Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
My Youth Romantic Comedy Is Wrong, As I Expected (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Apr 18, 2015 9:04 AM
Sep 2013
FatefulLove said:
Oregairu does a pretty wonderful job making me dislike the 2 girls.

The tension between Hachiman and Yukino was great. Yui trying her best to lighten up the mood even by just a little bit.

I don't really see how you can't hate the two girls... Hachiman is obviously wrong always trying to avoid human interactions and providing solutions that reprime true discussions of the issues avoiding change and risks. He thinks hes got everything figured out but he's just scared of others and hides being a veil of pessimism. I love his character though, people with social anxieties often feels like they are the only ones who get it and that the others are just dumb.
Apr 18, 2015 10:47 AM

Aug 2014
Looks like Hachiman likes the airheads
Apr 18, 2015 11:22 AM
Feb 2015
komachi is still the best imouto. she's just lovable and sweet<3
new arc? I hope she isn't a bitch.
can hachiman and yukinon just make up already :((((((( *sigh*
Apr 18, 2015 11:26 AM

Nov 2014
Enjoying this season, don't like to see fighting though.
Hi there
Apr 18, 2015 11:28 AM
Apr 2015
tomokocchi said:
komachi is still the best imouto. she's just lovable and sweet<3
new arc? I hope she isn't a bitch.
can hachiman and yukinon just make up already :((((((( *sigh*

Soo agree with you, such a daring sister :P
Waiting for the outcome
Apr 18, 2015 11:41 AM

Aug 2014
Wow, is it just me or the art getting better each episode?

Awkward atmosphere in the club room there. Ah, so Yukino mad at Hikigaya last episode because of his method of solving things, and not out of jealousy. Got it.
It shows that Yukino really concerned about Hikigaya?

Interesting scenes with Haruno at the 2nd half. Haruno looks hotter in the 2nd Season artstyle IMO
Still, how rude of her prying on Hikigaya's past like that!

Anyway, when will this drama ends? I missed the old atmosphere and proper conversation between Hikigaya and Yukino already!
Apr 18, 2015 1:08 PM

Dec 2010
Very good episode..hope hachiman gets a little better as a charecter..i personally want to see how hachiman and yukino's relationship develop..
Mim
Apr 18, 2015 1:36 PM

May 2014
Hachiman is the opposite of naive. That equals awesome.
Apr 18, 2015 1:41 PM
Nov 2014
AironicallyHuman said:

As you touched upon at the start of your post, the biggest problem - for me - is clearly the adaptation. 99% sure I wouldn't have so many issues had I read the source material instead, or had there been a consistent S1-S2 adaptation. Even without reading the LNs (esp going on comments about the book store scene with blonde girl in ep2), it's fairly obvious going from S1 that they've drained scenes of their meaning and cut most of Hachiman's monologues. The studio have also clearly instructed his voice actor to downplay his performance. He's a hollow shell of the character he was before. And although Yukino's alterations aren't so jarring (eyes aside), I've gone from finding her icey intelligence charming to questioning her kuudere personality (where? No-one mellows THAT FAST) and lack of anything smart coming from her mouth. The tone of the show, aided by music, is so heavy on melodrama now - even the scene with the little sister - to the point it's distracting. If the clubroom scenes were presented as they were in S1 when there was tension between Hachiman and Yukino, I'd be fine with it. But here?... it comes across purely as low class drama.

In my judgement, it's quite distasteful to complain of a lack of monologues. Asserting that Hachiman's actor was told to 'downplay' his performance, and that his scenes are drained of meaning, notes that the subtle methods by which animation can communicate his stance and feeling are being overlooked. I would, in fact, argue that Hachiman's actor has put on a superb performance thus far. He is putting feeling into his words and breaths; subtlety is one of most difficult qualities to portray, especially when it comes to character emotion, and his actor has done a fantastic job of it, in correspondence with the visuals.

We watch animation for just that: animation. A monologue heavy story is best in text, but feel does an excellent job of adapting aspects into changes in posture, changes in the beat, and general direction of the show. And in doing so, feel and Hachiman's actor communicates so much more than the actor could alone (a picture's worth a thousand words). I could never say the same of S1.
Apr 18, 2015 1:50 PM

Apr 2015
This episode is so tense.

I don't know why many of you guys starting to hate Yukino. In my view, Yukino isn't trying to change Hachiman. She's want to stop Hachiman doing things recklessly again. This because, she knew that Hachiman will get another pain in the end. Even Hachiman tried to hide his pain (Episode 2). Hachiman keep hiding his pain over.. and over again, untill He's getting depressed (Komachi & Saika's scene). If this thing happen continuously, Hachiman's group will getting so much worse (Episode 2: He saves Hayama group, BUT sacrifice the bond between He and his group).

So, I think Yukino did really good thing in this episode. But, Hachiman shows his solo-player personalities again. I honestly like Hachiman does many baddas things again, but I'd rather He wont do that if it's meant He's getting the full-pain and destroying his group again.
Apr 18, 2015 2:07 PM

Aug 2014
Haruno is the best chick in this anime.....

Wait....

Haruno is the only good chick in this anime. The other chicks stink.
Apr 18, 2015 4:40 PM
Apr 2013
Strident said:
AironicallyHuman said:

As you touched upon at the start of your post, the biggest problem - for me - is clearly the adaptation. 99% sure I wouldn't have so many issues had I read the source material instead, or had there been a consistent S1-S2 adaptation. Even without reading the LNs (esp going on comments about the book store scene with blonde girl in ep2), it's fairly obvious going from S1 that they've drained scenes of their meaning and cut most of Hachiman's monologues. The studio have also clearly instructed his voice actor to downplay his performance. He's a hollow shell of the character he was before. And although Yukino's alterations aren't so jarring (eyes aside), I've gone from finding her icey intelligence charming to questioning her kuudere personality (where? No-one mellows THAT FAST) and lack of anything smart coming from her mouth. The tone of the show, aided by music, is so heavy on melodrama now - even the scene with the little sister - to the point it's distracting. If the clubroom scenes were presented as they were in S1 when there was tension between Hachiman and Yukino, I'd be fine with it. But here?... it comes across purely as low class drama.

