Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Shikimori's Not Just a Cutie
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Apr 10, 2022 11:57 AM

Jul 2016
Can't get over the fact of Izumi's friend basically being normal high-schooler Bakugou lol.

Cute start overall. Shikimori and Izumi's relationship dynamic reminds me a lot of the couple from Tonikaku Kawaii so me liking their interactions is already a given.
Apr 10, 2022 1:22 PM

Feb 2014
Personally, I'm a bit surprised that the general reaction to this episode is more mixed than I expected it to be.

As for me, the first episode is rather cute and wholesome in a way. Izumi seems to have inspired him Touma Kamijou's infamous bad luck whatever he does, apart from being fortunate enough to be dating Shikimori, who is a proper beauty. Top choice with her VA, too. =D

Dago Kobo's production values here are very nice and I do like the visual style used both the OP and ED songs as well. It's a shame that the studio did get hit by a covid outbreak, so as much as I do hope delays won't happen to any of their shows this season, I won't hold my breath.

Overall, I think I'll like this show and I think I won't be bothered one bit if it does get repetitive.
Apr 10, 2022 1:54 PM
Oct 2019
Oh god this is terrible Lmao. At the end I could not help but crack up by how bad it was. This is literally incel bait at its prime. Nothing happened at all. Nothing was funny. Nothing was interesting. Just nothing. The characters were boring. I watched it 3 minutes ago and can’t remember anything the other people did or their names or anything. The whole point of this show is to say look at this beautiful girl and they can’t even do that right. The character designs of all other characters except shikimori are pretty bad. Nothing appealing about them whatsoever. And the colors they used are WAYYYY too colorful and saturated. Its actually hurting my eyes. Speaking of eyes, her eyes looked like they were trying to hard to make her look good. Overall, this is terrible and I wanted to stop watching after 5 minutes but continued hoping there would be something more, but there wasn’t. If I wanted to see a beautiful girl for 20 minutes, I’d rather stare at a still picture on pixiv. Dropped.
Apr 10, 2022 2:04 PM

Mar 2014
utterly cringe on bunch of forced love coupling scenes.
Apr 10, 2022 2:05 PM

Nov 2019
i don't know if you guys noticed but in the first episode the subtitles said bawling not bowling lmao XD
Apr 10, 2022 2:24 PM

Feb 2008
I was actually expecting that I would probably like this because I love female characters that have the cool thing going on. But, it wasn't actually that good to me, just ok. I was actually kind of expecting her to be cooler than what this episode depicted based on the synopsis. Like the first time where they show her "cool" side and she says "Jeez, don't cause me too much trouble." was perfect. But then each time after that, it fell flat to me. She is very good at protecting him, but not sure I would call her cool just because of that.

Her personality also doesn't really fit the vibe of what I would consider a cool character. Marin from dress up darling for example to me is cooler and I don't even think they were necessarily trying to make her cool.

If all this series is, is just her protecting him over and over again due to bad luck and calling it cool, then this is for sure probably not going to be for me. There needs to be more to it than just that.
MarchinBunnyApr 10, 2022 3:51 PM
I am become bunny, fluffing of worlds.
Apr 10, 2022 2:32 PM

Sep 2017
Ah this was so wholesome and fun. The gimmick of Izumi having bad luck and Shikimori having to protect him might get old but we'll see. I loved the end credits sequence. That was super charming.

What's great tho is the main cast started the series in a relationship so there's no immediate reason for me to criticize the relationship existing i.e. "it makes no sense that these people would get together etc etc." We'll see how I'll feel about their relationship as the series goes on, but so far I'm on board. It was just really wholesome. And the MC actually has a male friend god forbid. So that's pretty nice.
Apr 10, 2022 2:42 PM
Apr 2021
the show looks interesting and different from normal romances, which I look forward to, but I just dont feel the love between those two, they both blush when someone does sth like touching their hands or sth like that I don't get it aren't they like boyfriend and girlfriend, did they even kiss before???
Apr 10, 2022 2:50 PM

