Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Nov 9, 2017 3:22 PM

Jul 2015
nightcrawlercyp said:
DuoraDoll said:
She was purring. The tiger girl was purring. I like her, but shes most likely gonna die. Monkey is down, Rabbit is down, Horse got his backstory but seems to have died as well from the looks of it, or he is about to.
Rabbit is not down. Also if you do not mind a spoiler

Yeah sorry, I meant Sheep. And I don't mind the spoiler, I had actually been looking into the zodiac the past couple of months and noticed this particular thing.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Nov 9, 2017 3:58 PM
Sep 2017
Anybody else notice that horse said “I’m already dead?” IS THAT A MOTHEFUCKING JOJO’S REFERENCE!?!?!?!?!?
Nov 9, 2017 5:16 PM
Dec 2012
I think nezumi will win the game, or at the very least he will be one of the finalists.

Along with his power to read minds, he can also sense when someone is about to die, like when he sensed that monkey was going to die fighting usagi, tori fighting ushi and then uma too.

Just to clarify: He sensed monkey was about to die because he most likely didn't see her die when escaping from snake, he just appeared at uma's place and knew that she was dead. He also knew Uma would die and even told him so. He also said something about sensing that Tori was going to die.

I place all my bets on nezumi.
yorokobe9385Nov 9, 2017 5:31 PM
Nov 10, 2017 12:32 AM

Aug 2012
Dollars_Salty said:
Anybody else notice that horse said “I’m already dead?” IS THAT A MOTHEFUCKING JOJO’S REFERENCE!?!?!?!?!?
I doubt it. I think is because nezumi tells him that as long as he does not do anything he is as good as dead. He is already dead because he does not act.
Nov 10, 2017 1:58 PM

Jun 2013
what the fuck?! 3 deaths in one episode!
Nov 10, 2017 3:14 PM

Jan 2014
I thought it was very fitting that Boar and Monkey suffered the same fate. These two "rivals" couldn't lay a finger on Rabbit. It also just occurred to me that Rabbit has killed like 4 people (did he kill Snake? I don't remember). They need to team up against him or something.

Ox has only killed one person, right? If I remember correctly... Rabbit killed Snake and Boar. The Bird/Chicken lady killed Wolf/Dog dude, then Ox killed Bird/Chicken. Monkey was murdered by Rabbit even knowing his abilities. Tiger (finally gets screen time) kills Sheep. Rabbit kills Horse (or maybe he's still alive in some last second miracle he pulls off). Assuming that Horse is dead, then the kill count looks like this:

Kills:
Rabbit - 4
Ox - 1
Tiger - 1
Chicken - 1

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Nov 10, 2017 3:17 PM

Jan 2014
thebrentinator24 said:
Well after 2 episodes of no deaths, we get 3 in this episode alone, all of them still following the reverse Zodiac order. I'm sad that Monkey is gone, she was one of the more interesting participants (to me) so I hoped she would have lasted longer. Sheep's death was pretty pathetic tbh, as he severely underestimated his opponent. I didn't really care for Horse's death either, I knew he didn't stand a chance.

Rat continues to be a mystery that is difficult to figure out, but if I had to guess, it looks like he might have some sort of mind reading power and/or telepathy, as well as some kind of ability to teleport or something.

Reverse Zodiac order. That was a very good observation there. I never noticed that. The only thing wrong with it is that Snake died first. Other than him, it basically is going in reverse.

Nov 10, 2017 3:38 PM

Jan 2014
Wait, is it me or are they all dying/doing things in ironic ways?

Symbolism of Zodiacs:
Snake: Rebirth, transformation, immortality, and healing due to the shedding of their skin. Also known as a "creative life force."
Boar: Defense, war, courage.
Dog: Guidance, protection, loyalty, faithfulness.
Chicken: A symbol of parental and spiritual love
Monkey: Tails represent tools of balance and control.
Sheep: Renewal, purification, compassion.
Horse: A universal symbol of freedom without restraint.

