Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Aug 15, 2020 7:54 PM

Oct 2017
This episodes is an embodiment of everything that makes SAO bad into one episode lol.
Oh well shouldn't have take this serie seriously to begin with.
Ordeal War and all the previous entry all end in this type of fashion that drastically diminish its plot value.

Yeah it takes the route of typical shonen powerup , power of friendship, power of love, but execute in the most generic , uncreative, boring, cliche, unbearable way possible.
The problem is the pacing overall is just very bad and it just doesn't get the point of why these powerup is significant, especially with those comedic villains that just happens to have infinite hp as long as the killing blow is not done by Kirito zzz.

The serie at least make a tad bit sense when fight against Administrator , but this episode is just pure cliche bullshit.

Compare to Demon Slayer ep19, or Digimon Universe App Monster episode 49, this episode is pure garbage.
It doesn't capture anything that makes those stand up moments meaningful/ impactful.
The tone, pacing and catalyst is just not there.
Ventus_SAug 15, 2020 8:01 PM
Aug 15, 2020 8:00 PM
Jul 2011
Alicization Lasting!!!

Welcome back, Kirito.

I've been waiting for this moment.
Aug 15, 2020 8:14 PM
Aug 2017
MunaXs said:
CYCLOPSCORE said:

Funny, I thought it fit a little more if he said that rather than you.
In the Middle Ages the inquisition believed that their actions were right. There are blind zealots everywhere. The power of friendship is cheap garbage by BTW

Don't get me wrong, it is just that your opponent has presented a solid argument, while all you have is just childish rebuttals. Please give a decent testimony for us, please. Give yourself an actual reason to hate.
Aug 15, 2020 8:24 PM

Oct 2017
eXtripa69 said:
Asuna: Kirito, come back ...
Kirito: No....

Eugeo: Kiri-
Kirito: Yes.

Lmao, thanks for summing up the plot of this whole Alicization :D.
Aug 15, 2020 8:26 PM
Dec 2019
CYCLOPSCORE said:
MunaXs said:
In the Middle Ages the inquisition believed that their actions were right. There are blind zealots everywhere. The power of friendship is cheap garbage by BTW

Don't get me wrong, it is just that your opponent has presented a solid argument, while all you have is just childish rebuttals. Please give a decent testimony for us, please. Give yourself an actual reason to hate.
"Give yourself an actual reason to hate" Kid, you are so funny. Good Night
Aug 15, 2020 8:29 PM

Oct 2017
MunaXs said:
chriskor022 said:
your logic doesnt make sense. This simulation give the people the power of imagination so the action is justified. The good guys and bad is OP. So its not that BS, because they set up it on ep 8. Of Alicization. And the PTSD is his inner thoughts of how guilty he has by not saving his friends on SAO days. And now he losing Eugeo. They gave Kirito characterization its weird for you because, they give it now but the anime skips it on the first SAO. God mode is meme, lmao. Where do you get it? I think you watched different series because of how much you interpret the scene is.
The eyes are useless when the mind is blind

I'm pretty much with you on this one.

Every season as plot progress SAO gets worse.

First part Alicization ep1~13(hmm, this show has potential to be amazing)

Second part ep 14~26 climbing tower (Eh, this is a lot worse than I thought but at least it's enjoyable to watch for the fight scene I guess)

Third part Kirito went into Coma (At least the villain is interesting, despite the war makes little sense when it comes to execution)

Fourth part of fighting online Otakus as main villains (Eh, SAO is back to it's root. Dumpster fire ending.)
Aug 15, 2020 8:34 PM
Aug 2017
MunaXs said:
CYCLOPSCORE said:

"Give yourself an actual reason to hate" Kid, you are so funny. Good Night

Wow, I was thinking the same thing.
Aug 15, 2020 8:36 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Gosh, 50% of this episode is just Kirito's melodramatic flashback, so boring, just wake up already.

..and another 50% are asspull actions, so asspully that the bad guy was using it too. Well at least it's much better than kirito's edgy dream.
Also what's with PoH? God his reasons why he is into Kirito so much is so edgy that my finger starts to bleed a bit just from his words alone.

Totally worst episode of this SAO season.