Apr 2013
I don't think I'll stick with this one until the end.
But I understand why people would like it. Idea that you can get a great girl while you are an average normie is appealing.
Apr 10, 2022 3:24 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Actual role reversal romance? Well that already makes this more interesting than the typical romcom depending on the execution
Apr 10, 2022 3:37 PM

Jul 2009
good lord that was dull. From the trailer I got the impression that shikimori would have a sort of dark side to her personality? not exactly like a yandere, something a bit more realistic. I was really looking forward to seeing a character like that, and the interesting dynamic between them that could have been explored. But turns out shes just a waifu with above average reflexes or something idk
Apr 10, 2022 3:43 PM
Jul 2021
muito fofinhos... já estou amando
Apr 10, 2022 4:12 PM
Jun 2020
is she a ninja or something?
Apr 10, 2022 5:50 PM

Apr 2016
where is my shikimori-san???????

I lost
Apr 10, 2022 6:13 PM

Aug 2019
The main character hit the jackpot with his girlfriend, she’s literally a goddess. I absolutely love her personality, particularly her badass side.

Also, the mc is the unluckiest person alive like terrible things always seem to happen to him
Sun_ChanApr 10, 2022 6:17 PM
Apr 10, 2022 6:14 PM

Jun 2015
Series like this are not supposed to be treated like a series with any sort of plot, and treat it more like Iyashikei series. Just chill and watch the mundanity of every episode/chapter without that criticizing yapper from inside your head. That way, you can enjoy it more.

But despite that, I can't honestly say that I thoroughly enjoy Shikimori-san. It's hard for me to say any sort of criticism because every criticism that I say may also be valid for my beloved series Otonari no Tenshi-sama which is similar to Shikimori-san.

I've only read a few chapters of the manga, but I feel reluctant to continue it as I quickly found it repetitive and Shikimori's coolness becoming the gimmick to the series. But most of all, I don't like Izumi's character. And no, it's not because of Shikimori's being the cool and powerful one in the relationship. I'm all in for cool GF. It's just Izumi is too meek for his own good and that leaves him like an empty character instead. To the point where seeing Izumi standing next to Shikimori feels off.

Good romances are always built between two "strong" character, not necessarily in sense of power but more in terms of characters' personality and dynamics. Examples:

- Araragi Koyomi and Senjougahara Hitagi (Monogatari Series)
- Lawrence Kraft and Holo (Spice and Wolf)

Or even I could argue that Fujimiya Amane and Shiina Mahiru from Otonari no Tenshi-sama is better than Shikimori and Izumi. That's of course just a biased hot take from me who loved Otonari no Tenshi-sama.

Overall, I can enjoy Shikimori-san just fine. Tis' my forte genre after all. But again, it feels off somewhere.
YosepRAApr 10, 2022 6:17 PM
Apr 10, 2022 6:29 PM

Jun 2015
I've read some chapters and I was curious on how they'd adapt very short chapters. It seems it's going to be like a sitcom then.
Apr 10, 2022 7:31 PM
Jun 2020
we finally able to see Izumi with his unbelievable luck or should I say unlucky-ness and the cool his beautiful and cool girlfriend Shikimori-san who saved him from all sort of things and one is a falling sign.

Not the strongest season opener but still is fun to watch.
Apr 10, 2022 8:27 PM

Oct 2015
Good start! Nice and fluffy with a side of cool.

Poor Izumi with that luck though
Apr 10, 2022 8:59 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Frankly, I don't get the hype behind that one.. it was pretty meh overall.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Apr 10, 2022 9:15 PM
Oct 2021
Ngl I cringed through the entire episode. The concept isn't terrible but it needs more characterization besides "MC bad at everything with girl good at everything." Hopefully the characters become less one dimensional as the show goes on.
Apr 10, 2022 9:27 PM

May 2021
Perfect Girlfriend: The Anime. Despite the hype, I think its just a chill SoL, one that includes Shikimori. I hope the origins of their relationship are explained. Would be dope if she has a dual personality/

Apr 10, 2022 9:46 PM
Jun 2019
Pretty slow start, could find myself rather bored throughout the first episode. Shikimori Micchon basically carried the first episode for me. But as with any romance anime, I remain hopeful that the characters' relationships development to blow me away by the end of the season.
Apr 11, 2022 12:43 AM
Aug 2021
Starting with the good first episode!

