressive felt incredibly uninspired while pandering to certain trends of today in the dumbest and/or most meaningless ways possible while introducing destructive elements that make no sense even by this franchise's purposely wacky logic. It feels middling, and its characters are as flat pathetic as Haruko's attempt at a character arc. They only really try to bust out the more interesting visuals in the penultimate episode and with one or two dream sequences that ended up being entirely unexplored and meaningless, with everything else looking stiff when it wants to get wild, and the overall show just looking kinda eh.

FLCL Alternative actually tries to keep some of the spirit of the original. FLCL prided itself on being unique and passionate, with an epic audiovisual experience you couldn't get anywhere else. Alternative not only tries to take things in an entirely new direction with new subject matter (unlike Progressive) but it does a way better job at having bouncier, more kinetic animation. Its characters feel infinitely more alive than Progressive, and the show modernizes itself earnestly by tapping into the culture of today with girls hanging out and going to the mall, and people actually listening to music and checking their GPS with their smartphones. It doesn't feel like they're doing it to play it safe with the new crowd; it feels like it wants to actually be the FLCL of the next generation. Call it unnecessary, but so far, this has proven to be a sequel that actually justifies its existence, unlike Progressive. It also hasn't done anything to jeopardize itself or its predecessors, unlike that show. It'll never be as unique, vibrant, or profound in its overtness and subtleties as the original, but at least it tries to keep the spirit alive while being its own distinct, worthwhile thing. I just wanna see them explore this more and do more with the visuals and characters. There's a lot of potential for this one.

Also, I really dig Haruko's new look here. Not sure if it beats her original look since I think I like the hairstyle of FLCL 1 more, but damn did they put in work here.
Sep 18, 2018 11:47 PM

Mar 2009
What @CodeBlazeFate said. Already better than the entirety of Progressive. We'll have to see how it continues to hold up. Anything could happen, but I'm optimistic so far. Characters are a lot more fun.

Jason DeMarco said on twitter that FLCL Alternative is a different type of FLCL series, so, oddly enough, maybe this will end up working out for the better. So far, so good.

Even Haruko seems a little different here, but maybe that's just me. Unless she's fused with Jinyuu again, and is complete. Don't know when this takes place, though. After Progressive? Before Progressive? Alternate timeline? Who knows.
Sep 28, 2018 8:28 AM

May 2018
Thank god it tries NOT to go the same route as the original 100%. Otherwise we'd get another trainwreck of metaphor overuse everyone outside of the anime community would regard as pile of crap.
However, it's still a really good idea to watch the original before watching this, you'd be still bamboozled by the weirdness.
For the mean time I like Alternative way more than FLCL (let's not talk about Progressive here) as it has the same vibes intact while being...more subtle and thus less over the top. But let's look what they'll do out of episode 2-6.
Mar 23, 2020 2:25 PM

Aug 2017
The ED was good, I think Alternative will fall in between the original and progressive in terms of quality (that is, will be very average). At least not everything here is a blatant copy of FLCL (like medical mechanica). Though not nearly close in quality to the original. I smiled a couple of times however. It was also good to hear Shintani Mayumi as Haruko again.
St0rmbladeMar 23, 2020 2:31 PM
Feb 12, 2022 11:45 PM

Jan 2015
Enjoyed it more from one episode than I did Progressive, honestly! Really likable cast of main characters, very fun, nice tone.
May 16, 2023 7:14 PM

Nov 2010
I like the reference to Transformers and Michael Bay.
Haruko looks hotter here than in Progressive.
The part about Kana wanting things to stay the same forever is so relatable! I'm the same with her. I hate change since, in most cases, it's for the worst.
The story is less bizarre than Progressive. It was mostly SOL + CGDCT. I am okay with that since I love to see cute girls, especially Hijiri. She's so my type. I want to tap her so bad! Also, just like in Progressive, the OST is so good! It's the best thing in this show.
The ending was interesting. I guess it's about moving on and accepting change.
May 5, 4:28 PM
Dec 2022
Kinda confusing that its seperated into episodes and not one episode
pretty good so far
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» The Show is Ruined Because of Haruko

GennosukeKouga - Jul 3, 2020

2 by fatbastard69 »»
Jun 12, 2022 2:26 PM

Poll: » FLCL Alternative Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Vysarine - Oct 13, 2018

57 by Wiziliz »»
Feb 13, 2022 12:41 AM

Poll: » FLCL Alternative Episode 5 Discussion

Vysarine - Oct 6, 2018

14 by St0rmblade »»
Mar 23, 2020 5:39 PM

Poll: » FLCL Alternative Episode 4 Discussion

Vysarine - Sep 29, 2018

16 by St0rmblade »»
Mar 23, 2020 4:52 PM

Poll: » FLCL Alternative Episode 3 Discussion

Vysarine - Sep 22, 2018

15 by St0rmblade »»
Mar 23, 2020 4:16 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.