Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Mar 19, 2021 6:39 AM
Feb 2021
ssjokg said:
MightyM17 said:

The opening lyrics pretty much spell out and also the Satokowashi eps where Rika pretty much does not want to actively choose between the school and Satoko and also guilt trips Satoko into having to follow her there making promises she doesn't really keeps.

I do agree that Satoko's reaction is overboard, but it's like Yasu's case where a small thing like Battler's "sin" is what caused them to snap and cause the tragedy in Umineko

Satoko's pov means nothing because we never saw any real attempt from either to keep being close. Or wait saw someone trying: Rika.

MightyM17 said:

Because she is still a passive looper who does the bares minimum and waits for miracles to stack up so she can win XD

Even in Minagoroshi, K1 did almost ALL the work and in Matsuri, Hanyuu carried.

That's just how Rika is, dude.
Sure lets ignore all of Matsuri and Rika's declaration in ep2.

I guess you can consider trying to talk to your so called best friend 2 times in the span of 2 years "trying" :/

And yeah Satoko didn't ask for help, but I that fits her character perfectly in any case. And when she was actually honest with Rika she was repaid with betrayal.

Matsuri? You mean the "miracle" fragment that was carried by Hanyuu? And we know how Rika plays her loops, idk why you expected her to be this super active player that she never was.
Mar 19, 2021 6:41 AM

Oct 2010
ssjokg said:
You keep focusing on the clinic closing when we only saw Keichi noticing. Rika was still watching like an idiot when she saw everything unfold when Tomitake sent the Banken. She had no idea what was happening(conspiracy closing) before that.

Also kinda late for Rika pov when we should have had that since ep1 AND if Sotsu shows that she knew then this would contradict her actions, or lack of them, in Gou's first half.

That scene really just means she didn't know why those things were happening, it doesn't mean she didn't know they happened.

And, no, Rika knowing the conspiracy closes, but not knowing why wouldn't contradict anything we've seen later in Gou. It just means the bloodhound scene where she is suddenly grabbed by one didn't happen in the previous arcs.

She doesn't actually need to have some kind of massive off-screen role. She just needs to be shown reacting to it, and then putting the conspiracy to the side since it's not her main issue anymore, and the fact we're getting a new Hanyuu sea of fragments scene points to us getting more Rika point of view scenes in Sotsu.

Tsukumo_Yuuma said:

It's just for the old viewers, to let them know it's not the same reasons/culprit again, or to make them come up with theories. And like i said before the clinic goes through similar changes in every fragment (other than Matsuri) after Tomitake and Takano's "death", Rika's only reaction there would've been "oh it's happening again because they died". (and that scene wasn't even in the manga, so it's probably really not important at all).
And like i said before similar thing happened to Shion, so it's not weird for Ryukishi07/the staff to make Rika like that just for convenience like they did with Shion. (or like R07 ignoring the question of "why doesn't Hanyuu follow Tomitake and Takano" . But here he just does it more often.)

Shion's issue is kind of different since she disappeared in the future timeline of Satokowashi and at this point we don't know if we're getting an Answer arc for that. That one might be just a combo of writer and production laziness (note how they didn't even bother making high school designs for any of the original club members aside from Satoko and Rika - even though Mion gave Rika and Satoko their new uniforms and still had some contact with the club she was off-screen until they got to college). Also, the clinic only closes like that in other fragments after Rika is dead.
NeonDZMar 19, 2021 6:49 AM
Mar 19, 2021 6:43 AM

Dec 2015
MightyM17 said:

Matsuri? You mean the "miracle" fragment that was carried by Hanyuu? And we know how Rika plays her loops, idk why you expected her to be this super active player that she never was.

Is expecting her to do at least something from what she did in Matsuri considered "super active"? she could've only talked with Tomitake in Onidamashi about Takano and the conspiracy and i would've been satisfied tbh.

May 2015
Thus the season ends on a Takano flashback arc.

It's a cool explanation for the new fans, but I have to wonder who actually wrote that letter in the photo album? Was it Satoko mimicking her father's writing style, or actually her father who took a 1 in a million chance that worked out due to memories bleeding through?

Interesting either way. Can't wait for Sotsu to wrap up the story!

Aug 2009
MightyM17 said:
ssjokg said:

Satoko's pov means nothing because we never saw any real attempt from either to keep being close. Or wait saw someone trying: Rika.

I guess you can consider trying to talk to your so called best friend 2 times in the span of 2 years "trying" :/

And yeah Satoko didn't ask for help, but I that fits her character perfectly in any case. And when she was actually honest with Rika she was repaid with betrayal.

Satoko's pov. We literally saw nothing. Weird how some of you people keep saying that RIka surely did something behind the scenes but when Satoko's crazy pov happens we have to believe that Rika tried two times only.

Oh no, Rika forgot a promise from two years ago. How cruel.

Yeah all of it was Hanyuu huh? Rika did absolutely nothing huh?

Sure okay. Let this be your interpretation.
Mar 19, 2021 6:55 AM
Dec 2018
ssjokg said:
MightyM17 said:

The opening lyrics pretty much spell out and also the Satokowashi eps where Rika pretty much does not want to actively choose between the school and Satoko and also guilt trips Satoko into having to follow her there making promises she doesn't really keeps.

I do agree that Satoko's reaction is overboard, but it's like Yasu's case where a small thing like Battler's "sin" is what caused them to snap and cause the tragedy in Umineko

MightyM17 said:

Because she is still a passive looper who does the bares minimum and waits for miracles to stack up so she can win XD

Even in Minagoroshi, K1 did almost ALL the work and in Matsuri, Hanyuu carried.

