Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jun 22, 2021 7:35 AM

Nov 2015
i went totally blind on it, didn't read even the synopsys, and it was an amazing surprise.

cant wait to see how it unfolds. 10/10
Jun 22, 2021 4:01 PM
Feb 2020
TenshiTobacco said:
Weird stuff, cheap but stylish visuals. Reminds me of Yuasa a bit (tatami galaxy/devilman).

This surely has some potential to become a thing, so I'm in.
I have no idea where you got cheap from, the animation is looking top-tier right now.
Jun 22, 2021 4:04 PM
Feb 2020
Great episode, the first anime that actually intrigued me in a while. From the way the star kid looked pissed at the end, I'm guessing he's the one that blacked out the school.
Jun 22, 2021 4:24 PM
Mar 2021
Its now episode 1 and its good.. i have the feeling that this anime will make u really think outside the box.. maybe.. haha.. just what would u do if u and the whole class would suddenly disappear, into another space in time.. just as explained in the anime, the school and them are trapped in a space, where time still flows normally.. but just when they were all given the authority to make rules within that space, where no one was an excemption except for that one guy, they were all able to get out of that space and into an island maybe.. just what exactly happened? And what will happen next? And how did everything happen in the first place? Anyways, i rate the episode a 8.5 of 10, 8.5 for both story and art.. :)
Jun 22, 2021 7:04 PM

Feb 2018
THayfa said:
I have no idea where you got cheap from, the animation is looking top-tier right now.

CGI carousel (the cheapest one, like arifureta), many frames where animators just don't draw character's faces, bodies, etc (and sometimes they don't draw them even close-up), most of the hard-to-animate elements are a slideshow (for example, end of the episode and panic of the crowd).

Yeah, it's stylish, but it definitely not a top-tier lmao. If you want to see top-tier animation in the original show, watch Wonder Egg or Vivy.
Jun 23, 2021 1:26 AM

Mar 2016
This was not on my 'plan to watch' list but this had still caught my attention because of the compelling art. So, I tried it. And, damn! It's so intriguing!

It didn't feel like the fantasy element only existed to build fight scenes. Feels like the powers itself will be treated like a character, which is a rare thing in anime.

The mystery was awesome!

Was everything an illusion? Is the school sinking in water? Is the guy with the sexy eyes the villain? Shit, I really wanna know more!

Also, I missed Madhouse! I haven't seen their work in quite some time.
Jun 23, 2021 3:21 AM
Jan 2019
This is giving me a lot of Lord of the Flies vibes.Especially that boy with star sign.
Jun 23, 2021 10:44 AM

Jul 2020
brave anime, out of the ordinary. I found him much more philosophical than simply narrative. in this episode we can notice many metaphors of life in society. this is going to be a good anime to pass the time and reflect.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 23, 2021 4:35 PM
May 2021
Very good first episode, I was just watching it because It was the first thing that appear on the app that I use and it looked interesting enough to put on the background while I ate dinner, but it really hooked me. I have no idea where it's going but it seems interesting nonetheless. Does anyone know another anime who has similar art style? I mean a modern one, I notice it has kinda 90s or 2000 era style but it is refreshig to see it nowadays. Also also it really scared me when the guy got hit with the bat cause I had hearphones on lol
Jun 23, 2021 4:45 PM

Apr 2020
Super cool, I can already start speculating on these allegories.

I'm having a hard time interpreting that grim reaper scene.

This looks like an actually good original *unlike WEP* lesgoo I'm very excited for this
Jun 23, 2021 6:04 PM
Jul 2018
dude first i'm going to start commenting on the introduction of characters that are amazing how the show itself demonstrates it so easily, the place where they're already very weird for e-students, Another thing I liked was the rules is the conflict over the rules which was also a bad thing for the students had practically lost their freedom, but in the end things really became They decided as the very end of the episode which was something interesting, the summary of everything was very surprised episode for the viewer anxious for the next episode which should also be something good for this Address.
Jun 23, 2021 11:14 PM

Apr 2015
Oh wow, a very nice first episode! It did a wonderful job of establishing the setting, introducing some of the characters, and grabbing the watcher's attention with the intriguing premise. I was surprised to see the MCs already broke out from the darkness by the end of the episode, but it made me more excited to see how the rest of the story will pan out. Star boy was definitely not happy with that lol.

I know it's only the first episode, but hopefully it will only get even more interesting from here on out and won't go downhill within the next few episodes. A lot of anime-originals I've seen lately have an amazing start but a very disappointing ending, so hopefully this show won't follow the same pattern.

"As promised, all that you seek, all that we desire, is prepared up there. On top of the Tower."
Jun 24, 2021 5:31 AM

May 2021
This anime has the wierdest story, I have ever seen
animation is kinda different and no matter the anime name is unique
VELVET_BLUESJun 24, 2021 6:40 AM
Jun 25, 2021 12:52 AM
Aug 2020
VanishingKira said:
Very densely packed episode. Take Lord of the Flies+Mind Games+some supernatural aspects and you have this show.

