Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Jun 24, 2019 10:28 AM

May 2015
Ahhh yeee. Classic invastion on Earth.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Sep 26, 2019 1:34 PM
Apr 2018
Wow, planetary genocide in what was supposed to be a comedy show. But Utsuro still makes no fucking sense. He's immortal because of earth's magic juice and so he blew up a bunch of other planets to start a war with earth so it'll get destroyed. But why the fuck couldn't he just blow up earth like he did to all the other planets? Why couldn't he just throw himself into the sun or a black hole. Clearly he can run out of bullshit juice, shown by his fight with Umibozu. So his motivation just doesn't make sense.
Sep 26, 2019 1:38 PM
Apr 2018
MistyBlue said:
I probably missed something...but how is Utsuro any different from Kouka in the sense that immortal beings die from being away from their home planet?

It doesn't make any sense. If he wants to die, all he has to do is stay away from earth for a while. During the fight with Umibozu, he runs out of magic bullshit juice and is injured. All he had to do was not go back to earth, instead of committing genocide and trying to destroy the planet.
Sep 26, 2019 1:41 PM
Apr 2018
Monochrome said:
JizzyHitler said:
I think its hard to compare this to other seasons since its 1 arc versus other entires that had multiple but I do think it wasnt the best regardless.
I apologize for quoting an old post because I'm an idiot who fell behind on the series, but I completely agree with this and I think that's why I struggled with the score.

While this isn't the first 12 episode Gintama season, it's the first that only focused on one arc, with little comedy, which wasn't the best either. There were a lot of major developments, both story and character wise, but some fell flat due to unnecessarily long dialogue and some comedic moments.

Oboro is one of the biggest things that bothered me. He's been here since Enchousen, appeared for 3 seasons, and we only NOW hear his backstory, which is strongly connected to Shoyo? I know Sorachi has a habit of telling backstories before a big boss death, but I hate to continually see it for characters that appeared in various episodes. The same thing with Sasaki last season. I probably would have cared more if it wasn't told at the absolute last minute.

Also finally revealing that Sakamoto left the war due to an injury. He's a happy go lucky guy and doesn't care about revenge, but to play that card when the guy who injured him reappeared and then turn it into a complete comedy moment, after Gintoki/Takasugi stated they would avenge him years before. That was awkward.

But I finally got the epic Joui reunion I've been waiting for and of course more Sakamoto screentime. He's such a awesome guy. I'm glad he seems to have tamed Nobunobu as well. The Kamui development was great too. It's nice to finally have a better understanding of his craziness and I'm looking forward to seeing how he's changed.

Though they really have to better explain how Kokoa and Utsuro are the same yet different. He can leave Earth and not die, or does it have to do with there seemingly being no Altana on the planet Kokoa moved to? Unless the answer is simply that they don't die instantly. She surly took ~10 years to die.

Either way I'll end my long post there. This season was entertaining enough for me to watch it all in 1 day so I still rated it a 9/10, though if I wasn't biased it would be 7/10. This is the first season I didn't rate a 10. The streak has ended....

I think Utsuro would also die if he stayed away too long enough from earth, since he says he ran out of Altana during his fight with Umibozu. That pretty much ruins his entire motivation. Instead of committing genocide and trying to get earth destroyed, all he had to do to die was throw himself into the sun or a black hole
Oct 11, 2019 4:53 AM

May 2016
Hands down to the best adaptation of Gintama there was not a single episode that didn't make my eyes tear down.

Pure 10/10
Oct 19, 2019 10:00 PM

Sep 2017
The Gorilla mangaka shows again how easily he can blend Gintama's stellar comedy with it's bad-ass action. Nothing else to say here. A great arc that puts many other shounen's to shame with its cumulative world-building and storytelling elements. 10/10.

Nov 23, 2019 11:20 AM
Apr 2016
Shoyo's identity has been fully unveiled, and honestly, I'm satisfied with the explanation. Great season.
Nov 23, 2019 1:38 PM
Jul 2018
This season is great but out of all Gintama seasons, this one is probably my least favorite. Mainly because it felt so empty watching Gintama without seeing one of shinsengumi trio (Toshi,Okita and Kondou). And that bitch Matako had too much screentime in this season, I hate her so much and seeing her appeared a lot in this season made me unable to enjoy it like previous seasons before. If Gintama isn't my fav anime, I would've rate this season around 7/8. But luckily I'm always biased towards Gintama no matter how "not good" the season is. And I just can't rate anything related to Gintama below 10. So yea definitely 10/10 from me.
Nov 27, 2019 3:26 AM

Mar 2015
Whew really looking forward to how this one further develops in the next season!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Mar 17, 2020 6:39 PM

Jan 2013
Felt pretty sad for Oboro, rest in peace!