That's just how Rika is, dude.

Just because she knows all of the "rules" doesn't change the fact that she isn't a passive participant. Hell, she probably thought that she was only going to deal with Takano, and literally nothing else.
Mar 19, 2021 6:58 AM

Dec 2015
NeonDZ said:
ssjokg said:
You keep focusing on the clinic closing when we only saw Keichi noticing. Rika was still watching like an idiot when she saw everything unfold when Tomitake sent the Banken. She had no idea what was happening(conspiracy closing) before that.

Also kinda late for Rika pov when we should have had that since ep1 AND if Sotsu shows that she knew then this would contradict her actions, or lack of them, in Gou's first half.

That scene really just means she didn't know why those things were happening, it doesn't mean she didn't know they happened.

And, no, Rika knowing the conspiracy closes, but not knowing why wouldn't contradict anything we've seen later in Gou. It just means the bloodhound scene where she is suddenly grabbed by one didn't happen in the previous arcs.

She doesn't actually need to have some kind of massive off-screen role. She just needs to be shown reacting to it, and then putting the conspiracy to the side since it's not her main issue anymore, and the fact we're getting a new Hanyuu sea of fragments scene points to us getting more Rika point of view scenes in Sotsu.

Tsukumo_Yuuma said:

It's just for the old viewers, to let them know it's not the same reasons/culprit again, or to make them come up with theories. And like i said before the clinic goes through similar changes in every fragment (other than Matsuri) after Tomitake and Takano's "death", Rika's only reaction there would've been "oh it's happening again because they died". (and that scene wasn't even in the manga, so it's probably really not important at all).
And like i said before similar thing happened to Shion, so it's not weird for Ryukishi07/the staff to make Rika like that just for convenience like they did with Shion. (or like R07 ignoring the question of "why doesn't Hanyuu follow Tomitake and Takano" . But here he just does it more often.)

Shion's issue is kind of different since she disappeared in the future timeline of Satokowashi and at this point we don't know if we're getting an Answer arc for that. That one might be just a combo of writer and production laziness (note how they didn't even bother making high school designs for any of the original club members aside from Satoko and Rika - even though Mion gave Rika and Satoko their new uniforms and still had some contact with the club she was off-screen until they got to college). Also, the clinic only closes like that in other fragments after Rika is dead.

We'll see about that in Sotsu then. If you'll insist that they for sure will explain it later then i can't say that they for sure won't (i think they won't but ofc we can't be 100% sure).
I actually really hope they'll show her at least trying to talk to Tomitake or that she knew anything, but i can't be optimistic after we said that about many things and they didn't explain them (like Mion being absent from 1984 Watanagashi for some reason, or Shion's nonexistence. Or Satoko forgetting everything she learned in Minagoroshi even so every club member carried their development from the previous fragments).
Tsukumo_YuumaMar 19, 2021 7:02 AM
Mar 19, 2021 6:58 AM
Dec 2018
ssjokg said:
MightyM17 said:

Satoko's pov. We literally saw nothing. Weird how some of you people keep saying that RIka surely did something behind the scenes but when Satoko's crazy pov happens we have to believe that Rika tried two times only.

Hanyuu quite literally made that fragment for Rika. It's called a "miracle" fragment for a reason. It would never have occurred had Hanyuu not directly intervened.
Mar 19, 2021 7:16 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
jaw201 said:
Easily a 9/10 for Gou, but a true rating really can't be given until after Sotsu is finished. It would be like rating Higurashi without Kai.

Don't see your point.
Everyone supposedly did that, what S1 did was set in S1, S2 did NOT made S1 better or worst IMO.
Mar 19, 2021 7:32 AM

Jul 2019
Yandere Satoko is best Satoko.
Life is a despicable endurance race
Mar 19, 2021 8:10 AM
Jun 2014
I'm biased because I don't like Umineko that much, but this season just wasn't it for me. It's good on its own, but I just couldn't like it as much as other installments. It's not the worst because Kira exists, though.
Mar 19, 2021 8:27 AM

Jul 2008
TweedleDane said:
hold on a minute ,i had to watch umineko before this ? what , why? i thought that was just an alternative setting with new characters and nothing to do with the og ?
i didnt really see this season going off rail from the OG's settings and characters , so should i actually watch umineko ?

I don't think you need Umineko to watch Gou. Also, watching the anime wouldn't help at all (it would have to be the VNs, and mostly 5-8).
Mar 19, 2021 8:36 AM

May 2020
please guys get a life, this anime sucks and I'm hoping so much that Satoko is NOT Lambda...
Mar 19, 2021 9:12 AM
Jul 2011
goib1234 said:
If there isn't tragedy, Rika can get out from Hinamizawa and go to St. Lucia. So Satoko makes the tragedy by herself. She will ruin all redemption moments into hell.

I will agree if she injects the vaccine to all students/teachers in St. Lucia rather than Hinamizawa villagers.

This is where I was lost. I thought that the reason Rika wants to leave is because she experienced tragedy. But if there isn't tragedy then she will not want to leave Hinamizawa probably anymore. so what is the reason behind what Satoko is even doing and the new plot of a next season? Shouldn't they have just left it at Satoko finding the loop where Takano decides to not go through with the tragedy anymore and then Rika will not feel like she needs to leave??
Mar 19, 2021 9:13 AM
Feb 2021
Tsukumo_Yuuma said:
MightyM17 said:

Is expecting her to do at least something from what she did in Matsuri considered "super active"? she could've only talked with Tomitake in Onidamashi about Takano and the conspiracy and i would've been satisfied tbh.