RinrinkaAug 15, 2020 8:41 PM

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Aug 15, 2020 8:44 PM

Jul 2016
MunaXs said:
chriskor022 said:
your logic doesnt make sense. This simulation give the people the power of imagination so the action is justified. The good guys and bad is OP. So its not that BS, because they set up it on ep 8. Of Alicization. And the PTSD is his inner thoughts of how guilty he has by not saving his friends on SAO days. And now he losing Eugeo. They gave Kirito characterization its weird for you because, they give it now but the anime skips it on the first SAO. God mode is meme, lmao. Where do you get it? I think you watched different series because of how much you interpret the scene is.
the mind is useless when your take is false.

Aug 15, 2020 8:46 PM

Jul 2016
MunaXs said:
CYCLOPSCORE said:

Funny, I thought it fit a little more if he said that rather than you.
but its justified whereas they explained at alicization. The opponent are OP too.

Aug 15, 2020 8:47 PM
Dec 2019
chriskor022 said:
MunaXs said:
That´s Nietzsche?? Oh sorry, that's too much for you. Have a nice life...I guess
Aug 15, 2020 8:49 PM

Apr 2018
The plot armor is strong in this one. Even the dead person can back you up loool
Aug 15, 2020 8:49 PM

Nov 2008
Rinrinka said:

Only on opposite day...which means "best".

@MunaXs: your complaints are stupid; yes, Asuna got angel wings because the spirit of a dead girl was watching over her and lending her strength; I cannot think of a more appropriate way to symbolize this.

And all you morons thinking "Power of friendship saves the day" UM WRONG. Were you not paying attention at all? Kirito was only revived because of memories given to him by four people. Because his own soul was destroyed and he did not have memories of his own anymore; that is why he was in a coma.

*facepalm*

They explain this in detail...lol I can't even....

Why are you guys dumb?

Aug 15, 2020 8:50 PM

Jul 2016
MunaXs said:
chriskor022 said:
That´s Nietzsche?? Oh sorry, that's too much for you. Have a nice life...I guess
lmao same to you. No life I guess.

Aug 15, 2020 9:06 PM

Dec 2010
Yassss. Finally Nobunaga rescues Tsugu. Eugeo confirmed best girl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtDee0YDrY8
Aug 15, 2020 9:57 PM
Sep 2019
Sora_1303 said:
HajimeNozomiUwU said:

Read the LN. All of Alicization was leading up to this. Reki spent 4 whole volumes building up to Kirito's Awakening. The anime doesn't do it justice for someone seeking more in-depth explanation or attention to detail.

Well as a Light novel reader this episode was very disappointing to say the least. The anime messed up the nightmare scene royally.

tHiS EpIsOdE wAs VeRy dIsApPoInTiNg BeCaUsE i rEAd tHe LN. WOW
Aug 15, 2020 10:09 PM

Aug 2017
Sword art rocks. It's just a really entertaining and high quality show IMO. Asuna unloading like crazy on Poh, too bad he's hacking and reanimates. Awesome Kirito comeback, super overpowered. Time for harem to ravish him soon.

eXtripa69 said:
Asuna: Kirito, come back ...
Kirito: No....

Eugeo: Kiri-
Kirito: Yes.

Haha! Eugebro to the rescue!
CarbonMDAug 15, 2020 10:13 PM
Aug 15, 2020 10:12 PM
Jan 2019
GurenNoOu said:
Sora_1303 said:

Well as a Light novel reader this episode was very disappointing to say the least. The anime messed up the nightmare scene royally.

tHiS EpIsOdE wAs VeRy dIsApPoInTiNg BeCaUsE i rEAd tHe LN. WOW

A-1 just had one job. To adapt the Nightmare scene properly. But Nooo, we ended up with a PowerPoint presentation. The whole of alicization was building up to that moment. So what did A-1 do? Cut 2/3 of the Scene and add scenes that makes no sense in the form of a PowerPoint presentation. As a LN reader this episode was very disappointing.

Aug 15, 2020 10:47 PM
Mar 2014
Best episode ever, it's too bad they are not brining Eugeo back.
Aug 15, 2020 10:58 PM
Sep 2013
Bros before any woman. Eugeo best girl confirmed.
Aug 15, 2020 10:58 PM
Feb 2017
That Asuna deus ex machina with Yuuki was bad but oh well.

Whoever was tackling the animation for when Asuna became an angel though... that was clean. SAO has good looking fights, but man that looked amazing.

Kirito being brought to a more human and realistic level, good to see.
Aug 15, 2020 11:06 PM
Jul 2019
Animation is godly af but what the hell was that asspull? How tf did PoH do that, isn't he just some rando who entered the Underworld? You're gonna pull the season 1 BS too?

