Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
May 26, 2020 11:25 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Strange movie, to say the least.

Characters behaviours are certainly very different (in a negative sense) and the forced tension/friction between the characters off. Sanji-Zoro, we’re accustomed to that. But Nami-Usopp and then Sanji going bonkers on Luffy was awkwardly introduced and handled, in my opinion.

Luffy’s reaction to the loss of his crew-mates was definitely different to what I was expecting but nothing really to gripe on from my side. If anything, I thought it was handled fairly well. A bit more to emphasise before the rematch would’ve been ideal but with only 91 minutes, I understand the reasoning to rush it a bit on that.

Villain was certainly interesting. In fact, the concept of the Movie was intriguing but lacking in practice at the same time, to sum it up. Damn, there were some dark moments I totally wasn’t expecting too. I’d argue it was a needlessly too dark considering how abruptly it ended off ultimately.

Animation style was miles apart from the tv series quite obviously, but I’m a fan of this style so it didn’t really bother me too much. Some solid animation at times and somewhat poor in others, I’m not going to bicker too much there.

Direction was pretty good in the first half, as expected of the great Mamoru Hosada-sama, but then second half was sort of meh, I reckon. I’ve watched Bakemono no Ko and Mirai no Mirai and loved them but something about this movie just didn’t click for me. Welp, here’s to hoping Summer Wars will fill that up whenever I get the mood to give that a shot (tentative date, later this Friday).

All in all, slightly disappointing if I’m to be brutally honest but fairly good nonetheless. As such, a solid 6/10. Perhaps I’m being a little strict here but it was a really strange experience and I don’t want to neglect that.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Oct 23, 2020 3:26 AM

Sep 2019
It was awesome, totally different Than past one piece movie's. I liked how the movie turn dark, it was totally unexpectable.

7/10
Nov 25, 2020 4:03 AM

May 2016
Since I've watched two of Hosoda's most notable works beforehand, namely The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and Summer Wars, this reminded me of those two films in pretty much every aspect from the art and writing and even its flaws! With how much of a letdown the 5th movie was, I was amazed at how different this was in a good way despite some parts of the film leaving more to be desired such as the true nature of the Lily Carnation and how it can bring out the worst in people not being explained.

From the very beginning of the series, One Piece has proven that it can be dark at times but the film's second half surpassed my expectations to the point of overkill. I'm actually surprised that this movie didn't have the psychological horror tag with how freaky things ended up being even if it was just for a little while, as strange as it would be to see that in One Piece of all things. To think that one of the most grotesque shows of body horror I've seen in a while came from this franchise... Bruh.

Dec 4, 2020 5:11 PM

Feb 2015
Pretty good film although some of the in crew fighting feels like forced tension and the characters acting very different from normal. Animation is pretty good too for a 2005 movie.
An island from a dream within a dream? I could never pass up a great adventure like this!
Dec 10, 2020 12:09 PM
Aug 2020
I hope Hosoda will direct another One Piece film in the future, this was amazing
Jan 15, 2021 3:03 PM

May 2019
This was not that great in my opinion. The animation was good but the story was too rushed. Also some developments were forced.

I thought for a second Shaft made this.

5/10
Apr 29, 2021 10:58 PM

Aug 2015
Well, a weird movie, to say the least. 6/10

I liked the approach they took to the villain. Baron was interesting and the way he acted throughout the movie was well executed. The animation is kinda similar to what they did in Sabaody (in fact, many scenes were similar, including the final punch). Can´t say I liked the art style, but it fit the mood for the last part.