The irony of their deaths:
Snake: He is still killing people even after his death, hence the "creativeness" and "rebirth."
Boar: Her arrogance (or twisted form of "courage") did her in.
Dog: He was too trusting of Chicken.
Chicken: She let her birds eat her, hence the "parental love" part.
Monkey: Her personality is all about peace or "control." She died because she couldn't control Rabbit/get through to him/figure him out. Everything was out of control for her.
Sheep: This one is kind of a stretch, but he was old, so I guess that figures on the "renewal" part. Either that, or his "compassion" for replacing his son in the war ended up killing him.
Horse: He died in a barricaded room with no escape.

Nov 10, 2017 4:28 PM

May 2017
Anyone who thinks this is just a normal killing game anime with one winner at the end getting their wish granted, PLZ use your damn brain. Now I have not read the manga or LN or whatever this was adapted from but even I know that the writers know a straight up one winner = one wish ending with every one dead at the end just like that, is an overused shitplot. Also there are so many hints hinting towards something way more than what it comes by as, Jesus this anime even was announced that it was gonna be longer than one cour. One cour= 12 episodes, so either season 2 or an extension, and with an anime that long the 12 Chinese zodiac thing and whatever its meaning / ending is (so many ppl comment this: "I already know the ending cus I know the Chinese zodiac") it becomes null.
Nov 10, 2017 4:29 PM

Jun 2012
Don't know why but I get a feeling Monkey isn't dead... If she is than it's a disappointment, cause she who trained every martial art to the point she could slice atoms only to die in a obvious way, makes this really anti-climatic.
Nov 10, 2017 4:38 PM

Jun 2012
FukGoBack said:
Anyone who thinks this is just a normal killing game anime with one winner at the end getting their wish granted, PLZ use your damn brain. Now I have not read the manga or LN or whatever this was adapted from but even I know that the writers know a straight up one winner = one wish ending with every one dead at the end just like that, is an overused shitplot. Also there are so many hints hinting towards something way more than what it comes by as, Jesus this anime even was announced that it was gonna be longer than one cour. One cour= 12 episodes, so either season 2 or an extension, and with an anime that long the 12 Chinese zodiac thing and whatever its meaning / ending is (so many ppl comment this: "I already know the ending cus I know the Chinese zodiac") it becomes null.

Well you could be right and I agree with you. The author of this NisiOisiN is among the best novel authors(if not the best) there is. But then a again this show isn't that good as I thought it would be. So this could end either way pretty easily...
Nov 10, 2017 5:49 PM

May 2017
Snaita said:
FukGoBack said:

Well you could be right and I agree with you. The author of this NisiOisiN is among the best novel authors(if not the best) there is. But then a again this show isn't that good as I thought it would be. So this could end either way pretty easily...

I gave this a 10 on this site, I thought everything was pretty well done and even more so. The action scenes and characters were all very well choreographed , and while it's not the most original setting/plot anime has ever seen its far from it, but what really is original these days? Everything is derived from something especially considering how long and how many anime shows have aired since who knows how long ago. What makes a show great and "original" is if it will take the right anime tropes and combine it according to the unique style, motives, characters etc... each show, no matter how closely they might resemble each other, will have unique to itself compared to any other show.

I thought Juuni Taisen did this masterfully + whatever trick it has up its sleeve, which I'm sure there is, will make it even more so or also maybe worse off.
Nov 10, 2017 11:41 PM

Sep 2012
So it is following the order in the ending. I'm kinda hoping the last 3 - 4 are jumbled up. If the ending stays true it'll be Rat who wins. How he kills Ox I have no clue.
Nov 11, 2017 5:05 AM

Apr 2015
The deaths(?) were hilariously clumsy. Too much talk, not enough walk, and that at its extreme. Almost like it was intended to be like that.
Nov 11, 2017 6:36 AM
Oct 2017
The show is becoming too formulaic.

=Spoilers=
The pattern is that as soon as we get a backstory, it immediately results in the death of that same character. That's fine once or twice, but eventually it become annoying and results in rushed development for the sake of shock value.
=Spoilers end=

That being said, the animation quality is stellar, and while the concept may not be by any margin unique, it still executes it in a way that keeps you hooked, leaving you happily indulging in some gratuitous violence.
Nov 11, 2017 8:11 AM

Feb 2013
I really like this Anime, but I'm not a fan of censorship when it comes to blood and violence!
Nov 11, 2017 8:32 AM

Feb 2013
Garamas said:
they never fight.
Out of the 6 deaths, 2 are because they underestimated their opponant. Like, why would you do that ? If you are in a Battle Royale like this, there's a reason, you can't possibly assume that they suck.

