Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
ONIMAI: I'm Now Your Sister!
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Mar 25, 2023 8:57 PM
Mar 2021
A great final episode!!
Mar 25, 2023 10:09 PM

Oct 2015
So, Mahiro's egg started cracking in the end huh. That's cute I guess.
Mar 25, 2023 10:19 PM
Jun 2020
I hope this gets a second season, it was very wholesome and much better than I expected.

Will definitely check out the manga sometime since I've heard it's quite good too.
Mar 25, 2023 10:35 PM
Feb 2021
Marinate1016 said:
Yea it’s gonna take something insanely special to not have Onimai as AOTY. Absolutely amazing finale that had everything that’s made this show so good. Perfect showcase of Mahiro growth. What a truly beautiful tale of growth and the importance of friendship.

It’s funny, I want Bind to focus on Mushoku, but when you see them doing things like this, how could you not want more stories like this? The animation was just breathtaking at times during this show. The direction was stellar and they improved the source material so much. Bravo.

Very much looking forward to the future of Bind. If they can give us a new season of Mushoku every year or two until it concludes, and throw in a SOL like this in between, everyone would win.
Mar 26, 2023 12:20 AM

May 2019
I figured that this would end the way it did although if there is ever a 2nd season or OVA I'm thinking that the change will become permanent. This was a great finale with Mahiro reflecting on what he should do and deciding to stay a girl to make the friendships that much more meaningful was wonderful to see.

Early on in the series I wasn't sure if I would like this but after a couple of episodes it really grew on me. The animation is top notch, the character designs are fantastic, the music used throughout was great, seeing Mahiro develop over time and bonding closer with both Mihairi and his new-found friends, and the antics that occurred with his sister and aforementioned friends was always entertaining to watch. I've already watched most episodes twice and I've found details that I missed on the first watch. This may be my AOTS which was also a surprise (I only say may since there's a few more animes that are wrapping up that I still need to watch) and I'm hoping that the blue haired girl that was shown in the final card implies that a 2nd season/OVA is coming.

I give this a 9/10 since this was a great anime.
Mar 26, 2023 1:55 AM
Jul 2022
Best episode in season1
Mar 26, 2023 6:06 AM

Mar 2022
Anime of the season, by a long shot, for me. The production value for such a silly premise was absurd, and they really went all in here in the last episode.
I woudn't mind season 2 at all, but it's off to the manga till then.
Mar 26, 2023 6:27 AM

Nov 2014
Last episode looked amazing. This whole anime is such a dark horse of this season.
Mar 26, 2023 7:21 AM

Nov 2010
The whole revert back thing was something I could have done without, but at least they handled it a lot better than the manga (in the manga it happens more often and is usually just played for laughs by putting our mc in compromising situations).
Overall the adaptation was impressive, taking the good, fun and wholesome parts, cutting most of the cringy stupid cheap laughs part out of the story. The question is where it is going, given the manga translation isn't that far ahead of the anime ending, a lot of the overall success of Onimai as a story depends on how successful the whole situation is resolved in the end, but until then it is quite a fun and mostly wholesome story to follow.
Mar 26, 2023 8:50 AM

Sep 2011
Okay I lost it when Mahiro made Mihari touched his dick.

Although I really wished Mahiro will return to his normal body even if it just for a short period of time.

Mar 26, 2023 9:10 AM
Dec 2017
Astonishing animation. I really like the colors, the chara design.
A nice conclusion for this S1.
If there will be a S2, it will be great maybe add some tension, doubt in the girl band about the genre of Mahiro.
If not (I think it's the case actually), Onimai is a very nice surprise, catchy, ecchi, funny, lovely series.
Mar 26, 2023 10:30 AM

Apr 2014
lol good catch Momiji xd

Thank you very much for making Onimai. It gave me a lot of smiles (and still does, no matter how many times I watch it) If there are enough chapters from the manga for another 12 parts, I definitely want a sequel
Ske80Mar 27, 2023 12:33 AM
Mar 26, 2023 2:17 PM
May 2021
it's cringe, don't respect the manga at all (it's litteraly shit on the manga), reeally a big shit.
Mar 26, 2023 5:12 PM

Jan 2021
I enjoyed it overall, and I feel like it brought back elements of CGDCT, or just slice of life anime in general that we don't see as much anymore. 