She tried to do things to be fair. She would have defeated Rule X if not for Satoko murking things up
Mar 19, 2021 9:16 AM
Feb 2021
ssjokg said:
MightyM17 said:

Never said she did nothing but it's a fact that Matsuri was carried by Hanyuu just like Miotsukushi was carried by Rika and Keiichi.

And forgetting a promise like thst, made towards your best friend? Pretty insensitive

And what of Satoko's POV? If we had Rika's all we'd see is her spending her time studying and drinking tea with the ojous
Mar 19, 2021 9:22 AM
Sep 2008
Welp, if it wasn't sure before, it seems damn sure now with how much featherine likes Satoko + the extreme emphasis on certain in this episode
Mar 19, 2021 9:24 AM

May 2020
MightyM17 said:
ssjokg said:

Never said she did nothing but it's a fact that Matsuri was carried by Hanyuu just like Miotsukushi was carried by Rika and Keiichi.

And forgetting a promise like thst, made towards your best friend? Pretty insensitive

And what of Satoko's POV? If we had Rika's all we'd see is her spending her time studying and drinking tea with the ojous

We keep returning to the same few points again and again. Im tired of typing the same things over and over again so Im not gonna respons unless you bring new points forward.

Hanyuu created Matsuri by combining Fragment pieces. Rika was the one who used thise pieces to her advantage. This is insane. If you're denying widely understood information then there is no point in continuing this discussion.

I think Youve misunderstood Miostsukushi. Its about Keichii and Rika trying to solve everybodys problems. Yet they by themselves would have failed to stop Takano without help from others. You know how Mio ends right?

Besides the current cannonical (sort of kind of) version of it is the Kizuna one? Which has Hanyuu pocessing Rika. Here you can make the argument of Hanyuu doing most of the work. Not in Matsuri.

I dont know what world youre living in. People dont keep promises in real life mistakenly or because they just cant.
You want to destroy someone because they coukdnt keep a promise?

Satokos pov is biased. I know what youre going to say but hear me out. They spent months upon months in St Lucia. Are you seriously telling us that they only interacted 3 or so times?

If you start changing already concrete information then this argument becomes pointless, worthless and irrelevant. At that point youre basically talking about fanfiction

Lets see who backs up your idea of Matsuris result being soley Hanyuu's work.
ChargecoulombMar 19, 2021 9:43 AM
Mar 19, 2021 10:05 AM

Aug 2009
I’m glad we got to see some more of Takano. I loved the series and I’m looking forward to the next one.
Mar 19, 2021 10:14 AM

Aug 2009
VampireXxBrianna said:
goib1234 said:
If there isn't tragedy, Rika can get out from Hinamizawa and go to St. Lucia. So Satoko makes the tragedy by herself. She will ruin all redemption moments into hell.

I will agree if she injects the vaccine to all students/teachers in St. Lucia rather than Hinamizawa villagers.

This is where I was lost. I thought that the reason Rika wants to leave is because she experienced tragedy. But if there isn't tragedy then she will not want to leave Hinamizawa probably anymore. so what is the reason behind what Satoko is even doing and the new plot of a next season? Shouldn't they have just left it at Satoko finding the loop where Takano decides to not go through with the tragedy anymore and then Rika will not feel like she needs to leave??

Even if Satoko stops Takano, or if Takano decides on her own to stop, Rika has already lived 100 years in the loops trying to defeat Takano(who she didnt even know was her real enemy till the very last loop when she defeats her).

What Satoko is doing is messing with the very last loop Rika was originally trapped in.
Mar 19, 2021 10:34 AM

Jul 2016
Chargecoulomb said:
Expecting more Shion in Sotsu. Satokos big sis has suprisingly been absent for most of Gou.

Its more or less clear that Eua is playing Satoko and manipulating her. Considering if Eua is Featherine she probably wants the cat as her price not Satoko.

Nothing much in 24 to speculate or discuss on. Were there any interesting details other than the locked drug?

We now know for sure that Satoko plans on exploiting her memory-altering powers, so considering the fact that the entirety of Satokowashi-hen takes place before the first episode, who knows who else got the Teppei treatment.
Mar 19, 2021 10:48 AM

Aug 2018
Great season of Higurashi! Glad to see that we will get more of it soon.

Danpmss said:
Nice episode overall, and, as expected, this was more of a "Question Arc" situation.

Interesting reveals and confirmations with the whole Takano plot, and most amusingly, it seems that Ryukishi is putting some effort in making this truly approachable and comprehensible for newcomers with the major plot point revisiting.

Remains the question whether he will succeed in doing so or not when the Answer Arcs hit.

Cool episode, but as for Gou overall, it's impossible to judge it properly until I see the bigger picture in Sotsu.

Intriguing implications so far in.
Gou gets a ???/10, because it's virtually impossible to judge it as is, much like it was with Higurashi's first season back in the day, without Kai.

I'll make sure to give it a fairly good score on MAL so that it at least stays where it should, above 7, as it's overall good anyway.

Thinking the same as you here. Hope next season it will be as good as this one, or even better!
Mar 19, 2021 11:03 AM

Jul 2016
DarkXion said:
Mixed feelings on yandere Satoko. Even after learning the truth and how much Rika has suffered Satoko only uses it to make herself even more dangerous. Watching her more active intervention compared to Rika's approach is really interesting and her mindset of discarding everything that won't be in front of her at the end makes Satoko very scary. Probably one of my most favorite arcs in that franchise.
When Teppei of all characters can make you feel something I think they've done well.
It also makes sense of why Satoshi hasn't been mentioned very much this season.