Now, everything else was terrible. They forced the characters and their behavior in a very unnatural way in order to make the plot advance and make sense. The only Strawhat that acted like they suppose to was Robin (and I´m pretty sure this is pre-Water 7, so she can barely be considered one yet). Luffy was terrible in both the psychological aspect of the character and the physical strenght as well. If you want to see how Luffy is supposed to act, watch Dead End, instead of this. None of the drama of losing his friends worked because (unlike the whole Thriller bark-sabaody-impel down-marineforc arcs) nothing was setup here, and the situation was completely different. Nami was acting like an ass and even went to flirt with the other guy for no reason, Zoro and Sanji were just annoying and didn´t do anything during the whole movie, Ussop took a jab on every situation and all of them lost to fodders. I truly thought the explanation for all of this was going to be "They are drugged because the island have something that manipulates people and makes them fight" or something. But it was just the writer completely going against their character.
Like, you´re gonna tell me Luffy is going to be stopped by a dude shooting arrows, when he literally died twice fighting Crocodile and still went for the third round in order to stop a civil war. Now here he´s done by the time 4 arrows are shoot at him. And for how interesting Omatsuri and his plant-curse were plot wise, being beating down in two punches just felt underwhelming.

I have to give credit because they definitively tried a different direction, but I can´t say those decisions were good. Plenty of plot holes, lots of bad characterization, hit or miss animation and a forced conclusion with some dark panels in order to make it feel more serious. Like someone said, this didn´t felt like One Piece at all. In fact, this movie tries to be borderline edgy in order to give shock value, which is always bad if your viewers left with the impression of "bad plot but looked pretty".
Pakumen-Apr 29, 2021 11:08 PM
May 23, 2021 9:37 PM
Apr 2021
Ginchanned said:
Strawberrycake48 said:
Wow. One Piece looks like it got the SHAFT treatment- Toei surprised me!! *o*
This was freaking awesome from start to finish, and also very creep & unsettling.

Art and direction were gorgeous and really brought the crew's zany shenanigans to life! I loved every second of this and the comedy was on point too.

Honestly, it was like a bizarre mash-up between the Davy Back Fight arc, Sabaody Archipelago and Skypiea (with the Ordeals)!

Mamoru Hosoda, the one who directed the film, left TOEI Animation after this movie and went to MadHouse, which is a good choice since that's an amazing anime studio. Hosoda most likely doesn't like TOEIs way of doing the animation (since it's so shitty, especially the TV series). TOEI, up to this date, is still fucking up the animation for One Piece TV Series just to milk this popular show. I hate them so much.

Toei has like one the best work environment and salary than most animation industries in japan, hell they even have a salary instead paying per cut, they also have a labor union and housing aid the studio is considered a great starting point for young animators to get big.
Sep 4, 2021 2:39 PM

Jun 2019
I was NOT ready for all these feels, favorite movie so far.
"NAKAMA!"
Dec 12, 2021 12:18 AM

Dec 2020
by farr one of my fav movies. tied with the fourth one i realllyy enjoyed this one

starting off with, the OUTFITSS im digging everyones looks this movie !! (putting this as a spoiler bc its longer than i thought it'd be lol)

moving onn, the amount of times this movir broke my little heart god damn. nami getting mad at usop and him just trying his best to make up with her when he didnt even know what he did wrong, sanji lashing out on luffy, luffy feeling guilty about things, the lil girl telling her dad that she could hear even the smallest whispers,etc etc but i do agree with some comments on how the character didnt really feel like One Piece, it reaaaally felt like a more complicated-dramatic version of them ane not that it was Bad just that iy didn't really feel like One Piece yk. some of the drama was just .. not it too. they wouldve been fine for other characters but not with these here. zoro and sanji fight allll the time but they went on a bit too long here. they usually just banter a bit, maybe have a lil cat fight but thats it -they brush it off after. nami also wouldn't go that far, she'd hit him a couple more but thats it

animation was really good this movie tho, big fan of the 3d shots. that boat race scene was amazing, there was a certain nami head turn scene that i couldn't forget for some reason. like it wasn't even a close-up shot of her but it was really nice

ending felt a bit rushed. we know how the baron story goes but what abt that lily shit?? did the flower just die from one arrow shot? did the baron disappear along with it??? Tf. and we could've at least gotten a make-up scene of crew who fought with each other.

still, enjoyed the movie a whole lot. it was reaaally fun, id rewatch it any time
Dec 16, 2021 11:03 PM

Jun 2013
Tbh it was a good movie but I feel like it doesn't fit in very well with the overall story of one piece. Not just that it was dark because one piece can be very dark but i dunno the vibe was a bit off. Maybe it was some of the camera work that made me feel like that - I enjoyed the way the characters were drawn but not so much the camera angles.