Mar 26, 2023 9:32 PM

Jul 2016
Can't believe we got the confirmation of Futa Mahiro becoming canon as season finale. Now that's how you end a show.

Entertaining series overall. Questionable during most of its runtime but also rather wholesome, all things considered. Really liked the cast except for Mihari and the continuous fluid animation as well as the soft color palette really enhanced my enjoyment for the final product. Kaede best girl, by the way.

7/10
Mar 27, 2023 5:55 AM
May 2022
best quality production Anime of the season just wholesome can't describe more
Mar 27, 2023 5:55 AM
May 2022
this anime have a special place on my list
Mar 27, 2023 12:54 PM

Jul 2021
This was such a wholesome ep <3

Mar 27, 2023 12:55 PM

Jul 2021
Mahiro-chan is so kawaii! ^^

Mar 27, 2023 1:54 PM

Jan 2013
kojimaaoba said:
What do you know about transgenderism to talk as an expert? You know nothing and also you guys said that you don’t believe it. Why denying other people’s head cannons and fighting with them about a thing you don’t even believe? It’s a show, loved by trans people too and it is wholesome. That’s it. 

Many people who denied their trans identity for a long time recognize mahiro’s behaviour immediately. So let people enjoy it. Also I know that nothing will change your opinions because you are annoyed by something that you do not believe, how many times mangaka likes a trans flag, or trans head cannon tweet, or trans flagged blankets etc. etc.

I am very happy that they did not betray trans people like Steins:gate betrayed or Mahiro was not sexually assaulted like other cross dresser anime or manga. 

Mahiro is in another territory now, she is exploring the being a girl, she may stay there forever. She may want to go back, maybe she wanted to be there for the first time, but I don’t think that she, with her personality that fits exactly to a girls, would like to go back.

As the title says, she is done for! 
You cannot possibly think that the author supporting trans fans is some kind of definitive proof that Mahiro is canonically trans.

Now, you should absolutely not bring up Steins;Gate. I can understand being misled if you're an anime only, but if you know the story in the VN, you would not make the argument that Ruka is trans. In the VN it's stated that Ruka was more or less raised as a girl, because his father needed him to be a shrine maiden. That's exactly as fucked up as it sounds, and he has never felt comfortable with the feminine identity/appearance that was forced onto him. His wish to be born as a girl is made in the hope that he will finally feel comfortable about his body/appearance if he becomes female. If you ask why he wouldn't just wish to have been raised as a boy instead, that's because he is in love with Okabe, and he doesn't think there's any chance of having his feelings reciprocated as a male. 
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Mar 28, 2023 8:08 AM

Aug 2019
what a great anime definetly one of the best from this (still beginning) decade. i kinda wish the siblings interacted even more those scenes were the sweetest. and while at the beginnig i though mahiros voice was weird i did grow to really like it like i predicted i would. hoping for season 2 and putting the manga on my plan to read.

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 28, 2023 11:20 AM

May 2015
The end to a great series. 

I didnt expect it to bring in the idea of him turning back. Thought it would just be a permanent thing but I'm glad they did it cause it was a really nice moment him deciding to stay a girl.

Also that ending where the siblings were sleeping was ADORABLE!!! I love these siblings! 
Yuritopia FTW!!!!!!!!! BANZAI TO YURI !!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 29, 2023 8:46 AM
Jun 2021
This is not about a character specifically. It is about how the gender swap stuff is used as a story tool. It is as foolish as using going blind to change the flow of the story. Or cancer. If you’d be blind or had cancer, and people in the anime you watch made fun or even sexually assault the character that had similar issues with you, that would be pretty offensive and stupid. 

I am very happy that onimai was not stupid or foolish. Also, mahiro has never been a femboy or anything like that, so the canon her being trans should not offend anyone. Anyway, this is a wholesome show. Nice to explore gender roles and identities and mangaka does not just support trans identities, he supports trans canons as well. And it feels good.

