Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (12) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Apr 9, 2019 1:23 PM

Feb 2016
I already had my expectations low considering the change from studios (and how utterly insulting Index III were) but this is ludicrous. Season 1 had that wacky feel and it was really entertaining, this episode was completely boring, dull and lifeless. Hell, even Saitama's voice was way more off than usual. Also, what the hell went wrong with Genos? lol

Weak start, I've seen people saying that S2 is going to have a better story, it better do, because if the animation is still bad, that's the only thing that can save JC.Staff from being Pierrot 2.0

JokerVentura said:

Also the one thing we can say about OPM S2, is that it brought together a community of animation experts. Perhaps you can all get together and make OPM S3 and show them how it's done.....no? Yeah, somehow I didn't think so.

Its not a matter of being an "animation expert" Madhouse had a gold mine on their hands and they decided to brand it out to an inferior studio that has been mediocre as fuck lately. It might not be that bad, but for a joke like OPM this quality is a big letdown, specially for an anime that relies heavily on smooth animation.
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Apr 9, 2019 1:30 PM

Dec 2017
ONE creates best con men lol.

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

Apr 9, 2019 1:32 PM

Apr 2018
well the first episode kinda sucked lol, pretty boring and ugly
Apr 9, 2019 1:33 PM

Sep 2011
The artwork and animation was serviceable for this episode, but spells pretty big disaster for whats to come. This season will see dramatically improved writing and characterization alongside genuine story beats to follow rather than random events, but it seems that the production itself will sadly not do justice to it, it wont be a bad anime but it will be a big letdown especially compared to the wonderful work before it.

My big worry though after this episode is how much more low energy it feels like cause of the lack of movement, it ends up changing the whole tone for the worse

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Apr 9, 2019 1:37 PM

Oct 2014
JizzyHitler said:
The artwork and animation was serviceable for this episode, but spells pretty big disaster for whats to come. This season will see dramatically improved writing and characterization alongside genuine story beats to follow rather than random events, but it seems that the production itself will sadly not do justice to it, it wont be a bad anime but it will be a big letdown especially compared to the wonderful work before it.

My big worry though after this episode is how much more low energy it feels like cause of the lack of movement, it ends up changing the whole tone for the worse

It could end up like Tokyo Ghoul Re but with much more character development.

Apr 9, 2019 1:37 PM

Dec 2018
I'm going to be a bit controversial, but whatever. I watched first season in October (as one of my first anime ever), and found it good (7/10), but nothing special. It is not my type of anime, as I don't really like action shows. But now I watched this episode and you know what? I enjoyed it more. The focus is more on comedy and plot, which is great, fight scene was short yet not horrible (Steins;Gate 0), only thing that was kinda weird were those shiny elements like Genos's arms. But for me, there's not much difference between both seasons, therefore I'll keep watching it and who knows? If plot will be brilliant I may even rate it higher

I think madhouse hurt the anime because the animation was so good that it got the attention of the wrong people, this show is always about comedy and its characters,
Apr 9, 2019 1:40 PM
Jul 2018
The animation is medíocre but it really isn't that terrible This episode is okay 7/10
Apr 9, 2019 1:41 PM
Nov 2018
eglepe said:
Bet most of these crybabies never even read the webcomic. The art is fine. Not as good as season 1 but it's fine. Complaints about pacing are ridiculous this early. Maybe it'll be rushed but you sure as hell can't tell from a single episode.