I agree with you to a certain extent, you've made a valid point. But maybe the show wants to emphasize that when it comes to battle, no matter how powerful or talented you are, you're going to die if you don't play your cards right- regardless of how much that battle lasts.
Nov 11, 2017 10:02 AM
Nov 2017
Sad there is only 12 episodes
Nov 11, 2017 11:14 AM
Apr 2015
Tiger getting on all fours to pounce then starting to purr was the highlight of this episode. Her motto should have been "killing purr-fectly".
Nov 11, 2017 3:01 PM
Jul 2016
Monkey and Horse both called Rats thinking childish. They both ended up dying from not listening to rat. "Killing Systematically"?

Nov 11, 2017 6:45 PM

Jan 2015
TRIPLE KILL, BITCH.

I didn't care about any of the characters that died in this episode but Sheep's death made me laugh really loud.

Rat is going to win this, there's no doubt anymore. But Rabbit is BAE.
The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth.

Nov 11, 2017 7:31 PM

Oct 2013
Here's a crazy idea but maybe don't show the backstory of all the characters you're gonna kill off in a row IT KINDA MAKES THINGS PREDICTABLE lol...
Nov 12, 2017 12:16 AM
Mar 2012
I liked the horse fight & Hulkish look in his training days. Deaths were somewhat disappointing & sudden like all so far, tho Monkey did fight well & controlled till Usagi surprised her.
Rat seems so different post Monkey death, much more talkative & less sleeping.
I'd prefer these interesting monologue plans got executed, instead of poof in sudden death. It raises expectations of their potential, then cuts short. We know the dying order author wants us to believe & I don't mine, but almost seems like the best parts are the backstories and not the current war.
Nov 12, 2017 1:44 AM

Apr 2017
i guess that's the end for pacifist-san, was a fave too :/

the sheep-tiger fight be like
tiger: *drinks* sdhagfdasjkfhsjfhdfmngng
*the sheep dies*
fuck that, i'm at least hoping for the sheep to survive, but oh well the tiger is interesting we need her to fight the ox

i'm plain sad for the horse, that's a useless death

now idk what will happen the next remaining episodes if you let 3 people die in one ep

anyways i root for the rat
sunako199Nov 16, 2017 6:21 AM

still life: pink roses
Nov 12, 2017 2:45 AM

Jul 2009
Sheep was acting all smart, but Tiger was faster!
Monkey also is out...interesting! It was nice to see Horse's past and to see that Rat is not so dumb.
Nov 12, 2017 5:38 AM

Jun 2015
Worst battle royale ever. Never seen something so predictable, hell not even the deaths are good, and of course gore super censored! Talk, and pretty obviously Rat gonna win. Trash
Nov 12, 2017 10:13 AM

Sep 2007
eddo209 said:
Here's a crazy idea but maybe don't show the backstory of all the characters you're gonna kill off in a row IT KINDA MAKES THINGS PREDICTABLE lol...

I don't know if you noticed, but the ED has the exact order the characters die in. Chicken confirmed it, although I thought they'd mix it up when the next character was Monkey and she didn't die during her backstory episode but it seems like they're sticking to the order.

And what does it matter if the exact order of deaths is predictable, as long as how exactly they die and where the plot will end up isn't? Most anime are predictable, this one at least uses it.
Nov 12, 2017 12:06 PM
Jan 2014
bdsbff said:
Every week I feel like I'm trudging through this show in the hopes that it'll get better. After slaughtering every character that gets any backstory I'm calling it quits. It doesn't help that episode titles and the ED spoil you on everything that's going to happen.