Note: You cannot raise a boy to be like a girl or be feminine or viceversa. It is scientifically impossible. If you take a cis person and force them opposite gender roles, you induce dysphoria on them and this is the worst thing you can experience in life. That’s why conversion therapies are banned worldwide. Steins being a show that respected science so good, was extremely disappointing in that sense.
kojimaaobaMar 29, 2023 8:51 AM
Mar 29, 2023 10:37 AM
Nov 2022
Got scary here and there, but otherwise super wholesome. Holy crap the background art as well deserves some commending too imo, this finalé was absolutely beautiful ♥
Mar 29, 2023 10:45 AM

Jan 2013
kojimaaoba said:
This is not about a character specifically. It is about how the gender swap stuff is used as a story tool. It is as foolish as using going blind to change the flow of the story. Or cancer. If you’d be blind or had cancer, and people in the anime you watch made fun or even sexually assault the character that had similar issues with you, that would be pretty offensive and stupid. 

I am very happy that onimai was not stupid or foolish. Also, mahiro has never been a femboy or anything like that, so the canon her being trans should not offend anyone. Anyway, this is a wholesome show. Nice to explore gender roles and identities and mangaka does not just support trans identities, he supports trans canons as well. And it feels good.

Note: You cannot raise a boy to be like a girl or be feminine or viceversa. It is scientifically impossible. If you take a cis person and force them opposite gender roles, you induce dysphoria on them and this is the worst thing you can experience in life. That’s why conversion therapies are banned worldwide. Steins being a show that respected science so good, was extremely disappointing in that sense.
If this was supposed to be a reply to me, you haven't refuted any of the points I've made, just regurgitated your misconceptions. 
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Mar 29, 2023 10:47 AM
Mar 2023
Pretty cool, although a bit too much innuendos for a show about middle school children. Surprisingly wholesome though
Mar 29, 2023 12:05 PM
Apr 2014

I felt deep-rooted emotion when Mahiro chose to drink the medicine, this episode and episode 9 are my favorites I think. I am a little afraid this might be the peak of genderbend anime in my lifetime though.
Mar 29, 2023 12:27 PM
Jun 2021
I am not replying or refuting or arguing. I already stated my opinions. Feel free to enjoy onimai as you enjoy now, because I will do the same.
Mar 29, 2023 1:36 PM

Aug 2021
Well, I like the manga so I hope the anime continues. It was a bliss to watch after several days of studying. I sincerely hope this cast continues. 

P.S. I don't get why people have to shame a slice of life comedy so much. It was really fun to watch. 
Mar 30, 2023 4:14 AM
Jul 2017
Having now watched the show I feel all the talk about gender from the community was completely miss placed, this is an incredibly wholesome show that comes from a very dark place, let's be blunt here Mahiro was a hikikomori, he had been overwhelmed by societal responsibilities and withdrawn to his room for 2 full years at the series start. there was only one person who gave even a slight shit about him anymore and it was his sister who was becoming estranged since he himself had given up.

That is a real position a lot of people have found themselves in and traditionally the only place things go from there is down, about 6ft under to be precise. which is why this show is so wholesome, it is giving a hikikomori a second chance at life, he has another chance to reconnect to his sister another chance to make friends and memories all from a clean slate where no one will judge him for his past mistakes, and he can grow as a person moving forward.

All this discussion about "ooh this scene totally means Mahiro is trans" kind of completely misses the point and I wish it wasn't the aspect of the show so many people latched onto.
Mar 30, 2023 7:02 AM

Mar 2008
Noo I don’t want it to end T_T

I actually think I teared up a little when Mahiro was tearing up with Mihari over everything coming on so suddenly right before she said she has the drug with her.

Pretty fun episode with all the little awkward moments in it.

Even though when a series ends in “the end” I do hope it would get a second season. 12 episodes really doesnt feel like enough for a show like this with how good it is at being wholesome without being prudish.

cevnways said:
Having now watched the show I feel all the talk about gender from the community was completely miss placed, this is an incredibly wholesome show that comes from a very dark place, let's be blunt here Mahiro was a hikikomori, he had been overwhelmed by societal responsibilities and withdrawn to his room for 2 full years at the series start. there was only one person who gave even a slight shit about him anymore and it was his sister who was becoming estranged since he himself had given up.

That is a real position a lot of people have found themselves in and traditionally the only place things go from there is down, about 6ft under to be precise. which is why this show is so wholesome, it is giving a hikikomori a second chance at life, he has another chance to reconnect to his sister another chance to make friends and memories all from a clean slate where no one will judge him for his past mistakes, and he can grow as a person moving forward.