The pacing of the ep on a whole was the same as last year, but the pacing on just the fighting was ass
Apr 9, 2019 1:44 PM

Jan 2018
I was ready to be disappointed but it's not that bad.
BARK BARK BARK ARRRGGFFF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK HSSSSSSSSS SNIFF SNIFF GRRRRR RUFF RUFF WOOF WOOF WOOF SNARL BITE BITE BARK CHOMP SNIFF SNIFF GRRRRRRRRRR RUFF WOOF BARK BARK BARK BARK ARGGGHHFFFF BITE BITE BITE WOOF HSSSSSSS GRRRROWWWL HOWLLL WOOF WOOF BARK BARK BARK ARGGGGRRRFFF BITE WOOF WOOFBARK BARK HSSSS CHOMP GRRRRR
Apr 9, 2019 1:49 PM

Oct 2013
Seeing the poll it seems the reaction is a mix bag.
Apr 9, 2019 1:50 PM

Aug 2018
NOT AS BAD AS I EXPECTED. meaning well done cause we all knew it wouldn't be madhouse but yeh happy to have a s2
Apr 9, 2019 1:51 PM

May 2018
What a dissapointment

The animation is worse than in Shinsekai Yori (amazing anime that was just plain ugly, except for visuals it's 10/10 imo) which is pretty hard to do, except for that it looks promising. King is hilarious, first epsiode is as funny as you would expect from One Punch Man and plot so far seems to be better than in 1st season (which was already great), new opening is pretty lit too. The problem is that I can experience all of this things by reading a manga. This season (so far) doesn't enchance OPM in any way, only makes it worse

I'm worried about OPM2 but out of curiosity I will continue watching, I hope animation will get better.

Also Genos cyborg parts of body makes me wanna puke. Who the hell thought that it looks good?

Apr 9, 2019 1:53 PM

Jan 2017
Maaan it's just as fucking awesome as I remembered the previous season. I thought the animations will be bad but they're suprisingly good. Can't wait for more 5/5
Apr 9, 2019 1:55 PM

Apr 2013
TOO SHORT, i need more OPM
just because I’ve gotten weaker, doesn’t mean that you got stronger, does it?
Apr 9, 2019 1:59 PM

Feb 2018
I came in with the lowest expectations possible which is good , so yeah it was not THAT bad looking , also this was pretty funny NGL .

Eschasintra said:
Well....the scene with King was actually well executed, they didn't fail to catch the comedy feeling and it was rather funny...but that's all. The fight with Genos was absolutely HORRIBLE, with poor animation and weird screen frames, the smoke ending up taking the whole screen so they didn't have to animate the actual fight, not fluid at all and failed to bring the viewers excitement.

Funny how every footages in the PV was already shown in the first episode, on another hand episode 01 was probably their only "well" animated episode.

Also, if that was the OP visuals then it's pretty shit to be straight forward, but yeah expected from JC, why would they bother animating an OP when they couldn't even animate a fight properly.

+1
Apr 9, 2019 2:01 PM

Nov 2015
Meh it was fine guys. Animators are overworked in Japan
HACKs! 🤢🤮

Jun 2017
yeeeep. its mediocre alright. Is it just me or does the art feel lacking in dimensions? Like everything is all flat? Also this aesthetic sucks. The direction and pacing is bad so its not funny either.

Oh yeah, and they didn't even make a ED, that alone is fucking heresy.

At the very least its not unwatchable. I guess its around the same level as other modern anime, which is not at all a compliment (especially for something like OPM). If one of my favorite anime got this kind of treatment I would genuinely be pissed.

Oct 2017
c'mon guys it's not that bad. It's decent, actually
Apr 9, 2019 2:04 PM
Nov 2016
an honest review from me to u:
its garbage, trust
Apr 9, 2019 2:06 PM

Dec 2015
Well, animation isn't everything. Even Mob Psychos couldn't save its average tier story
no
Apr 9, 2019 2:10 PM
Jan 2016
lostinexistence said:

You and I have a very different standard for decent because if I saw this level of quality from another anime I would call it crap
Apr 9, 2019 2:14 PM
May 2014
S Class Hero no 7 and his name is All Might!... wait wrong anime
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 9, 2019 2:14 PM

Feb 2008
I hope soundtrack, characters and story carry this season because they cant depend on animation and art on this one, first season set the bar too high and its clear this doesnt look as good as the first.
Apr 9, 2019 2:17 PM