In my judgement, it's quite distasteful to complain of a lack of monologues. Asserting that Hachiman's actor was told to 'downplay' his performance, and that his scenes are drained of meaning, notes that the subtle methods by which animation can communicate his stance and feeling are being overlooked. I would, in fact, argue that Hachiman's actor has put on a superb performance thus far. He is putting feeling into his words and breaths; subtlety is one of most difficult qualities to portray, especially when it comes to character emotion, and his actor has done a fantastic job of it, in correspondence with the visuals.

We watch animation for just that: animation. A monologue heavy story is best in text, but feel does an excellent job of adapting aspects into changes in posture, changes in the beat, and general direction of the show. And in doing so, feel and Hachiman's actor communicates so much more than the actor could alone (a picture's worth a thousand words). I could never say the same of S1.

The amount of monologues spoken depends on the story itself, not the medium.

This anime is perceived and narrated from Hachiman's perspective. Therefore, monologues are pretty much a given. The question is how much. Consider this, how many people will you think even bother to talk about The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya anime if the amount of monologues spoken by Kyon reduced to a dozen? Sometimes, the plot does not carries the show forward, but the main character thoughts and opinions regarding a situation. The same can be applied with OreGairu. Hence, why I said what I said in the first sentence of this reply.

Of course, leaving the details up to viewers imagination is fine and dandy if it is done right through animation alone. Actually, I prefer that more because that's the point of having animation in the first place. But this heavily depends on the director personal interpretation towards a given premise among other factors. This inevitably carries risks. Misguided character hating is one of those risks. Misunderstood characters is one of those risks. Misinterpretation of the underlying message is one of those risks. Underdeveloped characters is one of those risks. Heck, even Tobe's out of nowhere love for Ebina is one of those risks.

Regarding Hachiman's voice actor, yes, he did put up an excellent performance but for the wrong reasons. The tone, personality and emotion feels out of place and not the Hachiman I knew. Since when Hachiman turned into a hard-boiled character? No, he is not. When he said "I am the biggest liar of them all" with contempt and regret, it honestly felt to me out from nowhere. A perceived narcissist saying those words with a sad tone made me aware that I am missing something crucial about this show. An important detail about this Hachiman character if you will but I managed to sort that out by reading the LN. Now, this is not due to his voice actor problem, but rather the anime itself for omitting details regarding Hachiman and other characters as well.
worldeditor11Apr 18, 2015 4:48 PM
Apr 18, 2015 6:05 PM

Jul 2009
I feel like these characters putting up with each other's bullshit is the entire point of this series - growing up, particularly in high school, involves learning social interaction. While learning social interaction, you figure out through experience what kind of person you are and try to surround yourself with people who reinforce your self-image. The fact that 8man and Yukino reject these interaction experiments as needlessly superficial makes them loners, and despite the fact that Yui and Hayato (in particular) each realize this superficiality, they go along with it as something of an inevitability.

tl;dr If you were a loner in high school and understand why, this show speaks volumes
Don't forget.
Always, somewhere,
someone is fighting for you.
As long as you remember her,
you are not alone.
Apr 18, 2015 6:56 PM

Nov 2014
y123y said:
Haruno is the only good chick in this anime. The other chicks stink.

I kinda agree, even when she's somewhat manipulative (I think).
Apr 18, 2015 7:13 PM
Jul 2013
FatefulLove said:
Oregairu does a pretty wonderful job making me dislike the 2 girls.

JustALEX said:
My nigga Hachiman is a real nigga.

Fuck....it can't just be me that wants to punch every fucking girl on this anime, right?

And why is this anime being treated like it's some unbelievable masterpiece?

It's a story about angsty teens being overly angsty.....which is like every fucking teen show.

If Hachiman wasn't so interesting there is no way I'd put up with this bullshit.
Apr 18, 2015 7:28 PM

May 2014
Everyone needs to board the YuixHachiman ship! As for Yukino she is ugh... like the Yozora of Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai.. Or the Kizara of Black bullet.. my least favorite girls of the anime world.
Minori Kushieda Forever <3

Apr 18, 2015 7:31 PM

Aug 2014
Winterluffy said:
Everyone needs to board the YuixHachiman ship! As for Yukino she is ugh... like the Yozora of Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai.. Or the Kizara of Black bullet.. my least favorite girls of the anime world.

Haruno x Hachiman
Apr 18, 2015 8:02 PM

Nov 2014
I feel so sad for Hachiman.. I feel like he deserves I little more

Apr 18, 2015 8:17 PM
Mar 2015
you know the song Somewhere I Belong by Linkin Park fits Hachiman very well ;D
Apr 18, 2015 8:25 PM

Aug 2010
Great atmosphere for this episode. Almost makes you feel how Hachiman was feeling. Screw those middle school girls trying to use Hikigaya to meet up with Hayama. She even rejected him in high school. These type of bitches are the worst.
Apr 18, 2015 9:51 PM

Jun 2012
zeron824 said:
Craftworld_MM said:
...his methods ARE the best because he doesn't fix the problem he annuls it as it never existed but as Hiratsuka said it will prevent him from helping someone he really wants to.

Okay, I'm pretty sure this foreshadows something. Can someone spoil me, but not so much?

Man, I didn't feel a lot go on here. I NEED MORE NOW!! I'm not satisfied!
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Apr 18, 2015 10:01 PM

Jul 2014
I don't know man, with each episode, I'm falling asleep way faster. Quite a boring second season.
Apr 18, 2015 10:11 PM

Apr 2013
I think they conveyed the tension in the club room really well. I was really feeling the hostility between Yukino and Hachiman. Kind of surprised they just skipped over a big chunk cafe scene, since it's kind of important for a part that comes up a little latter, but I guess if they show it in flashbacks then it works all the same. Orimoto's introduction in the episode was just a bitchy as it was in the LN though that's for sure, really can't stand her. Liked the new opening animations, goes well with the song.