Speaking of S1, old art! God do I miss that. I do like the animation of Alicization but I prefer the old design than the new.

Bros before hoes, Eugeo is undoubtedly the best character of the franchise and you can't deny that. It's not an opinion, it's a fact.

That last line was so predictable.

Alicization still better than War of Underworld imo.
Aug 15, 2020 11:08 PM

Jun 2016
Still not sure how I feel. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Lot of tiny gripes which I can see why some people are disappointed over. Or I personally don't like.

Flashbacking ALO and GGO The worst crime in this episode.

Why.Why.Why.Why.Why.Why. WHY did they flashback ALO and GGO? I'm 99.9% certaint that this wasn't in the novels, even if it were, there are plenty of scenes they cut in this moment, that would have better served the purpose.

Why would he regret saving Asuna? Why would he regret saving Sinon?
What???????????

Like they just made him a super traumatized pacifist ***** or something? I understand being regretful of being forced to kill Laughing Coffin members since it's possible he could have captured them. But killing Oberon and Death Gun in a VIRTUAL GAME - not SAO, a game, then adding that onto his list of regrets?

The addition of those scenes not only added no value, it changed the context of the situation entirely. Kirito as a character, is suddenly so weak, he regrets defeating VIRTUAL enemies, in situations where he had to save another person. The addition of these scenes single-handedly drag down Kirito's Character.

What the actual fuck.

Cut SAO Irl + "Aincrad Content"
Honestly, the addition of the ALO and GGO scenes feel like the epitome of carelessness, laziness, and sloppiness. Especially when several scenes were not included.

Kirito abandoning a former SAO Beta Tester friend irl. This would have been hard to adapt given they'd need to animate an entirely new short story with either extensive monologue or a large amount of visual cues, however, given the fact that they tossed in Yuna and Eiji into this, there's literally no excuses.

Same issue with the cut SAO Aincrad Settings. Since they didn't adapt this originally, they'd again need to animate an entirely new short story, however, this would have had a significant positive impact on the audience impression over the bs GGO / ALO flashbacks. Everyone loves SAO in SAO. Give them more SAO / Aincrad.

Higa monlogue-ing
Small issue but Higa monologue-ing "extensively" about one more person with a strong connection making a strong mental image etc. We've already gotten the context of 'people with an understanding of Kirito' so up to "If there was only one more person" is fine, everything after just feels unnatural, explaining connection and what not, feels insulting to the audience / unnecessarily stretched.

A-1 should have had Higa explain what was going on like it was done in the novels. With him doubting if it was even possible, it would have given the situation a lot more realism. Since it just looks like Eugeo suddenly resurrects himself in Kirito's memories and speaks to him as an individual.

The Decisions...
This one actually kind of ticks me off,

Higa: "If only one more person with close ties to Kirito would accumulate a strong mental image of him!" Adds this.
Kirito: "I should have died. My life here is temporary. Nothing would have happened we had just exchanged roles." Doesn't add this.

Just Why... ??????? (more spam ?)

They decide to add Higa Monologue-ing, but they can't have Kirito Monologue? The audience already knows what Higa is explaining, it's redundant and unnecessary. Kirito monologuing how his life is temporary is something that the audience already knows, however, it's not redundant, he would be reiterating the fact that it should have been him and not Eugeo that died in the final fight.

It's not rocket science. Higa's dialogue = adds no value informationally, emotionally, whatever. Kirito's dialogue = adds emotional value to the scene.

Not a huge impacting factor to the anime, but it's little things like this that totally degrade the experience as a fan that's been waiting years upon years for this adaptation.

Asuna Thicc Lines Fight
Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the thicc lines for Asuna's Mother Rosario. It was brilliantly done normally in the OS movie and the thick lines only fit Bercouli's fight well because of the context of the situation (e.g. Gabriel calling Bercouli's soul thick / tedious and Bercouli being a gruff Mentor / Father / Shishou / Ossan figure. There's no precedent to super thick lined battle scenes in SAO, so as a tribute to Bercouli I thought it was fine, good even, however, it's unique value was lost by reusing it in Asuna's fight and just comparing to the Mother Rosario animation in OS which was just as good if not better, there was no point in it.