It would've been nice to wrap up the issues a bit more in the ending since when the strawhats do fight the nice thing is seeing them make up - which we don't really see. Also the fights weren't for a good reason, in the main story (e.g. Nami, Usopp) the reason for their conflict with the crew was deeply personal but here it was just built up stress which I feel they usually handle better than was depicted here.

Anyway I do think it's an decent movie with an interesting premise and very unique - I just didn't like how choppy it felt.
May 8, 2022 8:31 AM
A sandwich

Jul 2020
Wow, this really feels like a movie directed by Hosoda from the angles to the animation direction. While I'm not a big fan of the scuffed style, it conveys emotion in a way the more detailed and clean one doesn't, which can be seen more on focus specially during Luffy's battle with the Baron.

Speaking of emotions, this movie had a lot, almost compensating for the previous one lacking in them. The quarrels and distrusts, the sense of loneliness from the Baron and the moustache dude, the fear and longiness for safety of the dad, there's quite the bunch to talk about. I also don't think the crew were acting out of character necessarily considering what was happening during the Water 7 arc. In that regard I agree with @jal90

Now the stakes are high for the next one.
⠓⠥⠍⠁⠝⠊⠞⠽ ⠞⠓⠗⠕⠥⠛⠓ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠎⠞⠥⠏⠊⠙⠊⠞⠽⠂ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠺⠊⠇⠇ ⠎⠅⠊⠏ ⠺⠁⠎⠓⠊⠝⠛ ⠞⠓⠑⠊⠗ ⠓⠁⠝⠙⠎ ⠁⠝⠙ ⠑⠝⠙ ⠥⠏ ⠗⠥⠊⠝⠊⠝⠛ ⠊
⠞ ⠋⠕⠗ ⠑⠧⠑⠗⠽⠕⠝⠑
⠎⠓⠊⠊⠅⠕ ⠁⠕⠎⠕⠊⠂ ⠼⠃⠼⠚⠼⠁⠼⠓
Jun 14, 2022 1:37 PM

Nov 2010
I guess this is the mystery/thriller/horror version of One Piece? Not bad, but it doesn't fit One Piece IMO. I also didn't like the final battle, it was mostly drama and the villain is just an archer. 7/10
Jun 23, 2022 4:57 AM

Sep 2018
Pretty good movie, equal with movie 4 right now. 8/10. Those horror elements at the end were pretty surprising, neat little twist.
Jul 16, 2022 1:50 AM
Aug 2018
that's one hell of an acid trip
Jul 25, 2022 5:13 AM

Apr 2020
Beautifully animated, brimming with the lovely adventurous tone of the series with a remarkably fitting dark/horror tone seen nowhere else in canon or non-canon OP.

The dark/horror tone is very very different from the general optimistic tone of OP.
Top-notch director, by Mamoru Hosoda.
Oct 28, 2022 8:11 PM

Sep 2015
I do understand the whole point of the animations was intended, but the still images still bother me. Having all the animations jaggy and all would've been fine if it weren't for those.

The antagonist is for sure more interesting and better than Stampedes antagonist. Some gags were funny.

Overall a 5/10 for me.
August 6th 2023: Biggest upset ever, deception, selfishness, or scammed, manipulated. Heavy damage costs, and more. Days since: 15 Last updated: 8/21/2023

One Piece Episode 1041 & 1042 & 1047 & 1048 & 95.75%/1049 & 1053 were a mistake and Uta brought the salvation -AhriTheS3xyFox

Nov 16, 2022 10:49 PM
Mar 2020
The best of the One Piece movies I've seen so far. Hosoda perfectly deconstructed the formula of One Piece.