As a side note, after episode 2 I started to read the light novel, currently on volume 9. I've started to notice things that I normally wouldn't have thought much of if I hadn't read the source material. For one there certainly a lot of inter monologues that happened in the LN that were not present in this episode, which I kind of felt was a little odd. I think the fact that a lot of the cafe stuff was cut was weird, but I probably wouldn't have really given it much thought if I hadn't read the LN (well OK, maybe this one I would have felt a little odd just cause it feels slightly rushed). Just kind of interesting the things that bother you when you've read the source material that probably would bother you much or at all if you hadn't.
Apr 18, 2015 10:35 PM
Jan 2014
anthonyclark said:
Great episode.

For all of those who are agreeing FOR Hachiman methods, you know nothing of morals. Yukino is right, his methods are wrong, he's lying and being insincere which is also lying. Lying is wrong. Enough said. You can "disagree" if you want, but it's not a matter of your opinion or even mine for that matter. It's a matter of fact. Lying is wrong therefore he and his methods are. The reason why Yukino is having difficulty saying that is because to do so would require her to either acknowledge or establish some kind of standard(s) that have enough authority over him that he would actually obey them. The basis of which (or the glue to make it hold) will undoubtedly be the feeling she and everyone else who cares for him has, but were a long way from that. Hence why the professor (can't think of her name) said he would do well to consider the feeling of those around him.

Looking forward to the next episode!

Wow, dude, what you said is extremely naive and immature and you know it. I suggest you take time to think carefully and understand why people make "white" lies all the time. Morality isn't always a black and white thing. There are just things that you should not say if your words does not help discussion in any way, or will lead to open conflict that inconveniences pretty much everyone. You need to understand that other people will not always think or feel in the same way as you do, and being brutally honest is a thin line from being a complete jackass. Politeness is the requirement for a civilized society. And civility is the requirement for an honest society. Not the other way around.

As for why Yukino was angry, it is no secret that she hates superficial relationships, and feels better off being alone rather than having friends in name only. When she saw that Hachiman also hates superficial relationships, she felt that he understood her despite not being friends, and she felt some sort of camaraderie with him. So that's why when she saw Hachiman went out of his way to save Hayama groupies' superficial relationship, she felt betrayed and angry. She thought she understood Hachiman, but now she is not so sure anymore. In a way, Yukino is that naive girl who still doesn't quite understand why putting up appearances matter in the real world. Hachiman on the other hand, hates it but accepted it as reality and part of life. Don't misunderstand me though, I like this part of Yukino. I feel that this episode shows her flaw perfectly, in that she puts her ideal first and stubbornly refuses to accept reality.
PointyThingyApr 18, 2015 10:40 PM
Apr 18, 2015 11:36 PM

Dec 2014
y123y said:
Winterluffy said:

Haruno x Hachiman

Haruno x Hachiman -> YAY!!!!

Yui x Hachiman -> YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY!!!!!!!! :D
Apr 18, 2015 11:54 PM

Sep 2013
[quote=AironicallyHuman]
Deiger1111 said:
Hmmm..while I do agree that this whole conflict is being blown out of proportion by this ambience of heavy drama, Yukinoshita's gripe is not with Hikigaya's self sacrifice. Her axe to grind is how Hikki compromised his stuck in stone ideals of brutal honesty and dislike of pretences for Hayama's clique.

Yui's problem is a lot more obvious. She is both disturbed at his compulsive need to put himself on the chopping board (it should be noted that her first encounter with Hikki was with him jumping in front of a damn car to save her dog, so she most certainly has reason to think this tendency will escalate if she were to let it be) and the fact that he confessed to another girl.

Spyro's commentaries may help with making sense of all these if you don't want to bother with reading between the line

I won't disagree. Combined with the background score, ominous shots of the mains lost in melancholy and lonely sunsets, the mood set is for the kind of corny drama one doesn't normally associate with Oregairu.

Looking at it from another perspective it is representative of how laughably serious high school students take themselves and their petty troubles. I can recall at least a moment or two when I was so depressed back in eighth or ninth grade by simple fallouts that I'd brush off without a care now. The entire world used to appear as bleak and both crowds and the lack of it made me think of maudlin metaphors for absolute isolation in life. To think I was like that shames me, but it is a fact. High school students (at least some) worry and angst over the silliest of things. This atmosphere is realistic in that sense because as over blown as it looks to outsiders, by over thinking and over assuming, these immature teenagers (I sure feel like that now, seeing I'm 17 and assuming the air of a jaded adult here) make a mountain of a mole. Both of them are extremely bothered, and this little disagreement weighs on them both heavily though they pretend not to care. They try to act apathetic when they are anything but, and they truly are not mature enough to see the sheer banality of their conflicting egos.

I read through the wall of text (never a good sign when an anime adaptation results in FAQs; especially a romance anime. Evangelion's symbolism was bad enough!)... but there were a lot of words that didn't say a whole lot that I wasn't aware of, in truth. Not like there's anything terribly profound about an anime set in school; Hachiman aside. The superficiality point was something I had overlooked, and it did make me feel like I'd judged Yukino too harshly, too soon perhaps, but the rest was just outlining the obvious.
That was not written with you in mind. Frankly, the matter about superficiality was painfully obvious to me and many others, with or without knowledge of the novels. Who is to say some aren't aware of what is obvious to you? Anyway, Yukino's character isn't as simple as that suggested. Her actions have a lot more motivations than the dislike of pretences, though that is also part of it. The others would veer into spoiler territory, hence they are not touched upon.