Everything Else
The cut scenes of incarnation sword / blade defending Asuna and Sortilena asking Asuna if that was her Incarnation - not a big deal. However, there's been an extreme lack of Incarnation just being mentioned when it's had such a huge part. Might have been better to just cut Sortilena's really weird attempt at blocking PoH (which did happen in the novels, but I didn't imagine that)... Like just the way Asuna and Ronie were prepared to catch Sortilena looked odd. The minimal fight scene was unnecessary compared to dialogue imo.

Yuuki Overabundance. I don't mean Yuuki having a few lines, etc. She just appeared 'physically' / 'ghostly' too many times. There's times when I complain and ask that they 'show and not tell', however, this is the rare occasion I'll ask them to 'tell not show'. I wish it was more of a partial appearance where you 'feel her presence' than just blatantly see Yuuki. Just another personal thought, not a real problem.

The Good Things
Although, I could write novels about what the adaptation is doing wrong or what annoys me personally, it's not like I despise it or anything. The few scenes changed at the end of the opening were great additions imo. All the colorful fx which are most likely not drawn but generated. (If they actually bother drawing all that, well it explains a lot, they should stop what they're doing rn and have more people focus on the actual art).

It's not like I thought the episode was bad or think WOU sucks. I like it. However, that's a result of me enjoying the light novels, and it's really hard to say if the anime has actually added to that experience. Hopefully, that changes with the next few episodes... We're on the final five with roughly 275 pages left to go.

I'm really bored. I'm writing essays that, probably, nobody will read. I just had to get all the issues off my chest though. Feels refreshing.
InorichiAug 15, 2020 11:19 PM
Aug 15, 2020 11:11 PM
Jan 2016
At last, after 18 episodes of Alicization, we finally got Kirito's back haha...it's a little strange to watch SAO without Kirito haha...and yeah, even though there are soooo many girls are supporting him, especially Asuna, Sinon, and Sugu, still Eugeo is the one that wakes him up, bromance beats harem hahahahaha...and this SAO season will be the last maybe? Because there are soooo many flashback from SAO and Sachi, ALO, GGO, and of course Konno Yuuki, and from Ordinal Scale from previous eps...
Aug 15, 2020 11:27 PM
Aug 2020
Honestly good episode even though i voted it OK. My thing is that it seriously felt like a dead person, yuuki was getting more screentime then KIRITO (kirito being a vegetable doesnt count) i know thats not actually true but we've been waiting for kirito to stop being a vegetable for almost a year now.
Aug 15, 2020 11:48 PM
Aug 2018
This season has taken a nosedive straight off a cliff! After starting out at least somewhat promising this is a disappointment. Such lazy and unoriginal writing! It's like the writers/author just gave up on coming up with anything even halfway interesting or meaningful. Like they know how to write a decent first 3/4 of a story, but when it comes time for the final act they're completely clueless so they just start tossing in every tired, old cliche in the book (and not even doing THAT well).

Just look at PoH for example: He's a cartoonishly evil hollow caricature of a villain who's only motivation is that he just REALLY likes being evil! I've seen better villains in kids' cartoons. I expect Gabriel/Sublitizer is going to end up the same way in the end.
It's a shame because I really enjoyed all of Alicization and the first season of Underworld.

Nice animation though...
Aug 16, 2020 12:09 AM

Nov 2016
i dont know which is better the episode or people bitching about anime logic

plus i got to see yuuki and sachi so win for me i guess
Aug 16, 2020 12:54 AM

Mar 2008
Everyone's bitching about the LN, and I'm just here sobbing because I wasn't ready to lose Sachi-tan again. 😭
>Ecchi na no wa ikenai to omoimasu!<
Aug 16, 2020 1:09 AM
Jul 2018
+ infinity: Eugeos Cameo

- Everyone cheers Asuna on instead of fighting for themselves (was also in the novels)
- infinity: Incarnation
- Asuna can only get up again through Yuuki (You either can or you can't, Eiji continued fighting without arms and Eugeo only with half of his body) --> Bad Character and writing
- Kiritos nightmare (When Kirito is in pain the world stops, but when Eiji and Eugeo are in pain, does it matter less?
- No character development for Kirito, he lied to Sachi (high level) and Eugeo (Kirito cannot die) -> both died
- generic villains
- Mate Chopper should not have the same properties as in SAO, since the simulation would certainly not take such parameters into account.
- Yuuki Scene
- infinity: God mode Kirito (literally Jesus / Messiah / Prophet)

- Eugeo: My sword is already broken, I can no longer live.
Several months later.
Kirito: Enhance Armament.
Me: Ah, it wasn't all broken after all.
removed-userAug 16, 2020 4:16 AM
Aug 16, 2020 1:22 AM

Sep 2019
Finally, A1 introduced something worthed watching.