Micchon and Hachimitsu both are adorable

There is a difference between the words cute "kawaii" and cool "kakkoii" I love that

The OSTs are outstanding reminds me of Komi-san OSTs

Visuals are great especially the eyes

I'm looking forward to the next episode!
Apr 11, 2022 1:02 AM
Oct 2020
So what I'm trying to say is that I don't quite liked the voices of the characters. I don't exactly hate it but I'm not happy about it though. I am reading the manga of this anime for quite a while now, so I don't know whether it's only me but for me the shikimori san from manga is kinda serious type of cool girl. So, I was kinda expecting a little heavy voice!! I mean here her(as well as for mc it's ok because the author wrote a beta type character for him so acceptable) voice is too thin and kinda portray her immaturity!! But the character design for her makes her cool. So yea that's all what I'm trying to say.
But rest of the things are good❤️
Apr 11, 2022 1:27 AM
Feb 2018
Why are people saying Shikikimori is a contender to Marin? Marin is better in every way from eps 1.
It was a decent episode but dress up darling's ep 1 blows this out the water
Apr 11, 2022 2:01 AM
May 2020
shikimori is a true force of nature
Apr 11, 2022 4:42 AM

Mar 2008
It's cute but I don't feel like the characters were sold to me very well yet. Feels like I'm just expected to like them right off the bat and on top of that instantly accept Yuu is jynxed with no explanation behind it and nothing indicating any reason exists or does not exist. Why make such a central thing so vague early on? Not bad just feels weird for a first episode.

Kind of hard to believe Yuu would willingly think going bowling sounds like a good idea when there is so many ways that could go terribly wrong for him. I mean those heavy balls aren't a red flag? At least it didn't lead to an overly obvious result of a bowling ball foot drop.

Enough I will watch more.
Apr 11, 2022 5:22 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Nice for a 1st episode, I've been fully reading the manga so I know what to expect but it didn't disappoint me so far, Doga Kobo's style is nice to see mixed with this manga
Apr 11, 2022 8:00 AM

Dec 2020
EVERYONE SHUT UP THIS WAS SOO CUTE !!!!!!

honestly nothing special, perfect pretty girl and likes super plain guy. but why ?!! prob bc he's nice. literally just a Decent person. but im sensing something a lil different abt this so im so into it lol. its also a cool badass girl x unlucky guy. kinda a role reverse thingy

op was sooo good, i liked how it showed certain plot points that we can guess out of but they didnt show too much that we Know everything.

ive been wanting to read the manga for a bit, but im definitely gonna read it now lol
Apr 11, 2022 8:25 AM

May 2009
I like it that they start the show with a couple already together. That makes for an interesting plot, rather than having two characters falling in love and it all being about confessing. The character designs look pretty nice and even most background characters have unique features. Much appreciated ^^

People seem to be very excited about the main girl character. I don't think she's anything special honestly (yes dont kill me), but to everyone their tastes. The MC guy is somewhat... Unlucky, I guess? I don't really like the unlucky-trope nor does the MC really speak to me much. Oh well. Minor things atm. Definitely giving this show a shot. Feels like it's going to be chill :D
check out my twitch: https://twitch.tv/slowy
Apr 11, 2022 8:33 AM

Jun 2021
Shikomori is such a chad

i love the friend group already, it genuinely feels like they've known each other for a while

i love Bakubro already

the talk between Shikomori and Izumi at the end reminded me of the talk in episode 11 of Re:Zero
Apr 11, 2022 9:56 AM

Dec 2014
Seeing the luck and unlucky element of the MCs, will this be a plot twist + tragedy anime with the plot of doppelganger?

