Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Jun 24, 2017 7:21 AM

Aug 2015
I do not know if I should call it torture or wonder. Likewise, I think it was not so bad, these are the kind of things that make Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu special. And indeed, I also think they wanted to transmit us the boredom that Nagato goes through.
KenelJun 28, 2017 6:37 AM
Sep 10, 2017 5:54 PM
May 2014
good to know it's safe to skip all of them
Sep 12, 2017 1:41 AM
ehhhhhh

Jun 2016
They reminded me of why I hated the movie Groundhog Day. I was even considering rewatching it to see if my feelings have changed. No need.
I'm no Weeaboo
I'm Katsura
Sep 18, 2017 2:10 PM
Sep 2017
I binged all 8 yesterday. I gave it a shot because it sounded like a cool concept, with the repetition being a necessary evil. And that star trek episode with a similar premise was really cool...

But man, they really could have executed it better. Why was every single repetition in the 15,000 range? Couldn't they have done 100, then 1000, then 10000? That way we'd probably get different deja vu reactions every time, instead of Kyon reacting to the exact same scenes every time.

Not to mention it would make Yuki's explanation the highlight of each episode. The first time she said it's been 15,000 repetitions it was a huge shocker. I was expecting them to get into the millions or something, but nope.

Well trolled, KyoAni. Well trolled.

(I think Yuki would've helped them if they'd just asked her to fill them in on the next cycle. But she wasn't asked to do anything, so she didn't do anything. That would've been a nice way to change things up a bit.)
Sep 18, 2017 2:42 PM

Mar 2013
You can use terms like "Avant-garde" and "unique" all you want, but something being experimental, largely uncommon, or creative is not synonymous with being well made.

We're putting too much praise on effort and novelty than on actual results.
Nov 1, 2017 2:02 AM
Nov 2012
Endless eight in the manga was much better than in the anime for 2 reasons:

1. Kyon explicitly tell Haruhi that doing homework on 31st is a Must-do activity. Since Haruhi already finished hers back in July, she didn't get to "do homework on 31st", that's why they were in the loop.
2. During the revelation talk with Yuki, she told them that they first realised the problem during the 8,759th loop. And they've been realising it more and more often as they go through more loops.

Comparing to the anime where:

1. Kyon simply said that he hasn't done his homework.
2. Yuki simply recount the difference between "summer activities" in different loops

The problem was much clearer in the Manga and there was a stronger sense of progress.

For the anime, I reckon these 4 are worth watching as they add something

1 establishes the events and show 1st loop.
2 show them noticing the loop
5 show kyon freaking out repetitively at the cafe
8 show them breaking the loop

3,4,6,7 are just repetition with nothing new and aren't really worth watching. You'll get what you need from watching 4 loops. 4 is also enough to make you feel some of Nagato's pain for the sake of enjoying the movies more
KonichiwaKunNov 1, 2017 3:48 AM
Jan 3, 2018 3:37 PM
Jan 2018
On the first episode I had no idea what I was in for. The second episode I figured it would all conclude the next episode. Third, it didn't. Fourth, it didn't. Fifth, I almost gave up. Sixth, I considered skipping around until something happened. Seventh, I figured I made it this far I might as well stick to it until the end. The eighth episode, I was like, "huh.... well..... that was drawn out for no real reason other than play spot the subtle differences. I feel like I just wasted some of my life"
Jan 5, 2018 6:47 PM

Oct 2013
Never before have I hated myself so much for not skiping episodes of something.
Jan 6, 2018 3:13 PM

Dec 2017
So the endless eight is to show nagotos pain of boredom and makes the movie a little bit better. Hmmm sounds interesting. I'm on season 1 ep 3 right now.
Yeah right there is no way a doujin about vomit exists.
Good song https://soundcloud.com/yeungkakit33/op4-hekireki-last-alliance
Tsumino account is BigMaraIppo
Another Good Song Listen to テスト by mukami #np on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/mukami/77a
Ashita no Joe and Megalo box are disappointing anime.
My reviews:https://myanimelist.net/profile/Botan-Chan45/reviews
Best Naruto Op: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByCNZxOBVWM&list=RDByCNZxOBVWM&index=1
discord name: Chitoge Kirisaki#9564
https://discord.gg/nGKu6zx my discord server for plebs
Jan 8, 2018 2:36 AM
Oct 2015
By the fifth one I was just listening to it and was just on my phone ging through reddit
Heckle was here...
Feb 27, 2019 4:30 PM

Nov 2017
I really enjoyed the endless eight; watching them trapped repeating all of the events, with only feelings of déjà vu carrying over from their past loops, and seeing it happen over and over again gave me a stronger sense of their (or at least Nagato's) situation.

Even though it was essentially the same story on repeat with alterations between the episodes, I found it really entertaining seeing the different clothing they wore, perspectives that were shown and the different lolis Haruhi brought up to Kyon at the pool.

Even to the end, I felt suspense every time Kyon felt déjà vu or called out to Nagato. Despite nothing coming of this it really gave me an enjoyable display of how trapped they were.

From the start I was expecting the homework Kyon kept leaving to play a role in setting them free, but it was still exciting to see if it would actually happen or how long it would take to figure out.