It did feel like a season where it was a lot of people resolving their issues with each other, only to end up working together to face Shoyo / Utsuro in the coming seasons, which I didnt mind.

Now after all that we can go back to Earth and destroy that planet too! -- Woooo

Fantastic season yet again though, we got a lot of stuff explained and resolved.
Apr 16, 2020 2:38 PM

Aug 2019
Great season but the weakest so far and not because of lack of comedy. Gintama's serious arcs are some of the best I've ever seen in anime but for this one, while I loved most of the things, a few did bother me. It just wasn't as epic or didn't have as much of an impact for me compared to many previous ones.

Anyway, Utsuro's backstory is really messed up and I did feel bad for him. It was understandable how he turned into the monster he is. And while Shoyo tried, he couldn't defeat him and now it's upto his students and their friends to face him.

The best part for me in this season was the focus on the Yato family backstory. Kagura's resolve, Umibozu and Kamui's character development and Kouka and Umibozu's story. The end with the three flowers placed on Kouka's grave was very touching.

We had some really good fights like Katsura's epic one, Umibozu vs Utsuro, Umibozu vs Kamui and Yorozuya-Abuto vs Kamui. Also the focus on Sakamoto and Zura was great, especially the latter's backstory. And the long awaited Joui4 reunion was awesome as expected.

All in all, pretty great but while the previous seasons have been 10, this was an 8/10.
Mayo-13Apr 17, 2020 12:07 AM

I want to know what it is,
this 'sin' they say I've committed.
May 8, 2020 7:09 PM
Feb 2018
The beginning of this arc was alright and like after the 8th episode this season was fire. I think I rate this season a 9 cuz of these last t episodes with the whole Yato and umibozou fight. The oboro and utsuro reveal and the fights. Solid ending to this season.
Aug 13, 2020 9:53 PM

Aug 2018
Amazing arc! This was actually so good!! 10/10

Oct 17, 2020 3:54 AM

Jul 2020
Another revelation about Utsuro. So he has Dissociative Identity Disorder, being killed multiple times were a real psychological torture. Too bad the Shoyo identity doesn't win against his bad persona, but I'm still hoping Shoyo is still alive within him and we'll eventually had a comeback.

Overall this season and this arc were really great and amazing. There's not a lot of comedy however, the time to time humor are still great since this is a serious arc. There's a lot of revelation about the characters and a great development for the finale.
Oct 25, 2020 4:19 PM

Oct 2017
Everthing has been brought together perfectly! Shoyo planted the seed for his demise. He'll be free!
Feb 28, 2021 5:50 AM

Jul 2020
that was yet a great whole Arc for this season ladies and gentlemen.

I feel bad for hating Oboro these past arcs T_T

5/5 for the last ep ofc 10/10 for this season.
Mar 20, 2021 12:02 AM

May 2020
What a good finale to the Rakuyo Decisive Battle arc, I very much enjoyed it!
So, Yoshida Shoyo is some kind of another version of Utsuro, due to Utsuro dying multiple times? His backstory was somewhat confusing...
Mar 31, 2021 11:02 AM
Aug 2020
Thus ends another fantastic and emotional arc of Gintama. The best parts of this season in particular have got to be the scenes with Kagura and Kamui. I love the dynamic between these two, and I'm so happy to see that Kagura has grown so much as a character.

And that ending honestly gave me chills when Shinpachi said "This is our last battle." I can't wait to see what happens next!
May 18, 2021 7:55 AM
Jul 2018
Wow. I wasn't on board for the first five episodes but everything after was perfect. Kamui backstory, kouka, utsuro backstory... everything was amazing. Probably my favorite Gintama entry.
10/10 second best arc behind shogun
Jun 24, 2021 8:02 AM
Oct 2020
GoldenDevilGamer said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The episode switched the OP and ED, just like the finale of the last season. This episode was basically about Utsuro’s past. And man, he’s been through a lot. And we get to know why and how Utsuro created his Shouyou-self. But unfortunately, the Shouyou-self failed to overcome his Utsuro self and his execution resurrected a cold-hearted Utsuro.