Overall I'm pretty happy with how this sequel turned out. But I wish we got to the new content sooner. Up until episode 14 this has been similar to the original with a twist of someone else being succumbing to H-syndrome at the end instead.
Glad they made the best out of it but it was still boring going through old ground. Anyone who saw the original arcs already knew everyone was going to die. But had to wait 4 weeks/episodes for it to happen.

Also, wonder what that snapping is for.
Rika was doing it too, is it a way to enter the realm of the gods for a second or just for aesthetic purposes? Either way it's looks cool.

Pretty excited for the sequel and how they handle it.

To me, the old content in the first cour was super-necessary because without it, the build-up to Satokowashi-hen and the entire mystery aspect of Higurashi Gou wouldn't be there. There were actually more differences between the original Higurashi arcs and the respective arcs in Gou than just the end-result demise. Things like the statue of Oyashiro-sama, Satoko being unharmed in the shower, Ooishi's presence in Tataridamashi-hen, etc giving us clues towards finding the culprit while raising more questions about what else is happening behind the scenes.

Yeah, the finger-snapping is an aesthetic symbolic abrupt gesture that basically translates to "yep, done with this world; onto the next". Rika snaps when she's about to die and ready to try again. Satoko snaps when she commits suicide to repeat whatever events she's playing with/learning from.
Mar 19, 2021 11:07 AM

May 2018
oh hey we see takano's backstory again. I wonder what slaughter ensues in the next season haha, Satoko is even more crazy and deluded than ever now

overall a good end but a pointless first 15-ish episodes.

4/10
Mar 19, 2021 11:34 AM

Jul 2016
ssjokg said:

This^, except the Kira part.

I wont bother repeating myself about the butchering of character and story.

The only thing this ep did for me was, AT LEAST, THANFULLY, confirm that Takano wasnt persuaded by some 9 year old.

But you are telling me that the only reason Rika was forced into a 100 year journey was because Takano didnt want to open a probably-non-existent-prior-to-Gou album that conveniently had a letter by her demented grandfather telling her to stop?

Why wasnt she and others affected by the loops when Rika was the only looper? Why was Keichi treated as special in the OG?

I was also wondering what bullshit way Satoko would be shown getting H173. I was wrong for expecting something better.

3/10.

Doubt Sotsu will change anything and even if it does, the execution of this season was bad anyway.

You weren't very clear about the supposed butchering of character and story; from what I recall, you gave a vague outline and didn't elaborate much further.

Not at all; Rika wasn't "forced into a 100 year journey because Takano didnt want to open a probably-non-existent-prior-to-Gou album". Takano's motivation for abandoning her conspiracy was partially motivated by her grandfather's dying wish in the letter, but it was MAJORLY influenced by the realization that she and her grandfather's work (the latter being the single most important driving force behind everything she's ever done) were being exploited and eventually would be thrown away as trash. Without Satoko tampering with her memories for her to come to this realization, the "rules" of Rika's 100-year journey would still remain.

Considering how this episode debunked a good chunk of your comments about the previous episode, I don't know why you'd prefer to make rhetorical questions and conclude with a 3/10 rather than actually discussing and asking questions.
Mar 19, 2021 11:43 AM

Jul 2016
Ranacchi said:
I completely forgot who the blond haired lady is. Is she Satoko's mom?? (did they even explain her role to begin with?)

You know what, I'm just gonna watch the OG and see if that answers anything

What I liked about this show were the OP and ED, and the artstyle

The blond lady's name is Takano. If it helps, she's the lady who's always with Tomitake on the night of Watanagashi. For sure, the OG anime will help you understand her role in the story better.

I haven't seen much talk about the OP and ED. I agree; visually and musically, they just blew me away (and gave me a little bit of vertigo when I saw the ED for the first time).
Mar 19, 2021 12:15 PM
Jan 2019
So Satoko is Lambdadelta confirmed? Thats fucked up. These new seasons are basically a prequel to Umineko explaining the origin of the Witches. And the origin of fucking Lambdadelta is a High School drama. LOL

Fuck that. This sucks.
Mar 19, 2021 12:30 PM
Dec 2018
VampireXxBrianna said:
goib1234 said:

Rika wants to leave because she had been trapped in Hinamizawa for 100 years. The point of Satoko breaking the bird cage is so that she will control if and when Rika is allowed to leave the new set of loops. Satoko is trying to break Rika's will and her desire to leave Hinamizawa and once that is done, Rika will be allowed to leave the new bird cage that Satoko has created.
jaw201Mar 19, 2021 12:34 PM
Mar 19, 2021 12:43 PM

Aug 2009
Rinkusan said:
ssjokg said:

This^, except the Kira part.

I wont bother repeating myself about the butchering of character and story.

The only thing this ep did for me was, AT LEAST, THANFULLY, confirm that Takano wasnt persuaded by some 9 year old.

But you are telling me that the only reason Rika was forced into a 100 year journey was because Takano didnt want to open a probably-non-existent-prior-to-Gou album that conveniently had a letter by her demented grandfather telling her to stop?

Why wasnt she and others affected by the loops when Rika was the only looper? Why was Keichi treated as special in the OG?

I was also wondering what bullshit way Satoko would be shown getting H173. I was wrong for expecting something better.

3/10.

Doubt Sotsu will change anything and even if it does, the execution of this season was bad anyway.

You weren't very clear about the supposed butchering of character and story; from what I recall, you gave a vague outline and didn't elaborate much further.