Oct 2017
Yourmom53 said:
lostinexistence said:

You and I have a very different standard for decent because if I saw this level of quality from another anime I would call it crap

fine, man. Each to his own...
Apr 9, 2019 2:17 PM
Apr 2016
Great start, really liked that "fake" Symbol of Heroism subplot... that apparently became a main plot. Either way I am starting to get ideas, and that is great. From that dialogue between Kusone and Genos it has became apparent... that Genos WAS the one who destroyed his own home, and either his memory got wiped somehow or Kusone "re-programmed" him in hopes to make him... well, a good guy. And that is how you create proper drama.
Re:formed
Apr 9, 2019 2:18 PM

Mar 2017
Well, that wasn't worth the hype! It wasn't funny, there wasn't a lot of action and the animation quality has dropped considerably. Gonna keep watching though, and hope it gets better!
Apr 9, 2019 2:19 PM

Mar 2013
Literally the main reason why a lot of people didn't like the first episode or had a bad impression of it is because they came in with high expectations. You're literally setting yourself up with disappointment if you keep comparing the animation and artwork to last season. People will have to live with the fact that this art/animation is just different and we'll probably get used to it in a couple of episodes.

The episode overall wasn't bad, nor was it outstanding. I agree with others in that some shots with Genos fighting the robot were weird and the shading can be distracting in some scenes. Other than these things, I didn't really like how they drew King's face (facial structure?) compared to the manga, but his expressions were great.

I was still able to enjoy a majority of the episode and the shots of Fubuki and Sonic were well done. I have a feeling the next episode will give me a nice surprise...
Apr 9, 2019 2:20 PM

Dec 2017
Okay, continuing the series but with a different studio, J.C staff. Found the first episode to be moderate but I'll continue watching hoping to see the later arcs covered.
Apr 9, 2019 2:21 PM

Feb 2014
I came in, expecting this episode to receive a mixed reception and I was right. But honestly, I still enjoyed this episode.

While it's great to have One Punch Man back on air, the talk about the negativity of the PV leading up to the first episode won't go away anytime soon. Heck, those voices will probably get louder as the show goes on, but either way, I'll enjoy as much of the show as I can. =)

The animation, for starters, wasn't as bad as some people would say. Although some scenes in the Genos fight were rushed here and there and the camera felt like it wanted to be Sonic the Hedgehog on a chilli dog rush or something, but the fight itself was still good. S1 fights were far better, but this one was still good in its own right.

As for King, his scenes were very good. I didn't expect him to be a closet otaku and his reactions were funny and were well detailed, too. =D

Saitama did a good job in giving him a motivational speech as he took down the bird that was naturally attracted to King. I hope we'll get to see more of him in the future.

So I liked this episode, but I'm not surprised that certain parts of the visuals and the use of CGI for Genos have been going down badly with more passionate users here.

Only time will tell if things do pick up here or not, but I do see J.C. Staff's reputation taking yet another hit, especially after their lackluster effort with Index 3. =/
Apr 9, 2019 2:22 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
For anyone that's saying that this looks bad, name me 5 anime this season that showcased better sakuga than this episode. Let's face it, this is an average production. Not good, nor bad. This episode had bad cuts and good cuts. There's no point in comparing it to S1 because that was one rare production that can never be recreated again.

It's fine to feel disappointed from this, even I am too. But some people really enjoy talking outta their ass. It's bad when compared to S1, average when compared to other seasonal stuff, and good when compared to J.C Staff's usual TV production in the last couple of years. Comparing it to S1 is futile because even Shingo Natsume and Madhouse can't replicate the same quality anymore. Comparing it to J.C Staff's other stuff is also futile because it makes sense as to why they should put more scheduled time into OPM. The only thing we can do is compare it to the average production.