All this discussion about "ooh this scene totally means Mahiro is trans" kind of completely misses the point and I wish it wasn't the aspect of the show so many people latched onto.

Transgenderism is misplaced but Id say gender isn’t. The way things play out seemingly kind of subtly suggests how girls are better socialized at least because of their gender roles if not their biology, so that’s why turning Mahiro not just younger as a sort of do-over but also into a girl is what made things better for him is because that social support and socially acceptable openness and closeness he lacked before and would have lacked all over again as a boy only made young again. Though it’s possible that’s only the case because it was meant to force Mahiro to not as easily fall into old patterns again by making everything a new experience so I may be wrong on the gender aspects but they did talk about gender differences a lot in the show which helps support this possibility. There are a lot of people that wonder if their life would have turned out better if they were born the opposite sex or different time or location or to a different family or otherwise wishing for a do-over. I’m jealous of Mahiro for that able to actually live through that fantasy.
Mar 30, 2023 7:37 PM
Nov 2022
season 2 please i just need entertainment
Mar 30, 2023 9:33 PM
Jun 2013
I kinda expected a bit more from this episode considering many people were hyping up the "hot spring chapter", but it was actually super tame, like come on Bind, you put Kaede naked in a hot spring and you don't give us some glorious fanservice? what a missed opportunity....

Anyway, for me is a 8/10, it was a quite good mix of fun, wholesome and lewd and the incredible production just elevated everything.
Mar 30, 2023 9:39 PM
Jun 2013
Aoishi366 said:
it's cringe, don't respect the manga at all (it's litteraly shit on the manga), reeally a big shit.
Dude acting like the manga has some big/complex plot that the anime should "respect", this is called "adaptation" for a reason, and the anime elevated the manga in every way possible.
Mar 31, 2023 10:55 AM
Jan 2020
my gender brain goes brrrrrr
Apr 1, 2023 1:31 AM

Feb 2022
This show really had me confused. It's clearly trying to me a wholesome show about cute girls. It's about rehabilitation and change, about connection and reconnecting relationships. It's also kinda gross in its ecchi nature at least to me, really weird watching an adult man turned middle schooler playing around with other girls. I can look past most of that and at a surface level this was a fun show.

That said every episode had me thinking about things I don't know if the creator ever intended me to think too much on like morals and ethics. Things like Mihari using an experimental drug on her brother without his permission. That's pretty dang dark and morally questionable, if not down right evil. Mihari claims this for her brother's own good. However we find out throughout the season that Mahiro didn't realize how much his sister looked up to him. We learn from Kaede that Mihari talked a lot about her brother in school, and another time got excited about making her brother cookies. It's pretty weird that Mihari didn't try to do an intervention with her brother, at least it really doesn't feel like it. Maybe if Mihari had explained how much she loved and respected her brother in the past and wanted him to get his life together... well maybe this show wouldn't exist at all... point is it feels like Mihari went to an extreme as the first option.

This last episode has Mahiro start to turn back. The sister presents him with another dose of the experimental drug (that she has no idea the side effects of using a second time) and gives Mahiro the "choice" to turn back. Is it really a choice though? Mihari spent the last several episodes forcing him to be social, introducing him to people, eventually even sending him to school. Mahiro is happy about it but because of all the fun, love, and emotional bonds he's formed it's not really a choice anymore when you consider his alternative. Why would anyone choose to become a loser adult again with no friends and no life... over having 4 new great friends and feeling like you have a future again. Also what happens if the drug loses it's potency? What if the drug keeps reverting his age back to the same middle school age? Lots of what ifs pop into my head every episode.

Don't get me started on the likely dysphoria Mihari might have forced upon her brother by making him change genders... if he spends a few years as a girl and then goes back to being a guy who knows the mental damage that could cause. If Mihari always wanted him to stay a girl that still is pretty dang messed up when you really think about it.