Please don't compare Oregairu with Evangelion's its symbolisms. The main difference here is that all these character traits and problems have been present since episode one and are extremely consistent (not that Evangelion isn't) with the characters. The essays constitute what can be clearly inferred from the anime itself. I don't know why you say the genre doesn't warranty FAQs, it certainly does in my opinion as it directly deals with possible human conditions instead of fantasy war dramas or the like. These are situations everyone can be exposed to and that makes all the nuances worthwhile as humans in their niche are far more complex than our imagination permits us to make them in artificial conditions.

Yes, Yukino cares for Hachiman. Yes, she's annoyed because she cares about him. That much is clear enough, although it's seemingly not being conveyed very well by the anime--hence essays. But the whole 'Yukino didn't see Hachiman act that way' before argument is an empty one: she had seen him turn the student council against himself before and had clearly heard about him being an outright cunt to that Sagami girl, just so his plan worked. If she TRULY card for him as much as people are overstating, she would have been furious after seeing how how he'd made himself public enemy #1. Not because he broke his superficiality code of honour, or whatever, and hurt nobody. THAT'S WHAT I'M SAYING. And others. Probably. The whole ' put on a pedestal' role reversal from S1 is an interesting angle, just not one that translates very well without Yukino's thoughts.
Tbh, I agree with you on that Yukinoshita isn't acting like this out of the goodness of her heart or anything like that. What she is doing now is selfish and immature and not the correct way to deal with the situation. She doesn't see Hikigaya's justifications the same way he doesn't see hers. But then, that is what makes these characters worthwhile. Neither of them or their ideologies force a viewpoint of what is correct on the viewers. It is left to our discretion to decide what the truly appropriate course of action would have been and simultaneously allows us to appreciate these characters as real people that are naive and ultimately well meaning.

My interpretation of Hachiman was never someone that wouldn't be fake for his methods to work, despite him hating social bullshit: I always viewed him as someone that would do whatever is necessary to resolve a situation, if asked. No more, no less. Making kids hate each other? OK! Mentally breaking a stupid girl? OK! A false confession? OK! Whatever works. There was always going to be a point of no return where Yukino would find fault with an attitude where being hated is fine. But, like Hachiman said at the start, he's never hated himself. He's ultimately doing what he's doing because he wants to. He doesn't want to change--he is who he is. He isn't cutting himself at night, lost in angst; no matter how emo-angsty he looks in S2. So, Yukino's coming across as selfish for wanting to change him so SHE doesn't feel bad watching him.
I agree with you on the last part. She doesn't want to feel bad watching him and that is the only reason she is acting as she is. On the other hand, I disagree on your interpretation of Hikigaya's character. He solved the problem with Sagami, and the student council issue and the one with Rumi; the three instances where he solved (or procrastinated, whatever you prefer) social dilemmas instead of material ones; by brutally laying bare the hypocrisy of the persons involved. Not by lying through his teeth, and not to protect something superficial in his and Yukinoshita's opinions.

I don't have a problem with Yui, though the whole crying thing was WAAAY OTT: she's simple-minded and generally just nice. Plus, like you said, subconsciously she's no doubt remembering the whole car-dog incident. And she isn't acting nasty towards Hachiman. It's Yukino's cold shoulder routine that's far more trying. With the complexity her character conveyed in S1, less irksome. In S2 she's just a pretty girl that either smiles or is a bitch, so far. That's how she's coming across to me. *shrug* Again, I'm blaming the adaptation for downplaying her kuudere personality so much.
I'll be honest, I miss the verbal spars just as much and I agree that this downplaying of her kuudere personality is really taking a toll on my enjoyment of the series, superficially that is xD.

"bandwagon of unjustified hate for no apparent reason." <-- There are only a few negative posts in this thread. The anime has an average 0.40 higher than its prequel. Not much of a band or a wagon, is it? Don't be one of those people that start going on about haters. Just don't. Whether my and others criticism is valid or not, they are honest opinions. That's all.
I see a lot of Yukino hate and generalizations of her character as stupid and bitchy. Anyway, that particular reply was in context of the post I was replying to, no need to extrapolate that to my opinion of the entire fandom.
DeigerApr 18, 2015 11:58 PM
- My creativity is plummeting. -
Apr 19, 2015 1:59 AM

Jan 2011
Drake1000 said:
crockmez said:
Can somebody tell me why this season is done by a different studio?
I still like it but somehow it feels a little off for me.

Brains Base DOES NOT DO Second seasons except for Natsume Yuujinchou
So they handed the adaptation to Studio Feel with a staff change
It was the same case with Durarara though it did keep it's original artstyle I believe.

Thank god they handed it to another studio, the artstyle looks so much better now, there are derpy shots here and there even when it's not an inbetween frame but can ya do.

ah, thanks!
Apr 19, 2015 2:34 AM

Jul 2008
Thank god they didn't go for the Hachiman and Saika bromance again this episode, having it every episode annoys me a little bit :) I think Hachiman should stop being the dark knight and start thinking for himself and the people around him for once. I think it would suck if Hachiman has to suffer totally in the finale while everyone else he has helped are in the best of mood and never realised what this guy has done.
Apr 19, 2015 2:58 AM
Jul 2018
Yukino's voice actor did a really good job this episode with her response to Hachiman's asking for a reason.

I don't really like Iroha's voice actor all that much. It's not what I expected from her when I read the LN.