Also, contrary to what people think, the animation of Genos' body is hand drawn, so they're not trying to save effort or anything like that. Genos was given a post-animation metallic filter. So basically, 2D animation, but 3D-styled coloring. It's not an effort saving thing, but a stylistic choice. And a really shitty stylistic choice if I do say so myself.
GoldenDevilGamerApr 9, 2019 2:36 PM
Apr 9, 2019 2:24 PM

Jun 2014
I dont think its that bad?
Looking foward to it, the funny faces still remain the same :D
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 9, 2019 2:24 PM
Nov 2015
Honestly the worst ever episode of One Punch Man. It wasn't terrible, or even bad but it doesn't have that same atmosphere to it. Usually animation isn't important, but for Opm its a fundamental part of the series.
Amber Brett
Apr 9, 2019 2:28 PM
Feb 2016
I thought the animation for the most part looked alright, but a lot of frames and parts of the fight were pretty bad imo. I still don't like the gradient shading to say the least, it looks terrible. I can't stand the CGI on genos though my god. The first few episodes are gonna have the best animation, but idk about the rest

At least Fubuki still looks good and thicc as before imo. Thank god

6.5/10 for the first episode.

JC Staff, please don't fuck it up
Apr 9, 2019 2:29 PM
Feb 2016
Meta_Yoshi said:
I came in, expecting this episode to receive a mixed reception and I was right. But honestly, I still enjoyed this episode.

While it's great to have One Punch Man back on air, the talk about the negativity of the PV leading up to the first episode won't go away anytime soon. Heck, those voices will probably get louder as the show goes on, but either way, I'll enjoy as much of the show as I can. =)

The animation, for starters, wasn't as bad as some people would say. Although some scenes in the Genos fight were rushed here and there and the camera felt like it wanted to be Sonic the Hedgehog on a chilli dog rush or something, but the fight itself was still good. S1 fights were far better, but this one was still good in its own right.

As for King, his scenes were very good. I didn't expect him to be a closet otaku and his reactions were funny and were well detailed, too. =D

Saitama did a good job in giving him a motivational speech as he took down the bird that was naturally attracted to King. I hope we'll get to see more of him in the future.

So I liked this episode, but I'm not surprised that certain parts of the visuals and the use of CGI for Genos have been going down badly with more passionate users here.

Only time will tell if things do pick up here or not, but I do see J.C. Staff's reputation taking yet another hit, especially after their lackluster effort with Index 3. =/

JC's reputation is already going down the toilet with all the other terrible sequel adaptations they've had so far and how many projects they're doing. Quantity doesn't equal quality. I'm still hopeful they don't fuck up Konosuba at least
Apr 9, 2019 2:32 PM

Nov 2018
did sonic always sound like that..??????
Apr 9, 2019 2:33 PM

Jun 2014
Okay this a pretty hefty downgrade. Fans really wanted a second season and looks like they are happy with even this shit, but should we really settle down for something like this?

And those of you who haven't read the manga, please check it out. It's great and has just the kind of fun that was present in the first season. This cheap-looking adaptation is not going to do its source material justice.
Apr 9, 2019 2:34 PM

Nov 2016
GoldenDevilGamer said:
For anyone that's saying that this looks bad, name me 5 anime this season that showcased better sakuga than this episode. Let's face it, this is an average production. Not good, nor bad. This episode had bad cuts and good cuts. There's no point in comparing it to S1 because that was one rare production that can never be recreated again.

It's fine to feel disappointed from this, even I am too. But some people really enjoy talking outta their ass. It's bad when compared to S1, average when compared to other seasonal stuff, and good when compared to J.C Staff's usual
TV production in the last couple of years. Comparing it to S1 is futile because even Shingo Natsume and Madhouse can't replicate the same quality anymore. Comparing it to J.C Staff's other stuff is also futile because it makes sense as to why they should put more scheduled time into OPM. The only thing we can do is compare it to the average production.