Then again I am well aware you're not supposed to think too much on something like this, can't help it though that's part of the fun to me. Either way it was fun watch, 6/10.
Apr 1, 2023 3:15 AM
Jul 2017
Droebie said:

This last episode has Mahiro start to turn back. The sister presents him with another dose of the experimental drug and gives Mahiro the "choice" to turn back. Is it really a choice though? Mihari spent the last several episodes forcing him to be social, introducing him to people, eventually even sending him to school. Mahiro is happy about it but because of all the fun, love, and emotional bonds he's formed it's not really a choice anymore when you consider his alternative. Why would anyone choose to become a loser adult again with no friends and no life... over having 4 new great friends and feeling like you have a future again.
Correct, no one in this position would ever choose the alternative, it's why I said earlier in the thread that all the focus put on gender in the community is completely misplaced, the focus of the story is the "brother rehabilitation project" It's about taking someone who has given up on life and helping to give them another chance. the crux of the show is Mahiros's mental growth as a person nothing more nothing less.
Apr 1, 2023 3:46 AM

Feb 2022
cevnways said:
Droebie said:

This last episode has Mahiro start to turn back. The sister presents him with another dose of the experimental drug and gives Mahiro the "choice" to turn back. Is it really a choice though? Mihari spent the last several episodes forcing him to be social, introducing him to people, eventually even sending him to school. Mahiro is happy about it but because of all the fun, love, and emotional bonds he's formed it's not really a choice anymore when you consider his alternative. Why would anyone choose to become a loser adult again with no friends and no life... over having 4 new great friends and feeling like you have a future again.
Correct, no one in this position would ever choose the alternative, it's why I said earlier in the thread that all the focus put on gender in the community is completely misplaced, the focus of the story is the "brother rehabilitation project" It's about taking someone who has given up on life and helping to give them another chance. the crux of the show is Mahiros's mental growth as a person nothing more nothing less.
Mahiro might be fine with it because of the alternative but what you quoted is more me looking at it as a negative. I think what Mihari did is take away his chance at real growth and maturity. Turning back the clock and starting over certainly is a fantasy a lot of people in his place dream of but it's a dangerous fantasy too. It takes away real responsibility from him and while Mihari is happy to see her brother recovering, unless he changes back she'll never have that big brother that she admired again. It's not true rehabilitation to me. But again I get the it's not meant to be that deep.
Apr 1, 2023 6:03 AM

Mar 2008
Droebie said:
cevnways said:
Mahiro might be fine with it because of the alternative but what you quoted is more me looking at it as a negative. I think what Mihari did is take away his chance at real growth and maturity. Turning back the clock and starting over certainly is a fantasy a lot of people in his place dream of but it's a dangerous fantasy too. It takes away real responsibility from him and while Mihari is happy to see her brother recovering, unless he changes back she'll never have that big brother that she admired again. It's not true rehabilitation to me. But again I get the it's not meant to be that deep.

Mahiro was consistently showing a lot of responsibility and so called maturity (I say that because I think the concept of maturity is stupid and manipulative like how masculine and feminine are). Going to the store to pick things up being trusted with handling the money and not blowing it all on whatever. Doing homework even though there is no real legal need having already finished school in past. Being a good sibling and friend even going out of the way to help others in need like taking care of sick Mihari. That’s more than most people do.
Apr 1, 2023 12:47 PM
Apr 2023
I liked it very much.
Apr 1, 2023 5:46 PM

Feb 2022
traed said:
Droebie said:

Mahiro was consistently showing a lot of responsibility and so called maturity (I say that because I think the concept of maturity is stupid and manipulative like how masculine and feminine are). Going to the store to pick things up being trusted with handling the money and not blowing it all on whatever. Doing homework even though there is no real legal need having already finished school in past. Being a good sibling and friend even going out of the way to help others in need like taking care of sick Mihari. That’s more than most people do.
To mature means to develop, it's about growth both mentally and physically, I don't really get why you would dislike that term. Also all the things you've listed he did could have been achieved by him as a man if given the chance, it doesn't excuse having this done to him. My point was she gave him an easy way out, and didn't give him a chance to prove he didn't need such a crutch.
Apr 1, 2023 6:46 PM

Mar 2008
Droebie said:
traed said:

To mature means to develop, it's about growth both mentally and physically, I don't really get why you would dislike that term. Also all the things you've listed he did could have been achieved by him as a man if given the chance, it doesn't excuse having this done to him. My point was she gave him an easy way out, and didn't give him a chance to prove he didn't need such a crutch.