Solid ep, with just 2 main scenes (this is hardly seen since the beginning of War of Underworld).

The pacing was somewhat decent, and the plot was pretty well developed.

Hope that the rest of this cour will be better and better.
Aug 16, 2020 1:52 AM
Jul 2020
I liked the confrontation with the stuff he did in the past part but they could have made it so much better and emotional . The last two memories (before my boy started remembering eugeo ) IMO were not really needed cuz he didnt really kill the person they could have been replaced with the time when they went to take laughing coffin members as prisoners and when he was deciding whether to kill or not to kill that asshole sugo.

The fight scenes and animation were top notch as usual. Yuuki finally making an appearance. At this point it seems like A-1 pictures are done with sao and are planning to conclude it properly.

My only criticism still is the facing with the stuff he did and how he decided to wake up. It was not emotional enough and seemed too fast. Like first he wants to kill himself no matter what(which was pretty emotional And gave me the feels tbh) but later just wakes up only cuz eugeo says a few words to him. You were paralysed for so long and was so mentally worn out but you just got up after like just being reminded of how important memories are. And I personally think they shouldnt have shown him speak for the first episode cuz it was like he got over everything so easily and fast. The recovery should have been slow and be carried out for 2 eps but it wasnt that bad. Honestly mediocre at best and could have been improved so much. I still enjoyed it and I felt okay with it after watching it the second time.
Aug 16, 2020 2:16 AM

Feb 2014
Damn that meme really did come alive. Kirito woke up for Eugeo eh? Tadaima madapakas XD

Jokes aside its about damn time he came back.
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Aug 16, 2020 3:05 AM

Aug 2018
MunaXs said:
Each episode worse than the last

SAO Alicization – War of Underworld before virus, a great anime
SAO Alicization – War of Underworld after virus, garbage over garbage

I'm not gonna talk about character with slashing sword doing piercing attacks (thats really stupid) or aboiut phisic in battle but...

Asuna with angel wings, really?? what a lack of imagination, that crap of "the power of friendship" is killing me bc thats the lowest recurse that someone could use for his/her creation in fantasy relate. That recouorse mean lack of imagination and talent. Kirito EMO...he was a fighter, a warrior and now, he is afraid of his past? he is the frkn hero and he is asking forgivenes for help or the sake ppl he helped?? And the worst of the worst, the lasst minutes he was in mode GOD, WHY!!!! he just come back from a "COMMA", thiss episode has not sense at all. When you think SAO can´t be worse, the author comes and surprises you
Don't tell it's BS.Kawahara is an amazing writer.He gives Togashi a run for his money.You know the Nen Vows from Hunter x Hunter.They could do any asspull and label it as a nen vow.Ofcource there are consequences to that.So Togashi is a hack.He must learn from Kawahara.He crafted the very concept of incarnation that has it's origin from the original SAO.Incarnation means an user can create anything with the power of imagination.Even though it's a fucking simulation but imagination reins supreme.Kirito could pull any asspull and that would be justified under the power of INCARNATION .He can grow his limbs back.Gabriel can summon bats outta nowhere.Asuna can gain wings with Yuki's power of friendship.POH can control players and fight with a fucking hole in his chest.But you can't call it Bullshit because Kawahara masterfully crafted the system of INCARNATION .This is the response you are going to get from any SAO fanboi.So, just give up.It ain't worth shit.

I just wish Kirito summons Ghidorah and Godzilla and end this war.
Aug 16, 2020 3:22 AM

Aug 2017
Kirito is such a great character tho. This ep tore me apart, the burdens this man carries.