Overall a good episode but I feel like everything goes a little bit fast.
Apr 19, 2015 3:34 AM

Oct 2013
Really liked this episode and the new OP animation was great. I thought Iroha's voice was a bit too cute though.
Apr 19, 2015 3:56 AM

Jul 2010
I guess this show is good but somehow it's frustrating to watch 8man being insulted every episode and disrespected by his only "friends". I wonder how much longer they will keep this thing up, or at least with Yukino.
Apr 19, 2015 4:21 AM

Mar 2015
Haruno-san will be more like side character. It's bad, i think, because she is

Next ep. will be on only next two chapters of v.8, but, i think, something again will be cut. And, if i remember correctly:
TlahuizcapanteApr 19, 2015 6:00 AM
Apr 19, 2015 4:44 AM

Sep 2013
Meh Eps
They change the op animation...k.
Apr 19, 2015 6:27 AM

Jan 2013
worldeditor11 said:
Regarding Hachiman's voice actor, yes, he did put up an excellent performance but for the wrong reasons. The tone, personality and emotion feels out of place and not the Hachiman I knew. Since when Hachiman turned into a hard-boiled character? No, he is not. When he said "I am the biggest liar of them all" with contempt and regret, it honestly felt to me out from nowhere. A perceived narcissist saying those words with a sad tone made me aware that I am missing something crucial about this show. An important detail about this Hachiman character if you will but I managed to sort that out by reading the LN. Now, this is not due to his voice actor problem, but rather the anime itself for omitting details regarding Hachiman and other characters as well.

"I love myself.
I have never once hated myself. My high base specs, my kind of good looks, my pessimistic, but realistic perspective - I can't say I hate them whatsoever. But right now, I'm on the verge of hating myself. The Yukinoshita Yukino that I've known, always beautiful, unable to lie, honest, always standing on her own two feet, without anyone or anything to support her. I'm sure that I held Yukinoshita Yukino in admiration. I chose to expect things out of her. I chose to force my ideals on her. I chose to feel like I understood her. And so I chose to be disappointed. As much as I've told myself not to, I still do it. Even Yukinoshita Yukino lies. I can't accept this basic fact. And so,
I hate myself."
~ Hikigaya Hachiman, Episode 9, Season 1

Being self-critical is by no means unusual for Hachiman. He's brutally honest even with himself and his self-analysis is always on-point. His narcissistic side doesn't prevent him from doing that. He can calmly analyze and point out his own flaws. That is how I perceive Hachiman, and therefore, the monologue in episode 2 of Season 2 didn't feel out of place to me, and neither did the one in Episode 9, Season 1.
From how I see it, whenever Hachiman got sad (since the beginning of the series), it wasn't due to external factors. It was due to him second-guessing his own actions or thoughts.
Apr 19, 2015 8:38 AM

Jan 2011
This felt a lot more like what I remember this being.
The club is slowly falling apart and Yui awkwardly tries to solve the other two's problems.
Interesting, I like. :'o
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Apr 19, 2015 9:31 AM

Jul 2014
The amount of "in-depth" analysis of a so far plotless series and pretty bland characters is just astonishing. I blame it on the low production quality and it hurts because season 1 felt way better than this.
sovy_Apr 19, 2015 9:37 AM
Apr 19, 2015 12:20 PM

Nov 2011
Loving this conflict of ideals, more please.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Apr 19, 2015 12:27 PM
Nov 2013
So, some people here labelled Yukino as a bitch just because she tried to stop 8man from hurting himself.

Yeah, his social suicides are cool and that is what we loved about him but he literally hurts himself and the people around him. Even the Sensei has pointing out that if he still using his current methods to solve things, there'll be a time when he CAN'T even save the person he really want to save.

Yukino's method is not perfect but it is still good enough as an alternative way to solve the problem as well as preventing 8man from hurting himself (for now). Yukino, Yui, Komachi, Sensei hate 8man's methods of doing things because they genuinely CARE about him.

Well, you'll soon see whether 8man's method is right or not.

If you guys REALLY care about 8man, you would hope he would stop his social suicides already. I like 8man as a character which is why it hurts me to see him hurt himself.

PS: To Yukino haters, I do realize that you just bitch about her purely just because you hate her. Hate the fact that she's the main girl, hate the fact that she's more popular than the other girls and hate the fact that she had a higher chance to end up with 8man at the end of the series. I know that some of you do realize that Yukino cares about 8man but you just ignore that fact because you guys want her to look bad. It doesn't matter if Yukino does something good or something bad, you would just hate her either way. Let me ask you guys one question: How many of you piss off when Yukino had a nice moment with 8man like the one scene at the end of the 1st episode of this 2nd season? IF you piss off when you're watching that scene, then it's clear that you hate her just because she's 'Yukino'.

BTW, you do realize that whenever 8man and Yukino had conflicts, they would get closer than ever when the conflicts get resolved, right?

(Yeah, I do realize that some of you (Yukino haters) here who read this would pretty much thought that I'm annoying so... whatever.)
Apr 19, 2015 6:25 PM

Aug 2013
While we could all acknowledge that Haruna is the shit, I ship the new girl because she looks like Misaka.
Apr 19, 2015 7:02 PM

Dec 2014
TsukiCrasher said:
So, some people here labelled Yukino as a bitch just because she tried to stop 8man from hurting himself.

Yeah, his social suicides are cool and that is what we loved about him but he literally hurts himself and the people around him. Even the Sensei has pointing out that if he still using his current methods to solve things, there'll be a time when he CAN'T even save the person he really want to save.

Yukino's method is not perfect but it is still good enough as an alternative way to solve the problem as well as preventing 8man from hurting himself (for now). Yukino, Yui, Komachi, Sensei hate 8man's methods of doing things because they genuinely CARE about him.

Well, you'll soon see whether 8man's method is right or not.

If you guys REALLY care about 8man, you would hope he would stop his social suicides already. I like 8man as a character which is why it hurts me to see him hurt himself.

PS: To Yukino haters, I do realize that you just bitch about her purely just because you hate her. Hate the fact that she's the main girl, hate the fact that she's more popular than the other girls and hate the fact that she had a higher chance to end up with 8man at the end of the series. I know that some of you do realize that Yukino cares about 8man but you just ignore that fact because you guys want her to look bad. It doesn't matter if Yukino does something good or something bad, you would just hate her either way. Let me ask you guys one question: How many of you piss off when Yukino had a nice moment with 8man like the one scene at the end of the 1st episode of this 2nd season? IF you piss off when you're watching that scene, then it's clear that you hate her just because she's 'Yukino'.