Not at all; Rika wasn't "forced into a 100 year journey because Takano didnt want to open a probably-non-existent-prior-to-Gou album". Takano's motivation for abandoning her conspiracy was partially motivated by her grandfather's dying wish in the letter, but it was MAJORLY influenced by the realization that she and her grandfather's work (the latter being the single most important driving force behind everything she's ever done) were being exploited and eventually would be thrown away as trash. Without Satoko tampering with her memories for her to come to this realization, the "rules" of Rika's 100-year journey would still remain.

Considering how this episode debunked a good chunk of your comments about the previous episode, I don't know why you'd prefer to make rhetorical questions and conclude with a 3/10 rather than actually discussing and asking questions.

You still think Satoko can manipulate memories at will.

I now understand that I was a real moron for trying to argue with you. Please never reply to me again.
Mar 19, 2021 12:49 PM
Dec 2018
rholeros said:
So Satoko is Lambdadelta confirmed? Thats fucked up. These new seasons are basically a prequel to Umineko explaining the origin of the Witches. And the origin of fucking Lambdadelta is a High School drama.

Not necessarily. Gou certainly does more to indicate the actual order of the WTC series. In fact, it very definitively tells us that Higurashi is in fact a Sequel to Ciconia. Noting that it's only after Higurashi/(Gou) that "Bernkastel" becomes a wandering witch with Lambda in tow, with Umineko occurring last Chronologically. Basically Lambda already existed before Higurashi, (most likely in Ciconia) but for some reason was thrown into Higurashi without her previous memories of the last world she was in. Or if we want to lean into Ciconia even more, it just confirms that every single WTC is just part of one giant brain in a jar simulation.
Mar 19, 2021 2:04 PM

Oct 2014
Forgot to say in my first post but...
The chat between Okonogi and Takano.

Okonogi Referred to Takano as the Tail of a Lizard.
And the genius translator turned it to "Captain who sinks with the ship"
Completely the same meaning...

CMYK said:
fancyjasper said:
I have to admit I have an extremely hard time understanding how someone who appreciated the original anime series or the VN could enjoy Gou.

Offering a bigger WTC perspective probably won't do it, so here's this. Someone just dropped it a few moments ago from the VN:
Are you trying to say that better ending than Matsuribayashi, is an ending where they make up with Takano. Which is "Gou" or "Sotsu", just like we've seen with eternal suffering of one person killing their friend for eternity?

vegeta8639 said:
In other words, more and more plot convenience stacked on top of each other. Takano just happened to leave the drug that Satoko wanted in an insecure location where a 9 year old could sneak in without any sort of keys/tools and she used EXACTLY the type of suitcase that could be exploited by Satoko's specific time looping power.
Yeah, that's pretty much it.

Bantarific said:
-Takano opens the safe right after awakening visibly shaken from a shard flashback in which she sees her Grandfather's research getting trampled again as a result of her actions and failure, and then the phone-call compounds that. Just one or the likely wouldn't have caused her to look at the scrapbook, and since she's never given up before, it's almost a certainty that the phonecall alone wouldn't do it.
Yeah, that is exactly what is weird.
Takano never let anything phase her, she did anything she needed to reach her goal, she had absolute will to reach a world she sought for... with certainty.
So yeah this doesn't quite add up.
Also interesting how they're going to make Satoko turn up Lambda when Takano was supposedly backed by her.

MightyM17 said:
Seeing people actually think the first part is irrelevant is funny. Sotsu will finally give us proper answers as to what happened there.
Sotsu will finally answer us how irrelevant the first was actually was.

NeonDZ said:
It's hard to say since we don't get her point of view there. She probably learned about the clinic closing before Keiichi since she actually goes there often. We're going back to those early stories in Sotsu, so we might actually get to see her reactions there.
We're going to have to see these question arcs for the 3rd time? Dear god.
Just out of curiosity, what answers you think would be shown us which we already don't know about or which would actually mean something?

NeonDZ said:
He said after 23 and 24 we'd see Satoko in a new light. People assumed it'd be a more positive characterization, but at this point, I'd guess he just meant "She's totally Lambdadelta".
Did they say Satoko, or just Houjou?
Weren't they just meaning Teppei xD

MightyM17 said:
What happened to Satoko isn't only her fault. Both friends need some soul searching in order to get out of this situation, Gou would never have happened if Rika wasn't greedy and actually thought of her friends as real people rather than acessories.
Yeah, imagine that all broken deep friendships would result in murdering yandere psychopaths.

Gar_Logan said:
I don't think you need Umineko to watch Gou. Also, watching the anime wouldn't help at all (it would have to be the VNs, and mostly 5-8).
That may be so, but what about Sotsu?
I just hope Sotsu won't be ruining&spoiling Umineko too.

jaw201 said:
This. LOL
It sometime seems like MAL contains some of the dumbest people on the internet at times.
^^ This.
People who give this 10/10 are just ridiculous.
Intelligent gets through situations which wise avoids.
Mar 19, 2021 2:08 PM

Aug 2009
Hulio said:

The translator has been doing her own thing since ep1.

Apparently every wannabe writer can be hired by funimation.
Mar 19, 2021 2:09 PM

May 2014
Chargecoulomb said:
fancyjasper said:

Oh yeah, how could I forget that! Whenever I think of the ending to Higurashi I always think of Matsuribayashi. I think it just left more of an impact. But yeah, Saikoroshi is really great too. I've only seen the arc adapted in Rei, I should read it sometime.

