Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Dec 4, 2019 12:04 PM

Mar 2017
That was a lot to take in! That scene between Canute and Swyen was so intense and i thought for a minute there that Askeladd was gonna lose his shit! Also i completely agree with Askeladd about Ragnar's brother; i don't trust him at all.

My heartbroke when Askeladd said that Bjorn probably won't survive.... i've really grown to like Bjorn. I hope that his wild, gorilla man-ness will save him somehow.

And Leif has finally made it to England; i really REALLY hope he finds Thorfinn before some awful shit goes down (because i can feel that coming!)
Dec 4, 2019 1:25 PM
May 2019
When that blonde priest turned out to be 23... Such a OMFG moment, I thought he was in his 50s.
Dec 4, 2019 2:26 PM
EOussama

Dec 2016
Great episode. It shows a lot about the aftermath of what happened and sets up what's coming up next. It's almost the end of the season, I wonder when is Vinland going to come into play.
Dec 4, 2019 9:45 PM

Aug 2016
245678 said:
I have to say that this scene was f *** safe the crazy that is p ***

that face dude, that madman face was the last thing many europeans saw during the viking invasions in the middle ages.
:v
Dec 5, 2019 9:29 AM
Sep 2018
operationvalkyri said:
Ciezul said:

Cause Canut has the kingdom, Thorfinn only had his dad when he lost him. So, revenge is justified.
I see it as revenge being justified in either case (without going into the debate of whether revenge is ever justified), but your comment does get me thinking about the stakes of Canute's and Thorfinn's decisions. The former has his kingdom to think of while the latter had only himself. Add to that the fact that Thorfinn was a child when he made the decision.

Well everyone has his own kingdom. Thorfinn has his family. But when Thor was killed, he still a child - having revenge may be a childishly made but it's not that its invalid. Thor was Thorfinn's kingdom. And Thor alone. Other people doesn't matter to him, and rightly.
Canute lost his true father figure, lost his faith in God - but he has a pure Kingdom to grab. So, he makes decisions as to use Askeladd to make to the Crown.
If you compare Thorfinn and Canute's drive, I think selfishly made Thorfinn's childish decision is more appealing than Canute's. Ultimately every men only think about himself.
Join the Last Parade for your anime Salvation
Dec 5, 2019 5:50 PM

May 2018
It's nice to see Virgin Canut become a Chad all of a sudden.

He's a true inspiration to us all.

Interesting how Canut's drive is now "Revenge against his father", whereas Thorfinn's drive is "Revenge for his father".

Maybe revenge and your pop don't go together? Just a thought.
Dec 6, 2019 12:18 AM

May 2018
Ironically, Thorfin just met the real culprit of his father's death - Floki. Or else, is the real culprit king himself? Like king ordered Floki to kill Thors, and Floki hired Askeladd to do this. Anyway, dumb Thorfinn never thought about this possibility and focused only on Askeladd instead. And Askeladd keeps silent, too

Dec 6, 2019 11:28 AM

Oct 2019
I remember the twitter account for Vinland saga saying that there would be "added content" aka not manga canon in this episode, but as I can recall everything in this episode happened in the manga so did I miss something?
Dec 6, 2019 12:57 PM
Nov 2017
Oh man.. Askeladd be mad and Canute's new faces are intimidating af :o
As always; Thorfinn is cute and hot lelel
HAIL VINLAND SAGA!
Dec 7, 2019 4:24 AM

Sep 2019
Thorkell, that bastard, he's already got a SICK-ASS EYEPATCH.
Truly, a necessity for any badass.
(Well, at least for those that lose an eye... to be honest, when you still have both eyes, it kinda loses effect; which is a little annoying if you're like me and you always pick it when customising a character. Would I take a perception disadvantage for an eyepatch? OF COURSE!)

It's also interesting seeing how far Thorfinn has come. I mean, he's survived, thrived, and fought with the best, now is a guard to the Prince without even realising it. I mean, he hasn't mentioned duelling Akseladd for some time now. Speaking of the man; that look that even gave Thorfinn the spooks. Gotta love them intense faces.