BTW, you do realize that whenever 8man and Yukino had conflicts, they would get closer than ever when the conflicts get resolved, right?

(Yeah, I do realize that some of you (Yukino haters) here who read this would pretty much thought that I'm annoying so... whatever.)

Yukino's alternative ways.....
Anime:
1st: Yuigahama: teach yui to bake properly. Ok.
2nd: Zaimokuza: criticize him. OK I guess.
3rd: Totsuka: helped in the tennis match. Ok
4th: Hayama: did she helped in here? I think hachiman did most of the solving here.
5th: Kawasomething: her first move is to use a cat.. Nothing happened. 2nd is Threaten Saki. (Wow)
6th: Rumi: just gave her insight and be a bitch to hayama and miura.
7th: Sagami: they all helped in here(8man,Yui,Yukinon) although i think 8man should have just took the results and left sagami at the rooftop.
8th a: Tobe: gave dating locations(?)
8th b: Ebina: nothing.
9th: Student council:

10th:

LNs:

Yukino's alternative "ways" are not always "good enough".
Apr 19, 2015 7:09 PM

Dec 2014
sovyat said:
The amount of "in-depth" analysis of a so far plotless series and pretty bland characters is just astonishing. I blame it on the low production quality and it hurts because season 1 felt way better than this.

This, coming from a guy that feels that K-on!!! And Sakurasou are masterpieces.... -_-
Apr 19, 2015 7:45 PM

Jul 2014
testamentKAISER said:
sovyat said:

This, coming from a guy that feels that K-on!!! And Sakurasou are masterpieces.... -_-

Attacking one for personal preferences is quite ridicule to do. You also can't read, apparently. One thing is personal value you can get out of a series, another thing is production value coming from the people who make the show. Oregairu as a whole has a great story, otherwise, I wouldn't have rated the first season pretty high. Unfortunately, the producers haven't delivered it in the best way at all in this second season.

I'm sorry I hurt your feelings towards the show, but that gives you no freedom to judge me at all. This is nothing else but the truth.
Apr 19, 2015 8:11 PM

Dec 2014
sovyat said:
testamentKAISER said:

Attacking one for personal preferences is quite ridicule to do. You also can't read, apparently. One thing is personal value you can get out of a series, another thing is production value coming from the people who make the show. Oregairu as a whole has a great story, otherwise, I wouldn't have rated the first season pretty high. Unfortunately, the producers haven't delivered it in the best way at all in this second season.

I'm sorry I hurt your feelings towards the show, but that gives you no freedom to judge me at all. This is nothing else but the truth.

Oh sorry about that.. I'm just perplexed about what you have said. You know "bland characters, plotless story, low budget production" on a series that has not finished it's run yet.
Weird...
Apr 19, 2015 10:01 PM

May 2010
Tyrel said:
Sensing Kaori is a huge bitch. Also, Yukino getting on my nerves. Other than all that, good episode.

yup.... p-p

this was painfully awkward to watch tbh >.<
"Wait for the signal, and I'll meet you after dark"
Apr 19, 2015 10:52 PM

Oct 2010
(-_- #)... I hate when the manga is behind the anime. It seems like a good story so far and would like to continue it with my own pace, but, it looks like the LN is the only thing that is ahead. Not a fan of LN, for one, I have issues with remembering names with faces, so I would forget who is who. Anyways, good episode, and also, its been awhile, but that was the others girls sister at the diner, right?
Apr 20, 2015 12:16 AM

Aug 2013
I literally hate every girl in this show. I don't like yaoi but fully ship Hiki and Totsuka.

Yukino - Bitch. Shits on Hachiman all the time.
Yui - Annoying. Basically the female Hayato. Acts nice but still doesn't think twice about insulting Hachiman.
Komachi - So annoying and pushy I want to kill myself every time I see her.
Shizuka - Bitch. Basically chain-smoking older Yukino.
Haruno - Superficial bitch. Super fucking annoying.
Saki - She was a stuck up bitch during her minimal time in S1.
Ebina/Yumiko/All side girls - Annoying. Superficial. Manipulative. Crass.
Hayato - Basically a girl, since he's the biggest pussy I've ever seen.

Totsuka is literally THE ONLY person who is 100% consistently nice to Hachiman no matter the situation. Hachiman got fucked over at the end of S1? Totsuka was there to lean on. Hiki got ripped on by his "friends" after the trip? Totsuka offers up a warm smile and hello.

If Totsuka ever gets annoyed and Hachiman and says something rude to him. I'm gonna lose my shit. I'll have nowhere left to turn for comfort.

Best. Fucking. Man. 8Man. Keep fighting the good fight. You are literally doing nothing wrong. And not only do the other scrubs not have any alternatives, then they ride your ass despite solving all the problems.

EDIT: I also see a lot of people who are siding with Yukino and bashing 8man. They're saying that Yukino was right because Hachiman is going against everything he stood for by being a liar and helping Hayato's superficial relationship. An calling Hachiman wrong for being a liar.

It seems like you all are forgetting about Ebina. Her request was to Hachiman specifically and she told him she didn't want Tobe to get the chance to confess to her. So while Hachiman shouting the fake confession seemed superficial since it protected Hayato's group, it was also most direct (and really only) approach to stop Tobe from finishing his confession, therefore fulfilling his request to Ebina. And Ebina even knew that the confession was fake after they talked the next day.

So basically it's once again everyone getting mad at Hiki when he was busy solving problems that nobody else even knew about nor would have had a solution to. Hachiman could clearly not give 2 fucks about Hayato, but since he had the opportunity to take out 2 birds with 1 stone he jumped on it.
Jonesy974Apr 20, 2015 12:34 AM
Apr 20, 2015 6:31 AM

Sep 2013
Jonesy974 said:
I literally hate every girl in this show. I don't like yaoi but fully ship Hiki and Totsuka.