Alot of emphasis on cats for whatever reason? Maybe Shingo Natsume just really likes cats, there's probably more to it. Also a very direct reference to The Drifting Classroom manga.

It seems like she was about to say "wouldn't that been on the news..." before she was interrupted by chance. A school of secretly experimented on kids by chance? A secret government project by chance? They put alot of emphasis on "being on the news."

Cap easily triggered much lol. I noticed that tick after the guy said this.

Maybe this Star guy quite literally was the "god" of this world. Or better yet the authority figure of this "world," Cap thought he was in charge but he wasn't. Star guy was as seen when he penalizes Cap.

This rebellion happened quicker than the one in Infinite Ryvius lol, only took one episode.

Power/Authority (or a false sense of authority) corrupts Cap. He receives the consequences.

This shit look cool.

The moments Nozomi jumps and the world changed she gains the authority over the next world, the Star guy shoots her a dirty look when the worlds switches if you noticed.

Just speculating on my part of the authority thing, but that what I took from most of this episode.

Edit: Thinking on it, it might have just been her questioning his authority that ticked him off. Nozomi seems to be pretty free spirited from what we've seen so far. So might have got a bit ahead of myself, still it's fun to speculate.
I would add one more thing. When the guy who says world has to be fair and square. She says you say as if you are god. And then the girl says "And has the world ever really been 'fair'. ". Saying this wasn't natural at all but it fitted very nicely and didn't felt unnatural. It just shows the good writing in this show. I would say that it is the anime of the year. Or best anime in a while if it remains as good as it is or gets better. Huge expectations. 10/10 from the first EP.
Jun 25, 2021 7:59 AM

Oct 2019
Great start, I loved the way it started without going into details hope it continues like this
Jun 25, 2021 10:46 PM
Feb 2021
from an artistic point of view, the perspectives and composition of the frames were so pleasing to look at. the lack of sound added this eerie atmosphere to the whole episode. loved it. might be my favourite from this year already.
Jun 26, 2021 2:24 AM

Jan 2021
Looks interesting... Definitely gonna keep watching to see where it goes !
Jun 26, 2021 11:00 AM
May 2021
It was a good anime the animation was good and it shows by the studio MADHOUSE you out done yourself. I am a little confused I want to know how the super powers work. For me it was difficult to see everything because I couldn’t find it on my Funimation so I used YouTube. It gives me terror in resonance vibes. Other then that really good and excited for the next episode!
Jun 26, 2021 2:15 PM

Nov 2012
Leader did exactly as predicted. Star Faced kid didn't seem too happy at the end.
Jun 27, 2021 9:15 AM
Dec 2016
Damn, that was something. I had started to feel a bit bored by the cliche character designs and stories who had identical pacing and a predictable storyline. One episode is too early but I knew 'Kimetsu no Yaiba' was good from first ep itself. I have a feeling this is going to be the same.

Highly creative visuals; man, the characters _ they do resemble the high schoolers i know of, always expanding their horizons but trying to control nonetheless. characters r real intersting and their quirks and attitude, umm psychologically mature designs; no conflicts in their values and actions yet.
Just saying but this is what I wanted, maybe I am the target audience among those who enjoy mushishi, natsume and friends, 3-gatsu no lion, etc.
Waiting for a great plot with real idiosyncracies to woo me.
Jun 30, 2021 4:29 AM

Jan 2016
God damn, I can't believe we're getting another fantastic anime original after the previous two seasons had Wonder Egg Priority and then Odd Taxi. Imo, episode 1 may have been the best episode 1 I've seen all year. It was insanely well directed, with how off-putting everything is made to be and the lack of any soundtrack while they are still in the void before the explosion of sound at the end. Being thrown right into the mix seemed a little strange at first, but after seeing the entire episode it definitely was for the better. Making the watcher confused to begin with and then learning more rather than beginning with exposition is a bold move, but it paid off for me. I know a lot of people wouldn't be a fan of the animation, but personally I really liked that too. It gives me sort of a Yuasa vibe.
Jun 30, 2021 6:02 AM
Jul 2019
Earlier in the episode you hear one character say "Is the school sinking?," which ties in with all the water at the end of the episode.