Also, contrary to what people think, the animation of Genos' body is hand drawn, so they're not trying to save effort or anything like that. Genos was given a post-animation metallic filter. So basically, 2D animation, but 3D-styled coloring. It's not an effort saving thing, but a stylistic choice. And a really shitty stylistic choice if I do say so myself.

Preach.

Everyone crying should check out Saint Luminous Jogakuin to see how low quality actually looks like. Or maybe something more recent like Kings Game, Evil or Live and My Sister, My Writer xD

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 9, 2019 2:35 PM
Aug 2018
My expectations were pretty low, but it was a decent first episode, though I don't like the way Genos looks, I prefer the old design.
Apr 9, 2019 2:41 PM
Jan 2016
GoldenDevilGamer said:

It's fine to feel disappointed from this, even I am too. But some people really enjoy talking outta their ass. It's bad when compared to S1, average when compared to other seasonal stuff, and good when compared to J.C Staff's usual
TV production in the last couple of years. Comparing it to S1 is futile because even Shingo Natsume and Madhouse can't replicate the same quality anymore. Comparing it to J.C Staff's other stuff is also futile because it makes sense as to why they should put more scheduled time into OPM. The only thing we can do is compare it to the average production.

I mean the season hasn't started yet but Kimetsu no Yaiba, Piano No Mori, RobiHachi and Shoumetsu Toshi while the last two don't look great they are at least average.
Apr 9, 2019 2:42 PM

Jan 2017
Well, like a lot of people, my overall reaction is "Not as disappointing as I was expecting."

I mean, don't get me wrong, it's a massive downgrade from Season 1. That's undeniable, and it's a shame, and it matters - because what made the first season so great was that nothing was out of place, everything blew me away, and losing that does a disservice to the source material that's actually better than that which Season 1 adapted.

But the voice acting is still solid - even new players like King. The music is still on point, and I liked the new take on the main theme when Saitama was talking to King. The new OP actually looks incredible, and I'll admit it hyped me up for the next episode.

If it goes on like this it'll probably be a high 7 from me. But it could have - and should have - been a 10.
Apr 9, 2019 2:42 PM

Dec 2017
@GoldenDevilGamer with all honesty, Toradora had a much-much better looking fight scene or animation in general. and that's a romcom, not an action series. well, it's their most popular work after all (by MAL means)

this just really shows how fucked their schedule is and the staff arrangement. it's really sad considering the fact that OPM is such a huge battle action show, especially after that high plank that s1 had set
Apr 9, 2019 2:43 PM
Feb 2016
TheRay28 said:
Okay this a pretty hefty downgrade. Fans really wanted a second season and looks like they are happy with even this shit, but should we really settle down for something like this?

And those of you who haven't read the manga, please check it out. It's great and has just the kind of fun that was present in the first season. This cheap-looking adaptation is not going to do its source material justice.

This is the same type of shit I said when DxD Hero was looking bad with the new art and people called me a hater and how it's supposedly good (even though the art for that season was vastly different compared to 1-3), while the art here does slightly resemble season 1 but it just looks weird and bad in comparison. Honestly, if Bones or Madhouse are able to do the third season if we hopefully get to that point, then I'm all for it instead of JC doing it again.

Kinda think that people's worry for OPM began when anime sequels under different studios come out being worse than the first under the original studio, and I feel this all started with DxD Hero of last year. And apparently DxD fans said the new season was being really loved in JP, even though the BD sales were considered poor for the series. Let's just hope OPM can get through this for now and then we can have the quality back again
Apr 9, 2019 2:47 PM

Nov 2017
Orelsan is featured on the French opening.
Apr 9, 2019 2:47 PM

Apr 2016
Well that was just okay
Apr 9, 2019 2:51 PM

Jan 2009
Danpmss said:
deg said:

BDs only correct drawings and background art (aka art style - a term made by fans)

i never heard or seen a BD that improves the animation too

You better take a look at Berserk 2016-2017's BDs, some differences were like day and night.

https://i.redd.it/piytt0serhsx.gif

While most don't improve the overall quality, they do revamp several sakuga sequences and straight insert new and more consistent sequences in the place of the TV version (which is the case in here as well, some scenes look really fine, although barely animated at times).