Yukino - Bitch. Shits on Hachiman all the time.
Yui - Annoying. Basically the female Hayato. Acts nice but still doesn't think twice about insulting Hachiman.
Komachi - So annoying and pushy I want to kill myself every time I see her.
Shizuka - Bitch. Basically chain-smoking older Yukino.
Haruno - Superficial bitch. Super fucking annoying.
Saki - She was a stuck up bitch during her minimal time in S1.
Ebina/Yumiko/All side girls - Annoying. Superficial. Manipulative. Crass.
Hayato - Basically a girl, since he's the biggest pussy I've ever seen.

Totsuka is literally THE ONLY person who is 100% consistently nice to Hachiman no matter the situation. Hachiman got fucked over at the end of S1? Totsuka was there to lean on. Hiki got ripped on by his "friends" after the trip? Totsuka offers up a warm smile and hello.

If Totsuka ever gets annoyed and Hachiman and says something rude to him. I'm gonna lose my shit. I'll have nowhere left to turn for comfort.

Best. Fucking. Man. 8Man. Keep fighting the good fight. You are literally doing nothing wrong. And not only do the other scrubs not have any alternatives, then they ride your ass despite solving all the problems.

EDIT: I also see a lot of people who are siding with Yukino and bashing 8man. They're saying that Yukino was right because Hachiman is going against everything he stood for by being a liar and helping Hayato's superficial relationship. An calling Hachiman wrong for being a liar.

It seems like you all are forgetting about Ebina. Her request was to Hachiman specifically and she told him she didn't want Tobe to get the chance to confess to her. So while Hachiman shouting the fake confession seemed superficial since it protected Hayato's group, it was also most direct (and really only) approach to stop Tobe from finishing his confession, therefore fulfilling his request to Ebina. And Ebina even knew that the confession was fake after they talked the next day.

So basically it's once again everyone getting mad at Hiki when he was busy solving problems that nobody else even knew about nor would have had a solution to. Hachiman could clearly not give 2 fucks about Hayato, but since he had the opportunity to take out 2 birds with 1 stone he jumped on it.
Nobody is bashing 8man. You, however, are bashing Yukino and all the females in the anime.

A lot of us have spend time trying to analyse the facts and motivations behind their actions. You are literally ignoring every interpretation put forward in this thread. Seriously.

First up, argumentum ad ignorantiam. Who are you to say others could or could not have came up with a good solution had they known? You are no one. Yukino for all we know could have got this done thousand times better if she knew the crux of Ebina's request. Moreover, just what is there compelling Hikigaya or obligating him to solve this request? Hikigaya hardly solved problems for their own sake. In Sagami's case and student council case, it was to protect Yukinoshita's pride as a person he respected and admired. Here, letting the group burn without a care would not have cost him. Before, he was his own person who solved things in a way he would feel good about his own actions.

I think most of us acknowledge that Yukinoshita is not completely in the right either. But she is certainly not any more of a bitch than she was when first introduced. She is consistent with her beliefs and ideals, but she is immature in that her world view is very polarised.

More importantly, he did not prevent the confession in the first place. He just procrastinated it to a later date. It is bound to happen.
while Hachiman shouting the fake confession seemed superficial since it protected Hayato's group, it was also most direct (and really only) approach to stop Tobe from finishing his confession, therefore fulfilling his request to Ebina
Or not. You don't have the slightest idea of what you are talking about. It is not that his confession is superficial because it is a lie. It is not even about his confession being a lie or him being superficial.

It is that he worked to protect a group he and Yukino actively acknowledge as superficial and therefore not worth saving. His actions only worked towards artificially prolonging a clique built on brittle foundations.

'The service club doesn't solve problems, it helps others to help themselves'
This club was never about solving problems. It is about two teenagers who think they have better and mature understanding of the values others should follow and tries to help them in a way they think would be helpful to the persons concerned.

For the rest of the characters, your reasons are even more laughably laughable. Shit generalizations without an ounce of thought behind them that I won't even bother commenting on those.

Tbh, I know this is a waste of time and haters will hate and deliberately ignore anything they don't want to acknowledge. I'm doing this just to feel good about myself. Feel free to continue hating Yukinoshita and other female characters. That is completely your choice. I just hope you won't make ridiculous assertions like everyone saying 8man did something wrong are haters who don't understand the show.
DeigerApr 20, 2015 6:49 AM
- My creativity is plummeting. -
Apr 20, 2015 6:40 AM
Apr 2015
He betrayed himself when he saved Hayama's superficial group.
But i think he will fix the mistake he created. Even i still don't know how he do it ( Bad EL :( )
TooEzGammingApr 20, 2015 6:46 AM
Apr 20, 2015 7:16 AM

Jan 2013
testamentKAISER said:

Yukino's alternative ways.....
Anime:
1st: Yuigahama: teach yui to bake properly. Ok.
2nd: Zaimokuza: criticize him. OK I guess.
3rd: Totsuka: helped in the tennis match. Ok
4th: Hayama: did she helped in here? I think hachiman did most of the solving here.
5th: Kawasomething: her first move is to use a cat.. Nothing happened. 2nd is Threaten Saki. (Wow)
6th: Rumi: just gave her insight and be a bitch to hayama and miura.
7th: Sagami: they all helped in here(8man,Yui,Yukinon) although i think 8man should have just took the results and left sagami at the rooftop.
8th a: Tobe: gave dating locations(?)
8th b: Ebina: nothing.

Let's take a closer look at these requests and point out how every member of the service club contributes to solving the problems. We may discover something interesting that way. (you may skip to the tl;dr part if it's too much text for you)

1st: Yui wants to give out yummy homemade cookies.
Yukino teaches her how to bake yummy homemade cookies.
Hachiman points out that there's no problem in the first place and the cookies will be accepted even if they aren't yummy.

