Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jan 8, 2021 9:13 AM

Apr 2009
ssjokg said:
Jin_uzuki said:
so him going level 5 is quite a 180°.

Not if someone made him go L5.

We still have no idea where the bat came from. If he wasnt the "Teppei" that Keichi saw, then that means he was at the school, the only place we know a real bat could be.

So what happened there?

Well yeah obvious I think that's the case, the problem is that we really don't have much to go by to speculate.

Is the bat even the same? I haven't checked.

Jan 8, 2021 10:04 AM

Aug 2009
Jin_uzuki said:
ssjokg said:

Not if someone made him go L5.

We still have no idea where the bat came from. If he wasnt the "Teppei" that Keichi saw, then that means he was at the school, the only place we know a real bat could be.

So what happened there?

Well yeah obvious I think that's the case, the problem is that we really don't have much to go by to speculate.

How many metal bats does Hinamizawa even have?
I believe there is a good chance it was the same. Why even show it if it is irrelevant?
Jan 8, 2021 10:10 AM
Jan 2021
This is the best episode of Higurashi New by far, and so far my favorite opener for the Winter 2021 season. This continuation hasn’t lived up to every expectation but this is the kind of episode I was waiting for, not only was the pacing near perfect, but the emotions resonate so well, especially given the fact that Rika has been one of the few very good things about New to me that stand with the original series. The stakes feel so much higher now, and this a shift that I’ve been waiting so long for.
Also, the new animation was used spectacularly by Passione this time around. It’s been hit or miss depending on the episode, but this is where it’s at it’s best, and the lighting and all other aspects capture every scene incredibly decently. I’m so pumped for next week, hopefully they keep this kind of pace up!
Jan 8, 2021 10:30 AM
Nov 2020
Jin_uzuki said:
Valandis said:
Hanyuu acted almost like some robot/hologram. That scene was pretty weird.

I do hope we figure out what happened in all of these question arcs!

It's not mean to be Hanyuu but a trace of her, so they were probably going with the "she's fading" imaginary.

Assuming that's actually Hanyuu given the arc's title and the whole "deception" thing, I suppose.

InfiniteDiscs said:

Everybody with significant exposure to Hinamizawa has Hinamizawa syndrome. "The curse" is triggered by stress, paranoia, and/or separation. Ooishi never went L5 in the original, but his behavior throughout the franchise has generally been consistent with L3-4

Uh, no? Dude acted as dick because more often than not he was dealing with murders and he was generally frustrated that he couldn't solve the current murders, as well the Sonozaki being know Yakuza. His behaviors in the previous arc are consistent with the original Minagoroshi, so him going level 5 is quite a 180°.

Dude has always show to have nerves of steel if anything.

Are you out of your mind? He was always paranoid as hell. He has a monomaniacal obsession with solving the curse murders to avenge the foreman of the dam project. Not saying there's not another party involved with pushing him over the edge, just like there was for Takano in the original, but I don't think there's any reason to suspect drugs, and to insist that his behavior in past loops has nothing to do with the syndrome when he was close friends with someone who went L5 and spends a significant amount of time snooping around Hinamizawa is asinine.
Jan 8, 2021 10:38 AM

Apr 2009
ssjokg said:
Jin_uzuki said:

I believe there is a good chance it was the same. Why even show it if it is irrelevant?
They have a baseball team so a lot :P I think it's a clue too, but I haven't checked if they were actually the same, that was my point, should have been cleared.

InfiniteDiscs said:

Are you out of your mind? He was always paranoid as hell.

And yet he's never show to go level 5 despite death threats, stalking and investigating murderers and investigating a Yakuza family and a series of gruesome murders. If he's out of town he survives and lives a long life enough to return to Hinamizawa with Akasaka years later in many worlds.

People don't go level 5 "just because", Rena, Shion and K1 always had a "logical", slow descent into madness. Ooishi's behaviors are the same as Ep. 3 and 7, worlds where he doesn't go crazy (Because, again, he never did anything like that in the original). The script is literally 1:1 lol. In the previous arc he's show to be entirely lucid and his hostile behaviors are literally explained by himself as a role he needed to play. How the fuck do go from that to shooting the whole town in the span of a couple of hours? Dude was entirely feral and out of his mind.

Jin_uzukiJan 8, 2021 10:42 AM

Jan 8, 2021 11:02 AM
Nov 2020
Jin_uzuki said:
ssjokg said:

They have a baseball team so a lot :P I think it's a clue too, but I haven't checked if they were actually the same, that was my point, should have been cleared.