Damn, that Monk just become SO DIFFERENT... I mean, at 25 with British blood, I can't grow facial hair nowhere near that level. Then again, I haven't ever left it for years on end.
"You know you've reached peak quality when a doujin is better than the actual source series." (Eg. To LOVE-Ru)

Just to list a couple of biases.
Likes: A good story, characters, writing, romance, a good plot twist or something that breaks expectations (In a good way), 'backstory' and justice.
Dislikes: Bad romance, too much fanservice, the harem genre, yuri, yaoi, and bad writing.

Dec 8, 2019 2:16 AM

Jul 2016
that prince ruined this entire show. so annoying.

the moms of the people who remove signatures are hœs
discord: Jotaakuu#8878

Dec 8, 2019 4:02 AM

Jun 2017
I must say, this episode was so thrilling and intense, looks like the King knows what Canute wants to do, Canute now picked a fight with the king formally. Willbard though, looks so different now, but still a heavy drinker lol. F for Bjorn though, looks like we won't see more of him.
“What do you do when there is an evil you cannot defeat by just means? Do you stain your hands with evil to destroy evil? Or do you remain steadfastly just and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?”
― Lelouch Vi Britannia
Dec 8, 2019 5:53 AM

Dec 2017
Why did the king ask about Askeladd's birth name? Did he know Askeladd's father in person?
I just realized that all of my favorite characters, beside being stunningly beautiful, also happen to be exceptionally skilled murder machines. \('-')/

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Dec 8, 2019 1:03 PM

Oct 2010
Knut first speech: what a beautiful bird, Ragnar, catch it for me!
Knut last speech: I will kill my father and make peace on earth (aprox)
Great intense episode, Knut makes me wanna follow him
Dec 8, 2019 3:35 PM

Aug 2015
Well...I loved the reunion between Canute and his father. Very interesting. Looks like the King is intelligent. Wonder what will happen in the future between the two. The guy at the end (forgot his name), glad to see he's alive. Really want to see the interaction between him and Thorfinn.
Dec 8, 2019 3:53 PM
Apr 2016

Ciezul said:
operationvalkyri said:
Canute's drive is fascinating to witness. It's surprising, though, how easily he can trust and use Askeladd, while Thorfinn, on the other hand, can't let go of his grudge.

Cause Canut has the kingdom, Thorfinn only had his dad when he lost him. So, revenge is justified.

Thorfinn is a stupid brat for not even remembering what his father told him and how much he wanted for Thorfinn to avoid bloodshed. If Thorfinn really wanted to honour his father (~be a coherent character) he would have gone back home already. I do not know why he is there, but his role is to be a pawn in the history as a whole. He is not the main character. Their stupid Nordic land and its culture are.
Re:formed
Dec 8, 2019 6:58 PM
Sep 2018
Daniel_Naumov said:

Ciezul said:

Thorfinn is a stupid brat for not even remembering what his father told him and how much he wanted for Thorfinn to avoid bloodshed. If Thorfinn really wanted to honour his father (~be a coherent character) he would have gone back home already. I do not know why he is there, but his role is to be a pawn in the history as a whole. He is not the main character. Their stupid Nordic land and its culture are.

In some sense I also think that Thorfinn's effect is less than Askeladd in this season. But, since Thorfinn is Leading the show, I hope in future he will improve.
Join the Last Parade for your anime Salvation
Dec 9, 2019 10:28 AM

May 2016
Askeladd getting angry was so well done, it just shows how much he loved her mother.
Dec 12, 2019 8:06 AM

Aug 2016
Ha, I told you Griffith is back. I am not sure if I am suppose to adore Canute or not. Those vibes were real this whole time. Anyway, I don't mind show turning into political drama, I actually like these kind of shows. Shame it's almost end of season.

And those two brothers, end suited for them. I wish them well. And monk? 23. Really?

Anyway, is Askelaad planning to tell Thorfinn who ordered his father death anytime? It could be really help to relieve tension in Canutes camp, Thorfinn could finally get over his fathers death and work with Askeelad properly. On other hand, Thorfinn would do something stupid, like trying to murder leader of Jormsvikings on his own.

Edit: Wait, did they really said, Bjorn, the berserk, is going to die on internal injuries.... oh no... He was one of my favorites, I hoped he going to be in Canute's camp...
Martin_TaylorDec 12, 2019 8:13 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 16, 2019 11:07 AM

Apr 2015
mohrip said:
kidlat020 said:

unpopular opinion but I do think this arc is garbage and I'm saying this from a Christian PoV. see my previous post of you must, but Canute is just being an arrogant proud kid just because he knew the indifference of love. pride will be his downfall and I don't blame him if he couldn't see it. his pride blinds him.

