Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Nov 2, 2016 2:58 PM

Nov 2016
Viktor really makes me laugh with every little thing he does!
That Minami kid was unexpectedly cute and likeable. Loved his free program. On the other side, I was honestly disappointed at the Yuri on Ice tune.
Yuri is handsome with his hair pulled back. He looked like a total badass in that scene (user weebna posted the gif).
I felt a little bit sad for Russia!Yuri...

The animators had some trouble with the proportions during the free programs, right? Those choreographies must be very hard to animate, but it bothered me a bit.
Nov 2, 2016 3:00 PM

Aug 2007
Sake said:
weebna said:
AND CAN WE TALK ABOUT YURI HERE? TRUE EROS OMGOMGOMG

Holy skating god! Yess!!

That's Yuri's "Bitch, shut up and learn." face. xD He's so damn cool! Besides all the obvious yaoi-bait, I was fangirling so much over Yuri. <33
Nov 2, 2016 3:02 PM
May 2015
B
TheShippest said:
Half way through the episode all i was thinking was "So is Minami a boy or girl?"

Boy. It's an all male's competition
Nov 2, 2016 3:03 PM

Nov 2007
So who else here did figure skating and can't help but watch this anime with professional deformation looming over them?? I feel like the Russian ballerina from the previous episode XD He made so many mistakes in jumping,there is no way he would get that many points or just...be skating on this level....waylt

also,i am hardcore fujoshi but this anime is so straightforwardly gay that i am just like...whatever...?? (how to even explain this)

But i enjoy this anime very much despite what my comment may make you think :'D
Nov 2, 2016 3:12 PM

Sep 2015
Loved the performances! Liked seeing Yuri and Minami interact too :D
Nov 2, 2016 3:15 PM

Jul 2009
I swear to god if Yuri and Victor don't have a full blown romance going on by the end of this series im gonna rage! LIKE DAMNIT THEY ARE SO GAY FOR EACH OTHER!
Nov 2, 2016 3:29 PM

Oct 2014

I don't blame both Yuri's for wanting Victor! This man is just... GOALS! I completely relate to you in a certain level. I also love how affectionate he is toward Yuri. Is this what it feels like to fall in love?? Cause that sure as hell feel like to me.
Nov 2, 2016 3:42 PM
Apr 2014
Cativa said:
rawrlsy said:
i don't think it's queerbaiting, especially after this episode. no two straight men will act this way or say the things they have said (seduce, the emotion of love, etc.) , there's no undertone here. come on, the preview bit showed viktor kissing yuuri naked as can be. their relationship goes beyond queerbaiting, it's implied that there's something going on beyond their relationship as a student and coach, whether it's emotionally or physically.

rant aside, is it just me or does it feel like the animation slightly lacked in this episode, especially during yuuri's free skate?

Yeah, the animation quality has been dropping significantly each week, at least on cr. I think that the bluray version will be fucking beautiful though...

oh god, i didn't even think of that. the blu-ray version will be so nice :3 i always watch it as soon as it comes out so the resolution isn't the greatest either. more things to look forward to!
Nov 2, 2016 3:44 PM
Apr 2014
Helenus said:
rawrlsy said:

wait, really? i feel like that's such a cop-out wtf. xD oh well, i hope the animation gets a little better, i feel like they're using a lot of repetitive frames without trying to make it seem like they're...you know, not.

and what do they have to do? have a public love confession followed by sex steamy enough to melt the rink? ;A;

Well, I think we all agree this show won't ever be Yaoi (meaning: showing actual sex between two male characters). But a lot of viewers seem to think it might become shounen-ai. To be shounen-ai there has to be some kind of romantic tone. ROMANTIC. And this is definitely not the case so far. Let them confess. Hold hands. An innocent kiss. You know the shounen-ai tropes. At this point it just isn't enough.

meh, it doesn't mean it's queerbaiting. agree to disagree.
Nov 2, 2016 4:05 PM

Dec 2012
Wonderful episode.

Yuri is one Beautiful Pork Cutlet Bowl. Looks so good without glasses.

Minami is upbeat & energetic. He really admires Yuri. Nice choice of music for his performance. Upbeat & Jazzy.

Yuri's performance was amazing. A few mistakes. Ouch slamming his face into the wall. Congrats on winning.
Love how Victor has been with Yuri from the beginning. I enjoy their relationship.

Yuri determined to win the Grand Prix.
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Nov 2, 2016 4:30 PM

Sep 2015
Dam I thought Yuri was done for , when his face hit the wall. Looks like there's gonna be some rivals giving Yuri a run for his money for the Cup of China.
Nov 2, 2016 4:41 PM
Mar 2016
When Yuri talks about what his theme is for the Grand Prix seems like a cute move to show his feelings for Viktor. I mean when Viktor asked Yuri to seduce him during his performance could that indicate that there is a romantic relationship between the two?....yes, yes it can.... And when Yuri talks about his theme he does have flashbacks about his time with Viktor, and finds motivation in that.
Nov 2, 2016 4:58 PM
Aug 2015
Beautiful performance! Minami is soo SMOL AND CUTE!