InfiniteDiscs said:

Are you out of your mind? He was always paranoid as hell.

And yet he's never show to go level 5 despite death threats, stalking and investigating murderers and investigating a Yakuza family and a series of gruesome murders. If he's out of town he survives and lives a long life enough to return to Hinamizawa with Akasaka years later in many worlds.

People don't go level 5 "just because", Rena, Shion and K1 always had a "logical", slow descent into madness. Ooishi's behaviors are the same as Ep. 3 and 7, worlds where he doesn't go crazy (Because, again, he never did anything like that in the original). The script is literally 1:1 lol. In the previous arc he's show to be entirely lucid and his hostile behaviors are literally explained by himself as a role he needed to play. How the fuck do go from that to shooting the whole town in the span of a couple of hours? Dude was entirely feral and out of his mind.

We don't know who's working behind the scenes. I already said I don't think Ooishi went L5 "just because." There's obviously something different about what's happening in these loops that pushes him over the edge, just like I said. I don't accept "someone injected him with a drug" as the most logical answer. I think it's more likely someone prodded him with some false info during a low point and put him on the path, just like what led to Takano's downturn in the original.

Ooishi didn't explain all of his behavior as just playing the role of the cop. He admitted himself in several arcs that his obsession led to him making bad decisions, and him getting over that obsession is an important part of the ending of Kai. When he's out of town, he's retired, living near his mother, taking dance lessons. He has regrets about not solving the case are in the back of his mind, but he doesn't have the urgency he had when he was on the force. He even says his head feels clearer. Separation from the village is the smallest contributor to developing symptoms. Stress is the trigger, distance can just make it worse.

His level of stress, his lack of a trusted support network in Okinomiya outside of Kumagai, who he views more of as a subordinate than someone he can really count on, and his obsession with solving the case before he retires, along spending far more time in Hinamizawa than Tomitake, are more than enough to justify him being infected naturally, and the conditions are there for him to develop symptoms. There's no reason to believe that his actions in the original are completely independent of the syndrome.

Like I said, I find it likely that someone's pulling strings, but I don't think it's some bullshit drug injection and I think it's ridiculous to assume he was at L1 throughout the series before Gou.
Jan 8, 2021 11:09 AM

Dec 2014
I really am glad it referenced past season... officially we can recognize this as a sequel... damn but hundred years.. this is really tough...

five loops max
Jan 8, 2021 12:33 PM

Jul 2007
Watching Oishi lose his shit was kind of surreal as an OG fan. This is an exciting arc because of how high the stakes are now without Hanyuu. I missed seeing her cute face & demon horns ❤
Jan 8, 2021 1:58 PM

Oct 2014
Well, finally this seems to turn into something I wanted and expected.
Sadly tho, that just means the first cour was that much more meaningless.

Also that Ooishi headtilt, didn't expect it, it was stupid, but the gun popping up made it hilarious, lmao.

Couple interesting points:
Rika says that she'll try 5 more times. Now then, this obviously means she only tries until she dies 5 times, as in 5 arcs. But does this mean we'll have the rest of the season cramped with Arcs, or is yet another season half-confirmed.

Then about Rika remembering everything on fragments after she dies, this was... weird.
Unless I missed something, it seems like Rika doesn't remember 100% what happened on these 3 previous arcs. So why does she start remembering everything NOW, and not since... Episode 2?
Intelligent gets through situations which wise avoids.
Jan 8, 2021 4:37 PM

Oct 2009
Hulio said:

Also that Ooishi headtilt, didn't expect it, it was stupid, but the gun popping up made it hilarious, lmao.

Rika says that she'll try 5 more times. Now then, this obviously means she only tries until she dies 5 times, as in 5 arcs. But does this mean we'll have the rest of the season cramped with Arcs, or is yet another season half-confirmed.

Then about Rika remembering everything on fragments after she dies, this was... weird.
Unless I missed something, it seems like Rika doesn't remember 100% what happened on these 3 previous arcs. So why does she start remembering everything NOW, and not since... Episode 2?

They explained that in the episode. Hanyuu used up the last of her power and sacrificed herself to make Rika remember everything from now on.