2nd: Zaimokuza needs opinions on his script before entering a contest with it.
Yukino points out the flaws in the text.
Yui totally forgot to read it.
Hachiman points out a flaw in the methods.

3rd: Totsuka asks for help to get better at tennis.
Yukino makes a training schedule for Totsuka. Shows up to drive away the selfish kids by winning the match. Carries the game for the most part.
Yui got Saika to make the request in the first place. Participates in the training. Participates in match, but gets injured. Asks Yukino to step in for her.
Hachiman intended to get on his knees and ask the selfish kids to leave. Ends up assisting Yukino in winning the match by scoring the deciding points.

4th: Hayama requests to make the malevolent mails in his class stop.
Yukino decides on the strategy: find the culprit and make him stop. Can't participate in gathering intel since she's in a different class.
Yui actively tries to get information out of people. Fails to find out anything.
Hachiman sits passively on the sidelines as he monitors and analyzes the situation. Makes a discovery. Uses that info to solve the problem without finding the culprit, but 'sacrifices' Hayama in the process.

5th: Kawasaki Taishi is worried about his sister, Kawasaki Saki. Wants her to stop coming home so late.
Yukino decides on the strategy: Make Kawasaki Saki realize that what she's doing is wrong so that she can decide to stop on her own. First move: Yukino has no experience with delinquents, so she's relying on a cliché which states that delinquents will show their inner kindness around animals. Move cancelled due to Saki's cat allergy. Second move: Threaten Saki to reveal her age, which would get her fired from the job. Not a nice method, but it would get the job done. Saki wouldn't be working until late in the night anymore.
Yui tries to make Saki 'change for the better' by falling in love. With Hayama, for example. Saki brushes off Hayama instantly.
Hachiman analyzes the situation and deduces the core of the problem, including Saki's motivations. Presents her an alternative solution for her problem.

6th: Rumi is getting actively ostracized by her former friends in class. She actually wants to make friends, if possible, with the old ones.
Yukino points out to Rumi that graduating won't solve her problem. Can't find a solution.
Yui can't find a solution.
Hachiman destroys the group of bullies. Rumi's wish is not granted. In fact, the group she wanted to be friends with does not exist anymore. However, nobody will actively stop her from making friends anymore, so she can do the rest by herself.

7th: Sagami requests to help her as the head of the cultural Festival Committee. Basically, she wants her job to be done without shouldering the entire workload of her position by herself.
Yukino pretty much does all of Sagami's work and also assumes additional tasks due to shortage of manpower. Literally works herself sick.
Yui can't help out since she's not on the committee. Helps Yukino recover with the power of friendship. Joins Yukino's band performance when they stall for time.
Hachiman works as a member of the committee. Assumes additional tasks due to shortage of manpower. Points out Sagami's wrongdoings without turning everyone against Sagami. Finds Sagami on the roof. Instead of just taking the results from her, which would also mean wasting Yukino's efforts, carries out Sagami's initial request to the club by forcing her to get on the stage and finish her work. Takes all the blame for her failures.

8th a: Tobe wants to go out with Ebina. Requests service club to back him up as he tries to conquer Ebina's heart.
Yukino can't participate since she's in a different class. Makes a list of possibly helpful locations for the operation.
Yui acts as Tobe's backup. Actively arranges the groups in a way that would put Tobe and Ebina together as often as possible. Selects the spot for the confession.
Hachiman acts as Tobe's backup behind the scenes. Passively monitors the situation. Acquires additional information from Miura and Hayama as they approach him. Gains certainty that the confession will fail. Stops Tobe's confession while still getting Ebina's reply. Tobe does not get rejected and he won't keep trying for now.

8th b: Ebina wants Tobe's advances at her to stop. Specifically adresses the request at Hachiman.
Yukino does not understand the request.
Yui does not understand the request.
Hachiman understands the request eventually. Stops Tobe's confession while still getting Ebina's reply. Tobe does not get rejected and he won't keep trying for now. Ebina's group keeps existing while can still be part of it.

tl;dr
There is a certain pattern to how the service club works:

Yukino decides on the overall strategy and presents a way to solve the problem, allowing the club to get started on the work. That way, theoretically, they can make progress and steadily approach a possible solution. While Yukino's solutions aren't as perfect as Hachiman's, they would work too, and the club members aren't hurt or sacrificed in the process. Her overall goal is to help the people improve themselves, so that they can deal with their problems on their own eventually.

Yui keeps the club together and also acts as a link between the club and all the people involved in the current case. She performs the tasks that Yukino and Hachiman cannot, or would hate to, perform.

Hachiman analyzes the situation and gathers information. He needs Yukino and Yui to do their parts for that. Once he can get a detailed understanding of the problem and grasp its core, he pulls through with his own solution, offering the best possible outcome for everyone involved while shouldering all negative side-effects by himself. He basically just shows up and saves people.

Therefore, nobody's 'definitely better' at granting requests than the others and working on problems separately is a bad idea.
Naoki-SatenApr 20, 2015 7:35 AM
Apr 20, 2015 9:08 AM
Jul 2018
I don't get what's the drama behind all this, literally nothing happened and Yukinoshita is all angry
Pages (8) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Hachiman ended up with Yukino right ❓❓❓

neel_senpai - Yesterday

17 by neel_senpai »»
Today, 7:50 AM

Poll: » Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Zoku Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 25, 2015

1003 by ViSpace »»
Yesterday, 12:11 AM

Poll: » Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Zoku Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 18, 2015

557 by ViSpace »»
May 29, 11:35 PM

Poll: » Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Zoku Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 11, 2015

480 by ViSpace »»
May 29, 6:50 PM

Poll: » Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Zoku Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 4, 2015

544 by ViSpace »»
May 29, 6:17 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.