Because often it is used to manipulate people to be a certain way like if someone has a sense of humour even if it’s not hurting anyone they will be called immature for example, or it otherwise can falsely equate all “development” as equally good when there is tons of ways to develop in ways that are actually negative like becoming emotionally deadened, pessimistic in denial and unquestionably obedient to all authority. Plus there has to be a limit to how much someone would change you cant really expect eternal “growth” whatever that means as if someone is going to go beyond being a Bodhisatva or something and that kind of suggests that a person should never be accepted for who they are now no matter how good they can be. It just skirts around the fact it’s just an opinion of someone on someone else not some objective universal truth of mature versus immature which itself is black and white thinking. I use the term mature myself sometimes as a relative term but i try to avoid it but avoid immature more.

It’s kind of implied Mihari did try to ask Mahiro to do things but he just would rather play games since he accepted defeat and just was trying to enjoy his life for what it was.

bolemis said:
Kinda shed a tear on this episode, how silly. Guess it just reminds a lot of us how carefree being a child was. sigh 

I dont know about that. You can have hardships at any age it’s just easier to deal with if you’re able to not think about it as much which can be done at any age too.
traedApr 1, 2023 6:51 PM
Apr 1, 2023 7:48 PM

Feb 2022
traed said:
Droebie said:

Because often it is used to manipulate people to be a certain way like if someone has a sense of humour even if it’s not hurting anyone they will be called immature for example, or it otherwise can falsely equate all “development” as equally good when there is tons of ways to develop in ways that are actually negative like becoming emotionally deadened, pessimistic in denial and unquestionably obedient to all authority. Plus there has to be a limit to how much someone would change you cant really expect eternal “growth” whatever that means as if someone is going to go beyond being a Bodhisatva or something and that kind of suggests that a person should never be accepted for who they are now no matter how good they can be. It just skirts around the fact it’s just an opinion of someone on someone else not some objective universal truth of mature versus immature which itself is black and white thinking. I use the term mature myself sometimes as a relative term but i try to avoid it but avoid immature more.

It’s kind of implied Mihari did try to ask Mahiro to do things but he just would rather play games since he accepted defeat and just was trying to enjoy his life for what it was.

Thanks for clarifying, I can understand what you're staying but that really depends on the context of what someone is trying to get across with the word and it certainly doesn't apply to how I meant it. That said I didn't really pick up on the idea that Mihari tried, at least not hard enough. There were multiple instances where Mahiro found out that his sisters cares more than she lets on. Like when he found out how she talked about him all the time, or learned to bake cookies for him. Not to mention Mahiro opened his shell pretty fast, all it took was some pushing. I don't see why Mahiro is willing to go outside as a girl to the store at his sisters request but wouldn't have done the same if his sister insisted in the past. Now again I get we're not supposed to look this deeply at a show that keeps it pretty light. I'm just saying whatever was implied wasn't spelled out strongly enough for me not to feel this way. If you want to be logical about it, her forcing experimental drugs on her brother is a lot more forceful and than telling him to get a job or leave. However we wouldn't have a show if that's how it went down.
Apr 2, 2023 2:00 PM

May 2021
A great & funny final episode.
Apr 2, 2023 6:21 PM
Sep 2018
prety awesome wish for 2nd season and also english paperback manga version
Apr 3, 2023 2:49 AM
Apr 2014
Droebie said:
traed said:

Because often it is used to manipulate people to be a certain way like if someone has a sense of humour even if it’s not hurting anyone they will be called immature for example, or it otherwise can falsely equate all “development” as equally good when there is tons of ways to develop in ways that are actually negative like becoming emotionally deadened, pessimistic in denial and unquestionably obedient to all authority. Plus there has to be a limit to how much someone would change you cant really expect eternal “growth” whatever that means as if someone is going to go beyond being a Bodhisatva or something and that kind of suggests that a person should never be accepted for who they are now no matter how good they can be.  It just skirts around the fact it’s just an opinion of someone on someone else not some objective universal truth of mature versus immature which itself is black and white thinking. I use the term mature myself sometimes as a relative term but i try to avoid it but avoid immature more.