I think S2 is pretty much confirmed with 5 more arcs. Passione also mentioned that this is their first big project, so I think S2 is fairly likely. I doubt big project just means 2 cours.
Jan 8, 2021 4:53 PM

Jul 2008
Hulio said:

My guess is that we are gonna see her speed-run and die throughout Nekodamashi and then her final try is the final arc of this season, or there will be a sequel season.

Jan 8, 2021 5:22 PM

Feb 2015
I'm glad they showed Ooishi killing the girls after all (even tho there were some questionable animation/design choices like the weird red background when he kills Mion & Rika). Poor Satoko really ran from a dangerous situation into her own death, oof. I'm still not sure if we can trust her this season, but I feel sorry for her ^^'
I also never really liked Ooishi tbh and this episode didn't do him any favors haha.

I'm also glad we can finally without a doubt say that this IS a sequel (not that we didn't know that, but there were some people denying it with a burning passion) and happens 5 years after the og saga. The way they handled Hanyuu this episode is also even more reason to watch the og if you are new to Higurashi, cause I doubt Gou will explain anything related to her (and as this discussion already shows, some people think this was completely random and deus ex machina).

I am still not sure if I like the new art style, but it really isn't that great for conveying negative emotions... the voice acting during Rika's breakdown in front of Hanyuu was great, but the visual didn't deliver at all sadly (except for the few seconds before the new loop started) :(
That being said, the scene looked really pretty tho :)

Let's see if Gou will improve with Rika as the lead, I'm excited to see where this is going!
StormxNightmareJan 8, 2021 5:35 PM
There's no possible way you can steal my heart

I want to drown in this sweet Melancholy
Jan 8, 2021 6:00 PM

Oct 2014
Nemesis2005 said:

They explained that in the episode. Hanyuu used up the last of her power and sacrificed herself to make Rika remember everything from now on.
What I mean is, that I was wondering why it happened now, and not in the first Arc.
What makes the first Arcs special that Hanyuu still has powers, yet different from the OG situation.
Gar_Logan said:
My guess is that we are gonna see her speed-run and die throughout Nekodamashi and then her final try is the final arc of this season, or there will be a sequel season.
I guess I'm expecting the former aswell, but the 2nd season sounds just as plausible too, hmm.
Atleast if they'll make 2nd season under different title, it would get better score in here (for anyone who cares about that).
Jan 8, 2021 6:34 PM

Jul 2008
Hulio said:
Nemesis2005 said:

What I mean is, that I was wondering why it happened now, and not in the first Arc.
What makes the first Arcs special that Hanyuu still has powers, yet different from the OG situation.
Gar_Logan said:
I guess I'm expecting the former aswell, but the 2nd season sounds just as plausible too, hmm.
Atleast if they'll make 2nd season under different title, it would get better score in here (for anyone who cares about that).

Apparently from leaks the new title is is 卒 (sotsu?), but no idea if that is for final arc or a whole new season (because it clearly at this point isn't for 2 cour)
Jan 9, 2021 1:27 AM

Apr 2009
Devil_Slayer said:

One of the game rules is that Rika can not remember who killed her and how she dies and have to figure it out on her own.

Jan 9, 2021 5:05 AM

Aug 2009
jTiKey said:
Devil_Slayer said:

One of the game rules is that Rika can not remember who killed her and how she dies and have to figure it out on her own.

And even then Rika is somewhere in between. Well.. was in the OG.
Jan 9, 2021 7:17 AM

Apr 2009
Even Proto-Bern in Mina isn't aware of whom is killing Rika when she talks to the player.

Really you can't 1:1 Umineko and Higurashi, Higurashi is about a girl who gets murdered over and over jumping parallel worlds and Umineko

Jan 9, 2021 7:31 AM

Mar 2016
Hanyu.....RIP. So, now Rika has her escape weapon. However, I feel like this weapon is meant to stop another looper. Let's hope this show ends on a good note.
Jan 9, 2021 8:08 AM

Oct 2007
This EP is pretty much a confirmation that people with no prior knowledge should watch the first two seasons of the DEEN anime.
Jan 9, 2021 9:27 AM

Dec 2020
Really loved this episode. After so many people were complaining about how this series is nothing but recycled content we finally get an episode that shows that the contrary is the case.

Seeing how things in the last arc actually unfolded was great and I didn't expect that at all. I found it quite unlikely that what Rena said was absolutely true but now that we know that Ooishi really was at Level 5 for some reason it makes figuring out why he became so stressed that the H-Syndrom kicked in far more important.