Well, that is the point. You will get how it is and why the king said "the crown is the one who have a power, not the king" or something like that. Canute isn't growing yet. Well, I really want to spoil it, but just wait for S2. That's why a lot of people said it's just a beginning and farmland arc or whatever the name is the best arc of VN.

Mod Edit: Modified quote of edited post.

yeah that's gonna be a tall order. we **can** see that Canute will just go downhill from here thanks to his pride. and that will take how many episodes? and in season 2 no less? that's gonna be a boring shitfest to me until he rises up from his arrogance. or he'll just fall into his own death and destruction? watching an arrogant kid doing arrogant things isn't my type of entertainment.
>I had no brain when I was 12
>Then everyone must had no brain when they were 12
>I experimented 100 samples and proved that they had no brain when they were 12
>Therefore children cannot consent

This is what science has done to humanity.
Dec 17, 2019 4:52 AM
Nov 2017
kidlat020 said:
mohrip said:

Well, that is the point. You will get how it is and why the king said "the crown is the one who have a power, not the king" or something like that. Canute isn't growing yet. Well, I really want to spoil it, but just wait for S2. That's why a lot of people said it's just a beginning and farmland arc or whatever the name is the best arc of VN.

Mod Edit: Modified quote of edited post.

yeah that's gonna be a tall order. we **can** see that Canute will just go downhill from here thanks to his pride. and that will take how many episodes? and in season 2 no less? that's gonna be a boring shitfest to me until he rises up from his arrogance. or he'll just fall into his own death and destruction? watching an arrogant kid doing arrogant things isn't my type of entertainment.

Ah, yes. King Joffrey Baratheon who is too arrogant, fool, and want to destroy what he hates and all people hate him, Griffith who was too naive to think that he can get his own kingdom and ended up to
, Miyamoto Musashi who thinks he can beat all of swordsman and become the great one, and now Canute, he thinks he grows up to a better person and want to made a paradise himself. Of course we all agree that all of that characters are poorly written character.
Dec 19, 2019 8:49 PM

Apr 2015
mohrip said:
kidlat020 said:

Ah, yes. King Joffrey Baratheon who is too arrogant, fool, and want to destroy what he hates and all people hate him, Griffith who was too naive to think that he can get his own kingdom and ended up to
, Miyamoto Musashi who thinks he can beat all of swordsman and become the great one, and now Canute, he thinks he grows up to a better person and want to made a paradise himself. Of course we all agree that all of that characters are poorly written character.

I really don't care about historical faggots... err I mean historical figures.
>I had no brain when I was 12
>Then everyone must had no brain when they were 12
>I experimented 100 samples and proved that they had no brain when they were 12
>Therefore children cannot consent

This is what science has done to humanity.
Dec 20, 2019 3:19 AM

Jul 2013
I don't think it will be easy to kill King Sweyn he looks like a clever bastard and yeah I don't trust that Gunnar either. Also that priest is my age? Lol
Dec 25, 2019 9:17 AM

Dec 2015
Atli is a good guy. He deserves to live on a farm somewhere peacefully. Also, it seems like that guy from Thorfinn's village is still looking for him. The kid should go at least go back temporarily or at least send a messenger or SOMETHING!
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Dec 28, 2019 2:55 AM

Oct 2008
superb episode fansubbed by [Foxtrot]
Askeladd knew the king is a tough one!
lol at Willibard sudden comedy at it's finest.
Askeladd aura felt by Thorfinn was badass! and scary as well!
such treat Seeing Canute totally a different person!
5/5.

Dec 28, 2019 11:31 AM

Aug 2017
If this anime will be ur typical generic historical-action show, Sweyn will be killed and replaced in this episode but we're talking about Vinland Saga, an anime where even side characters has more personality and charisma than ur generic MC in a harem show.

Sweyn looks smart enough to fall into a trap so Canute and the rest must come up with a good plan to kill him. Also, Willibald without the beard was hilarious hahahaha.

All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jan 11, 2020 8:41 PM

May 2019
The profecy-revenge of Canute become real. Now they have the Denmark, nearly a paradise on the earth, safe, peaceful, prosperous, and with most of the population "atheist" in pratice.
Jan 11, 2020 9:25 PM

Mar 2015
That confrontation with the King was tense!

