Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Barakamon
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Sep 27, 2014 7:22 PM
Feb 2014
definitely this season comedy is better than the action one, those overhyped action isn't even as good as this
Sep 27, 2014 7:25 PM

Jul 2012
Vladz0r said:
It's kinda funny. I could apply most of your review to a review of Clannad season 1.

+1 And Clannad's humour is also immature and childish, even more than Barakamon's.
Sep 27, 2014 7:25 PM

Jun 2014
Different people, different opinions. It doesn't mean it's overrated just because you don't really like the series, and you tried to search another person who has the same opinion with you.
Sep 27, 2014 7:34 PM
Feb 2010
Not sure how many people think this anime is nice but I personally think the OP and ED are great, especially the OP. Haven't watched Usagi Drop but I have read some chapters of of Yotsuba. Yotsuba is similar to Naru in this series but I think Yotsuba seems a bit more repetitive with too much focus on 1 character.

In this anime I think that the slice of life, comedy, touching moments were balanced out nicely with decent focus on each character. Although there was not a lot of character development in the main characters' past, it is still nice due to the light-hearted pacing and presentation style. Definitely worth watching for slice-of-life / comedy lovers.
Sep 27, 2014 7:36 PM

Dec 2012
Dunkjoe said:
Not sure how many people think this anime is nice but I personally think the OP and ED are great, especially the OP. Haven't watched Usagi Drop but I have read some chapters of of Yotsuba. Yotsuba is similar to Naru in this series but I think Yotsuba seems a bit more repetitive with too much focus on 1 character.

In this anime I think that the slice of life, comedy, touching moments were balanced out nicely with decent focus on each character. Although there was not a lot of character development in the main characters' past, it is still nice due to the light-hearted pacing and presentation style. Definitely worth watching for slice-of-life / comedy lovers.

The OP and ED of this show are brilliant. I also love Usagi drops ED
Sep 27, 2014 8:13 PM

Dec 2011
Hmm I don't think it's overrated at all tbh
When I started watching it Naru annoyed me to no end LOL but it soon became really heartwarming to be and funny and now I love it :D
Idk, it's just about different peoples opinion.
People love it, people hate it; it's just if they enjoy it or not.

I've never seen Usagi Drop but I think going in with the expectation of it being like another anime could affect how you feel about it too~
Sep 27, 2014 9:38 PM

Apr 2011
The show has a feel good feeling towards it when you watch it, any state you're in and this show can brighten your day id say. Ill be re watching this show quite a few times.
Sep 27, 2014 9:40 PM

Jul 2012
'kay I just finished it and it's definitely not overrated.
Sep 27, 2014 9:42 PM
Sep 2012
The anime series with too much fantasy are overrated!

Barakamon isn't!
Sep 27, 2014 9:51 PM
Oct 2013
The anime is invigorating. It's not overrated.

This is the 3rd anime that I've seen this season to be questioned as overrated.
Sep 27, 2014 10:17 PM

Jul 2012
mbdsquad said:
This is the 3rd anime that I've seen this season to be questioned as overrated.

Everything is "overrated" on MAL these days. ^^;
Sep 27, 2014 10:24 PM

Nov 2009
Usagi Drop is one of my all-time favorites, but that didn't stop me from enjoying Barakamon. The reason people compare the two is because in both a young girl influences an older male's life. But just because one thing is similar doesn't mean you should expect the whole series to be the same.

I wouldn't call Barakamon a comedy either. I would describe it as slice of life with comedic scenes and a side story (calligraphy) mixed in. For me, having these things mixed in was what made this a better anime than some series that are purely slice of life. It was relaxing to watch, and we also got to see Handa mature through interacting with the kids and village residents (which provided some funny scenes). As he matures, we see how his calligraphy improves. There are plenty of slice of life that are relaxing, but many times the end of those series are at the same point as where they started off, whereas in Barakamon there has been progress.
Sep 27, 2014 11:03 PM

Jan 2011
It's not. This had a lot going for it beyond the comedy which was great. I could ask the same question to No Game No Life which literally had nothing of substance...it was just "cool" to watch and quite literally was just above average at best (6 or 7) in the end and is imo one of the most overrated shows I know of.