Lmao I'm waiting for their wedding... GAY AS ALWAYS.
Nov 2, 2016 5:08 PM

May 2009
Words cannot describe how much I really enjoyed this episode!
Minami was so cute and his routine was so cool and catchy! :)
Yuri...it was all good 'til he got himself a boo-boo! Ouch! ( And I secretly wished Viktor kissed his boo-boo XD)
Yuri's understanding of love makes me want to ship him and Viktor forever <3!

SchwingBoner said:

Great to see Yuri improving bit by bit. A lot of hugging this ep. Victor so savage!

Way to show tough love, Viktor!
narulovesramenNov 2, 2016 5:12 PM
Nov 2, 2016 5:13 PM

Feb 2016
Its hard for a show to get me emotionally invested, but dang I couldn't help but cheer on Yuri on this episode. I'm impressed :)
What.
Nov 2, 2016 5:18 PM

May 2014
This anime just makes me keep loving it even more with each new episode!

One thing I'm really loving is the pacing, because it's pretty fast paced and gets straight to the point without feeling rushed and unemotional; both Yuri and Yurio have subtly progressed and developed, but it never feels drawn out or angsty.

I also thought Minami was adorable and his routine just made me smile...Yuri's brought a tear to my eye because of how beautiful it was- definitely not perfect, but still breathtaking. The close ups were particularly gorgeous there can never be enough close ups of Viktor's eyes

The hug scenes were so cute as well and I'm excited to see how next ep pans out- Phichit seems like an interesting dude!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 2, 2016 5:28 PM

Mar 2016
Loved this episode again as always. Little nugget Kenjiro and his adorable dance have purified my soul and I can now pass peacefully.

Poor Yuri smashing his face into the wall, but he pulled through like a champ. I'm glad he beat his personal score, it shows us how much he's improved since the start of the series!

I loved hearing from Victor's point of view during Yuri's performance, I think it started shedding light on how Yuri inspired him to become a coach and I hope they expand even more on it since it's really clear how Yuri feels about Victor.

On a side note I really want to know what Yuri majored in when he went to college haha.
Nov 2, 2016 5:32 PM
Sep 2014
This show is just getting gayer and gayer I swear. So this show is like Free but like on frozen water?
Nov 2, 2016 5:42 PM
Oct 2016
Ok, so I just saved like a good 20 pics of gifs and screenshots from this episode. So many hugs and little cute moments between victor and yuri, so cute. I was actually really worry after seeing episode 4 because it started giving me this vibe that it was all just fanservice and that their relationship wasn't going anywhere, especially when victor offered to be yuri's boyfriend only to have him react so negatively (very nohomo). But this episode really turned that around, we even got yuri saying that he describes his feelings for victor as love (on live tv too, pretty gutsy). Even the animation for the skating scenes were done much better this week. All and all I have to say this was a great episode and I'm looking forward to see what they'll do next week. I can wait to see yuri's old friend preform!
Nov 2, 2016 5:47 PM

Aug 2009
Seriously, if this show doesn't turn out with a real relationship between Yuri and Victor, idk what I'm going to do with my life lol
Nov 2, 2016 5:53 PM

Feb 2013
Haha his nosebleed though... that must hurt.
Victor's love was intense this episode.
Nov 2, 2016 6:13 PM

Sep 2015
Wow, I never expected Yuuri to have such a sudden character development... Well, it was a matter of time anyway, since Viktor's (possibly romantic) gestures had been evident for as long as this anime started airing. And I was not expecting Yuuri to 'come out' on national television. He's got guts, man. (edit: I know that his relationship with Viktor isn't platonic, but it's borderline romantic, so I don't know how does one describe it).

A few days ago, I read an article which discussed sexuality and male figure skating. Which can be found here. To sum the article up, figure skating has had connotations of being a "feminine sport" and thus the officials had various attempts to alter the male figure skating to become more "macho" than the female ones which were a harsh reality for some queer, more effeminate male skaters. What's terribly unfortunate for some of these skaters are the fact that once they publicly come out of the closet, there are chances that this will cause a backlash to their entire career.
It will be interesting to see how Yamamoto Sayo will lead this anime now that Yuuri had expressed this "Love" out in the open. I mean, her previous works had a certain degree of controversial topics, so I have hopes for YOI to have contentious elements and be an eye-opener for those within or outside the field of figure skating. Geez, I signed up to watch YOI because it's a sport anime, not because it's some huge 'throwing-the-shade' towards the male figure skating industry.