JC Staff almost always provide some BD fixes even for works they barely have time to improve upon in a tight schedule (see ToAru 3 bluray and its 50 fixed scenes per episode).

alright thanks for that info
Apr 9, 2019 2:53 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Yourmom53 said:
GoldenDevilGamer said:

I mean the season hasn't started yet but Kimetsu no Yaiba, Piano No Mori, RobiHachi and Shoumetsu Toshi while the last two don't look great they are at least average.
RoboHachi and Shoumetsu Toshi don't have better or more sakuga that this episode. They wouldn't even fit the criteria of being average either. Stuff like Mix, Furuba, and Fairy gone have better production values, and out of the three I've mentioned, only Fairy gone has better production values than this episode. I was asking for 5 better looking productions, and the ones I'd list of the top of my head is Kimetsu no Yaiba and Fairy gone. As for upcoming, BSD S3 and SnK S3 P2 are bound to look better, and maybe even Sarazanmai. But I'm not trying to prove a point of OPM S2 looking good. I just want to prove that it's an average production.

Also, Piano no Mori is technically from last season, and I can't say it's anything better because its low points are worse than this episode, and its high points aren't quite sakuga heavy
Apr 9, 2019 2:54 PM

Apr 2014
The animation is a little stiff, but not outright awful. The only thing that I really considered to be bad was the line-work. It seems like sometimes the lines just disappear and we're just left with colored shapes. Otherwise, it's just average. It's a shame that we won't have the awesome animation of S1 that got this series attention in the first place, but the story in the manga is great, hopefully that makes up for it.
Apr 9, 2019 2:56 PM
Jan 2016
GoldenDevilGamer said:
Yourmom53 said:

RoboHachi and Shoumetsu Toshi don't have better or more sakuga that this episode. They wouldn't even fit the criteria of being average either. Stuff like Mix, Furuba, and Fairy gone have better production values, and out of the three I've mentioned, only Fairy gone has better production values than this episode. I was asking for 5 better looking productions, and the ones I'd list of the top of my head is Kimetsu no Yaiba and Fairy gone. As for upcoming, BSD S3 and SnK S3 P2 are bound to look better, and maybe even Sarazanmai. But I'm not trying to prove a point of OPM S2 looking good. I just want to prove that it's an average production.

Also, Piano no Mori is technically from last season, and I can't say it's anything better because its low points are worse than this episode, and its high points aren't quite sakuga heavy

Shoumetsu at least had somewhat of an okay action at the end also RobiHachi had better overall animation than this episode had maybe it wasn't Sakuga but it didn't feel like a slideshow.
Apr 9, 2019 2:59 PM
Sep 2016
GoldenDevilGamer said:
Yourmom53 said:

I'm glad at least you know average doesn't in any sense mean good
1.1.Six
Apr 9, 2019 3:01 PM
Sep 2016
People talking about the animation and I'm just thinking about how bland the directing is
1.1.Six
Pages (12) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Saitama an alien??

rikuhod - Jan 10, 2017

28 by Absurdo_N »»
Jun 2, 6:22 PM

Poll: » One Punch Man 2nd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 2, 2019

390 by FarCritical »»
May 17, 12:49 PM

Poll: » One Punch Man 2nd Season Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

xShinigami3125 - Jun 25, 2019

202 by FarCritical »»
May 17, 12:13 PM

Poll: » One Punch Man 2nd Season Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jun 18, 2019

201 by FarCritical »»
May 17, 11:27 AM

Poll: » One Punch Man 2nd Season Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 11, 2019

187 by FarCritical »»
May 15, 11:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.