Actually in my opinion this episode really strongly hints at a new mastermind behind the murders in Hinamizawa. Things are going far differently than anything Takano had planned for in the original novel. We don't know if Tomitake and Takano disappear during the Watanagashi, we don't know what happens to Irie and Rika and we don't know if something like the Hinamizawa Disaster actually takes place. Instead we have a L5 Ooishi for some reason, something that never happened in 100 years.

So this either means there is a new mastermind or that something made Takano change her plans a lot. Maybe Ooishi didn't succumb to the HS "naturally" but got injected by the mastermind behind the murders? Maybe he was a hindrence that had to get delt with.

I'd go even farther and assume that this episode actually could work as some sort of prequel for Umineko.

So as an absolute Umineko fan this episode makes me extremely excited. Even if my connections to Umineko don't turn out to be true, this episode hints so strongly to a new overarching mystery that I am really hyped we finally get to experience what everyone was waiting for: A completely new mystery, maybe even as a connection between Higurashi and Umineko. And that would be absolutely fantastic.
We'll be together for all eternity.

Jan 9, 2021 12:01 PM

Jul 2014
So... is there another looper interfering with stuff?
I don't think Hanyuu must be talking about suicide as Rika suggests. It makes no sense. Perhaps about a chance to give up if she ever feels like it?

Rifle said:
This EP is pretty much a confirmation that people with no prior knowledge should watch the first two seasons of the DEEN anime.
Yep, didn't seem a sequel by itself but it seems it is.

LeviathanTheEspJan 9, 2021 12:14 PM
Jan 9, 2021 3:33 PM

Jul 2007
Hulio said:

Please don't take my response as calling you out specifically, but I've noticed a trend among folks here. I don't think every anime episode needs a specific plot function and when people call parts of this anime a waste, etc., it makes me wonder if there's something I'm missing...? I have genuinely enjoyed these characters over the years and am kinda shocked by how resistant people are to enjoying new things
Jan 9, 2021 4:29 PM

Oct 2014
Mizu said:
Please don't take my response as calling you out specifically, but I've noticed a trend among folks here. I don't think every anime episode needs a specific plot function and when people call parts of this anime a waste, etc., it makes me wonder if there's something I'm missing...? I have genuinely enjoyed these characters over the years and am kinda shocked by how resistant people are to enjoying new things
Yeah I understand that, it is indeed quite common opinion currently.
Personally I agree, it's not like every episode would need plot functions, and that's not what I'm saying either.

Just the arcs as a whole felt more or less, meaningless, and it's not because I've seen/read the original. It feels like I would have gained more just by rewatching Deen.

Also now that the "True story" of GOU is starting, it just makes me (dunno if others) wonder. Why didn't they just start from here?
They could have taken this plot, implemented it on the first arcs, and played around it (like I guess we will now start seeing)
It would have been a lot better.

But past is past, let's try to enjoy the future episodes.
Jan 9, 2021 5:29 PM

Aug 2019
StormxNightmare said:
I'm glad they showed Ooishi killing the girls after all (even tho there were some questionable animation/design choices like the weird red background when he kills Mion & Rika).
I think they tried to replicate the bloody background in the VN, but with an horrible CGI. That usually appears when someone is moments of agony, could be either a mental breakdown or severe pain. There are other situations where it appear, but it's mostly that. It'd be better if they didn't try that, it was awfully done.
Jan 9, 2021 5:36 PM

Feb 2015
rafaelfserafim said:
StormxNightmare said:
I'm glad they showed Ooishi killing the girls after all (even tho there were some questionable animation/design choices like the weird red background when he kills Mion & Rika).
I think they tried to replicate the bloody background in the VN, but with an horrible CGI. That usually appears when someone is moments of agony, could be either a mental breakdown or severe pain. There are other situations where it appear, but it's mostly that. It'd be better if they didn't try that, it was awfully done.