2/10

Yea I feel the same. First episode held so much potential for this show. Ever since Rooster died, I've been pretty disengaged and bored by it all. It's unpredictable but predictable at the same time. Everything is anticlimatic and I'm waiting for something to really SHOCK me and drag me back into the story. We're half way through and i'm not sure what I'm expecting to happen in the remaining 6 ep, but I imagine I will be giving this a 4/10 or 5/10.
Nov 12, 2017 1:20 PM

Feb 2014
Double maybe triple wipe out this week

And why horse thought that the vault would be good place to hide only 1 way in and out except for the way rat used ?
Nov 12, 2017 8:03 PM

Aug 2008
So sad that Monkey died. I liked horse too, he was a bit of a disappointment. Back story = death. Ending credits (and zodiac order) reveal order of death.

Rat will win.
Nov 13, 2017 12:32 AM

Oct 2017
Swim_Swim said:
Worst battle royale ever. Never seen something so predictable, hell not even the deaths are good, and of course gore super censored! Talk, and pretty obviously Rat gonna win. Trash

Well, if it's predictable, do you know how Rat will win?
Nov 13, 2017 12:01 PM

Jun 2016
Aaand all of my favorites died in just one episode.
Guess it's time to start cheering for the Tigress now.
Nov 13, 2017 2:25 PM

Jan 2015
Monkey died :( now we'll never get to know what her plans where I guess
Nov 13, 2017 6:21 PM

Mar 2009
Tiger is sexy as hell.
This show is basically just popcorn entertainment and it works if you enjoy it like that. It's a fun battle royal, and now I'm pretty much watching for Tiger and Rat. Based on the ED, they both make the top 3.

RIP Monkey. :(
Nov 14, 2017 4:02 PM

May 2009
lol @people who still doubt the order of death is fixed after over half the cast has died
Nov 14, 2017 7:50 PM

Oct 2013
Kiraly said:
eddo209 said:

I don't know if you noticed, but the ED has the exact order the characters die in. Chicken confirmed it, although I thought they'd mix it up when the next character was Monkey and she didn't die during her backstory episode but it seems like they're sticking to the order.

And what does it matter if the exact order of deaths is predictable, as long as how exactly they die and where the plot will end up isn't? Most anime are predictable, this one at least uses it.

You're trying to defend it but you just made it look even worse haha, guess i'm happy I don't watch ops & eds to avoid spoilers then lol! This is seriously a really stupid way to unfold the story. That being said, despite it I still really like the show.
Nov 15, 2017 9:49 PM

Aug 2015
Well shit, now Rabbit has Monkey.
SEE WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU ARE A PACIFIST IN A BATTLE DEATH ROYAL!!??!
"I -AM- ELECTRICITY." -Gunvolt
Nov 19, 2017 6:56 AM

Jul 2008
LMAO! Horse died in his vault because of smoke. Sheep got OHKO'ed by Tiger, that was shocking, not that he died but went down in one hit...when you underestimate you die.

And then there is monkey....trying to reason with a psychopath + underestimating him. We all saw this coming a mile away.

What is Rat though? Is he a mind reader? He's the wild card in all this.
Nov 19, 2017 6:57 PM

Jul 2011
Well another boring fight.

Feel bad for Sheep (but I knew he was going die), didn't really care that much for Horse. His was a pretty boring backstory.

So far a disappointing fights.
Nov 24, 2017 2:50 PM
Mar 2016
Monzer42 said:
>Spends two episodes setting up characters as major players
>Reveals that both of them have several schemes to help them accomplish their goals
>Kills both off anticlimactically without having them actually use their plans
>Lol any1 can dy XDXD

This is just bad storytelling. When you introduce a character and give them powers/plans, you need to have them actually use those powers/plans in the story instead of killing them off randomly. It's a middle finger to anyone who actually wants to see interesting fights.

Also Sheep's death was forced as hell.

i agree. they built up the idea of a cease fire and had rat and monkey be the leading roles, but they kill her off THAT easily? before she even got to do anything? her death was so bad that it's making me think that shes not even dead.
Nov 25, 2017 1:30 PM
Jun 2017
Monzer42 said:
groovykirito said:

i agree. they built up the idea of a cease fire and had rat and monkey be the leading roles, but they kill her off THAT easily? before she even got to do anything? her death was so bad that it's making me think that shes not even dead.