Utsuro ended up using his immortality powers to climb up the ranks of the Tendoshuu, while seeking for a strong enough power that can kill him. And we get to know that the most powerful leaders of the Tendoshuu have control of their own planets that have an Altana source. The key for them is encarved in their hands, but it seems like that’s not much useful when Utsuro was able to cut off their hands for himself. And that’s a whole lot of planets destroyed…

And after losing so many fights, Oboro is finally dead… only when we start to actually sympathize him. Well, and it seems like Takasugi is respecting his death and he’ll bring him back to Earth to bury him there. And it’s time for everyone to go back to Earth to defend it from Utsuro’s plans. After ED scene shows the Yorozuya talking about the reruns and the live-action movie.

Last 3 chapters of the arc were adapted (chapters 593-595). Interestingly enough, this arc started off with a backstory for Utsuro, and ended with more backstory for Utsuro. And now when I look back, the Shogun arc started off with Shigeshige and his sister, and ended the same way too. And the Shinsengumi arc started with everyone mourning for the loss of someone, and ended with everyone saying farewell to a group of people. Does that mean that the final arc will end with

When I originally read the Rakuyou arc in the manga, I thought that it wasn't close to the caliber of the SA and FS arc, though this adaptation really changed my view on this arc. Due to a fast paced adaptation, the anime felt much more intense than the manga (minus the episode where Umibouzu loses his other arm). Gintama adapting 4 chapters per episode makes every episode feel like it progressed the story much more. Anyways, the FS and SA arc are still better, but only by a bit. What the Rakuyou arc lacked that the previous two arcs had was a major plot twist. The SA arc had Gintoki killing Shouyou and the FS arc had Utsuro's reveal. Plus Shigeshige and Isaburo's death was more impactful that Oboro's death. But I guess the real "feels" were supposed to come from Umibouzu and Kouka's past. Action and fight wise, this arc was better than the FS arc (since that arc didn't have any major fights except for Utsuro vs. everyone) and worse than the SA arc (because Gin vs. Takasugi can't be matched). Story wise, I would say that this arc was better than the SA arc (since the Joui backstory was really the only super important backstory, while the Shogun assassination became a sub-plot rather than the main focus), but weaker than the FS arc (since the Shinsengumi going rogue, the Joui rebels teaming up and Utsuro really added to the arc).

5/5

Bro, I wanted to ask. The GIF-sorta thing that appears below a comment when you post one shows Gintoki and Takasugi fighting but I haven't seen their fight starting like that when they fought in the SA arc. Where is it originally from?
Jun 24, 2021 8:08 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Robeast17 said:
GoldenDevilGamer said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The episode switched the OP and ED, just like the finale of the last season. This episode was basically about Utsuro’s past. And man, he’s been through a lot. And we get to know why and how Utsuro created his Shouyou-self. But unfortunately, the Shouyou-self failed to overcome his Utsuro self and his execution resurrected a cold-hearted Utsuro.

Utsuro ended up using his immortality powers to climb up the ranks of the Tendoshuu, while seeking for a strong enough power that can kill him. And we get to know that the most powerful leaders of the Tendoshuu have control of their own planets that have an Altana source. The key for them is encarved in their hands, but it seems like that’s not much useful when Utsuro was able to cut off their hands for himself. And that’s a whole lot of planets destroyed…

And after losing so many fights, Oboro is finally dead… only when we start to actually sympathize him. Well, and it seems like Takasugi is respecting his death and he’ll bring him back to Earth to bury him there. And it’s time for everyone to go back to Earth to defend it from Utsuro’s plans. After ED scene shows the Yorozuya talking about the reruns and the live-action movie.