I suspected something like that as well, but thanks for clarifying that :)
It didn't look good at all tho... I agree :x
There's no possible way you can steal my heart

I want to drown in this sweet Melancholy
Jan 9, 2021 10:18 PM

Aug 2009
garylkz said:
Never read Umineko before, but is it possible that Nekodamashi is actually trying to trick the old watchers into believing that Gou is related to Umineko? Also, poor Rika :'(

The Opening since ep 2, has already tricked us.
Jan 9, 2021 10:52 PM

Apr 2009
ssjokg said:

Jan 10, 2021 2:19 AM
Jul 2018
finally a decent episode. really don't think this trick was worth putting the audience thru 13 deeply mediocre eps though, i only kept watching out of habit. hated the split screen view moments during this ep, too. i just hope the story itself will be more entertaining from this point.
Jan 10, 2021 2:26 AM

Aug 2015
Unrelated to MAL, but Ep 14 is the best-ranked Episode of the Week on r/anime, at 9.50. For reference, #2 is Black Clover at 9.41, #3 is Yuru Camp S2 at 9.38, #4 is ReZero S2 at 9.24, and #5 is Cells at Work S2 at 9.11.
Jan 10, 2021 4:15 AM

Dec 2020
Hulio said:

Also now that the "True story" of GOU is starting, it just makes me (dunno if others) wonder. Why didn't they just start from here?
They could have taken this plot, implemented it on the first arcs, and played around it (like I guess we will now start seeing)

I believe the reason for that is to keep true to the When They Cry concept of question-arcs and answer-arcs. Imo it was quite similar in the Deen anime, where the question arcs felt kinda random and were mostly entertaining because of the unsettling atmosphere but it felt like the "real story" actually started with the answer arcs.

This gives the viewer the chance to try to figure out the new Gou arcs on their own. Now that we know about how there seems to be some change in the rules or a different mastermind behind all of the events we are able to put the pieces of the question arcs together and we will be propably presented with a solution in the answer arcs.

If they'd started with episode 14, then there would hardly be any mystery left. We'd just watch Rika figuring it out on her own, and watching without thinking by ourselfs is something R07 always tried to prevent.

ssjokg said:
garylkz said:
Never read Umineko before, but is it possible that Nekodamashi is actually trying to trick the old watchers into believing that Gou is related to Umineko? Also, poor Rika :'(

I wouldn't say "tricked us" since for me it feels like this episode actually hints at a connection to Umineko far stronger than before:

So even if this Nekodamashi Arc doesn't become a clear transition towards Umineko I feel like it could be very well possible that we at least get a scene at the end of this series as an obvious hint towards Umineko.
Similar to the Deen Anime, where we got a post-credit scene in Kai with a grown up Rika. Or in Rei where she talks about stopping to be the witch Bernkastel. But I feel like it would be a far stronger connection to Umineko this time.
We'll be together for all eternity.

Jan 10, 2021 5:23 AM

Aug 2009
jTiKey said:
ssjokg said:

Different games, different rules.

Hanyuu is also part of the gameboard. Whether Hanyuu is the real player or she is a self insert piece like Erika we have to see.
Jan 10, 2021 5:29 AM

Aug 2009
Eragur said:
Hulio said:

I believe the reason for that is to keep true to the When They Cry concept of question-arcs and answer-arcs. Imo it was quite similar in the Deen anime, where the question arcs felt kinda random and were mostly entertaining because of the unsettling atmosphere but it felt like the "real story" actually started with the answer arcs.

This gives the viewer the chance to try to figure out the new Gou arcs on their own. Now that we know about how there seems to be some change in the rules or a different mastermind behind all of the events we are able to put the pieces of the question arcs together and we will be propably presented with a solution in the answer arcs.

If they'd started with episode 14, then there would hardly be any mystery left. We'd just watch Rika figuring it out on her own, and watching without thinking by ourselfs is something R07 always tried to prevent.

ssjokg said:

I wouldn't say "tricked us" since for me it feels like this episode actually hints at a connection to Umineko far stronger than before:

So even if this Nekodamashi Arc doesn't become a clear transition towards Umineko I feel like it could be very well possible that we at least get a scene at the end of this series as an obvious hint towards Umineko.
Similar to the Deen Anime, where we got a post-credit scene in Kai with a grown up Rika. Or in Rei where she talks about stopping to be the witch Bernkastel. But I feel like it would be a far stronger connection to Umineko this time.

This is what I mean by trick.

So far it is nothing we havent seen before as far as connections to Umineko go.

Hanyuu's broken horn/device is the biggest connection right now but I still would prefer something more.

If you are going to show Featherine in the OP at least give us something more than bread crumbs. So far it is like R07 is using that scene to literally laugh at us through his self insert.