JD2411 said:
There has been a noticeable increase in the sexualisation of naru which I am not a fan of and I feel it weakens the main themes of the series.

...what?
IZEROIISep 27, 2014 11:07 PM
Sep 27, 2014 11:06 PM

Oct 2013
Only a mongoloid would say this is bad or overrated even.
Sep 27, 2014 11:19 PM
Apr 2008
anime is okay so I gave a 7 instead ending seems predictable
Sep 27, 2014 11:36 PM

Aug 2014
mayukachan said:
PencilSharpener said:
Is it a routine on MAL to make one of these threads for every anime that just finished airing?

Only for shows that have 8+ scores.

Oh, thanks for the explanation. Since it's customary, I will strive to create one for this coming season.
Sieg Zeon!
Sep 28, 2014 12:08 AM

Oct 2013
It's a laid back which happens to be cute and funny :)
Sep 28, 2014 12:12 AM

Jan 2013
this show is a solid 8, but its not as good as people are VERBALLY giving it credit for.

The score is right, but this isnt the best show of the season.
Sep 28, 2014 12:14 AM

Dec 2012
SolviteSekai said:
this show is a solid 8, but its not as good as people are VERBALLY giving it credit for.

That's what I gave it. To be honest, either I didn't pick out the right shows or this season was pretty bland
Sep 28, 2014 12:16 AM

Jan 2013
Objurgo said:
SolviteSekai said:

That's what I gave it. To be honest, either I didn't pick out the right shows or this season was pretty bland

Most seasons are pretty bland.

The issue with this show is that the kids are voiced by real kids, and act like real kids.

So of course people expecting grown up anime kids with tits might be upset.

I don't find this show funny, but its definitely well made.
Sep 28, 2014 2:52 AM

Mar 2014
Just finished it and was surprised to see this topic. It's impossible for a comedy to appeal to everyone because everyone has a different kind of humour, but just because it's not your kind of humour, and because you had wrong expectations, does not mean it's overrated.
Sep 28, 2014 11:00 AM

Aug 2013
Maybe because there are plenty of people who enjoyed it for what it was. Crazy right?
Sep 28, 2014 11:07 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
gave it 6/10 too, didn't find it particularly funny nor relaxing :/

but as always it's #opinions, deal with it >.>
Sep 28, 2014 11:35 AM
Dec 2010
What better anime series were there this season anyway? Only Nozaki-kun is probably better than Barakamon.
Sep 28, 2014 12:07 PM
Nov 2013
I'd have to agree with OP. It seemed like a very generic healing anime, down to the nature setting, the cute kid, the quirky neighbors, the power of friendship/kindness theme, and the scenery shots. And there weren't really any great emotional moments in the show which was disappointing. Though I agree with the above poster, almost everything else this season was mediocre or terrible which is probably why its being rated so highly.
Sep 28, 2014 12:51 PM

Sep 2012
Mich666 said:
I think the same and I really don't know why people are rating this 9-10/10.
I'm not saying they can't like it but this is 6-7/10 show at best when you look at it realistically.
Maybe they haven't seen anything better?
Or they happy enough with those cheap, slapstick jokes and bit of slice-of-life that you can see in every other anime.

If you look back on ten past years for example, you would find tons of better daily life comedies then this.
The problem with young people nowadays is that their demands for good anime are pretty low and that they only look back on two past years at best. Anything older than that is history.

I look at it realisticaly and its a solid 8 for me. I have seen way more than you and I don't think there are many slice of life as good as this, the problem with people like you is that you automaticaly think that if someone likes it then he must be a newbie prefering new anime over holier than thou OLD SHOWS. Guess what people like it because it is good, its not like there was any hype surrounding it before it started airing and it got instant boost.
Also
Lanz16 said:
The anime series with too much fantasy are overrated!