Sachi, Yuuki, Eugeo 😢😢
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Aug 16, 2020 3:29 AM

Mar 2015
I expected PoH being a heavier reason for Kirito to wake up
Aug 16, 2020 3:47 AM

Jun 2015
(AUSTRALIANS ARE BANNED FROM READING THIS STORY. THERE GOVERNMENT HAS DEEMED IT INAPPROPRIATE AND WE ARE ENTERING THE WORLD DESCRIBED IN FAHRENHEIT 451. AS LONG AS WE VOTE EXTREMISTS INTO POWER THEY WILL CONTINUE TO BURN OUR BOOKS)

Well, fuck me, I just rewatched this episode as I couldn't help myself. I'm not sure how wild the battle will get next week but that ending with the hand and palm print. Last weeks eps I hoped for an awakening like from the first season and damn are they bringing it!
To have you, Id give a billion lives A-Chan best girl
Aug 16, 2020 3:59 AM
May 2020
SWORD ART ONLINE ALICIZATION WAR OF UNDERWORLD SEASON 2 EPISODE 6 mistake.
1-The flashback was to rush
2-Asuna fight scene is to short
3. Leafs suppose to die
Aug 16, 2020 4:13 AM

Jun 2015
I read most of it and I think you just being stupid tbh. You clearly have a amazing grasp of whats going on but you just use it to try shit on the show. Look, if you as a person can get so worked up about a single episode of an anime to produce such a massive breakdown and rant your wasting your talents.

For my argument as why you being stupid. Personally I feel its important to understand Kirito from the start of his journey up until this point. He got stabbed with something which is killing him, they stuck him in a tank where time is drastically altered where minutes = years but he was still being Kirito.

He fought a battle vs an AI, saved tons of people, ended up in a vegetative state but the world he thought to protect and the people he saved have been fighting to -protect him, just as he protected them.

I also have no idea what your talking about when you talk about thicc lines. Tbh, it dosen't make any sense at all.

But to understand the character, and how they got to where they are right now, Kirito once more awakening from an impossible situation, it required all of his past experiences. And damn when there only 3 and it not working, but Eugou being the 4th. That just nailed it on how magnificent an episode this was. Strong mental image. Knowing the person. That moment when he linked in transcended the barrier between real world and the virtual world in terms of memories and what is life.

If you cant understand or appreciate that, you should probably stop writing massive rants and wasting everyones time who reads them. I bet your Australian.

Inorichi said:
Still not sure how I feel. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Lot of tiny gripes which I can see why some people are disappointed over. Or I personally don't like.

Flashbacking ALO and GGO The worst crime in this episode.

Why.Why.Why.Why.Why.Why. WHY did they flashback ALO and GGO? I'm 99.9% certaint that this wasn't in the novels, even if it were, there are plenty of scenes they cut in this moment, that would have better served the purpose.

Why would he regret saving Asuna? Why would he regret saving Sinon?
What???????????

Like they just made him a super traumatized pacifist ***** or something? I understand being regretful of being forced to kill Laughing Coffin members since it's possible he could have captured them. But killing Oberon and Death Gun in a VIRTUAL GAME - not SAO, a game, then adding that onto his list of regrets?

The addition of those scenes not only added no value, it changed the context of the situation entirely. Kirito as a character, is suddenly so weak, he regrets defeating VIRTUAL enemies, in situations where he had to save another person. The addition of these scenes single-handedly drag down Kirito's Character.

What the actual fuck.

Cut SAO Irl + "Aincrad Content"
Honestly, the addition of the ALO and GGO scenes feel like the epitome of carelessness, laziness, and sloppiness. Especially when several scenes were not included.

Kirito abandoning a former SAO Beta Tester friend irl. This would have been hard to adapt given they'd need to animate an entirely new short story with either extensive monologue or a large amount of visual cues, however, given the fact that they tossed in Yuna and Eiji into this, there's literally no excuses.

Same issue with the cut SAO Aincrad Settings. Since they didn't adapt this originally, they'd again need to animate an entirely new short story, however, this would have had a significant positive impact on the audience impression over the bs GGO / ALO flashbacks. Everyone loves SAO in SAO. Give them more SAO / Aincrad.

Higa monlogue-ing
Small issue but Higa monologue-ing "extensively" about one more person with a strong connection making a strong mental image etc. We've already gotten the context of 'people with an understanding of Kirito' so up to "If there was only one more person" is fine, everything after just feels unnatural, explaining connection and what not, feels insulting to the audience / unnecessarily stretched.

A-1 should have had Higa explain what was going on like it was done in the novels. With him doubting if it was even possible, it would have given the situation a lot more realism. Since it just looks like Eugeo suddenly resurrects himself in Kirito's memories and speaks to him as an individual.

The Decisions...
This one actually kind of ticks me off,

Higa: "If only one more person with close ties to Kirito would accumulate a strong mental image of him!" Adds this.
Kirito: "I should have died. My life here is temporary. Nothing would have happened we had just exchanged roles." Doesn't add this.