Also, their names are spelled Knut and Svein. I work for Norwegians so I am familiar with Scandinavian names!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Jan 20, 2020 1:09 PM

Nov 2012
Definitely don't trust Ragnar's brother.

I really need thorfinn to wake up soon, why does he still think he needs to be with ask a lad.
I have a third testicle that gives me psychic powers
Mar 11, 2020 4:24 PM

Apr 2016
It was nice to see Askeladd having compassion for his old comrade. Not just that, but the sight of his boiling rage at Sweyn's remarks about his family were interesting to witness too. Solid episode.
Mar 25, 2020 11:19 AM

Mar 2019
This episode was deep.
Come on man,where is that Noragami season 3 masterpiece.We want it, Bones!

May 4, 2020 9:20 AM

Jan 2019
It will be interesting to see Canute's new relationship with Christianity fleshed out. He hasn't out right rejected the faith but he's certainly not devoted either.

The sending off of Atli was heartwarming- maybe Askeladd has learned something from Thors.
May 8, 2020 12:39 PM

May 2016
Canute's confronted the King and even called out his plans right in front of him even when he was surrounded by guards that are ready to kill them without a moment's hesitation and he once again showed that he's the one with the biggest balls in the country now!

Surprisingly, I felt a little bad for Askeladd when he got furious after Sweyn ridiculed his mother. It's a lot more surprising to see that he spared Atli and his mindbroken brother then giving him gold along with a warning while he's at it despite the betrayal and what he did to Björn. As despicable as he is, he still has a heart and he definitely has a high regard on the value of family.

Willibald looks decades younger without the beard but he's more of a drunkard than ever lmao

Jun 1, 2020 1:24 AM

Sep 2015
lihle808 said:
aNoThEr MedIoCRe ePiSoDe AGaIn. wItH caNUtE aNd hIS fAtHEr'S boRiNG sPaT!

tHoRFinN hAS bEcoME aN eYEsOrE fOr mE, HIs sTaNDinG iN tHe sHoW hAs BeCOmE cOntRAdIcToRY AnD lAcklUSteR. BUt hE caN'T bE wOrSe tHAn cANUte tHoUGH oR tHe lAmE deVEloPmeNt oF ThE sTorY.

nO mATtEr hOw mUCh YoU hYPe iT WitH wOrDs lIKe "gReAT ePIsoDe" or sOMe fiXEd raTinGs, tHIs sHoW iS aVerAgE.

^What you sound like to everyone who isn't actively trying to make themselves dislike the show just because it's popular and they want to have a contrary opinion that makes them feel special.
Jun 6, 2020 3:11 AM

Apr 2014
ShinyKing said:
lihle808 said:
aNoThEr MedIoCRe ePiSoDe AGaIn. wItH caNUtE aNd hIS fAtHEr'S boRiNG sPaT!

tHoRFinN hAS bEcoME aN eYEsOrE fOr mE, HIs sTaNDinG iN tHe sHoW hAs BeCOmE cOntRAdIcToRY AnD lAcklUSteR. BUt hE caN'T bE wOrSe tHAn cANUte tHoUGH oR tHe lAmE deVEloPmeNt oF ThE sTorY.

nO mATtEr hOw mUCh YoU hYPe iT WitH wOrDs lIKe "gReAT ePIsoDe" or sOMe fiXEd raTinGs, tHIs sHoW iS aVerAgE.

^What you sound like to everyone who isn't actively trying to make themselves dislike the show just because it's popular and they want to have a contrary opinion that makes them feel special.

Hahahaha, that was actually pretty funny.

I think the story has some problems, and that it's not perfect for sure but it's a lot better than the average.
Jun 6, 2020 3:51 AM

Sep 2015
icanhazqnime said:
ShinyKing said:

I think the story has some problems, and that it's not perfect for sure but it's a lot better than the average.

Yeah, I'm not saying the show is without flaws, but notice that the guy I quoted doesn't really offer any concrete criticism, he simply throws insults at it. That's how you can tell that he's just hating on it for the sake of trying to be different, when he can't even point out any legitimate issues.
Jun 6, 2020 5:29 AM

Apr 2014
ShinyKing said:
icanhazqnime said:

Yeah, I'm not saying the show is without flaws, but notice that the guy I quoted doesn't really offer any concrete criticism, he simply throws insults at it. That's how you can tell that he's just hating on it for the sake of trying to be different, when he can't even point out any legitimate issues.