Ah, sorry for making such a long comment. I thought I'd get this whole concept that's been on my mind for days out in the open before the real action starts - as shown in the preview of episode 6. And yes, Phichit-kun is still best-boi.
ChaldeneNov 2, 2016 6:19 PM
Nov 2, 2016 6:26 PM

Mar 2015
I wouldn't say Yuri 'came out' on live TV. You should listen to the phrase in question again. Episode 5 essentially sealed the deal. No romantic feelings towards Victor.
Nov 2, 2016 6:33 PM

Apr 2016
apart from the whole BL thing in this episode, I realy enjoyed it. I feel like this is one of those shows that gets better and better each episode!
Nov 2, 2016 6:35 PM

Oct 2013
I know there is a lot to comment on for this episode, but I'll just say I really enjoyed Minami and his performance. He's so cute I couldn't help but smile every time I saw him. I like how we're getting introduced to new characters with different styles as it goes along. I'm loving every character so far.
Nov 2, 2016 6:45 PM

Sep 2015
@Helenus
I was quite hesitant to write the word 'come out' since it's not exactly what happened in episode 5. But the word 'come out' can be used in the context of Yuuri has acknowledged this feeling of Love.
Also, his press conference talk was so implicit, it was hard to determine the subtleties between him and his coach, Viktor.
Nov 2, 2016 6:46 PM

Oct 2011
This episode was awesome, while they're are performing I was on edge of my seat, hoping both of guys don't make any mistake... It didn't happen, but I loved it.

Everytime Yuri perform Eros I think I'm slowly becoming gay for him.
Nov 2, 2016 6:56 PM

Jun 2015
Great episode
I really hope we'll see more of Victor POV in the future, we kind of get now how Yuri is percieving Victor (that he kind of know since forever, because he is one of his fan) but we don't really know why Victor is THAT interested in Yuri. I also need more of my little Yurio (Am I the only one who kind of ship Yurio and Mila ?)

Still hope this show is going to be two courts, fingers crossed !
Nov 2, 2016 6:59 PM

Oct 2013
God, this show is amazing, it just keeps on delivering every episode. If it'll keep this up which it has so far it'll easily be my show of the year.
RainesNov 2, 2016 7:02 PM

Nov 2, 2016 7:05 PM

May 2015
First competition episode, and I LOVED it! The animation of the skating was great!

Also, best moment
Nov 2, 2016 7:10 PM

Aug 2015
I feel like the animation for the performances were a bit lacking, but that's probably just me. Other than the baiting it was a good episode.
Nov 2, 2016 7:18 PM

Sep 2011
Yuri's performance actually gave me some goosebumps with how well it worked with that amazing piece they made for this. Whoever made it really outdid themselves its beautiful.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Nov 2, 2016 7:30 PM

Dec 2015
I guess victor and yuri are canon. haha

ALRIGHT! BUT I CAN'T JUST IGNORE THIS LITTLE DUDES CUTENESS!!! OH GOD!

I MEAN LOOK! LOOK AT his adorable clothing style! his jiggly dance routine! that pink streak on his hair! and don't forget the pointy teeth!

I swear to god He's so cute!!! I think Im gonna die! (I can't believe Im actually saying this)

I've only seen him once and Gods! I want to see this baby GROW, WIN and SUCCEED! this child is far too precious to be only seen once. I doubt if we'll see more of him but my heart can only hope

He reminds me so much of hinata from haikyuu! but I can't believe his 2 years older than Yurio.
QueenSapphireNov 3, 2016 3:51 AM
Nov 2, 2016 7:55 PM

Oct 2014
There is always a way for this show to get gayer
Still, my heart wasn't ready for that
Wait, did you just say that Jojo is shit?
Nov 2, 2016 8:22 PM
Feb 2016
Once again we've unlocked another side of Yuuri. It's a nice thing for me to be able to see the different sides of a character where positive and negative emotions go side by side.

Viktor and Yuuri though!! The amount of touches and hugs that are in this episode and the next ones \(≧▽≦)/<Banzai!!>

Not sure why but got a bit emotional when I watched Yuuri's performance half way through and Minami's performance could be call 'Dancing on Ice' + love how upbeat it is that matches his personality<3
Nov 2, 2016 9:50 PM

Apr 2014
my only complaint so far is the reused animation is getting repetitive but that can be understood with the complexity of it. also, i feel like the pace is really rushed because it's going to be only 12 episodes. i feel kinda sad because it could have been a really great fleshed out sports anime but sadly it might get rushed and feel incomplete

also, Yuri is getting more handsome with each episode. probably my fav character in this anime
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 2, 2016 9:52 PM

Jun 2013
whoa all the performances were awesome and the music too!
Nov 2, 2016 11:01 PM
May 2016
I loved, loved, LOVED this episode.