I'm speculating that they actually returned to the "real world" at the end, except everything is flooded.
urorororoJun 30, 2021 6:14 AM
Jun 30, 2021 1:00 PM
Sep 2020
it felt like a little boring but i'm intrigued so..., it was ok.
Jun 30, 2021 10:13 PM

Jul 2010
Kinda reminds me of "Drifting Net Cafe" manga. The same "Lord of the Flies" vibe. Also expected heads to explode or smth when there was "a punishment" but I guess this show is not that edgy XDD First episode was... okay. Not sure if I'll watch more, but the animation and female lead are very good.
Jul 1, 2021 12:34 AM
May 2019
NextUniverse said:
idk wtf just happened, it had a Angel Beats type opening, then proceeded to do some Lord of the Flies bs, then some mountain comes up.

this ep's audiovisual were strange too, I mean, that lack of ost and the abstract art was smth for sure.

anyways, good episode.
considering how their airing it I feel like this was meant to be pilot. Madhouse did a similar thing with death parade with its death billiards pilot.
Jul 1, 2021 1:20 AM

Jul 2019
TenshiTobacco said:
THayfa said:

CGI carousel (the cheapest one, like arifureta), many frames where animators just don't draw character's faces, bodies, etc (and sometimes they don't draw them even close-up), most of the hard-to-animate elements are a slideshow (for example, end of the episode and panic of the crowd).

Yeah, it's stylish, but it definitely not a top-tier lmao. If you want to see top-tier animation in the original show, watch Wonder Egg or Vivy.
I get the CGI complaint, madbox is pretty bad at doing CG. The fact that they dont draw character faces is more weird than necessarily cheap, because everything i remember from this director (boogiepop and acca 13, as i havent seen opm in a while) has had this shots where they just dont draw the faces of the characters, for no real reason, it could be a time constraint, but they also did this in the acca 13 ova which was confirmed to have completed production a mouth or two before it aired, so they did have time to correct the faces, the director just did not want it, for what reason, not sure, its not like its cheaper to draw faceless people, the cost of them is the same. The crowd shot where they didnt move is understandable, its hard to animate those, and the episode still moved a decent amount, the running scene at the end, some great background animation in some scenes, etc. Will it be wep quality? Ehhh probably not. Will it be vivy quality? I actually think so yea.
Jul 1, 2021 11:19 AM
May 2019
The animation felt very rough at times but I think this was an early pilot so I'm not gonna fault it for that. The plot is very interesting so far a school banished to another world where the students have to survive
Jul 1, 2021 11:29 AM
Jul 2020
Another highly ambitious show like wonder egg.
I hope it lands a good ending .
But I am betting it will not.
Jul 1, 2021 4:03 PM

Jul 2016
Decent start I guess. Both animation and art-style are being notoriously inspired by Yuasa's works.
Premise, on the other hand, isn't really original and I'm not sure if I will like the characters so I at least hope the writing can keep me interested enough.
Jul 1, 2021 7:44 PM
Jul 2016
Raamzeyy said:
this is really give me yuasa anime vibes and it's so interesting , will looking forward to next episode in summer.
which manga who is this I can't remember? XD
Jul 2, 2021 12:44 PM

Mar 2020
wow it was so good, can't wait for more.
check out odd taxi
Jul 2, 2021 12:50 PM

Jan 2013
really good start, if only it had referenced the muscular twins from eguchi, i'd have been totally elated.
Jul 2, 2021 3:03 PM
Jul 2018
it was... interesting
reminds me a lot of lord of the flies
I didn't really like the glass breaking power, it was kind of freaky to me
the character designs don't look great to me either
also I really didn't like the sound effects for walking, moving, literally everything had a sound effect
its definitely an interesting show lol
Jul 2, 2021 4:18 PM

Jul 2020
This anime was amazing. I like the art style of it it definitely stands out compared to anything I watched recently. Though there were times where I was like WTF but I'm looking forward to seeing how the story develops. I'm guessing the dimension will evolve over time as every episode progresses and it will explain more in detail.
Jul 2, 2021 5:03 PM
Nov 2020
I like the animation style, and the premise is interesting. However, I hope it doesn't get too abstract (like Wonder Egg Priority) where it ends up getting confusing.
Jul 2, 2021 7:09 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Yeah wacky anime. Idk what the hell is goin on. But the mystery element really interesting me. I hope it will be keeps wack until the last episode.

Sus for those star face boy.
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Jul 3, 2021 12:13 AM

Oct 2015
Wow. This episode was amazing, really blew me away. I came in blind and the first thing I thought was that the setup was pretty similar to Drifting Classroom by Umezu Kazuo and it probably did reference it especially with that group chat's name. It's pretty amazing how much ground they covered in a very short run time. No overloading of information, established the premise very well and the powers. The characters and the animation are also pretty good. 5/5 episode
Jul 3, 2021 1:26 AM

Feb 2020
A lot of people talking about the resemblance to Lord of the Flies. Now I haven't read Lord of the Flies but what I did read was the Gone Series by Michael Grant (kinda surprised no one has talked about it here) and from what I've seen in the first episode, this anime heavily resembles the events and themes in Gone.
Gone Series is basically about a town where a bizarre occurrence leads to the disappearance of every adult in that town, leaving everyone below 17 or 18 years of age stuck with no contact to the outside world. Eventually, some gain supernatural powers and some don't and this creates all sorts of rifts and disputes.
The anime basically showcases this plot, but restricted to a school and high-schoolers instead of a town and minors.