Oh yeah! He's a total troll, I've noticed he's made simailir comments on several episodes. Critique is to discuss the parts that could have been done better not just fling unfounded opinions around
Jun 8, 2020 7:54 AM
Dec 2019
Canute is quickly becoming a great character, and a favourite of mine. Though he can never come close the Thorkell, who looks even more badass with an eye-patch.

Thorfinn training at night, shows how skilful he is with his knives, even with a damaged arm he's still lethal.

Askeladd's rage was scary, i cant wait to see if his rage consumes him and he goes crazy.
Jun 10, 2020 1:56 PM
Sep 2018
A pretty good episode, new alliance
Jul 12, 2020 1:42 PM

Mar 2010
Ah this is gonna go full political, nothing but tactics and witty movements at this point. Yet they keep it interesting.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Sep 1, 2020 8:02 AM

Feb 2013
The talk with the king was tense.
Oct 4, 2020 11:28 PM
Oct 2019
Scheming between Sweyn and Canute factions against each other. Cool cool. I can dig.

Ragnar's brother adds a new element.

Leif is still out there searching.
HagePotPotatoOct 4, 2020 11:35 PM
Dec 30, 2020 2:07 AM

Jul 2015
I find it pretty funny to see Thorfinn following Canute and the rest, while they are trying to take down the king, only because Askeladd is there and no other reason. I hope at some point, Thorfinn discovers who ordered his dad's murder, so he can besides Askeladd also take down Floki.

Feb 15, 2021 12:12 AM
Jan 2021
I'm just surprised to see Askellad's loyalty and respect for his mother.

Great episode 5/5
Nbz_NamikazeFeb 15, 2021 12:16 AM
May 12, 2021 3:37 PM
Jun 2020
this show has changed so much, and it's so great.the fight between king and prince will be a tough. finally we see Leif again, i was wondering when he was gonna show up, i would love see him crying over what has become of Thorfinn. ahh Thorfinn, still trying to beat Askeladd and still training for it. i love the group of characters now. We now them all very well and we've seen em grow. i can't wait to see the next ep!
Jun 27, 2021 1:38 AM

Jun 2020
Floki was surprised there and I would too because Canute's change was so fast he didn't expect this to happen even with Thorkell as his ally

A reunion with a son and its father a murderous reunion at least as Askeladd and Thorfinn sniffed out the assassins that were waiting for orders, This king really wants his son dead

I'm really amazed how Canute really changed himself for the best and prepared himself for war if it's coming to them and taking the crown to take his father's place.
Jul 14, 2021 2:00 AM
Jul 2018
Did you cry?

I was on the verge of crying don't know why?
Aug 6, 2021 3:23 AM

Apr 2013
Not a very eventful episode, guess no matter what they do they can just get along with everyone.
Sep 8, 2021 8:35 AM

Jul 2020
I'm really hoping to see a reunion episode with Thorfinn and his family. Damn, Leif is still looking for Thorfinn and hasn't given up yet. I hope the reunion lasts the whole episode.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Sep 26, 2021 8:47 AM

Mar 2016
Floki you fool! You absolute buffoon! You'd best do well to not underestimate how much a man can change when he decided not to take shit from others anymore! Not even God himself.

Alright, it's been fun watching this show for the last 20 eps, but only now did the story actually become more intriguing. Witnessing Canute and his vassals undertake an ambitious goal of immense difficulties is wildly entertaining, the aspect of them using their intelligence, wit and respective abilities to tackle various tasks to progress are all very engaging. It's a story of the underdog patiently and carefully hunting for the top dog, namely Canute and King Sveyn.

Needless to say, this is the best ep so far, seriously... Canute really did fulfil his proclamation to give meaning to the Vikings' desire for battles and death, there is no greater pleasure than to bask in a war to claim a throne that allows its ruler to wield immensely overbearing authoritative powers.

Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 15, 2019

256 by FarCritical »»
11 hours ago

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2019

259 by FarCritical »»
12 hours ago

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 24, 2019

329 by FarCritical »»
May 29, 8:09 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 17, 2019

397 by FarCritical »»
May 27, 12:48 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 3, 2019

259 by FarCritical »»
May 27, 11:57 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.