Thanks for clarifying, I can understand what you're staying but that really depends on the context of what someone is trying to get across with the word and it certainly doesn't apply to how I meant it.  That said  I didn't really pick up on the idea that Mihari tried, at least not hard enough. There were multiple instances where Mahiro found out that his sisters cares more than she lets on. Like when he found out how she talked about him all the time, or learned to bake cookies for him. Not to mention Mahiro opened his shell pretty fast, all it took was some pushing. I don't see why Mahiro is willing to go outside as a girl to the store at his sisters request but wouldn't have done the same if his sister insisted in the past. Now again I get we're not supposed to look this deeply at a show that keeps it pretty light. I'm just saying whatever was implied wasn't spelled out strongly enough for me not to feel this way. If you want to be logical about it, her forcing experimental drugs on her brother is a lot more forceful and than telling him to get a job or leave. However we wouldn't have a show if that's how it went down.
Eh, power dynamic shift was really important to even get mihari to interact with mahiro like this and mahiro's own shortcomings are easier to deal with in this body than his original because the pressure is far less and he felt the body matched his own feelings of inferiority. Also the amount of time that passed was tremendous, your acting like he went through all this in a few weeks when each episode probably covered something closer to a month. Anyways in the end, the story doesn't relate to you, I think its pretty clear. To me the show had a lot of meaning, and I definitely don't agree with you that someone cannot have their hand held and mature. Rather I think that some people need that, because I feel its the only way I will ever make it out of my own failures, but I know that nobody will ever do it for me, so I will be stuck in my room forever I guess. Like 5 years now, where the heck is my Mihari at.
Apr 3, 2023 2:03 PM

Feb 2022
nekotan7 said:
Droebie said:

Thanks for clarifying, I can understand what you're staying but that really depends on the context of what someone is trying to get across with the word and it certainly doesn't apply to how I meant it.  That said  I didn't really pick up on the idea that Mihari tried, at least not hard enough. There were multiple instances where Mahiro found out that his sisters cares more than she lets on. Like when he found out how she talked about him all the time, or learned to bake cookies for him. Not to mention Mahiro opened his shell pretty fast, all it took was some pushing. I don't see why Mahiro is willing to go outside as a girl to the store at his sisters request but wouldn't have done the same if his sister insisted in the past. Now again I get we're not supposed to look this deeply at a show that keeps it pretty light. I'm just saying whatever was implied wasn't spelled out strongly enough for me not to feel this way. If you want to be logical about it, her forcing experimental drugs on her brother is a lot more forceful and than telling him to get a job or leave. However we wouldn't have a show if that's how it went down.
Eh, power dynamic shift was really important to even get mihari to interact with mahiro like this and mahiro's own shortcomings are easier to deal with in this body than his original because the pressure is far less and he felt the body matched his own feelings of inferiority.
I understand that but I would counter by saying the power dynamic was already in Mihari's favor as the caretaker to Mahiro.
Also the amount of time that passed was tremendous, your acting like he went through all this in a few weeks when each episode probably covered something closer to a month.
I am well aware of it being a years time, the show spells that out well with multiple seasons/holidays. It doesn't change the flaws as I see them.
Anyways in the end, the story doesn't relate to you, I think its pretty clear. To me the show had a lot of meaning, and I definitely don't agree with you that someone cannot have their hand held and mature. Rather I think that some people need that, because I feel its the only way I will ever make it out of my own failures, but I know that nobody will ever do it for me, so I will be stuck in my room forever I guess. Like 5 years now, where the heck is my Mihari at.
Or maybe I relate to it more than you realize and am just in a different place in my recovery from that lifestyle than you. I was supported for years by my parents in my early 20's, I was basically on life support the way I lived barely leaving my room. I was diagnosed with severe anxiety and depression, trust me I know all too well how intimidating a grocery store can be. I was never against support, my point of view is that this fantasy crutch Mahiro is given is a false hope, it's hard to measure real growth because he's been pushed into a scenario that makes everything easier. If in the final episode the second dose of the drug didn't work, there is a good chance after losing the crutch, the friends, and hope of a brand new start at life, that it would just have him reverting back, begging his sister to figure out how to make the drug work again rather than accepting that he needs to fix his own life, that his adult life still has so much to offer if he just takes the steps to start over. Who knows, the manga is ongoing so maybe my opinion will change when I see more. I can't help but feel taking the second dose for up to another year like this cemented him onto the path for good and yeah he'll likely be okay and have a happy life, but there is a disappointment I feel in this conclusion.
Apr 3, 2023 5:47 PM
Apr 2014
Droebie said:
nekotan7 said:
Eh, power dynamic shift was really important to even get mihari to interact with mahiro like this and mahiro's own shortcomings are easier to deal with in this body than his original because the pressure is far less and he felt the body matched his own feelings of inferiority.
I understand that but I would counter by saying the power dynamic was already in Mihari's favor as the caretaker to Mahiro.
Also the amount of time that passed was tremendous, your acting like he went through all this in a few weeks when each episode probably covered something closer to a month.
I am well aware of it being a years time, the show spells that out well with multiple seasons/holidays. It doesn't change the flaws as I see them.
Anyways in the end, the story doesn't relate to you, I think its pretty clear. To me the show had a lot of meaning, and I definitely don't agree with you that someone cannot have their hand held and mature. Rather I think that some people need that, because I feel its the only way I will ever make it out of my own failures, but I know that nobody will ever do it for me, so I will be stuck in my room forever I guess. Like 5 years now, where the heck is my Mihari at.
Or maybe I relate to it more than you realize and am just in a different place in my recovery from that lifestyle than you. I was supported for years by my parents in my early 20's, I was basically on life support the way I lived barely leaving my room. I was diagnosed with severe anxiety and depression, trust me I know all too well how intimidating a grocery store can be. I was never against support, my point of view is that this fantasy crutch Mahiro is given is a false hope, it's hard to measure real growth because he's been pushed into a scenario that makes everything easier. If in the final episode the second dose of the drug didn't work, there is a good chance after losing the crutch, the friends, and hope of a brand new start at life, that it would just have him reverting back, begging his sister to figure out how to make the drug work again rather than accepting that he needs to fix his own life, that his adult life still has so much to offer if he just takes the steps to start over. Who knows, the manga is ongoing so maybe my opinion will change when I see more. I can't help but feel taking the second dose for up to another year like this cemented him onto the path for good and yeah he'll likely be okay and have a happy life, but there is a disappointment I feel in this conclusion.
I mean if you want to be like that sure I can shit on any single show you want by coming up with a dozen what ifs and saying a non realistic element shouldn't exist because it offers a solution to a problem I personally disagree with. To me it looks like your not here to critique the show itself but rather the author/those involved with the anime storyline for not being you and having the same opinions as you.
Apr 3, 2023 9:10 PM
Sep 2018
it was wonderful i hope there will be a second seson and manga book  english version of it it was so great highly recomment it if you like cute anime
Apr 4, 2023 1:53 AM

Feb 2022
nekotan7 said:
Droebie said:
I mean if you want to be like that sure I can shit on any single show you want by coming up with a dozen what ifs and saying a non realistic element shouldn't exist because it offers a solution to a problem I personally disagree with. To me it looks like your not here to critique the show itself but rather the author/those involved with the anime storyline for not being you and having the same opinions as you.
You're reading too much into my criticism, it's not blind hate as you appear to take it as. I clearly stated multiple times that I understand the show wouldn't work if you take it too seriously and accept it at a surface level. I just decided to share my perspective on why the final episode and show didn't come off as wholesome as some people say at least to me. It's just a different perspective, no big deal, I never said it was fact, you're free to enjoy your fantasy anime and ignore my opinion.
DroebieApr 4, 2023 1:57 AM
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

» I love Asahi!

BigBoyAdvance - Feb 7

21 by MusicLeaf »»
Jun 4, 7:06 PM

Poll: » Oniichan wa Oshimai! Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 23, 2023

125 by ReliaOrSmth »»
Jun 3, 5:38 AM

Poll: » Oniichan wa Oshimai! Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 12, 2023

195 by RaptorDan »»
May 17, 1:20 PM

Poll: » did this show get you excited

weeaboo5008 - Dec 26, 2023

31 by Zarutaku »»
Apr 23, 2:07 PM

Poll: » Who do you like the most? (Favorite/best girl poll)

Onii-chanShuki - Mar 18, 2023

31 by ViviTNT64 »»
Mar 20, 1:22 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.