Miotsukushi is the best arc imo. Have you read it?
The translation both versions are out now.
https://github.com/07th-mod/higurashi-console-arcs

Sadly I haven't yet. Same goes for all the extra arcs outside of the core 8. I think I have all the patches downloaded already actually, so I'll read them eventually for sure. Heard nothing but good things about Miotsukushi. Was that one written by Ryukishi? If I recall a lot of the extra arcs were written by different people, could be wrong there though.

Mod Edit: Removed quote of deleted post.
anime-primeApr 9, 2021 4:45 AM
Mar 19, 2021 2:16 PM

Jul 2008
Random question about Takano's grandfather.

Is his research actually bad? If HS is a real thing and he's dedicated his life to researching it, why does literally everyone he shows it to think it's BS?
Mar 19, 2021 2:19 PM

Aug 2009
Gar_Logan said:

Is his research actually bad? If HS is a real thing and he's dedicated his life to researching it, why does literally everyone he shows it to think it's BS?

Good question. Something political? That's the reason Tokyo let used Takano anyway.

No matter how bs it may sound on his paper others should at least thing "but what if?".
Mar 19, 2021 2:23 PM

Jul 2008
Hulio said:

But you are aware that "Tail of a Lizard" isn't an accurate English translation, correct?

He's referencing the phrase トカゲの尻尾切り, which means evading blame for a transgression by pinning it on a subordinate and abandoning them. Or to be shorter, "scapegoating."

I think saying "the captain must go down with the ship," while maybe not literal, still flows well with the scene, since they are going to pin the operation on her as the leader and everyone else can get off scot free.
Mar 19, 2021 2:42 PM

Apr 2009
Gar_Logan said:

Iirc some people in Tokyo were genuinely interested in it as a chemical weapon, but the whole thing sounds like bullshit to the average person.

It's also only technically correct since Rika doesn't have a mind controlling parasite in her brain.

Mod Edit: Removed quote of deleted post.
anime-primeApr 9, 2021 4:46 AM

Mar 19, 2021 2:43 PM

Jul 2008
Jin_uzuki said:
Gar_Logan said:

Iirc some people in Tokyo were genuinely interested in it as a chemical weapon, but the whole thing sounds like bullshit to the average person.

It's also only technically correct since Rika doesn't have a mind controlling parasite in her brain.

Yeah I understood the "Tokyo" aspect of utilizing it, but I thought it was strange that it seemed like other scientists were also discrediting it completely. (Though I guess if he was wrong about the parasite aspect maybe people just discounted the entire theory?)
Mar 19, 2021 2:47 PM

Oct 2014
Gar_Logan said:

From what I remember, no, his research wasn't that bad, not as detailed and specific as Miyo's, but he was getting there.

The biggest problem these higher ups were having with his research were the themes and disbelief. Why would you believe in an external organism controlling human mind, and if that was true, what would that do for human consciousness and decisions. As well as explaining religions all around the world (for example).
If I were to tell you and show you some research that you actually aren't you, and someone else is making your decisions for you, you probably wouldn't believe it at first and would ridicule the whole idea as a prank or trolling.

As far as I remember, that's pretty much how the important people received that theory in the VN.

Gar_Logan said:
Hulio said:

But you are aware that "Tail of a Lizard" isn't an accurate English translation, correct?

He's referencing the phrase トカゲの尻尾切り, which means evading blame for a transgression by pinning it on a subordinate and abandoning them. Or to be shorter, "scapegoating."

I think saying "the captain must go down with the ship," while maybe not literal, still flows well with the scene, since they are going to pin the operation on her as the leader and everyone else can get off scot free.
Well I don't know Japanese phrases that much that I could say what they mean in their language.

All I know is he said "tokage no shippotte yatsu desu", which (as you know) means "Like the tail of a lizard".
What comes to the phrase you say he's referencing (if he is, could very well be), I don't think that still really fits the Captain phrase.

There's a huge difference on cutting someone off as a "sacrifice" while you/company/whatever pulls through a scandal.
And when a captain by their own mistake and will goes down with their ship.

It may by itself fit with the "scene" we see, but this one of the things which I highly dislike on translations, when they alter meanings for their own purposes to deviate from the actual saying/story. Happens especially on dubbing.
Intelligent gets through situations which wise avoids.
Mar 19, 2021 3:00 PM

Jul 2016
ssjokg said:

You still think Satoko can manipulate memories at will.

I now understand that I was a real moron for trying to argue with you. Please never reply to me again.

Did you not watch the first minute of episode 24, or are you just doubling down on a whim at this point?

I guess it makes sense that you love to shame people who like this anime given that you love to skim over things, whether it's the most blatant details in the anime (like the broken horn that gave Rika her powers vs Satoko's unbroken horn, the heart-to-heart talks in the early parts of Satokowashi-hen, her perspective of these temporary worlds, etc.) or my replies from our last "discussion". I agree with you in the sense that both of us think you're a moron, but for a very different reason. You think you're a moron because you got caught up in an argument with this petty, stubborn forum newbie who just won't shut up and leave you to your business. I think you're a moron because you love to rely on cliche dodges and die on the stupidest hills just for the sake of "winning" disagreements and making it so easy for me to expose malintent as you turn what should've been fun talks about different interpretations into petty personal drama.
Mar 19, 2021 3:21 PM

Aug 2009
>I guess it makes sense that you love to shame people who like this anime

The only people getting shamed here are those that dislike it,by people that keep trying to argue how only WE find it bad.

Those that dislike it do not reply to EVERY SINGLE poster that expressed their love for Gou.