Or will this just a simply romcom anime?
Signature removed. Check your inbox
Apr 11, 2022 11:56 AM
Jan 2021
Tbh it's just one episode idk why y'all be hatin on it. Atleast give it some time before commenting shit like "this show is mid" , YK what really is mid , yo chances of gettin a girl like shikimori 💀
Apr 11, 2022 1:05 PM

Nov 2013
Hoh so the two are already in a relationship, not awkwardly shy or cringe. Interesting... ED was fun to watch. Can't say I'm interested though...
Apr 11, 2022 2:06 PM

Jul 2014
I remember when I came across a PV for the manga where Shikimori was voiced by Saori Hayami that made me interested in a future adaptation. Too bad she didn't keep the role for the anime. It's not like I don't like Saori Oonishi, but Saori Hayami was the one that caught my attention and made me look forward to this.

Shikimori is so cute... and cool haha. Despite my doubts, I really liked Saori Oonishi as Shikimori. A bit weird to hear Kaori (Arifureta) with a cool side though haha.

I'm not sure how to feel about Izumi, I don't dislike him but I can't say I'm a fan. His mother on the other hand, just a few seconds and I'm already a fan <3. What a nice MILF!

Hachimitsu's bowling method... I like that girl xD.

TFW Bakubro is real lol.

Holy crap that last save of Shikimori kicking the sign in the air. That was awesome!
Apr 11, 2022 2:56 PM
Jul 2016
It's so ~kawaii~.

I like how all the side characters are named after animals. We got a dog and cat pair. Then just "bee". Lmaooooo

I like how in the ending song, Izumi gets a nosebleed from protecting Shikimori from the soccer ball after she protects him so many times. Too pure!

What can I say. I'm a sucker for romance.
Apr 11, 2022 4:37 PM
Aug 2020
Don't have any problem with the characters yet but direction is average here.
Eyes look lifeless sometimes and some character designs remind me of cringe osamake.
It is not a good start for me.
Man... I had high hopes about this.
Apr 11, 2022 4:41 PM
May 2021
shikimori is a chad but other than that everything kind of sucks
Apr 11, 2022 6:29 PM

Aug 2019
This is laughably generic and the gimmick already got old..
Their relationship is so unrealistic too and the girl isn’t even that interesting. “I’m cool and protective but can also act cute too” is not gonna cut it.
Watching this episode reminded me of why I stopped watching random seasonal anime. I’ll give it a few more episodes though because why not.
Apr 11, 2022 9:05 PM
No.1 Nahida Simp

Jan 2017
The hype on this one is so high but ngl it's kinda disappointing. I mean it's good but I was expecting something more because it was hyped like it was one of the best thing in the world.

Well it's still a good watch since it's made by Doga Kobo. Good animation, good pacing, and good character designs.
misterreicchiApr 11, 2022 9:11 PM
Apr 11, 2022 9:11 PM
Jul 2016
first episode is boring probably will give this show another 5 more episode. hope its get better or will drop it at eps 6
Apr 12, 2022 12:00 AM

Jun 2020
... I don't even know what kind of feelings I should have about this
Apr 12, 2022 12:16 AM

Jan 2013
DimmuOli said:
RayReynolds said:

This isn't a relationship. This isn't a story. These are caricatures, not characters, and not even the fun, neurotic ones like Yamada. The constantly cut to an explosion of sparkly background makes that clear. There doesn't need to be life threatening drama or evil monsters running around, but if you're not going to give anything any depth, even the barest conflict, the slightest tinge of development, growth, maturing, epiphany… you're damning yourself to nothing but superficiality. And there aren't any wacky gags or slapstick as you'd find in these kinds of shows of the long ago. As if the problem with the magic girlfriend shows of yore like DearS or Sekirei was too much story and zaniness.

Completely agree with this. It's like the whole show is to make the ML looks like a bait for the FL to be badass. I mean, I was hoping for a more clever approach in their relationship, considering they're already a couple, except for the last scene, they barely looked like a established one. I expected Shikomori to have more depth, personality, but instead I got an obssesive girl that barely shine when she isn't with the MC and even so it fell flat. I can already see the unlucky gimmick getting old (for me it was enough to drop the show). Not a single character had depth or charisma, it's more of the same. It's a show to glorify the FL and nothing else.
@DimmuOli

You fellas are talking about the manga, right? I know you aren't writing this fucking nonsense after seeing just one episode of the show.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Apr 12, 2022 1:56 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Pink girl and purple boy. Just what i needed.