That on itself wouldnt be so bad if the question arcs were executed better.
ssjokgJan 10, 2021 7:28 AM
Jan 10, 2021 7:17 AM
Jan 2020
Finally some good new content. Again with the crazy blood splatter and the amateur mistake of not counting how many bullets are fired. I'm OK overlooking this cause the rest of the episode was excellent. Hopefully this new momentum will hold.
Jan 10, 2021 9:28 AM

Apr 2009
Calling Gou a "Mystery" is being generous. Are we supposed to solve the whole thing with the what, 10 minutes of original content we are presented through 13 episodes? This episode is probably the first one that actually offers some clues since the second arc's Saiguden's scene, where people correctly guessed the statue and the sword were going to be relevant.

Jan 10, 2021 11:29 AM

Aug 2019
MadVandal said:
Finally some good new content. Again with the crazy blood splatter and the amateur mistake of not counting how many bullets are fired. I'm OK overlooking this cause the rest of the episode was excellent. Hopefully this new momentum will hold.
They should've shown him reloading a few bullets when he hides, even if it's only the sound effect of putting the bullets, but they didn't. To me that's when he reloaded, the mistake is that they didn't even show a hint that he did. On the contrary, they used that scene to show him scratching his neck. That would leave 2 bullets, one for Shion, one for Mion, since he'd have shot 4 people if he reloaded.

Also, I could swear I saw the revolver changing to a pistol when Shion tried to disarm him, but the barrel was slighty hidden, that's all.
Jan 10, 2021 12:44 PM
Jan 2020
rafaelfserafim said:
MadVandal said:
They should've shown him reloading a few bullets when he hides, even if it's only the sound effect of putting the bullets, but they didn't. To me that's when he reloaded, the mistake is that they didn't even show a hint that he did. On the contrary, they used that scene to show him scratching his neck. That would leave 2 bullets, one for Shion, one for Mion, since he'd have shot 4 people if he reloaded.

Also, I could swear I saw the revolver changing to a pistol when Shion tried to disarm him, but the barrel was slighty hidden, that's all.

It takes two hands to reload. He would have to put Rika down to do it. She'd flee and the crowd might jump him. So you think he had two guns and switched? I dunno...bullet miscounting is a classic mistake and to avoid it I would have excepted them to show him switching.

Jan 10, 2021 4:12 PM

Dec 2008
Oh Hanyuu, you were a useless god until the end. :(

Poor Rika. But finally something that seems really new.

I have a lot of questions after this one.

Does it really only take place 5 years after the original "end"? Did Rika only get 5 years, really? That was enough time for Hanyuu to get into that state? Wasn't she still talking to Rika easily enough last time we saw her? Rika acted like she hadn't seen Hanyuu in a long time at the end of episode 2. And during the five years, she managed to leave Hinamizawa AND have enough time to establish a life that was satisfying to her? She was 11 (almost 12) in the original story, so she'd be 11-17 or so during that time frame and able to do all that? Also, was Rika really that hung up on leaving Hinamizawa before? I remember lots of talk about reaching the world beyond, but I thought that referred to time and not space, or was it both. Hm.

And are they really going to fit 5 loops into 10 episodes, or I guess people are talking about a possible sequel. I hope at least they don't end this series without finishing the story and have no sequel, ha.

Things are finally starting to happen beyond retelling old series with some changes, but some things still seem off to me. I know people were (rightfully) convinced it was a sequel masquerading as a reboot after episode 2. But after this episode I'm not sure it's not a sequel masquerading as what was a reboot all along. I'm not sure at this point.

Re: Onigari no Ryuuou

Jan 10, 2021 6:36 PM

Sep 2017
I feel so bad for rika, I teared up a bit this episode it’s sad to see her go through this so many times. Just five more times until she will finally give up, it’s sad to see Hanyuu go too but at least she gave Rika something rlly useful as well.

Jan 10, 2021 9:12 PM

Oct 2014
Eragur said:
I believe the reason for that is to keep true to the When They Cry concept of question-arcs and answer-arcs.

Regardless of the need for the concept of Question/Answer arcs, we could have had perfectly good Question Arcs with Rika as the MC, and following Rika's PoV.
She could have tried to fight against these changed fragments without her knowing they've changed. That would have had plenty Questionful Mysteries.

What comes to figuring out the Arcs on our own, we could have done exactly the same with the aforementioned setting. We all knew that the rules had changed by the end of the first episode so I don't really buy that argument.

If they started here, there would hardly be any mystery left?
Do you mean the mysteries have already been solved?
To me atleast this is still a complete mystery.