Lastly, why are you replying to me? I thought it was clear from the other thread that there is no real, honest discussion that can be done with me or my "posse". So what are you doing here? Harassment? Bait? Or trying to fuel your own ego this time?

Right now you are the only one creating drama.
Mar 19, 2021 3:28 PM

Sep 2011
What a complete and utter nonsensical waste of time this show was. Cannot believe this trainwreck is getting another season especially after the lie that was the marketing trying to pass this off as a "remake" or a "good start for newcomers"
Mar 19, 2021 4:58 PM

Dec 2020
Though I wasn't expecting a lot at this point I certainly expected a better finale than this episode. Even considering that there will be a second season this feels nothing like a finale or even a cliffhanger before a break.

Showing us Takano's backstory again was boring and just served to present the usual conveniant plot device. Satoko needs Takano to stop being the villain to become the villain herself? Guess what, Takano suddenly feels the urge to look at a photo album with a hidden letter that tells her to stop being the villain. Same with Teppei.

All of this just makes Rika's looping, her abilities and her suffering look like a joke. Satoko just happens to have more power through Eua and that's why everything happens as conveniently as possible to aid her.

The new finger snapping scene was incredibly cringe, even more so than the card game one. Why doesn't the "trap master" just put some camera in that room or hide in the closet or something. No, I'm sure killing yourself a thousand times takes less time. And it makes for a "cool" scene, right?

If this episode tried to blow our minds by showing us how Satoko made everything happen it failed miserably. Anyone with more than two braincells already knew that she used the syringes 10 episodes ago. We also already knew that Takano simply changed her plans. It doesn't matter at all if she does this becaus of some magic letter or because someone talked sense into her.

Didn't R07 say something like "Episode 24 will make you feel differently about Satoko." like we should be able to sympathize with her? Don't see anything like that here. She is just as evil as in last episode, if not more than that.

Im still happy that there will be more episodes but if just talking about Gou then this was a really, really weak last episode. And Gou overall was weak as well.

I can just advise the critical thinkers of you to ignore jaw201 completely. He isn't worth the time. Same for everyone who still argues that Rika somehow deserves what's happening to her or how Satoko isn't evil at all. The score of Gou is where it belongs and that is slightly above the Umineko anime.

I'm actually disappointed. There have been some really good episodes in Nekodamashi and Satokowashi but this last episode just was too much of a letdown. At least the OPS and EDs are phenomenal.

EragurMar 19, 2021 5:01 PM
We'll be together for all eternity.

Mar 19, 2021 5:48 PM
Mar 2021
It seems perfectly clear to me that the reason Takano decided to cancel the plan was not "wops, I found a message from my grandfather in the book lulz" but the fact that people would not recognize the merits of her grandfather's research (which is her main purpose) and that she would end up being eliminated or left alone. I just don't understand the complaints about this, it's a decision that makes perfect sense.

I still have several issues with Higurashi Gou overall but I am quite hyped for the second season. I find it very strange that Satoko is not yet aware of the sword. I doubt Eua will tell her about it as she seems only interested in enjoying the show. If I understood correctly the next satoko loop should lead right to Onidamashi, so I don't see how Satoko can discover the sword's existence in such a short time. We know that in Watanagashi the sword has already been taken, so I assume someone else is behind its disappearance. I find the existence of a third looper unlikely as there hasn't been any kind of overt clue that could lead to it (or maybe shion's disappearance has something to do with it?) and it's a difficult plot twist to manage without looking silly. There is also the matter of the statue's hand remaining intact (did anyone notice that even in Matsuri's timeline the statue was still intact?). If sotsu has 24 episodes then it is possible that we have not yet reached the definitive turning point.

See you again in July
Mar 19, 2021 6:03 PM
Mar 2021
Eragur said:
Though I wasn't expecting a lot at this point I certainly expected a better finale than this episode. Even considering that there will be a second season this feels nothing like a finale or even a cliffhanger before a break.

Showing us Takano's backstory again was boring and just served to present the usual conveniant plot device. Satoko needs Takano to stop being the villain to become the villain herself? Guess what, Takano suddenly feels the urge to look at a photo album with a hidden letter that tells her to stop being the villain. Same with Teppei.

All of this just makes Rika's looping, her abilities and her suffering look like a joke. Satoko just happens to have more power through Eua and that's why everything happens as conveniently as possible to aid her.

The new finger snapping scene was incredibly cringe, even more so than the card game one. Why doesn't the "trap master" just put some camera in that room or hide in the closet or something. No, I'm sure killing yourself a thousand times takes less time. And it makes for a "cool" scene, right?

If this episode tried to blow our minds by showing us how Satoko made everything happen it failed miserably. Anyone with more than two braincells already knew that she used the syringes 10 episodes ago. We also already knew that Takano simply changed her plans. It doesn't matter at all if she does this becaus of some magic letter or because someone talked sense into her.

Didn't R07 say something like "Episode 24 will make you feel differently about Satoko." like we should be able to sympathize with her? Don't see anything like that here. She is just as evil as in last episode, if not more than that.

Im still happy that there will be more episodes but if just talking about Gou then this was a really, really weak last episode. And Gou overall was weak as well.

I can just advise the critical thinkers of you to ignore jaw201 completely. He isn't worth the time. Same for everyone who still argues that Rika somehow deserves what's happening to her or how Satoko isn't evil at all. The score of Gou is where it belongs and that is slightly above the Umineko anime.

I'm actually disappointed. There have been some really good episodes in Nekodamashi and Satokowashi but this last episode just was too much of a letdown. At least the OPS and EDs are phenomenal.