Just Why... ??????? (more spam ?)

They decide to add Higa Monologue-ing, but they can't have Kirito Monologue? The audience already knows what Higa is explaining, it's redundant and unnecessary. Kirito monologuing how his life is temporary is something that the audience already knows, however, it's not redundant, he would be reiterating the fact that it should have been him and not Eugeo that died in the final fight.

It's not rocket science. Higa's dialogue = adds no value informationally, emotionally, whatever. Kirito's dialogue = adds emotional value to the scene.

Not a huge impacting factor to the anime, but it's little things like this that totally degrade the experience as a fan that's been waiting years upon years for this adaptation.

Asuna Thicc Lines Fight
Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the thicc lines for Asuna's Mother Rosario. It was brilliantly done normally in the OS movie and the thick lines only fit Bercouli's fight well because of the context of the situation (e.g. Gabriel calling Bercouli's soul thick / tedious and Bercouli being a gruff Mentor / Father / Shishou / Ossan figure. There's no precedent to super thick lined battle scenes in SAO, so as a tribute to Bercouli I thought it was fine, good even, however, it's unique value was lost by reusing it in Asuna's fight and just comparing to the Mother Rosario animation in OS which was just as good if not better, there was no point in it.

Everything Else
The cut scenes of incarnation sword / blade defending Asuna and Sortilena asking Asuna if that was her Incarnation - not a big deal. However, there's been an extreme lack of Incarnation just being mentioned when it's had such a huge part. Might have been better to just cut Sortilena's really weird attempt at blocking PoH (which did happen in the novels, but I didn't imagine that)... Like just the way Asuna and Ronie were prepared to catch Sortilena looked odd. The minimal fight scene was unnecessary compared to dialogue imo.

Yuuki Overabundance. I don't mean Yuuki having a few lines, etc. She just appeared 'physically' / 'ghostly' too many times. There's times when I complain and ask that they 'show and not tell', however, this is the rare occasion I'll ask them to 'tell not show'. I wish it was more of a partial appearance where you 'feel her presence' than just blatantly see Yuuki. Just another personal thought, not a real problem.

The Good Things
Although, I could write novels about what the adaptation is doing wrong or what annoys me personally, it's not like I despise it or anything. The few scenes changed at the end of the opening were great additions imo. All the colorful fx which are most likely not drawn but generated. (If they actually bother drawing all that, well it explains a lot, they should stop what they're doing rn and have more people focus on the actual art).

It's not like I thought the episode was bad or think WOU sucks. I like it. However, that's a result of me enjoying the light novels, and it's really hard to say if the anime has actually added to that experience. Hopefully, that changes with the next few episodes... We're on the final five with roughly 275 pages left to go.

I'm really bored. I'm writing essays that, probably, nobody will read. I just had to get all the issues off my chest though. Feels refreshing.
To have you, Id give a billion lives A-Chan best girl
Aug 16, 2020 5:02 AM

Dec 2015
A lil bit boring this episode. I mean ... PoH guy was cool. But Kirito being emo hurting himself ... and the "oh we need to talk to you to give you strengt" (from Asuna and Kirito to "empower" them) ... felt a bit lengthy. Especially since it was shown for 2 people (Asuna and Kirito).
Aug 16, 2020 5:09 AM

Jun 2016
welcome back !! dog shit protagonist useless MC..
Aug 16, 2020 5:17 AM

Jul 2015
Damn. The writing got do bad, I just can't even. Random things happening, old irrelevant characters shoehorned for no reason and one of the worst execution of Mary Sue trope I have ever seen.

Aug 16, 2020 5:19 AM

Nov 2019
Chiibi said:
Rinrinka said:

Only on opposite day...which means "best".

@MunaXs: your complaints are stupid; yes, Asuna got angel wings because the spirit of a dead girl was watching over her and lending her strength; I cannot think of a more appropriate way to symbolize this.

And all you morons thinking "Power of friendship saves the day" UM WRONG. Were you not paying attention at all? Kirito was only revived because of memories given to him by four people. Because his own soul was destroyed and he did not have memories of his own anymore; that is why he was in a coma.

*facepalm*

They explain this in detail...lol I can't even....

Why are you guys dumb?

You're expecting reason from the last group of people that I can think of.