Last 3 chapters of the arc were adapted (chapters 593-595). Interestingly enough, this arc started off with a backstory for Utsuro, and ended with more backstory for Utsuro. And now when I look back, the Shogun arc started off with Shigeshige and his sister, and ended the same way too. And the Shinsengumi arc started with everyone mourning for the loss of someone, and ended with everyone saying farewell to a group of people. Does that mean that the final arc will end with

When I originally read the Rakuyou arc in the manga, I thought that it wasn't close to the caliber of the SA and FS arc, though this adaptation really changed my view on this arc. Due to a fast paced adaptation, the anime felt much more intense than the manga (minus the episode where Umibouzu loses his other arm). Gintama adapting 4 chapters per episode makes every episode feel like it progressed the story much more. Anyways, the FS and SA arc are still better, but only by a bit. What the Rakuyou arc lacked that the previous two arcs had was a major plot twist. The SA arc had Gintoki killing Shouyou and the FS arc had Utsuro's reveal. Plus Shigeshige and Isaburo's death was more impactful that Oboro's death. But I guess the real "feels" were supposed to come from Umibouzu and Kouka's past. Action and fight wise, this arc was better than the FS arc (since that arc didn't have any major fights except for Utsuro vs. everyone) and worse than the SA arc (because Gin vs. Takasugi can't be matched). Story wise, I would say that this arc was better than the SA arc (since the Joui backstory was really the only super important backstory, while the Shogun assassination became a sub-plot rather than the main focus), but weaker than the FS arc (since the Shinsengumi going rogue, the Joui rebels teaming up and Utsuro really added to the arc).

5/5

Bro, I wanted to ask. The GIF-sorta thing that appears below a comment when you post one shows Gintoki and Takasugi fighting but I haven't seen their fight starting like that when they fought in the SA arc. Where is it originally from?
It's from OP 16. They changed the visuals for the last half of OP 16 to fit the SA arc starting from episode 300 onwards.

Jul 18, 2021 12:44 AM

Apr 2021
Another Brilliant season ended. Utsuro... I feel for you. Oboro died when I started to sympathise with him. Next season might be lighthearted. Looking forward to it. This season was definitely 10/10 for me
Jul 26, 2021 12:15 PM

Oct 2012
Oh my god, three of these mediocre "serious" arcs in a row. I'm glad it's over now and we can go back to the comedy. Really don't like what they're doing with Shoyo as a character, this whole character just doesn't make any sense.
Aug 11, 2021 11:20 PM

Mar 2021
great season and episode, entering the final arc soon *_*
AzraiiiAug 11, 2021 11:33 PM
🐐

Nov 25, 2021 4:15 AM

Jun 2020
This season grew on me as I watched it. The second half of it was so freaking good. I understand why some people may not like it, but honestly it was a necessary info dump and there was still comedy. Gotta give it 10/10 rounded up from a 9.5, definitely not as good as season 4 but it's a great continuation. Might go down later though

Next up is the Slip arc, I'm glad I didn't watch it chronologically in the middle of season 4, cause I want to see all these characters happy one last time before the final arc
Jan 4, 2022 3:02 PM

May 2018
There were a lot of sad scenes that made me cry in this arc, plus a lot of important things were revealed! This season was hype overall but felt too short to engage with, but still amazing and in my top 5 serious arcs! Things gonna get more real here
Mar 3, 2022 7:36 PM

Nov 2010
Oboro has finally redeemed himself.

Hmm, interesting reveal about Utsuru and his goal. Now I get it. Interesting villain. RIP Shouyou.

So, that's the reason why Kankou survived. He still has a purpose for the final battle.

9/10
Mar 19, 2022 12:12 PM

Feb 2012
If Utsuro just want to die why would he want to destroy earth when he Can just Leave it and die like Kouka
Rip Oboro he wanted to be part of the group but couldn't.

I liked the deep thoughts about why Shoyo smiled as gin was about to behead him.

「 To other people, I might not have changed at all, but I feel like I was able to change... 」

May 30, 2022 4:52 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
I feel lack that after all Utsuro endured during his immortal life it kinda makes sense that he became fucked up like that, though the chopped arm to use as a key to destroy the planet damn that's definitely hardcore, but the explanations about Utsuro were interesting to conclude this arc, and RIP Oboro.
Well pretty nice season for the action part but it doesn't really feel like Gintama anymore, I mean without the comedy it doesn't have the same taste.
Jul 30, 2022 5:22 AM
Jul 2018
Started with revelations related to Utsuro & ended with more revelation with Utsuro!
This arc is as great SA & FS, but by like .001%. This was one hell of an arc, and I loved it.
Amazing conclusion to an amazing arc. Loved the scene with three flowers on Kagura's mom Grave. The last scene was hype.
RIP oboro, he was truly a hidden hero!