Barakamon isn't!

Exactly.
Sep 29, 2014 1:10 PM

Dec 2012
I don't see why you would feel that way, especially since I find Barakamon to be miles better than Usagi Drop in a lot of ways.
Sep 29, 2014 3:16 PM

Dec 2012
The score it has right now (8.55) is perfect for it, I could personally push it up to an 8.60 because it deserves it. Was consistent all the way through and is a favorite.
Sep 30, 2014 2:27 AM

Jan 2013
I hate the word "overrated" so much now. Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun, Haikyuu!, and now Barakamon are all getting hit with this damn word. If you can't justify PROPERLY why this show is "overrated" then just shut up, because it really just seems like you hate the show or you have a show you like that isn't rated as high as them or were knocked down in the rankings because of them.
Signature removed. Because it was too kawaii for all you weeaboos.
Sep 30, 2014 3:40 AM
Oct 2013
Uber_Dewber said:
The score it has right now (8.55) is perfect for it, I could personally push it up to an 8.60 because it deserves it. Was consistent all the way through and is a favorite.

How the hell would you "personally push it up" to 8.60? Multiple accounts?
Sep 30, 2014 3:42 AM

May 2010
Tastes.
Sep 30, 2014 5:11 AM

Dec 2012
SolviteSekai said:
Objurgo said:

Most seasons are pretty bland.

The issue with this show is that the kids are voiced by real kids, and act like real kids.

So of course people expecting grown up anime kids with tits might be upset.

I don't find this show funny, but its definitely well made.
Yeah dude that's fair enough, this is definitely a hit or miss show
Sep 30, 2014 8:13 AM

Jul 2008
"I don't like it, because the show isn't what I want it to be."

Yeah, nice one.
Sep 30, 2014 8:32 AM

Aug 2013
It appeals to a large demographic.
Sep 30, 2014 8:50 AM

Nov 2009
Its good but a 8.55 is tooo high
-☾✩
Sep 30, 2014 8:55 AM

Apr 2014
I gave it a 6. That's decent for me. I didn't find it super special, I just found it kinda relaxing.
How high other people rated the show? I don't care about that stuff.
A stupid thread deserves a stupid answer!
Sep 30, 2014 8:59 AM

Jan 2013
otvku said:
I hate the word "overrated" so much now. Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun, Haikyuu!, and now Barakamon are all getting hit with this damn word. If you can't justify PROPERLY why this show is "overrated" then just shut up, because it really just seems like you hate the show or you have a show you like that isn't rated as high as them or were knocked down in the rankings because of them.

everything on mal is over rated because an 8 on mal is a 7 anywhere else
Sep 30, 2014 10:53 AM

Dec 2012
mbdsquad said:
Uber_Dewber said:

How the hell would you "personally push it up" to 8.60? Multiple accounts?
*facepalm* As in if I had it my way, that's what I would rate it at. That's the score I gave it personally.
Oct 1, 2014 7:17 AM

Sep 2011
when someone says something is over rated, their really saying "im insecure about my unpopular opinion on this"

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Oct 1, 2014 7:21 PM

Jun 2014
If only we all had your amazing perception and taste for this 10/10 show so we could see its actually 6.....
Let’s say you drink too much strawberry milk, and have to use the bathroom in the middle of the night. You don’t want to get up, but the urge to urinate is just too strong! You run to the bathroom, stand in front of the toilet, and let loose! You think that all your life has led to this moment! YOU'RE STILL IN BED! That feeling of lukewarm wetness spreads! But you can’t stop! THAT’S THE TRUTH OF THE STRAWBERRY MILK! DO YOU GET IT? ~ Gintoki
An unforeseen situation... An unexpected turn of events... In the face of those, you too will face your true self. — Makishima Shougo
Oct 2, 2014 9:09 AM

Feb 2012
JizzyHitler said:
when someone says something is over rated, their really saying "im insecure about my unpopular opinion on this"
you pretty much fucking nailed it man.
Oct 3, 2014 9:18 PM