Kirito didn't suffer in his life. He is a Gary Stu who is always handed a win.
There is nothing called incarnation in this world. Just a bunch of asspulls.
Kirito got up by the power of friendship. Not that the show was building up how they're technically connecting STLs to connect everyone's fluctlights. Everything is BS, there's only power of harem and friendship.
And lastly SAO is shit.
SAO PROGRESSIVE ANIME HYPE
Aug 16, 2020 5:45 AM

Oct 2017
MaDmAnI said:
+ infinity: Eugeos Cameo

- Everyone cheers Asuna on instead of fighting for themselves (was also in the novels)
- infinity: Incarnation
- Asuna can only get up again through Yuuki (You either can or you can't, Eiji continued fighting without arms and Eugeo only with half of his body) --> Bad Character and writing
- Kiritos nightmare (When Kirito is in pain the world stops, but when Eiji and Eugeo are in pain, does it matter less?
- No character development for Kirito, he lied to Sachi (high level) and Eugeo (Kirito cannot die) -> both died
- generic villains
- Mate Chopper should not have the same properties as in SAO, since the simulation would certainly not take such parameters into account.
- Yuuki Scene
- infinity: God mode Kirito (literally Jesus / Messiah / Prophet)

- Eugeo: My sword is already broken, I can no longer live.
Several months later.
Kirito: Enhance Armament.
Me: Ah, it wasn't all broken after all.

Yeah when people are cheering about how great this episode is, this episode is what makes me finally lost it and give it a 1/10.
I usually still give bad anime with great animation a 4~6, but this time it just straight to 1/10 cuz the whole thing appall me too much.
This is Mirai Nikki level of writing and characterization.
Aug 16, 2020 6:17 AM

Aug 2018
This episode was such a good one. I was expecting Yuuki to show up at some point but man... it got me in the feels.
Aug 16, 2020 6:19 AM

Nov 2008
Ventus_S said:

This is Mirai Nikki level of writing and characterization.

Um no. I read Mirai Nikki's manga and no, no, it is not. That series sucks so hard.

@biswa290701:

Clearly this season is doing something right since people are praising it so much. :p The majority of this thread, in fact.

Aug 16, 2020 6:24 AM
Jul 2020
heeee's baaackkkk! :)
Aug 16, 2020 6:33 AM

Jan 2015
I have definitely got emotional right there. So much nostalgia from the first season, such a classic
Aug 16, 2020 6:35 AM

Nov 2011
I might be the only one here who cares but I'll paint you the scene.
I'm laying in bed at 1am watching the new episode. It starts. I hear "Kirito" I sit up out of my bed and say to myself..."That sounded Like Sinon...but I don't think that's Sinon." Kirito keeps walking intil he see's four people. My eyes are fucking wide eyed as we zoom in and see Sachi. My blankets flew into the fucking sky. I was literally screaming "It's Sachi It's Sachi It's FUCKING SACHI!" You don't understand how fucking happy I was. I understand there will be no development from here but to know that Sachi and the blackcats were not Thanos snapped out of existence in this anime made me so fucking happy. It took 50+ episodes for Sachi to make some sort of return and I honestly couldn't have been happier (even though I had to relive the tragedy) I it just showed how important Her and the Blackcats were to Kirito's development.

I'm so sick of Asuna. But I would have rather seen her take out PoH then Kirito is about to.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Aug 16, 2020 6:37 AM

Sep 2016
PoH is yandere for Kirito loooooool
bruh
Aug 16, 2020 6:38 AM

Jun 2017
The people that are complaining about asspulls are going to be seriously triggered in the upcoming episodes. Can't wait to see their reaction. I am surely going to enjoy it.

Sure, this episode wasn't entirely faithful to the LN, but I am happy with the adaptation. Changes to the op is nice. Finally Asuna was given an opportunity to shine.
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld 2nd Season Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kaiseki - Aug 8, 2020

210 by Remiadha »»
Jun 1, 5:20 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld 2nd Season Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 18, 2020

222 by Remiadha »»
Jun 1, 4:06 AM

Poll: » Best SAO girl?

Kazu-chan-san - Mar 20, 2023

15 by ItsAziz »»
Apr 7, 4:06 AM

» Question about Alice

quietkun27 - Mar 24

15 by Superninjaboy2 »»
Mar 25, 1:04 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld 2nd Season Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Sep 19, 2020

320 by Anayan_Kashyap »»
Jan 15, 7:46 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.