The Universal war is coming!!!!
I'm gonna purori-hen and watch it after SS arc!
Sep 11, 2022 4:20 AM

Apr 2013
So Shoyo is some random dude with too much Altana who got tortured by bad people and thus decided that all people are bad and became evil. Calling this the typical story of an evil antagonist would be an understatement.

And thus finishes the flashback arc. Certainly one of the worst Gintama arcs so far, the backstories were retarded and the big baddie just walks away without killing anyone for no reason. The fights were at least quite enjoyable. 4/10
Oct 2, 2022 6:20 AM

Jan 2020
From the way I see it, Utsuro had always wanted to die but now there is some contradicting feeling inside him that wanted to live. Otherwise, his retreat from his battle with Umibozu doesn't make sense...
Oct 2, 2022 6:21 AM

Jan 2020
Suprisingly a quitentertaining season, I think this season would be on par or better than season 4 if big budget is allocated for this season...
Dec 7, 2022 11:13 PM

Aug 2018
Finaly another short but very important arc, I guess now that we seen another Utsuro past flashback its time to head to the final arc.

Really liked this arc in general, the fight choreography and emotional moments were spot on again, some characters really got a well deserved development and likability added to them. I'd say that this is great introduction to final arc and hopefully what awaits us won't dissapoint
Dec 25, 2022 4:16 AM

Apr 2022
another amazing season with loads of beautiful moments. 10/10 for me again.

onto the last arc!!

also, merry christmas from me lmao.
Apr 18, 2023 3:58 AM
Aug 2022
I can't believe this cheesy arc made me score one of my favorite series 3.

Jun 6, 2023 5:39 AM

Jul 2016
NordicHorde said:
MistyBlue said:
I probably missed something...but how is Utsuro any different from Kouka in the sense that immortal beings die from being away from their home planet?

It doesn't make any sense. If he wants to die, all he has to do is stay away from earth for a while. During the fight with Umibozu, he runs out of magic bullshit juice and is injured. All he had to do was not go back to earth, instead of committing genocide and trying to destroy the planet.

Yep.

We have the story of Umibozos wife dying because she stayed too far away from her home planet. 

Shit is dumb. 

Brought the season down to 7/10 for me.
Aug 1, 2023 3:07 PM

Mar 2019
Amazing ending to the Rakuyou arc. While I always liked Umibozu a lot, found Kamui badass and also was somewhat interested in Kagura's backstory, I never really cared about them as much as I do with the best part of Gintama, which is everything related to Shoka Sonjuku and Shoyo. Having said that, Kouka's backstory was weirdly entertaining to watch and so was Kamui's story so this was interesting. 

However, by far, the best part of this arc for me was everything surrounding Utsuro and Takasugi. The battle between Utsuro and Umibozu was amazing, Takasugi's return was great and even Oboro's past was very interesting, even if I didn't understand why he betrayed Shoyo and his death wasn't that sad. The first episode was still amazing with how many things were revealed and then Utsuro's scene was a very nice way of ending this. The story can't go in many ways anymore but I still don't know what to expect. 

Overall, it was an amazing arc, almost as good as SA and FS although probably better than the whole SA arc because the fight between Takasugi and Gintoki was the moment SA became the best, but that was almost at the end. 

Also they switched the opening and ending again and it was just as amazing as the other times. I can't get enough of it, lol.
Alex_TheForestAug 1, 2023 4:10 PM
Come on man,where is that Noragami season 3 masterpiece.We want it, Bones!

May 9, 2:43 PM
Nov 2023
i give this anime rating on 9/10 because Visual,Plot and character development is good.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» Anyone could explain ep 12 i couldnt able to understand whats happening?

Mugiwarayaa___ - Feb 15

6 by seelenfresser51 »»
Feb 17, 2:10 PM

» Katsura loves ikumatsu ?

Mugiwarayaa___ - Feb 16

4 by Tsuna10vongola »»
Feb 16, 4:40 PM

Poll: » Gintama. Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

GoldenDevilGamer - Jan 22, 2017

109 by otakuweek »»
Jan 11, 2:50 PM

Poll: » Gintama. Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

GoldenDevilGamer - Mar 19, 2017

67 by Alex_TheForest »»
Aug 1, 2023 1:52 PM

Poll: » Gintama. Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

-Stray - Mar 12, 2017

105 by Alex_TheForest »»
Jul 27, 2023 5:39 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.