Also, having had no knowledge of the endless eight when starting the arc I sound myself amazed and in disbelief at what was unfolding before me.
Mar 1, 2019 4:59 PM
Dec 2017
I just finished all the endless eight and it's really nice. For me it's because of the feeling that you're on the same track with them on what's going on unlike Nagato, pity her for going through over 15k times of loops.
So for those who can't even appreciate the hard work of the voice actors and animators, think again.
Dec 7, 2019 5:01 PM
Feb 2019
Just who the fuck would watch 8 fucking episode and repeating the same scenario over and over again? Here's an advice watch the episode 3 episode of it which are the 1st part, and any of the 2nd-7th part because it's just the same and the 8th part so yeah that's it but if you're have a patience of 70 year old grand father that waited a whole day for his visitors to come over his house only for him to remember that he was supposed to be the one to go in their house. This is one of the biggest trolls that the kyoto animation made in the anime industry. But to be honest it was quite entertaining for me though because back in 2006 this mother fucker pissed the shit out on me that almost made me believe that haruhi-ism and it's main church is on Germany with a priest of blue Jehovahs and even worst Nazi blue Jehovahs ok you get my point it's fucking tiresome just do the things that I have adviced
Jan 11, 2020 4:07 PM
Jul 2018
MkayShock said:
Just finished the 2nd season and I've to say: It was the best part of it, imo. :)

The smiley face really got me and i have the same opinion about the endless eight compared to the other mini-arcs of the series.
May 15, 2020 1:20 AM

Apr 2018
Most boring arc I've ever seen in my life.

Jun 16, 2020 1:54 PM

Aug 2014
Anime only watcher (I dont read the LN)

First of all, you only needed 3 episodes to fulfill this arc. The first episode, one of the middle episodes, and the last episode. Nothing else was needed.

What i dislike the most was some watchers saying that they enjoyed the endless 8 because of the difference that they spotted with each episode. IM like "WHO CARES!!!!!!" Since when did anime become a spot the pointless difference each episode? And by spotting the difference, I mean like they were impressed that they wore a different shirt, etc. Pointless stuff.

Just because something is different it does not mean its good.

But again, the endless 8 should only affect your score of Haruhi if you were watching Haruhi season 2 new episodes on a weekly basis in 2009. If youre marathoning it, it shouldnt affect your score of Haruhi since you already know about the endless 8 and can just skip most of it, since 5 of the 8 episodes are just pointless and bring nothing to the story.

Just ask yourself this: if you plan on rewatching all of haruhi again and ending with the movie, are you also going to rewatch all 8 episodes of the endless eight? You know the answer is no. At most you will only see 3 episodes of the endless 8

Edit: im currently rewatching Haruhi and I just finished all 8 endless episodes, and my post above stands: only the first episode, one of the middle episodes, and the last episode is needed. Everything else is pointless. It was obviously just made to fill in the 14 new needed episodes. You can even say it was a last minute decision to do all this since they probably decided to move the Dissapearance from TV episodes to a movie. The endless 8, all 8 episodes would have mattered if the next arc was the disappearance, but its not, thus making 5 of the 8 episodes pointless.
oooo3333Jun 18, 2020 9:54 AM
Jun 20, 2020 10:18 AM
Spiral Warrior

Jan 2017
Once I got past the 3rd I was so fucking done with it lmao. Up to there I thought it was a neat idea but fucking DRAAAAAAWN OUT

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Jun 22, 2020 9:12 AM

Jul 2019
Did them all yesterday in one sitting, for me it doesn't seem to be so annoying and torture as many other viewers pointed out.
Dec 18, 2020 8:55 AM
Jun 2019
A lot of posts mention how this arc helps put us in Yuki's shoes, but I think it serves a much more important purpose, that could not be achieved any other way: Making us fully feel the weight of Kyon's decision not to speak up in the diner.

This expresses such a deep truth about life, and particularly teenage life: each of us has encountered moments where you know there's a chance to communicate something important, to deepen a relationship with someone you care about, to change - if only in a small way - the course of life. But far too often, we let these opportunities slip by, certain we'll have another chance later, unsure what exactly it is we want to say, or how to say it, preferring to wait for a more opportune moment when circumstances more perfectly align... But from the distance of years, when people have come and gone from our lives, when we've moved, changed - we look back, and see all the chances that are gone forever. All the paths that ended up never being taken, and now never will.

By making the stakes of this decision so clear and personal to us, Endless Eight manages to convey in a visceral way exactly what it feels like in these moments: Your heart beating fast, you know you're facing a moment that may never return, and realize how important it is that you take action. But fighting so fervently against you are fear, habit, inertia, your natural conditioning to stick to the known and familiar path, just wait a few seconds more...

In our own lives, so many excuses make it easy for us to succumb to this inertia. But while Kyon is facing this same temptation and, as expected, failing 99.999% of the time, it allows us as viewers to recognize how vital it is for him to overcome, or else he'll remain stuck in his own eternal, never-changing hell, along with his friends, and with us.

The despair we feel seeing him fail yet again, dooming us to another repetition, and deepening the uncertainty as to whether we'll ever break out of the loop, really pales in comparison to the stakes of real life. Kyon will get another chance, and if there's even the slightest probability of him succeeding, given infinite repetitions it's guaranteed to happen.
The reality, for us, is much scarier:

We have but one, brief life, and whatever chances we fail to take the first time are truly gone for all eternity.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 2 Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Fabrice - Sep 10, 2009

293 by AbrahamGAGA2002 »»
Yesterday, 11:42 PM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 2 Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Fabrice - Jun 18, 2009

204 by Timeline_man »»
Jun 6, 9:44 AM

» Sign here if you watch all eight episodes of Endless Eight. ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

shuffleair - Aug 13, 2009

1540 by nicosb2810 »»
Jun 5, 7:43 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 2 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

CinemaZebra - Aug 5, 2009

536 by Zucned »»
May 7, 2:46 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 2 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kappaka - May 21, 2009

449 by Ryan_the_Bread »»
Mar 30, 1:13 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.