I feel like they were trying to go for a "anyone can die atmosphere" so hard that they forgot to actually make the deaths be satisfying/interesting. So far every death has been some kind of anticlimax and it's draining.

I agree,
It seems that they want to break out of the 'oh no let's not kill anyone' main characters usually are like, but making it an edge feast in every way. They build up a character and then immediately kill them off as you said. Juuni Taisen also suffers from not defilering action. They could've made the moves and everything be over the top but decided not to. Basically all the deaths are anticlimactic
Nov 29, 2017 8:30 PM

Jan 2017
I was really hoping Monkey would be the one to take out Rabbit! Oh well, it’s pretty obvious the shows is trying to say, “don’t underestimate your opponents, because they’ll win against you”, and whose the most underestimated character in the show? Rat... I still don’t want him to win though. I’m rooting against Ox, Rat and Rabbit... I’d prefer for literally anyone else to win.
Jan 9, 2018 11:14 PM

Jun 2011
This is no doubt the most disappointing turn of event.. The whole inner monologue thing breaking down each and every move of their opponents while being presumptuous like what the Monkey and the old man are their undoing. The terrible part about it is that it was out of character for the Monkey, basically had to have her being out of character, plus a bunch of bullshit like the head being where it was, and the necromantist being able to see what the head sees, in order to kill the monkey. Her death is the most disappointing because she added a different dimension to the series, and now all that's left is really, the mystery of the rat. Even the rat is talking a lot more now, babbling things people didn't really ask, that seems so out of character of him.. it's lazy writing to give exposition on his character traits.

And we're left with the character-less necromantist, Ox who's a typical stoic, drunken tiger fanservice girl, Rat.. and who else do we have, hmm, probably nobody significant.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Jan 12, 2018 9:08 AM

Jan 2017
The guy was suffering from anxiety.
Deep in obsessive thoughts. didn't notice the smoke.
Contemporary0091Jan 27, 2018 9:15 AM
And still, Bill will live on.
He will befriend the next inhabitants of the earth, beings of light who revere him as a god.
And Bill will outlive them all... for millions and millions of years...exploring, learning, living,
until the earth is swallowed beneath his feet.
Until the sun is long since gone.
Until time loses all meaning and the moment comes that he knows only the positions of the stars
and sees them whether his eyes are closed or open.
Until he forgets his name and the place where he'd once come from.
He lives and he lives until all of the lights go out.
Feb 24, 2018 1:04 AM

Aug 2007
Idk, this anime is p average?
Some of the characters have interesting backstories.
I'm not sure if it's bad because maybe it's purposely predictable and the twist with the rat will be good... but man, I'd be a liar if I didn't hope it was going to a solid series.

Sep 11, 2018 4:10 AM

May 2010
Noo monkey =(. I really liked her
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Apr 19, 2019 5:39 PM

Feb 2015
Sigh, they're still following this pattern... should've just done everyone's backstories in the first few episodes then let everyone battle... oh well, its still interesting even though it's predictable.

Monkey's death pissed me off though... someone that can cut through rock like its nothing with her hands, fight off god-knows-how-many birds while still fending off Rabbit with her hands gets 'killed' by an attack that doesn't look like it went deep enough to kill her.

Ah whatever, at least Tiger's interesting and wherever Snake's twin is.
Jul 28, 2023 7:28 AM
May 2023
I'm so bummbed monkey died, and she had a s/o at home too.

That and I wish sheep didn't have to die too. I wish he could go see his grand son again :(
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» Should I avoid watching the ED until after I've finished the series?

Jax - Jan 22

4 by StarlightShiba »»
Jan 31, 7:01 AM

Poll: » Juuni Taisen Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 19, 2017

211 by Stuntdrath »»
Dec 27, 2023 5:04 PM

Poll: » Juuni Taisen Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 31, 2017

112 by Bakunoaato »»
Jul 28, 2023 6:41 AM

Poll: » Juuni Taisen Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Oct 10, 2017

222 by Bakunoaato »»
Jul 28, 2023 5:48 AM

Poll: » Juuni Taisen Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 3, 2017

293 by Bakunoaato »»
Jul 28, 2023 5:11 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.