It was great to see Luffy finally have to deal with the consequences of one of his many idiotic and self-centered decisions. The "trial of hell" gave me real "Davy Back Fight" vibes. Luffy always just jumps into things without ever considering the consequences, but everyone on the crew just enable it and things always work out for them in the end. Not this time though, I loved seeing what it was like for him to almost lose it all.

Luffy is an objectively terrible person. Self-centered, mentally retarded (actually), and virtually uncaring at times, he only gets serious when the chips are down, and never before that. He's either always distracted or stuck somewhere, and the shtick gets old after a while. What's worse is that everyone on the crew, especially Zoro just enable this destructive behavior.

Baron Omatsuri rightfully made it very clear to Luffy that he lost his Nakama because of the dumb decisions he made, and that their deaths were entirely on him (if you remember, no one else wanted to participate at first, and he forced them to because it "sounded fun"). Then when Luffy tried to punch his way out of yet another predicament, the Baron beat him down again. Exquisite.

After the Davy Back Fight, Luffy has mellowed out and become a lot less insufferable, and more ready to fight for his friends. I like to think the ending of this movie is canon (as it premiered right after that arc), that he really and truly felt the hopelessness and despair of losing everyone, and that he mellowed out to prevent that from ever happening again.

Hosoda's movies are never easy to get through. You really feel every single second and he always throws a lot of heavy dramatic stuff at you. Definitely a different take for a usually cheerful series, but one that was much needed and greatly appreciated.

8/10.
Dec 4, 2022 2:44 PM
Nov 2022
Esse filme é One piece?
A direção do filme é incrivel eu realmente amo esse estilo de animação e sei que muitas pessoas não gostam mas essa animação casa perfeitamente com esse filme por ser mais de terror/horror por ter a flor macabra
Mar 13, 2023 2:15 AM
Sep 2021
I hated it. Wonder why fans out there love it. The art style made everyone looked so ugly(especially the handsome Zoro).
Also, the straw hats splitting up is so pathetic, no way zoro would leave luffy all alone & luffy became an edgelord is what drove me mad

And then the movie briefly killed the strawhats, wtf

0/10 L movie
Apr 17, 2023 12:18 AM

Dec 2020
It took an unexpected dark turn by the end. Really enjoyed it. Nice art style, animation and clever movie direction.
Jun 9, 2023 11:01 AM

Aug 2019
Oh my goodness

This is one of my favourite movies!!

I really like how dark it got halfway through.

The animation was ideal for this film; it gave the impression of being silly, but it worked wonderfully with the plot.

I love how Sanji seemed jealous when Luffy shouted yummy to the other chef cooking.

Also, by the end, the flower was incredibly frightening.

Overall, a fantastic movie, I’m so glad I’m rewatching them.
Jun 19, 2023 10:05 AM
Dec 2022
erhgaerthgsdgfsrtghnsrthn
Jul 4, 2023 3:09 AM
Feb 2021
The animation was the worst, I love One Piece but this one hurt my eyes 😣
Jul 8, 2023 11:08 AM
Jul 2023
btdfhbb trghgr ge
Jul 19, 2023 7:38 AM
Oct 2019
Wow Mamoru Hosoda? I didn't know he was directing One Piece Movie.

This is the first time One Piece movie actually feels cinematic.
It's looks weird because we are so used to the usual tv series art style, it was definitely experimental but this is actually really cool.

I really like the antagonist here, Baron not just hurt Luffy physically but also mentally as well.

7/10
Definitely the best One Piece movie so far.
davidyodo24Jul 19, 2023 7:47 AM
Jul 27, 2023 5:41 PM
Dec 2022
patchface said:
AnimeHiggin said:
erhgaerthgsdgfsrtghnsrthn
niceeeeeeeeeeee

yessirrrrrrrrrrr
Aug 12, 2023 9:14 AM

Jun 2008
Man I wish we got more dark movies/specials like this one. Also seen a YT vid that covered it well.
Crazy and bizarre with a touch of hopelessness and body horror; safe to say, for the average shoenen watcher it's too much, but if you're into experimental weirdness, look no further. The plot's very simple and the ending was pretty abrupt tho.
Loved the fights and tension between ZoSan & UsoNa, some great moments for a shipper of those. The change in tone from the usual non-serious bickering was blatant. I would have enjoyed more development and friction with a resolution among ALL the crew members since we don't see that so often in the series. 
RenaPsychoKillerAug 12, 2023 9:18 AM

Watching, waiting, commiserating
Sep 15, 2023 9:34 AM
Apr 2020
Very different from normal one piece movies
Oct 7, 2023 6:18 PM

Jun 2015
I loved the darker atmosphere, the movie did an amazing job building up tension.