Looks like there's a lot of flames here, but its actually pretty understandable. After all they couldn't handle how cool Shikimori is and just spitting non sense hate over how unrealistic their relationship, just like those three dude classmate over there, but more worst. Kekw.

My honest opinion here is, this is not really so bad. Nothing really stands out, but i can see myself enjoying this for one and two pieces of nice little wholesome part of the relationship. Other than that its nothing that much stands, and prolly that's where all haters coming out of the cave to nitpick it. Like, someone above feels yikes because the design reminded it to osamake? My god, you so funny, until i don't even know you were joking right there or not.

But i guess its the same for me, then. So i am just gonna enjoy this as same as how i enjoy a frickin winter waifu bait show called Sono Bisque. The end.
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Apr 12, 2022 5:56 AM
Nov 2016
LostSpectre said:
DimmuOli said:

Completely agree with this. It's like the whole show is to make the ML looks like a bait for the FL to be badass. I mean, I was hoping for a more clever approach in their relationship, considering they're already a couple, except for the last scene, they barely looked like a established one. I expected Shikomori to have more depth, personality, but instead I got an obssesive girl that barely shine when she isn't with the MC and even so it fell flat. I can already see the unlucky gimmick getting old (for me it was enough to drop the show). Not a single character had depth or charisma, it's more of the same. It's a show to glorify the FL and nothing else.
@DimmuOli

You fellas are talking about the manga, right? I know you aren't writing this fucking nonsense after seeing just one episode of the show.

I don't know about the guy, but I watched too much anime to reach this conclusion. It did not resonate with me period and I found someone whom I share some thougths, and actually it's not that hard to figure out considering the studio, premise, and most things that were obvious in episode 1. To each their own my dude.
Apr 12, 2022 6:00 AM

Jan 2013
DimmuOli said:
LostSpectre said:
@DimmuOli

I don't know about the guy, but I watched too much anime to reach this conclusion. It did not resonate with me period and I found someone whom I share some thougths, and actually it's not that hard to figure out considering the studio, premise, and most things that were obvious in episode 1. To each their own my dude.
No. You're both talking out of your ass here. Imagine thinking you have this much insight on the series just from one episode.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Apr 12, 2022 6:47 AM
Jul 2019
Its pretty much wat i expected from a SOL romance
Apr 12, 2022 6:48 AM
Jul 2019
Still think it would be enjoyable to an extent since I like SOL
Apr 12, 2022 7:10 AM
Nov 2016
LostSpectre said:
DimmuOli said:

No. You're both talking out of your ass here. Imagine thinking you have this much insight on the series just from one episode.

Whatever you say, dude. I already dropped the show from episode 1, why as a manga reader I would drop this in episode 1? If I didn't like the manga I wouldn't even try the anime, why bother? I saw it and pretty much didn't like anything. It's the same troupes of every other anime over and over again and first episode aimed to make Shikimori look good/cool at all costs with effects and such, stereotyped classmates that teases and praise her, MC failing everytime to make SHikimori looks good and her life only matters because of the MC, there's not a single dialogue that indicates some kind of personality whatsoever. It's an anime about an obssessive girlfriend (that didn't looked like a established relationship) with fanservice in a way to make you simp for the female lead in a predictable plot of unlucky MC getting saved. If this is enough for you to watch the same thing over and over fine, it isn't for me, period.
Pages (8) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kawaii dake ja Nai Shikimori-san Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 7, 2022

168 by SenseiSempai-san »»
25 minutes ago

Poll: » Kawaii dake ja Nai Shikimori-san Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 30, 2022

172 by SenseiSempai-san »»
56 minutes ago

Poll: » Kawaii dake ja Nai Shikimori-san Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 23, 2022

172 by SenseiSempai-san »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Kawaii dake ja Nai Shikimori-san Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Apr 16, 2022

206 by SenseiSempai-san »»
Yesterday, 4:41 AM

Poll: » Kawaii dake ja Nai Shikimori-san Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 14, 2022

152 by jairo3634 »»
May 9, 1:19 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.