In the end, this is just my take on the first episode and things could change by a lot as the plot progresses. Very excited for what this anime has in store.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 3, 2021 4:25 AM
May 2021
Yesterday, I watched the first episode and it was mind-blowing. The art style is so similar to Kimi no Na wa's. I liked it. But I care about the story more than animation and art. I think the story is really interesting, I want to watch episode 2 soon. I can't find words to describe how fascinated I am by the first episode. Everything was so intriguing. For the whole episode, my heart was palpitating. You may not think so but I'm really excited about the oncoming episodes... Gahhh can't wait for it (≧∇≦)/

☆゚°˖* ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
-GoblinJul 4, 2021 7:30 AM
Jul 3, 2021 5:22 AM
Jun 2020
This first episode really got me excited for this one. I love the artstyle, it reminds me of monogatari.
Jul 3, 2021 1:00 PM

Apr 2020
Intresting episode~

Gives me vibes of GONE books series a little bit, becouse of sudden powers, no adults and couse they stucked in one place too.

We saw different characters and how they reacted, some were stressed, some didnt care, some felt useless, some wanted to test their new strength, some planned future, some wanted to rule...

The guy with star on cheek seems to know more than the others, i dont trust him... and the girl who jumped at the end is full of hope, i like her, i wonder if she sees more things than the others or is it just her amazing imagination.

Will the food end soon? how will students react if so? Why the "something" chose exact number of pupils? Is this the end of the world or maby they went back in time over 1000s of years? or maby its another dimension? Why is everything but the mountain underwater? Was the dark just a power of somebody?

Art style is beautiful, animation is on good level, somehow i didnt notice there were no background music and only sunds of things, couse i was so focused on subs XD (just like they were closed in an empty box?) Opening (or was it ending?) sounds nice.

Im gonna watch once new episodes air and see what will happen next~
Jul 3, 2021 7:34 PM
Towel Attendant

Dec 2014
Great artwork and animation. The characters were worth paying attention to and it's only episode one. Good effort!
Jul 3, 2021 7:37 PM

Oct 2020
Hmm, a really interesting setting and plot. I'd love to see more of the whole powers and the different worlds aspect. I definitely have high hopes for this one!
Jul 3, 2021 10:37 PM
Apr 2021
this show just oozes style oh my god
Jul 4, 2021 12:57 AM

Jan 2020
Madhouse : can i copy your settings
The drifting classroom : sure, but change it a little bit

I cant help but compare it to that manga, idk both are good, but drifting classroom was superior, but again only 1 ep. And drifting classroom was more realistic, compared to this who they have weird superpowers and rules. So they are different in execution and so it feels wrong to compare it

This could also be great
DayyanoEYEJul 4, 2021 1:25 AM
U-Y-P-W-O-C-U-T-I-K-A-T-I-P-M-I-N-I-I-D-I-H-I-W-T-S-T-I-W-S-T-O-M-P-T-I-L-U-C-H-N-I-D-T-I-I-Y-I-M-N-O-W-S-T-S-W-N-I-B-W
Jul 4, 2021 11:13 AM
Jul 2021
I'm really excited to see the rest of this series, I'm a big fan of Madhouse and many of the staff members working on this show. Also I love the art style and character designs, it's different from what I usually see in anime. And seeing that it's by Madhouse I really think there's going to be a lot going on for this series with interesting surprises and twists. I look forward to the rest of the reveal along with the 30 or so other students!
Jul 4, 2021 1:01 PM

Jan 2021
Well that was an experience.
I really like the kinda old school animation but with a modern touch.
I don't really know what to tell about the story yet but the story telling definitely is something else but really interesting.

I have high hopes this show is going to end up well.
Jul 4, 2021 7:53 PM

Jun 2013
Very interesting start, curious to see where this goes!
Jul 6, 2021 2:42 PM

Apr 2017
Thw guy with star on his face looks like a reverse trap
Jul 8, 2021 12:26 AM
Jul 2021
The flat/cel animation and beautiful saturated tones of some backgrounds gave me full on FLCL and general 2000s anime vibes. Hope this is good
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sonny Boy Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Aug 5, 2021

161 by Zorpanur »»
May 27, 2:44 AM

» S2.

aurora_yuuki - Apr 4

19 by Reelens »»
May 26, 7:09 PM

Poll: » Sonny Boy Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 29, 2021

143 by Zorpanur »»
May 26, 12:39 PM

Poll: » Sonny Boy Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 22, 2021

157 by Zorpanur »»
May 26, 11:19 AM

Poll: » Sonny Boy Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 30, 2021

296 by mabba »»
Apr 28, 5:50 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.