I see a lot of complaints about the cast being 'out of character' and I think they're missing the fact that... that's the point. Of course Nami wouldn't believe Usopp betrayed her. And while Zoro and Sanji bicker, you could tell Sanji was genuinely hurt by Zoro's words this time - of course they wouldn't let it go that far normally. Those should've been the first signs that this weird island was doing something to their minds, and foreshadowing for what was to come.

I quite enjoyed the side characters, especially the Chobihige captain.

The action scenes weren't flashy like in the anime but they were very cruel and nervewracking (seeing Luffy struggling like that was stressing me OUT!) and I think that helps the film have a more horror-y feel, which you can tell is what it's going for. Speaking of which, the scene were all of the Baron's companions turn into plants was so sudden, it did give me a bit of a shock.

Another complaint i have seen a lot is the 'plot holes' and how 'unexplained' this movie goes. Personally, as I'm understanding this as a One Piece horror movie, I can really appreciate that as leaving the creepier details to the imagination is a trademark of the genre.

8/10. Great movie!

I AM THE ONE CALLED POWER!
ANIME LIST  🩸 MANGA LIST  🩸 CARDS  🩸 CHALLENGES 
How foolish and conceited these humans be... 

Oct 8, 2023 5:18 AM

Mar 2020
That movie was unexpected compared from the past 5 movies. I love it. The animation is amazing too.
Oppai check!

111 cm: Hancock
110 cm: Zoro
100 cm: Robin
Nov 14, 2023 10:47 PM

Jun 2016
Early on in the movie, I thought it would be nothing but a visual spectacle. But the story captured me so fast after the ring toss challenge. Even though the voice acting for certain characters was very rough, I thoroughly enjoyed this movie in a way I cannot say for the 5 movies that preceded it. Definitely the best so far.
Dec 27, 2023 5:13 PM
Apr 2022
A really nice change from one piece, the setup, VA, animation and reduction of music is something that makes this movie so unique from the original series.
Mar 22, 11:00 AM

Jun 2017
Well the animations were surely different , fluidic and smooth.Honestly can't say iam a big fan of this when it comes to this series.I love the clefts and crevices of OP character arts and the anatomy which fills substantial part of the screen.The charm lies in the silly gestures in the interactions.
As for the plot ,the supposed conflicts and the overall narrative felt very half assed.I mean i don't have a problem going for a serious note.I came to love Luffy, for once accounting the negative outcome which generates due to dubious decisions .Other than that everything felt so wishy washy to the point i felt there was must be something else going around in the background which was propelling the negative attributes.To my surprise it was left open .The conflicts felt very superficial or in some devoid of any backing like it was forcefully inserted.For example Nami who was drawn to be pragmatic even when her desires causes upheavel and turn physical is shown to emasculate Usopp for no apparent reason.The crew mostly left to do whatever in the background or in some very one dimensional like Zoro and Sanji.I don't even know what was the purpose of Robin trying to uncover the mysteries behind the plant .Pick her out the , movie won't be missing anything.
Barely gets a 5 from me due to the villain having an interesting backstory.
May 3, 6:53 AM
Jun 2021
SAOBODY PUNCH PEAAAK
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» One Piece Movie 6 looks like it was done by SHAFT

_jum3sixt_ - Feb 22, 2017

5 by Cubefield »»
Aug 23, 2021 8:09 AM

» Mamoru Hosoda

EvenJellyOn - Jul 2, 2014

2 by EvenJellyOn »»
Jan 29, 2015 3:14 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.