Do you still think that brat Satoko who have lived at a village like Hinamizawa has knowledge about cctv or something like that in 1983? You must be kiding right to forget that Satoko is only a stupid brat who hates study school lessons for nothing.

Rika's loop is a joke from Eua perspective. There is nothing special in Rika's term. Also Satoko is luckily bastard who have meet Eua and receiving the ability that way too OP than Rika. So Rika needs time to wait her Miracle comes to win against Satoko's certainty. But i still don't like Rika in St. Lucia so.

I agree from the start all satoko's snaps to activate her trap or rewind the time is a bit cringe. But it just anime logic.

Yeah Takano's scene in last episode is taking too much time.
goib1234Mar 19, 2021 6:08 PM
Mar 19, 2021 6:09 PM

Feb 2014
Damn I binged Satoko's arc in a breeze. The way she played the worlds was diabolical.
Also we're getting a continuation.
Btw Satoko's THICC. No wonder Irie simps for her.
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Mar 19, 2021 6:36 PM

Dec 2015
I liked the gorefest this season had and that's it.
Mar 19, 2021 6:43 PM
Mar 2021
I love how Gou makes that Satoko is next Villain after Takano in different ways. I really want to see Satoko did clearly in Onidamashi-Nekodamashi in Sotsu later. I also want know how Rika can counter the enemy like Satoko as looper just like herself. It's entertaining for me that's why i don't really like Matsuribayashi hen ending because when Rika remembered all her deaths and knew the culprit was Takano with Hanyu's intervention, this is a game over for Takano from the start. It will be a fair if the culprit also a looper too just like Satoko now.

It ridiculous to see how Keiichi and others are suffering again, but this is how Satoko and Rika gameboard were started again.
Mar 19, 2021 7:15 PM

Feb 2015
And with that I'll drop my score to a 6 (or maybe a 5, not sure yet tbh).
I would've kept it at 7, if R07 didn't completely ruin Satoko (she's extremely ooc in comparison to the original Higurashi). I didn't like the way Gou portrayed most of the gore in such a comedic way and I don't like Passiones art style cause it sexualizes the characters too much and just doesn't fit Higurashi at all imo. The first few arcs where kinda fun, but worse versions of the og arcs in the end. They were great for theorizing tho.

The idea to put Satoko and Rika against each other is cool, but it doesn't work if you have to completely change a character without any reason.
I also don't like how everyone except for Satoko and Rika got tossed aside. Mion, Shion and Rena were basically non existent and K1 was just the decoy protagonist once again.
Hopefully the next season will be better, but I really doubt that ^^'

I'll keep it as a 6, cause the OP was a bop ig.
StormxNightmareMar 19, 2021 7:20 PM
There's no possible way you can steal my heart

I want to drown in this sweet Melancholy
Mar 19, 2021 10:39 PM

Jul 2016
ssjokg said:
>I guess it makes sense that you love to shame people who like this anime

The only people getting shamed here are those that dislike it,by people that keep trying to argue how only WE find it bad.

Those that dislike it do not reply to EVERY SINGLE poster that expressed their love for Gou.

Lastly, why are you replying to me? I thought it was clear from the other thread that there is no real, honest discussion that can be done with me or my "posse". So what are you doing here? Harassment? Bait? Or trying to fuel your own ego this time?

Right now you are the only one creating drama.

Hey thanks for dodging my comment about this episode debunking pretty much everything you said about character motivation in the last thread. It's bittersweet seeing an overconfident, sadistic asshole from a few days ago not even try to hide his fears and insecurities anymore. Also, love the irony of pulling the victim card after mocking me for allegedly doing the same in the previous thread. For the record, I'm not a fan of people using aggregate opinions on other websites, whether it's MAL or Reddit, to immediately discredit people's reasons for disliking this anime. I AM, however, a fan of people like you getting a bitter taste of your own medicine.

Correct; there is no honest discussion - specifically of the disagreement variety - that can be done for a narcissistic stereotype such as yourself. Did you ever stop to consider the idea that maybe you were chased off Reddit not because you disliked the anime in question, but because you expressed your dislike of that anime in your signature passive-aggressive and condescendingly personal manner using the same dishonest tactics I called you out on in the previous thread?

If you wanna keep being disingenuous by - for example - ironically labeling replies in disagreement of your point as "insult" and ignoring the points I'm making, I'll keep calling them out as I see them. It's fine that you really hate Higurashi Gou; it's not fine that you're an oversensitive asshole looking for every reason to bash people for their opinions yet can't take the heat when someone else calls you out on your BS.

Considering what took place on page 2, no, no I am not "the only one creating drama". Plus, my original comment to you was relatively tame; I was mainly just disagreeing with your interpretation of Takano's motives. But of course, you don't really care about Takano's motives; you care about other people agreeing with your interpretation of Takano's motives, which is why I included (but didn't focus on) the fact that episode 24 debunked pretty much everything you said about Satoko and her motive in the previous thread. Good old ssj; zooming in on the small parts of my comment that are relevant to your self-esteem and overall appearance rather than the actual thesis.

Pages (8) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Gou Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 25, 2021

314 by Drinzen »»
Feb 20, 2:59 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Gou Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 28, 2021

323 by Drinzen »»
Feb 20, 1:42 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Gou Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KANLen09 - Jan 14, 2021

317 by Drinzen »»
Feb 20, 1:11 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Gou Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

KANLen09 - Jan 7, 2021

166 by Drinzen »»
Feb 17, 3:54 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Gou Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Danpmss - Mar 11, 2021

313 by eblf2013 »»
Dec 13, 2023 5:08 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.