As a sidenote, it might be time to enroll Yurio in an anger management program.

Nov 2, 2016 11:11 PM

Jun 2013
This is the gayest show i have ever seen..... I. LOVE. IT!
Great performances as well!
Nov 2, 2016 11:13 PM

Jun 2013
Also while it doesnt have an official episode count, MAL has this listed as ending in December, hopefully its wrong though :/
Nov 2, 2016 11:26 PM

Jul 2013
SakurasouBusters said:
Also while it doesnt have an official episode count, MAL has this listed as ending in December, hopefully its wrong though :/

It would certainly be fine with 12 episodes, but I would not complain at ALL if it was 24.
この世界には。。。秘密がある
Nov 2, 2016 11:29 PM

Jun 2013
sanata50lbsb said:
SakurasouBusters said:

It would certainly be fine with 12 episodes, but I would not complain at ALL if it was 24.

Yeah 12 would be okay, just dont want it to be super rushed.
Nov 2, 2016 11:34 PM
Jan 2016
it was so gay and so good i was crying during yuri's free skate
Nov 3, 2016 12:07 AM

Feb 2015
Entertainig and very beautiful performances, is amazing how they skate on ice while dance and do all that jumps, and the music is very good. I didn't expect me to like this anime.
Nov 3, 2016 12:23 AM

Sep 2011
Helenus said:
rawrlsy said:

wait, really? i feel like that's such a cop-out wtf. xD oh well, i hope the animation gets a little better, i feel like they're using a lot of repetitive frames without trying to make it seem like they're...you know, not.

and what do they have to do? have a public love confession followed by sex steamy enough to melt the rink? ;A;

Well, I think we all agree this show won't ever be Yaoi (meaning: showing actual sex between two male characters). But a lot of viewers seem to think it might become shounen-ai. To be shounen-ai there has to be some kind of romantic tone. ROMANTIC. And this is definitely not the case so far. Let them confess. Hold hands. An innocent kiss. You know the shounen-ai tropes. At this point it just isn't enough.

Small correction. There doesn't have to be sex for it to be yaoi. Yaoi aka BL can be PG.
Nov 3, 2016 12:38 AM

Sep 2014
Damn, the animation took a hit. It's a shame, this kind of show really needs to be able to completely sell the performances like in episodes 1 and 3. I hope the production regains form and doesn't completely fall apart like last season's Orange.
Nov 3, 2016 12:47 AM
Feb 2011
This show honestly needed a bigger, much bigger budget. Think of the possibilities if the performances were more fluid! This episode's animation was just... kinda bad.
Nov 3, 2016 1:07 AM
Nov 2016
After watching this episode... I'm starting to feel like this would have been a better movie rather than a TV series. Bigger budget on the performances and cut out all the extra fluff to focus on the Victor/Yuri dynamic when he eventually competes in the finals.

It kind of diminishes the emotional payoff of watching the performances when you see a weaker version of it before the emotional climax it will no doubt be performed to later (his free skate performance.)
Nov 3, 2016 1:10 AM

Jun 2015
I absolutely loved Minami's performance.
:)
Nov 3, 2016 3:45 AM
Apr 2016
Helenus said:
rawrlsy said:

I think you're too hung up on arbitrary genre definitions. Not all anime that features romance is in the "romance" genre, and the romance genre doesn't distinguish between shows where the characters actually have sex. Nagisa getting pregnant in Clannad doesn't suddenly make the show a different genre.

So why is it when same gender romance is concerned it has to all be shoved into specific and poorly defined categories?

Personally, I would like to see the relationship be explicitly romantic by the end of the series. I don't particularly care which genre you think that makes it, because that has no bearing on the actual content of the show itself. I'm still not sure they will, but I don't understand the need to be overly pessimistic about it. If they do that's great, if they don't oh well. There's no reason to keep harping on about it being "fujo bait" after every episode, just let people have their fun until we know for certain.
IanamusNov 3, 2016 3:49 AM
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yuri!!! on Ice Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 19, 2016

289 by RGreatDanton »»
May 21, 9:49 PM

Poll: » Yuri!!! on Ice Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Oct 12, 2016

206 by RGreatDanton »»
May 21, 9:00 AM

Poll: » Yuri!!! on Ice Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 5, 2016

386 by RGreatDanton »»
May 21, 8:48 AM

» Movie got cancelled ( 1 2 )

Hickykissy - Apr 18

57 by LaGata7 »»
May 6, 5:36 PM

» Mappa's insane missed oppurtunity...

jotasui - Aug 10, 2023

17 by Niko_himari »»
May 1, 11:40 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.