Mar 2009
These "overrated" threads should be banned from MAL.
Oct 3, 2014 9:27 PM

Jul 2012
SolviteSekai said:

Definitely an 8. I like that it's scoring well with most MAL users but its not really a complete show nor did it get to the best part of the story (I didn't read it but I know it definitely didn't hit the climax or anything) so I can't really say it's a 9 level.
Oct 6, 2014 8:54 AM

Sep 2014
You should probably get some taste. I mean, seriously, this show is so great. I can't understand how shallow minded you are. People have different opinions but don't call something overrated just because your opinion says it's not that good. Grow up. If you're above 18, then that's a big problem.
Oct 7, 2014 10:37 AM

Oct 2013
I think OP should choke on a spoon
[/quote]
Oct 7, 2014 10:38 AM

Oct 2013
SuperRed said:
JD2411 said:
There has been a noticeable increase in the sexualisation of naru which I am not a fan of and I feel it weakens the main themes of the series.

So noticeable that absolutely nobody but you seems to have noticed, huh.

I think we found the pedo If relationships like these make you think of sexual things I'd stay away from kids
[/quote]
Oct 7, 2014 11:24 AM

Jun 2008
People have different opinions, get over it.
Besides, Usagi Drop had comedy in it too.
Oct 13, 2014 4:28 AM

Jan 2008
I just finished it and I agree it's nothing special - a nice, relaxing show after a hard day's work. There were some heartwarming moments but nothing to leave a lasting impression on me. It's tagged as a comedy but it did not really make me laugh. It was more like the "oh, I see what they did there...funny" kind of comedy, not the "laugh out loudly" one.

It is what it is and if people were expecting it to be something more, they were deluding themselves. It doesn't bother me that many people are rating it higher than me, I just do not share their opinion. It's a solid 6/10. I agree with the folks who say Nozaki is better, since even though it's not structured so well and not so polished as Barakamon, it's actually "laugh-out-loud" funny. It made me crack up many times :)
Jan 28, 2017 9:24 AM

Sep 2015
Okay, let's necrobump a bit. I wouldn't say it's overrated (because people tend to get butthurt about it), but I also don't understand the appeal of the show. Normally when I don't like something popular I at least have a grasp what others might see in it. Yes, it's funny at times, but just in a way that 'blowing a bit more air out of my nose' or maybe a have discrete smile funny. It doesn't have an overall pleasant atmosphere either. I didn't have much expectations, I didn't expect it to be something similar I've seen and still feel let down. That wouldn't be a problem (in fact it's not a problem), but scrolling through the reviews, I've barely see any that rates it a 7, one 6 and nothing below. That's some insanely consistent high ratings there. Even the widely accepted masterpieces (Spirited Away, Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu, FMA Brotherhood) has more controversy around them with some out of the line low ratings. And this one seems to be in some kind of vacuum.
Oct 16, 2018 9:17 AM

Jul 2011
elemeledudki said:
i started watcing this expecting something like usag drop( an anime that would give you warm and fuzzy felleing while wathcing it), but obviously its nothing like this, maybe its for a comedy? but then again, it rly isnt that funny, so i wanted to ask you what are you all seeing in this anime, for me its 6/10 anime

Same story here.

Started after Usagi Drop (9/10),
dropped right after 1st ep -_-

Not even 6 or 5 for me.. way below average imho.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Barakamon Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 27, 2014

336 by snowykevin »»
May 24, 7:36 PM

Poll: » Barakamon Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Aug 23, 2014

153 by Term4738 »»
Apr 25, 6:27 AM

Poll: » Barakamon Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 13, 2014

158 by Euonymus »»
Mar 20, 4:06 AM

Poll: » Barakamon Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 5, 2014

399 by Devonnius »»
Feb 20, 10:31 PM

Poll: » Barakamon Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 20, 2014

175 by Softhenic03 »»
Jan 24, 11:29 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.