If it was written well, it wouldn't have to be "watching Rika figuring out everything on her own" we could figure everything WITH Rika.
As far as I've understood, she still doesn't understand anything, beside that the rules are broken. So had we followed her PoV these 13 eps, it would still be the same.
Jan 10, 2021 9:15 PM

Aug 2009
Hulio said:
Eragur said:
I believe the reason for that is to keep true to the When They Cry concept of question-arcs and answer-arcs.

Regardless of the need for the concept of Question/Answer arcs, we could have had perfectly good Question Arcs with Rika as the MC, and following Rika's PoV.
She could have tried to fight against these changed fragments without her knowing they've changed. That would have had plenty Questionful Mysteries.

What comes to figuring out the Arcs on our own, we could have done exactly the same with the aforementioned setting. We all knew that the rules had changed by the end of the first episode so I don't really buy that argument.

If it was written well, it wouldn't have to be "watching Rika figuring out everything on her own" we could figure everything WITH Rika.
As far as I've understood, she still doesn't understand anything, beside that the rules are broken. So had we followed her PoV these 13 eps, it would still be the same.

Tbh, the story could have been as it is but with better directing.

Even if Rika's pov was still limited, the experience, and now pay off, would be a lot better.
Jan 10, 2021 9:20 PM

Oct 2014
ssjokg said:
Hulio said:

Even if Rika's pov was still limited, the experience, and now pay off, would be a lot better.
Well yeah I can't really argue that.
But still, in my opinion, the way I mentioned would have been the best way.
It also was something I was expecting/hoping after the 2nd episode.

At any case, I just wish she had done more.
Jan 10, 2021 9:22 PM

Aug 2009
Hulio said:
ssjokg said:

Well yeah I can't really argue that.
But still, in my opinion, the way I mentioned would have been the best way.
It also was something I was expecting/hoping after the 2nd episode.

At any case, I just wish she had done more.
I think all of us hoped for that after R07's intervview.

Turns out he meant from ep14 onwards. It is what it is.
Jan 10, 2021 11:10 PM

Feb 2011
to the few people who voted 1 - eabod

but damn,
this anime is crazy now with the new animation. the contrast between bubbly clear characters and the horror is amazing.

Jan 10, 2021 11:52 PM

Oct 2007
counted at least 5 men drinking, a little girl get choked a few feet from them and only two get up to help? Then instead of trying to grab the gun, the man who was not shot runs away instead? If all those men drinking jumped Oishi, the tragedy could have been avoided, even if he knows karate.. they would have smothered him with numbers. Ok, so this has to happen for plot I guess.

Jan 11, 2021 7:15 AM
Oct 2019
Nekodamashi hen Part 1

Holy shit this episode Opening up with lot of Deaths..

Rika had enough suffering from this 100 Years of loop..
Sadly Hanyuu has to go 😥 but she used her Power to help Rika..

Rika VA really killing it in this episode...

Now we are switching to Rika POV...
davidyodo24Jan 11, 2021 9:32 AM
Jan 11, 2021 1:06 PM

Aug 2017
This episode was epic kinda sad have to wait for more episodes.
Jan 11, 2021 4:58 PM

Nov 2009
I just wana say one thing and that is Rika looked so beautiful in this ep. Especially the scene with Hanyuu. 💜😢
Jan 11, 2021 11:46 PM
Oct 2020
pint said:
These episodes are so dark.. brightness up.

Ooshi no... looks like he was overcome by oyashiro sama's curse.

Rika-chama doesn't want to repeat any more. Been 100 years. She's going to give it 5 more tries. She can kill herself anytime now.

Well it's sad to see Hanyuu go. But she had to use her power to help Rika.

I see what you did there XD
Jan 14, 2021 7:18 PM

Dec 2011
Ohh snap maybe we really are on track for the

If it wasn't obvious before, sequel affirmation starts now.
Jan 15, 2021 10:43 AM

Jun 2013
You gotta actually be retarded to think this is a reboot now instead of a sequel.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Gou Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 18, 2021

395 by Stinkyanimebrap »»
Mar 19, 9:57 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Gou Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 25, 2021

314 by Drinzen »»
Feb 20, 2:59 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Gou Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 28, 2021

323 by Drinzen »»
Feb 20, 1:42 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Gou Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KANLen09 - Jan 14, 2021

317 by Drinzen »»
Feb 20, 1:11 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Gou Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Danpmss - Mar 11, 2021

313 by eblf2013 »»
Dec 13, 2023 5:08 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.